· The Final Cut
Smoking Ban
ROCKPAGE Forum Index » The Law
previous topic :: next topic  
todd17063
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Posted: Sunday Oct 05, 2008 

Well gang my band had its first gig since the start of the smoking ban and all I gotta say is.. DAMN what a crowd killer. I talked to the bartender during our break and she told me ever since the ban started its killing business.. What has everyone else seen?
 Back to top »
slackin@dabass
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Post Posted: Monday Oct 06, 2008 

i think it depends on where you play. we've played pellie's, aldo's and 4d's since the start. at pellie's, wich is non-smoking, it was so so, and at aldo's and 4d's, those rooms are still allowed smoking, so it's hard for me to guage.
 Back to top »
KyleMayket
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

I can say, since the ban, the wife and I went out once, 2 days after the ban started and we totally forgot we couldn't smoke at a restaurant. But we haven't gone out to a public place since.
Lisa
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

It has had its affects on business for sure. Dive bars that don't offer food are seeing an increase. Our place is seeing a slight decrease later in the evening. Once it gets cold out, they want to go somewhere that they don't have to go outside to smoke. We have the deck and that is nice because they don't have to leave their drinks behind at least. If its busy enough, we fire up a propane heater for them but that gets expensive. They do appreciate that we are trying to make it comfortable for them. Thing is...if your smokers go somewhere else, the non-smokers will follow the crowd.

We haven't had a band night yet so we'll see how it goes.
 Back to top »
PanzerFaust
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

My only experience was catching the Hurricanes at Pellys and wow what a great experience with no smoking.. I never smoked but really never gave much thought about others smoking either (didn't bother me a bit)..

But the morning after Pellys not having to smell the stink on my clothes from the night before and in my hair was awsome...

I used to hate playing the old Sabs/Monkey Wharf on 4th St. cause Claudio had vents blowing right at the stage... I remember having to burn some shirts after wearing them to play there... Not to mention my lungs felt like I sucked on a car exhaust all night...

I'm curious how it'll get after winter kicks in too... Didn't seem like anyone minded going outside to smoke last week but that may change come Jan/Feb. Shocked
 Back to top »
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger ICQ Number
songsmith

I've been watching local news reports... just last night, they said that fire company bingo attendance is down. I remarked to my wife that they get a certain crowd at bingo nights... many are on fixed incomes, Social Security and SSI-types, and those people will NEVER quit smoking, so (gasp) they QUIT GOING TO BINGO! You know how some people are about bingo! I'm making light of it, but firehalls like Pinecroft have been VERY lucrative as an income source for the company. I was under the impression that the law didn't affect private clubs, and they don't serve alcohol at bingo (thank God, little old ladies would be packin' heat), so there must be something I'm missing.
On the other hand, Channel 6 said that attendance is up in many of the places they went to (restaurant/bars). My guess is it's still shaking out. Somebody on TV brought up a very valid point recently: Only 20% of adults smoke at all. That means 80% don't. Do you ignore the 80% because the 20% are addicted, and therefore plan their activities around their need? And how many smokers don't smoke in their houses, because of a child, spouse, or desire to retain the value/cleanliness of their home? If you can stand on the porch at home, why not in town? I have an occasional cigar, but I agree with my wife that my living room ain't the place, so I go outside. I like beans, too, but I don't want my house smelling like Bob Marley.
We're restarting .OO Buck soon, for the winter. I'm curious to see how the older clubgoers react to the ban. My guess is it weeds a few out, and brings in people who haven't been out in a long time. If I were a clubowner, I'd market to that.---->JMS
 Back to top »
Hawk
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

You have to include other variables as well. Some people are in debt and some people are just spending less across the board. Retail is being hit as much as bars.
Triple Threat
 Back to top »
todd17063
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

I hope the trend changes because if not alot of places that still have bands will stop doing so.. Its hard enough getting gigs now unless you get into a rotation like we are in..
 Back to top »
JackANSI
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Location: Workin' in a Soylent factory, Waitin' for the Malthusian catastrophe.

This is what I was worried about... not knowing what the result of the ban truly is until its too late...

All data I can find points to the ban being a good thing in the long run...

But data isn't money in the pocket.

Don't get me wrong though.. Every time I play at a place the ban is in effect, I plan on thanking the owner for sticking it out with a large tip.

Smokers can stick a lit cigarette up their @#$ for all I care. I feel no sympathy. I got none as a non-smoker...
 Back to top »
todd17063
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Posted: Tuesday Oct 07, 2008 

i too am a non smoker actually im the only non smoker in my band. so when all my bandmates go out for a smoke at break time and its cold outside, i get to stay inside where its nice and warm..
 Back to top »
Lisa
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Posted: Monday Nov 03, 2008 

First major event since the ban and I would have to say...it didn't hurt one bit. We had about 400 people in attendance. Now, we've done more than most bars that went smokefree in that we have a special smoking vip lounge on the deck with a wonderful canopy with walls and windows, heaters, tv, etc. Nice area actually even if you don't smoke. We get a lot of compliments on this lounge. Few lit up by habit...but quickly took it to the lounge or put it out. Compliments on the no smoking and no complaints. So, that's all good.

Actually, local competition has smoking. Did hear a complaint about them but it was more to compliment us Smile Gotta love it.

I didn't have to clean butts out of the urinals and find more burns on the carpet. I think I'm starting to really like the ban.
 Back to top »
Lisa
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Posted: Monday Nov 10, 2008 

If you want to know where you can go legally to smoke, here is the website that tells you....the dept of health still have a lot of review of applications to do so they update this site often. Some places are illegal allowing the smoking...they had to have applied before Sept 11 to still be smoke free even if they think they qualify for the exemption. Just because you qualify, does not mean you can be smokefree. Those that did not have their applications turned in by Sept 11, must be smoke free until they are approved. If you at least applied prior to then, you can be smoke free until you are denied. This is a concern for the public because if you are caught smoking in a place that isn't approved, you too are fined....(probably just warned if the place isn't posted properly)

Oops, forgot the link
http://www.dsf.health.state.pa.us/health/cwp/view.asp?a=174&Q=251758
 Back to top »
ROCKPAGE Forum Index » The Law
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: