· The Forums
· The Final Cut
Upright Bass
ROCKPAGE Forum Index » Items for Sale / Wanted to Buy
previous topic :: next topic  
Hal

Post Posted: Wednesday Nov 18, 2009 

Hey all,

I was throwing around the idea of buying an upright bass or slap bass or whatever you call them these days! I used to play guitar a good many years ago and have always been a local band supporter. My variety of music has expanded due to locals such as the Marauders, Rusty Gun Revival, and Mama Corn and have really been into Lee Rocker etc this past year or two.

So, I have had this itch to get back into playing something and i think this is my calling. Do you guys have any suggestions on where to shop, what would suit me best, and also where to possible take lessons? Just trying to get an idea on cost right now, but may pursue this soon! Thanks.
 Back to top »
Colton
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

If i ever learned a second instrument, this would be it!
nonamenogenre

What you're looking for is an Upright bass. You can spend anywhere from 200 to over 3000 for a good bass. It's all about what you're willing to invest.
http://bass-guitars.musiciansfriend.com/upright-bass
check there for all your options. Online is the cheapest you'll find it. Lessons are probably offered at Music Emporium, but don't quote me on that.
 Back to top »
MOONDOGGY
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

I'd push for an electric upright (EUB). They're MUCH more economical- They travel great, they're not as fragile, and they're considerably cheaper than a quality acoustic upright.

There's many manufacturers to choose from. I've heard both good & bad about Ergo EUBs. Dean, Barker, and many other companies make fairly cheap EUBs, but they're 34" or 35" scale like a normal electric bass. If I were to get an EUB, I'd want a full 4/4 or 3/4 scale length (approx 41.5-43") to get the most natural upright sound. There's also great companies like Kydd, Azola, Carruthers, and many more that specialize in EUBs. Personally, I've been dreaming of NS Designs EUBs. They're not cheap at all, but from what I've heard, they're among the best.

I'm sure some will say there's absolutely no substitute for a full acoustic upright, but I'd take whatever loss there is in tone and feel for the convenience of an EUB. Just my 2 cents.

All kinetic, no potential.

Back to top »
songsmith

EUB's are definitely cool for a lot of applications, I like the Azola bass TJKelly had... bear in mind, though, you wouldn't be able to play without electricity. Bluegrass jams at festivals are an excellent way to learn, because you can basically be playing songs right away, with a band. Plus, dogboxers are in HUGE demand.--->JMS
 Back to top »
MOONDOGGY
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Yes, that's true. You'd need an amp w/ an EUB. But if you have a big enough jam session w/ multiple guitars, fiddles, mandolins, or especially drums, then you'd most likely need to amplify an acoustic upright anyway. And having control over your volume would make practicing at home a little more convenient as well. Heck, you can even use headphones!

All kinetic, no potential.

Back to top »
Hal

Post Posted: Friday Nov 20, 2009 

Thanks everyone! I will be checking out a lot of websites etc to get this ball rolling. Thanks again!
 Back to top »
guff

Post Posted: Sunday Nov 22, 2009 

Upright is really cool. I started playing about a year ago. Check out your local Craigslist. There are always some good deals on there. Also, put a 'wanted' ad in the Traders guide. You'll be amazed how many calls you'll get. People have them sitting in their attics and just want to get rid of them and they are usually the ones you want! Good luck, it's a great instrument!
ROCKPAGE Forum Index » Items for Sale / Wanted to Buy
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: