· The Final Cut
WEEKEND RECAP 10/9/06
ROCKPAGE Forum Index » JP's Corner
previous topic :: next topic  
Jim Price

Post Posted: Wednesday Jan 31, 2007 

WEEKEND RECAP 10/9/06

GRADE E @ AL’S TAVERN, ALTOONA 10/5/06

After putting in a late evening at the workplace, I headed over to Al’s Tavern for some grooves and grub. The grooves, of course, were courtesy of Grade E’s bi-weekly Thursday performance.

Guitarist/singer Chris Vipond, bassist Mike Stanley and Todd Harshbarger were laying the grooves on thick and heavy as I arrived, mixing up original songs and an eclectic selection of favorites into the grooves. Some of the songs that made their appearance as Grade E jammed their way along included G. Love & Special Sauce’s “Stepping Stones,” Talking Heads’ “Burning Down the House,” and Prince’s “Kiss;” as well as a number of original numbers. A mid-sized gathering of folks were digging the sounds and cheering along the way; enough so to prompt an encore at night’s end. Grade E wrapped up the night with some funky grooves that incorporated Parliament’s “Give Up The Funk (Tear the Roof Off the Sucker)” and EMF’s “Unbelievable.”

Good grooves, good eats, good time. And a good way to cap a Thursday night.

POPSHOP @ 4D’S LOUNGE, ALTOONA 10/6/06

It had been a while since I had seen eastern PA party force PopShop in action, so I headed over to the 4D’s Lounge this Friday night for an update. I arrived during the intermission prior to the start of PopShop’s second set.

PopShop has undergone a few changes since the last time I saw them. Eric Klein still sings and plays keys, but he has a new frontlady alongside him, Emily Carr. Brad Mills plays lead guitar, Eric Bishop bass, and former Axum drum man Chris Monteagudo now staffs the drum kit.

As PopShop started into their second set, it was apparent that ‘pop’ is still a key ingredient of their repertoire, as the group performed pop hits spanning the 80’s to today. As they opened the set with Kenny Loggins’ “Footloose,” a number of ladies instantly took up position on the dance floor in front of the stage. With Eric and Emily sharing and alternating lead vocal duties, PopShop continued with hits from Culture Club, Cyndi Lauper, Michael Jackson, No Doubt, Violent Femmes, R.E.M., Bon Jovi, Journey, a disco medley, the Police and more. PopShop maintained a brisk and tight pace, giving the dance floor participants no opportunity to want to sit down.

PopShop sounded good. Eric’s and Emily’s voices were in good form, and instrumentally the group was together and on target. And Rockpage’s own Onetooloud was providing the sound production, giving PopShop enough booming low-end thunder to induce bowel movements.

Speaking with Eric during the second intermission, I learned that he also has an original project called Days Before Tomorrow, and that they were soon to release a debut CD called Holidays In My Basement. He handed me a three-song sampler with tracks from the forthcoming album – good stuff!

Soon the nightcap set was under way, and PopShop again had the dance floor packed in short order as they performed hits from Jane’s Addiction, Greenday, Ramones, Kelly Clarkson, Def Leppard, Guns’N’Roses, Ozzy Osbourne, Vanilla Ice and Alice In Chains. As with the previous set, this set rode at a constant high energy level; and PopShop’s happy vibes and enthusiasm fed the dance floor crowd’s festive mood, escalating the party as it continued along.

So although some faces in the band have changed, PopShop’s good time vibes have not, and this band continues to deliver a top-notch party. Based on the good-sized crowd and smiling faces I witnessed this night, more PopShop sightings at the 4D’s Lounge are likely in the coming months.

Eric Bishop of PopShop.

Emily Carr and Eric Klein of PopShop.

Multi-tasking as singer and videographer, Eric Klein of PopShop.

Again, Eric Klein of PopShop.

PopShop keeps ‘em dancing in front of the stage at the 4D’s.

Brad Mills of PopShop.

Brad Mills and Eric Klein of PopShop.

Chris Monteagudo of PopShop.

Again, Chris Monteagudo of PopShop.

Eric Klein and Eric Bishop of PopShop.

One more time, Eric Klein of PopShop.

DELTAPALOOZA @ ST. FRANCIS UNIVERSITY, LORETTO 10/7/06

It was a busy early October weekend in this part of the world, with several regional festivals and events going on. Bedford’s annual Fall Foliage Festival kicked off this day (I would travel there on Sunday), and Cresson’s Heritage Days celebration took place this weekend as well. I headed there first to see if I could catch some music and grub; I missed the former but caught the latter.

After leaving Cresson, I headed a short distance to Loretto, and the campus of St. Francis University, where an outdoor benefit concert was taking place outside the JFK Center. Delta Sigma Phi Fraternity was presenting the first-ever DeltaPalooza concert, to raise money for the National MS Society.

It was rather quiet as I arrived, and only a handful of people were in attendance as the show was set to start. To my surprise, a familiar face I hadn’t seen in a while was running production; former Vs. The Earth/Nevermoure drum man Shawn Hocherl! Shawn was having some technical difficulties early on, as a power discrepancy was not permitting the stage to be adequately juiced to run his sound system. Shawn and St. Francis’ utility person eventually figured the problem out and resolved it, but it did impact the first entertainers on the bill, local St. Francis group Lost Season.

Performing as an acoustic duo, Lost Season first began to perform onstage, but when the power issues surfaced, the group moved off the stage and into the stagefront lawn to perform totally unplugged without amplification. The small crowd of onlookers cheered on the pair for their “the show must go on” attitude. Lost Season proceeded to perform a mixture of original songs and select covers. The original songs included such titles as “Better Undone” and “Fear of Failure and Car Crashes;” while their cover selection included numbers from Dashboard Confessional and Jimmy Eats World. In spite of the technical issues, Lost Season was well-received by the small audience, and did a decent job to start things off.

Making the best of a less-than-ideal situation, Lost Season performs totally unplugged and unamplified.

Back onstage with power restored, Lost Season.

The sound issues were resolved by the time the next performer, local solo performer Scott Augeri, took the stage. Scott had another guitarist with him (I didn’t catch his name); the two performed unplugged favorites from Sister Hazel, Counting Crows, John Denver, Eagle Eye Cherry, Greenday, Rusted Root and more.

With an unidentified guest helping out, Scott Augeri (on microphone).

More students started to arrive, and although not crowded by any means, there was now at least some crowd present, enough to generate some excitement as the show’s headliners, Ricky Lee & the Mustangs, set up shop for the finale.

Soon Ricky and the Mustangs were ready to go, and the country music party was on! Ricky and his Mustangs cast – guitarists Randy “Jackson” Rutherford and Rick Wertz, bassist Fritz Wyland, keyboardist/singer Mary Villani and drummer Clint Carothers – performed a blend of country originals, country and rock’n’roll favorites; and quickly had the St. Francis audience cheering and getting crazy. Ricky and the Mustangs did a number of original tunes, such as “My Kinda Girl,” “This Hat Ain’t No Act,” “Every Time I Give the Devil a Ride,” “Magic Lessons,” “The House That Jack Built,” “Barbecue Snake and Apple Pie” and more. The group also did popular country favorites such as Big & Rich’s “Save a Horse, Ride a Cowboy,” Hank Sr.’s “Good Hearted Woman,” Brooks & Dunn’s “Neon Moon” and “Boot Scootin’ Boogie,” Travis Tritt’s “T-R-O-U-B-L-E” and more; and broke out rock’n’roll favorites such as John Mellencamp’s “Hurts So Good” and “Pink Houses” (with ladies joining Ricky and the band onstage on the latter), Loggins & Messina’s “Your Mama Don’t Dance” and more.

The vibe was excitement, and the St. Francis crowd enthusiastically embraced the country sounds Ricky and the Mustangs were delivering. Shawn Hocherl’s sound mix gave the group appropriate thunder and clarity; all combining for a good-time party. When the crowd demanded an encore, Ricky Lee and the Mustangs answered with one more, a rendition of Dwight Yoakum’s “Faster Than You” to close the night.

Although attendance was lower than hoped, organizers were happy enough with the inaugural DeltaPalooza that a sequel will happen in 2007. (Ricky Lee & the Mustangs already have the show listed on Ricky’s website; it will happen on Saturday, September 15.)

Ricky Lee & the Mustangs kick off their performance.

Again, Ricky Lee & the Mustangs.

Randy “Jackson” Rutherford of Ricky Lee & the Mustangs.

Again, Ricky Lee.

Ricky Lee welcomes some ladies onstage.

Ricky Lee and some of his newest St. Francis fans.

The party continues with Ricky Lee & the Mustangs.

More fun with Ricky Lee & the Mustangs.

Some fans cheer on Ricky Lee & the Mustangs.

QUEEN OVER KINGS @ WHITE LADY TAVERN, BUCKHORN 10/7/06

With DeltaPalooza ending prior to the start of standard bar time live music action, I headed to the White Lady Tavern on the crest of the Buckhorn, to check out a band I had never seen before, Queen Over Kings.

Although Queen Over Kings is a new name, it turns out that two of the faces that comprise the band were faces I hadn’t seen on area stages in a long time, the husband and wife duo of Dale and Therese Perino. Most recently onstage with Force Of Habit over a decade ago, Dale plays guitar and Therese plays keys and sings. Andy Lubert sings most lead vocals and plays bass, and Scott Ying plays drums.

As their first set unfolded, Queen Over Kings performed classic rock and favorites from the 60’s, 70’s and 80’s. This set included tunes from the Doobie Brothers, Bryan Adams, Rolling Stones, Steve Miller Band, Badfinger, Van Morrison, Journey, John Cafferty & the Beaver Brown Band, The Cure, Stevie Ray Vaughan and more. The group was steady and solid on their instruments, and generated a good head of steam as the set progressed. What stood out to me the most, though, were vocals. Andy has quite a voice! He absolutely nailed the Steve Perry high notes on Journey’s “Lovin’ Touchin’ Squeezin,’” and he and Therese combined for some good vocal harmonies throughout the set. To her credit, Therese still has a decent voice as well, and she showed some range and grit on the group’s treatment of 4 Non Blondes” “What’s Up.”

Speaking with Dale briefly during the intermission, I learned that this band was about having a good time and playing music that they liked. The members of Queen Over Kings have families and day jobs, and this band is a release for them to kick back and have some fun on the weekends. They don’t play out all that frequently, only a few times a month, and mostly on the VFW and private club circuit around the area.

Thus far, Queen Over Kings had only a small audience to play for during the first set. But response to the band from those folks was favorable, and a few more people started to trickle into the White Lady as the second set got under way.

Therese fronted the group on the second set’s first song, Sam & Dave’s “Soul Man.” The group kicked into more classics with Grand Funk Railroad’s “Some Kind Of Wonderful.” Several dancers took to the floor as the group combined Romantics’ “What I Like About You” and John Mellencamp’s “R.O.C.K. in the U.S.A.” into a short medley. This was followed by another short medley, as Queen Over Kings sandwiched the Beatles’ “Ticket to Ride” and “I Feel Fine” into the context of Bad Company’s “Rock and Roll Fantasy,” keeping the dancers active in the process. The group continued in the Paul Rodgers vein with Free’s “All Right Now,” before Therese again demonstrated her vocal range on Melissa Etheridge’s “I’m the Only One.” The group then continued with Dobie Gray’s “Drift Away.”

At this point, I departed the White Lady, as there was another band down the mountain in the ‘Toona that I wanted to check out. But what I saw from Queen Over Kings was good; and if you’re up for some good, hard-nosed classic rock’n’roll, this band is worthy of your attention.

Queen Over Kings rocks and rolls at the White Lady Tavern.

Again, Queen Over Kings entertains at the White Lady Tavern.

Proving she can still belt, Therese Perino of Queen Over Kings.

Andy Lubert of Queen Over Kings.

Scott Ying of Queen Over Kings.

Dale Perino of Queen Over Kings.

LEADFOOT @ CITY LIMITS, ALTOONA 10/7/06

From the White Lady Tavern, I proceeded to City Limits, where the Harrisburg-based arena rock band Leadfoot was making their Altoona debut.

I arrived in the middle of Leadfoot's second set, and was happy to see a good-sized crowd at City Limits to take in their debut. Among the audience members were some esteemed guests, the majority of local hair-band rockers Hair Force One. After Leadfoot performed Ted Nugent's "Cat Scratch Fever," the group welcomed Hair Force One frontman Victor Synn up to the stage to sing lead vocals on Ratt's "Round and Round," before closing out the set with versions of Ozzy's "Bark At The Moon" and Great White/Ian Hunter's "Once Bitten Twice Shy."

After the intermission, Leadfoot welcomed the Hair Force One contingent onstage. Leadfoot's drummer, Victor Synn, and guitar/keyboard man Phillip DaPussee were on the stage, along with a bass player and guitarist who strangely resembled bassman Iva Biggin and guitarist Michael J. Cox without the hair (maybe they were the musicians' fathers...yeah, that's it! Laughing). Together, this gathering of musicians kicked off Leadfoot's nightcap set with Motley Crue's "Girls Girls Girls." The rest of the Leadfoot line-up - singer James Thomas, guitarists Shane and Pat, and bassist Kip - returned to the stage, and continued with various hard-rocking classics from the 70's and 80's, from Guns'N'Roses, Ram Jam, Ratt, Kiss, Metallica, Van Halen, Ozzy Osbourne, Judas Priest, Twisted Sister and more. There was a steady group of people on the dance floor throughout Leadfoot's set, and after the group capped their set with Kiss' "Rock and Roll All Night," that crowd beckoned for an encore. Leadfoot rewarded them with AC/DC's "You Shook Me All Night Long" to close out the night.

I was impressed from what I saw from Leadfoot. James was a feisty frontman with a good voice, who worked all corners of the stage; I was also impressed with Shane's and Pat's dual leads and guitar harmonies. You could tell these guys loved the vein of metal and arena rock they were performing; they were focused and tight in their execution.

It was a headbanging good time to finish out my Saturday night. And based by the success of their debut, expect to see more of Leadfoot in these parts in the months ahead.

Some members of Hair Force One help Leadfoot get their last set of the night started.

Again, Lead Force One.

Creating some 80’s decadence of their own, Leadfoot.

Again, Leadfoot.

James Thomas of Leadfoot.

Half of the guitar tandem of Leadfoot, Pat.

Once again, Leadfoot.

Shane and Kip of Leadfoot.

Leadfoot’s drummer.

James and Shane of Leadfoot.

Again, Pat of Leadfoot.

More hard rocking with Leadfoot.

Once again, James of Leadfoot.

Continuing to put pedal to the metal, Leadfoot.

Leadfoot’s efforts are rewarded with a busy dance floor at City Limits.

BEDFORD FALL FOLIAGE FESTIVAL, BEDFORD 10/8/06

On my agenda for this day was a roadtrip to Bedford to check out the second day of the Bedford Fall Foliage Festival. This festival expanded their live music schedule substantially this year, with music happening on two stages throughout each day. I was particularly interested in checking out the Bedford debut of Norman Nardini, and also my first look at longtime Philadelphia rock'n'rollers the Flamin' Caucasians.

After parking and riding the free shuttle bus over (the shuttle was free, but it cost money to park at the Bedford County Fairgrounds), I arrived at the festival just as Norman Nardini was approaching the end of his first set. Noting that Bedford was Steeler country, Norman, bassist Harry Bottoms and drummer Whitey Cooper brought some young fans onstage as they performed the "Steeler Nation Polka." Norman then introduced his next song as his worst song – and most popular one – before launching into "Love Dog." Then warning the Bedford audience, "Bedford, don't make me come out there and love you," Norman closed out his first set with his title song, the Sue Thompson-popularized 60's chestnut "Norman," which even included a Norman midsong rap! It was obviously Norman Nardini craziness at the Bedford Fall Foliage Festival!

During the intermission, I went to procure some edibles from the nearby food stands out along the street, and upon my return ran into area music fans Steve and Kim Lockard. (This would be the last time I would speak with Steve before he passed away in December.) Like me, Steve and Kim made the roadtrip down to Bedford to see Norman Nardini, and were enjoying what they were seeing so far.

Soon Norman and his bandmates returned to the gazebo stage, and kicked into a surf-flavored instrumental to help the Bedford crowd "shake that monkey loose." Warmed back up, the group then launched into "Mr. Right Now," followed by "Who-Dat-Do-Dat," and a rendition of Kris Kristofferson's "Help Me Make It Through the Night." Declaring that "Johnny Cash is appropriate for all occasions," Norman and mates then kicked into "Folsom Prison Blues," which drew an older lady in a walker up in front of the stage to dance and groove along. Norman applauded the lady, declaring "She got a lot of HOT!" (Steve Lockard was cheering this woman from the rear of the crowd, yelling "Go Granny! Go Granny!" This was a funny memory I will always have of him.) Norman then did another of his own, "I Want to Get to Know That Girl," before introducing Elmore James' "Shake Your Money Maker" to close the show. At show's end, Norman issued another classic Nardini-ism as he thanked the Fall Foliage Festival audience for their support; "Frost on the pumpkin...And I wish I was a country bumpkin!"

Norman and his brand of 'Pittsville, Pennsyltucky' rock'n'soul went over well with this new Bedford audience. After the show, Norman admitted to me that he wasn't sure how his humor-laden show would go over with this audience, and he was uncertain how crazily he should behave. But Bedford handled it well, and the crowd cheered louder approval with each song. It was a good time, for new and old Norman fans alike.

With some youngsters onstage to celebrate the “Steeler Nation Polka,” Norman Nardini and his band.

Norman Nardini and Whitey Cooper.

Again, Norman Nardini.

The pride of Pittsville, Pennsyltucky, Norman Nardini and his band.

Singing and laying down some bottoms end, Harry Bottoms of Norman Nardini’s band.

Once again, Norman Nardini and Whitey “Clyde” Cooper.

Multi-tasking as balloon artist and gazebo stage emcee at Bedford’s Fall Foliage Festival, Dennie Huber.

After I finished chatting with Norman, I decided to head down the hill toward the river to catch some live music on the lower stage. The band that was scheduled to perform at 3 PM was Rick K. & the All Nighters, a show band from West Virginia. My game plan was to catch their first set, and then head back uphill to the gazebo stage to see the second set from Flamin' Caucasians, who also started at 3. Rick K. & the All Nighters seemed to be a little behind in arriving and getting set up, and as the scheduled start time arrived, the group did not take the stage. Not a big deal, they were running a little late, which happens now and then. Five minutes passed. Ten. Fifteen. Twenty. Still no band. Some of the seated crowd began to grow restless, as I was. I wanted to see Flamin' Caucasians, and wasn't going to miss them because I waited around for this group to show up onstage. I gave them another five minutes, and then left. Sucks for them.

I arrived back at the upper stage as Flamin' Caucasians were in the midst of their first set. Guitarist Bill Currier, keyboardist Billy Killoran, bassist Bernie Carville and drummer Dave Consono (all four members sing) were entertaining another good-sized Bedford audience with a mix of 60’s, 70’s and 80’s rock’n’roll. The remainder of their first set featured renditions of the McCoys’ “Hang On Sloopy,” Dobie Gray’s “Drift Away,” the Human Beinz’ “Nobody But Me,” Dion’s “The Wanderer,” and Tommy Tutone’s “867-5309/Jenny.”

The Flamin’ Caucasians’ latter set showed more of the group’s variety and versatility, with each member of the band getting to enjoy some of the spotlight. Drummer Dave sang lead on the set-opening version of Jimmy Holiday’s “Ready Willing and Able;” followed by Bernie fronting the group on Todd Rundgren’s “Bang On The Drum.” Billy then sang lead on the Bangles’ “Walk Like An Egyptian,” and Bill showed his soulful voice on “It’s Alright.” The group continued to share vocal duties on a wide range of material from K.C. & the Sunshine Band, Stray Cats, Paul Simon, Louis Armstrong, Johnny Cash, John Mellencamp, Tom Petty, Jerry Lee Lewis and more. The group generated a good head of steam as they went along, and drew the crowd into the excitement of their performance. The elderly lady in the walker returned to the front of the stage to groove along, and played it up for the band and crowd, even smacking herself in the rear end – spunky old lady! The Flamin’ Caucasians provided their share of highlights as well, with Dave firing off a drum solo coming out of Paul Simon’s “Late In The Evening” before doing his best Louis Armstrong growl on “What a Wonderful World.” As the group entered the homestretch of their performance, they had the crowd singing rowdily along on the Isley Brothers’ “Shout.” When the Bedford crowd demanded an encore, Flamin’ Caucasians first answered with Bruce Springsteen’s “Glory Days,” before finishing the day with “Seven Nights of Rock.”

Flamin’ Caucasians lived up to their billing, and delivered the good time. Their performance was energetic, driving, lighthearted and fun; and the Bedford audience didn’t want the party to end. Based on this performance, it was easy to understand why this band has been a favorite in southeastern PA for over 20 years!

Thus ended my Bedford Fall Foliage Festival experience for this year. Norman Nardini and the Flamin’ Caucasians provided fun performances, and made it worth the drive down to check out.

Bill Currier and Bernie Carville of Flamin’ Caucasians.

Bernie Carville of Flamin’ Caucasians.

Bill Currier of Flamin’ Caucasians.

Flamin’ Caucasians rock’n’roll the Bedford Fall Foliage Festival gazebo stage.

Even old ladies in strollers can’t help but move along to Bernie Carville and Flamin’ Caucasians.

Go Granny Go Granny Go Granny Go!

Billy Killoran of Flamin’ Caucasians.

Into his drum solo, Dave Consono of Flamin’ Caucasians.

Again, Dave Consono of Flamin’ Caucasians.

One more time, Dave Consono of Flamin’ Caucasians.

TIL DECEMBER/BRAINBELL JANGLERS @ PELLEGRINE’S, ALTOONA 10/8/06

Some of their critics might say that Til December has been in a rut of late, that their frequent visits to Pellegrine’s feature many of the same songs and routine; and that the group needs to change things up a little bit. I don’t think this night was quite what the doctor ordered, though.

For the record, the doctor – some doctor – was ordering new Til December drum man Tony Esposito to sit out this night’s Pellegrine’s show after Tony injured his back over the weekend. So on short notice, Til December recruited a surrogate band, New York’s Brainbell Janglers, to fill in for most of the evening. Brainbell Janglers had already completed their first two sets as I arrived, performing classic rock favorites. Eyewitness accounts said that although the Janglers did a respectable job, the fickle Pellegrine’s crowd was not receptive to the group, and response was lukewarm at best. These folks apparently wanted their Til December.

Til December rewarded them for the last set, with the three remaining members playing an acoustic set to end the night. This was a night when various people were cornering me with conversation in the rear room by the door, and I couldn’t escape to pay any close attention to Til December’s acoustic set. But I did hear the group do versions of REO Speedwagon’s “Take It On the Run” and the Outfield’s “Your Love.”

As Sunday nights at Pelly’s go, this wasn’t a banner one. Til December made the best of a sudden bad situation, and did what they could to provide live music in lieu of their medical issue. The fans were disappointed, but I get the feeling they’ll be more than forgiving when Til December returns at 100% soon.

JP'S HAIKU

Fall Foliage Fest
Stormin' Norman Nardini
Rocked country bumpkins

http://pamusician.net
 Back to top »
Jim Price

Post Posted: Friday Dec 18, 2009 

http://pamusician.net
 Back to top »
ROCKPAGE Forum Index » JP's Corner
Page 1 of 1