· The Final Cut
WEEK/WEEKEND RECAP 1/8/07
ROCKPAGE Forum Index » JP's Corner
previous topic :: next topic  
Jim Price

Post Posted: Sunday Apr 08, 2007 

WEEK/WEEKEND RECAP 1/8/07

THE COUNTRY OUTLAWS @ THE HITCHING POST, ALTOONA 1/3/07

Country was on the musical menu as I wrapped up workplace duties and shot on over to The Hitching Post for Wednesday Country Night, this week featuring The Country Outlaws.

A good crowd was on hand as I arrived towards the end of the Outlaws’ second set. During the intermission, the group’s manager, Joyce, informed me that a new member was making her first appearance with the group this night. It was a name I was familiar with from the stage of Dennie Huber’s annual Crazy Fest Amateur Youth Talent Show for several years: Angela Dodson. On paper at least, this appeared to be a dynamite fit; Angela’s smooth and silky country voice matching up with singer/guitarist Charlie Hilderbrand’s deep and resonant rural-edged baritone…I was quickly envisioning the possibilities if these two teamed up on duets!

We wouldn’t witness any such duets this night, but got to witness both singers demonstrate their talents. As the musicians returned to the stage, I noted an extra guest this night, the lap-steely presence of one John “Songsmith” Stevens. The Country Outlaws kicked off their third set with Johnny Cash’s “Cocaine Blues,” with Charlie again setting the stage with his convincing Man-In-Black growl. Next was Kevin Fowler’s “Beer Bait and Ammo” and Buck Owens’ “Love’s Gonna Live Here Again.” After another song and Waylon Jennings’ “Good Ol’ Boys,” Angela took the stage for her only appearance during this set, demonstrating her talents on Patsy Cline/Hank Williams’ “Your Cheatin’ Heart.” The Outlaws continued with Garth Brooks’ ever-popular “Friends in Low Places,” followed by their rebel-flavored spin on Social Distortion’s “Ball and Chain” and Merle Haggard’s “Fightin’ Side of Me.” After a rendition of “Roll in My Sweet Baby’s Arms” and another number, the group finished out the evening with a Johnny Cash double-shot, performing “I Walk the Line” and “Home of the Blues.”

This was a good performance. As with the first time I saw them, The Country Outlaws gave a bold, strong presentation, offering a muscular rebel country sound topped with Charlie’s burly lead voice, and flavored with John Stevens’ lap steel touch. Although she only sang once during the time I was there, Angela Dodson should give this band an additional dimension, and as mentioned earlier, look out if she and Charlie put together some duets – it should be off the map! It was an overall strong show and good time, and I look forward to seeing this group’s continued progress in coming months.

The Country Outlaws, throwing a shindig at The Hitching Post.

Again, The Country Outlaws, with John Stevens on lap steel.

Yours Truly with The Country Outlaws’ newest member, Angela Dodson.

Yours Truly with the Country Outlaws’ manager, Colonel Joyce. Joyce is cool!

SIGNAL LOST/LEBEAU’S FURY/CHIARA GREY @ ALDO’S, ALTOONA 1/5/07

This night, I decided to check out some original music at Aldo’s, courtesy of a triple-bill headlined by Signal Lost, a band that evolved from the former Vertigo.

I arrived too late to see the first band on the bill, Chiara Grey, but eyewitness accounts gave these guys a big thumbs up. Hopefully our paths will cross again soon, and I’ll get to see this band in action.

Aldo’s did have a good-sized crowd present – encouraging to see this support for local music! I was able to procure a good vantage point in the middle row of tables in front of the stage, to take in the next band on the bill, Lebeau’s Fury.

As Lebeau’s Fury launched into their set, they quickly established their musical turf as fast, high-velocity punkish rock. Singer Gifford Piper, guitarists Eric Rettig and Ken Mountain, bassist Mike O’Connor and drummer Simon Littlejohn fired off a number of original assaults. The only song title I caught was a tune called “Bill Cowher,” leading me to wonder if Lebeau’s Fury got their name from Steelers assistant coach Dick LeBeau…this inquiring mind would like to know! Anyway, I thought these guys did a good job; drummer Simon especially was tearing it up behind the kit! And for this brand of driving, punk-geared rock, the group displayed a knack for melodies as well. Lebeau’s Fury represented well, and received good applause from the Aldo’s crowd.

Finishing this night was my first look at Signal Lost. As mentioned earlier, this band evolved from the former Vertigo, and features singer/guitarist Brandon Kane, bassist/singer Brad Davis, guitarist/singer Jimmy Skinny (formerly of No Dice) and a new drummer, Mike. Signal Lost picked up where Vertigo left off, with a brand of hard-driving, melody-geared, punk-fueled rock. The group did songs from their just-released EP, Blood Sweat and Twenty-Five Minute Sets, including "My Heart Beats in Sixteenths," "Phasia," "Hideaway" and "Heresy;" as well as several new numbers. I liked the way their songs fired off at a high-velocity clip, yet featured detailed, well-developed melodies. I was impressed with Signal Lost's tight execution, as well as their passion and enthusiasm. Signal Lost displayed a unique sound and angle on punk-fueled rock; and I look forward to encountering them again soon.

Here is some video footage from Signal Lost’s performance:

http://www.rockpage.net/users/jprice/video/MOV09313.MPG

Again, this was a strong original rock show at Aldo's, and was further proof that Aldo's is becoming the venue for original rock in the Altoona area. Here's hoping more original shows - and good crowds for them, like this night - are in the future.

Signal Lost, performing their fast-firing brand of punk-driven rock at Aldo’s.

Brandon Kane of Signal Lost.

Jimmy Skinny of Signal Lost.

New drummer Mike of Signal Lost. This guy could pound!

Brandon Kane and Jimmy Skinny of Signal Lost.

Again, Jimmy Skinny of Signal Lost.

Again, Signal Lost.

Brad Davis of Signal Lost.

Once again, Signal Lost.

Again, Brad Davis of Signal Lost.

Again, Brandon Kane of Signal Lost.

Again, Mike of Signal Lost.

SUGAR RUN BLUEGRASS JAM @ CALVARY BAPTIST CHURCH, ALTOONA 1/6/07

For the past year or two, I had been receiving and airing on Q94 public service announcements for the Sugar Run Bluegrass Jam, a monthly bluegrass jam get-together that happened at Calvary Baptist Church in Altoona. The jam was open to all who wanted to bring traditional instruments to participate. With the rising popularity of bluegrass and roots music on area stages, my curiosity about this event rose as well. So, this Saturday afternoon, I decided to go have a look.

The Bluegrass Jam ran from 1 to 4 PM in the basement of Calvary Baptist Church. I arrived during the middle of the jam session, grabbed a cup of coffee and pulled up a seat at one of tables. What I saw was a large circle of musicians, some standing and some seated. Folks of various ages were representing, playing guitars, banjos, mandolins, upright basses and other traditional acoustic instruments. The jam was open to all skill levels, from seasoned players to beginners. A few leaders would call out specific bluegrass, old-timey, gospel, country, folk or traditional numbers, as well as the key of the number, and the musicians would then perform each selection. It was loose and laid back, with a relaxed and friendly atmosphere. The songs performed ranged from traditional bluegrass exercises like "Shady Grove" and "Old Joe Clark" to gospel tunes like "Will the Circle Be Unbroken" and "Standing on the Rock," fiddle tunes like "Uncle Henry" and more.

As I continued to watch this jam, I realized what a beneficial event this was on two fronts. It gave musicians the opportunity to play alongside other musicians, network, hone their individual skills and learn to play along with a group. It also introduced and exposed the participants and audience to a wide range of traditional songs and musical styles. For somebody like me, still relatively new to the world of traditional music, I was learning some of the songs, styles and traditions of roots music as I watched this jam take place.

Various musicians entered or sat out the songs, with anywhere from ten to twenty musicians taking active part in the jam at any one time. At the stroke of 4 PM, the group called it a day, and started packing up their instruments.

I enjoyed this first look at the Sugar Run Bluegrass Jam, and plan to take in a few more in the future. The jam usually happens the first Saturday of every month during fall, winter and spring (they usually break for the summer months), from 1 to 4 PM at Calvary Baptist Church. Anyone is welcome to bring their traditional acoustic instrument of choice and take part.

A table-top view of the Sugar Run Bluegrass Jam.

Again, the Sugar Run Bluegrass Jam.

More bluegrass jamming at the Sugar Run Bluegrass Jam.

THE MARAUDERS/RUSTY GUN REVIVAL/THE SCRAPS @ ALDO’S, ALTOONA 1/6/07

From the solace of a friendly bluegrass jam get-together to some rowdier roots music...Aldo's this night was presenting the dream matchup of area roots music powers, as Rusty Gun Revival and The Marauders would throw down back to back as part of a triple bill. I was there!

Opening the evening was The Scraps. This Altoona-based trio delivered mean, nasty, fiery punk rock. Singer/guitarist Marty Scrap, bassist Pete Metalhead and drummer Justin Cuff slammed forth short, primal, high-velocity punk originals like "Stupid Jerk," "Wasted," "I Hate You" and more, including a scathing surf/punk instrumental. These guys played it all with ample vigor and vinegar, and the arriving Aldo's crowd appeared to appreciate this group's efforts.

The Scraps open the evening at Aldo’s.

From punk to punkry – next on the stage was Rusty Gun Revival. The Clearfield trio of Slim, Red and the Reverend played a spirited set of original roots-flavored numbers and rootsy classics. They opened with their surf-flavored instrumental "LFT," which transformed into the leadoff track to their self-titled CD, "Revival." The group continued with rockabilly sounds on "That Girl Is Hot" and "Step It Up N’Go," before going traditional with "Tell Old Bill." The group did "Honky Tonk Woman" and "Smoke" from the CD, continued with Johnny Cash's "Folsom Prison Blues" and "Tell It To Me" from Old Crow Medicine Show; before closing out their set with two original songs from their previous incarnation as Blind Jonny Death, "Driver Blues" and "Requiem for America." The Revival was in good form, with Marc "L.C. Slim" singing his friendly rural tones, Ed "Red" thumping heartily on those upright bass strings, and Tom "The Reverend" powering up the beats on his snaredrum and makeshift stompbox. Aldo's enjoyed it more as the group went along, and was cheering loudly for the group by the time their set finished.

Ed “Red” McDonald and his upright bass billboard.

“The Reverend” Tom Hipps of Rusty Gun Revival.

Rusty Gun Revival and some Aldo’s fans.

Again, Rusty Gun Revival.

One more time, Rusty Gun Revival.

The stagefront area began to fill up with people during the intermission, in anticipation of the final band of the night, The Marauders. This was their first local show since going on the road with the Brian Setzer Orchestra, so spirits were running high as fans welcomed The Marauders return to the local stage.

Singer/guitarist Ben Dumm, upright bass player Chris Lawson and drummer Abe Weber launched into their barnstorming set of rockabilly-geared sounds with “New Tattoo,” and proceeded to fire through established favorites and new songs from their recently-released self-titled album. “Dead of Night,” “I Don’t Mind,” “Hell on high Heels,” “Kill Pop Radio,” “Rumble on the Rocks,” “Looking Forward to Leaving You Behind,” “She’s a Prostitute,” “Oh My My,” “Nothing to Prove,” “Rhythm Fix” and “Johnny Don’t Like It (When You Call Him Elvis)” were among the original songs The Marauders kept the stagefront masses happy with. Late in the set, Ben announced to the audience, “Technically, this is a cover song…,” before the group launched into the tune Brian Setzer penned for them, “We Are The Marauders.” The Marauders kept the energy level feverish for the duration, triggering sporadic bursts of sock-hopping glee among the dance floor crowd. The group eventually approached the finish line for the night, wrapping up their set with their rockabilly spin on The Misfits’ “Astrozombies” and their original tune “Alibi.”

As expected, this was a fun night of roots revival throwdowns, as Rusty Gun Revival and The Marauders resurrected roots and rockabilly with their own distinctive styles and flair. The large Aldo’s crowd clearly enjoyed it; it was a fun Saturday night blowout!

Here is some video footage from The Marauders’ performance:

http://www.rockpage.net/users/jprice/video/MOV09324.MPG

Ben Dumm of The Marauders.

Abe Weber of The Marauders.

Chris Lawson of The Marauders.

Again, Ben Dumm of The Marauders.

Chris and Ben of The Marauders.

Once again, Ben Dumm of The Marauders.

Again, Chris Lawson of The Marauders.

With Kathy from The Underground Television and a friend looking on, Chris Lawson of The Marauders.

Ben Dumm gains some elevation atop Chris Lawson’s bass.

FELIX & THE HURRICANES @ THE HITCHING POST, ALTOONA 1/7/07

After completing “Backyard Rocker” duties this night, I headed to the Hitching Post to close out the weekend with some Sunday Hurricaning.

It was a full house at the Post as I arrived after midnight, during the Hurricanes’ intermission. I had a little surprise for the Hurricanes and many of their fans, and prior to their nightcap set, made the big announcement…With the help of several of the Hurricaniacs, I started setting the wheels in motion to get the Hurricanes on the cover of Pennsylvania Musician in 2007. Look for the ‘Canes to grace the October cover!

After that news, how else could the Hurricanes open up the set? They broke out a Dr. Hook favorite and made a slight adjustment to it. The result was “The Cover of the Pennsylvania Musician!” This was then followed by their ode to Sunday night local music radio, “Backyard Rocker Rocks.” The Hurricanes’ party was in full gear, as the group continued with tunes from the Allman Brothers, Johnny Cash and Stevie Ray Vaughan, before slowing things down for Brooks & Dunn’s “Neon Moon,” as Hitching Post mainstay Stephanie grabbed a chair and set up shop in front of the stage to enjoy the song dedicated to her. A special guest then spotted Hurricane Bob a break behind the drum kit, as Spirit Lost drummer Lisa “Woo” Fazenbaker played drums on Hurricanes renditions of “House of the Rising Sun,” Badfinger’s “No Matter What,” the Allman Brothers’ “One Way Out” and Santana’s “Black Magic Woman.” Bob then returned to the drum helm as the ‘Canes did two original songs, the soulful “Walkin’ A Straight Line” and the driving “Keep On Rockin.’” The group again slowed it down for the Allman Brothers’ “Sweet Melissa,” before doing another original tune, “Black Widow.” The Hurricanes then finished out the night with the unique merging of The Outlaws’ “There Goes Another Love Song” with Marshall Tucker Band’s “Heard It in a Love Song.”

Again, the Hurricanes were in top form, three seasoned musicians who execute tightly and seamlessly together like a well-oiled machine. Felix, Jeff and Bob were feeling the vibe, and the audience was feeling the Hurricanes feeling it, and responded joyously after each and every song. It provided an upbeat finish to the first full weekend of 2007 – another great time!

With Spirit Lost’s Lisa Fazenbaker behind the drum kit, Felix & the Hurricanes.

Once again with Lisa Fazenbaker on drums, Felix & the Hurricanes.

JP’s HAIKU

Saturday summit
Rusty Gun and Marauders
Roots music meltdown

http://pamusician.net
 Back to top »
Jim Price

Post Posted: Friday Dec 18, 2009 

http://pamusician.net
 Back to top »
ROCKPAGE Forum Index » JP's Corner
Page 1 of 1