· The Final Cut
11TH MILLENNIUM MUSIC CONFERENCE RECAP 2/19/07 PART 1
ROCKPAGE Forum Index » JP's Corner
previous topic :: next topic  
Jim Price

Post Posted: Tuesday May 01, 2007 

MILLENNIUM MUSIC CONFERENCE WEEKEND RECAP 2/19/07

PART ONE: THE CONFERENCE

From actual vacation to working vacation…I had just four days to recuperate from my annual Florida sojourn, because this weekend I was headed to the 11th annual Millennium Music Conference, which took place Feb. 15-18 at the Radisson Penn Harris Convention Center in Camp Hill. After a few years trying out the conference during the summer, organizer John Harris decided to move the event back to the winter time, when there was less competition from vacations and other summertime events. This year, the event moved to a new home, jumping across the Susquehanna River to the Radisson. Once again, the Conference provided three days of informative panels, keynote speakers and the trade show, plus four nights of showcasing bands and artists throughout the Harrisburg area.

First, I’ll focus my recap on the actual conference itself. The daytime conference itself was a good time over the three days, and was informative and rewarding. Both keynote speakers, Bruce Warren from Philadelphia public radio station WXPN and Walter F. McDonough, Esq. of the Future Of Music Coalition, provided insightful addresses regarding the changing music industry and how musicians can succeed and survive in the changing music and media landscapes. There were also numerous informative panels throughout the three days, dealing with various aspects of the music industry; including how bands and musicians can better market and promote themselves, publishing and copyrights, the role of the internet in the current music landscape, managers and agents, terrestrial and internet radio, mentoring sessions and more. The annual Millennium trade show featured a number of music-related businesses and organizations with tables and booths, from guitar manufacturers to publications, recording studios, CD manufacturers, internet-based businesses and more. On Friday the 16th, Philadelphia public radio station WXPN presented a live lunchtime concert featuring New York-based recording artist Goat.

For me, the Millennium trade show again provided opportunities to learn about the current state of the music industry; and again allowed me to network, touch base with old friends and meet new ones. Inspired by information and ideas I had gained from last year’s conference in June, I actually was a man on a mission at this year’s Millennium, there to network and pick a few brains about some career advice and insight as it pertained to my music-related work. Thanks to the folks who shared their insight with me, especially Sherri Mullen.

It was also cool to network and hang out with friends I hadn’t seen since the previous year’s conference; Shel Hoachlander from Black Thorn Entertainment and Origivation (actually, I did see Shel once since last year’s conference, when Sparky, Big Jim and I raided Hershey’s Chocolate World in October), her accomplice Troy Logan, Jimbo from Harrisburg Online, Crazy John Kerecz from Old School House Radio (thanks for interviewing me John!), Paul Autry from Spotlight, Jim Fetzer from Fetzer Music Management, my Pennsylvania Musician Magazine cohorts Robin and Rachel, and more.

Here are some photos from the conference and trade show:

The Friday keynote speaker, Bruce Warren, from Philadelphia public radio station WXPN.

The Saturday keynote speaker, Walter McDonough, Esq., of the Future Of Music Coalition.

One of the conference seminars, the Publisher's Roundtable panel. This panel discussion provided information to musicians about publishing, copyrights, and how musicians can protect their music and earn money from its use.

A view of the Conference's trade show floor.

The New York City-based band Goat, performing a lunchtime concert during the Friday conference.

Yours truly and Sherri Mullen, hamming it up during the Sunday trade show. Sherri was a panelist throughout the weekend at the Conference.

A couple of musicians do some acoustic jamming in front of the Taylor Guitars table.

Networking at her Black Thorn Entertainment/Origivation table, Shel Hoachlander.

Jim from Harrisburg Online, sharing a little Jagermeister joy.

A view of the mentoring room during the Conference. Musicians could meet with music industry mentors to ask questions and seek guidance about their music careers.

I was also glad to see the return of the acoustic stage to the Millennium trade show, courtesy of Pennsylvania Musician, FanTeez and Racetrack Recording Studio. It gave me a chance to see many more bands and artists whose showcases I would not have been able to attend. Some of the highlights I witnessed on the acoustic stage included The Elevator Band from England (what a fun crew, they're probably now undergoing therapy back home in England to recover from their new Hershey chocolate addictions), Stone Soul Foundation, Wink Keziah & Delux Motel, and Nabil Khemir from Tunisia, who played his self-designed "Rayjam" double-neck guitar and lute; his impromptu jam with Fredrico (Fredrico Percussion) on percussion was an unexpected treat!

Here are some pictures from the acoustic stage:

Racetrack Recording Studio was recording performances from the acoustic stage, and providing CD's of the performance to the performers.

From Orlando, Florida, Skyler and Jetson Black of the band Black Rabbits, performing at the acoustic stage.

Harrisburg singer/songwriter Edwin Tichenor.

Three members of The Elevator Band from Stoke-on-Trent, England, performing on the acoustic stage on Friday.

Once again, England's Elevator Band. These guys liked performing on the acoustic stage so much on Friday, they brought the full band back on Saturday!

Eric Anderson performing on the acoustic stage.

Nazareth, PA singer/songwriter Jonathan Cornelius performs while Pennsylvania Musician Magazine editor Robin Noll staffs the magazine's table.

Again, Jonathan Cornelius.

Another international performer who attracted attention at the acoustic stage was Nabil Khemir from Tunisia. Nabil played his "Rayjam," a double-necked combination lute and guitar that he designed himself!

Again, Nabil Khemir.

Here Nabil Khemir is performing with Fredrico (of Fredrico Percussion, a trade show vendor) on bongos. This was an unexpected treat!

From the nation's capitol, Washington, DC, two members of the band Numa.

From Chicago, members of the group Otter Petter play on the acoustic stage.

From Silver Spring, Maryland, Dan Johnson of Soulpajamas.

From northeastern PA, Stasis.

Three members of the Auburn, New York-based band Stone Soul Foundation.

From Utica, Michigan, Terrance Damian.

From the nation's capitol, Tom Goss.

From Charlotte, North Carolina, three members of Wink Keziah and Delux Motel. These guys performed Americana, old-school country and bluegrass on the acoustic stage.

Once again, members of Wink Keziah and Delux Motel.

Rachelrocks from Pennsylvania Musician (right) and her friend Heather (left) dance to the music from the acoustic stage.

(My recaps of the Millennium Music Conference showcase performances I checked out will be posted in separate threads shortly.)

http://pamusician.net
 Back to top »
Jim Price

Post Posted: Friday Dec 18, 2009 

http://pamusician.net
 Back to top »
ROCKPAGE Forum Index » JP's Corner
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: