· The Final Cut
11TH MILLENNIUM MUSIC CONFERENCE RECAP 2/19/07 PART 2
ROCKPAGE Forum Index » JP's Corner
previous topic :: next topic  
Jim Price

Post Posted: Tuesday May 01, 2007 

MILLENNIUM MUSIC CONFERENCE WEEKEND RECAP 2/19/07

PART TWO: THURSDAY 2/15

I continue my recap of Millennium Music Conference weekend in Harrisburg with the four nights of showcase performances, beginning with the first night, Thursday.

Of course, Pennsylvania had been hammered by a crippling winter storm on Wednesday, Valentine's Day, that dumped a half-foot or more of wintry precipitation across much of the state. In the Altoona area, the precipitation was mostly snow with some sleet mixed in, which was able to be plowed and cleared from streets and highways in relatively short order after the storm had passed. But further east, from roughly the Susquehanna River eastward, the snow instead changed over to freezing rain, which served to cement the snow to the highway surfaces, resulting in thick ice-pack conditions that caused the reported problems with several interstate highways in the eastern part of the state. As I arrived in Harrisburg, I noticed the road conditions deteriorate as I headed south on Routes 11/15 towards the Radisson. Once I arrived and checked in at the host hotel, I was informed that road conditions in downtown Harrisburg were still tricky. In spite of this, I decided to take a chance and headed to Ceolta's Irish Pub in downtown this night for my first showcase.

As it turned out, the downtown Harrisburg streets were manageable, and there was a parking garage just a few doors down from the venue for me to throw my car into. The sidewalks were another story, but I had my winter foot treads on, so I was able to maneuver on them.

The snowstorm impacted this showcase, though; two of the scheduled bands cancelled, and a third, Harrisburg's Milkshake Jones, had to operate as an acoustic duo with two members missing. Singer/guitarist John Micek and guitarist/backing singer Mike Fox made it work, performing upbeat, melody-driven songs from Milkshake Jones' first album and forthcoming new release, Gala Days, expected out in June. New Jersey's Causeway did somehow manage to make it to Harrisburg (they avoided the interstates); their style was a lighter blend of folk, jazz, pop and rock elements. The pleasant surprise of the evening was Harrisburg's Holis showing up to fill in. Announcing they were doing a 'practice' run for their official showcase performance at the Radisson the following night, Holis nonetheless blew the doors off the place with their powerful, spirited show. Singer Ray Zeiters' voice was in great form, and he and the group rode their surging song arrangements to passionate crescendos that brought the Ceolta's crowd to life!

Some pictures from the Thursday showcase:

Somehow making it to Harrisburg to showcase in spite of snowstorm-related road conditions, New Jersey's Causeway.

Operating on half-strength this night due to snowstorm-related problems, Mike Fox and John Micek of Harrisburg's Milkshake Jones.

Milkshake Jones singer, guitarist and songwriter John Micek.

Harrisburg's Holis. These guys came to the rescue when two bands couldn't perform at Ceolta's showcase due to the snowstorm. Although this was admittedly a practice session before their official showcase performance at the Radisson the following night, Holis still put on an amazing display!

Holis' lead singer, Ray Zeiters.

Christian McGinty of Holis.

Once again, Holis.

(Friday's, Saturday's and Sunday's Millennium Music Conference recaps will be posted in separate threads shortly.)

http://pamusician.net
 Back to top »
Jim Price

Post Posted: Friday Dec 18, 2009 

http://pamusician.net
 Back to top »
ROCKPAGE Forum Index » JP's Corner
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: