· The Final Cut
WEEK/WEEKEND RECAP 3/5/07
ROCKPAGE Forum Index » JP's Corner
previous topic :: next topic  
Jim Price

Post Posted: Tuesday May 08, 2007 

WEEK/WEEKEND RECAP 3/5/07

BROKEN PONY @ THE HITCHING POST, ALTOONA 2/28/07

Again able to escape the workplace relatively early this Wednesday night, I headed to the Hitching Post to partake in BBQ ribs and country music, with Broken Pony providing the music.

It was a relatively quiet night at the Post as I arrived late during Broken Pony's second set, in time to witness the group's countrified rendition of Bob Dylan's "Easy Chair" and another song to end the set. I found a good vantage point in the main band room area easily, and was soon feasting on the Post's delicious barbecue country ribs during the intermission.

Soon the band was back for their final chapter of the evening. Pat McGinnis on acoustic guitar and singing, Randy Rutherford on electric guitar, Kim Metzger on pedal steel and Tim Yingling on drums mixed folk, country and country-rock favorites. Their selection was again interesting; including renditions of J.J. Cale's "Crazy Mama," Marshall Tucker Band's "Can't You See" and more. Midway through the set, Randy's son, 9 Planet Tour drummer Evan Rutherford, took over behind the drum kit for a country/funk-flavored rendition of Cream's "Strange Brew," the Eagles' "Tequila Sunrise," and the Fabulous Thunderbirds' "She's Tough."

Again, I enjoyed Broken Pony's performance. Their selection of country and country rock was fresh, and their performance was clean and tasteful. The group didn't just cover their song selections; they adapted them into their own collective country/blues/funk style.

The combination of tasty music and tasty ribs was a good one, and made it worth my effort to get to the Post to enjoy.

EMILY’S TOYBOX @ THE SALOON, STATE COLLEGE 2/28/07

I decided to make this night a doubleheader; departing the Hitching Post after Broken Pony's performance concluded to make the roadtrip to The Saloon in State College to get updated on the musical chicanery that is...Emily's Toybox!

I arrived during intermission just before the start of Emily's Toybox's second set. Although there was a crowd present, it was a little less than I expected. Then I learned the reason; it was Penn State finals week, and some of Emily's Toybox's usual packed house crowd was off cramming for final exams. But judging by the folks who were in the house, apparently some Penn State studentdom was finished with their finals, and in celebration mode.

Soon Emily's Toybox was ready to start their second set. Lead maniac Mike Wise, guitarist/singer Todd Sensenich, bassist Matt Kyle and drummer Wade Corbin started things off with a medley, beginning with their own original tune "Your Girlfriend Is Ugly," and continuing through their own uniquely fractured takes on Bad Company's "Feel Like Makin' Love," Ram Jam/Leadbelly's "Black Betty" and the Matt-fronted spin on Big & Rich's "Save a Horse Ride a Cowboy." Mardi Gras beads were being handed out by a Bacardi rep, and I soon was beaded myself. On the stage, vocal duties were handed off to Todd, who sang lead on Tom Petty's "American Girl," before Emily's Toybox did a heavy-flavored song from their latest CD, Pill. The party continued with favorites from Weezer, Puddle of Mudd, Sublime and Linkin Park, before Mike rallied the drunk stagefront revelers to shout along with the Toybox original "Back of the Bus." The set finished with renditions of Drowning Pool's "Bodies" and Guns N'Roses' "Sweet Child O'Mine."

During the intermission, Emily's Toybox continued to demonstrate why they remain one of this state's most popular party bands after their first full decade; they were constantly out in the crowd and meeting and greeting fans.

Soon the band was back with their third round, kicking off their last set with another original tune from Pill. After AC/DC's "You Shook Me All Night Long," the group kicked into their raunchy doo-wopping original "I F***ed Your Mom," and followed it with their ever-popular anthem "Bionic." From there, the group welcomed a guest, Tony, on stage to sing Alice In Chains' "Man in the Box," before Todd fronted the group on Tool's "Sober." After a rendition of Pantera's "Walk," Emily's Toybox brought the night to a close with their rowdy and loving ode to elderly drivers, "Road Rage."

Even with the slightly diminished crowd, this was a good time. Emily's Toybox kept it rowdy, crazy, mischievous and upbeat all the way. Mike Wise remains as nuts as ever, and his sidemen complement him with their own brand of craziness, from silly looks to antics with audience members (Todd left the stage several times to do the grind with two young ladies positioned off to the left of the stage) and more. This band brought the party, and were hellbent on making every last person inside The Saloon a part of it.

Needless to say, I was glad to again make the roadtrip to enjoy this show. I only wish some room in the 'Toona would get with the program and book Emily's Toybox back here already!

Here is some rough video I shot of Emily’s Toybox, singing about male bodily appendages smelling like famous lip balm products:

http://www.rockpage.net/users/jprice/video/MOV09505.MPG

Emily’s Toybox, bringing musical madness to The Saloon.

Mike Wise of Emily’s Toybox sings, while the lady seated on the speaker is either reading a book or cramming for a final exam…talk about multi-tasking!

Mike Wise gets the crowd fired up.

Wade Corbin of Emily’s Toybox.

Again, Mike Wise of Emily’s Toybox.

Mike Wise of Emily’s Toybox wants YOU…to get crazy.

Todd Sensenich of Emily’s Toybox.

Again, Wade Corbin of Emily’s Toybox.

In mid stick twirl, Wade Corbin of Emily’s Toybox.

Again, Todd Sensenich of Emily’s Toybox.

Matt Kyle of Emily’s Toybox.

Mike Wise and Matt Kyle of Emily’s Toybox.

Once again, Mike Wise of Emily’s Toybox.

Again, Matt Kyle of Emily’s Toybox.

One more time, Todd Sensenich of Emily’s Toybox.

FELIX & THE HURRICANES @ CLASSIC ATTITUDES, ALTOONA 3/2/07

The new March edition of Pennsylvania Musician hit the streets this day; and after spending the early part of Friday evening playing paper boy, I headed to Classic Attitudes to check out - and partake in - Felix & the Hurricanes' special "Rock For The Troops" night at Classic Attitudes.

This was the second official show of Rockpage's "Rock For The Troops" series, following the campaign's maiden voyage with Scream at the Shade Mountain Inn in Middleburg. Scream drummer Kevin "ToonaRockGuy" Siegel was in the house to assist with this "Rock For The Troops" effort, videotaping special wishes and greetings to be sent to local troops serving overseas in Iraq and Afghanistan.

Although never crowded this night, a healthy contingent of Hurricaniacs and Classic Attitudes regulars did show up to enjoy the Hurricanes and support the effort. Multiple greetings and messages were recorded, including Classic Attitudes' rear doorman, himself a Marine who had previously served in Iraq. During the Hurricanes' second set, lead 'Cane and guitarist Felix Kos led a special "Turkey Toast" to our troops.

The Hurricanes were feeling it this night, with the "Rock For The Troops" effort inspiring them to go above and beyond the call of duty to deliver a stellar show. The ‘Canes were so fired up, in fact, that they didn’t want to stop at the end of the night! The Hurricanes mixed classics and original songs, even introducing several new originals during the course of the night such as "La La Land" and "Hurtin' People." The group also dedicated Charlie Daniels' "In America" to the troops. The night featured other intentional and unintentional highlights as well, such as bassist/singer Jeff Clapper and drummer Bob Watters carrying on as a Hurricanes two-piece on an extended version of Grand Funk Railroad's "Some Kind of Wonderful" while Felix replaced a broken guitar string, and Kevin, Ed Murvine and Bill Hocherl helping provide additional percussion with Bob at the drum kit during the third set. Bob even remarked "We have so many drummers in the house tonight, you'd think it was a drooler's convention!"

It was a fun and memorable night, as lots of greetings and musical footage was recorded for our troops, so that they soon can enjoy the musical fireworks everybody at Classic Attitudes enjoyed this night from Felix & the Hurricanes. It was great to be involved in this "Rock For The Troops" effort; hopefully I'll be taking part in more in the months to come.

Felix & the Hurricanes, rocking for the troops at Classic Attitudes.

Again, Felix & the Hurricanes.

Jeff Clapper of Felix & the Hurricanes.

Felix Kos of the Hurricanes. If Felix would have been flipping me the bird, he would look just like Johnny Cash in this shot!

Bob Watters of Felix & the Hurricanes.

Again, Hurricaning for the troops at Classic Attitudes.

Ed Murvine and Bill Hocherl staff the Rock For The Troops table.

Again, Hurricane Felix.

Guest Andy “RamRod 1” Rhody helps Hurricane Felix with backing vocals.

Once again, Felix & the Hurricanes with guest Andy Rhody.

More Hurricanes!

Again, Jeff Clapper of the Hurricanes.

Loren Johnson and Kevin “ToonaRockGuy” Siegel.

The special Rock For The Troops banner, which people could sign for the troops.

Hurricaniacs Sandy and Donna show their support for the troops.

Hurricaniac Tammy and her friends. Besides celebrating Rock For The Troops, this weekend was also Tammy’s birthday!

With assistance from Rock For The Troops organizer Bill Hocherl, Hurricane Bob becomes a certified drumhead!

The Rock For The Troops cameras catch Felix & the Hurricanes in action.

Scream drummer Kevin “ToonaRockGuy” Siegel helps Hurricane Bob with the drumming.

Classic Attitudes’ dance floor gets busy as the Hurricanes and Hurricaniacs Rock For The Troops.

Ed Murvine joins in the Hurricanes’ drum circle.

It was starting to look like a “drooler’s convention” around the Hurricanes drum kit.

Hurricane Felix tries his hand at the jug.

Hurricaniacs, rocking for the troops.

THE AMY K BAND @ CITY LIMITS, ALTOONA 3/3/07

This night I was off to City Limits to witness the Altoona debut of former Lovestomp frontlady Amy K's new self-named project, The Amy K Band.

City Limits was only lightly populated as I arrived during the first set. Amy and her band - guitarist Rick Johns, bassist Milhouse (freshly welcomed into the fold from Wiskerbisket) and drummer Jason Betz - were cranking out a lively, rocking mixture of current and classic favorites. U2's "Vertigo," the Beastie Boys' "Fight for Your Right (to Party)," AC/DC's "Highway to Hell" and All-American Rejects' "Dirty Little Secret" were some of the songs that were performed during the Amy K Band's early going.

A few more people had arrived by the time the Amy K Band was set to resume with their second set. The group started off with Bon Jovi's "Wanted Dead or Alive," and continued with rocking fare from Weezer, Hole, Cranberries, Lenny Kravitz, Alanis Morisette, Van Halen, Rage Against the Machine, Lita Ford, Led Zeppelin and more. Amy K was shining this night; her voice was in great form, and she appeared confident and poised as the focal point onstage. But her sidemen weren't shabby, either. Rick demonstrated his impressive guitar credentials several times during this set, first with a full-shred display during the Cranberries' "Zombie," and then later with his best Eddie Van Halen histrionics on "Eruption/You Really Got Me." Milhouse and Jason made a lethal rhythm section to power it all, with Milhouse's distinctive lean and mean bass lines working along Jason's powerful beats. This band was clearly a stronger vehicle to showcase Amy K's talents than her previous group.

Although by no means packed, the modest mid-sized City Limits crowd was slowly being won over by this new band playing on the stage. A few people were dancing or at least making their way to the stage to get a closer look at what was going on. The third set would bring more people, including a few guests, to life.

The first of those guests appeared on the very first song of the set, a rendition of Pink Floyd's "Money," sung by Jim Stout, a member of another Harrisburg area band, Psyfon. After a version of Pearl Jam's "Animal," Jim moved behind the drum kit, while a second guest, Brandon Reese, played guitar on a rendition of Cheap Trick's "I Want You to Want Me." Amy K and company then shifted things into a rowdy country vein with Shania Twain's "Man I Feel Like a Woman," before the guest cavalcade continued with a local participant, Loren Johnson, dueting with Amy on a version of 4 Non Blondes' "What's Up." The party continued with Scandal's "Warrior," Buckcherry's "Lit Up" and the GoGo's "We Got the Beat," before Amy K and bandmates shifted classic for the Sweet's "Ballroom Blitz," which cleverly incorporated a Golden Earring "Radar Love" midsection. With people on the dance floor, the Amy K Band closed the set strong with Buckcherry's "Crazy Bitch" and Big & Rich's "Save a Horse Ride a Cowboy." The dance floor occupants made it clear they wanted to hear more, and the Amy K Band responded with renditions of Divinyls' "I Touch Myself" and Van Halen's "Panama" to close out the night.

I was impressed with what I witnessed from the Amy K Band. This band delivered the party, and did so with a strong and engaging performance. They kept the pace tight and the action constant. Their musicianship was strong, and Amy's voice was sounded great throughout the evening. The group had won over the City Limits' crowd by show's end; I could see this group's Altoona fan base growing quickly, as word spreads about their fun party.

Making their Altoona debut, the Amy K Band.

Amy K Band namesake, Amy K.

Once again, Amy K.

Milhouse of the Amy K Band.

Duet time…Guest Loren Johnson and Amy K team up to belt out 4 Non Blondes’ “What’s Up.”

Amy K and Rick Johns of the Amy K Band.

Once again, the Amy K Band.

Again, Rick Johns of the Amy K Band. This guy could do some serious shredding!

Again, Amy K.

More Amy K Band for your Saturday night partying pleasure.

More Amy K!

Jason Betz of the Amy K Band.

From another angle, the Amy K Band.

Again, Jason Betz of the Amy K Band.

Yet more Amy K!

Again, Milhouse of the Amy K Band.

More rocking and rolling with the Amy K Band.

Guest Brandon Reese shows off his guitar abilities with the Amy K Band.

Amy K serenades some of her new Altoona fans.

Once again, guest Brandon Reese with the Amy K Band.

FELIX & THE HURRICANES @ THE HITCHING POST, ALTOONA 3/4/07

Q94's "Backyard Rocker" celebrated nine years on the air this night, and as is customary for the anniversary special edition of the program, Felix & the Hurricanes came in to help me celebrate. The three-hour special was such a good time, I had to follow the party to the Hitching Post afterward.

And the party indeed was continuing as I arrived around the midnight hour. Guest Brian Cupples was providing some extra guitar work onstage alongside Felix, Jeff and Bob. A good-sized crowd was in the house and enjoying as the 'Canes and their guest were into an uptempo spin on Bob Seger's "Turn the Page." Bassman Jeff Clapper then fronted the group on the Eagles' "Take It Easy," before the 'Canes' acknowledged the newest audience member's arrival with "Backyard Rocker Rocks." The fireworks continued with the Allman Brothers' "No One to Run With" and Robert Parker's "Barefootin,'" before the Hurricanes did one of Brian's original songs, the reggae-flavored "No Problem," with Brian singing lead. Another guest, Ron Novak, joined the Hurricanes onstage to add some more guitar fuel to a hot blues jam. This gathering of musicians heated it up, eventually leading into Ted Nugent's "Free For All," which morphed into a funk jam free for all featuring Delbert McClinton's "Standing on Shaky Ground" and Stevie Ray Vaughan's "Crossfire." The Hurricanes then closed out the night with another Stevie Ray number, "Look at Little Sister," and Santana's instrumental workout "Europa."

It was a typically hot Hurricanes performance, with the group giving all and their guests adding fuel to the fire. The near packed-house Hitching Post crowd appreciated every single minute of it, cheering loudly after each song. It was the appropriate way for yours truly to finish out another "Backyard Rocker" birthday; it was an excellent time!

JP’s HAIKU

Rockin’ for the Troops
‘Canes rocked Classic Attitudes
Wish troops’ safe return

http://pamusician.net
 Back to top »
Jim Price

Post Posted: Friday Dec 18, 2009 

http://pamusician.net
 Back to top »
ROCKPAGE Forum Index » JP's Corner
Page 1 of 1