· The Final Cut
WEEK/WEEKEND RECAP 3/12/07
ROCKPAGE Forum Index » JP's Corner
previous topic :: next topic  
Jim Price

Post Posted: Thursday May 10, 2007 

WEEK/WEEKEND RECAP 3/12/07

WARREN DANE @ THE HITCHING POST, ALTOONA 3/7/07

After finishing up work duties for this Wednesday night, I again headed to the Hitching Post for Wednesday Country Night and ribs. I had no idea who was performing this night when I drove over; but by the end of the night, I definitely knew who Warren Dane was!

The Hitching Post was lightly populated as I arrived this night. Onstage, several musicians were performing; Kulpmont-based singer, songwriter and guitarist Warren Dane, and musical friends Steve Hoffman, Forrest Kerstetter and Steve Yetzko. They were just finishing up a set, performing one of Warren's original songs, "Sister Mabel," and Warren Zevon's "Poor Poor Pitiful Me" to end the set.

I met Warren and his musical guests during the intermission. It turned out that this wasn't Warren's first Hitching Post visit; that he had played there before sometime last year, and Hitching Post main man Butch enjoyed his show enough to bring him back.

Soon they returned to the stage and continued. Warren and his friends did a blend of traditional-flavored country favorites and original songs, plus select folk and light rock covers, and even some humor thrown in. They did a wide variety of material, including Gordon Lightfoot's "Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald," John Denver's "Take Me Home Country Roads," Johnny Cash's "Folsom Prison Blues" and "Ring of Fire," Garth Brooks' "Thunder Rolls" and "Two Pina Coladas," Brad Paisley's "Alcohol, Joe Nichols' "Tequila Makes Her Clothes Fall Off," Kenny Chesney's "The Good Stuff," Kenny Rogers' "The Gambler," Warren Zevon's "Lawyers Guns and Money" and "Renegade," and much more. Warren's musical friends platooned on and off the stage to perform with him, and Steve Yetzko even played a mini-set along the way. The Hitching Post gang got involved as well, with former Hitching Post wait staffer Faith singing along on several songs, and Butch and his mom even getting up and singing a few with Warren and his friends.

Warren displayed a strong and solid voice and tone that handled his song selection well; especially the deeper tones of the Johnny Cash, Kenny Rogers and Gordon Lightfoot numbers. The mood of the presentation was laid-back and lighthearted, with Warren, his musical friends and audience members kicking back and having fun. In fact, these folks were having so much fun that the scheduled 10:30 ending time came and went, and Warren and the gang kept playing til past midnight! They were still going when I departed the Post after midnight!

My first time experiencing Warren Dane's performance was a fun one; here's hoping that more Altoona visits are in the future.

Warren Dane (left), with Faith and Steve Yetzko helping out on vocals.

Warren Dane with a little bit of Faith.

Again, Warren Dane and friends.

Again, Warren and Faith.

Once again, Warren Dane and his friends.

Hitching Post main man Butch and his mother join in the fun onstage.

The Country Night party continues.

Warren Dane and his friends with Butch, his mom and Faith.

One more time, Warren Dane.

GRADE E @ AL’S TAVERN, ALTOONA 3/8/07

Even though it only happens twice a month, I'm finding that my new Thursday night live music habit of choice is the bi-weekly visit of Grade E to Al's Tavern in Altoona. It works out well for me for several reasons. First, it is - sort of - on the way home from the workplace for me; second, Grade E's funk-driven groovefests are always a laid-back good time; and third - and perhaps most importantly - Al's kitchen is open until 1 AM, so I can grab supper there while I'm enjoying the tunes and unwinding after a usually long Thursday evening at the station.

That was the case again this night. After working late, I made my way over to Al's, procured a table in the band room area, enjoyed a brew and watched Grade E while awaiting my meal for this night, Ashlee's Cajun Steak Salad.

The salad was spicy and tasty, and so were Grade E's grooves. Signer/guitarist Chris Vipond, bassist/singer Mike Stanley and drummer Todd Harshbarger incorporated a wide variety of sounds into their nearly nonstop grooves; including numbers from Johnny Cash, Creedence Clearwater Revival, Dispatch, Sublime, Steppenwolf, James Brown, Snoop Dogg, House Of Pain, the EMF, Phish, bluegrass tunes and more. The group also worked a number of their own tunes into the mix, including "Mined," "Emmett," "Escape," "End" and more. And Grade E even referenced their past incarnation, breaking out a Neogumbo number (both Mike and Todd played alongside Chris in different inceptions of Neogumbo).

It was loose, laid-back and fun. A small contingent of fans cheered the group on, and the musicians bantered with the crowd, celebrating the music and extolling the virtues of Al's food, particularly the ever-popular Al's Hooter. Mike even incorporated Al's Hooter into the lyrics during Grade E's funk medley, which also triggered some dance floor activity by a few of the ladies in the house.

Grade E's music and Al's Tavern's food again proved to be a great combination to finish off a Thursday night after a long day at work. Guaranteed, I'll be back to enjoy this party again soon!

RHYNE McCORMICK @ THE HITCHING POST, ALTOONA 3/9/07

It had been a little while since I had seen Lewistown's Rhyne McCormick in action, so I was off to the Hitching Post this Friday night to see what Rhyne was up to.

I quickly found out what he was up to...new band! Rhyne recently assembled a full band, Last Chance, and he brought along two members of that band this night to assist him in his acoustic performance. Rhyne's wife, Jenn, was singing backing vocals and contributing percussion, while guitarist Adam Becker was playing additional acoustic guitar and singing backing vocals. A good-sized crowd was in the house as I arrived during their second set. Rhyne and his accomplices were mixing up acoustic classic rock favorites and original songs. I liked the song selection, as Rhyne did renditions of Marc Cohn's "Walking in Memphis," Robert Johnson's "Before You Accuse Me," Bob Dylan's "Knockin' on Heaven's Door" and Neil Young's "Rocking in the Free World;" as well as his own tunes "Girl Turned" and the title from his latest CD, "Soul Dust."

The performance was strong thus far. Rhyne's own voice and guitarwork were in good form, and his bandmates fleshed out the sound with tasty two- and three-part harmonies and instrumental coloring. Their presentation and vibe was friendly and warm, and the trio maintained a friendly connection with the Hitching Post audience throughout.

After a short intermission, more music was on the way. Rhyne and his associates opened the set with Rod Stewart's "Maggie May," and proceeded with favorites from Johnny Cash, John Mellencamp, Van Morrison, Bruce Springsteen and more. Highlights included some unexpected acoustic renditions of George Michael's "Faith" and Peter Gabriel's "In Your Eyes," and a few more original songs as well. The mood remained upbeat and friendly, with Rhyne and his bandmates playfully joking with one another and the audience. At show's end, the Hitching Post audience demanded another song, which Rhyne, Jenn and Adam responded to with the Who's "Squeeze Box." After this encore, it appeared that the show was over, but one patron wanted more music, and was willing to part with some green for it, giving Rhyne a $20 bill to do one more song. Rhyne and his bandmates gladly obliged, doing his original song "Rock-a-Bye" to end the night.

It was a good showing from Rhyne McCormick and his Last Chance accomplices. I look forward to seeing more of Rhyne's solo show and Last Chance when they hit stages later this spring.

Rhyne McCormick, flanked by Adam Becker (left) and wife Jenn McCormick (right).

Again, Rhyne McCormick and his Last Chance accomplices.

Once again, Rhyne McCormick.

Adam Becker.

Jenn McCormick.

NINE PLANET TOUR @ 4D’S LOUNGE, ALTOONA 3/9/07

Since Rhyne McCormick's show ended just after midnight, I had time to catch another band playing elsewhere in town this night; so I headed to the 4D's Lounge, where 9 Planet Tour was performing. A good-sized crowd was in attendance as I arrived during the intermission, and representatives of The Underground Television were present as well.

9 Planet Tour was soon ready to commence their nightcap set. Singer Erika Marino, guitarists Brendon Burns and Eric Wertz, bassist Kelly Montgomery and drummer Evan Rutherford launched the set with the B-52's "Love Shack," which instantly drew some audience members out onto the Dees' dance floor. The group then launched into Janis UJoplin's "Me and Bobby McGee;" I could detect a little bit of strain in Erika's voice this night as she went for the high notes. The group continued with favorites from Sublime, Radiohead, Wheatus, Joan Jett, Maroon 5, Weezer and more; with the 4D's dance floor staying busy through it all.

9 Planet Tour did a respectable job this night. They kept the tempo and energy level up, and were solid on the instrumental front. As mentioned, Erika's voice was showing a little bit of strain this night, but she weathered it well and, combined with her enthusiasm and sense of humor, still had the Dees crowd eating out of her hand. I thought the sound was a little overbearing this night as well, evidenced by some feedback bursts that erupted a few times during the set.

Those issues notwithstanding, though, it was still a good party, and the Dees populace seemed to enjoy it.

9 Planet Tour fills the dance floor at the 4D's.

Kelly Montgomery and Erika Marino of 9 Planet Tour.

Eric Wertz of 9 Planet Tour with a $20 bill under his cap...Apparently the ladies enjoyed his striptease display earlier...

Evan Rutherford and Eric Wertz of 9 Planet Tour.

Again, Evan Rutherford of 9 Planet Tour.

Erika Marino of 9 Planet Tour.

Also with money under his lid this night, Brendon Burns of 9 Planet Tour.

Bringing the party, 9 Planet Tour.

Again, Brendon Burns of 9 Planet Tour.

Kelly Montgomery of 9 Planet Tour.

PITCH BLACK @ ELECTRIC AVENUE, HOUTZDALE 3/10/07

Tired of being confined to Altoona by the winter weather, I took advantage of good road and weather conditions this night to journey up the mountain to Electric Avenue in Houtzdale, to catch the return of Lewistown's Pitch Black to action after a one-year hiatus.

I arrived during the first intermission, and found a good-sized crowd at Electric Avenue. I grabbed a brew, procured a strategic table to view the stage from, and awaited Pitch Black's second set.

The group was soon ready to go. Pitch Black has both a male and a female lead singer, Boz Mowery and Angela Oertner respectively, and both flexed their voices right off the bat with a coed rendition of Lynyrd Skynyrd's ever-popular "Sweet Home Alabama," demonstrating some killer harmonies along the way! Angela then took the spotlight on Pat Benatar's "Hit Me with Your Best Shot” and Melissa Etheridge’s “Bring Me Some Water.” After Lit’s “My Own Worst Enemy,” Boz and Angela teamed for another duet, Kid Rock and Sheryl Crow’s “Picture.” Boz flexed his voice on AC/DC’s “Live Wire” and Poison/Loggins & Messina’s “Your Mama Don’t Dance," followed by Angela doing her best Stevie Nicks vocalizing on Fleetwood Mac's "Rhiannon." After Angela fronted a country-flavored number, Boz handled lead voice on the Aerosmith double-shot of "Sweet Emotion" and "Walk This Way" to close the set.

Interestingly enough, I realized as I was watching Pitch Black that one of their guitar players was Adam Becker, who I had seen in action just 24 hours before with Rhyne McCormick! Also on guitar was a name I hadn't seen in action on stages in nearly 20 years, former Defiance bassman Mike McCartney. And the bass player, Brad Zinn, I hadn't seen onstage since the Bashful reunion performance in Shade Gap two summers ago. Keeping the beat on the drum kit was Mark Page.

Soon Pitch Black was back for the final round of the night. As with the previous set, the group opened up with another Boz and Angela duet, on Creedence Clearwater Revival/Ike & Tina's "Proud Mary." The group quickly had the dance floor busy again as they rocked the house with numbers from Puddle Of Mudd, Bachman Turner Overdrive, Guns N'Roses and more. At set's end, the Houtzdale crowd demanded one more song, and Pitch Black responded with Judas Priest's "Living After Midnight."

Pitch Black came on strong in their return performance. Boz and Angela both sounded strong on the vocal front, both individually and as a duet. Instrrumentally, this band was tight and solid on their instruments, making a steady, powerful and rocking backdrop for Boz and Angela. Their sound quality was good, and their presentation was charged and action-packed.

Electric Avenue liked Pitch Black, and so did I. Based at least on this performance, Pitch Black seems to be back with a vengeance. Hopefully we'll see more of this group on area stages in the coming months.

Angela Oertner of Pitch Black; photo taken by Don "Turk" Schnars.

Adam Becker of Pitch Black; also taken by "Turk."

Another "Turk" shot, Boz Mowery of Pitch Black.

Brad Zinn and Mike McCartney of Pitch Black.

Again, Adam Becker of Pitch Black.

Boz Mowery and Angela Oertner of Pitch Black.

Pitch Black rocks Electric Avenue.

Once again, Adam Becker of Pitch Black.

Again, Angela Oertner of Pitch Black.

Once again, Pitch Black; photo taken by Don "Turk" Schnars.

Again, Boz Mowery of Pitch Black.

Angela and Adam of Pitch Black.

The Pitch Black party continues.

"Turk" gets a picture of your friendly neighborhood Professor.

BAD DAZE @ PELLEGRINE’S, ALTOONA 3/11/07

This Sunday night was the semi-annual "Acoustic Jam Special" edition of Q94's "Backyard Rocker," with several acoustic acts performing individually and together on the air. Since there is always additional set-up and tear-down involved with this show, I didn't escape the workplace until well after midnight. Once I did escape, though, I headed to Pellegrine's to catch what I could of Bad Daze's performance.

The group was finishing up their second set as I arrived, closing it out with Poison's "Talk Dirty to Me" and Green Day's "Holiday." It was a business as usual night at Pellegrine's, with people in the house, but by no means crowded. But it was enough for a party, and Bad Daze was all too glad to oblige those who wanted to party down during the third set.

Although not huge in number, the Pelly's crowd this night contained several frisky women, and they almost stole the show during Bad Daze's third set. As singer Rob Carolus, guitarist Kenny Murdick, bassist Paul Rainey and drummer Randy Wilson brought the hot rocking party with tunes from Metallica, Billy Idol, Rage Against the Machine, Godsmack, Staind, Jimmy Eats World and more; several ladies were platooning on and off the stage to dance. And one lady put on a show, getting it on with a cardboard stand-up lady. Thrills and chills abounded!

It was a typically crazy Bad Daze night at Pellegrine's, and for what I got to witness of it, a decent...err, indecent?...party!

Some ladies bust their best moves onstage with Bad Daze.

Rob Carolus and a Bad Daze party.

Randy Wilson's drumbeats keep real and cardboard ladies alike dancing at Pellegrine's.

The onstage dancing action heats up...

Bad Daze's onstage party achieves full meltdown...

The Bad Daze party continues.

Again, Rob Carolus of Bad Daze.

JP’s HAIKU

Hitching Post Wednesday
Country night with Warren Dane
Played tunes past midnight!

http://pamusician.net
 Back to top »
Jim Price

Post Posted: Friday Dec 18, 2009 

http://pamusician.net
 Back to top »