· The Final Cut
EASTER WEEK/WEEKEND RECAP 4/9/07
ROCKPAGE Forum Index » JP's Corner
previous topic :: next topic  
Jim Price

Post Posted: Wednesday Jun 06, 2007 

EASTER WEEK/WEEKEND RECAP 4/9/07

MT. CITY GRASS @ THE HITCHING POST, ALTOONA 4/4/07

Ribs and bluegrass music were the ticket this night, as I headed to the Hitching Post after finishing my workplace duties for some vittles and Mt. City Grass.

As I arrived, singer/guitarist Denny Cerully, dobro-man/singer John Stevens, upright bass player Kate Cerully, guitarist/singer Ed Decker and banjo player Dean Berkheimer were in the midst of a nice bluegrass workout. They were doing lots of interesting numbers, including Flat & Scruggs numbers such as "Why Don't You Tell Me So," "My Cabin in the Hills of Caroline" and "Dear Old Dixie;" also Freddie Hart's "It Takes One to Know One," Ralph Stanley's "Down Where the River Bends" and "Love Me Darlin' Tonight," favorites such as "Rocky Top" and "Man of Constant Sorrow," Woody Guthrie's "New York Town" and more. Along the way, the group honored an audience member's request for Tony Hazzard's "Fox on the Run." After "Remington Ride" ended the set, the Hitching Post audience wanted an encore, so the group delivered with Mae Exton's "Pick Me Up on Your Way Down."

It was a good-sounding night of grassin,' with the musicians in good form, kicking back and having a good time. Everybody had their moments in the spotlight through the course of the performance, and the mood was relaxed and cordial. The Post's ribs, as usual, kicked butt. Bottom line, a good way to unwind after a day at work.

Mt. City Grass, cultivating some bluegrass at the Hitching Post.

Again, Mt. City Grass.

The next best thing Altoona has to an actual ‘Curtis Loew,’ John Stevens of Mt. City Grass, picking on his ol’ dobro.

VELVEETA @ 4D’S LOUNGE, ALTOONA 4/5/07

It was Good Friday Eve, and after pondering the options, I finished out my Thursday night with some 80's cheese, courtesy of Happy Valley's Velveeta at the 4D's Lounge.

A mid-sized crowd populated the Dees as I arrived before the start of Velveeta's second set, grabbed a brew and procured a table. Soon the band was ready to reconvene their celebration of 80's music, commencing with Whitesnake's "Here I Go Again" with bassman Steve Bentz singing lead. Steve, guitarist Brian Kriley and drummer John Harper all shared lead vocal chores as the group comtinued through numbers from Violent Femmes, Eddie Money, Proclaimers, Metallica, Poison, Def Leppard and more. It took a few songs for the dance floor action to heat up, but a non-80's tune, Neil Diamond's "Sweet Caroline," lured some ladies onto the floor, which continued to fill up from that point on. Velveeta also did one 70's song, Tommy Tutone's "867-5309/Jenny," and two 90's numbers, "Sublime's "Santeria" and Black Crowes' "Hard to Handle," during the set.

More folks arrived at the 4D's during the course of Velveeta's set, and by the time the group was ready for their third set, the 4D's had a near-packed house. The 80's cheese-rockers kicked back into action with Kenny Loggins' "Footloose," followed by more recent sounds with the Bloodhound Gang's "The Bad Touch." The group returned to the 80's with Journey's "Don't Stop Believin,'" Divinyls' "I Touch Myself" and Dexy's Midnight Runners' "Come On Eileen." At this point, two esteemed guests joined Velveeta onstage, 9 Planet Tour guitarist Eric Wertz and Giants Of Science singer/guitarist Mick; Mick sang lead on Nena's "99 Redballoons;" and stuck around for U2's "Sunday Bloody Sunday" to end the set. The 4D's crowd wanted one more; Velveeta responded with the Beastie Boys' "Fight for Your Right (to Party)" to end the night.

It was a typically good Velveeta party. These guys kept the tunes and action nonstop. Instrumentally they were on target, and vocally they did a good job. The special guests during the last set were icing on the cake; and added to the spirit of the festivities. The Dees' crowd lapped it up, and I found it an enjoyable way to finish up this Thursday night as well.

Steve Bentz of Velveeta.

Velveeta rocks the 4D’s.

With a lady helping with vocals, Steve Bentz of Velveeta.

Again, Velveeta with fans.

Getting up to sing with Velveeta, Mick from Giants Of Science.

Mick from Giants Of Science and Eric Wertz of 9 Planet Tour join Velveeta onstage.

Velveeta with their two guests, Mick and Eric.

Once again, guests Mick and Eric with Velveeta.

Yet again, Mick and Eric.

Brent Martin and Brian Kriley of Velveeta.

Again, Brent and Brian of Velveeta.

Again, Brent, Brian and Mike Lee of Velveeta.

Again, Steve Bentz of Velveeta.

Velveeta rocks the 4D’s.

John Harper of Velveeta.

CALLUM ROBBINS BENEFIT CONCERT @ ALDO’S, ALTOONA 4/6/07

Some children come into this world at a disadvantage. Callum Robbins is one such child. Callum, the son of musician/producer J. Robbins (who produced Edison's Picture Postcard CD when the group was signed to Kinetic/Reprise Records in the 90's), was born with a genetic motor neuron disease called Type 1 SMA (Spinal Muscular Atrophy), which affects the brain's ability to communicate with the voluntary muscles used for crawling, walking, head and neck control, breathing and swallowing. Many babies born with this condition don't survive past their first year, and those who do face a long road of treatments and therapy, and the prospect of being wheelchair bound.

Several bands featuring former Edison members joined forces this night to raise money to help out with Callum's medical espenses at a special benefit concert at Aldo's. The Callum Robbins Benefit Concert would feature a wide variety of musical sounds, and some reunions as well.

Kicking things off was Divine Everlasting, playing their final show under that name before announcing their new monicker, Syreth. Lead vocalist Devin Jones, Adam Schaffer on guitar and vocals, and Tony Ross on guitar and programming played their distinctive brand of terse, cyber-rooted metal, blending elements of classic metal with cyber and grindcore elements. The group did several original compositions, and applied their brutal style and sound to a rendition of Survivor's "Eye Of The Tiger" (to be used in Rocky XXIII as the theme when Rocky Balboa slugs it out with Satan to stay out of hell). The group seems to be incorporating more melodic elements into their sound, from more intricate melodies to more variation in Devin's vocal delivery. Although Divine Everlasting's sound seemed to baffle a few people in the audience, the group still received some polite applause for their efforts.

Kicking off the show, Divine Everlasting.

Adam Schaffer and Tony Ross of Divine Everlasting.

Adam Schaffer and Devin Jones of Divine Everlasting.

Once again, Divine Everlasting.

Originally, former Edison frontman Ryan Tyler's current South Carolina-based band, lowercase Thieves, was supposed to perform this night. However, several band members were unable to make the journey, thus relegating Ryan to perform a solo acoustic set instead. Ryan performed several original compositions, still demonstrating the same type of expressive, intense performing style he used to exhibit in Edison. Ryan's performance was well-received, as former Edison fans were glad to see him in action once again, even as a solo performer.

This day performing as a solo artist again, Ryan Tyler.

With Sav and Chris McConnell providing moral support, Ryan Tyler.

Next was another Edison alumnus, former guitarist Shawn Shultz, and his current band home these days, The Flame Sky. The Flame Sky demonstrated their blend of hot musicianship and intensity on their set of original compositions, including songs such as "Only In Your Head, "The Maze," "Creature" and more. Shawn on bass, singer/guitarist Ed Brinkel, lead guitarist Jason Feathers and drummer Nate Woods were tight and fiery, drawing increasing amounts of applause with their intensity and detail.

The Flame Sky launches into their set during the Callum Robbins Benefit.

Ed Brinkel of The Flame Sky.

Again, The Flame Sky.

Ed Brinkel and Nate Woods of The Flame Sky.

Posing for a group shot after their set ended, The Flame Sky.

Closing out the night was one more Edison alumnus, former bassist Chris McConnell, and the band he now drums for, Shades Of June. This was Shades Of June’s first Aldo’s visit, and they made the most of it. Chris, lead singer Jess Maguire, guitarist/singer Ryan Krinjeck and bassist Chris Myer brought on an all-out rocking set that blended original songs with select covers. From their Life Sentences CD, Shades Of June did such numbers as the high-powered “Not The One For Me,” the Ryan-fronted “Be Anything,” “Awake” and “Reflection.” The group also broke out renditions of Jet’s “Are You Gonna Be My Girl,” Cheap Trick’s “I Want You to Want Me” and an uptempo read of Blind Melon’s “No Rain.” The first time I had seen them since just after Jess took over lead vocals over a year ago, I was quite impressed with this band’s energy level, especially Jess, who was constant EN_er_GY during the entire set! Based on this set, it seems like Shades Of June has stepped it up to a whole new level, and I’m eager to check out this band in action again very soon!

Jess Maguire of Shades Of June.

Jess Maguire and Ryan Krinjeck of Shades Of June.

Again, Jess Maguire of Shades Of June.

Stepping up the night’s energy level, Shades Of June.

Chris Myer of Shades Of June.

Ryan Krinjeck of Shades Of June.

Chris Myer and Ryan Krinjeck of Shades Of June.

Once again, Jess Maguire of Shades Of June.

One more time, Shades Of June.

This night reunited former members of Edison: Chris McConnell, Shawn Shultz and Ryan Tyler.

Although Aldo’s wasn’t packed for this benefit, it still succeeded in raising over $600 towards Callum Robbins and his family. It was a fun evening for witnessing three former members of Edison getting together again, and featured a diverse slate of musical sounds for a good cause.

MUSHROOMHEAD/PSYCLON NINE/AS SUMMER DIES/DRAGON FIRE @ CITY LIMITS, ALTOONA 4/7/07

This night was The Underground Television's first foray into bringing a national show to the area. Mushroomhead, some eleven years after first visiting this town at Aldo's, was returning to Altoona to perform at City Limits, and they were bringing some interesting band guests with them. I witnessed the spectacle of Mushroomhead at that Aldo's show back in 1996 (the only time I've ever seen Aldo turn white as a sheet!), and I had to bear witness to their Altoona return.

After one of the advertised bands, Black Flood Diesel, cancelled out of the show the night before, the start time of the show was adjusted to 8 PM, and I ended up missing the opening band, Altoona's own Dragon Fire. Eyewitness accounts, though, said that Dragon Fire represented well, and succeeded in firing up the jam-packed City Limits crowd.

Upon arriving, I migrated to City Limits' rear bar area, where the Underground Television contingent had set up shop. From that vantage point, I observed the next band on the bill, As Summer Dies. From Buffalo, As Summer Dies played a heavy, angst-ridden brand of modern rock not far removed from Marilyn Manson. The group displayed good energy and sounded clean and tight. At least from my first time experiencing them, though, there wasn't anything truly distinct about As Summer Dies that made them stand out enough for me to want to go out of my way to purchase their CD or see them again. Bottom line, they struck me as one more group in a sea of heavy-geared emo bands. Next...

Although I hadn't actually planned to advance my way forward to the stage front until Mushroomhead's set, I was pulled up front by several fired up ladies, including long-time concert warriors Lovey and Crystal. I give these gals credit, they didn't let anyone stand in their way, and plowed through the sea of people right up in front of the stage, giving me a great vantage point to see the next band, Psyclon Nine. I was pretty impressed by Psyclon Nine; this San Francisco-based group did a fiery brand of aggressive, industrial-flavored heavy rock. This group was constant action as they churned their way through their heavy cyber grooves and got City Limits' stagefront masses jumping and moving. Late in the set, Mushroomhead keyboard man Schmotz emerged onstage and bounced off the band members, firing up the crowd further. Psyclon Nine delivered an exciting set, and was the perfect set-up for Mushroomhead's finale to follow.

Psyclon Nine.

Nero Bellum of Psyclon Nine.

Again, Psyclon Nine.

Dr. Sevin of Psyclon Nine.

I remained up front and near the stage for Mushroomhead's set, hopeful of getting some photographs. Although cameras weren't permitted, Mushroomhead's stage manager gave me permission to take some photos; and I heeded the announcements onstage to not use flash photography. I knew it would be harder to get good shots this way, but I'd make up for it by taking more of them; at least a few good pictures would likely surface out of it. As Mushroomhead began their set, the crowd erupted into a turbulent, moshing frenzy. I lost my footing, and wound up losing some ground up front in order to avoid falling down in the middle of the crowd fury. I ended up about 5-6 feet behind my previous position, and near the middle of the stagefront crowd. I was in for a rough ride! But I was game for it, as Mushroomhead – the costumed corps of Schmotz, frontmen Waylon and Nothing, Stitch on Samples, Gravy on guitar, Skinny on drums and Pigbenis on bass – floored the house with their set. As expected, Mushroomhead ignited the floor with their theatric and forceful brand of industrial and goth-tinged metal. They performed a number of songs from their latest CD, Savior Sorrow, and mixed in several older numbers as well. It was full fury for the duration of their set, and City Limits' crowd was constant turbulence through it all. I was proud to say I held my own in this constant pit, even brandishing a bruised shoulder from somebody's chin by the end of it all. And I managed to get some decent pictures, thanks to getting myself situated in close proximity to City Limits' T-shirt dance floor security force, where things were a little less out of control.

After the show ended, I witnessed a non-musical highlight, as City Limits side bar staffer Danette vaulted over the bar to singlehandedly thwart a catfight in the ladies' room. I only wish I had been quicker with the camera!

In all, this was a good night. The crowd was huge and enthusiastic, boding well for both The Underground TV and City Limits to try more national-caliber shows in the future. The only disappointment was that this show had ended before midnight, but the show itself was exciting, especially the headliners and Psyclon Nine. Mushroomhead showed that just as in 1996, this band is still an all-out, theatrical, heavy rocking spectacle.

Thanks to The Underground Television for stepping up and taking the risk of bringing a national-caliber show to Altoona; it was long overdue. Hopefully it will be the first of many.

Through a forearm, Gravy of Mushroomhead.

Pigbenis of Mushroomhead.

Waylon and Pigbenis of Mushroomhead.

View from the trenches: Mushroomhead.

Hands and arms were flying up front as Mushroomhead rocked City Limits.

Again, Mushroomhead.

Again, Gravy of Mushroomhead.

Once again, Gravy of Mushroomhead.

More with Gravy of Mushroomhead.

Waylon of Mushroomhead.

Again, Waylon of Mushroomhead.

Schmotz of Mushroomhead goes surfing.

More Mushroomhead crowd-surfing.

With water droplets splashing off the drum heads, Mushroomhead.

More crowd frenzy with Mushroomhead.

Once again, Mushroomhead.

The Mushroomhead melee continues.

HALF TEMPTED @ THE HITCHING POST, ALTOONA 4/7/07

Since the Mushroomhead show finished before midnight, there was still plenty of time left to take in another show in town. So I headed several blocks away to the Hitching Post, to finish out the night with Half Tempted.

The Post had a respectable-sized crowd as singer/guitarist Ron Dalansky, bassist Paul Barsom and drummer Steve McCulley were wrapping up their second set of the night with Kiss’ “Rock and Roll All Night” and Cheap Trick’s “I Want You to Want Me.”

A few more survivors from the Mushroomhead onslaught arrived at the Post along the way, including the person who helped drag me to the front of the stage, Lovey. The mood was festive at the Post, both from City Limits concertgoers recovering from the show and from folks who had been rocking and rolling with Half Tempted since the get-go.

Half Tempted picked up the ball and ran with it during the third set, kicking off with Skynyrd’s “Sweet Home Alabama,” and continuing with high-powered takes on tunes from the Ramones, Violent Femmes, Nirvana, Judas Priest, Metallica, Eric Clapton, Tommy Tutone and more. Frequent-flyer Half Tempted guest singer Denise Neely made her appearance on stage to sing on AC/DC’s “Highway to Hell.” Eventually, Half Tempted capped their rowdy hard-rocking party with Twisted Sister’s “We’re Not Gonna Take It.”

It was reliably good party-hardy rock and roll as only Half Tempted can bring it. The Hitching Post audience appreciated it, and for me it was just the right tonic to cap a hard-rocking night with.

Ron Dalansky of Half Tempted looks on as Jeremy Nelson jams on snow shovel.

Helen and Lovey dance as Half Tempted rocks on.

Ron Dalansky of Half Tempted.

Paul Barsom of Half Tempted.

Steve McCulley of Half Tempted.

Once again, Half Tempted.

9 PLANET TOUR @ PELLEGRINE’S, ALTOONA 4/8/07

My Easter weekend drew to a close at Pellegrine’s, with 9 Planet Tour providing the music.

I arrived late in the group’s second set, in time to catch their set-closing rendition of Alannah Myles’ “Black Velvet,” with singer Erika Marino providing the powerful voice. A good mid-sized crowd was on hand to finish out their Easter holiday in rocking fashion.

It was business as usual this night, and Erika, guitarists Eric Wertz and Brendon Burns, bassist Kelly Montgomery and drummer Evan Rutherford did what they needed to pull some people up onto the dance floor. Their last set featured favorites from the B-52’s, Sublime, Weezer, Aerosmith, Queens of the Stone Age, Wheatus, Maroon 5, Janis Joplin, Joan Jett, Guns N’Roses and Nena. Overall the group sounded good, and they managed to keep a contingent of fans up front and partying.

Erika Marino of 9 Planet Tour.

A few populate the Pelly’s dance floor for 9 Planet Tour.

Brendon Burns of 9 Planet Tour.

Brendon Burns and Kelly Montgomery of 9 Planet Tour.

Giving the fans something to dance to, 9 Planet Tour.

Brendon Burns, Kelly Montgomery and Eric Wertz of 9 Planet Tour.

Again, Brendon, Kelly and Eric of 9 Planet Tour.

Again, Erika Marino of 9 Planet Tour.

Once again, 9 Planet Tour.

Kelly Montgomery and Brendon Burns of 9 Planet Tour.

One more time, 9 Planet Tour.

JP’S HAIKU

Mushroomhead freakshow
City Limits jam-packed house
Danette thwarts catfight

http://pamusician.net
 Back to top »
Jim Price

Post Posted: Friday Dec 18, 2009 

http://pamusician.net
 Back to top »
ROCKPAGE Forum Index » JP's Corner