· The Final Cut
WEEK/WEEKEND RECAP 4/30/07
ROCKPAGE Forum Index » JP's Corner
previous topic :: next topic  
Jim Price

Post Posted: Wednesday Jun 27, 2007 

WEEKEND RECAP 4/30/07

GRADE E @ AL’S TAVERN, ALTOONA 4/26/07

After another long Thursday night at the workplace, I headed to Al's Tavern for the bi-weekly groovefest served up by one Grade E. And for the food, too...

Grade E was literally playing nonstop this night, having started at 9 PM and not yet taking a break as I arrived around 11:30. Chris, Mike and Todd were laying down the grooves with numbers from G. Love & Special Sauce, Sublime, Johnny Cash, the Stones their own original numbers and more, even breaking out some old Neogumbo!

Meanwhile, I did another Al's menu item for supper, the Bada Boom Sandwich; kicked ass! (Chicken breast with marinara, peppers, pepperoni and cheese, worked for me!)

Grade E continued their nonstop groovefest for 4 hours straight, closing it out shortly after 1 AM with the Stones' "Sympathy for the Devil." A small audience of fans appreciated the nonstop tunes and cheered the group as they went along.

Once again, the blend of tasty tunes and tasty Al's food made it worth my stopping by to close out another Thursday night. I'll definitely be back for more!

DASHBOARD MARY @ 4D’S LOUNGE, ALTOONA 4/27/07

This night, I decided to catch the new band in town this night, Scranton's Dashboard Mary, at the 4D's Lounge.

I arrived just into the group's first set, and not surprisingly given a new and unfamiliar band name playing in Altoona on a Friday night, no crowd was present at the Dees. For Dashboard Mary's first set, their audience was me, their sound and production people, and the Dees' bar staff and a handful of regulars seated at the bar. Hopefully, as happens on some Fridays at this venue, the crowd would arrive later.

Featuring singer/percussionist/acoustic guitarist Chris Langan, lead guitarist/singer Rob Roman, bassist/singer Joe DelRosso and drummer/singer Schroeder; Dashboard Mary concentrated on a lot of 90's sounds during the initial set, doing numbers from Bush, Cracker, Sublime, Collective Soul, Local H, Green Day, Stone Temple Pilots, Pearl Jam and more. Their execution was clean, and the group was sharp on their instruments and vocals. The highlight of their first set was Rob's guitar solo display on Pearl Jam's "Alive" to close out the set; too bad more people were not on hand to experience it.

A handful of additional people started to arrive at the 4D's as Dashboard Mary started into their second set. During this set, the group opened up a little bit more with their song selection. The group opened with the same band they closed the first set with, Pearl Jam, doing "Daughter." Rob showed some more guitar flair during the group's rendition of Gin Blossoms' "Hey Jealousy," before the group did favorites from Tom Petty, Jimmy Eats World and Blind Melon. Dashboard Mary then dug back into the very early 70's for a spirited take on the Doors' "Peace Frog," before launching into a freewheeling medley that fused together portions of tunes from Huey Lewis & the News, Billy Idool, Modern English, Kiss, Poison, Aerosmith, Joan Jett, Prince and Adam and the Ants. This medley sparked the first dance floor action of the evening, and the ladies remained on the floor for "I Will Survive," even organizing a line dance. Queen's "Crazy Little Thing Called Love" and a fast-firing spin on James' "Laid" finished out the set.

A few more people arrived during the intermission; and although the Dees was not crowded by any means, it was an improvement over the totally empty room during the first set. Dashboard Mary returned and commenced their third set with Red Hot Chili Peppers' "Suck My Kiss," followed by the Flys' "Got You Where I Want You." The group triggered some more dance floor activity with tunes from Nirvana, Dead Or Alive, Divinyls, Radiohead and 311 to close out the night.

While not many people were on hand to enjoy them, I came away pretty impressed with my first look at Dashboard Mary. The group sounded crisp and focused, and they generated a good, enthusiastic vibe as they went along. They applied their own style and sound to a number of the songs they performed this night, and their overall presentation was fresh. This band has a few more shows upcoming at the Dees, so hopefully more area fans will discover this group during their return visits.

Dashboard Mary, making their Altoona debut at the 4D’s Lounge.

Chris Langan of Dashboard Mary.

Joe DelRosso of Dashboard Mary.

Again, Dashboard Mary.

Once again, Dashboard Mary.

Rob Roman of Dashboard Mary.

Triggering some dance action on the Dees’ floor, Dashboard Mary.

GET CLOSER TO THE MUSIC 4TH ANNUAL MUSIC FESTIVAL @ EAST JUNIATA COMMUNITY CENTER, ALTOONA 4/28/07

This was a weekend for the kids! Get Closer To The Music was doing it again, presenting their 4th annual Music Festival. Due to renovations being done at the Booker T. Washington Civic Center where the event took place the past two years, the Central Blair Recreation & Park Commission offered up an alternate site, the East Juniata Community Center behind the now-razed Long Branch Cafe location in east Juniata. This facility was near identical to the Booker T. Washington Center, and despite the location change, a steady stream of families and kids attended the day's festivities.

From the get-go, it was a busy scene, as youngsters discovered the world of musical instruments. As expected, the drums were the most popular instruments, and guest instructors Bill Hocherl and Lisa Fazenbaker (and later on, Rob Bonsell) helped acquaint kids with drums, drumsticks and proper playing techniques. Jeff Renner helped introduce youngsters to guitars, while other instructors offered instruction on bass and keys. It was a constant cacophony of sound, as the sounds of kids discovering music were amplified by the cavernous acoustics of the Community Center. Ear plugs and partitions to divide the instrument demonstration area and band performance areas are being considered for next year.

Bill Hocherl looks on as a youngster gets a feel for banging on the drums.

More youngsters try their hands at the drums.

Silver Sunday/Grade E’s Todd Harshbarger was one of the visiting musicians who helped show kids how to play the drums.

Bill Hocherl and Rob Bonsell look on as youngsters have fun on the drums.

RobtheDrummer, teaching a prospective future drummer.

Once again, a busy day in the drum area.

Instructor Jeff Renner looks on as young Bob Detwiler strikes a pose with the guitar.

Two more folks get acquainted with the guitar.

A young lady tries her hand at the keyboard.

Two more ladies try their hands at the keyboard.

Through it all, several bands performed through the course of the day. Spirit Lost was first up, performing their blend of classic, current and original rock; including numbers from Hinder, ZZ Top, Green Day, Godsmack, Foo Fighters, Pink Floyd and more. A highlight of their set was special guest Brian Elliott from Generation Gap singing dual lead vocals with Austin Tepsic on Pink Floyd’s “Run Like Hell.”

Spirit Lost, kicking off the music at Get Closer To The Music’s 4th annual Music Festival.

Again, Spirit Lost.

Once again, Spirit Lost.

Lisa “Woo” Fazenbaker of Spirit Lost.

Guest Brian Elliott of Generation Gap helps sing Pink Floyd’s “Run Like Hell” with Spirit Lost.

Austin Tepsic of Spirit Lost with guest Brian Elliott.

Generation Gap – this day featuring singer Brian Elliott, guitarists Colton Fouse and Brian Smith, keyboard man Keith Little, bassist Harry Walter and Drummer (and Get Closer To The Music main man) Ed Murvine – then did a set blending rock sounds from the 70's, 80's and 90's, including tunes from Doobie Brothers, Big Head Todd & the Monsters, Kenny Wayne Shepherd, Lynyrd Skynyrd, Black Crowes, Collective Soul, Stevie Ray Vaughan, Goo Goo Dolls and more. The highlight of their set had to be the rendition of War's "Low Rider," where the band welcomed the drum instructors and the aspiring young drummers to bring drums and cowbells to the stage and help keep the beat.

Generation Gap performs at Get Closer To The Music’s festival.

Colton Fouse of Generation Gap.

Brian Elliott of Generation Gap.

Keith Little of Generation Gap.

Again, Generation Gap.

A seated audience takes in Generation Gap’s performance.

Harry Walter of Generation Gap.

Ed Murvine of Generation Gap (and Get Closer To The Music).

Colton, Brian and Harry of Generation Gap.

Instructors Bill Hocherl and Lisa Fazenbaker, plus some young drummers, step up to the stage to add some percussion to Generation Gap’s rendition of “Low Rider.”

Future drummers keeping the beat with Generation Gap.

More fun with the kids and Generation Gap.

One more time, Generation Gap and a bunch of happy youngsters.

In their full hair and sleazy headbanger regalia, Hair Force One – sans new keyboard player Roman Fyngerz – then took the audience back on an 80's hair-band joyride, rocking the auditorium with numbers from Def Leppard, Poison, Bon Jovi, Tesla, Skid Row, Cinderella, Twisted Sister, Guns N'Roses and more.

Hair Force One brings a little bit of 80’s decadence to the Music Festival.

Victor Synn of Hair Force One.

Again, Hair Force One.

Iva Biggin and Phillip DaPussee of Hair Force One.

Again, Victor Synn of Hair Force One.

Michael J. Cox of Hair Force One.

A pair of folks cut the rug to Hair Force One.

I was in for a bit of a surprise. Before introducing Felix & the Hurricanes, Ed Murvine presented a large plaque to yours truly on behalf of the area musicians. This was totally unexpected, and left me speechless and in awe for several moments. Thanks to Ed, Get Closer to the Music, and all the musicians for the show of support, this was very cool and much appreciated!

Yours truly, receiving an unexpected surprise.

Afterward, Felix & the Hurricanes closed out the afternoon's music with their set of scorching classic and blues rock sounds. Early on in their set, the 'Canes welcomed a special guest to the stage; Bob Detwiler. Bob was the shy youngster who was invited to bring a guitar up to the stage last year and play alongside the Hurricanes. One year later, this youngster has been practicing, and he played alongside Felix, Jeff and Bob for much of the set, helping the 'Canes on versions of "Sweet Home Alabama" (the tune he did with them last year), the 'Canes' own "Keep on Rockin,'" Skynyrd's "Ballad of Curtis Loew" and more. Later in the set, Felix invited the other youngsters up to the stage, and actually turned his one of the microphones towards the kids to let them do some singing or playing if they wished.

Felix & the Hurricanes with special young guest Bob Detwiler.

Again, the Hurricanes with their guest guitarslinger.

Felix Kos and Jeff Clapper jam with Bob Detwiler.

The audience looks on as the Hurricanes perform.

Felix & the Hurricanes with special young guest Bob Detwiler.

Once again, Felix & the Hurricanes with a happy Bob Detwiler.

Once again, Bob Detwiler.

Ed Murvine then closed out the day by announcing the door prize and raffle winners. I was happy - for the second year in a row, I scored a percussion instrument, winning a Latin cajon. I like this instrument – I can play it while sitting down on it!

It was a very good day, and Get Closer To The Music's 4th annual Music Festival was a fun event. It was great to see shy youngsters beam when they started banging on the drums for the first time. It was also very cool to see lots of area musicians bring their own youngsters to the event, and even help out the instructors in showing kids how to play instruments. Hats off to Get Closer To The Music for encouraging kids to discover instruments and music; here's hoping we see some of these youngsters years from now playing on stages in our region!

Rick and Ace’s Music Sales, taking part in the Music Festival.

Making a cameo appearance to sign autographs and take some pictures, local Nashville recording artist Ricky Lee.

Showing his drumming skills to a youngster, Rob Bonsell.

With Rock For The Troops in the house, this banner was hanging on the wall for visitors to sign for our troops in Iraq and Afghanistan.

PLUSH @ MOJO’S, CLEARFIELD 4/28/07

Even after spending the entire day at the Get Closer To The Music festival, I still had enough energy for a roadtrip this night. So I headed to Clearfield to get my first look at Mojo's, and check in with Happy Valley party rockers Plush.

First, my first impressions of Mojo's - nice room! It looks like a warehouse on the outside, but is a spacious, modern-looking sports bar/nightclub on the inside, with a nice big stage for entertainment, and an in-house sound system.

A good-sized crowd was already present at Mojo's as I arrived, but I was still able to locate a vacant table not too far from the stage to view the band from. Plush was on break, but soon would return to the stage for their second set. There was a substitution in the Plush line-up this night, as Lock Haven's Mark Stevenson was filling in for Plush's regularly-scheduled bassist C-Dub, whose father had passed away earlier in the week. Mark, singer Brian "Roq" of the Clan Plus, guitarist Luis "Moltox" and drummer The Trav Show commenced the set with Cheap Trick's "I Want You to Want Me," with Brian greeting and welcoming a pajama-clad bachelorette party up on stage to dance alongside the band. The group continued with Kenny Loggins' "Footloose" and an audience singalong rendition of Joan Jett's "I Love Rock'n'Roll," before giving the slow dance fans their moment on the floor with Bob Dylan's "Knocking on Heaven's Door.." A rendition of James' "Laid" picked the tempo back up, and Mojo's dance floor remained busy as Plush generated the party onstage with favorites from Rick Springfield, Violent Femmes, Journey, The Outfield, Def Leppard, Poison, and Tom Petty's ever-popular "American Girl" to close out the set.

Although Mark had never played onstage with Plush prior to this night, he was doing a very good job filling in, enough so that I thought he was actually the band's official new bass player until Brian told me he was substituting! Plush's execution was tight overall, and only a few brief pauses between songs lent any indication that this was not the band's normal line-up. Brian again showed his skills as singer and master of ceremonies, as he took control of the party from the first moment of the set and confidently led the festivities.

Soon, Plush's final chapter of the night was ready to begin. After Plush resumed the music with Jimmy Eats World's "The Middle," the bachelorette pajama party returned to the stage and danced alongside the band for much of the remainder of the show. Plush gave them and the rest of the dance floor participants plenty of rug-cutting tunes from Modern English, Johnny Cash, Weezer, Metallica, Ozzy Osbourne, Loverboy, Lynyrd Skynyrd and more. Plush's rendition of Bon Jovi's "Livin' on a Prayer," several ladies climbed atop the bar in the rear of the room and danced along. After the crowd beckoned Plush to return to the stage for an encore, there were ladies on the stage, the dancefloor and atop the bar for the night-ending version of Buckcherry's "Crazy Bitch."

Plush demonstrated the old adage that "the show must go on," and convincingly delivered the party in spite of a key band member missing. This was a good, charged party that made the crowd happy and made it worth my roadtrip to Clearfield to partake in.

With substitute bass player Mark Stevenson (left), Plush rocks Mojo’s in Clearfield.

Brian of the Clan Plush.

Filling in on bass with Plush this night, Mark Stevenson.

Again, Plush.

Brian “Roq” of Plush with a pajama-clad bachelorette party onstage.

Plush and some partying bachelorettes.

Again, Brian “Roq” of Plush.

Luis “Moltox” of Plush.

“The Trav Show” of Plush.

With a bachelorette behind him, “Roq” of Plush.

Again, “Moltox” of Plush.

Again, “The Trav Show” of Plush.

Plush, keeping Mojo’s dance floor busy.

Plush’s party continues.

Once again, Plush’s designated hitter bassist this night, Mark Stevenson.

17TH ANNUAL CRAZY FEST AMATEUR YOUTH TALENT SHOW @ GREENWOOD FIREHALL, ALTOONA 4/29/07

As said earlier, this was a weekend for the kids! The previous day, Get Closer To The Music’s 4th annual Music Festival introduced youngsters to the world of instruments and music. This day, the 17th annual Crazy Fest Amateur Youth Talent Show would show what happens when youngsters are introduced to music and entertaining, and are given the opportunity to develop talents in these endeavors.

Every year when I attend this event, hosted and organized by Dennie Huber, I am always eager to see what new faces emerge from the youth movement, and whose names I should keep in the back of my mind as possible future talents I’ll be writing about in Pennsylvania Musician or talking about and playing on Q94. Not surprisingly, this year showed a few new faces we’ll have to keep an eye on.

In introducing the event, Dennie Huber emphasized that Crazy Fest is about encouraging - and never discouraging - youngsters to perform. He assured contestants and parents that there were no Simon Cowell's in the room, and that young contestants would not be criticized or humiliated in front of the audience.

The organizer and master of ceremonies, Dennie Huber.

Per the norm for this event, the youngest contestants go first in the 7 and under competition. For such young performers, this is often their first ever time in the spotlight in front of a group of people, and sometimes nerves can get to them. Such was the case for the first contestant, a 6-year-old girl who started a ballet routine, but became overcome by the moment and broke down crying in the middle of her performance. Dennie Huber consoled the youngster, and the supportive audience applauded her efforts up to that point. Another 6-year-old dancer, Ava Kline, made it through her routine, and eventually won the top honors for this age division.

Next was the 8 to 10-year-old division. Two of the contestants, 9-year-old Kirsten Lykens and 9-year-old Cindy Piner, did dance routines. Kirsten’s was actually a tap dance routine; cool to see youngsters being taught this art form! The third contestant, 8-year-old singer Shannon Barnes, tickled the audience’s funny bones with her rendition of “Be Good to Your Parents.” When the judges’ scores were tabulated, Cindy won top honors in this division.

Shannon Barnes.

The first exhibition performer of the afternoon was next. One thing that has become a tradition of Crazy Fest is that a number of past contestants, after aging out of the competition, volunteer to return to the event every year either as judges, exhibition performers, or both. Former Crazy Fest trophy winner Angela Dodson, now a singer for the Huntingdon-based country group The Country Outlaws, was back as both judge and performer, and sang one of her own original songs, “Walk The Line.”

Singing in exhibition, Angela Dodson.

Dennie Huber explained that one of the reasons that this event is called Crazy Fest is that every year is different, and age divisions can vary from year to year, depending on the amount of contestants in any age group. Since there were several 11-year-old entrants this year, Dennie decided to make this age group its own category. First up was Carter Cerully – the son of local bluegrassers Denny and Katie Cerully of Mt. City Grass fame. With dad and mom playing guitar and bass accompaniment behind him, Carter sang a traditional folk number, “Long Journey Home.” Next was Chelsea Moses, dressed as a boy, to sing a humorous song (I forget the title), and Harley Saltsgiver with a lyrical ballet performance. Chelsea, the daughter of Rockpage’s own TornandFrayed, won top honors with her cutting edge performance.

With his parents providing accompaniment, Carter Cerully. (Accompanying musicians are permitted at Crazy Fest, only the contestant himself is judged.)

Chelsea Moses, performing her humorous singing routine.

The 12-13 year old division was next. Likewise, this age division had three contestants, singer Hunter White, singer/guitarist McKenzie Wilson, and pianist Edith Henry. McKenzie won top honors.

The eventual winner in the 12-13 year old age bracket, from Three Springs, McKenzie Wilson.

Edith Henry performs on keys.

Dennie Huber lines up all of the 13 and under contestants for the judges’ and audience’s review.

Next was the first of two contestants in the amateur band division. Dennie has always made sure that young amateur bands were included in Crazy Fest, as he knows how hard it is for young bands to get started and to get their first chance to perform publicly. He told me that this year, though, he had some interesting stories to report from some of the bands that inquired about performing at Crazy Fest. One band, with a swear word in their name, wanted to all wear T-shirts with the swear word. But this is a family event, and Dennie couldn’t allow it. Another band wanted to play a whole set instead of one song, and declined when Dennie told them they could only do one song. But the best story was a third young band, who wanted part of the door proceeds before they would do Crazy Fest! Wow, have times changed, even young teenage bands are out for the almighty dollar! Anyway, the first band to perform in this year’s amateur division was a Roaring Spring-based foursome called Currently Debating. They did a garage-flavored pop/punk number called “Stupid Boy,” and got a rousing response from the Crazy Fest audience. I later found out that this was Currently Debating’s first ever public performance. Everybody has to start somewhere, and Currently Debating got their first exposure to the limelight here.

Playing their first public show, Currently Debating.

Playing in front of a supportive Crazy Fest audience, Currently Debating.

The 14-year-old division was next. Four contestants were in this division, starting with singer Patrick Stalter, who brought an emotional reaction from Dennie Huber with his powerful rendition of “The Impossible Dream.” Dennie explained that he had known Patrick since he was a young child, and he was elated to see how Patrick’s singing talents had developed. Patrick was followed by aspiring country singer Courtney Colpetzer, singer Hayley Hallinan with her rendition of "I Will Survive," and drummer Matthew Brantner, who fired off an impressive solo on the kit. Hayley was judged top in this division.

Singing his passionate rendition of “The Impossible Dream,” Patrick Stalter.

Hayley Hallinan during her Crazy Fest award-winning performance of “I Will Survive.

Firing off his drum solo, Matthew Brantner.

You could see him behind the kit on an area stage in the future…Matthew Brantner.

The 15-17-year-old division followed. First was 16-year-old Nick Finnochio of Altoona, who sang and played an original song on piano, called "Invisible." Next was 17-year-old Michael Hallinan, who sang, played guitar and harmonica. A past Crazy Fest contestant, 15-year-old Maura Murphy, sang a song called "Arms of Love" (I believe done by Amy Grant). Maura's performance won top honors.

Eventually winning the Most Original Performance/Male top honors, Nick Finnochio.

Michael Hallinan.

Eventually winning top honors in the age 15-17 division, Maura Murphy.

At this point, another Crazy Fest alumnus on the judging panel gave an exhibition performance. Crystal Marie, now a popular country singing attraction on the fair and festival circuit, sang a country number, before awarding this year's Crazy Fest Hall Of Fame Award to Renee Brantlinger, a former Crazy Fest contestant who has gone on to dance professionally, and also open her own dance studio.

Performing in exhibition, Crystal Marie.

The age 18-21 year old division was next. A returning Crazy Fest contestant, Roaring Spring's Kira Burley sang a Dixie Chicks tune with guitar accompaniment. In his final year of eligibility, another Crazy Fest veteran, Luke Henry, performed a version of "Sweet Home Alabama" on electric guitar and vocals, with rhythm guitar accompaniment. And another Crazy Fest vet in her final year of competing eligibility, Autumn Shiffler (daughter of former XL/Not Them Guys frontman Steve Shiffler) crooned a country number called "So Beautiful."

With guitar accompaniment, Roaring Spring’s Kira Burley.

Performing with rhythm guitar accompaniment, Luke Henry.

Singing in her last year of Crazy Fest eligibility, Autumn Shiffler.

With the age division competition completed, next was the duos and groups category, featuring non-band groups. First was the young trio of (Chelsea) Moses, McCaffrey and (Kirsten) Lykens, doing a show dance routine. They were followed by (Luke) Henry & Crider, performing an original southern blues-rock instrumental number. Finishing this division was magic troupe Michael DePiro and Company, doing magic and slight of hand. Moses, McCaffrey & Lykens were the eventual winners.

The duo of Henry & Crider.

Entertaining the Crazy Fest audience with some magic, the Michael Depiro Group.

The second band of the amateur band division performed next. The 45-D's, a four-piece band featuring solo contestant Luke Henry and a female keyboard player sharing lead vocal duties, did a spunky rendition of the B-52's "Private Idaho," which won them top honors in this year's amateur band division.

This year’s Crazy Fest amateur band division winners, The 45 D’s.

One more exhibition performance remained. Another former Crazy Fest contestant and now judge, former Generation Gap keyboardist Don Hughes, played an original instrumental composition on his keyboard.

Performing in exhibition, Don Hughes.

At this point, the awarding of the hardware took place. As part of Crazy Fest's credo of encouraging - and not discouraging - youngsters to perform and demonstrate their talents, Dennie Huber strives to pass out as many 1st, 2nd and 3rd place trophies, plaques and awards as possible this year, so virtually every contestant comes away with something. First, the awards in the various age divisions were given out, followed by the groups and amateur band divisions. Other Crazy Fest awards were then announced, beginning with the Future Star honors, handed out to individuals that the judges feel showed the greatest potential for furthering their entertainment pursuits. Shannon Barnes won for ages 13 and under, while Patrick Stalter won for ages 14-21. Next were the first-ever Crazy Fest Outstanding awards. Matthew Brantner's drum solo display earned him the Outstanding Musician trophy. Maura Murphy was awarded the Outstanding Vocalist/female honors, while Patrick Stalter won Outstanding Vocalist/male. Cindy Piner won the Outstanding Dancer trophy, while Moses, McCaffrey & Lykens won Outstanding Variety Performer honors. Nick Finnochio's original song on piano and voice earned him the Crazy Fest Most Original Performance/male award, while Chelsea Moses' humorous and witty singing performance won her the Most Original Performance/female award. The next awards were the Fan Favorite Awards, as voted on by the Crazy Fest audience. Matthew Brantner won in the male division, while Harley Saltsgiver won in the female division. Harley also won the first ever Junior Miss Crazy Fest award, while Kirsten Lykens won the Miss Crazy Fest award.

Part of the production staff this afternoon at Crazy Fest, Richie and Jack Servello.

Dennie Huber presents Moses, McCaffrey and Lykens with some of their hardware.

This closed the book on this year's Crazy Fest. It was again a fun afternoon, that revealed some promising new performers who will hopefully continue to pursue their talents. Hats off again to all the volunteers, including the judges, Jack Servello and Rich Hilton for running sound, the Greenwood Volunteer Fire Company for hosting the event, and last but not least, Dennie Huber for his dedication to supporting area youth and encouraging them to reach for their dreams via events such as Crazy Fest. I'll be looking forward to Crazy Fest number 18 next year!

AGONY HILL @ PELLEGRINE’S, ALTOONA 4/29/07

After resting up from Crazy Fest, I finished out my weekend at Pellegrine's, where New York party rockers Agony Hill were providing the entertainment.

I arrived in time for the start of Agony Hill's second set. Singer Eric, guitarist Spam, bassist Joe and drummer Dickie kicked off with Bowling For Soup's "1985," and proceeded to draw folks onto Pellegrine's dance floor with their feisty brand of punk-fueled modern and classic rock favorites. The group fired through renditions of the Ramones' "I Wanna Be Sedated," Good Charlotte's "Little Things," the Buggles' "Video Killed the Radio Star," Modern English's "I Melt with You" and Tommy Tutone's "Jenny/867-5309." The group successfully fused together Pink Floyd's "Another Brick in the Wall" with Queen's "Another One Bites the Dust," before teasing Poison's "Unskinny Bop" to kick off "Talk Dirty to Me." Agony Hill then tapped the Man In Black lexicon before finishing the set with a Zombie double shot of White's "Thunder Kiss '65" and Rob's "Dragula."

Agony Hill was delivering the good time thus far. Eric was again his crazy self, singing and mixing in humor along the way, as well as interacting with the dance floor crowd to involve them in the party. The rest of the band kept the backdrop upbeat and moving, not giving folks any reason to want to sit down.

Agony Hill's final chapter this night included favorites from Buckcherry, The Cure, a Green Day medley, Van Halen, Nena, Linkin Park and Drowning Pool. When the Pelly's audience demanded an encore at night's end, the group responded with their rowdy spin on Katrina & the Waves' "Walking on Sunshine."

Another weekend successfully capped, and a good time had!

Eric Bleiler of Agony Hill.

Spam of Agony Hill.

Again, Eric Bleiler of Agony Hill.

Dickie of Agony Hill.

With an audience member onstage, Eric Bleiler of Agony Hill.

Angling to try to get her to lift her top, Eric Bleiler of Agony Hill.

Again, Spam of Agony Hill.

Did she lift her top? Eric Bleiler of Agony Hill looks happy for a reason...

Eric Bleiler of Agony Hill takes the party out onto Pelly’s dance floor.

Again, Dickie of Agony Hill.

JP's HAIKU

A weekend for kids
Get Closer and Crazy Fest
Promote youth talent

http://pamusician.net
 Back to top »
Jim Price

Post Posted: Friday Dec 18, 2009 

http://pamusician.net
 Back to top »
ROCKPAGE Forum Index » JP's Corner