· The Final Cut
CINCO DE MAYO WEEKEND RECAP 5/7/07
ROCKPAGE Forum Index » JP's Corner
previous topic :: next topic  
Jim Price

Post Posted: Saturday Jun 30, 2007 

CINCO DE MAYO WEEKEND RECAP 5/7/07

NOTHING SACRED @ ALDO’S, ALTOONA 5/3/07

It was the beginning of the month, and I had just received the new May Pennsylvania Musician magazines, so my Thursday evening was spent performing paper boy duties. After I finished up my Altoona deliveries after midnight, I headed to Aldo's, closing out the night by taking in Nothing Sacred's bi-weekly Thursday performance.

A decent-sized crowd was in place as I arrived, enough of a crowd that all of the tables were occupied and the only available seats were the barstools at the main bar. So I sat and enjoyed the remainder of Nothing Sacred's final set from the main bar, my attention shifting back and forth between the band and the NBA playoffs, as Golden State was eliminating Dallas (this was a bit unusual, I usually don't follow the NBA, but felt compelled to watch). On stage, the acoustic duo of Tim Mort and Tom Noel plus singer Cheeze did their unplugged mixture of popular favorites and punk. Among the songs they did this night included Rancid's "Ruby Soho," Social Distortion's "Ball and Chain," Johnny Cash's "Folsom Prison Blues" and Tom Petty's "American Girl."

It sounded good overall, and the mostly college-student populated Aldo's crowd seemed to enjoy it. And after an evening of delivering magazines, this was just the right way to unwind at the end of it all.

HALF-BAKED @ BURGI’S ROUNDHOUSE, ALTOONA 5/4/07

My game plan this Friday night was a doubleheader. I would head to State College for another show later on, but first, I decided to take in the duo Half Baked at Burgi's Roundhouse while enjoying supper.

Half Baked features two Bobs, Bob Onkst on vocals and acoustic guitar, and Bob Prosser on electric guitar. As I enjoyed my seafood dinner, I watched as Half Baked performed two sets that mixed plentiful classic rock favorites with a few modern rock and country tunes. Their song selection this night included tunes from the Rolling Stones, Grateful Dead, The Who, Green Day, Robert Johnson, Jimi Hendrix, George Jones, Van Morrison, Tom Petty, the Eagles, Eric Clapton, Bob Dylan, Willie Dixon and more. Some of the more interesting moments of their performance included their fusing together of the Allman Brothers' "Ramblin' Man" and Bob Dylan's "Tangled Up in Blue" during the first set, and some of their interesting blues selections such as Robert Johnson's "Sweet Home Chicago," Jesse Fuller's "San Francisco Bay Blues," Jimi Hendrix's "Redhouse" (with a guest named John singing lead) and more.

Half Baked was good overall; Bob Onkst did a good job on the vocal end, and both Bobs were together on their guitars and arrangements. Their presentation was unimposing and laid-back, making for good background music for a dinner setting without getting in anybody's faces. Burgi's wasn't crowded this evening, but at least a few folks cheered the duo on, and one couple got up and slow-danced when Half Baked did Eric Clapton's "Wonderful Tonight." In all, a good show.

Bob Prosser and Bob Onkst – Half Baked – making their first appearance at Burgi’s Roundhouse.

Again, Half Baked.

Bob Onkst of Half Baked.

Again, Bob Onkst of Half Baked.

Bob Prosser of Half Baked.

ASKING ANDY @ THE ARENA, STATE COLLEGE 5/4/07

The second half of my live music doubleheader this night was happening at The Arena in State College, where rising Harrisburg party force Asking Andy was performing.

I arrived during the intermission between Asking Andy's first and second sets. Although not packed, there was a good-sized crowd of folks in the house to partake in Asking Andy's party. I procured a table near the dance floor and waited to find out what this band was all about.

Five members strong, Asking Andy proceeded to turn a mid-sized Arena crowd into a festive frenzy with their spontaneous, high-energy show; jam-packed with current and classic rocking favorites. Singer Keith Hoppes, guitarists Brian Miller and Darrell Adams, bassist Patrick Riordan and drummer Luke Barnhart launched their second set with Harvey Danger's "Flagpole Sitta," and proceeded to generate the party with tunes from Bryan Adams, Rick Springfield, Green Day and Blur. After Blur's "Song 2," the inflatable sheep made their first appearance of the evening. Yes, inflatable sheep serve as unofficial members of this band, providing the catalysts for additional onstage craziness, this time an audience shot consumption contest. The party then continued with Green Day's "She," a high-powered take on Saigon Kick's "Love Is On the Way, Lit's "My Own Worst Enemy" and Steppenwolf's "Born to Be Wild," before another inflatable sheep stunt, this time involving a few female volunteers consuming Jose Cuervo tequila shots out of the inflatable sheep's butt. The group then fused Bowling For Soup's "1985" together with Def Leppard's "Pour Some Sugar on Me," followed by tunes from Green Day, the Romantics and James to close out the set.

It was a good party thus far. Asking Andy was upbeat and energetic, showing a knack for reacting to audience cues and adjusting their show to that audience. The group incorporated frequent audience requests along the way. And then there was the whole sheep thing; an effective gimmick that drew further involvement from the audience and brought them into the show.

Soon, Asking Andy's final set was under way, and again the group delivered a full-tilt good time with tunes from Buckcherry, Eve 6, Fuel, the Proclaimers, Ramones, Sublime, Garth Brooks, Fallout Boy, Jimmy Eats World, Georgia Satellites, and to close out the show, Rage's "Killing in the Name." Along the way, more inflatable sheep stunts, dancing ladies on stage and more. All together, it amounted to an exhaustive good time.

The only glitch this night was the sound, which became muddier and murkier as the night progressed. This band seems to be one good professional sound company away from starting to advance to the upper tier of regional party bands. The other necessary components seem to be in place; an outgoing, enthusiastic singer, solid instrumental performances, a high-octane pace and catchy set list. Asking Andy did well enough this night to earn future Arena appearances; keep an eye out for them, this is a party force on the rise.

Fun things to do with inflatable sheep, courtesy of Asking Andy.

Keith Hoppes, Patrick Riordan and Darrell Adams of Asking Andy.

Brandishing inflatable sheep, Keith Hoppes and Darrell Adams of Asking Andy.

Again, Keith Hoppes of Asking Andy.

Patrick Riordan of Asking Andy.

Brian Miller of Asking Andy.

Once again, Keith Hoppes of Asking Andy.

Brian, Darrell and Patrick of Asking Andy.

Again, the guitar tandem of Asking Andy, Brian Miller and Darrell Adams.

The party continues with Asking Andy.

Once again, Darrell Adams of Asking Andy.

Yet again, Darrell Adams of Asking Andy.

More dancers and inflatable sheep inhabit the dance floor and stage during Asking Andy’s party at The Arena.

It’s a party-hardy free-for-all with Asking Andy at The Arena.

One more time for your weekend party blowout needs, Asking Andy at The Arena.

The real star of Asking Andy’s show, the inflatable sheep.

THE HILLBILLY GYPSIES/MAMA CORN @ THE HEIDELBERG COUNTRY CLUB, ALTOONA 5/5/07

After their highly successful arrival in the Altoona area in late January, a sequel to the Hillbilly Gypsies first visit to the Heidelberg Country Club was imminent. The Heidelberg would be grassin' it up again this night, feateuring the Gypsies and new local bluegrass upstarts Mama Corn.

Anticipating a large crowd, I got to the Heidelberg early and procured a good table closer to the stage this time. I soon ordered up some wings from the kitchen, and got hunkered down for some good time bluegrassin.' As expected, the house quickly filled up, and by the time the show was set to begin, it was already a full house.

Mama Corn took the stage and warmed up that packed house with their brand of bluegrass. Singer/guitarist Bruce Foor, singer/banjo player Jeremy Nelson, dobro player/singer John Stevens, mandolin player Brad Floys and bassist Brett Fanelli played traditional bluegrass and folk numbers such as "Wagon Wheels," "Catfish John" and "Man of Constant Sorrow;" also Flatt & Scruggs' "Some Old Day," the Stanley Brothers' "How Mountain Girls Can Love," and the original song writeen by Jeremy's father Ben, "Shenandoah Mountaintops." Mama Corn sounded good, and played with spirit and enthusiasm. Their performance drew louder applause as they went, and the crowd demanded an encore at the end of their set, which the group responded to with Little Jimmy Dickens' "Cornbread and Buttermilk."

Opening the festivities at the Heidelberg, Mama Corn.

Again, Mama Corn.

Once again, Mama Corn.

After an intermission to change over gear, the Hillbilly Gypsies were ready to perform. Singer, guitarist and clawhammer banjo man Trae Buckner, singer Jamie Lynn Buckner, fiddle player Ty Jaquay, banjo and guitar player Dave Asti and bass fiddle and banjo player Jason Teel again congregated around one central microphone and opened their first of two sets with the title track from their forthcoming second CD, Come On In. The group then continued to do a mixture of traditional, modern and even gospel bluegrass, folk, old-timey country, their own original songs and more. The song selection this night was interesting as well, including such numbers as Jimmie Skinner's "Doin' My Time," Ernest Tubb/Jerry Irby's "Drivin' Nails in My Coffin," Flatt & Scruggs' "Shuckin' the Corn" and "Miss Me When I'm Gone," Hank Williams' "I'm So Lonely I Could Cry" and the Stanley Brothers' "Daniel Prayed;" also traditional numbers such as "Hot Corn, Cold Corn," "John Hardy," "Daniel Prayed" "Orange Blossom Special," "Muleskinner" and more. The Gypsies also did songs from their [pu]One Foot in the Gravy[/u] CD such as "Cluck Ol' Hen," "West Virginia My Home" and more. The group also threw in a bluegrass medley incorporating "Roll In My Sweet Baby's Arms," "Mountain Dew" and more.

It was again stunning viewing, watching the Hillbilly Gypsies as they delivered their traditional sounds with fast-firing musicianship and rapid fire execution; coordinating it all as they stepped in and away from the central microphone. These musical fireworks were often unreal, especially Ty's fast-breaking fiddle runs and Dave's and Trae's fast fingerwork on the banjos; how they don't break their fingers doing what they do is beyond me! Their vocals were all strong, especially Jamie Lynn when she belted on numbers like "Mama's Hand" from the CD; and the group harmonized very well - on top of the dazzling musicianship!

Again, the Hillbilly Gypsies proved they were an amazing band, and this was not lost on the Heidelberg audience, who roared for encores at the end of the night just like in January. The Gypsies responded with three songs, including "Crow Black Chicken" from their CD and Arlie Duff/Bill Monroe's "Y'all Come."

Again, at show's end, Hillbilly Gypsies T-shirts and CD's were flying off the merchandise table; as more new converts to this band were eager to take something home from the group. This was again a festive and fun show that once again offered proof of bluegrass' rising popularity in the Altoona area. Based again on this night, I get the feeling the Hillbilly Gypsies will be making more Altoona visits in the months and possibly years ahead!

The Hillbilly Gypsies’ hoedown gets under way.

Again, The Hillbilly Gypsies.

Ty Jaquay of the Hillbilly Gypsies.

Jamie Lynn Buckner displays some amazing voice during the Hillbilly Gypsies’ party.

Once again, the Hillbilly Gypsies.

The Heidelberg’s dance floor starts to get busy during the Hillbilly Gypsies’ performance.

Once again, the Hillbilly Gypsies.

Again, Jamie Lynn Buckner of the Hillbilly Gypsies.

Yet again, the Hillbilly Gypsies.

We can’t get enough of ‘em, the Hillbilly Gypsies.

It’s a full-blown hoedown with the Hillbilly Gypsies.

The dance floor craziness continues with the Hillbilly Gypsies.

Once again, good times with the Hillbilly Gypsies.

SMOKIN’ GUNNZ @ BURGI’S ROUNDHOUSE, ALTOONA 5/5/07

Much as I wanted to stick around the Heidelberg and chat with the Hillbilly Gypsies after their show ended, there was another band playing in town that I wanted to see, so I was quickly out the door and headed to Burgi's Roundhouse to catch my first glimpse of Harrisburg southern rockers Smokin' Gunnz.

With the Hillbilly Gypsies already in town this night, I was apprehensive about the crowd - or lack of it - that would be on hand to see Smokin' Gunnz' first Altoona performance. I was thus relieved when I pulled into the Burgi's lot and saw a good number of cars, and a decent-sized crowd inside to see the new band in town.

I arrived late in the Smokin' Gunnz' second set. In something not often seen on area stages, the drummer of this band is the lead singer, as Robert Morris belts out the voice while keeping the beats. Terry Sherry plays bass, Chris DellaPorta plays lead, rhythm and acoustic guitar, and Mike Brady plays lead and rhythm guitars. The group was doing something pretty un-Southern as I arrived, a rendition of Alice In Chains' "Man in the Box." The group then took it back down south to finish the set, ending with the Lynyrd Skynyrd double-shot of "Simple Man" and "Sweet Home Alabama." The latter was especially impressive, sung with excellent three-part harmonies on the choruses, and with the song building to a powerful and glorious ending.

Smokin' Gunnz kicked off the third set with the Allman Brothers' "One Way Out," and followed it with Gregg Allman's "I'm No Angel." The group did a ZZ Top deep cut, before returning to the Lynyrd Skynyrd catalog for "Gimme Three Steps," and one more song to finish out the night; an all-out, intense rendition of the ever-popular "Free Bird!" Like "Sweet Home Alabama" earlier, Smokin' Gunnz played this essential Skynyrd classic with all the fire and brimstone that Skynyrd themselves give the song in the live setting, with the song's homestretch run lifted high into the stratusphere. Several couples began slow-dancing during the song's slower beginning, but were dancing furiously as the song escalated in intensity to the finish.

Needless to say, I was very impressed with my first look at Smokin' Gunnz. These guys delivered as advertised; they played their southern rock with a fire and passion, and you could tell these guys' hearts were into this vein of rock. Instrumentally they were tight, and their voices and harmonies were strong as well. Their renditions of Lynyrd Skynyrd especially shined, as they lifted their Skynyrd material to passionate peaks.

The Burgi's crowd seemed to appreciate Smokin' Gunnz, and a good number of people stuck around until the end. Hopefully they will be back when this band returns to the Altoona area; I know I will!

Making their Altoona debut at Burgi’s, Harrisburg’s Smokin’ Gunnz.

Singing and playing drums for Smokin’ Gunnz, Robert Morris.

Taking it out onto Burgi’s dance floor, Terry Sherry of Smokin’ Gunnz.

Again, Harrisburg’s Smokin’ Gunnz, keeping Burgi’s dance floor busy.

Chris DellaPorta and Mike Brady of Smokin’ Gunnz.

Terry Sherry and Mike Brady of Smokin’ Gunnz.

Again, Terry Sherry of Smokin’ Gunnz.

Once again, Smokin’ Gunnz.

Again, Chris DellaPorta and Mike Brady of Smokin’ Gunnz.

Once again, Terry Sherry of Smokin’ Gunnz.

Yet again, Terry Sherry of Smokin’ Gunnz.

Smokin’ Gunnz, going to town on “Free Bird.”

Again, Terry Sherry and Mike Brady of Smokin’ Gunnz.

One more time with feeling, Harrisburg’s Smokin’ Gunnz. These guys deliver the show!

RISE PHOENIX RISE @ PELLEGRINE’S, ALTOONA 5/6/07

After finishing up “Backyard Rocker” duties this Sunday night, I finished out my weekend at Pellegrine’s, getting my second look at evolving regional party force Rise Phoenix Rise.

I arrived during the second intermission to find a smallish crowd at Pelly’s this night. Guv’nor Jesse’s DVD of the week was a rerun, the first Star Trek movie. I joined the front door audience to view the flick until the band returned to the stage, which was shortly.

The new project assembled by former Poptart Monkeys/Teacher’s Pet drummer Rob Hampton, Rise Phoenix Rise again demonstrated a lively stage show as they launched their third set with Billy Idol’s “Rebel Yell.” Lead singer Gibson, guitarists Chris Bishop and Jarrod Griffith, bassist Ronnie Williams and Rob behind the kit charged forth with high-powered renditions of favorites from Bryan Adams, Def Leppard, American Hi-Fi, Panic at the Disco, Jimmy Eats World, Offspring, Violent Femmes, Bloodhound Gang and more. Jarrod flexed his lead vocal muscles at one point, fronting the band on Rage’s “Killing in the Name;” and the group also incorporated a hip-hop medley into the mix that fused together House Of Pain’s “Jump Around,” Vanilla Ice’s “Ice Ice Baby,” Run DMC’s “It’s Tricky” and more.

As with the first time I saw them, Rise Phoenix Rise delivered ample amounts of energy on the stage, with lots of movement and excitement. Gibson was in constant motion, working all corners of the stage to fire up the Pelly’s dance floor participants, and demonstrating some good solid lead voice along the way. These guys liked to jump around and keep the action constant, not giving the dancers any reason to leave the floor.

Although not crowded, the consensus of audience members this night was that this band rocked, and they enjoyed the show. Hopefully they enjoyed it enough to spread the word, so that future Rise Phoenix Rise sojourns to this part of the world will be rewarded with more faces to experience them.

Ronnie Williams of Rise Phoenix Rise.

Rise Phoenix Rise triggers some dance floor action at Pellegrine’s.

Rob Hampton of Rise Phoenix Rise.

The party continues with Rise Phoenix Rise.

Gibson of Rise Phoenix Rise.

Again, it’s a party with Rise Phoenix Rise.

Jarrod Griffith of Rise Phoenix Rise.

Yours truly with Rise Phoenix Rise’s manager, Carla.

Rick Ramsey and Phil Wagner, in the house at Pelly’s!

JP’S HAIKU

Heidelberg sequel
Gypsies and Corn bluegrassin’
Footstompin’ great time!

http://pamusician.net
 Back to top »
Jim Price

Post Posted: Friday Dec 18, 2009 

http://pamusician.net
 Back to top »
ROCKPAGE Forum Index » JP's Corner
Page 1 of 1