· The Final Cut
WEEK/WEEKEND RECAP 5/14/07
ROCKPAGE Forum Index » JP's Corner
previous topic :: next topic  
Jim Price

Post Posted: Sunday Jul 08, 2007 

WEEK/WEEKEND RECAP 5/14/07

MATT WAGNER AT THE 4D’S LOUNGE, ALTOONA 5/8/07

With former Third Standard guitarist Joe Scott now working with him, I decided to check in with Matt Wagner during his weekly Tuesday night performance at the 4D's Lounge's upstairs Schnappes Shoppe.

I arrived late in the duo's second set, in time to hear them do Stroke 9's "Little Black Backpack" and a Dave Matthews number to close out the set. I was quickly impressed with what Joe brought to this show, as he displayed some tasty and jazzy guitar work

After a brief intermission, Matt and Joe returned to entertain the mid-sized Dees crowd with one more set. The pair blended a wide variety of songs; including renditions of Tom Petty's "American Girl," the Zombies' "Time of the Season," Third Eye Blind's "Semi-Charmed Life," Johnny Cash's "Folsom Prison Blues," a song from the Red Hot Chili Peppers and more. Once again, it sounded good, with Joe's guitar style and tone complementing Matt's voice and guitar work. The Dees crowd enjoyed it, with steady applause coming after each song.

As I sitnessed this night, Joe's addition to Matt Wagner's acoustic show works well. I'll be interested to see how this collaboration progresses, and to see if the two begin working on new original songs. Based on this night, the potential is there for some cool stuff to come about.

Matt Wagner and Joe Scott.

Matt Wagner.

Joe Scott.

Once again, Matt Wagner and Joe Scott.

BLUEGRASS JAM @ THE HITCHING POST, ALTOONA 5/9/07

This night, I took in John "Songsmith" Stevens' monthly Bluegrass Jam at the Hitching Post.

Attendance was on the light side this night, with a modest scattering of people about the Hitching Post complex to watch as five musicians on stage – John on dobro, Denny Cerully on acoustic guitar, Katie Cerully on upright bass, Brad Floyd on mandolin, and "Sav" Sankaran switching between banjo and upright bass – performed a mix of bluegrass, folk and old-timey sounds. Some of the selections called out and tackled this night included the ever-popular "Rocky Top," "Mountain Dew," "Man of Constant Sorrow," Bob Wills' Texas Playboys' "Take Me Back to Tulsa," Bill Monroe's "Wheel Hoss," "Sittin on Top of the World" and "Will the Circle Be Unbroken."

As with the last time I took in this bluegrass jam, as the session progressed, Sav's wide range of talents took more and more of the spotlight, in particular his singing skills. Sav sang lead on several songs, including "Blue Ridge Mountain Home," Bill Monroe's "Blue Moon of Kentucky," the traditional "When the Roses Bloom Again," and another traditonal number, "Working on a Building," where Sav held out an extended high note that brought the house to full attention. After one of the songs Sav sang, John commented "Where were you when I had a cold all winter?" The more I see Sav, the more I'm amazed at this guy's widespread talent!

It amounted to another fun night of bluegrassin' at the Hitching Post, and a fun and laid-back vibe to enjoy the Post's barbecue ribs to.

It’s again Bluegrass Jam Night at the Hitching Post!

John Stevens on the dobro.

Sav Sankaran on the upright bass. Again, Sav showed he is an all-around musical talent!

GRADE E @ AL’S TAVERN, ALTOONA 5/10/07

After finishing up a night at the workplace, I headed to Al's Tavern for the bi-weekly serving of funky grooves served up by Grade E.

It was a slow night at Al's this time around, with only a handful of folks in the band room to take in Grade E's performance. But the trio of singer/guitarist Chris Vipond, bassist/singer Mike Stanley and drummer Todd Harshbarger had a good time with the few folks who were present, doing original songs such as "Shine," "Pass Me By," "Wanted Souls" and "Lucy," along with an eclectic cover selection. Acknowledging the slow night, the group wrapped things up shortly after midnight and called it a night.

The music was good while it lasted, and the Al's Hooter with the fried egg wasn't bad, either!

BLUES MOON @ BAR BLEU, STATE COLLEGE 5/11/07

I had been wanting to check out Trace "Chicksinga" Moran's latest band project, Blues Moon, for a while, but the planets didn't align properly to allow me to do so until this night, when I did the roadtrip to State College to see the band in action at Bar Bleu.

This was also my first chance to catch a band performing at Bar Bleu. Housed in the downstairs beneath Beulah's, Bar Bleu lives up to the name, with the bar done up in almost total neon blue! After procuring my first brew, I headed into the neighboring band room, which had an atmosphere that reminded me some of Moondogs in Pittsburgh. It had that look and feel of a place where music should be played. And in a few minutes, music would be played when Blues Moon returned to action.

Blues Moon had a substitute player in the line-up this night, as Ronnie Lang was filling in on bass for Bill Brickley, who had another gig with another band this night. Ronnie, Trace, singer/harmonica man Chris Trasatti, guitarist Scott Bachman and drummer Andrew Jackson, Sr. started into their set, blending blues, blues-rock, classic rock favorites and more. After Chris sang lead on the opening number, it was Trace's turn to unleash the voice, doing so on Susan Tedeschi's "Rock Me Right," and continuing on renditions of Stevie Ray Vaughan's "Pride and Joy," Janis Joplin's "Me and Bobby McGee," the Doobie Brothers' "Long Train Runnin'" and Jimi Hendrix's "Redhouse." A guest drummer named Danny replaced Andrew behind the kit for Blues Moon's singalong rendition of "Mustang Sally." The set continued with feisty renditions of "Key to the Highway," a Chili Peppers-flavored take on Wild Cherry's "Play That Funky Music" and Willie Dixon/Foghat's "I Just Wanna Make Love to You." The group then did renditions of War's "Low Rider" and CCR's "Born on the Bayou," before closing out the night with a strong rendition of "Stormy Monday."

I was very impressed with my first look at Blues Moon. Even with the substitute bass player this night, this band was instrumentally strong, with Andrew's steady drumwork and Ronnie's funk-tinged bass work holding down the fort for Scott's clean and rowdy guitar work and Trace's powerful voice. Trace again displayed her power, range and spunk, taking each song by the horns and giving it a full ride, and putting a chokehold on the soul along the way. She fed off the energy of the audience, having fun with audience members and dancers. Blues Moon offered an electrified, upbeat performance; you could tell these folks were feeling it this night.

It was fun and boisterous blues rock that was well worth my roadtrip to Happy Valley to check out. I won't mind doing the trip to catch this band again, Blues Moon delivers the goods!

Blues Moon, getting rowdy at Bar Bleu.

Trace Moran of Blues Moon.

Again, Blues Moon.

Scott Bachman of Blues Moon.

Lining up for a post-gig photo, Blues Moon.

FOLK AND BLUEGRASS FESTIVAL @ RAILROADERS MEMORIAL MUSEUM, ALTOONA 5/12/07

With the warm weather season arriving, this would be one of those days I both love and dread; a day with lots of things going on, which was cool; but so many things that I had to pick and choose what events I would attend, and how long I could stay at those events.

On the docket originally for me this day was the first-ever Folk and Bluegrass Festival at the Railroaders Memorial Museum; a wedding and reception involving two Rockpagers; and in the evening, the reunion performance of the early 80's State College band Red Rose Cotillion at the Hitching Post, and Echo Chamber doing a Rock For The Troops show at City Limits. Fortunately for me (unfortunately for those wanting to see the reunion), the Red Rose Cotillion reunion show fell through. This made my evening decision a whole lot easier, and my game plan fell into place. Do the Folk and Bluegrass Festival until 4-ish, then shoot up the mountain to the Oriental Ballroom in Gallitzin for the wedding reception (after learning two days before that I would be announcing the arriving wedding party at the reception), and then head down to City Limits to help with the Rock For The Troops show and get my first look at Echo Chamber. Yes, it's a busy life, but somebody's gotta do it...

Anyway, I arrived at the Railroaders Memorial Museum just shy of 12 noon, and in time to witness the last couple of songs from the duo who put this shindig together, Oak and Ivy. With a little help from Mama Corn's Bruce Foor on guitar and vocals, Kathryn Bullington and Matt Harrison finished out their set of acoustic folk sounds.

Kathryn Bullington and Matt Harrison; Oak & Ivy.

Again, Oak & Ivy.

One more time, Oak & Ivy.

There weren't a whole lot of people present early, but there were some music fans and families taking in the show and browsing about the Railroaders Museum's yard looking at the various railroad items on display. There were also food vendors set up, including the Pies for Peace folks.

Soon the next performers, Mama Corn, were ready to go. The Corn broke out some more bluegrass, folk and old-timey sounds, this time including renditions of Flatt & Scruggs' "Some Old Day," traditional numbers such as "Here to Get My Baby Out of Jail," "Wagon Wheels," "Catfish John," "Man of Constant Sorrow" and more. The group again performed "Shenandoah Mountaintops," the original song penned by banjo man Jeremy Nelson's father, Ben. Late in the set, Oak & Ivy's Matt Harrison returned the earlier favor, and joined Mama Corn onstage to contribute a second mandolin on Flatt & Scruggs' "Dear Old Dixie."

Here's some footage of Mama Corn, doing a song written by Jeremy Nelson's father, Ben, called "Shenandoah Mountaintops:"

http://www.rockpage.net/users/jprice/video/MOV09639.MPG

Mama Corn gets their performance under way at the Folk and Bluegrass Festival.

Jeremy Nelson and Bruce Foor of Mama Corn.

Some little ones take in Mama Corn’s performance.

Grassin’ it up on the dobro, John Stevens of Mama Corn.

Again, Jeremy Nelson and Bruce Foor of Mama Corn.

Brad Floyd of Mama Corn.

Again, Mama Corn.

Mama Corn, playing on the Railroaders Museum’s big flatcar stage.

Again, Brad Floyd of Mama Corn.

One more time, Mama Corn.

It’s bubbles and bluegrass during the Folk and Bluegrass Festival at the Railroaders Museum.

John Stevens had to serve double-duty this day, because after playing dobro with Mama Corn, he remained onstage while the day's next band, Mt. City Grass, set up. The group had a substitute banjo player this day, as Jim Horne filled in for Dean Berkheimer. Mt. City Grass proceeded to perform their brand of traditional bluegrass, doing such selections as Buck Owens' "Excuse Me (I Think I've Got a Heartache)," "When You and I Were Young, Maggie," Flatt & Scruggs' "Will You Be Loving Another Man" and "Pick Me Up on Your Way Down." Midway through their set, Mt. City Grass welcomed a young guest, Denny and Kate Cerully's son, Carter, on stage to sing on renditions of "Two Dollar Bill" and "The Big Courtroom is Crowded."

A brief rain shower did not dampen the spirits of Mt. City Grass as they took the stage at the Folk and Bluegrass Festival.

Ed Decker and Denny Cerully of Mt. City Grass.

Mt. City Grass’ substitute banjo man this day, Jim Horne.

Mt. City Grass.

Kate Cerully of Mt. City Grass.

Ed Decker of Mt. City Grass.

Denny Cerully of Mt. City Grass.

Mt. City Grass, with young guest singer Carter Cerully.

Son and father; Carter and Denny Cerully.

Again, Carter and Denny Cerully.

Once again, Carter Cerully.

More folks steadily arrived, and although not a huge crowd, it was appearing that this first Folk and Bluegrass Festival was turning into a successful one.

Next on the stage was a solo performer, Raggedy Hobo. Although I've been aware of Raggedy Hobo on area stages over the past few years, this was my first chance to witness him myself. Raggedy Hobo performed a mix of folk, country and blues, singing and playing his acoustic guitar. With some young children dancing around him onstage, Raggedy Hobo performed a few traditional train songs, plus renditions of Neil Young's "The Needle and the Damage Done," George Jones' "Race Is On," "Railroad Blues," "Fishin' Blues" and more. Highlights during his set included two guests, as Matt Harrison joined in with a washtub bass during Hobo's rendition of the Allman Brother's "Ramblin' Man," and Sav Sankaran brought his upright bass onstage to play along during a New Riders of the Purple Sage number. Raggedy Hobo also did one of his own songs, "Love Bug."

Raggedy Hobo.

Again, Raggedy Hobo.

Raggedy Hobo, with Matt Harrison sitting in on washtub bass and some youngsters dancing along.

Matt Harrison on washtub bass.

Once again, Raggedy Hobo, Matt and some happy dancing youngsters.

With Sav Sankaran joining in on the upright bass, Raggedy Hobo.

Sav Sankaran.

After another brief intermission, the afternoon’s next performers took the stage. Local singer, songwriter and guitarist Brennon John and his sister, Breanne, performed a stunning set of acoustic folk and blues. Brennon sang and played guitar, while Breanne played fiddle and sang backing and harmony vocals. These two held the audience spellbound as their talents blended, especially on a remarkable rendition of “House of the Rising Sun,” with Breanne’s beautiful fiddle version of “Amazing Grace” providing the lead-in and conclusion of the song! Also very impressive was the pair’s duet rendition of the traditional “John the Revelator” and “On That Fall Day.” Brennon also sang a few of his original songs such as “Southbound Train,” and also did a great version of “Sixteen Tons.” This brother and sister shined, and were well appreciated by the Festival audience.

Brennon John.

Brennon John with sister Breanne on fiddle.

Again, Breanne and Brennon.

Breanne on fiddle.

Once again, Brennon John.

Once again, Breanne and Brennon.

One more time, Breanne and Brennon.

At this point, I had to depart the Folk and Bluegrass Festival to head to the wedding reception, and thus missed performances from Jean Roman, the King Cotton Rounders and the day-ending folk and blues jam. But based on what I did witness, this inaugural Folk and Bluegrass Festival was successful, and the early word is that it will become an annual event at the Railroaders Museum. Hats off to Kat, Matt and the Community Interest Group for putting this event together, and for bringing this type of event to the Altoona area; it is much needed!

DEATHMASTER & DEATH’S MISTRESS WEDDING RECEPTION @ ORIENTAL BALLROOM, GALLITZIN 5/12/07

Next was the wedding reception for Rockpage newlyweds DMFJ03 and Esa (Beyond Reason bassman Jamie and Lisa [Myers] Smith respectively), being held at the Oriental Ballroom in Gallitzin.

Up until two days before the wedding, I thought I’d be attending as a casual bystander there to enjoy the food and festivities. But when the person who was to announce the arrival of the wedding procession at the reception bailed at the last minute, the bride-to-be enlisted the services of this announcing professional (?) to do the honors. However, this was the first time I had ever done announcing at a wedding before, so I was a bit nervous as I arrived at the Oriental Ballroom, decked in a shirt and tie no less! (A rare occurrence; did anybody get photos?) Although Lisa had gone over the correct pronunciations of everyone’s last name with me, I still was apprehensive that I might screw something up.

A large crowd of well-wishers was in attendance at the spacious Oriental Ballroom as the wedding party arrived. I followed the cues given me by the deejay in charge, and announced the party as they entered. I only misfired on one name – Amplified Heet frontman Jules “Slothkill” BYE-en-kin-nee…Sorry Jules…BWAAAAAHahahahahahahaaaaaa!!!!!

My announcing duties completed, I could now kick back and enjoy the fun. It was a medieval wedding, so the wedding party was done up in medieval-type duds, with the men looking almost like Jedi warriors from Star Wars I: The Phantom Menace; Jules kinda resembled Qui-Gon Jinn, I asked him where his light saber was! The food spread was excellent, with chicken, rigatoni, veggies, and other quality edibles. The bar was open. Life was good!

After the meal, the musical entertainment began, courtesy of The Rattlers and Beyond Reason. I wasn’t carrying a notepad or a camera, so I didn’t take notes on songs performed (it was a wedding reception, so I was officially “off duty”). The Rattlers did vintage rock and roll of the 60’s and 70’s, while Beyond Reason did classic rock spanning the 70’s through 90’s. The two groups alternated sets, and both sounded in good form. The highlight for me was seeing the groom cut loose and thrash away on bass, his hair mop vigorously flying back and forth atop the large Oriental Ballroom stage!

Along the way, per wedding tradition, were some of the ritualistic things that typically happen at these types of the events, such as the cutting of the wedding cake, the garter toss, the first dance, the bride and father dance (with Rick Wertz performing a number on acoustic guitar!), etc. I have found in my limited wedding reception experience that each one of these does its traditions a little bit differently. Most interesting to me was the money dance; well-wishers paid their dollar, did a jello shot and then danced with the bride. After dancing with the bride, these folks formed a circle around the bride, and at the end of the dance, the groom had to penetrate the circle to get to the bride. I thought the Deathmaster’s convincingly medieval approach, with his Beyond Reason bandmates picking him up and using him as a battering ram, was clever and effective.

In all, this was a grand and glorious time, and lots of fun! Best of luck to the newlyweds in their new life together, and thanks for inviting me to be a part of this special day!

(Note: I borrowed these following pictures from Esa’s Myspace site; I didn’t take them.)

The new couple during their first dance.

No cake-smashing fracas for these newlyweds, just some icing on the nose.

The Deathmaster searches for and finds what he is looking for.

Yours truly, enjoying the festivities. Note that the tie has long since disappeared (it felt like a noose). And obviously the photographer had the camera set on the “fat” setting; then again, I was wearing a tight shirt and had just finished eating when this shot was taken!

ECHO CHAMBER @ CITY LIMITS, ALTOONA 5/12/07

From the celebration of the freshly married Mr. and Mrs. Deathmaster, I headed back down the hill to the ‘Toona to finish out my day-long marathon at City Limits, where I would catch my first look at Echo Chamber and help out with the Rock For The Troops effort.

I entered City Limits just in time to catch the last song of Echo Chamber’s first set, the Beastie Boys’ “Fight For Your Right (to Party).” Although this was Echo Chamber’s first City Limits performance, there was a healthy mid-sized crowd in the house to party down.

After the first intermission, Echo Chamber kicked into their second set with Nirvana’s “In Bloom.” Singer Ken Gray, lead guitarist Ricky McPhearson, rhythm guitarist Brian Banks, bassist Mitch Rockman and drummer Tim Layton proceeded to blend hard-rocking current, classic rock favorites and a few original tunes. The group did one of their own tunes, “Poison,” and continued with the Rolling Stones’ “Paint It Black” and Cream’s “White Room.” A few folks began to populate the dance floor as Echo Chamber did Pink Floyd’s “Another Brick in the Wall,” Creed’s “Higher,” and Godsmack’s “Keep Away;” and the party picked up as the group built steam with tunes from Nickelback, Velvet Revolver, Nirvana and more, eventually finishing the set with Seether’s “Remedy.”

Echo Chamber seemed to build confidence and steam as they went. I detected a few glitches early in the set, but the group sounded better as they went along and the crowd got more into it.

The Rock For The Troops cameras were busy, collecting footage of the performance and supportive wishes for our troops in Iraq and Afghanistan.

Eventually, Echo Chamber was ready for the nightcap set, and resumed the music with Drowning Pool’s “Bodies.” After another song, the group welcomed off-duty Hair Force One frontman Victor Synn up to the stage to front the group on Guns N’Roses’ “Sweet Child O’Mine.” The party continued with Ozzy’s “Crazy Train,” Pat Benatar’s “Hit Me with Your Best Shot,” Quiet Riot’s “Metal Health (Bang Your Head),” more original tunes, Michael Jackson’s “Beat It,” and the Metallica spin on “Whiskey in the Jar” to close out the set. But not so fast, the City Limits populace instantly demanded more, and Echo Chamber responsed with a five-song encore, performing Metallica’s “Wherever I May Roam,” AC/DC’s “Highway to Hell,” Danzig’s “Mother,” Patti Smith’s “Because the Night” and finally, the Red Hot Chili Peppers’ “Other Side” to close the night.

By night’s end, I thought that Echo Chamber was doing a good job, generating a steady, hard-rocking party that kept the City Limits audience interested and dancing. This band seems to be on their way, and more onstage experience should tighten and improve them further. Their first City Limits performance was a successful one.

Ken Gray of Echo Chamber takes the party out on the dance floor for the Rock For The Troops cameras.

Again, Ken Gray of Echo Chamber.

Ricky McPhearson of Echo Chamber.

Echo Chamber rocks the house at City Limits.

Hair Force One’s Victor Synn sings lead during Echo Chamber’s performance, as Rock For The Troops captures the footage.

Again, guest Victor Synn.

Once again, Victor Synn and Echo Chamber rocking the house.

Again, Victor Synn with Echo Chamber.

Dance action is hot and heavy on and off the stage with Echo Chamber.

Again, Ken Gray of Echo Chamber.

Tim Layton of Echo Chamber.

Ricky McPhearson, Mitch Rockman and Ken Gray of Echo Chamber.

Brian Banks of Echo Chamber.

Echo Chamber and a busy dance floor.

Once again, Echo Chamber.

The dance floor is busy during Echo Chamber’s third set.

Donna and Guv’nor Jesse keep a vigil at the Rock For The Troops donation drum.

A surreal sight not often seen; Brian Mitchell in a suit and tie, hulking out.

Yours truly and Brian; I think he was sent to City Limits by ‘the family’ to rub someone out.

FELIX & THE HURRICANES @ THE HITCHING POST, ALTOONA 5/13/07

I headed to the Hitching Post this Sunday night, to close out the weekend with some good-time Hurricaning.

Felix, Jeff and Bob were in the midst of their second set as I arrived, and a healthy contingent of Hurricaniacs and Hitching Post regulars were on hand to take in the rowdy blues-rocking. The group was mixing it up as usual, doing original songs such as “Slug in a Puddle” and “Little Ears,” plus new original tunes like “Hurtin’ People;” plus renditions of Dire Straits’ “Sultans of Swing,” Pat Travers’ “Snortin’ Whisky,” and Kenny Wayne Shepherd’s “Blue on Black” to close the set. Also along the way, as the group did Brooks & Dunn’s “Neon Moon,” Hurricaniac wildman Ed set up a chair on the dance floor in front of the band for retired Hitching Post kitchen lady Stephanie to enjoy her favorite tune.

The mood was festive at the Post, with folks cheering on the ‘Canes as they went. The musicianship was amazing as always, and the Hurricanes read the vibe of the crowd and tailor-made their song selection to please the people who were there.

Soon the group returned for their last set, commencing with ZZ Top’s “I Thank You.” After the original ‘Canes number “Just a Fool,” the group returned to the ZZ Top catalog for “Just Got Paid,” and stayed Southern for Stevie Ray Vaughan’s “Look at Little Sister” and the Outlaws’ “Green Grass and High Tides,” before finishing out the night and weekend with the Grateful Dead’s “Alabama Getaway.”

No big surprises this night; just another strong round of Sunday Hurricaning at the Post to slam the lid on another weekend, ‘nuff said!

JP’S HAIKU

Jamie, Lisa wed
Deathmaster wedding party
Jedi master Jules

http://pamusician.net
 Back to top »
Jim Price

Post Posted: Friday Dec 18, 2009 

http://pamusician.net
 Back to top »
ROCKPAGE Forum Index » JP's Corner
Page 1 of 1