· The Forums
· The Final Cut
WEEK/WEEKEND RECAP 7/30/07
ROCKPAGE Forum Index » JP's Corner
previous topic :: next topic  
Jim Price

Post Posted: Thursday Dec 20, 2007 

WEEK/WEEKEND RECAP 7/30/07

PORK McELHINNY & THE FENDER BENDERS/VELVEETA @ RAILROADERS MEMORIAL MUSEUM, ALTOONA 7/25/07

This night was the second installment of the Alive @ Five Summer Concert Series at Altoona's Railroaders Memorial Museum. This night featured the pairing of Pork McElhinny and Velveeta.

I wasn't sure how this show would do, given that a scant few folks outside of myself have ever heard of Brookville-turned-Nashville musician George "Pork" McElhinny, and how many Velveeta fans would pay the $20 ticket price to see Velveeta here when they could see them regularly at the 4D's Lounge or in State College for far less. But as I arrived, a nice-sized crowd was already present, as Pork's performance was under way.

Thanks to soundman Phil "Hannibal" Reigh for taking down notes on Pork's set list until I could get there. Pork and his Fender Benders opened with Jimmy Rodgers' "T for Texas," did an original song, "Long Way to the Top," the Allman Brothers' "Midnight Rider," and the funky triple-play medley of Wilson Pickett's "Mustang Sally," Aretha Franklin's "Chain of Fools" and Al Green's "Take Me to the River." Pork, Dave Hawk on bass and Dave Foote on drums continued with "The Sky is Crying," ZZ Top's "Waiting for the Bus/Jesus Just Left Chicago" and Johnny Cash's "Folsom Prison Blues," which led into a fiery and fabulous rendition of "Hot Rod Lincoln." Pork then introduced another of his own songs, "Hardwood Floor," followed by a J.J. Cale double-shot, "Call Me the Breeze" and "After Midnight." After Stevie Ray Vaughan's "Pride and Joy," bassist Dave took the spotlight to croon lead on the bluesy "Can't Get Next to You," before a country-flavored number (I believe called "Why Me"). Pork and the Fender Benders returned to rocking with Jimi Hendrix's "Voodoo Chile," which segued into Wild Cherry's "Play That Funky Music" and Stevie Wonder's "Superstition." They then closed out their portion of the show with another original song, "My Boots." Although few in the audience probably had ever heard of Pork McElhinny before this night, I'm sure a number of those present will remember his name now, as he and the Fender Benders delivered a smoking set! Pork demonstrated a strong, rangeful and soulful voice, and dazzled with his guitar solo work to boot. Both Daves executed their rhythms tightly and powerfully, and together this power trio executed with poise and confidence. Since he is now living in Nashville, Pork's performances in these parts are few and far between, so I was glad I was able to arrive early and catch his excellent set this night.

Dave Hawk and Pork McElhinny.

Dave Foote, Dave Hawk and Pork McElhinny.

Pork McElhinny.

Again, the two Dave’s and Pork McElhinny.

Again, Dave Hawk and Pork McElhinny.

Again, Pork McElhinny.

Once again, Pork McElhinny.

Once again, Dave and Pork.

More with Dave Hawk and Pork McElhinny.

From a distance, Pork McElhinny and the Fender Benders.

One more time, Dave Hawk and Pork McElhinny.

I noticed some dark clouds start to roll into the area as the sun was setting, and as Velveeta's set got underway, a light drizzle commenced. Fortunately, this never developed into a steady rain, but just spit drizzle off and on, just enough of a nuisance that some folks packed up their chairs and headed out as Velveeta's performance continued. As expected, Velveeta brought the 80's, performing two sets of favorites from that decade such as Bon Jovi, Joan Jett, Dexy's Midnight Runners, John Mellencamp, Proclaimers, Bryan Adams, Soft Cell, Duran Duran, B-52's, Aha, Prince and others. Singer/guitarists Brian Kriley and Mike Lee, singer/keyboardist Brent Martin, bassist/singer Steve Bentz and drummer John Harper also threw in the occasional 70's number like The Knack's "My Sharona" or The Cars' "Just What I Needed," and also did one more recent number, The Darkness' "I Believe in a Thing Called Love." Although they didn't trigger the type of mass dance action that their bar gigs usually do, Velveeta still kept the spirit festive and good-natured, and at least a few folks cut the rug.err, lawn.along the way.

Again, it was good to see at least some crowd for this edition of Alive @ Five. It showed that Altoona was grasping this new summertime event, and the night bode well for the likelihood of a large crowd for the next installment two weeks later, when Donnie Iris and Joe Grushecky & the Houserockers visit the Railroaders Museum!

Velveeta kicks off their performance at the Railroaders Museum.

Again, Velveeta.

Darkness descends as Velveeta continues to bring the party.

Brian Kriley of Velveeta.

Mike Lee of Velveeta.

Brent Martin of Velveeta.

Once again, Velveeta.

The drizzle isn’t dampening this fan’s good time as Velveeta performs!

BODY & SOUL @ TUSSEY WING CHALLENGE, TUSSEY MOUNTAIN SKI RESORT near BOALSBURG 7/26/07

With the beer issue at Lakemont Park's Wing-Off still not resolved, I decided to head to Tussey Mountain Ski Resort this night for the Tussey Wing Challenge, and finally get to catch a full show from Happy Valley favorites Body & Soul. As I departed Altoona, I was aware that stormy weather was approaching from the west; I was hoping it would sidestep the Wing Challenge. I headed to State College, met up and carpooled with Sparky D'Engineer to take in Happy Valley's version of the wing-off.

Despite the fact that this wing event has a cover charge at the gate ($5 per person, but you get a free drink coupon redeemable for a soda or beer, so it's more like a $3 cover), I like the Tussey Wing Challenge better than the Wing-Off, save for the hour-long drive from Altoona to get there. First, Tussey's is still a wing competition between restaurants and taverns, so each offers up a bigger variety of wing flavors and pulls all the stops to serve customers to sway votes. Second, the wings are cheaper than Lakemont; even though the price went up slightly this year, to 3 wings for a buck instead of 4 wings, it's still cheaper than Lakemont's 6 wings for a 3 buck token! Plus, being able to purchase the wings in smaller increments allows you to sample more varieties. Third, shorter lines (well, shorter if Lakemont is serving beer; Lakemont's lines are way shorter if they aren't selling beer, 'cuz nobody is there!). And fourth, at least for this week, Tussey was selling beer, and Lakemont was not!

We arrived, made our first wing run and set up shop with our folding chairs in the lawn up the hill from the stage, where Body & Soul was under way. I procured my first wings from Prospector's Rib Co., where I tried to hickory mountain barbecue (excellent, to die for!) and the spicy garlic (passable). Body & Soul; lead singer Chrissie Miller, guitarist Al "Guitarman" Miller, keyboardist/singer John "JT Blues" Thompson, bassist Rene Witzke and drummer Mike Hohnka; were in the midst of Cheap Trick's "I Want You to Want Me" as we sat down. Rene then sang lead on Three Doors Down's "Kryptonite," before "JT" stepped up front to sing lead on Ozzy's "Crazy Train." Lead mic duties then returned to Chrissie, who sang Kelly Clarkson's "Since You've Been Gone." Chrissie continued to lead the group on a Martina McBride number, Blondie's "One Way or Another" into No Doubt's "Just a Girl," and Gretchen Wilson's "Redneck Woman" to close the set.

Intermission allowed us to finish up our first round of wings, and go procure more. This time, I went to Bonfatto's Restaurant's stand, and obtained the Hawaiian Barbecue (average), the raspberry habanero (good), and apple peppercorn (excellent and unique) wings.

Body & Soul returned shortly to commence their last set. They started this set as they had finished the previous one, with another Gretchen Wilson number, "Here for the Party." JT then stepped forward to sing Jet's "Are You Gonna Be My Girl," before Chrissie - tossing candies to the young children frolicking in front of the stage - sang lead on Pat Benatar's "Heartbreaker." She continued with the Heart double-shot of "Magic Man" into "Barracuda," followed by the pairing of Journey's "Don't Stop Believin'" and Joan Jett's "I Love Rock & Roll." JT came forth to belt out one more this night, howling lead on AC/DC's "Back in Black." Chrissie fronted the group the rest of the way, on renditions of Melissa Etheridge's "I'm the Only One," Gloria Gaynor's "I Will Survive," Janis Joplin's "Me and Bobby McGee" and Led Zeppelin's "Rock and Roll" to close out the night.

In the meantime, I did one more round of wings, this time taking in Quaker Steak & Lube's "Louisiana Likker" and "Arizona Ranch" wings.I've enjoyed the Louisiana Likker wings before from Quaker Steak & Lube, but concluded that these wings tasted better in their restaurant than here at the Wing Challenge. But apparently the Wing Challenge crowd did not necessarily agree, as when the dust settled, Quaker Steak had won this round of the Challenge.

Back to the band.Body & Soul delivered the good time. These folks are clearly talented on their instruments, and Chrissie has a bold and powerful voice that takes charge from the get-go. Their song list was varied and fun, and their enthusiasm was infectious, as they purveyed a happy vibe from the start, and kept the crowd in front of the stage festive throughout the evening. It was easy to realize why this band has been favorites on Centre region stages; they deliver good sounds and a fun time.

Although dark clouds threatened the Wing Challenge and lightning could be seen in the distance, no storms or rain surfaced during the course of the event. I encountered wet roads on the way back, so areas between State College and Warriors Mark saw some storminess, but the Wing Challenge remained dry.that is, dry from rain, not dry from lack of beer, not unlike its unlucky counterpart from 40 miles to the south and west.

John “JT” Thompson belts out lead voice as Body & Soul entertains the wing-eaters at the Tussey Wing Challenge.

Again, “JT” and Body & Soul.

John “JT” Thompson.

Rene Witzke of Body & Soul.

Al “Guitarman” Miller of Body & Soul.

Mike Hohnka of Body & Soul.

Chrissie Miller of Body & Soul.

Again, Chrissie Miller of Body & Soul, belting out the voice.

After darkness arrives, Al and Chrissie Miller of Body & Soul continue the party.

Again, Chrissie Miller.

Again, Al Miller of Body & Soul.

More Body & Soul.

Once again, Chrissie Miller of Body & Soul.

Yet again, Chrissie Miller of Body & Soul.

Again, Al and Chrissie Miller of Body & Soul.

Behind the keys, John “JT” Thompson of Body & Soul.

One more time, Body & Soul.

SOUTH SATURN DELTA @ CURTIN PLAZA, ALTOONA 7/27/07

So far this summer, I had not had the chance to take in the Blair County Arts Foundations' "Summer Sounds of Jazz" concert series at the Curtin Mall in downtown Altoona. This night, I would remedy this situation, and check out a band I had not yet witnessed, South Saturn Delta.

I was blown away by just how big this event has become, evidenced by the lack of parking! It took me five minutes to hunt down a parking space, and another five to walk up to the Curtin Mall from the spot where I eventually found an opening for my car. Definitely Altoona had discovered this event!

I arrived late into South Saturn Delta's second set. The group was doing blues rock, performing renditions of the ever-popular "Mustang Sally" and the Santana double-shot of "Black Magic Woman" and ""Oye Como Va" to end their set. I used the intermission to work my way back to the beer concession, touch base and shoot the breeze with Big Jimi Cee, and take care of my supper needs at the Clem's Ribs concession.

Based in the Philadelphia/south New Jersey area, South Saturn Delta features singer/percussionist April Iorio, guitarist/singer Dave Fecca, bassist Jerry Mayall, keyboardist John Tiberi, and drummer Mike Newmiller. These guys and gal launched into their nightcap set with an original song, "What's the Big Idea." April then sang lead on "Iko Iko," also banging on the bongos along the way. Guitarist Dave then took over singing duties, as he introduced a New Orleans number called "Special of the Day." A special guest then joined the group; April's mother, Silva, who herself demonstrated an incredible voice on "God Bless the Child." The group then did a feisty blues number called "April," followed by another original song, and Silva returning to the stage to again show her excellent voice on a gospel-flavored rendition of "Stormy Monday," which segued into "The Blues Is All Right" to close out the show.

These guys and gals were quite talented, both vocally and instrumentally. Both April and her mother showed good voices, and guitarist Dave sounded good when he fronted the group, plus displayed some excellent and stylish guitar work along the way. This group mixed up the styles and rhythms along the way, smoothly blending traditional and swamp blues, funk, R&B and even Caribbean flavors into a colorful presentation. Their mood was fun and relaxed, and they maintained a friendly connection with the mixed-ages crowd.

The music was good, the Clem's Ribs were good, and the huge audience was especially good, making this a fun and successful evening. It was good to see Altoona embracing this concert series as well, and giving South Saturn Delta a warm welcome to the area.

South Saturn Delta kicks off their nightcap set at the Curtin Plaza.

April Iorio of South Saturn Delta.

Again, April Iorio of South Saturn Delta.

Again, South Saturn Delta.

Dave Fecca of South Saturn Delta.

Once again, South Saturn Delta.

More South Saturn Delta.

A couple dances as South Saturn Delta continues their performance.

Yet again, South Saturn Delta.

Again, Dave Fecca of South Saturn Delta.

Jerry Mayall of South Saturn Delta.

With April’s mother, Silva, singing lead, South Saturn Delta.

Again, guest singer Silva with South Saturn Delta.

RYAN MATTHEW @ U.S. HOTEL, HOLLIDAYSBURG 7/27/07

It doesn't happen often, but every once in a while a band or artist surfaces on area stages that it takes me forever to get to see. For whatever reason, the planets do not align correctly, and I can't seem to catch that certain band or artist when they perform around the area, even though I am very well aware of their name and see their name on marquees and performance schedules. For the longest time, popular local acoustic soloist Ryan Matthew was one such performer. I had seen a brief set from him a few years ago, when he performed during intermission at one of the Lakemont Park Wing-Off's. But I could never find a night when he was playing about the area that I didn't have something already planned or was committed to seeing somebody else. This night, though, the planets finally aligned properly, and after South Saturn Delta concluded their performance, I was off to the U.S. Hotel in Hollidaysburg to finally take in a longer performance from one Ryan Matthew.

The U.S. Hotel had a good-sized crowd as I arrived during the first of Ryan's two sets. I was able to find an open stool along the bar, and took up position as Ryan was leading the crowd on a singalong version of Billy Joel's "Piano Man. Ryan kept the crowd interested with a fast-firing mixture of favorites, including Rusted Root's "Send Me on My Way," Joe Nichols' "Tequila Makes Her Clothes Fall Off," Better Than Ezra's "Good," Violent Femmes' "Blister in the Sun," Sister Hazel's "All for You" and more. Along the way, Ryan would ask music and television questions, giving away T-shirts and other beer-related swag for correct answers.

After an eleven-minute intermission, Ryan was back to entertain the happy crowd some more. Opening with Kid Rock & Sheryl Crow's "Picture," Ryan mixed it up some more with tunes from Kenny Chesney, John Mellencamp, Toby Keith, Tom Petty, John Prine, U2, Hootie & the Blowfish and more. Ryan also threw in a few surprises along the way, including a rendition of Elton John's "Your Song," a Paula Abdul number, and an original song, "Losin' Track of Time." Again, Ryan kept the crowd attentive with occasional trivia questions, and encouraged singalongs during several numbers.

I thought Ryan did a good job this night. His voice was in decent form, as he displayed a rugged and gritty singing style that fit his selection of material well. He kept the show moving, with little down time between songs. He was crowd-friendly, and kept the audience interested and involved during the whole show. This night showed me why Ryan is a busy name on area acoustic stages, as he showed his talents both as a musician and an entertainer.

Ryan Matthew, entertaining at the U.S. Hotel.

Again, Ryan Matthew.

This happy crew wanted their picture taken in front of Ryan Matthew. No problem!

Once again, Ryan Matthew.

RISE PHOENIX RISE @ 4D'S LOUNGE, ALTOONA 7/27/07

I wasn't done yet this night. With Ryan Matthew's performance wrapping up at midnight, I had ample time left to catch another show somewhere else in the area. I first drove to Aldo's in hopes of catching my first look at Chiara Grey, but learned upon my arrival that they had to pull out of their appearance. So I instead headed to the 4D's Lounge to catch the remainder of Rise Phoenix Rise's performance. I had seen this band at Pellegrine's; would the Dees crowd be into them?

As I arrived towards the end of their second set, the answer that immediately became apparent was 'yes,' as a good-sized crowd was in front of the stage and festively rocking as Rise Phoenix Rise closed out their set with Guns'n'Roses' "Sweet Child of Mine."

After an intermission, the combo of singer Gibson, guitarists Chris Bishop and Jarrod Griffith, bassist Ronnie Williams and drummer Rob Hampton returned to party down, opening with the All-American Rejects' "Dirty Little Secret," before launching into a late 70's/early 80's medley comprised of tunes from Soft Cell, the Knack, Devo, Outfield, Cars, Duran Duran, Billy Idol and Def Leppard. With Spice Party catalogs being passed among the band and the room (several female reps were in the audience), the party continued with the fusion of the Black Crowes' "Hard to Handle" into Buckcherry's "Crazy Bitch," followed by more favorites from Violent Femmes, House Of Pain, Vanilla Ice, Run D.M.C. and more.

At least from what I witnessed here, Rise Phoenix Rise's party is quickly catching on with Altoona area audiences. The 4D's crowd was into this band the whole time I was there, and the group responded with an exciting, action-packed party that demonstrated plenty of onstage music and tight execution, with nary a crack between songs. With Til December announcing their retirement from live performing in September, Rise Phoenix Rise showed here that they might be in prime position to help fill that gap on area stages.

Rise Phoenix Rise fills the dance floor at the 4D’s.

Again, Rise Phoenix Rise.

Ronnie Williams of Rise Phoenix Rise.

Jarrod, Gibson and Chris of Rise Phoenix Rise.

The party continues with Rise Phoenix Rise.

A view of the dance floor with Rise Phoenix Rise.

Jarrod Griffith and Gibson of Rise Phoenix Rise.

Gibson of Rise Phoenix Rise.

Jarrod Griffith of Rise Phoenix Rise.

Again, Ronnie Williams of Rise Phoenix Rise.

Rob Hampton of Rise Phoenix Rise.

One more time, Rise Phoenix Rise and a crowded 4D’s dance floor.

These folks are obviously having a good time enjoying Rise Phoenix Rise!

KEE KEE ANDERSON @ VICTORY LANE SALOON, ALTOONA 7/28/07

This Saturday night in the Altoona area presented a slate of "been there, done that" options for me, as just about everybody on stage this night I had just recently seen or written about - except for one band, new blues foursome Kee Kee Anderson, making their Altoona debut at the Victory Lane Saloon.

Kee Kee Anderson - comprised of western Maryland blues singer Mary Crosten, Clarion guitar wizard Dave Buzard, State College bassist Dave Brown and Altoona drumming vet Mark Panek - were just under way into their second set as I arrived. Kee Kee Anderson proceeded to entertain the small audience with classic rock and blues favorites, with some interesting surprises thrown in along the way. The group was doing Stevie Ray Vaughan's "House is a Rockin'" when I entered the room, and continued with Rare Earth's "Celebrate," which veered into Stevie Nicks' "Edge of Seventeen." The group then did Talking Heads' "Burning Down the House" and revisited the Stevie Ray catalog for "Tightrope," before Mary demonstrated her solo vocal skills on Janis Joplin's "Mercedes Benz." Mary and the group then broke into a version of the Pretenders' "My City Was Gone;" dittos to Kee Kee Anderson, it was a good version! Next was Stealer's Wheel's "Stuck in the Middle with You" and Eric Clapton/Bo Diddley's "Before You Accuse Me," before another surprise, a rendition of Roy Head's "Treat Her Right!" Back to the Pretenders' catalog for "Message of Love," before Kee Kee Anderson sent the show to intermission with Al Green's "Take Me to the River."

After a short ten-minute break, Kee Kee Anderson returned to play a few more. The group resumed the music with Tracy Chapman's "Give Me One Reason," and followed with a Lisa Marie Presley tune and an original number, I believe called "One More Day." Then was a rendition of the Black Crowes' "Remedy," followed by Floyd Dixon's "Hey Bartender," Van Morrison's "Wild Night," and a Gary Moore number to close out the night.

Despite the lack of audience, Kee Kee Anderson put on a strong performance. I was impressed with Mary's talents; I knew she was heralded as one of the top blues singers in western Maryland, but was equally impressed with her versatility and ability to take on material from Chryssie Hynde and Stevie Nicks. It was also my first time seeing Dave in action since the Ask A Stranger days in the early 90's; this man still brings it on the guitar, showing technical ability and wailing out some soulful lead solo work! Mark again demonstrated his ample skill behind the kit, keeping the beats busy but not overdoing it; and Dave Brown kept the low end steady and strong to provide the foundation and glue for the whole sound.

It was a good performance, and introduced Kee Kee Anderson as a name that could grow a following in this town after some more folks are exposed to them.

Kee Kee Anderson, making their first Victory Lane Saloon appearance.

Mary Crosten of Kee Kee Anderson.

Again, Kee Kee Anderson.

Dave Buzard of Kee Kee Anderson.

Once again, Kee Kee Anderson.

Again, Mary Crosten of Kee Kee Anderson.

Dave Brown of Kee Kee Anderson.

More Kee Kee Anderson.

Mark Panek of Kee Kee Anderson.

Again, Dave B. of Kee Kee Anderson, making their first Victory Lane Saloon appearance.

One more time, Kee Kee Anderson.

SCHUYLKILL COUNTY FAIR 7/29/07

As the old saying goes, some days you get the bear, and other days the bear gets you.

I had this date marked on the calendar for at least two months. On a Sunday when my "Backyard Rocker" program was prerecorded, the game plan had me driving across state to the Schuylkill County Fair near Pottsville (home of Yeungling beer) to catch my friend and Pennsylvania Musician Magazine co-writer Sterling Koch and the Victory In Heaven Band, who were performing this night, the Fair's opening night.

Except for some unexpected road construction-instigated gridlock where I exited onto Interstate (83) to head towards the fairgrounds, the gameplan was working out. I arrived at the Schuylkill County Fairgrounds just after 5 PM, a full two hours before the Victory In Heaven (V.I.H.) Band was scheduled to perform. At this point of the day, it was balmy summer weather, with mostly sunny skies and temperatures hovering in the low 80's.except for that little dark cloud patch way off on the horizon.a cloud patch that would eventually send my gameplan down the tubes.

As fairs go, this one was on the small side. The Schuylkill County Fairgrounds weren't all that large, perhaps comparable in size to the Delgrosso's Park grounds near Altoona.

I set up my folding chair in the lawn in front of the main stage, where The Shoreliners were performing. I caught a few songs as this group played mostly 50's and early 60's-era oldies, blended with a few polka songs along the way. After a few songs, the group took a pause, so the Fair staff could present and crown the fair king and queen. I decided to take a stroll around the rest of the fair during this break and see what was up.

I perused the fairgrounds, checking out the vintage tractor display, checking out some of the animal barns, and grabbing a bite to eat. Before V.I.H's scheduled performance, I checked out an acrobatic family, the Hansen Family, doing juggling and high-flying displays. During the display, I noticed the aforementioned small dark cloud patch grow larger on the horizon, and soon saw distant flashes of lightning. Soon the skies near the fairgrounds were darkening, the lightning flashes grew brighter and rumbles of thunder started becoming audible. I held out hope that the approaching storm would stay on the other side of the mountain and spare the fair from its wrath, especially after I did my three-hour roadtrip to see the Victory In Heaven Band's performance.

The brunt of the storm did stay on the other side of the mountain; however, the lightning strikes were hitting the hillside adjacent to the fairgrounds, and the storm was too close for the band to risk playing at their scheduled 7 PM start time. I hoped that the storm would do its thing and move on, and that the band might start later and at least get the second hour of their performance in. But the storm moved slowly, and remained too close to the fairgrounds. Any thoughts I had of heading out to approach the stage were quickly dashed by a sudden lightning flash and loud thunderclap. Although it was barely raining on the fairgrounds, the storm was too close for comfort. I stayed near one of the warehouses where inside displays were housed, and heard some folks mentioning that severe thunderstorm warnings were up for Pottsville, to the north. I stood in the entrance and took in nature's fireworks display; the lightning was vivid, probably the most impressive lightning display I had seen all summer!

As 8 PM passed and the storm still was moving slowly past, the decision was made not to put the band or sound crew at risk, and the performance was cancelled. A light drizzle began to fall, placing an exclamation point on the end of any hopes of seeing the Victory In Heaven Band this day. I decided it was safe enough to head to the stage, so I went and greeted the band. They were surprised and pleased to see me, but then dismayed that I had driven all that distance to see them only to have the performance cancelled by weather. I was still in good spirits, though; heck, it was still a good roadtrip and I got to see a fair I had never been to before. Also keeping me from being totally crestfallen was the knowledge that I did not have to drive the entire three-hour roadtrip back this night, as the Pennsylvania Musician Bed & Breakfast (publisher Whitey and Robin Noll's abode) had been offered to me as an option to room overnight. So my drive to my sleep destination was one hour instead of three.

It was off-and-on drizzle as I left the fairgrounds and drove back towards the Susquehanna River and my eventual sleeping destination. The night sky lit up frequently from other storms in the vicinity; obviously the Schuylkill County Fair wasn't the only location facing stormy weather this night.

So this day, the bear got me. Long roadtrip, no band (at least the one I drove there to see). I held out hope, though, that the planets might again align, and there might still be another opportunity to catch the Victory In Heaven Band before summer's end.

The Shoreliners, entertaining at the Schuylkill County Fair.

Again, The Shoreliners.

The accordionist for The Shoreliners.

The accordion and bass player for The Shoreliners…I think as they were doing “Who Stole the Keeshka!”

The sax player for The Shoreliners.

Acrobatic stunts with the Hansen Family.

More high-flying moves with the Hansen Family.

JP'S HAIKU

Schuylkill County Fair
Thunderstorm cancelled the band
Lightning show was great!

http://pamusician.net
 Back to top »
Jim Price

Post Posted: Saturday Dec 19, 2009 

http://pamusician.net
 Back to top »
ROCKPAGE Forum Index » JP's Corner
Page 1 of 1