· The Final Cut
ROAR IN THE MOUNTAINS WEEK/WEEKEND RECAP 9/24/07
ROCKPAGE Forum Index » JP's Corner
previous topic :: next topic  
Jim Price

Post Posted: Sunday Mar 09, 2008 

ROAR IN THE MOUNTAINS WEEK/WEEKEND RECAP 9/24/07

DANA MARTINO & FRIENDS @ THE KNICKERBOCKER, ALTOONA 9/19/07

You can’t keep a good Swinghound down! Returning to action after a few years away from area stages were Dana and Art Martino, the nucleus of popular area modern swing rockers DD & the Swinghounds (and later DD & the Electric Mayhem). I already had planned on being at the Knickerbocker Tavern near my place of employment this night, as an informal send-off party had been planned for two of my Q94 co-workers, Rose and Kylie. And the opportunity to see Dana and Art with their new project provided more incentive for me to finish up my workplace duties and get over to the Knick.

I arrived during the middle of their first set, and ordered up some food while taking in the performance. The two former Swinghounds were joined by Rik Golden on bass, and two more Swinghounds alumni, Jim Houser on guitar and Silver Sunday drummer Todd Harshbarger. The group finished up their first set with the Black Crowes’ “Hard to Handle,” Bon Jovi’s “Wanted Dead or Alive,” Billy Joel’s “Only the Good Die Young,” Styx’s “come Sail Away” and Jimi Hendrix’s “Redhouse.”

Jim soon departed, but the party was far from over. After an intermission, the remaining four musicians reconvened the music, starting with Led Zeppelin’s “Ramble On,” and continued with a wide and eclectic range of favorites from Tesla, Sublime, Alannah Myles, Stray Cats, Romantics, John Mellencamp, Beatles, Sugar Ray, Chuck Berry and more. Dana demonstrated her quality pipes throughout the set; she still has the voice! Rik sang lead a few times as well, fronting the group on Johnny Cash’s “Folsom Prison Blues” and the Sam Kinison take on “Wild Thing;” while Art fronted the group on the blues double-shot of Bo Diddley’s “Mannish Boy” and Willie Dixon’s “Hoochie Coochie Man.”

Although the audience pretty much was limited to the Q94 revelers in the Knickerbocker’s back bar area, Dana, Art and their band were having a good time. They sounded good overall, and had fun along the way as they performed, never taking themselves too seriously. It was friends having fun playing tunes together, with a few festive onlookers enjoying the music.

By the time the group started their third and final set, the audience had dwindled to one remaining reveler – me. But that was good enough for these folks to continue the music. After kicking off the third set with Guns N’Roses’ “Patience,” Dana unleashed her vocal fury on a rowdy version of Led Zeppelin’s “Rock and Roll,” with Art then taking the spotlight to display his bass abilities on Van Morrison’s “Moondance.” Rik then did one of his original songs, “Brown Eye Mary,” from his self-titled CD. The music continued to the end with tunes from the Beatles, Eagles, Gloria Gaymor, Eric Clapton, Whitesnake, and finally, Oasis’ “Champagne Supernova” to close the performance.

It was good to see Dana and Art back in action, sounding good and having fun. My coworkers and I enjoyed the tunes and festivities, and I hope to catch another show at some point soon.

Rik Golden, Dana and Art Martino, entertaining at the Knickerbocker.

Again, Rik, Dana and Art, with Todd Harshbarger lurking in back.

7TH GEAR @ 4D’S LOUNGE, ALTOONA 9/19/07

It had been a few months since Nine Planet Tour went on the backburner, and an offshoot band project, 7th Gear, shifted into high gear on area stages. I hadn’t had a good opportunity to see what this group was about until this night, when I headed from the Knickerbocker to the 4D’s upstairs Schnappes Shoppe to see what they were all about.

I arrived during their second set, and watched as singer/guitarist Brendon Burns, bassist/singer Kelly Montgomery and drummer Eric Wertz did numbers from Collective Soul, Bryan Adams, Dave Matthews Band, Phish, Lynyrd Skynyrd, Sublime, Jimi Hendrix and more.

With a good-sized crowd populating the Schnappes Shoppe, 7th Gear kept the party moving during their third set; opening with Live’s “When Dolphins Cry,” and proceeding with tunes from Van Morrison, more Sublime, Violent Femmes, James, Neil Young, Guns N’Roses, Wheatus, and Nena’s “99 Redballoons” to end the set. After audience demands to do one more, Brendon responded with the two-song encore of the Bob Marley-popularized “No Woman No Cry” and Pink Floyd’s “Wish You Were Here.”

7th Gear sounded sharp. This group allows Brendon and Kelly to show more of their singing abilities, plus try some different song material apart from what they were doing in Nine Planet Tour. All three players executed tightly, and kept the energy level and enthusiasm high. In turn, the good-sized contingent in the Schnappes Shoppe cheered and even danced along.

This night offered a good primer on what 7th Gear is about, and showed me why they have been a name on the rise in the ‘Toona area.

7th Gear, rocking the 4D’s upstairs Schnappes Shoppe.

Brendon Burns of 7th Gear.

Eric Wertz of 7th Gear.

Again, Brendon Burns of 7th Gear.

Again, Eric Wertz of 7th Gear.

Kelly Montgomery of 7th Gear.

JACKYL/WAY DOWN EAST/WISKERBISKET @ THE JAFFA SHRINE, ALTOONA 9/21/07

Of course, the center of attention in the Altoona area this weekend was the second annual Roar In The Mountains motorcycle rally, running through Sunday. Hopes ran high that this year’s event would be a step forward on several fronts, with an improved weather forecast over last year’s inaugural event, more activities and entertainment, and better coordination and organization. Roar organizers had enlisted the services of The Underground Television to help organize activities and musical entertainment for this year’s rally, and also hooked up with Q94 to help promote the weekend’s activities.

The event kicked off this day, Friday, with various activities throughout the day, and the center of the rally’s activities happening at Altoona’s Jaffa Shrine. The day would finish with a rock concert inside the Jaffa Shrine facility, as The Underground Television and Q94 presented Jackyl, with special guests Wiskerbisket and Way Down East.

A crowd steadily grew in front of the Jaffa’s stage as the concert’s start time approached. Soon it was time, and the first band of the night, Lewistown party force Wiskerbisket, was set to go. This would be my first opportunity to see the revised Wiskerbisket lineup, following the departure of former frontman Doug Snook last winter. New singer Joel DePietro, guitarist Jon Benevento, bassist Milhouse and drummer Harry Bleyer fired up the Jaffa crowd with an all-cover set, featuring high-powered current and classic rock/pop favorites. Opening with Violent Femmes’ “Blister in the Sun,” Wiskerbisket fired through popular tunage from the GoGo’s, Ramones, Lit, Jimmy Eats World, Billy Idol, Big & Rich, Weezer, Van Halen, Beastie Boys and Rage Against the Machine. Joel quickly established himself as a wildman who was unafraid to work all corners of the stage and beyond, even jumping down off the stage and running through the audience. Wiskerbisket accomplished their objective, to get the people fired up for the bands to follow. One fan event ran onstage several times to get crazy with the band (this guy would run into problems when he tried to do this later in the evening). While perhaps not ultimately as freewheeling and crazy as the Doug Snook incarnation of the band, this Wiskerbisket still could fire up the party, and got the evening off to an upbeat start.

Milhouse and Jon Benevento of Wiskerbisket.

With a special guest singer appearing during one song, Wiskerbisket.

Harry Bleyer of of Wiskerbisket.

Again, Jon Benevento of Wiskerbisket.

Up next was McConnellsburg foursome Way Down East. With their portrait of Hank Williams Jr. adorning the center of the Jaffa stage, these guys came on like gangbusters, proudly drilling their set of heavy, Southern- and country-informed rock. They were on a mission, to showcase their brand new album, Summon the Sea Hag, being unleashed this very night. Singer/guitarist Paul Wilson, guitarist Charles Harr, bassist Horse Gelvin and drummer Randy Wilson fired through nearly the entire album nonstop; opening with the album-opener “My Home” and continuing with such new titles as “Where Alfalfa Grows,” “Eat the Crow,” “He Haw Jehad,” “Hillbilly Rock and Roll,” “New Jack,” “Caught in the Crosshairs,” “Deep in My Head,” and “Born on the Weekend.” At this point, the group interrupted the onslaught of new songs to insert their most popular previous tune, the title to their first CD “Modern Day Outlaws.” The group then returned to the new album for “Freezer Champ,” before finishing out the set with “Jager Shots for Par,” “Everyday” and “Lord Stanley.” This band brought it on loud and proud, with Paul confidently roaring out the voice, and he and band delivering their songs with purpose and swagger. Way Down East had the crowd stomping and grooving, and they provided a perfect lead-in for the headliners.

Paul Wilson of Way Down East.

Horse Gelvin and Paul Wilson of Way Down East.

Randy Wilson of Way Down East, with portrait of Hank Jr. looking on.

Again, Randy Wilson of Way Down East.

Charles Harr of Way Down East.

Again, Paul Wilson of Way Down East.

Way Down East, firing up the Jaffa crowd.

And the headliners soon delivered the goods as well. Jackyl was wild, loud and rowdy! Singer Jesse James Dupree, on the eve of his 45th birthday, was kicking off the birthday celebration early...Armed with a bottle of Crown Royal and cans of Pabst to wash it down with, Jesse demonstrated his gift of gab, telling wild stories in between songs and rallying the crowd to get crazier as the performance progressed. Of course, Jackyl's music did a good job of firing people up, too, as Jesse, guitarist Jeff Worley, bassist Roman Glick and drummer Chris Worley did many of their favorites with a few surprises mixed in. Some of their selection included “Push Comes to Shove,” “Just Like a Devil” from the self-titled first album, Jesse’s take on Janis’s “Mercedes Benz,” "I Stand Alone," "When Will It Rain," "Down On Me" (which became a singalong), "Dirty Little Mind," and the set-closer "Redneck Punk." After the fired-up Jaffa crowd demanded an encore, Jesse emerged back onstage and offered a little political commentary about the Iraq war, before he and Jackyl launched into their rendition of Grand Funk Railroad's "We're An American Band;" followed by "She Loves My Cock," Jesse’s rendition of the “Star Spangled Banner” garbled through his guitar, and – with the Jackyl frontman brandishing his reliable Stihl chainsaw – "The Lumberjack!" (No Jaffa furnishings were damaged during the chainsaw solo in the middle of the song!) This was the hardest that the Jaffa Shrine had rocked since the 70's; and the old structure seemed to hold up well after the onslaught of loud guitars, booming beats, and enough cursing from Jesse that the Shriners probably needed to take a team of exorcists through the place afterwards to clear the demons from the building! Jackyl poured it all out onstage and went for broke, and the crowd in attendance had an exhaustive, sweaty good time! And afterward, despite the show ending past 11 PM, the Jackyl crew still took the time to come back out to the Jaffa's front lobby to sign autographs and greet fans.

Bottom line – WHAT A PARTY!

Jesse James Dupree of Jackyl.

Jeff Worley of Jackyl.

Again, Jesse James Dupree of Jackyl.

More Jesse James Dupree of Jackyl.

Chris Worley of Jackyl.

Again, Jeff Worley of Jackyl.

Roman Glick of Jackyl.

With the banner behind him, Jesse James Dupree of Jackyl.

Again, Roman Glick of Jackyl.

Jesse James Dupree and Chris Worley of Jackyl.

Clad in just a speedo, drummer Chris Worley of Jackyl.

Again, Roman Glick of Jackyl.

Jackyl, rocking the Jaffa.

Once again, Roman Glick of Jackyl.

Jesse James Dupree and Roman Glick of Jackyl.

Again, Jeff Worley of Jackyl.

Once again, Jeff Worley of Jackyl.

Yet again, Jesse James Dupree of Jackyl.

Jesse James Dupree, doing a chomp-on-guitar-strings rendition of the "Star Spangled Banner."

With chainsaw in hand, Jesse James Dupree of Jackyl lets the Jaffa crowd know - it's LUMBERJACK time!

Jesse lets the chainsaw sing.

More chainsaw music with Jesse James Dupree of Jackyl.

More lumberjacking with Jesse and Jackyl.

TONY MOLLICK PROJECT @ BURGI’S ROUNDHOUSE, ALTOONA 9/21/07

The itinerary had been advertised that the Roar in the Mountains after-parties were happening at Burgi’s Roundhouse in Greenwood. With the Tony Mollick Project providing the tunes, I headed there following the Jaffa concert to see how things were going.

It was a slow night, and only a handful of people were on hand as I arrived late in the Tony Mollick Band’s second set. Tony on lead vocals and guitar, Fuzz McGirk on bass and David Blake on drums completed the set with renditions of Fleetwood Mac’s “Oh Well,” ZZ Top’s “Cheap Sunglasses” and the ever-popular “Route 66.”

During the intermission, I detected a touch of sadness in the air, and soon learned the reason. I was informed that, months after going on the selling block, Burgi’s was closing its doors at the end of Roar weekend, and that Sunday would be the venue’s last day of business. I chatted with Jessica and the other wait staff and told them I would miss the place, and I took a look around the interior to get what would likely be my last look inside Burgi’s before its closure.

With a scant few people left in the building, the Tony Mollick Project only did two more songs when they returned to the stage, before calling it a night. The group did Peter Green/Santana’s “Black Magic Woman,” before finishing the night with AC/DC’s “Beatin’ Around the Bush.”

So after a rowdy evening at the Jaffa, the scene at Burgi’s ended the night on a mellower, more somber tone.

Fuzz McGirk and Tony Mollick, during TMP’s final performance at Burgi’s Roundhouse.

Again, Fuzz and Tony of TMP.

David Blake of the Tony Mollick Project.

BACKYARD BBQ @ THE JAFFA SHRINE, ALTOONA 9/22/07

The following day, Roar in the Mountains continued with another concert, as The Underground Television and Q94 presented the Backyard BBQ concert outdoors in the Jaffa Shrine parking lot.

The sun was bright and the temperature was already pushing 80 as I arrived to do a Q94 remote broadcast from the concert. Some technical snafus pushed the concert’s scheduled 12 noon start time back a good hour, but with only four bands to fill the bill during the afternoon, there wasn’t any sense of urgency, and the bands had no problem with adjusting their start times accordingly.

Eventually, Acalasia led off the event. Singer Krystal Shore, guitarists Neil Deyarmin and Ryan Sheehan, bassist Steve Wells and drummer Cory Aboud played a strong, focused set that put their original song arsenal on display. The group did all of the songs from their recently-issued EP What Makes You a Maniac?, including “So Much for the Railcar,” “There’s No Place Like Home,” “Maniac Parade,” the slower and mellower “Unused,” “Contradictory” and “Based on True Stories.” Krystal also introduced one new original that hadn’t been titled yet. Acalasia sounded sharp, with their rigid and rapid fire rhythms providing the launching pad for Krystal’s clear and high-ranging voice. I heard from a number of people present who were seeing Acalasia for the first time this day, and the concensus gave a big thumbs up; this band opened some ears and won some new fans this day.

Acalasia kicks off the Backyard BBQ during Roar in the Mountains weekend.

Krystal Shore of Acalasia.

Again, Acalasia.

Ryan Sheehan of Acalasia.

Stephen Wells of Acalasia.

Neil Deyarmin of Acalasia.

Again, Ryan Sheehan of Acalasia.

After a short changeover, Spirit Lost was next on the bill. Like Acalasia, Spirit Lost used the opportunity to demonstrate their original song creations. Singer Austin Tepsic, guitarists Brian Smith and Joe Harpster, bassist Russ Patterson and drummer Lisa Fazenbaker played original numbers such as the opener “Lost Soul,” “Alone,” “Soul Seeker,” “Misery of a Wounded Heart,” “Journey of a Lifetime” and more. The group also tacked a few select covers at the end of the set. Although not a huge crowd in attendance, the folks gathered in front of the stage were attentive during Spirit Lost’s performance, and this group too served notice to some new fans this day.

Spirit Lost.

Lisa Fazenbaker and Austin Tepsic of Spirit Lost.

Again, Lisa and Austin.

Again, Spirit Lost.

One more time, Spirit Lost.

Some of the bikes in attendance while Spirit Lost is performing.

As mentioned, the crowd in front of the stage this day was never really brisk, comprised mostly of passers-by and a few music fans, plus the occasional Roar vendors and other rally participants. During Spirit Lost’s set, the 501st Legion folks – decked out in various Star Wars attire – made their arrival to check things out. (One of the Stormtroopers, a lady, wanted to enter the Q94 Calendar Girl contest, but couldn’t remove her Stormtrooper outfit to pose!) Representatives from the U.S. Army contingent, with a climbing wall and armored vehicle on display nearby, also stopped by. A welcome arrival was Papa John’s Pizza, who donated a number of pizzas to feed the bands donating their time this day. And although the timing didn’t work out to get them onstage, members of the Kentucky Headhunters – who were performing inside the Jaffa later in the evening – stopped by to check things out as well.

Q94 Calendar Girls Lindsey and Jessica pose atop a U.S. Army armored vehicle.

Some Star Wars stormtroopers arrive during the Backyard BBQ.

The third band of the afternoon was Lies, Inc. They too showcased their original song arsenal. Singer J.D. Hicks, guitarist Jason “Dax” Berardi, bassist Kent Tonkin and drummer Ron Brode did the songs from their Statistics EP, including “Don’t Blink,” “Hypnotic,” “Atomic Skies” and “Plaster Apparent;” also a few newer original songs, and a few select modern rock covers, including Tool’s “Stinkfist.” Lies, Inc. also was in good form this afternoon, and received a good response from folks in front of the stage.

Lies, Inc. commences their performance during the Backyard BBQ.

J.D. Hicks and Jason “Dax” Berardi of Lies, Inc.

Again, Lies, Inc.

Kent Tonkin of Lies, Inc.

Lies, Inc. commences their performance during the Backyard BBQ.

Ron Brode of Lies, Inc.

Again, Ron Brode of Lies, Inc.

Once again, Lies, Inc.

Again, Kent Tonkin of Lies, Inc.

Jason “Dax” Berardi of Lies, Inc.

Closing out the afternoon was the Tony Mollick Project, who finished the day in a blaze of blues-rocking glory. Tony, Fuzz and David opened with their rocking version of the “Peter Gunn Theme,” and mixed classic rockers with original numbers. The group performed their original rocker “Likely Story,” their more relaxed ode to a motorcycle “Rusty Angel” and the slinky “That’s Alright;” as well as numbers from Stevie Ray Vaughan, ZZ Top, the Stray Cats and more. Again the Tony Mollick Project gave a strong performance, and although attendance was light by this point of the afternoon, they managed to keep some new fans in front of the stage to groove along.

The Tony Mollick Project.

Again, The Tony Mollick Project.

Group namesake Tony Mollick.

Fuzz McGirk of the Tony Mollick Project.

David Blake of the Tony Mollick Project.

Once again, Tony Mollick.

Again, David Blake.

One more time, the Tony Mollick Project.

In all, it was a good afternoon of local music and fun in the sun, and the feedback received during the inaugural Backyard BBQ was favorable. Thanks to all four bands for donating their talents and time, The Underground TV, Rich Johnson and the Iceman for running the sound, and the Roar organizers for their cooperation and allowing this opportunity for local music to be a part of this year’s Roar In The Mountains. Aside from Penn State losing to Michigan again (and the reality that I had to buy ToonaRockGuy another case of MGD, dammit), it was a good time.

LEADFOOT/HAIR FORCE ONE @ CITY LIMITS, ALTOONA 9/22/07

After resting up from the Backyard BBQ and licking my wounds from the Penn State loss to Michigan, I headed to City Limits to finish out the day with a doubleheader blast of 80’s hair-band metal and arena rock, courtesy of Leadfoot and Hair Force One.

I arrived late during Leadfoot’s set, and only got to see their last four songs. But this Harrisburg fivesome was cranking on all cylinders, warming up the crowd with renditions of Ram Jam’s “Black Betty,” Black Sabbath’s “War Pigs,” Twisted Sister’s “I Wanna Rock” and Van Halen’s “Hot for Teacher,” showing excellent guitar fireworks courtesy of Shane and Pat. Singer James took the party out onto the dance floor and into the audience a few times in the late going, and Leadfoot succeeded in awakening the City Limits crowd and getting them ready for Hair Force One to follow.

Leadfoot triggers some dance floor action at City Limits.

Leadfoot puts pedal to the metal at City Limits.

Singer James of Leadfoot.

Pat of Leadfoot.

Again, James of Leadfoot.

Again, Leadfoot rocks City Limits.

Kip of Leadfoot.

One more time, Leadfoot.

As expected, Hair Force One’s two sets became a wild and rowdy party. The group was bidding official farewell to departing bass player Iva Biggin this night, in his final Altoona show with them. Introduced with the 2001 theme through the speakers, Iva, frontman Victor Synn, guitarists Michael J. Cox and Phillip DaPussee, keyboardist Roman Fyngerz and drummer G launched their first set with Bon Jovi’s “You Were Born to Be My Baby,” and quickly filled up City Limits’ dance floor with hair-band rock from Great White, Jackyl, Poison, Warrant, Def Leppard, Skid Row, Ozzy, Queensryche, AC/DC and more.

During the nightcap set, the party intensified. Hair Force One again packed the dance floor as they rocked with Dio’s “Rainbow in the Dark,” Motley Crue’s “Girls Girls Girls,” Kiss’ “Heaven’s on Fire” and Guns N’Roses’ “Welcome to the Jungle.” A number of ladies started dancing alongside the band members onstage, and it was party mayhem for the duration, as Hair Force One kept them dancing on the floor and the stage with more tunes from Poison, Guns N’Roses, and Def Leppard’s “Armageddon It” to finish the night. After the ecstatic crowd demanded one more song, Hair Force One put the spotlight on keyboardist Roman, finishing out the night with Europe’s “The Final Countdown.”

The headbangers had a ball, and it was all-out party mayhem at City Limits this night, as Hair Force One and Leadfoot gave the full house a hard-rocking, sweaty good time!

Michael J. Cox of Hair Force One. I could have sworn I saw this guy somewhere earlier in the day...

A familiar sight at City Limits; Hair Force One and a packed dance floor.

Again, Hair Force One.

Phillip DaPussee of Hair Force One.

Victor Synn of Hair Force One sings to the crowd.

Playing his last Altoona job with Hair Force One, Iva Biggin.

A dancer bumps alongside Iva Biggin of Hair Force One.

Soon the stage becomes the dance floor during Hair Force One’s party.

Again, Iva Biggin of Hair Force One.

Again, Victor Synn of Hair Force One.

Once again, Iva Biggin of Hair Force One.

It’s an all-out party onstage with Hair Force One.

More craziness with Hair Force One.

Again, Michael J. Cox of Hair Force One.

More of Hair Force One.

Michael J. Cox of Hair Force One has some company onstage.

Michael J. Cox and a crowd of dancing ladies.

This Hair Force One party shows no signs of slowing down!

Michael J. Cox of Hair Force One, obviously having a good time.

The party continues with Hair Force One.

Once again, Michael J. Cox of Hair Force One and some dancing fans.

Melissa and Stephanie, busting some dance moves.

Once again, 80’s Decade of Decadence mayhem with Hair Force One.

G of Hair Force One has some company behind the kit.

The party isn’t over yet!

Performing in a sea of fans, Victor Synn of Hair Force One.

THE UNDERGROUND TV ALL AGES CONCERT @ THE JAFFA SHRINE, ALTOONA 9/23/07

During the final day of Roar In The Mountains, The Underground Television presented an all-ages metal fest in the Jaffa Shrine's upper rear parking area, featuring performances from Dragon Fire, Stuck in Kaos, Ninetail, Bow Down, From Dissension and Choking Faith.

As I had other plans for this day, I hadn’t planned to be in attendance for this concert. But after being notified that “Black Betty,” Q94’s black bread truck, needed to be moved to the Jaffa’s upper parking lot to accommodate an antique car show happening in the lower lot, I went to the Jaffa briefly to help get the truck moved, and got to witness about five minutes of the concert.

What I saw was a decent-sized contingent of mostly young rock fans, watching as From Dissension hammered their brand of brutal-flavored metalcore. The sound appeared to be at a reasonable level so as not to disturb the neighbors, and everything seemed to be running smoothly. After helping get the truck moved, I departed to return to my other plans. But it looked like everything at this concert was going smoothly, no problem.

From Dissension, during their performance at the Underground TV all ages concert at Roar in the Mountains.

Several fans take in From Dissension’s performance.

JP’s HAIKU

Roar in the Mountains
Bikes, bikers, music, good times
Jackyl rocked the Shrine

http://pamusician.net
 Back to top »
Jim Price

Post Posted: Saturday Dec 19, 2009 

http://pamusician.net
 Back to top »
ROCKPAGE Forum Index » JP's Corner
Page 1 of 1