· The Final Cut
WEEK/WEEKEND RECAP 10/1/07
ROCKPAGE Forum Index » JP's Corner
previous topic :: next topic  
Jim Price

Post Posted: Saturday Mar 15, 2008 

WEEK/WEEKEND RECAP 10/1/07

MT. CITY GRASS @ THE HITCHING POST, ALTOONA 9/26/07

With all the Alive @ Five concerts happening at the Railroader’s Museum this summer, I hadn’t been logging much Wednesday Country Night time at The Hitching Post. This night, I was overdue for some bluegrassin,’ so I was off to the Post to check in with Mt. City Grass.

I arrived at the Post towards the end of Mt. City Grass’ set, entering as the group performed “Kentucky Girl.” Singer/guitarist/ringleader Denny Cerully then deferred lead singing duties to banjo man Dean “Topo Gigio” Berkhimer, who sang on “Mountain Dew” to close the set.

As I feasted on the Post’s always-delicious barbecue ribs, I enjoyed the music as Denny, Dean, upright bass player Katie Cerully, dobro man John “Songsmith” Stevens and guitarist Ed Decker happily played through a hit parade of traditional bluegrass standards from guys named Stanley, Monroe, Flatt and more. After the group’s instrumental lead-in, they performed two Stanley Brothers numbers, “Mountain Girls” and “Love Me Darlin’ Just Tonight;” followed by the Bill Monroe double-shot of “Little Georgia Rose” and “Blue Moon of Kentucky.” After another instrumental number, it was back to Ralph Stanley for the double-shot of “A Little Boy Named Joe” and “Katie Daley,” followed by the Louvin Brothers’ “Are You Teasin’ Me.” Mt. City Grass then broke into the ever-popular “Rocky Top,” before spotlighting Dean’s banjo-picking talents on “Remington Ride.” A version of Lester Flatt’s “My Cabin in the Hills of Caroline” followed, with another tune (I think called “Rock Bottom,” definitely not the UFO classic) and – by audience demand – a reprise rendition of the Dean-sung “Mountain Dew” to close the show.

It was again enjoyable pickin’ and grinnin’ by the Mt. City Grass cast, delivered with enthusiasm and a smile. The musicianship was solid overall, and you could tell these folks were having fun doing the music they did. I also liked that Denny announced most of the song titles before they did them; still a relative newbie in the world of ‘grass music, it made my job a lot easier!

Mt. City Grass, throwing their monthly hoedown at the Hitching Post.

Again, Mt. City Grass.

After the show ended, a little bit of an odyssey occurred for yours truly and Songsmith…After we shot the breeze for a while after the show, we headed out the door of the Post at around midnight. As I walked down toward my car in the Post’s parking lot, I noticed something unusual that appeared to be floating over Altoona. At first I thought it might be the moon, but the full moon was actually in another part of the sky over Brush Mountain. I stared at the object, and the shape appeared to be a hot air balloon. “Strange,” I thought, “why would a hot air balloon be going over Altoona at midnight?” I called Songsmith’s attention to it, and we both stood and stared at it. The object seemed to gradually change shape and drift a little toward the north. What the hell was it? Two other guys walking up past the Post saw us gawking at the sky, and they looked and were puzzled by the object’s identity as well. Was it a balloon? Was it a UFO? Was it some sort of celestial optical illusion? Curiosity got to me, I had to have a closer look. So I headed down to 6th Avenue and proceeded north towards Lloyd Street. I soon discovered that the object wasn’t as high up in the sky as it appeared to be from the Post; it actually was just a 75-100 feet above the ground, and floating above the vicinity between 5th and 6th Streets, and 6th and 7th Avenues. I pulled off into the St. Mark’s Church parking lot and stared up at it. I noticed a group of other folks standing in the lot and looking up at it as well. It appeared to be several clusters of shiny balloons on several strings or tethers, attached to a central cord that was tied down or stuck on something. Either a business was floating the balloons as part of a promotion, or the balloons broke away from somewhere else and got caught up on a tree or power/telephone lines. With the moonlight reflecting off the shiny balloons, it looked like a floating/hovering object from afar. Mystery solved…

THE DUKE MORRISON QUARTET @ MIMI’S RESTAURANT, HUNTINGDON 9/28/07

This night, I made the effort to expand my musical horizons, and experience some live jazz. Since I had been curious to check them out, I did the roadtrip to Mimi’s Restaurant in Huntingdon to do dinner and catch my first look at the Duke Morrison Quartet.

I arrived and procured a table as the group was finishing up a set, doing so with the instrumental Santana double-shot of “Europa” and “Oye Como Va.”

After a brief intermission, the Duke Morrison Quartet soon resumed. Featuring Eric Barthmaier on bass, Chip Lovett on keys, Dom Peruso on drums and Paul Young on guitar; the Duke Morrison Quartet played a mixture of instrumental jazz, funk and Latin sounds through their remaining two sets. Their next set started with the Latin-flavored “Travel in Time” (I believe an original number by Paul, if my notes read correctly), and continued with Dizzy Gillespie’s “A Night in Tunisia,” Miles Davis’ “Seven Steps to Heaven,” a calypso rendition of Erroll Garner’s “Misty,” Benny Golson’s “Killer Joe,” and Sonny Rollins’ “Saint Thomas.” It was fascinating to witness the instrumental interaction between these musicians, as they smoothly executed tricky arrangements and time signatures, constantly improvising and playing off one another for some dazzling displays. I also liked the diverse range of jazz material this group was doing, as they never stayed in one style for too long.

Their last set started with a repeat performance of Santana’s “Europa” by audience request. The Duke Morrison Quartet then performed the faster-paced John Coltrane number “Mr. P.C.,” followed by “Blue Bossa,” Thelonius Monk’s “Well, You Needn’t,” and Herbie Hancock’s “Chameleon” to finish the set. After the Mimi’s audience requested one more song, the group responded with an encore, doing the Meters’ “Cissy Strut” to finish out the evening.

For my first experience hearing the Duke Morrison Quartet, I came away impressed. The musicianship rode at a constant high; these four players obviously know their instruments, and as mentioned before, it was fascinating listening as these players communicated with one another through their instruments and arrangements. The Mimi’s audience was clearly impressed as well, with the applause growing as the show progressed.

Coupled with the delicious fish dinner I ordered up, the Duke Morrison Quartet’s performance at Mimi’s made for a great start to my Friday night bandwatching activities. I’ll have to make a point to do this combination again sometime soon!

The Duke Morrison Quartet brings the jazz to Mimi’s Restaurant.

HELLO VIXEN @ 4D’S LOUNGE, ALTOONA 9/28/07

With the Duke Morrison Quartet finishing up around 11 PM, I had enough time to return to Altoona and catch another band in town. My eventual destination was the 4D’s Lounge, to check in with Hello, Vixen.

Not surprisingly, the Dees had a near full house as I arrived during the group’s second intermission. Soon the fivesome was underway with their nightcap set; this was the first time I noticed the group’s lit neon name sign adorning the back of the stage.

Singer Mark Simanski, guitarists Bill Maguire and Brian Simanski, bassist Justin Brown and drummer Steve Holtz quickly had the Dees dance crowd up and moving with their high-energy, bounce-off-the-walls brand of punky modern rock originals and favorites. Two new original tunes opened the set, before the group welcomed guest singer P.J. to sing on Neil Young’s “Rockin’ in the Free World.” Hello, Vixen then broke out the Presidents of the United States of America’s “Peaches,” followed by tunes from Incubus, Joan Jett, Foo Fighters and more. The party closed with the Green Day double-shot of “Holiday” and “Good Riddance.”

Overall, it was a typically energized Hello, Vixen performance. The band kept the music flying fast and constant, and their energy was infectious and kept the crowd fired up. The guitars sounded a little muddy in the mix during the last set, but this didn’t have any noticeable effect on the spirit of the crowd.

This show reaffirmed that Hello, Vixen continues to generate one of the area’s most rock ‘em, sock ‘em parties onstage, and a good time was had by all.

Mark Simanski of Hello, Vixen, climbs atop the speaker to entertain the packed dance floor.

Hello, Vixen at the Dees…A beer-hoistin’ good time!

Once again, Hello, Vixen and a packed 4D’s dance floor.

POTATOFEST, EBENSBURG 9/29/07

Ebensburg Potatofest time had arrived again. This event has steadily grown into one of the premiere fall festivals in this part of the world, and this year’s event was jam-packed with musical performances from start to end. My fingers were crossed that the weather would cooperate with Potatofest this year, for a change… It did. The abundance of warm and pleasant weather thus far this fall decided to bless this year’s 16th annual Potatofest with nearly summerlike conditions. Workplace duties prevented me from getting up the hill to Ebensburg early enough to witness either Jerry’s Fault’s or the Sharptones’ performances.

But I did get there by early afternoon, and in time to see much of Flood City Brass’ performance at the main tent. These guys and gal dazzled with their horn-driven classic rock sounds; doing numbers from Chicago, Blood Sweat & Tears, Ides Of March, Wilson Pickett, Wild Cherry and more. Singer Tom Pavic was in top form this afternoon, bringing maximum spirit and soul into his performances on Wild Cherry’s “Play That Funky Music,” Ides of March’s “Vehicle,” Wilson Pickett’s “634-5789” and the Four Tops’ “I Can’t Help Myself.” The horn section of trombonist Jim Bilitski, trumpet player Dan Perich, sax player Jen Shuty and guest Carl Walker on trombone delivered a healthy workout as well. Their performance was fun and enthusiastic, and the crowd in front of the stage steadily grew as more festival passers-by took notice of the band and stopped to watch.

Here are two videos from Flood City Brass’ performance:

http://www.rockpage.net/users/jprice/video/MOV00151.MPG

http://www.rockpage.net/users/jprice/video/MOV00152.MPG

Josh Covert and Jim Bilitski of Flood City Brass.

With Jen Shuty looking on from behind, Josh Covert of Flood City Brass.

The horn and guitar section of Flood City Brass.

Playing some guitar as well, Josh Covert of Flood City Brass.

Tom Pavic of Flood City Brass.

Flood City Brass, getting ‘horn’-y at Potatofest.

John Homerski Jr. of Flood City Brass.

Sax lady Jen Shuty pulled double duty this day, as she also performed with the next band I went to see a short distance down the street at the High Street tent, Spoonchatter. Jen, singer/keyboardist Dustin Rainey, bassist Adam Wolf and drummer Jason Olear played their unique brand of keyboard- and sax-driven jazz/pop-rock sounds. During their performance, they introduced several new original songs, including "Einstein," "Something Beautiful" and "Mind Games;" played earlier originals from their first CD Homespun, and did select covers, including the Beatles’ “Lady Madonna,” Wham’s “Careless Whisper,” Inxs’ “What You Need,” Weezer’s “Beverly Hills” and more. Spoonchatter’s new song material sounded good, continuing the group’s knack for catchy, polished melodies. The group was instrumentally on target, and their overall presentation was pleasant and upbeat. This set made me eager to hear this group’s next recording, hopefully out sometime in 2008.

Here is footage from Spoonchatter’s performance:

http://www.rockpage.net/users/jprice/video/MOV00153.MPG

At the other end of the street, Spoonchatter entertains with their upbeat sounds at Potatofest.

Dustin Rainey of Spoonchatter.

Jen Shuty of Spoonchatter.

Jason Olear of Spoonchatter.

Adam Wolf of Spoonchatter.

Again, Spoonchatter.

Again, Jen Shuty of Spoonchatter.

Again, Dustin Rainey of Spoonchatter.

Again, Jason Olear of Spoonchatter.

Shedding the shades this time, Jen Shuty of Spoonchatter.

Once again, Spoonchatter.

Once again, Jason Olear of Spoonchatter.

One more time, Spoonchatter.

As mentioned before, the weather this day was excellent, and this resulted in a huge mass of humanity throughout Potatofest. Getting from one stage to another, and even one food booth to another, was a challenge that even the most seasoned NFL linebacker would have had difficulty with. But I bumped and grinded my way through the crowd to the Memorial Park stage, where I saw a band I enjoyed at last year’s Potatofest, Ebensburg hometown rock-n-rollers Echoes, as they played their bright mix of 60's and 70's rock'n'roll and pop favorites. I caught the last half of Echoes’ second set at the Memorial Park tent, watching as singer Marianne Kokus, keyboardist/singer Mike Kokus, guitarist/singer Nick Kokus, bassist Jeremy Colbert, drummer Seth Reighard and keyboardist/percussionist/singer Ryan Skiles did upbeat tunes such as Kool & the Gang’s “Celebrate,” Stevie Wonder’s “Sir Duke,” James Brown’s “I Feel Good,” the Foundations’ “Build Me Up Buttercup,” Chicago’s “Saturday in the Park” and Wild Cherry’s “Play That Funky Music.” As was the case last year, Echoes generated a pleasant and happy vibe, and even inspired some dance action in front of the stage. And a year later, this group sounded tighter and more confident; especially Marianne, who sang with poise and was more talkative with the audience. Unlike last year, there was no “Unicorn Man” dancing along (in fact, I didn’t see this guy all day, he must not have been in the mood for spuds this year). But again, Echoes provided an enjoyable performance.

Here is footage from Echoes’ performance:

http://www.rockpage.net/users/jprice/video/MOV00154.MPG

Echoes again brings good-time rock’n’roll to Ebensburg’s Potatofest.

Mike, Nick and guest Michelle Kokus of Echoes.

Marianne Kokus of Echoes.

Seth Reighard of Echoes.

Again, Marianne Kokus of Echoes.

Switching to guitar for a song, Jeremy Colbert of Echoes.

Once again, Marianne Kokus of Echoes.

Again, Mike, Nick and Michelle of Echoes.

One more time, Marianne Kokus of Echoes.

I then finished my Potatofest experience back at the main tent, catching my first look at Johnstown Irish/folk trio Tree. Featuring Jen Harnett on fiddle, Matt Harnett on acoustic guitar and vocals and guest percussionist Wayne MacEwan (of Dead Irish Blues), Tree performed a blend of Irish and traditional folk. Among their song selection were traditional numbers such as “Cumberland Gap,” “Carolina Bound,” “Cold Frosty Morning,” “Shady Grove,” “Rocky Top,” “Hills of Connemara” and more. On the traditional Celtic song “Dancing with Mrs. White,” Jen strapped on a concertina and demonstrated her skills on that instrument. Tree’s performance was good as well, as they mixed up the flavors to keep their presentation interesting. As Potatofest was nearing its conclusion, the crowd started to thin out, and Tree didn’t see the large crowds the earlier acts enjoyed. But a few folks did stick around, and several bought the group’s CD after the performance.

Tree, getting their Irish up at Ebensburg’s Potatofest.

Two youngsters dance on the wooden platform as Tree performs.

Jen Harnett of Tree.

Again fiddling around, Jen Harnett of Tree.

Special guest man on the bodhran for Tree this day, Wayne MacEwan.

Matt Harnett of Tree.

Tree, picking up the tempo at Ebensburg’s Potatofest.

Once again, Tree.

Tree’s Jen Harnett plays the concertina, too.

One more time, Tree.

The combination of good weather, strong live music performances and tasty spud-based foodstuffs made this one of the better Potatofests I’ve enjoyed. This event keeps getting bigger and better; and I’ll be eagerly looking forward to the 2008 edition next September.

GOOD OI PUNK SHOW @ DIRT SOLDIERS, CARROLLTOWN 9/29/07

After departing Ebensburg and Potatofest, I decided to head to another outdoor event happening this day, a multi-band all-ages show happening at Dirt Soldiers, a dirt bike track facility between Carrolltown and Loretto. Prior to my arrival, this all-day show saw performances from The Regrettes, The Scraps, Locked Inside, Tombstone Radio, In Our Defense and Dick Shack Posse.

I arrived shortly before Black River Circus took the small wooden wagon stage. This was an interesting sight, as bike riders kicked up dust clouds along the hillside dirt track adjacent to the stage area. It immediately occurred to me that this setting was probably real healthy for the various bands’ electrical gear!

A dirt bike kicks up some dust at Dirt Soldiers.

Another dirt bike takes on the hill.

Anyway, this was my first look at Black River Circus. Comprised of singer/guitarist Luke Pfister, banjo player Kris Douglas, lead guitarist James McNulty, upright bass player Matt Wise and drummer Josh Ryan; Black River Circus did a lively sound that blended elements of Americana, punk, rockabilly/psychobilly and more. I didn’t catch much in the way of song titles, but some of the tunes this group did included “Ordinary Criminal” and “Diamond Lou.” Their song material was interesting and varied, shifting between punky rhythms and country twang. I liked the direction, and this set intrigued me enough that I’m anxious to hear more.

Black River Circus entertains at Dirt Soldiers.

While bikes kick up dust on the hillside behind him, Matt Wise of Black River Circus.

Matt Wise and Luke Pfister of Black River Circus.

Again, Black River Circus.

Luke Pfister of Black River Circus.

Once again, Black River Circus.

Again, Matt Wise of Black River Circus.

Yet again, Black River Circus.

One more time, Matt Wise of Black River Circus.

Darkness had set in, and the temperature was rapidly plummeting in the Cambria County hills as the next band was getting ready to go. That band was a new metalcore foursome called Drain the Sorrow, featuring Dave Winters on lead throat, Shaun Barr on guitar, Brian Weibley on bass and Andy Hicks on drums. They introduced their harsh, hard-hitting musical terrain through such assaults as “Struggle Within,” “Enemy of My Life” and “Stand Your Ground.” Dave unleashed the beast with an intense, caustic roar as he paraded and jumped in front of the stage, and the rest of the band backed him with jagged, pounding rhythms. As a band just out of the starting blocks, Drain the Sorrow did a respectable job; more shows under their belt should tighten them up.

Drain the Sorrow.

Again, Drain the Sorrow.

Dave Winters of Drain the Sorrow.

Brian Weibley of Drain the Sorrow.

It had become downright cold on the mountain as Chapter 5 followed with their driving brand of hardcore punk. Unfortunately for them, much of the Dirt Soldiers crowd had retreated back by a growing bonfire, and only a few hardcore music fans (myself included) were in front of the stage to witness their set. Chapter 5 kept it real, drilling many of the songs from their recently-issued A Great Day to Die CD plus one new song. It was fast and fiery, probably made moreso from the sense of urgency to get it done and get warmed up at the bonfire!

Chapter 5 cranks things up at Dirt Soldiers.

Again, Chapter 5.

Tim Mort of Chapter 5.

Tom Noel of Chapter 5 cranks things up at Dirt Soldiers.

Again, Tom Noel of Chapter 5.

One more time, Chapter 5.

And Choking Faith closed out the show with their style of bristling metal, including assaults from their Thru the Ashes CD and two new songs, “My Bloody Valentine” and “Six.” Again, most of the crowd was either back by the bonfire and partying, departing from Dirt Soldiers or retreating to their tents; only the devout metalheads were up front to take in this final band of the day.

Jason Mittan of Choking Faith.

Dan Miller and Jason Mittan of Choking Faith.

Dan Miller of Choking Faith.

Choking Faith closes out the day’s musical action at Dirt Soldiers.

A hazy full moon overlooks the Dirt Soldiers hillside.

Cold as it had become, I made a hasty retreat from Dirt Soldiers after Choking Faith finished. What I got to take in of this show was a good time, and it was well attended. If it happens again next year, I’ll definitely consider returning!

STEEL @ BAR 53, COALPORT 9/29/07

After Potatofest and the multi-band show at Dirt Soldiers, I wasn’t done yet! I found my way to Route 53 from Dirt Soldiers, and proceeded to Bar 53 in Coalport, to catch my first look at Harrisburg classic/metal rockers Steel.

All four members of Steel are seasoned vets from the Harrisburg scene, and a few of them have played over this way in past projects. Establishing their collective hard-rocking resume through such previous bands as Savage Bliss, KareTaker, Scary Mary and Ashley Krump; singer Chris Redding, guitarist Aaron Zimmerman, bassist Dave Magaro and drummer Trevis Becker continued to bring the rock in Steel this night, mixing classic 70's and 80's hard rock and metal with original tunes and a few surprises along the way.

I arrived towards the end of Steel’s first set, and got to hear the group do versions of Rush’s “Finding My Way,” Krokus’ “Screaming in the Night” and Iron Maiden’s “The Trooper” to close the set. Their performance on just these three classics already had my attention riveted to the stage! The crowd was a bit thin at this point in the evening, and I was wishing more folks were in the house to witness this band!

As I was soon to learn, Steel’s fireworks were just starting. The group threw a southern twist on the night to open their second set, doing Charlie Daniels’ “Devil Went Down to Georgia,” with Aaron generating the violin-like solo fireworks on his axe! Next was Metallica’s “For Whom the Bell Tolls,” followed by Uriah Heep’s “Stealin’” and Godsmack’s “Keep Away.” Just when I got settled in to this group’s heavy-rocking groove, they shifted gears again, breaking out their heavy-handed take on Big & Rich’s “Save a Horse, Ride a Cowboy.” For the rest of the set, Steel stuck to the harder side of the spectrum, delivering the AC/DC double-shot of “You Shook Me All Night Long” and “Have a Drink on Me,” Buckcherry’s “Crazy Bitch,” Aerosmith’s “Lord of the Thighs” and…Iron Maiden’s “Hallowed Be Thy Name!” And the Maiden tune even drew dancers on the floor from the steadily-growing Bar 53 crowd!

A good-sized crowd was in the house by the time Steel commenced their final set of the night. The group dug into the early 70’s archive to open the set with Grand Funk Railroad’s “Footstompin’ Music,” followed by the Pat Travers Band-popularized “Boom Boom (Out Go the Lights),” and the LONG 8-minute version of Foghat’s “Slow Ride!” And this band had “Slow Ride” down pat, executing the entire 8 minutes just like the Foghat original! The group then did one of their own, performing “Black and Blue” from their Hammered CD, before revisiting the Iron Maiden catalog for “Run to the Hills.” Next was a version of Dio’s “The Last in Line,” followed by April Wine’s “Roller,” Accept’s “Balls to the Wall,” and AC/DC’s “Highway to Hell,” which packed the dance floor to close out the set. The Bar 53 crowd wanted to hear more, so Steel returned for an encore, starting with a version of Black Sabbath’s “N.I.B.,” before ending the night with The Sweet’s “Ballroom Blitz.”

Steel delivered an impressive performance throughout the night. Their instrumental skills were amazing; these guys executed with tightness and total attention to detail, especially on the Maiden and other more metallic song material. Chris belted some great voice too, howling with power, range, grit and intensity. I liked their overall song selection, both the obvious metal-leaning material and the surprises, which kept things interesting and prevented the show from becoming too routine. The crowd grew as Steel’s show proceeded, and the group triggered increasing amounts of dance floor activity as the night progressed.

Hopefully Steel will get back to this neck of the woods in the future. If they do, any fan of classic metal, precision musicianship and straight-up-the-gut hard rock should make the effort to check this band out. They deliver the goods!

Steel rocks Bar 53.

Chris Redding of Steel.

Trevis Becker of Steel.

Aaron Zimmerman of Steel.

Again, Trevis Becker of Steel.

Again, Harrisburg’s Steel.

Once again, Trevis Becker of Steel.

Dave Magaro of Steel.

Steel rocks Bar 53.

Once again, Steel.

Again, Chris Redding of Steel.

Again, Aaron Zimmerman of Steel.

More Steel.

One more time, Aaron Zimmerman of Steel.

Bar 53 experiences cold hard Steel.

FELIX & THE HURRICANES FALL BLUES CRUISE, LAKE RAYSTOWN 9/30/07

It was Blues Cruisin’ time again! I returned to Lake Raystown for Felix & the Hurricanes’ Fall Blues Cruise aboard the Proud Mary riverboat, along with the festivities before and after.

The pre-cruise food spread offered up by Hurricaniac Brian was again excellent, giving most everybody full bellies before the cruise. Chicken, chili, pasta salad and baked beans were just a few of the food items, but it was all good!

The Cruise itself was a little more laid-back than the Bikini Blues Cruise in July, as people were in a more relaxed state to take in the scenery and warm weather while it lasted. It was a different vibe, but still a great time as the Hurricanes and special guests The Red Arrow provided the classic-rocking soundtrack to an afternoon of good times and friendship aboard the Proud Mary.

The Hurricanes set the tone right off the land with their new original tune, “La La Land,” a song about a special place or state of mind where people can forget about their troubles and daily hassles. The Hurricanes’ Blues Cruise was indeed such as place! The ‘Canes proceeded to mix good-time classic rock, blues and original songs; including numbers from Badfinger, Lynyrd Skynyrd, Pat Travers Band, their own soulful original favorite “Walking A Straight Line,” and – as the boat passed beneath the Route 994 overpass – the Jeff Clapper-crooned rendition of the Righteous Brothers’ “Unchained Melody.”

Midway through the voyage, The Red Arrow were welcomed up to the stage area to pick up instruments and continue the party. Singer Debbie Bush, guitarist Dick Kos, bassist “Big Jim” Ricotta and drummer Mike Crocetti kept the dancers and upper deck crowd happy with Richie Valens’ “La Bamba,” the Dick-sung merger of ZZ Top’s “La Grange” and Norman Greenbaum’s “Spirit in the Sky.” Deb then sung lead on Pat Benatar’s “Hit Me with Your Best Shot” and Led Zeppelin’s “Rock and Roll,” before Big Jim took over the lead mic on The Knack’s “My Sharona.”

The Hurricanes then returned and continued the merriment for the duration, this time doing tunes from Ted Nugent, Steppenwolf, the Allman Brothers and more. Two more guests graced the lead microphone before all was said and done; Jeff’s son, Ryan Clapper, joined his dad and the Hurricanes to sing their original tune “Free,” and Loren Johnson belted out the soulful lead on Bonnie Raitt’s “Something to Talk About.”

After the boat returned to port, the post-Cruise picnic gave the revelers the opportunity to kick back, enjoy more food and if needed, sober up, before departing from Raystown. Hamburgers and hot dogs on the grill were the primary cuisine at this point, plus some leftovers from before. Thanks again to Brian, most everybody left Raystown at the end of this day with stomachs full…I know I did!

Another good time was had by all. Thanks again to the Hurricanes for throwing this party for the fans!

Here are two videos from The Red Arrow’s performance:

http://www.rockpage.net/users/jprice/video/MOV00155.MPG

http://www.rockpage.net/users/jprice/video/MOV00156.MPG

Here is footage from the Hurricanes’ performance. Play one right after the other, as you’ll see that my camera got commandeered midway through the first video:

http://www.rockpage.net/users/jprice/video/MOV00158.MPG

http://www.rockpage.net/users/jprice/video/MOV00159.MPG

Bob Watters of the Hurricanes.

Hurricane Felix.

Jeff Clapper of the Hurricanes.

Hurricaniac Rose keeps Jeff company.

It’s a turtle on the deck of the Proud Mary!

The Hurricanes weren’t the only musicians enjoying an afternoon on the lake; Kent Martin had his boat out on Raystown as well.

Hurricanes and good times aboard the Proud Mary.

It looks like Loren and Donna are enjoying the Cruise!

Guv’nor Jesse busts some dance moves on the top deck.

Again, Felix Kos of the Hurricanes.

It’s another happy crowd aboard the Proud Mary!

Dick Kos of The Red Arrow.

Again, Dick Kos of The Red Arrow.

Mike Crocetti of The Red Arrow.

Again, Mike Crocetti of The Red Arrow.

The Red Arrow keeps them rocking on the top deck.

More of The Red Arrow.

Once again, Dick Kos of The Red Arrow.

Big Jim and Deb Bush of The Red Arrow.

More dance party mayhem with The Red Arrow.

Mike Crocetti and Big Jim of The Red Arrow.

Again, Deb Bush of The Red Arrow.

The Proud Mary approaches the Route 994 overpass.

Going under the bridge.

Touching base with the bridge.
Special guest singer, Loren Johnson.

Felix and Bob of the Hurricanes.

Again, Loren Johnson.

Bob, Loren and some dancers.

Once again, Hurricane Felix.

Once again, Hurricane Bob.

Son and father…Ryan and Jeff Clapper.

Again, Ryan Clapper.

Again, Ryan and Jeff.

Big Jim from the Red Arrow jams out in the crowd.

Hurricane Felix studies Big Jim’s string-bending abilities.

Again, Hurricane Felix and Big Jim.

Felix gives his sister a ride!

It’s a happy, dancing crowd as the Proud Mary pulls back into port.

FLIGHT 19 @ PELLEGRINE’S, ALTOONA 9/30/07

After returning to Altoona and winding down from the Blues Cruise, I headed to Pellegrine’s to finish out the weekend with a trip on the “party plane” courtesy of Flight 19.

I arrived midway through Flight 19’s first set, and attendance was on the light side early on. Most of the remainder of this set, the group was firing through an 80’s medley, stringing together tunes from Men Without Hats, Modern English, Soft Cell, Sly Fox and more.

After the first intermission, the flight crew of singer Brian Thomas, guitarists John McKelvey and Scott Imler, bassist Tim Kelly and drummer Darrin Hand resumed with the second set, starting with Seether’s “Remedy,” and continuing with hard-edged rockers from Toadies, Jet and Audioslave. The group then welcomed BluesMoon singer Trace Baker to the stage to wail out her powerful voice on Led Zeppelin’s “Rock and Roll.” The group then broke out The Clarks’ “Cigarette,” before John sang lead on Gary Numan’s “Cars.” Flight 19 kept things rocking the rest of the way with Kiss “I Was Made for Loving You,” the Romantics’ “What I Like About You,” Poison’s “Talk Dirty to Me,” and Billy Idol’s “Rebel Yell.”

Although not a big crowd in the house at Pelly’s this night, it apparently was a feisty crowd, evidenced by the brawl that erupted at the main bar just as Flight 19 commenced their nightcap set. Per legend, this was Flight 19’s “rite of acceptance” at Pellegrine’s; if a fight breaks out during your show, your band has been accepted by the Pelly’s crowd!

Flight 19 led off the final stage of their “party plane” journey with Saliva’s “Survival of the Sickest,” followed by Buckcherry’s “Crazy Bitch.” The group then shifted gears for a funk/dance medley, tying together numbers from the Commodores, Ohio Players, Tone Luc, the Gap Band and more. Next was a version of Maroon 5’s “Harder to Breathe,” before Scott demonstrated his polecat howl on AC/DC’s “Shoot to Thrill.” After road crew member Bob helped Brian on vocals during Drowning Pool’s “Bodies,” Flight 19 closed out the night with a new original tune, an anthemic rocker I didn’t catch the title of.

The “Party Plane’s” first voyage in Pellegrine’s in quite a while was a good time overall, even if there weren’t a lot of people on hand to enjoy it. It was good to see this band back in here on a Sunday night, and hopefully they’ll be frequenting this stage more in the coming months.

Trace Baker belts out some lead voice with Flight 19.

Again, Trace Baker with Flight 19.

Once again, Trace Baker – What a voice!

Trace Baker with Scott Imler of Flight 19.

John McKelvey and Brian Thomas of Flight 19.

Brian Thomas of Flight 19.

Darrin Hand of Flight 19.

John McKelvey of Flight 19.

Tim Kelly of Flight 19.

Again, Flight 19 rocks Pellegrine’s.

Scott Imler of Flight 19.

Having fun rocking and rolling, Tim Kelly of Flight 19.

Tim Kelly and Scott Imler of Flight 19.

More fun with Flight 19.

Again, Flight 19.

Again, Scott Imler of Flight 19.

Again, Brian Thomas of Flight 19.

Once again, Flight 19.

Some dance floor participants cheer on Flight 19.

JP’s HAIKU

Dirt Soldiers band fest
All day bands, dirt bikes and dust
Wild times in the hills!

http://pamusician.net
 Back to top »
Jim Price

Post Posted: Saturday Dec 19, 2009 

http://pamusician.net
 Back to top »
ROCKPAGE Forum Index » JP's Corner
Page 1 of 1