· The Final Cut
WEEKEND RECAP 10/8/07
ROCKPAGE Forum Index » JP's Corner
previous topic :: next topic  
Jim Price

Post Posted: Monday Mar 17, 2008 

WEEKEND RECAP 10/8/07

NOTHING SACRED @ ALDO’S, ALTOONA 10/4/07

After putting in a long evening at the workplace, I headed to Aldo’s to finish off the Thursday night with some unplugged punk, courtesy of Nothing Sacred.

A mid-sized crowd was on hand as Tim Mort and Tom Noel on guitars and Cheeze on vocals mixed acoustic originals and unplugged punk and classic numbers. The trio was into a rendition of Social Distortion’s “Ball and Chain” when I first arrived, with several ladies singing along up front. The three did several songs I didn’t readily recognized, including at least one Irish drinking ode (perhaps a Dropkick Murphys tune?). And with Tim and Cheeze delivering the classic line “Toss my salad and f**k off!,” the group finished off the night with their usual show-closer, their take on Prince’s “Purple Rain.”

Nothing Sacred played it all with a loose, fun vibe, and the audience seemed to enjoy it. It was good music to tip back a few brews to, and provided a satisfactory ending to the night.

POPTART MONKEYS @ THE ARENA, STATE COLLEGE 10/5/07

Although they had seen the departure of their last two founding members over the past year (bassist James Balogach to Shoot the Moon and drummer Rob Hampton to Rise Phoenix Rise), the Poptart Monkeys are still very much alive and well. They haven’t been in our neck of the woods much, but this night, they were in State College to play at The Arena, so I decided to pop in and see what they were up to.

The group was into their first intermission when I arrived, and it didn’t take too long for guitarist Chris Kurtz to recognize me and offer his greetings. After treating me to a Jager cough medicine shot at the bar (thanks!), Chris and the other Poptarts were ready to commence their second set of the night.

Now comprised of Chris and Matt Lytkowski on guitars, singer Tyson Clark, Mike Bass on bass (!) and drummer Jason Massey, the Poptart Monkeys still deliver bounce-off-the-walls energy, apparent from the get-go as they started the set with Buckcherry’s ever-popular “Crazy Bitch.” The Poptarts proceeded to mix 80's, 90's and current favorites with original songs; doing tunes from Poison, Bryan Adams, Green Day, 311, Elvis, Puddle of Mudd, Cheap Trick, Incubus, Mr. Big, Panic at the Disco, Lustra and more, along with original songs such as the older “La De Da,” “She Likes Girlz,” tunes from their latest CD Happily Never After and some newer numbers. This band proved early and often that they are still wild and crazy, delivering freewheeling, high-octane musical fun without ever taking themselves too seriously. Chris led the dance floor crowd on a singalong of Garth Brooks’ “Friends in Low Places,” and Tyson donned a big hair hat and wig for the 80’s double-shot of Poison’s “Talk Dirty to Me” and Bon Jovi’s “Living on a Prayer.” Not taking a second intermission and playing straight through to the end, the group took advantage of a bachelorette party in the house by welcoming the entourage and their toys onstage. The party drew to a close with the Tool double-shot of “Sober” into “Forty-Six and 2.”

This night reaffirmed that the Poptart Monkeys still deliver the exhaustive, happy-go-lucky good time. And with rumors of their demise circulating after James and Rob departed the band, this night slammed the exclamation point on the fact that the Poptart Monkeys are still very much alive and well.

Yours truly, celebrating with Matt Lytkowski and Chris Kurtz of the Poptart Monkeys.

The Poptart Monkeys, packing the dance floor at The Arena.

Again, The Poptart Monkeys.

Chris Kurtz of The Poptart Monkeys.

Tyson Clark of The Poptart Monkeys.

Celebrating the 80’s big hair era, Tyson Clark of The Poptart Monkeys.

Again, Tyson Clark and The Poptart Monkeys.

A member of the bachelorette entourage adds some bubbles to the Poptart Monkeys’ party.

Again, Chris Kurtz of The Poptart Monkeys.

Matt Lytkowski of The Poptart Monkeys.

Again, Matt Lytkowski of The Poptart Monkeys.

Matt Lytkowski and Mike Bass of the Poptart Monkeys.

Jason Massey of The Poptart Monkeys, packing the dance floor at The Arena.

Again, Jason Massey of The Poptart Monkeys.

Again, Chris Kurtz of The Poptart Monkeys.

One more time, Tyson Clark of the Poptart Monkeys.

BLUE NUMBER NINE @ BEDFORD FALL FOLIAGE FESTIVAL, BEDFORD 10/6/07

This weekend provided another fall festival tradition, the annual Bedford Fall Foliage Festival. Not following tradition, though, was the weather this weekend, with daytime high temperatures extending into the 80’s! It felt strange to be putting on summer shorts to attend this event!

Since I had an earlier obligation this day (broadcasting live from the Pennsylvania Giant Pumpkin Grower’s Association’s annual Pumpkin Weigh-Off at Sam’s Club), I couldn’t arrive at the Fall Foliage Festival until mid-afternoon. But the main musical entertainment I wanted to see this day was closing out the afternoon, anyway…New Jersey’s Blue Number Nine, making their first Fall Foliage Festival appearance. I arrived in time to catch their second of two sets, on the Festival’s riverside stage.

Blue Number Nine had a slightly different look this day. The group's core line-up of singer/flute player Stefanie Seskin, bassist Marco Accattatis, drummer Jack Gourdine and new guitarist Igor Fejzula was joined by backing singers Paul Munoz and Dara Seitzman, trombone player Kevin McManus, sax player Jason Mescia and State College's John "JT Blues" Thompson on keys. Blue Number Nine kicked off the set with the R&B-flavored “Know Who Your Friends Are,” and proceeded to deliver their pleasant, upbeat brand of pop, R&B and jazz grooves; combined with choreographed dance moves, instrumental fireworks, delectable three-part vocal harmonies and more. Highlights were plentiful, including original tunes such as “Me and You,” “On Our Way to You,” “You Don’t Judge Me,” and an extended version of the lively "Love the Beat," which showcased solo fireworks from all the instruments, plus Stefanie shaking off her shoes and dancing to the beat in the stagefront lawn! Blue Number Nine broke out one cover song during this set, a feisty read of Stevie Wonder’s “Superstition.”

These gals and guys sounded just fine! Their execution was tight and colorful, and “JT” fit in comfortably with the group like the seasoned pro that he is. The performance was bright and cheerful, and the vibe was infectious as the Bedford audience cheered louder and louder as the set progressed.

Blue Number Nine clearly made some new fans in the Bedford area this afternoon, as well as pleasing the Altoona fans who roadtripped in to see this show. Hopefully this will be the first of more Blue Number Nine sightings at this festival as well!

Here are videos from two songs during Blue Number Nine’s performance:

http://www.rockpage.net/users/jprice/video/MOV00160.MPG

http://www.rockpage.net/users/jprice/video/MOV00161.MPG

Paul Munoz, Dara Seitzman and Stefanie Seskin of Blue Number Nine.

Blue Number Nine’s guest keyboard man this day, State College’s own John “JT Blues” Thompson.

Kevin McManus of Blue Number Nine.

Blue Number Nine, making their debut at Bedford’s Fall Foliage Festival.

Stefanie Seskin of Blue Number Nine.

Again, Stefanie Seskin of Blue Number Nine.

Jason Mescia and Kevin McManus of Blue Number Nine.

Again, John “JT Blues” Thompson of Blue Number Nine.

Again, Blue Number Nine.

Again, Kevin McManus of Blue Number Nine.

Jack Gourdine of Blue Number Nine.

Jason Mescia of Blue Number Nine.

Again, JT Blues.

Marco Accattatis of Blue Number Nine.

Dara, Stefanie and Marco of Blue Number Nine.

Once again, Blue Number Nine.

Stefanie, Jason and Kevin of Blue Number Nine.

Once again, Stefanie Seskin of Blue Number Nine.

The two backing voices of Blue Number Nine, Paul Munoz and Dara Seitzman.

One more time, Paul, Dara and Stefanie of Blue Number Nine.

SERIOUS JONES @ THE ALLEY POPPER, HOUTZDALE 10/6/07

Seriously jonesing for a good rock’n’roll party after returning home from the Bedford Fall Foliage Festival, I decided to do another roadtrip, heading to Houtzdale this night to see the first visit of Clearfield’s Serious Jones to The Alley Popper.

A good-sized crowd was in the house as I arrived during the second set partying down with singer Dennis Wood, guitarists Tom Zattoni and Darren Elensky, keyboardist Rich “Doc” Horton, bassist Matt Hertwein and drummer/singer Calvin Walls as they mixed high-octane classic rocking favorites. The group was firing through Loverboy’s “Hot Girls in Love,” and continued with a more recent number, All-American Rejects’ “Dirty Little Secret.” The group then welcomed a guest, as soundman Darren Swanson went behind the drum kit for Night Ranger’s “Don’t Tell Me You Love Me.” Singer Dennis then recruited a lady from the dance floor to be the “cowbellist” during Blue Oyster Cult’s “Don’t Fear the Reaper,” followed by Darren Elensky fronting the group on Foreigner’s “Dirty White Boy.” Serious Jones then shifted gears to finish out the set, going Motown for the Temptations/Rare Earth’s “Get Ready,” which segued into Grand Funk’s “Some Kind of Wonderful.”

After a brief intermission, Serious Jones resumed the party with Journey’s “Separate Ways.” The dance floor quickly filled up as the group did Deadeye Dick’s “New Age Girl” and the Beatles’ “Birthday” (the latter in celebration of guitarist Tom’s birthday). Dennis then went behind the drum kit, freeing Calvin to front the band on an AC/DC medley comprised of “Dirty Deeds,” “TNT,” “Sin City” and “Highway to Hell.” Dennis then seitched to bass as Darren again sang lead on Kiss’ “I Was Made for Loving You.” The party continued with Neil Young’s “Rockin’ in the Free World” and Maroon 5’s “Harder to Breathe,” before Dennis did a poetry recital intro to Bon Jovi’s “You Give Love a Bad Name.” The party reached its crescendo as the group rocked the house with Def Leppard’s “Pour Some Sugar on Me,” the Refreshments’ “Banditos”-triggered take on Twisted Sister’s “We’re Not Gonna Take It,” and Van Halen’s “Panama” to wrap up the set. The amped-up Alley Popper crowd wasn’t ready to end the night yet, and quickly demanded more. Serious Jones answered the call and extended the party, finishing out the night with renditions of Jackyl’s “Down on Me” and the Beastie Boys’ “Fight For Your Right (to Party).”

Serious Jones again proved this night that they were serious musicians whose execution was tight and on the mark. But their mood was anything but serious, as they had fun and gave the audience a good time. Dennis playfully worked the crowd, often improvising and reacting on the fly to audience members’ cues and working them into the show. It all amounted to a feverish, rock’n’roll good time!

Serious Jones’ first Alley Popper visit was a successful one, and their return is likely. If you haven’t sampled this band’s party yet, you owe yourself the pleasure!

Tom Zattoni and Serious Jones seriously bring the party to the Alley Popper.

Stepping up front to sing some AC/DC, Calvin Walls of Serious Jones.

Calvin Walls and Serious Jones continue to fuel the dance floor party.

Rich “Doc” Horton of Serious Jones.

Dennis Wood and Darren Elensky of Serious Jones.

Darren Elensky of Serious Jones.

Back behind the drum kit, Calvin Walls of Serious Jones.

Again, Dennis Wood and Darren Elensky of Serious Jones.

Matt Hertwein and Dennis Wood of Serious Jones.

Matt and Darren of Serious Jones.

Serious Jones keeps the Alley Popper dance floor busy.

The Serious Jones dance floor party continues.

Again, Tom Zattoni of Serious Jones.

These two sisters wanted me to take their picture. Gladly!

A happy dance floor crowd at the Alley Popper.

This poster inside the Alley Popper men’s room got me laughing…perhaps because she loves it “soy” much.

DEB CALLAHAN BAND @ BEDFORD FALL FOLIAGE FESTIVAL, BEDFORD 10/7/07

With the weather still unseasonably summer-like and warm, I was back on the road this afternoon to the Bedford Fall Foliage Festival. This day, I was in the mood to take in some blues, courtesy of Philadelphia's Deb Callahan Band.

Experience at this festival has taught me that parking in downtown Bedford is a pain in the butt, so I again decided to part with five bucks and park at the Bedford County Fairgrounds and ride the shuttle bus in. After stepping off the bus, I walked to the Gazebo stage, where Deb Callahan and her band were performing, and stage emcee Dennie Huber was off to the side and doing up his ever-popular balloon creations for the kiddies.

The Deb Callahan Band was finishing up the first of two sets. Group namesake Deb is a feisty blues singer with a gritty and fiery vocal style in the tradition of Janis Joplin and Bonnie Raitt. Deb and her band; guitarist Allen James, bassist Garry Lee and drummer Doug Masters; did the songs “If Your Man Doesn’t Work Out” and “Low Down Dirty Blues,” before Deb broke out a Janis Joplin number, “One Good Man,” and an R&B-flavored number, “Homeless Child,” to cap the set.

The intermission provided me the opportunity to meet Deb and purchase one of her CD’s, and then head to the nearby Fall Foliage Festival food court to grab some grub. With the great weather, a multitude of people populated this festival, and there was some waiting in the food lines – especially the ice cream vendors!

I returned and reclaimed my hay bale seat (the seat of choice at this festival), and watched the Deb Callahan Band’s second set. Again, the group performed an assortment of bluesy original songs from Deb’s two CD’s, along with an interesting selection of cover material. After opening with “Voodoo Woman,” Deb and her band broke out Ray Charles’ “Hallelujah, I Love Her So,” followed by “Night Time is the Right Time.” Next was her original blues rocker, “Fat Cat,” followed by “Something Bad” from her first album, and “Leave the Blues Behind.” Next was a jazz-flavored arrangement on “I Don’t Need No Doctor,” followed by “Can’t Keep a Good Woman Down,” and Paul Butterfield’s “Lovin’ Cup” to close the set. When the Bedford audience demanded an encore, Deb and band responded with one more song, “Your Love is Slipping Away from Me.”

Deb Callahan and her band brought each song to life with ample soul and sass. Deb sang with soul and purpose, exuding confidence up front. Her band were excellent players, and several times during the performance were given the spotlight to show what they could do.

The Deb Callahan Band were clearly a hit with the Bedford audience. This show again proved that blues is a popular item at this festival. Hopefully we’ll see this band back this way again, and more blues at the Bedford Fall Foliage Festival in the years to come.

Here is footage from the Deb Callahan Band’s performance:

http://www.rockpage.net/users/jprice/video/MOV00162.MPG

The Deb Callahan Band.

Deb Callahan.

Again, Deb Callahan.

Again, the Deb Callahan Band.

Allen James of the Deb Callahan Band.

Again, Allen James of the Deb Callahan Band.

Doug Masters of the Deb Callahan Band.

Again, Doug Masters of the Deb Callahan Band.

Once again, Deb Callahan.

Garry Lee of the Deb Callahan Band.

One more time, the Deb Callahan Band.

Off to the side, Dennie Huber conducts balloon art business.

BAD DAZE @ PELLEGRINE’S, ALTOONA 10/7/07

After returning to the ‘Toona and serving my weekly “Backyard Rocker” duty (with Justin Mack and his buds in the studio), I headed to Pellegrine’s to finish off the weekend with Bad Daze.

Bad Daze had a slightly different look this night, as Kevin “ToonaRockGuy” Siegel was staffing the drum kit. Kevin, guitarist Kenny Murdick, bassist Paul Rainey and frontman Rob Carolus started their second set shortly after I arrived, commencing with Bush’s “Machinehead.” The group soon drew dancers and fans to the front of the stage as they lit up the house with tunes from Wheatus, Nickelback, Three Doors Down, Buckcherry, Blink 182, Def Leppard, Puddle Of Mudd and more. Late in the set, Eric Wertz climbed in behind the drum kit to provide the beats on Drowning Pool’s “Bodies.”

The nightcap set commenced with Godsmack’s “Keep Away,” and continued with rockers from Seether, Jimmy Eats World, Eminem, Rage, Fallout Boy, Metallica and Billy Idol, before drawing to a close with the Beastie Boys’ “Fight for Your Right (to Party).” When the Pelly’s crowd called for more, Bad Daze responded with Pantera’s “Walk” to close the night.

It was a typically strong Bad Daze performance, even with a different drummer supplying the beat. Kevin did a good job behind the kit, providing the appropriate percussive power to propel the tunes forward. Rob was out front and in the crowd, keeping people involved and interested in the onstage happenings. Old Skool’s guitar work was great as always, and Paul’s lean bass lines tied it all together.

Another weekend properly sent into the books…

Bad Daze brings another party to Pellegrine’s.

The dance floor party heats up for Bad Daze.

With “ToonaRockGuy” stepping out front to sing, Bad Daze.

Rob Carolus and Paul Rainey of Bad Daze.

Eric Wertz sits in behind the Bad Daze drum kit.

Again, Bad Daze with vocal assistance from Kevin Siegel.

Paul Rainey of Bad Daze.

Safely back in his domicile behind the Bad Daze drum kit, Kevin “ToonaRockGuy” Siegel.

Again, BadDazeRob and bassist_25.

Again, Paul Rainey of Bad Daze.

Again, Bad Daze Rob.

Kenny Murdick of Bad Daze.

Old Skooling the house on guitar, Kenny Murdick of Bad Daze.

Addressing his dance floor minions, Rob Carolus of Bad Daxe.

Tessa from City Limits takes a closer look at Old Skool’s stringbending skills.

Once again, Old Skool of Bad Daze.

With dancing ladies behind him, Kenny M<urdick of Bad Daze.

Once again, Bad Daze Rob.

Once again, Paul Rainey of Bad Daze.

Flanked by dancing ladies, Paul Rainey of Bad Daze.

JP’s HAIKU

Fall Foliage Fest
Blue Number Nine happy sounds
In summer-like heat!

http://pamusician.net
 Back to top »
Jim Price

Post Posted: Saturday Dec 19, 2009 

http://pamusician.net
 Back to top »
ROCKPAGE Forum Index » JP's Corner
Page 1 of 1