· The Final Cut
HALLOWEEN WEEK/WEEKEND RECAP PT. I 10/29/07
ROCKPAGE Forum Index » JP's Corner
previous topic :: next topic  
Jim Price

Post Posted: Thursday Mar 27, 2008 

HALLOWEEN WEEK/WEEKEND RECAP PT. I 10/29/07

BROKEN PONY @ THE HITCHING POST, ALTOONA 10/24/07

The Hitching Post returned to country this Wednesday night, as Broken Pony returned to the saddle to cook up some rural-flavored sounds. And again, I was there to check it out.

Broken Pony was performing to the beat of a different drummer this night. Regularly-scheduled drummer Tim Yingling was recuperating after going under the knife for hip replacement, and Les Beatty was filling in for him. In addition, regularly-scheduled guitarist Randy "Jackson" Rutherford was not available this night, so Tom Fronauer filled in for him. Pat McGinnis continued to play acoustic guitar and bass pedal, while Kim Metzger played pedal steel.

I arrived early in their final set of the night, as the assembled cast of Broken Pony was performing Carl Perkins' "Blue Suede Shoes," with Tom singing lead and a few folks doing their best bobby-soxing moves in front of the band. Pat then sang lead on the Fabulous Thunderbirds' "She's Tough," followed by a Nighthawks number. Tom then fronted the group on another early rock'n'roll number, Chuck Berry's "Johnny B. Goode," before Pat sang lead on Jerry Jeff Walker's "Up Against the Wall, Redneck Mother" and John Prine's "That's the Way That the World Goes 'Round." The group continued with Roger Miller's "King of the Road," the Rolling Stones' "Dead Flowers," Merle Haggard's "Mama Tried," Randy Newman's "Rider in the Rain," the traditional Old Crow Medicine Show-popularized "Wagon Wheel," and Stephen Stills' "Love the One You're With." The group then closed out the show with a traditional gospel/folk number, "Will the Circle Be Unbroken."

Even with this makeshift edition of the group, Broken Pony sounded tight and solid through it all; this seasoned cast of players knew their ways around their instruments, and showed it with a confident presentation. And again, Broken Pony's song selection was interesting, as they threw a few twists into their repertoire this night that I didn't expect. I'm realizing that I learn something new every time I see this band play, through their eclectic selection of wide-ranging song material.

Bottom line, the ribs were good, and the music was great! Broken Pony again showed that they are evolving into something quite special on the Hitching Post stage, and that their monthly performances are well worth experiencing. Needless to say, I'll be back for more!

Kim Metzger, Pat McGinnis and fill-in drummer Les Beatty of Broken Pony.

Broken Pony, with guests Les Beatty and Tom Fronauer.

Once again, Broken Pony.

WINE OF NAILS/J.D. RAU @ THE BREWERY, STATE COLLEGE 10/24/07

After departing the Hitching Post, I roadtripped to State College to witness the return of one of this area's most adventurous and inventive bands, Wine Of Nails. After separating for a few years to explore other projects, Wine Of Nails reconvened officially this night at The Brewery. The occasion was a kickoff party for Mad Muse Productions' upcoming Halloween presentation of The Rocky Horror Show, featuring Wine Of Nails performing the production's music.

As I got a late start from Altoona to attend this show, I arrived late during Wine Of Nails' performance. Now comprised of guitarist/singer John Charney, bassist Scott Jeffreys and drummer Dom Peruso; Wine Of Nails introduced some new and intriguing compositions. Although I only got to hear two of them in their entirety, what I heard seemed to pick up where the group left off following their last album, 2001's On and Beyond; displaying experimental, improvisational arrangements that dabbled in spacey, jazz, jam and funk/rock flavors, with unpredictable plot twists and surprises along the way. The group then finished up their set with a cover, doing The Cult's "She Sells Sanctuary" to close out their presentation. According to John, Wine Of Nails plans to record and release a new album in 2008; if what I heard this night was an indication, the new album should be another exciting and unpredictable adventure!

Wine of Nails, making their official comeback at The Brewery.

Again, Wine of Nails.

Following Wine Of Nails' set, J.D. Rau ("Frank'n'Furter" in Rocky Horror) performed an acoustic set, demonstrating a high-ranging voice of the Perry Farrell/Robert Plant variety as he did a selection of original songs and tunes from Led Zeppelin, Jeff Buckley, Silverchair and more. With a number of Rocky cast members in attendance, J.D. received supportive rounds of applause for his performance.

J.D. Rau.

For me, it was a rewarding close to the night. After seeing the return of The Grimm just weeks earlier, Wine Of Nails' comeback this night signified that two of this region's most adventurous bands are back in business, and I was anxious to hear what new creations they will dazzle us with in the months ahead.

CHRIS V. & THE STANLEY STREET BAND @ AL'S TAVERN, ALTOONA 10/25/07

After catching the latter portion of their show two weeks before, I arrived at Al's Tavern a little earlier this night to catch a more extended look at Chris V & the Stanley Street Band and find out more of what they're about.

I arrived at the end of their second set, in time to hear them do an original song. Intermission allowed me to order up one of Al's delicious menu items and chat with the band.

Soon Chris "V" Vipond on guitar and voice, Mike Stanley on bass and Mike Z on cajon started back into the music, kicking off with an original tune, I believe called "Do You Try." This was followed by a tune from Schoolhouse Rocks and Bob Dylan's "Tangled Up in Blue." Chris then introduced another original number carried over from his and Mike's Grade E stint, "Lucy." After another original tune, the group finished out their performance with the Rolling Stones' "Sympathy for the Devil," featuring Chris showing his harmonica abilities.

Like Grade E before them, Chris V & the Stanley Street Band demonstrated a freewheeling, unpredictable style and sound that blended elements of funk, rock, folk and Latin. Mike Z's cajon gives the sound a different dynamic from Grade E, and even seems to open the sound up to more possibilities. Their presentation was friendly, laid back and casual; as they had fun playing off one another and bantering with the small audience, and never took themselves too seriously.

This night gave me a better representation of what this group was about; I'll be back for future shows to see where this trio takes this new musical adventure.

Chris V. & the Stanley Street Band.

FLIGHT 19 @ THE HITCHING POST, ALTOONA 10/26/07

The weekend before Halloween had arrived for another year, and several Halloween-themed shows and parties were happening on the area music scene. This night, after workplace duties force me to put in a late one, I headed to The Hitching Post to catch one such Halloween celebration, with Flight 19 providing the tunes.

It was a festive and full house as I arrived during an intermission. At least a few Halloween costumes were in attendance, and Post main man Butch was serving up some complimentary chili, chips and other munchies. And then there was the McGillicuddy's Schnappes Ice Luge. Hitching Post barkeep, the ever-legendary Lovey, soon drafted me to take a ride on the luge. Thankfully, my camera didn't work during the first luge run, so I got to do a second for my own camera.See, being a paparazzi has its perks!

Yours truly, experiencing the McGillicuddy’s Ice Luge.

Bassist Tim Kelly informed me that Flight 19 frontman Brian Thomas had to exit early this night, so the group was going the rest of the way as a foursome. I hung out in the main bar room area and chatted with friends while Flight 19 started back into the music. Guitarists Scott Imler and John McKelvey split the vocal chores during this set, with Scott going first on Led Zeppelin's "Rock and Roll." John then did the honors on renditions of the Ramones' "I Wanna Be Sedated" and "Wild One," followed by Scott providing the high range on Led Zeppelin's "Immigrant Song." John again sang on Jimi Hendrix's "Fire" and The Troggs' "Wild Thing," before Scott did his best Jesse James Dupree polecat howl on Jackyl's "She Loves My C**k." A guest singer then fronted the band on the Clarks' "Cigarette," before light man Bob Cannistraci flexed his howl on Drowning Pool's "Bodies" to finish the set.

.And the night. I thought that Flight 19 would do another set, and moved myself out to the main band room, but Brian's absence brought this night to a relatively early close. So after chatting with band members and finishing off my brew, I called it an early night as well. Thanks to Lovey for the McGillicuddy's Ice Luge shots, and to Butch for the McGillicuddy's swag!

WHITE WITCH/44 MAG/LUCID @ CITY LIMITS, ALTOONA 10/27/07

City Limits was my destination this night for more Halloween-themed merriment. A multi-band bill was happening this night, organized and headlined by reunited Williamsport 80's rockers White Witch to celebrate the release of their new CD, Never Dies the Dream. Every person who paid cover at the door received a free copy of the new CD; not a bad deal! It seemed logical to go see a band with 'Witch' in their name during this Halloween season, and I was curious about the other bands on the bill as well.

One of those bands was supposed to be Pittsburgh blues rockers the Tony Mollick Project, reverting back to Tony's more metallic past for a special set of 80's metal. (Tony and his previous band, Maasaleum, used to share stages with White Witch during their first go-round in the 80's.) Unfortunately, though, tragedy struck the TMP family earlier this morning, when drummer David Blake's father-in-law was killed in a traffic accident. Consequently, TMP had to withdraw from the bill.

The night opened with Lucid from the Harrisburg area, making their first Altoona appearance. Five members strong and decked out in Halloween costumes, Lucid combined hard-edged alternative and melody-geared female-led modern rock into a fresh, interesting mix. Singer Holly displayed a clear and rangeful voice, and harmonized nicely with frontman Justin on several numbers, especially Evanescence's "Bring Me to Life." The rest of the group; guitarist Steve, bassist Mike and drummer Mike; provided tight, rigid backdrops behind the two singers on numbers from Smashing Pumpkins, Staind, Deftones, Green Day, Papa Roach, Local H, All-American Rejects and more.

Kicking off the evening’s music, Harrisburg’s Lucid.

In costume, Justin and Mike of Lucid.

Again, Lucid.

Holly and Justin of Lucid.

Steve of Lucid.

Again, Holly of Lucid.

After a changeover intermission, Williamsport's 44 Mag took the stage. This band in a word - METAL! Five members strong, 44 Mag scalded the walls with their blend of scathing heavy metal original songs and covers. Opening with White Zombie's "Thunder Kiss '65," singer Chad Warren, guitarists Josh Welteroth and Drew Lomison, bassist Jason Miller and drummer Jesse Roedts showcased a series of scathing original assaults from their new CD Past Sins, before breaking out familiar metal numbers to close out their set, including Metallica's "Four Horsemen," Pantera's "Cowboys From Hell," Iron Maiden's "The Trooper" and Black Sabbath's "War Pigs." 44 Mag was convincing on all of it, with pounding rhythms and tight execution providing the backdrop for Chad's scathing head howl. I was impressed with this band as well, and hope that their first Altoona visit won't be their last.

Making their Altoona debut, Williamsport’s 44 Mag.

Again, 44 Mag.

Chad Warren of 44 Mag.

Jesse Roedts of 44 Mag.

Once again, 44 Mag.

Drew Lomison of 44 Mag.

From another angle, 44 Mag.

Josh Welteroth of 44 Mag.

Again, Jesse Roedts of 44 Mag.

Again, Josh Welteroth of 44 Mag.

Since none of these three bands had played in Altoona before, and the most familiar name on the bill from a local standpoint had withdrawn, I was fearing an empty house for this show. Although City Limits wasn't anywhere close to filled this night, at least a few people came out to see some new bands and/or collect their free copy of White Witch's new CD. And a few were out simply to celebrate Halloween as well, including a wild-looking Gumby that arrived during 44 Mag's set.

Gumby arrives at City Limits.

Gumby does a Jello shot.

Gumby with USO servicewoman accomplice Betty. Gumby makes a good shelf for setting drinks.

Gumby gets accosted by Jesse Skywalker and his light saber.

Erik and Jason attempt to subdue drunken Jedi Jesse Skywalker.

Soon, headliners White Witch completed the celebration with their own set. Not surprisingly, White Witch showcased hard-hitting songs from Never Dies the Dream, doing such numbers as "Slaughter in Salem," "Game That I Play," "Singleman," their remake of Black Sabbath's "Paranoid" and "Street Corner Madness." White Witch also did songs off their previous CD The Power such as the set-opening title cut, "Marrianne," "The Crutch" and "25 Hours to Live." They also threw in select songs from Ozzy Osbourne, Judas Priest and Alice Cooper. White Witch delivered the goods on their brand of 70's/80's-flavored heavy rock, with drummer Carl Berry and new bassist Bill Zimmerman anchoring the sound with pounding, thunderous rhythms; guitarist Doug Lehman executing sharp, searing leads; and frontman "Uncle Jeff" Pittinger confidently singing his words, marauding the stage and offering color commentary between songs. Although the crowd wasn't large, at least a few people were into White Witch's rock, and headbanged and cheered approval along the way. And Guv’nor Jesse Skywalker got into a light saber duel with the lady photographing White Witch!

White Witch only performs a few times a year, and when they do, they do it up big! This combo CD-release bash and Halloween party was an overall good time, introducing those in attendance to three exciting bands. Hopefully we will see more area visits from all three in the months ahead.

White Witch, celebrating the release of their new CD.

Doug Lehman and Jeff Pittinger of White Witch.

White Witch’s new bassist, Bill Zimmerman.

Doug Lehman and Bill Zimmerman of White Witch.

Again, Bill Zimmerman of White Witch.

Jeff Pittinger of White Witch.

Again, Bill Zimmerman of White Witch.

Carl Berry of White Witch.

Again, Doug Lehman of White Witch.

Gumby steps up to the stage to check out White Witch.

Gumby takes a closer look at Doug Lehman’s guitar skills.

Jesse Skywalker brandishes light saber before White Witch.

Again, Jeff Pittinger of White Witch.

Once again, Doug Lehman of White Witch.

Again, Doug Lehman and Jeff Pittinger of White Witch.

FELIX & THE HURRICANES HALLOWEEN BLUES CRUISE, LAKE RAYSTOWN 10/28/07

Alas, the outdoor season was winding down for another year. Fall weather and temperatures had finally taken over after an unseasonably warm early autumn spell. Things were starting to head back indoors for the cold winter ahead. In this region, one final outdoor blowout remained, courtesy of Felix & the Hurricanes. The Halloween Blues Cruise was happening this day aboard the Proud Mary on Lake Raystown.

While last year's Blues Cruise was a cold one, this year's wasn't bad temperature-wise, with forecasted highs in the 50's. As usually happens, the Blues Cruise festivities kicked off with another pre-Cruise picnic, with maitre D Brian again presenting an excellent food spread, including chili, wings, pasta, beans and other great edibles; again assuring that everyone had a full stomach before boarding the boat.

The Cruise itself was again a fun bash. The crowd was enjoying one last day on the lake for the year, so the mood was laid-back and casual. There were several costumed crazies on board, including a huge qualude, a fat woman who sat down on her doggy, Beetlejuice and more. The Hurricanes started with lead 'Cane Felix baptizing the Cruise virgins on board, before he, Bob and Jeff kicked off the music with Stevie Ray Vaughan's "Pride and Joy." Keeping with the Halloween theme, the group did the Classics IV's "Spooky," and continued with their tasty mix of original tunes and classic rock, blues and country favorites. The tempo steadily increased as the upper deck in front of the stage filled with happy dancers. The pristine autumn crisp in the air and the colorful foliage on the hillside overlooking the lake contributed to the good-time mood of the Cruise, and the vibe was a little bit sad when the boat finally returned to dock, as everybody realized that this was the end of outside fun in the sun until next year.

After the Cruise, a post-picnic closed the festivities, as revelers got some last grub into their systems before the nighttime temperature cooled off and folks began to depart.

My Blues Cruise trifecta was complete. It was another great afternoon. Thanks again to Felix & the Hurricanes for putting these fun afternoons together.And count me in for next year!

Here are two videos from the Halloween Blues Cruise festivities:

http://www.rockpage.net/users/jprice/video/MOV00183.MPG

http://www.rockpage.net/users/jprice/video/MOV00184.MPG

With the outdoor season ending, Guv’nor Jesse decided to give one of his early 70’s model Cadillacs one more spin to attend the Blues Cruise. The Caddy was so big, though, Jesse parked it with the boats!

The Halloween Blues Cruise sets sail (?) on Lake Raystown.

Felix & the Hurricanes, Blues Cruisin’ it one more time in 2007.

Hurricane Felix.

Again, Felix Kos of the Hurricanes.

Guv’nor Jesse poses in front of the Hurricanes.

Several Hurricaniacs congregate around bassist Jeff Clapper.

Once again, it’s good times on the upper deck of the Proud Mary.

Beetlejuice, having a good time during the Hurricanes’ Blues Cruise.

Tina, Michelle and Rockpage Ron were all part of the Blues Cruise party!

Uh oh! There’s a lost puppy aboard the Proud Mary!

I think we found it!

When Speedy Alka-Seltzer turns bad…He becomes a huge qualude!

A dancing qualude…I think he used to be a member of The Tubes.

Even a wayward qualude deserves some company during a Hurricanes Blues Cruise!

More Blues Cruisin’ fun!

Happy folks enjoying Hurricanes, friends and fall foliage on board the Proud Mary.

A look at the fall foliage along Lake Raystown.

Bob Watters and Jeff Clapper of the Hurricanes.

The party continues as the sun begins to set on Lake Raystown.

It’s the twilight of another Hurricanes Blues Cruisin’ season.

HEAD PLUG @ PELLEGRINE'S, ALTOONA 10/28/07

My weekend came to a close at Pellegrine's, where a new band was in town this night, Head Plug.

I arrived during Head Plug's second set. From Hazleton, this four-piece mixed current and 90's rock, doing songs from Stone Temple Pilots, Ramones, James, Weezer, Blink 182, Korn and Rage Against the Machine. Although I saw part of this set up close, I spent a lot of this set in the rear room near the door watching Guv'nor Jesse's DVD of the week. But with the group going on break at 12:50 AM, I figured I would get to witness at least a 30-40 minute final set and get a good look at them.

The intermission lasted...50 minutes! When the group did return to the stage, they did all of two songs, a Rage number and an original, before the clock hit the 2 AM mark and the night was done. I heard a number of people complain about this, and I was perplexed as to why a band would take this long a break during their first night in a new room.

Before leaving Pellegrine's, though, I learned that there was a reason. Apparently Head Plug's singer had taken ill at the end of the second set, and could not proceed. The group handed out free copies of their EP to the remaining patrons in the house to make up for the long intermission and lack of a third set. Unfortunately, they probably would have cut their losses had they announced the problem earlier, rather than waiting 50 minutes and not saying anything. The damage was likely done, and at least for a few folks this night, Head Plug's first foray into Altoona had gotten off on the wrong foot. Whether or not they will get a second chance at this venue remains to be seen.

Since the band took a 50-minute intermission, we were left with Jesse Skywalker to amuse us out by Pellegrine’s rear entrance area.

Jesse’s fancy light-saber twirling talents.

Challenger Lynn is game for a light-saber duel with the beer-drinking Jedi.

Trying to lift Lynn’s skirt with the light-saber…That’s improper use of the Force! Yoda would be very displeased...

Lynn goes on the offensive.

The light-saber duel intensifies.

Jesse takes on Tony the doorman. Note the Star Trek DVD menu on the video screen.

JP's HAIKU

Party Plane at Post
Minus Brian the pilot
JP rides Ice Luge!

http://pamusician.net
 Back to top »
Jim Price

Post Posted: Saturday Dec 19, 2009 

http://pamusician.net
 Back to top »
ROCKPAGE Forum Index » JP's Corner
Page 1 of 1