· The Final Cut
WEEKEND RECAP 11/12/07
ROCKPAGE Forum Index » JP's Corner
previous topic :: next topic  
Jim Price

Post Posted: Thursday Apr 03, 2008 

WEEKEND RECAP 11/12/07

CHRIS V. & THE STANLEY STREET BAND @ AL’S TAVERN 11/8/07

After logging another late Thursday night at the workplace, I finished off the night at Al’s Tavern, where I enjoyed more of Al’s tasty cuisine and the tail end of the semi-monthly shindig thrown by Chris V. & the Stanley Street Band.

It was a bit of a slow night as I arrived, and thus, the band was already in the final stages of their performance and starting to wind it down for the night. Still, I did get to hear singer/guitarist Chris Vipond, bassist/singer Mike Stanley and cajon man Mike Z do three original songs: “Pass Me By,” “Shine” and “Okay.” The group then finished the night with their spin on the Rolling Stones’ “Sympathy for the Devil.”

What I heard sounded good. Chris, Mike and Mike were clearly on the same page and having fun, and the small audience of onlookers were appreciative of their efforts. And it made good dinner time music to savor my favorite Al’s sandwich, “Al’s hooter”…with the fried egg!

PA MUSICIAN 25TH ANNIVERSARY PARTY @ GULLIFTY’S UNDERGROUND, CAMP HILL 11/9/07

Pennsylvania Musician Magazine celebrated a quarter century of service to the state’s music community this night with an 25th anniversary gala at Gullifty’s Underground in Camp Hill. For such a momentous milestone in the magazine’s history, I needed to be there, and a roadtrip to the Harrisburg neck of the woods was in order.

Leaving directly from work, I arrived just as the party was getting started, and magazine founder Whitey Noll was on the stage to kick things off. Armed with his trusty ukulele, Whitey opened up the evening strumming a selection of original and classic folk tunes, accompanied several times by David Greene on acoustic guitar. Whitey greeted and chatted it up with the audience along the way, thanking family and friends, and breaking the ice with the arriving Gullifty’s audience.

After Whitey’s set, his wife, editor Robin Noll, and yours truly presented several awards to various folks who had helped out the magazine over the years. Robin even surprised me with my own award!

Next was the first full band of the night, Wilkes-Barre’s X-Terra. I was curious to see what this group was about after hearing several of their studio albums. X-Terra performed a set that combined heavy-rocking original songs with select 70’s-era classics. Lead singer/guitarist Bill Hunt, bassist/singer Anne Kachline and drummer Bob Kachline performed several songs from their new X-Nihilo album such as the anthemic “I Will Survive,” “Feather Tank” and “Don’t Knock the Rock;” and acknowledged their 70’s roots with renditions of Black Sabbath’s “Children of the Grave” and Bob Seger’s “Turn the Page.” They finished the set with a message song from their previous album Wolves, called “Calm Before the Storm.” I was impressed with this veteran line-up’s tightness, and Bill displayed some blistering lead guitar work.

X-Terra takes the stage at Gullifty’s.

Again, X-Terra.

Bill Hunt of X-Terra.

Bob Kachline of X-Terra.

Anne Kachline of X-Terra.

Once again, X-Terra.

Again, Bill Hunt of X-Terra.

One more time, X-Terra.

Harrisburg’s Drop Of Grey soon took the stage. I saw this group back in February at the Millennium Music Conference, then performing under their previous monicker, Disengaged. As they did then, Drop Of Grey this night demonstrated their brand of aggressive, hard-hitting modern rock. Guitarists Ben Rider and Clint Goldschmidt, drummer Ryan Kiscaden and bassist Glenn Kitch generated stern, rigid, hard-rocking backdrops, serving as the launching pad for the commanding and powerful vocals of singer Eric Musser. Drop Of Grey’s fast-firing original songs, offering interesting melodies, rhythmic and tempo variations, quickly brought fans and audience members to the dance floor to cheer and rock along. I didn’t catch much in the way of song titles, except for the set opener “Ungrateful,” “Last” and the set-closer “Waiting.”

Here is footage from Drop of Grey’s performance:

http://www.rockpage.net/users/jprice/video/MOV00194.MPG

Rachel Rocks from Pennsylvania Musician introduces Drop Of Grey.

Drop Of Grey rocks the house at Gullifty’s.

Ryan Kiscaden of Drop Of Grey.

Drop Of Grey and some rowdy fans at Gullifty’s.

Ben Rider of Drop Of Grey.

Eric Musser and Clint Goldschmidt of Drop Of Grey.

Glenn Kitch and Clint Goldschmidt of Drop Of Grey.

With a festive fan onstage, Drop Of Grey.

More rowdy times with Drop Of Grey.

Eric Musser of Drop Of Grey.

Again, Drop Of Grey.

Drop Of Grey draws some cheering fans onto the dance floor at Gullifty’s.

After another short changeover intermission, the final band of the evening, Asking Andy, was set to go. Asking Andy picked up the party and ran with it, delivering a high-energy mix of current and classic rocking favorites. The fun was constant, with singer Keith Hoppes taking the party throughout the room and involving everybody in the show, especially my writing cohort Rachel Rocks, who was even brought onstage to help sing along and log some quality moments with an inflatable sheep! Keith, guitarists Brian Miller and Darrell Adams, bassist Justin Shaffer and drummer Luke Barnhart kept the music and action nonstop, fueling constant dance floor activity to the end with favorites from Greenday, the Ramones, Wild Cherry, Romantics, Buckcherry, Lustra, Journey and more. I was impressed with the band as a whole, but especially took note of drummer Luke this night – this guy is a beast behind the kit, he was pounding the living splinters out of the thing! Asking Andy’s freewheeling rocking party is clearly on the rise; watch for it in your neighborhood soon!

Here is footage from Asking Andy’s performance:

http://www.rockpage.net/users/jprice/video/MOV00199.MPG

Brian Miller of Asking Andy.

Keith Hoppes of Asking Andy.

Brian Miller and Justin Shaffer of Asking Andy.

Asking Andy triggers dance floor action at Gullifty’s.

Keith Hoppes of Asking Andy.

Darrell Adams of Asking Andy.

Darrell and Brian of Asking Andy.

Again, Asking Andy’s guitar tandem of Brian Miller and Darrell Adams.

Breaking out the inflatable sheep, Keith Hoppes of Asking Andy.

Keith Hoppes of Asking Andy, Rachel Rocks and an inflatable sheep…Is something dastardly afoot?

Keith of Asking Andy pays Robin of Pennsylvania Musician a visit.

Brian Miller of Asking Andy gets cozy with a fan.

Again, Asking Andy.

Luke Barnhart of Asking Andy.

More dance floor fun with Asking Andy.

Keith Hoppes of Asking Andy gets some vocal assistance from Rachel Rocks.

Rachel Rocks with Darrell of Asking Andy.

One more time, Asking Andy.

It was a memorable night for the Pennsylvania Musician family, and a fun time. Whitey said afterward that it was one of the most rewarding evenings of his life, as friends old and new came out to congratulate him and Robin on their 25 years of service to the local music community. I saw a number of Harrisburg area friends as well, including Crazy John Kerecz from Old Schoolhouse Radio, Tina Marie from Deja Vudoo and Filth and Mal Havock from 7th Layer. I also saw Randy, who I first met in Spring ‘06 in the front row of the Uli Roth concert at Jaxx in Springfield, VA! It was good music and good times! Thanks to Gullifty’s for the food, brew and hospitality; and to everybody who came out to help us celebrate!

Enjoying themselves on this milestone evening, Robin and Whitey Noll of Pennsylvania Musician.

A display of Pennsylvania Musician memorabilia, including photos and this display of past covers from the magazine, was set up at Gullifty’s during the evening.

Some of the photos on display…

NAKED BEGGARS/FUNNY MONEY @ MOJO’S, CLEARFIELD 11/10/07

Robin and Whitey hooked me up with overnight hotel accommodations in Camp Hill following the Pennsylvania Musician anniversary party. (Thanks!) After awakening, checking out of the hotel and doing breakfast with the magazine’s First Couple at the neighborhood Camp Hill Eat N Park, I spent this Saturday checking out the National Civil War Museum near downtown Harrisburg. The Museum was doing a special Veteran’s Day promotion, and was offering free admission all weekend, with Army National Guard units displaying vehicles and equipment outside the museum, and various other patriotic-geared promotions taking place. I definitely recommend checking this museum out if you get an opportunity; I found it very fascinating and informative. How fascinating, you ask? When you first start touring the Museum, a note at the beginning advises that you will want to spend at least 2 hours checking it out. I was there for 4 hours! Along with stationary exhibits depicting various aspects of the Civil War, there are also video screen presentations along the way, including an ongoing series of vignettes of various characters from the Civil War era, including a Negro slave who escapes to the North and fights for the Union, while his wife continues to work for her master and wonders if she’ll ever see her husband again; also soldiers on both the Union and Confederate sides, a Washington newspaper editor who is at first very critical of President Lincoln but who ultimately comes to respect him; and more. There was also a series of video presentations with a narrator, describing the various key battles of the Civil War and the role that each served in the overall campaign. It’s definitely a rewarding way to spend an afternoon if you’re in the Harrisburg area!

I then left the Museum when it closed at 5 PM, and hit the road towards home. The game plan wasn’t to head home, though. For the first time ever, I stopped and dined at Miller’s Diner along Route 22 near Mill Creek, and then continued on to Mojo’s in Clearfield to enjoy a special double-bill of two bands with ties to the 80's, Funny Money and Naked Beggars. A good-sized crowd was already in place as I arrived and procured a vacant seat back at Mojo’s main bar.

Nashville's Naked Beggars, featuring Cinderella's Eric Brittingham on bass, opened the night with straight-up-the-gut rock'n'roll, fronted by the feisty stage presence of Eric's wife, lead singer Inga Brittingham. Kris Casamento still plays guitar, and the group has a new drummer since I last saw them, Lisa Rav. The Naked Beggars introduced several songs from their forthcoming new album, XXX, and played established favorites from their first two albums such as the title track from Spit It Out and "Bitch" from the first album. The group also performed some classics, including Tesla’s “Love Song,” the Rolling Stones’ “You Can’t Always Get What You Want,” another Tesla number, “What You Give,” and the Black Crowes’ “She Talks to Angels.” Naked Beggars’ performance was strong all-around, and Inga again demonstrated her confidence, poise, personality and stage presence throughout the set; she seemed perfectly at home with microphone in hand and entertaining the audience. It was a fun, good-time rock’n’roll set that established Naked Beggars’ classic roots, and set the festive mood of the evening for Funny Money’s set to follow.

Kris Casamento and Inga Brittingham of Naked Beggars.

Inga brings Mojo’s main man Eric Porter on stage to help with percussion.

Kris, Inga and Eric.

Again, Inga Brittingham of Naked Beggars.

With the full band back on stage, Naked Beggars.

Eric Brittingham of Naked Beggars.

Once again, Inga Brittingham of Naked Beggars.

Again, Eric Brittingham of Naked Beggars.

One more time, Naked Beggars.

Funny Money, now featuring two Kix alumni in singer Steve Whiteman and drummer Jimmy Chalfant, soon took the stage and continued the party with their own fiery and fun rock, mixing Funny Money originals with Kix classics. Steve, Jimmy, bassist Mark Schenker and guitarist Rob Halpin introduced upbeat, rocking tunes from Funny Money's new CD, Stick It, such as “About Women” and “Play Me Like a Rhythm;” established Funny Money favorites like “You Rub Me the Right Way;” and numerous Kix hits like “Sex,” “Poison,” “Cold Blood,” “Blow My Fuse,” “Don’t Close Your Eyes,” “Cold Shower,” “The Itch;” and for the night-ending encore, “She Dropped Me the Bomb,” “Midnite Dynamite” and “Girl Money.” The band was sharp and high-powered, keeping the show clicking along at an exhaustive pace. I was amazed with Steve’s energy; this man hasn’t lost a step since the first time I saw him with Kix in 1983! He still has an amazing voice, plus his gift of gab, as he frequently addressed the crowd between songs in his own sassy style. Funny Money’s energy and enthusiasm was infectious; and the Mojo’s crowd didn’t want this part to end!

Steve Whiteman of Funny Money.

Funny Money fires up the party at Mojo’s.

Again, Steve Whiteman of Funny Money.

Rob Halpin of Funny Money.

Steve and Funny Money get the stagefront fans fired up.

Mark Schenker of Funny Money.

Again, Mark Schenker of Funny Money.

Once again, Funny Money and the crowd.

Steve Whiteman and Rob Halpin of Funny Money.

Again, Mark Schenker of Funny Money.

Again, Steve, Rob and the Mojo’s stagefront crowd.

Mark Schenker and Rob Halpin of Funny Money.

Jimmy Chalfant of Funny Money.

Once again, Steve Whiteman of Funny Money.

The party continues with Funny Money.

Again, Rob Halpin of Funny Money.

Yet again, Funny Money.

Once again, Rob Halpin of Funny Money.

Again, Jimmy Chalfant of Funny Money.

Yet again, Steve Whiteman of Funny Money.

With dollar signs in his eyes, Steve Whiteman of Funny Money.

It was clear from the start that both Naked Beggars and Funny Money were there to give the Clearfield crowd the best rock’n’roll good time they could, and both bands freely mingled with the crowd throughout the night. Any rock star egos were checked at the door; both bands appreciated their audience and fans, and were there to have a good time with the people who paid cover to see them – very cool! This was a fun show and well worth my long roadie from the state’s capitol to check it out; here’s hoping both bands do another get-together like this in our region sometime soon!

THE MARAUDERS/OCTOBER ALLIED/THE REGRETTES @ ALDO’S, ALTOONA 11/11/07

Aldo’s doesn’t usually run bands on Sundays, but they did this night. This special Sunday night triple-bill featured The Regrettes, October Allied and The Marauders.

I had hoped to catch my first look at new local all-female rockers The Regrettes, but “Backyard Rocker” duties prevented me from catching their opening set. Eyewitness accounts were favorable, though, so hopefully I’ll catch another performance soon.

I did arrive in time to see the second band, October Allied. From Oakland, California, October Allied features former area musician Scott Quay of Necracedia fame on lead vocals and guitar, Greg Stults on guitar and vocals, Robert Meade on bass and vocals, and Rich Herr on drums. Their sound offered a unique fusion of vintage roots rock/rockabilly, R&B and punk, as they played a selection of original songs and select roots-flavored versions of songs from The Pogues, Misfits, Buddy Holly and more. Among the original songs were several from their CD Point Me South, including “Chicken Little,” “Bad Old Days” and “New Boot Screw.” Those who remember Scott’s thrash/punk days in Necracedia years ago may be surprised to hear his current sound, as he has evolved into a rangeful singer with soul and grit. October Allied offered a tasty mix of sounds, and the Aldo’s audience cheered enthusiastically as their set progressed.

October Allied, making their first Altoona appearance at Aldo’s.

Scott Quay of October Allied.

Again, October Allied.

Soon after October Allied finished, The Marauders closed out the night with their high-octane brand of roots-flavored rock. Singer/guitarist Ben Dumm, upright bass player Chris Lawson and drummer Abe Weber executed like a well-tuned machine, firing off their arsenal of original roots-rock songs at a brisk clip that kept the large stagefront audience rocking and grooving til the end. The Marauders played many tunes from their catalog, including the set opener “Hell on High Heels,” “Oh My My,” “My Revolver,” “Late Night Livin,’” “Kill Pop Radio,” “She Put a Curse on Me,” “Rhythm Fix,” “New Tattoo,” “Johnny Don’t Like It (When You Call Him Elvis),” the Brian Setzer-penned “We Are the Marauders” and more. The set closed on a high note when Scott Quay joined the group to sing lead on the set-closing rendition of the Misfits’ “Astrozombies.” When the crowd demanded an encore, The Marauders responded with a brand new original song, “Dead End Town.”

It was a rowdy, roots-rocking good time, and the large Aldo’s crowd clearly enjoyed it.

Abe Weber of The Marauders.

Ben Dumm of The Marauders.

Chris Lawson and Ben Dumm of The Marauders.

Scott Quay of October Allied joins the Marauders onstage during “Astrozombies.”

Again, Scott Quay.

Ben Dumm and Scott Quay.

A crowd at the front of the stage watches as The Marauders and guest Scott Quay perform.

BAD DAZE @ PELLEGRINE’S, ALTOONA 11/11/07

Since the Aldo’s triple bill finished at around 12:30, there was still quality live music party time to be enjoyed, and I headed across the railroad tracks to Pellegrine’s to catch Bad Daze’s last set.

Bad Daze kicked into their nightcap set shortly after I arrived. They kept Pelly’s dance floor busy with favorites from Nickelback, Wheatus, Green Day, Def Leppard, Billy Idol, Blink 182 and more. Band and crowd were partying hard and hearty, enough so that the crowd demanded one more song at set’s end. Bad Daze answered them and finished the night with Pantera’s “Walk.”

Another weekend in the books, and once again, a good night and weekend ended with Bad Daze.

Kenny Murdick and Rob Carolus of Bad Daze.

Kenny, Rob and Paul of Bad Daze.

Again, Bad Daze.

Again, Rob Carolus of Bad Daze.

Back to offering Snickers to fans, Rob Carolus of Bad Daze.

Again, Kenny Murdick of Bad Daze.

Some ladies party down onstage with Bad Daze.

Eric Wertz of Bad Daze.

JP’s HAIKU

Quarter century
PA Musician party
Thanks Whitey, Robin!

http://pamusician.net
 Back to top »
Jim Price

Post Posted: Saturday Dec 19, 2009 

http://pamusician.net
 Back to top »
ROCKPAGE Forum Index » JP's Corner