· The Final Cut
WEEK/WEEKEND RECAP 11/19/07
ROCKPAGE Forum Index » JP's Corner
previous topic :: next topic  
Jim Price

Post Posted: Friday Apr 04, 2008 

WEEK/WEEKEND RECAP 11/19/07

BLUEGRASS JAM @ THE HITCHING POST, ALTOONA 11/14/07

Able to complete my workplace duties fairly early this evening, I headed to the Hitching Post for some tasty ribs and bluegrass, the latter served up during the John Stevens-hosted monthly Bluegrass Jam night.

A number of musicians were in the house and taking part this month, including the usual suspects like jam organizer John Stevens on dobro on vocals, Mt. City Grass first couple Denny and Katie Cerully, Sav Sankaran, and several other participants. The music was constant, as various combinations of these players tackled traditional bluegrass numbers such as “Sittin’ on Top of the World,” “Hot Corn Cold Corn,” “Roll in My Sweet Baby’s Arms,” “Don’t Let the Deal Go Down,” “Walk Softly on this Heart of Mine,” “Mountain Dew” and more. Towards the end of the jam, an interesting highlight was the arrival of Randy “Jackson” Rutherford, who tried his hand at bluegrass by playing guitar on “Ridin’ on that New River Train.”

It was fun watching these various combinations of musicians match wits on their instruments and have fun. And as a friend and I sat and ate ribs and wings (I ate ribs, she got wings), we started penning our own cheesy bluegrass lyrics. (Songsmith, you can inquire about our lyrics for “Chicken, Wine and Ribs,” but we want royalties if it scores in the hit parade!). Cheap thrills on a Wednesday night…

It’s another bluegrass jamming good time at the Hitching Post.

DICK SHACK POSSE/WITHOUT ZERB @ ALDO’S, ALTOONA 11/16/07

This night was a no-brainer for me, as two new bands I had yet to see – Dick Shack Posse and Without Zerb – were making their first appearances at Aldo’s. I was there!

Of course, workplace duties gave me a late start, so I missed most of the first band, Dick Shack Posse. A collaboration of longtime friends from the local punk and underground scenes, Dick Shack Posse celebrates classic old-school punk from names like Agnostic Front, the Misfits, Sex Pistols, The Clash, The Exploited, Bad Religion and more. Scoob Lanzendorfer sings lead vocals, flanked by guitarists Jeff Reid and Brian Weibley, Andrea Weibley on bass and Dustin Lanzendorfer on drums. Although I only got to witness the last two songs of their set, Dick Shack Posse sounded strong; their presentation was fast, proud and slamming!

Reuniting former Carbon 14 singer Brian “Zerb” Zerbee and guitarist P.J. Kelly, with Chuck on bass and Mike on drums; Without Zerb continued with one lengthy set that featured a high-powered blend of rock and alternative numbers from the 80’s and 90’s. Their setlist included some interesting highlights, including a rocked-up Backstreet Boys hit, tunes from Jimmy Eats World, Helmet, Supersuckers, Police, The Cure, R.E.M., Greg Kihn Band, Men At Work, Social Distortion, Jane’s Addiction, Judas Priest, Bon Jovi, the Doors, Johnny Cash, original songs and more. Without Zerb delivered the songs with ample velocity and enthusiasm; the band was slamming, and frontman Zerb was clearly happy to be back onstage and singing again! The Aldo’s crowd was clearly happy to see him back on stage, as the dance floor stayed busy for much of the rest of the night.

This was a fun show that served notice about two new and exciting area bands. At least based on what I witnessed, both Dick Shack Posse and Without Zerb should be rising forces on area stages in the coming months.

Without Zerb, making their Aldo’s debut.

Again, Without Zerb.

Zerb…of Without Zerb.

P.J. Kelly of Without Zerb.

With Zerb, Without Zerb.

Mike of Without Zerb.

Again, Zerb of Without Zerb.

Once again, Zerb.

Chuck of Without Zerb.

Scoob of Dick Shack Posse belts out some voice with Without Zerb.

The fans cheer on Without Zerb with guest Scoob.

Again, Without Zerb…with Zerb.

Again, P.J. Kelly of Without Zerb.

Once again with Zerb, Without Zerb…Am I making you nuts yet? Twisted Evil

More Zerb of Without Zerb.

Again, Mike of Without Zerb.

One more time, P.J. Kelly of Without Zerb.

Two ladies enjoy themselves while checking out Zerb of Without Zerb.

CLASHING PLAID/COSMOSONICS @ ALDO’S, ALTOONA 11/17/07

I’ll start off this particular show review with a true story…A few years ago, regional music website PARocks.com posted a link to download a Christmas song by Philadelphia’s Clashing Plaid, called “All I Got for Xmas was Drunk.” I downloaded the tune and played it a few times on Q94’s “Backyard Rocker” during subsequent Christmas seasons. Then, during the previous night’s Dick Shack Posse/Without Zerb show at Aldo’s, I saw a flyer on a table top for this night’s show by Pittsburgh’s Cosmosonics, and noted the name of their special guests; Clashing Plaid! My curiosity piqued, I returned to Aldo’s this night to check out this double-bill.

I arrived early into Clashing Plaid’s opening set. Partially decked in plaid and featuring singer/guitarist Anthony Porter, lead guitarist Andy Watts, bassist Kenny Leso and drummer Steve Ackerman; Clashing Plaid delivered high-powered rock rooted both in old-school punk and gritty 70’s-era blues-based rock a la the Rolling Stones. They even covered the Stones’ “Happy” during their set, and performed lively original numbers; including tunes from their latest CD, Play It Loud, such as “Pretty Things,” “Disconnect,” “Werewolves in the Dark” and “Waiting for the Wrecker.” Clashing Plaid had fun and threw caution to the wind, and their vigorous presentation provided an exciting start to the show.

Partially decked in plaid, Philadelphia’s Clashing Plaid, making their first Altoona appearance at Aldo’s.

Again, Clashing Plaid.

Andy Watts of Clashing Plaid.

One more time, Clashing Plaid.

Unfortunately, it was a relatively dead night at Aldo’s, with only minimal crowd in the house. It definitely wasn’t the previous night’s packed house! I got to chat with Clashing Plaid during the intermission, and the group was pleasantly surprised to learn that I downloaded their Christmas song and played it on the air. In fact, Anthony told me they would have played it if I had yelled it out during their set!

After a changeover intermission, the Cosmosonics were soon ready to go. With a 70’s-styled glam look, the Cosmosonics also delivered a sound rooted in bad-boy bluesy rock, punk and 70’s glam recalling the Stones, early Aerosmith and the Black Crowes. Fromed from the ashes of a previous Pittsburgh band, the Science Fiction Idols, the Cosmosonics – lead singer/guitarist Gary D’Grave, guitarist Chaz Zalapski, bassist Harrison Dray and drummer Angel O – mixed hard-driving original rockers with select covers from Kiss, Cheap Trick and Aerosmith. Like Clashing Plaid, the Cosmosonics took basic, stripped-down rock’n’roll and gave their own distinct slant to it. Unfortunately, with little crowd to play to besides me, the Clashing Plaid guys and the soundman, the Cosmosonics made it a short set and soon called it a night, finishing with Aerosmith’s “Mama Kin.”

I was happy to discover both bands this night; but disappointed that more people weren’t curious to come see the new bands in town. Hopefully both will get more opportunities to win some fans in this neck of the woods.

Pittsburgh’s Cosmosonics, making their Altoona debut at Aldo’s.

Again, the Cosmosonics.

Gary D’Grave of the Cosmosonics.

One more time, the Cosmosonics.

HI-TYDE @ CITY LIMITS, ALTOONA 11/17/07

With Aldo’s music done by around 12:30, I still had some time left to catch another show in town. I headed across the railroad tracks to City Limits to see if Hi-Tyde was faring any better with attendance.

Although also not well attended, at least there were enough folks present at City Limits for Hi-Tyde to whip into a party frenzy. I arrived just before the group launched their nightcap set, and watched as singer Dale Nitti, guitarist Rob Sottile, guitarist/keyboardist Ted Depto, bassist Mike Weber and substitute drummer Angelo Pompa brought the party with festive favorites from Beastie Boys, Frankie Goes to Hollywood, AC/DC, Bon Jovi, the Outfield, Bryan Adams, and finally Buckcherry’s “Crazy Bitch” to end the set. The band was clearly feeling the party this night, and the music was seamless and nonstop, drawing a good portion of this small crowd onto the dance floor to groove along. Hi-Tyde fired up the party enough that the crowd demanded one more song at the end of the night.

As with the earlier show I had been to this night, I was disappointed that not more people were here at City Limits to partake in Hi-Tyde’s celebration. But this band made the most of it, and was hellbent to give the folks who were here a good time. Hopefully that will result in more bodies in the door down the road whenever Hi-Tyde makes a return visit.

Hi-Tyde.

With guitarist Rob Sottile lead-rappin,’ Hi-Tyde triggers the dance floor party at City Limits.

Again, Hi-Tyde.

Ted Depto of Hi-Tyde.

Dale Nitti of Hi-Tyde.

Providing the beats behind Hi-Tyde this night, Angelo Pompa.

Again, Dale Nitti of Hi-Tyde.

The party continues with Hi-Tyde.

Rob Sottile of Hi-Tyde.

Mike Weber of Hi-Tyde.

Again, Rob Sottile of Hi-Tyde.

Again, Angelo Pompa.

Once again, Dale Nitti of Hi-Tyde.

One more time, Hi-Tyde.

TIAHNA MYERS BENEFIT w/LIES, INC./SLACKER THEORY/HELLO VIXEN @ WHITE LADY TAVERN, BUCKHORN 11/18/07

With this week’s edition of the “Backyard Rocker” on Memorex (translation: pre-recorded), I was free to check out a benefit show going on this night at the White Lady Tavern up the hill. The bands Lies, Inc., Slacker Theory and Hello, Vixen were all donating their talents at the all-ages Tiahna Myers Benefit, with proceeds helping out the family of Tiahna, an infant who recently passed away from SIDS.

I arrived too late to see Lies, Inc.’s set to begin the night, but did get to catch my first look at Slacker Theory. Featuring former 4 Days Dirty singer Steve Danfelt and bassist Paul Greiner, former My Turning Point guitarist Dalton McDonald and drummer Rob Bonsell; Slacker Theory played a mix of hard-hitting modern rock, including their own new original songs and a few carryovers from the former 4 Days Dirty, also select tunes from Nickelback, Breaking Benjamin and more.

Slacker Theory, donating their talents to the Tiahna Myers Benefit.

Again, Slacker Theory.

Steve Danfelt of Slacker Theory.

One more time, Slacker Theory.

Hello, Vixen finished the show with their action-packed party, as singer Mark Simanski, guitarists Bill Maguire and Brian Simanski, bassist Justin Brown and drummer Steve Holtz kept the stagefront dance crowd rocking and jumping with punk-fueled original songs and covers. Hello, Vixen introduced a number of new original songs this night, including “I’m in Pretty Good Shape, for the Shape That I’m In” and “Can’t Spell Awesome Without Me;” and also did numbers from Say Anything, Hawthorn Heights, the Quietdrive update of the Cyndi Lauper hit “Time After Time” and more. Hello, Vixen fired the crowd into enough of a frenzy that they not only demanded an encore, but even picked the song; the showstopper shout-along rendition of Bouncing Souls’ “Ole.”

Providing the nightcap to the Tiahna Myers Benefit, Hello, Vixen.

Justin Brown of Hello, Vixen.

Mark Simanski of Hello, Vixen.

Keeping the White Lady dance floor participants happy, Hello, Vixen.

Brian Simanski and Justin Brown of Hello, Vixen.

Hello, Vixen continues the party.

Mark Simanski and Bill Maguire of Hello, Vixen.

Bill Maguire bellows out some voice with Hello, Vixen.

Steve Holtz of Hello, Vixen.

Keeping the crowd wild, Hello, Vixen.

Despite some light snowfall and foggy conditions, a good-sized crowd was in attendance, and enabled this benefit to earn some good coin to help out Tiahna Myers’ surviving family. A big hats off to all three bands for donating their time and talents, and the White Lady for providing the venue and staff.

FELIX & THE HURRICANES @ SHAW’S BAR, ALTOONA 11/18/07

After the Tiahna Myers Benefit finished, I descended the Buckhorn on Route 36 back to the ‘Toona, and decided that I would finish off this Sunday night and the weekend with some Juniata Hurricaning at Shaw’s Bar. En route, I turned left onto 12th Avenue off Route 36 and came to the traffic light at the intersection with 17th Street. The white Subaru wagon next to me at the intersection looked familiar, and upon looking closer, I realized why, as “Big Jim” Ricotta was in the driver’s seat. We both laughed when we spotted each other, and while waiting for the light to turn green, we yelled back and forth and discovered we both were headed to the same destination, Shaw’s!

We arrived early in the Hurricanes’ second set, and Shaw’s was in party mode! Felix, Jeff and Bob were tearing it up on stage with a fiery read of Robin Trower’s “Too Rolling Stoned” as we both entered, procured our first brews and took our seats at a nearby table. Jeff then belted out the lead voice on “House of the Rising Sun,” before the group fired into Eric Clapton’s “I’m Tore Up.” From there, the group raced into Stevie Ray Vaughan’s instrumental “Rude Mood,” before slowing down for Los Lonely Boys’ “Heaven.” The Juniata crowd cheered approval as the Hurricanes continued with Lynyrd Skynyrd’s “Ballad of Curtis Loew,” Stevie Ray’s “Tightrope,” the Allman Brothers’ “Dreams,” more Stevie Ray with “Texas Flood,” more Skynyrd with “I Know a Little,” the Jeff-sung new original favorite “La La Land,” and to close the set, one more visit to the Skynyrd library for “That Smell.”

The Hurricanes were clicking on all cylinders this night, and the fireworks were incredible! Felix, Jeff and Bob were clearly fired up by the happy Shaw’s crowd, and were dishing out their hot blues-based assaults with velocity and instrumental spice. Big Jim and I just looked on in amazement, enjoying the ride.

The trio soon returned to deliver their final chapter of the night, starting with the Allmans’ “Whipping Post.” Celebrating Hurricaniac Jamie’s birthday, the group then performed the Beatles’ “Something,” before setting the small Shaw’s dance floor area back into motion with their ever-popular original “Walking a Straight Line.” The music continued with the Allmans’ “Midnight Rider,” Kenny Wayne Shepherd’s “Blue on Black,” Jonny Lang’s “Rack ‘Em Up,” Ted Nugent’s “Great White Buffalo,” and Lynyrd Skynyrd’s “Simple Man” to end the set. When the Shaw’s audience quickly indicated that they weren’t ready to call it a weekend yet, the Hurricanes responded with a little more, doing Stealers Wheel’s “Stuck in the Middle with You,” Lynyrd Skynyrd’s “Gimme Three Steps” and the Outlaws’ “Green Grass & High Tides” to slam the lid on the weekend.

It was fiery, festive and fun! The Hurricanes executed like a supercharged, high-performance machine, making every note count and keeping the night’s energy riding at a constant high. Shaw’s thoroughly enjoyed every minute of it, and it slammed the perfect exclamation point on the end of the weekend!

JP’s HAIKU

Dick Shack, Without Zerb
Kicked butts, took names at Aldo’s
Check these new bands out!

http://pamusician.net
 Back to top »
Jim Price

Post Posted: Saturday Dec 19, 2009 

http://pamusician.net
 Back to top »
ROCKPAGE Forum Index » JP's Corner
Page 1 of 1