· The Final Cut
WEEK/WEEKEND RECAP 12/24/07
ROCKPAGE Forum Index » JP's Corner
previous topic :: next topic  
Jim Price

Post Posted: Thursday Apr 10, 2008 

WEEK/WEEKEND RECAP 12/24/07

MT. CITY GRASS @ THE HITCHING POST, ALTOONA 12/19/07

Bluegrass was again the musical flavor happening during this edition of Wednesday Country Night at The Hitching Post, and Mt. City Grass again providing the tunes.

I arrived just before the start of the group's second set. Dobro man John Stevens reset the lighthearted mood of the evening with a complaint about the condition of his schnozzola."I have to blow my nose, but I'm singing bluegrass, so I'm supposed to sound all stuffed up!" With that, John, acoustic guitarist/singer/ringleader Denny Cerully, Katie Cerully on upright bass, acoustic guitarist Ed Decker and banjo man/singer Dean Berkhimer started into an instrumental bluegrass prelude that was followed by a slow-geared rendition of the standard "Man of Constant Sorrow." The group continued to mix it up with bluegrass and old country favorites a-plenty over the remainder of their two sets; tapping the Flatt & Scruggs library for "Cabin in the Hills of Caroline" and "Dear Old Dixie," tapping Bill Monroe's creations with "On My Way Back to the Old Home" and "Blue Moon of Kentucky," celebrating Stanley Brothers contributions such as "Katy Daley" and "Going to the Races," and performing many traditional numbers such as "Don't Let the Deal Go Down," the John-sung "This Little Light of Mine," "Fox on the Run," "Rocky Top," the Dean-voiced "Mountain Dew" and more. And since we were well into the holiday season, a grassy spin on the ever-popular "Jingle Bells" was in order as well.

It was another evening of pickin' and grinnin' pleasure, with Denny calling out the songs and the group performing and having fun along the way. Each member got to show their individual talents, and the mood was again casual and laid-back.

It was again a good way to unwind after finishing up a Hump-day of work!

Mt. City Grass, pickin’ and grinnin’ at the Hitching Post.

MATT WAGNER @ 4D'S LOUNGE, ALTOONA 12/19/07

After leaving the Hitching Post, I headed to the 4D's Lounge to check in with Matt Wagner. I actually was hopeful I might get a chance look at Matt's band, Killer Boots, but as I arrived, I soon realized that it would be Matt going solo, with maybe another musician sitting in later on. This was cool as well.

Somewhat surprisingly, the Dees' Schnappes Shoppe was only lightly populated - usually not the norm whenever this artist performs. But since Matt was here the night before (he plays every Tuesday), only the diehard fans probably felt the need to have to return this night. With business slow in the early going, Matt held off starting his acoustic performance until 11 PM to allow more time for folks to show up.

At the stroke of 11, Matt started into his set with a Breaking Benjamin number, followed by the Pearl Jam spin on "Last Kiss" and John Denver's "Take Me Home Country Roads." He then tapped the Johnny Cash library for "Long Black Veil" and the Beatles "You've Got to Hide Your Love Away," before introducing an original song called "Mix." Next was a rendition of Otis Redding's "Sittin' on the Dock of the Bay," followed by Bush's "Glycerine," Fuel's "Bad Day," Radiohead's "Fake Plastic Trees," and Dobie Gray's "Drift Away" to finish the set. Talk about a wide variety of tunes!

During this initial set, I realized that not only was this 4D's audience on the small side, they were unresponsive as well. Matt was doing a good job on the stage, but most of the folks in the room seemed not to notice. Fortunately for Matt, this condition wouldn't last very much longer.

When Matt next took the stage, he had another musician with him; his Killer boots bandmate, bassist Mark Cooper. The two musicians started off this set with Deep Blue Something's "Breakfast at Tiffany's," before doing a slower variation on Better Than Ezra's "Good." Matt and Mark stayed in the 90's for Gin Blossoms' "Hey Jealousy," Dave Matthews Band's "What Would You Say" and Pearl Jam's "Yellow Ledbetter," before shifting Southern for Marshall Tucker Band's "Can't You See." After a rendition of Johnny Cash's "Folsom Prison Blues," Matt and Mark finally triggered some dance floor activity with Tom Petty's "American Girl," before they finished up the set with Sublime's "Santeria."

Chatting with Matt during the intermission, I learned that he was battling some rib soreness this night, and was toughing it out whenever he had to do extended notes. But he was sounding good so far; I couldn't detect any audible strain or pain.

By the time Matt and Mark started their nightcap set, I was chatting with Dees staffer J.P. at the main bar (Yes, JP talking with JP!), and thus didn't pay as close attention during this final chapter of the evening. But I did hear the two perform numbers from Jack Johnson, Sublime, CCR, Violent Femmes, Weezer, the Verve Pipe and more. And the Dees saw more people arrive during the course of the evening, resulting in more cheers and dance floor activity for Matt and Mark in the latter stages of their performance.

While I would have to wait a little while longer to see Matt and his Killer Boots, his solo/duet show this night was enjoyable nonetheless, and again demonstrated this artist's wide span of musical flavors.

Matt Wagner and Mark Cooper, entertaining at the 4D’s Schnappes Shoppe.

Outside, Christmas decorations adorn the 4D’s outdoor BBQ “pitt.”

NOTHING SACRED @ ALDO'S, ALTOONA 12/20/07

After logging a long evening at the workplace, I headed to Aldo's to catch the last set from acoustic punks Nothing Sacred.

I actually became involved in conversation at the main bar and didn't get to pay close attention to Nothing Sacred's nightcap set, but did hear the trio of singer Cheeze, guitarists/singers Tim Mort and Tom Noel doing acoustic treatments of several obscure punk numbers, as well as versions of Journey's "Don't Stop Believin,'" Social Distortion's "Ball and Chain," an original song or two, and for the night-ending encore, their version of Prince's "Purple Rain."

Even though the college crowd from Penn State Altoona was headed home for the holidays, there were still some college-aged folks in the house, as well as a number of Aldo's regulars. It was what it was, a laid-back good time.

CAMINO SKY @ WHITE LADY TAVERN, BUCKHORN 12/21/07

I decided to head up the hill to the White Lady Tavern this night to check in with Huntingdon County power trio Camino Sky.

Upon first arrival, I thought the band had cancelled, because the White Lady’s large band room was dark, and there was only activity in the main bar area. But as I stepped inside, I saw band gear set up, and realized Camino Sky was playing in the main bar this night. I touched base with drummer Dave Wessels, and I learned that bassist Joe Shriner had been sidelined by the flu bug. A familiar face was filling in for Joe this night, though; Dave’s and guitarist/singer Joshua Miles’ former bandmate from the Coil/Madcheddar days, Matt Kyle (ex-Emily’s Toybox). Dave warned me that the next set could be a wild ride; I was hoping for it!

As Tammy behind the bar served me up with my first Genesee longneck of the night, this edition of Camino Sky took up positions with their instruments and got ready to perform their next set. The group first started with an urban-flavored number with Dave singing lead and Matt behind the drum kit. Dave and Matt then returned to their regularly-scheduled instruments, and tore into Tommy Tutone’s “867-5309/Jenny,” followed by “The Hooch.” With Matt singing lead, the group then tackled Big & Rich’s “Save a Horse, Ride a Cowboy,” before Josh returned to fronting the group on Buckcherry’s “Crazy Bitch.” Matt again fronted the group on Fallout Boy’s “Sugar We’re Going Down,” followed by Josh singing on Pink Floyd’s “Another Brick in the Wall” and Tool’s “Sober.” From behind the kit, Dave then handled the charged vocal assignments on Rage Against the Machine’s “Bulls on Parade” and House of Pain’s “Jump Around.” After doing Bryan Adams’ “Summer of ’69,” the musicians dug back into their previous band’s archives for the playful Coil original, “Hubba Wubba Nubba Monkey,” which got me hooting and hollering. The group continued with Seether’s “Remedy” and a request for Nirvana’s “Rape Me.” Some dancers populated the small White Lady main bar dance floor area for Sublime’s “What I Got,” and Camino Sky turned up the party. Tunes from the Spin Doctors, Blues Traveler, Counting Crows and Journey kept folks dancing, and led to a playful Afroman “Iron Man/Back in Black” tease, which culminated in the last song of the night, Aha’s “Take on Me.”

As Dave the drummer warned, it was a wild ride! This edition of Camino Sky kept the vibe energetic and playful, having fun with the songs and audience and never taking themselves too seriously. It amounted to a fun party that drew increased cheers and dance activity from the White Lady audience as the night progressed. And the group playing in the main bar put them right in the bar crowd’s faces, so folks were already involved in the show, ready or not!

Good times abounded up the Buckhorn this night; I’m glad I made the altitudinal climb to enjoy them!

With Matt Kyle playing bass this night, Camino Sky rocks the White Lady Tavern.

It’s the ‘musical chairs’ model of Camino Sky, with drummer Dave Wessels out front and guitarist Joshua Miles behind the kit.

Joshua Miles of Camino Sky.

Camino Sky’s designated bass player this night, Matt Kyle.

Back behind the kit, Dave Wessels of Camino Sky.

Once again, Matt Kyle and Joshua Miles of Camino Sky.

FUSION @ 30 SOMETHING, ALTOONA 12/22/07

This night, I decided to catch my first band at the new 30 Something Restaurant & Lounge, and see how the newly renovated business was shaping up. It would be an opportunity to see this venue’s new beginning, and a new band as well, Bedford’s Fusion.

First of all, 30 Something was shaping up pretty nicely, with a renovated interior that included new carpeting, plazma screen televisions (for showing 80’s-themed television shows, sporting events and more), pictures of 80’s-era rock concerts, gold records on the wall, and where City Limits’ old back bar used to be, a new lounge area with upholstered seats and a blue neon-illuminated glass table! Food is the word at the new 30 Something, but bands still have a home here on Saturday nights.

Although a new band name, Fusion features an experienced cast of musicians, including Roger Sirko on lead vocals and guitar, Sandy Barefoot on backing and lead vocals, Alan Walters on bass and Rick Barefoot on drums. As they closed out their first set after I arrived, Fusion performed an interesting selection of sounds, including 3 Doors Down’s “Kryptonite,” The Who’s “The Seeker,” the Alan-fronted version of Marshall Tucker Band’s “Can’t you see,” Sandy singing Martha & the Vandellas’ “Heatwave,” and Santana’s “Evil Ways” to send things into intermission mode.

After they resumed, Fusion continued to play a variety of classic rock from the 60's, 70's and 80's in their second set; including numbers from Thin Lizzy, Buffalo Springfield, Pink Floyd, Alice Cooper, Grand Funk Railroad, BTO, Lynyrd Skynyrd, R.E.M., the Moody Blues, Free and more. Roger handled most of the lead singing duties, with Sandy fronting the group on the Pretenders’ “Middle of the Road.” And although not a packed house this night, at least a few folks were on the dance floor and moving to the tunes.

Sandy kicked off the third set on lead mic, singing the Romantics’ “What I Like About You,” before Roger resumed the frontman role for the duration, on songs by Skynyrd, Van Morrison, Moody Blues, REO Speedwagon, Beatles, Eric Clapton, Tom Petty, and lastly, Golden Earring’s “Twilight Zone” to finish the night. There was a sort of encore this night, as Rick returned to the drum kit and put on a solo display to the cheers of the stagefront fans. Rick was having so much fun behind the kit, he had to be told to wrap it up for the night as the clock struck 2!

Fusion did a solid job overall, mixing up the song selection and breaking out a few unexpected classics along the way, such as The Who's "The Seeker" and Tom Petty's "Listen to Her Heart." They didn’t do anything fancy or flashy, just kicking back and having fun playing music that they enjoyed. At least based on this show, Fusion appears well suited for smaller stages and venues where classic rock goes over well.

And it was the first of hopefully many shows I will get to see at the new 30 Something.

Making their Altoona debut, Fusion.

Again, Fusion.

Alan Walters of Fusion.

Sandy Barefoot of Fusion.

Rick Barefoot of Fusion.

Once again, Fusion.

Roger Sirko of Fusion.

Again, Roger Sirko of Fusion.

One more time, Fusion.

I like Fusion’s amp cover!

RISE PHOENIX RISE @ PELLEGRINE’S, ALTOONA 12/23/07

It was Christmas Eve eve, and I was pleasantly surprised to learn that I had both Christmas Eve and Christmas Day off this year. So I was in celebration mode this Sunday night, and headed to Pellegrine’s to get into the Yule mood with some help from Rise Phoenix Rise.

I arrived fashionably late during the group’s second set, and as expected, Rise Phoenix Rise had a large contingent partying down on Pellegrine’s dance floor with their mix of modern and classic rock, originals and more. The remainder of their second set included a disco medley that featured KC & the Sunshine Band’s “That’s the Way I Like It,” Village People’s “YMCA” (with the crowd doing all those goofy letter motions with their arms), Rick James’ “Superfreak” and more.

Rise Phoenix Rise’s nightcap set opened with Billy Idol’s “Rebel Yell,” and continued with high-powered rocking spins on favorites such as Soft Cell’s “Tainted Love,” The Knack’s “My Sharona,” the Outfield’s “Your Love,” Def Leppard’s “Pour Some Sugar on Me,” Eve 6’s “Inside Out,” Bon Jovi’s “You Give Love a Bad Name,” American Hi-Fi’s “Flavor of the Weak,” Jimmy Eats World’s “The middle,” Red Hot Chili Peppers’ “Give it Away” and more. Highlights included a unique Christmas-geared spin on Neil Diamond’s “Sweet Caroline” with bassist Ronnie Williams singing lead. The group also did a few of their own tunes from their recently-issued CD The Land of Oohs and Aahs, including “My Song” and the carryover from Rob’s previous band, the Poptart Monkeys, “She Likes Girls.”

It was another happy-go-lucky Rise Phoenix Rise party. Lead singer Gibson again combined a strong, clear voice with personality, stage presence and constant energy to keep the dance floor crowd fired up and involved in the party; supported by the potent rocking backdrop generated by guitarists Chris Bishop and Jarrod Griffith, bassist Ronnie and drummer Rob Hampton. Their energy and enthusiasm was constant and infectious, giving the Pelly’s dancers no reason to want to sit down.

As this night again showed, Rise Phoenix Rise continues their ascent into one of this region’s most popular onstage parties; and they should be a force in the region in 2008.

Gibson of Rise Phoenix Rise, having fun with the dance floor crowd.

Jarrod Griffith and Ronnie Williams of Rise Phoenix Rise.

Ronnie Williams of Rise Phoenix Rise with the dance floor crowd.

Gibson of Rise Phoenix Rise, obviously in the Christmas spirit.

Rob Hampton of Rise Phoenix Rise.

Again, Jarrod and Ronnie of Rise Phoenix Rise.

Several ladies join Rise Phoenix Rise onstage.

Ladies having fun with Rise Phoenix Rise.

Ronnie Williams of Rise Phoenix Rise, flanked by women.

JP’s HAIKU

White Lady Tavern
Camino Sky free-for-all
Lit up the mountain!

http://pamusician.net
 Back to top »
Jim Price

Post Posted: Saturday Dec 19, 2009 

http://pamusician.net
 Back to top »
ROCKPAGE Forum Index » JP's Corner
Page 1 of 1