· The Final Cut
WEEK/WEEKEND RECAP 1/28/08
ROCKPAGE Forum Index » JP's Corner
previous topic :: next topic  
Jim Price

Post Posted: Saturday Apr 19, 2008 

WEEK/WEEKEND RECAP 1/28/08

BROKEN PONY @ THE HITCHING POST, ALTOONA 1/23/08

This Wednesday evening found me back at the Hitching Post, to hopefully enjoy some ribs and sounds from Broken Pony.

The kitchen was open, and the ribs were cooking this night…And the band was cooking as well!

Broken Pony’s second set started off with a duet, as singer/guitarist/bass pedal man Pat McGinnis and drummer Tim Yingling did a version of Tom Petty’s “Wildflowers.” Pat then dug into the John Prine catalog to perform :Grandpa Was a Carpenter,” before guest Erika Marino stepped to the stage to contribute backing vocals on Van Morrison’s “Crazy Love.” Erika then sang lead on the next two songs, demonstrating her range and vocal power on Norah Jones’ “Turn Me On” and Janis Joplin’s “Me and Bobby McGee.” Guitarist Randy “Jackson” Rutherford then sang lead on the James Gang’s “Funk #49, followed by Pat singing lead on “Louise.” It was then pedal steel player Kim Metzger’s turn to show off his pipes, as he sang Commander Cody’s “Smoke That Cigarette.” Pat then sang Jerry Jeff Walker’s “Up Against the Wall Redneck Mothers,” before Erika again joined him to help sing James Taylor’s “How Sweet It Is.” Erika again sang lead on Stevie Wonder’s “Signed Sealed Delivered,” before Pat led Broken Pony on the Fabulous Thunderbirds’ “She’s Tough” to close out the set.

Although this set provided some departures from Broken Pony’s predominantly Americana mixture, it was invigorating to hear the group tackling some bluesier and soul-geared selections. The assembled Hitching Post patronage was enjoying the music thus far, and applauding the efforts of Broken Pony and their guest.

Like the second set, the third set also started off with a Tom Petty number, as Pat sang “I Won’t Back Down,” before demonstrating his harmonica talents on Neil Young’s “Heart of Gold.” Broken Pony then performed the Old Crow Medicine Show-popularized “Wagon Wheels,” followed by Little Feat’s “Willin,’” Jimmy Reed’s “Bright Lights Big City” and a John Prine number to end the evening.

As they had demonstrated before, Broken Pony again provided a tasty performance as they displayed clean and inspired musicianship on their off-the-beaten-path blend of country, folk, blues and rock. All four components of this band meshed together very well, each serving the melody of the songs with their contributions. Kim’s pedal steel flavors and Randy’s guitar solos nicely complemented Pat’s acoustic tones, while Tim supported the sound with gentle and controlled brush strokes on his drums. Again the song selection was interesting and varied, and the group showed a little more of their wide expanse of Americana sounds.

As I’ve said before, Broken Pony is one of the best-kept secrets on the Altoona music scene, and I recommend catching a show from this band whenever they make their monthly rounds at the Hitching Post!

BILL EVANS’ SOULGRASS @ ROSENBERGER AUDITORIUM, JUNIATA COLLEGE, HUNTINGDON 1/24/08

First, big thanks to Bill “hawk” Hocherl for putting this show on my radar screen, and enabling me to experience an evening of total musical adventure and thrills!

Bill first informed me of this concert a few weeks prior; as Bill Evans’ Soulgrass project was performing at Rosenberger Auditorium at Juniata College in Huntingdon. Admittedly, I’m still very much a novice to the world of jazz and even bluegrass music, so I really didn’t know much at all about Bill Evans, Soulgrass, or what all it musically was about. From posts on Rockpage, I knew that “Hawk” and members of the local drumming community were excited about jazz drummer Dave Weckl, who was a member of Soulgrass. Just days prior to the show, though, it was announced that Weckl would not be a part of the performance, as he would instead be playing a concert with jazz great Chick Corea elsewhere. Instead, Spyro Gyra drummer Joel Rosenblatt would be behind the Soulgrass drum kit. Again, having never seen any of these performers before and not familiar with their music, I was just interested in attending and learning what Soulgrass was all about; it would be a night of discovery for me.

Bill was the wheelman this night, and transported Rob “RobtheDrummer” Bonsell and me to the concert. We procured good seats towards the front of the auditorium, so we had a great vantage point to experience all the musical happenings onstage.

Soon the lights dimmed and the concert began. Namesake Bill Evans played saxophone and keys; accompanied by Sam Bush on mandolin, Ryan Cavanaugh on banjo, Christian Howes on violin, Richard Bona on bass, and Joel Rosenblatt on drums. Over the course of the two-hour, two-set performance, elements of jazz, funk and bluegrass were brought together by this cast of musicians for an incredible performance. These players were at the top of their game on their respective instruments, and their total and constant musicianship was amazing. There was not a dull moment during the entire show; just as you would focus on one musician’s performance, another would divert your attention. But everything these musicians did served the plot of the composition they were doing, whether executing the primary melody or bridging or providing transitions between song elements; not a note or beat was wasted!

As I said, elements of jazz, funk and bluegrass came together during Soulgrass’ two sets, resulting in a wide and varied array of flavors. The central style and sound suggested a summit between the Mahavishnu Orchestra and Dixie Dregs as the group performed a selection of mostly Bill Evans’ original compositions, with a few original numbers from the other musicians included along the way. Some of the selections included the funk-geared “Easy Way Out” with Bill singing lead and his “How the West Was Won,” Ryan Cavanaugh’s “No Capo for Andy” and Sam Bush’s “Laps in Seven” during the first set; and Sam’s “Same Ol’ River,” Bill’s Snap Dragon” and a rendition of Bill Monroe’s “Darling Corey” during the second set. The second set also featured Richard Bona performing a combination bass/scat solo that captivated the audience. After the display of stunning musicianship and musical versatility over the two sets, the Juniata College audience demanded an encore, and the group returned to do two more numbers, Bill’s “Slippery Bigs Forever” and another vocal number.

Again, this was amazing stuff! Each of these guys was a virtuoso on his respective instrument, and some of their solo displays were simply breathtaking – some of the things Sam Bush was doing on mandolin would make Eddie Van Halen blush! But again, everything these players did on their instruments served the purpose of the piece being played, with no needless noodling or showboating. It was also interesting to see these players matching wits in each others’ musical worlds; with Bill applying his sax playing to the folk and bluegrass side of the spectrum, as well as Sam and Ryan stretching into jazz and fusion terrain with their instruments. And beyond their obvious talent, all six of these players were clearly having fun onstage, never taking themselves too seriously. It was an uplifting, fun vibe during the whole show. And Phil “hannibal” Reigh behind the sound console made it all sound clean and clear, with each element of the group being distinctly heard.

Bottom line – this was one incredible concert! Thanks again to Bill for inviting me to check it out! Kick yourself if you missed it, and try to catch any of these players if they make it back to this neck of the woods!

Bill Evans’ Soulgrass.

Sam Bush and Bill Evans.

Spyro Gyra’s Joel Rosenblatt, filling in on drums.

Again, Bill Evans' Soulgrass.

CHRIS V. & THE STANLEY STREET BAND @ AL’S TAVERN, ALTOONA 1/24/08

After returning to Altoona from the Soulgrass concert, it was just past 11 PM, and plenty of time remained to catch more live music happening in the vicinity on this Thursday night. Since I hadn’t eaten dinner yet, I headed to Al’s Tavern (where the kitchen is open to 1 AM) to grab some grub and hear some tunes from Chris V. & the Stanley Street Band.

This turned out to be an unforgettable show as well. Days earlier, group namesake Chris V. found himself in an encounter with the local legal system, and became the defendant in a pending court case. The circumstances of the situation were bizarre to say the least, and judging by this night at Al’s Tavern, Chris was primed for the upcoming court fight! As he, bassman Mike Stanley, cajon player Mike Z and guest harmonica man John “Songsmith” Stevens merged a variety of song material along funk-based grooves, Chris cleverly went on the offensive, making vague but witty references to his situation and pending litigation with a comic demeanor that would have made David Letterman or Jay Leno envious! With a good-sized crowd in attendance at Al’s to cheer Chris on, the whole mood of the evening resembled the frat house scene in Animal House where Bluto (John Belushi) rallies the brothers to take down Dean Wormer and the snooty rival fraternity!

Musically, the performances were spirited as well, as the musicians played a variety of material along the way; including the Stones’ “Sympathy for the Devil,” Otis Redding’s “Sitting on the Dock of the Bay,” Dispatch’s “Bang Bang,” Radiohead’s “Creep,” G. Love & Special Sauce’s “Back of the Bus,” Johnny Cash’s “Folsom Prison Blues” into “Man of Constant Sorrow” and more. The group also did a number of original tunes as well, including “Passerby,” “Losin,’” and the new “Media Controls the World.”

And on the food front, I experienced yet another excellent Al's menu item this night, the Cajun Stromboli!

This was easily the most fired-up performance I had witnessed from Chris V. & the Stanley Street Band yet, as the atmosphere was charged the whole night. “McAssHat” the Hamburglar would have been quaking in his shoes! If Chris succeeds in clearing his name in this case, this night may have served as the launching pad for his fight. Go Chris!

With guest John Stevens on harmonica, Chris V. & the Stanley Street Band.

Again, Mike Stanley & the Cajon Band.

THE CLOVER/THE DEUCES @ ALDO’S, ALTOONA 1/25/08

Aldo’s was the one-stop shop for rowdy punk-rocking fun this night when The Clover and The Deuces got together.

This would be my first chance to see The Deuces in action. I arrived midway through their set, and watched as singer/guitarist Brian Dumm, guitarists Joey Lenze and Erik Krieg, bassist Cory Smith and drummer Matt Floravit did go-for-broke, melodic old-school punk rock. They played a selection of original songs; most which I didn’t catch the titles for. And they even dug into Brian’s archive to perform an old Keystone Allstars number. I liked The Deuces overall vibe and energy, as these guys poured full fury into each song. But their execution was tight, and their velocity never compromised the melodies of their song material. This was a good, solid set of fist-in-the-gut rock; and definitely made me eager to witness The Deuces again in the future.

Cory Smith, Brian Dumm and Erik Krieg of The Deuces.

The Deuces trear it up at Aldo’s.

Again, The Deuces.

Brian Dumm of The Deuces.

Erik Krieg of The Deuces.

After a changeover intermission, The Clover performed two sets. Again featuring Greg “Mudzo” Mudzinsky on bass and vocals, Patrick Newby on lead guitar and vocals, Johnstone on rhythm guitar and vocals, Lance T. Burgess on acoustic guitar, and Matt Floravit pulling double duty on drums; The Clover got their Irish up and continued the party with Celtic-flavored punk; doing amped-up Irish drinking songs and their own similar-toned originals. At one point during the first set, Patrick’s father, “Papa Newb,” joined in on harmonica during a few numbers. Although I didn’t catch much in the way of song titles, some of the tunes The Clover performed included “Last Rock Soldiers,” “Whiskey and Friends,” “Mama Tried,” “Born to Rock and Roll,” an amped-up version of Steve Earle’s “Copperhead Road,” and their ode to cheap beer, “Old German.”

The Clover’s song material and energy were infectious, quickly drawing fans in front of the stage to hoist brews and shout along. Although Aldo’s wasn’t packed this night, The Clover tapped the audience’s party spirit, and quickly had people in front of the stage and having fun.

The Clover, with special guest “Papa Newb” (in background).

The Clover, getting their Irish up at Aldo’s.

More fun with The Clover.

Johnstone of The Clover.

Again, The Clover.

Matt Floravit of The Cloverr.

One more time, The Clover.

G211 @ 30 SOMETHING, ALTOONA 1/26/08

30 Something was my destination this night, to catch another new band playing in town, Happy Valley rockers G211 as they made their Altoona debut at 30 Something.

I arrived during their intermission, before what I thought would be the second of three sets; but this band played straight through to the end of the night! Featuring singer Brian Storm, guitarist/singer Dale Hart, bassist Mark Holland and drummer Tony Tamburini; G211 brought the party with a blend of rocking favorites from the 70’s to present; done with plentiful enthusiasm and a slight flair for the theatric. Brian demonstrated the theatric right off the bat to launch the set, doing his own scaled-down tribute to Judas Priest frontman Rob Halford’s motorcycle-on-stage antics during “Hell Bent for Leather.” The group continued on with favorites from Stone Temple Pilots and Puddle Of Mudd, before Def Leppard’s “Pour Some Sugar on Me” pulled some folks onto the 30 Something dance floor. After Violent Femmes’ “Blister in the Sun,” Dale brought his guitar out to the tables to show his fretboard skills during ZZ Top’s “La Grange,” before singing lead on the Ramones’ “I Wanna Be Sedated.” Dancers returned to the floor for Lynyrd Skynyrd’s “Sweet Home Alabama,” and Dale again sang lead on Tom Petty’s “Mary Jane’s “Last Dance,” before G211 introduced their first original tune, “Seething.” The group then slowed it down for Hinder’s “Lips of an Angel,” before firing the rock back up with Buckcherry’s “Crazy Bitch.” The group then dug out The Flys’ “Got You Where I Want You,” before going old-school with Them’s “Gloria.” The group headed down the homestretch with Neil Young’s “Rockin’ in the Free World” and Velvet Revolver’s “Slither,” before singer Brian again demonstrated his flair for the dramatic with his fog-enshrouded, night-ending rendition of the Eurythmics’ “Sweet Dreams,” during which he nearly out-angst-ed Marilyn Manson!

G211 made a good first impression on the small-ish audience in attendance. Instrumentally they were solid, and Dale – making his first appearance in the Altoona area since the days when he played country in Crossover – provided his own guitar theatrics, bringing his guitar out into the crowd and playing behind his back and head on a few numbers. Frontman Brian put on quite the show with his expressive singing style and numerous stage antics, going the extra step to keep the audience entertained. Drummer Tony kept the beats steady, and bassist Mark provided a steady and solid bottom end.

Named after ‘Goes to Eleven’ from This Is Spinal Tap, G211 takes their party to eleven to deliver the maximum good time. Although not many folks were in the house for their 30 Something debut, their show went over well, and hopefully they’ll be able to build a fan base on future visits.

Brian Storm brings his ride on the stage to start G211’s set.

Brian Storm and Dale Hart of G211.

Dale Hart of G211.

Again, Dale Hart of G211.

Again, Brian Storm of G211.

Mark Holland of G211.

Again, G211’s wildman singer, Brian Storm.

Once again, Dale Hart of G211.

Tony Tamburini of G211.

G211, bringing the party at 30 Something.

Again, Tony Tamburini of G211.

More fun with G211.

Showing some more hot guitarwork, Dale Hart of G211.

More fretboard fireworks with Dale Hart.

Jamming behind his neck, Dale Hart of G211.

Yet again, Dale Hart.

Munching on guitar strings, Dale Hart.

The party continues with G211.

Is this what I think it is? A miniature Stonehenge!?

Brian Storm becomes angst-ridden on “Sweet Dreams.”

Once again, Brian Storm.

Gone off the deep end (of the stage), Brian Storm of G211.

FLIGHT 19 @ PELLEGRINE’S, ALTOONA 1/27/08

After wrapping up my “Backyard Rocker” duties this Sunday night, I headed to Pellegrine’s to finish out the weekend with a trip aboard Flight 19’s “party plane.”

It was definitely a “party plane” atmosphere this night, as it was K.C. Seidel’s birthday! I arrived just before the start of Flight 19’s second set, and with no mean-looking Mennonite-like gents in the vicinity, the group launched the second part of their connecting flight with Nickelback’s “Figure You Out.” After the Black Crowes’ “Hard to Handle,” guitarist John McKelvey sang lead on Gary Numan’s “Cars.” The group continued with their mix of rocking favorites from the 70’s to present, doing Billy Idol’s “Rebel Yell,” Jet’s “Cold Hard Bitch,” Poison’s “Talk Dirty to Me” and Bon Jovi’s “Runaway” along the way.

A respectable-sized crowd was on hand to enjoy the party thus far, and Flight 19 succeeded in getting at least a few of those folks onto the dance floor.

Flight 19’s nightcap set started with Kiss’ “I Was Made for Loving You,” and continued with tunes from the Toadies, AC/DC, Great White, Romantics and The Knack. The group then broke out My Chemical Romance’s “Teenagers,” before doing their own original favorite “Hands” and Buckcherry’s “Crazy Bitch.” The group then entered the set’s homestretch with a disco/funk medley that tied together portions of the Commodores’ “Brick House,” Ohio Players’ “Love Rollercoaster,” Tone Luc’s “Wild Thing,” The Gap Band’s “You Dropped a Bomb on Me” and more. When the Pelly’s dance floor crowd demanded an encore, Flight 19 responded with Lit’s “My Own Worst Enemy.”

It was another successful flight, as the “Party Plane” kept the music and energy level constant, and had fun along the way. Another weekend successfully sent into the books!

Darin Hand of Flight 19.

Phil Steele and John McKelvey of Flight 19.

Flight 19 closes out the weekend at Pellegrine’s.

Brian Thomas of Flight 19.

John McKelvey of Flight 19.

Again, Darin Hand of Flight 19.

Darin Hand and Tim Kelly of Flight 19.

Again, Brian Thomas of Flight 19.

Again, Darin and Tim of Flight 19.

Tim Kelly of Flight 19.

Once again, Brian Thomas of Flight 19.

Scott Imler of Flight 19.

Folks party down with Flight 19 at Pelly’s.

One more time, Darin Hand of Flight 19.

Flight 19 and a busy Pellegrine’s dance floor.

This guy’s having fun partying down with Flight 19.

JP’s HAIKU

Bill Evans’ Soulgrass
Jazz, funk and bluegrass summit
Great musicianship!

http://pamusician.net
 Back to top »
Jim Price

Post Posted: Saturday Dec 19, 2009 

http://pamusician.net
 Back to top »
ROCKPAGE Forum Index » JP's Corner
Page 1 of 1