· The Final Cut
WEEKEND RECAP 4/7/08
ROCKPAGE Forum Index » JP's Corner
previous topic :: next topic  
Jim Price

Post Posted: Saturday May 10, 2008 

WEEKEND RECAP 4/7/08

FELIX & THE HURRICANES @ 30 SOMETHING, ALTOONA 4/3/08

I knew that when 30 Something began running Felix & the Hurricanes on Thursday evenings, it was going to be hard to stay away; especially considering that 30 Something is a less than five minute drive from my house! Thus, after logging another late evening at the workplace this Thursday night, I was 30 Something-bound to catch the latest chapter of Hurricanes exploits.

Again, Thursday Hurricaning is again catching on in the Altoona area, based on the good-sized crowd in attendance as I arrived after midnight, towards the end of the 'Canes' second set. Felix, Bob and Jeff wrapped up that set with Los Lonely Boys' "Heaven."

Again with a good-sized crowd to fire them up, the Hurricanes delivered another fire-and-brimstone performance during their third set, lighting up the 30 Something stage with renditions of Lynyrd Skynyrd's "Call Me the Breeze," Ted Nugent's "Free for All," Aerosmith's "Walk This Way" into ZZ Top's "Sharp Dressed Man," Grand Funk Railroad's "We're an American Band" and more. In the show's waning moments, frequent flyer guest singer Loren Johnson joined the group to sing the lead on Journey's "Lovin' Touchin' Squeezin'" and Bonnie Raitt's "Something to Talk About" to close the night.

It was another fun demonstration of the Hurricanes doing what they do best, and the lively 30 Something crowd responding with rousing applause. Another good conclusion to a Thursday night!

The Hurricanes, lighting up another Thursday night at 30 Something.

THE VERGE @ 30 SOMETHING, ALTOONA 4/4/08

30 Something Restaurant & Lounge has recently started to feature live bands early Friday evenings, combined with a delicious dinner special. The Verge provided the entertainment to accompany this Friday evening's baked tilapia special, and I made a point to be there to enjoy both!

First, the tilapia.GREAT! I had actually eaten a tilapia special at Applebee's several weeks before, and 30 Something's tilapia blew Applebee's out of the water! Bigger portion, tastier, and excellent service from the 30 Something wait staff as well! Definitely I'll be doing more of these Friday band and meal combos, 'nuff said!

And The Verge lived up to their end of the bargain on stage. The seasoned and skilled trio of singer/guitarist Jeff Renner, singer/bassist Matt Burns and drummer/singer Steve Brulia rocked the house with a crisp blend of rock spanning the 70's to present. Although not a big crowd in attendance, it was a happy crowd, fueled by a birthday party at one of the tables for a lady named Robin. Matt and Jeff alternated lead singing duties along the way on their selection of numbers from Red Hot Chili Peppers, Stone Temple Pilots, Steppenwolf, U2, Aerosmith, AC/DC, Guns N'Roses, Ian Hunter (Great White, you know the song), Tommy Tutone, Cheap Trick, Poison and Bon Jovi. All three players sounded solid, with Jeff cleverly using various guitar effects to keep his sound fresh from song to song.

After a 20-minute intermission, The Verge opened their nightcap set with Metallica's "Enter Sandman," before drum man Steve showed his rowdy voice on George Thorogood's "I Drink Alone." Jeff and Matt continued to alternate lead singing duties on numbers by Lenny Kravitz, Ugly Kid Joe and Steve Earle, before Steve again sang the lead from behind the kit on ZZ Top's "Sharp Dressed Man." Jeff then sang on Blink 182's "All the Small Things," followed by Matt crooning Robert Palmer's "Addicted to Love." The music continued with tunes from Seven Mary Three, Poison, Pink Floyd, and finally, AC/DC's "The Jack" to close out the show.

The Verge did a very good job on the music end, and they received favorable response from the small-ish audience. And at least based on the quality music and food being offered up this Friday night at 30 Something, I expect to be back to do this combination again frequently!

Jeff Renner and Matt Burns of The Verge.

Jeff Renner of The Verge.

The Verge, entertaining diners at 30 Something.

Matt Burns of The Verge.

Once again, Jeff Renner of The Verge.

KUN-TAJUS (CD RELEASE SHOW) @ BEDFORD ARTS CENTER, BEDFORD 4/5/08

This Saturday night, I was doing a live music doubleheader, and both ends of it were noteworthy events.

I first headed to Bedford, where a CD-release event and benefit were taking place. Bedford's Kun-Tajus was unveiling their new CD, Chrome Hog Saloon, with a special CD-release event at the Bedford Arts Center, with proceeds helping out the March Of Dimes. A dinner opened the evening, and I arrived in time to enjoy a little of that (I actually forgot about the food portion of the evening and ate elsewhere prior, but nibbled on some veggies and fruits after arriving). Seating was limited, and tickets to the event were pre-sold, with an audience of around 60 folks gathered to take in the evening.

After the dinner, Kun-Tajus - singers/guitarists Mike Clapper (brother of the Hurricanes' Jeff) and Chad Patterson, bassist Dave Wagner and drummer Jack Carrigan - entertained the audience with a selection of original songs from both the new album and their first CD No Cure, as well as a number of classic rock favorites from Lynyrd Skynyrd, BTO, CCR, Led Zeppelin, Deep Purple and more.

The evening featured several highlights along the way. Early on, Mike's daughter, Sarah, sang lead on a couple of numbers, including a new Kun-Tajus original song not on either CD. The group gave out numerous door prizes at 2-3 song intervals throughout the show, including prizes donated by a number of local businesses. And I even found myself becoming part of the action, as the group held a twist contest during their rendition of "Twist and Shout," with yours truly drafted to pick the winners!

Of course, Kun-Tajus did a number of songs from both of their CD's, demonstrating classic, southern rock, blues and country flavors. Some of the songs they performed off the new CD included the title song "Chrome Hog Saloon," "Rollin' Ramblin' Man," "I Was Wrong," "Rockin' Shoes," "How Many Hearts?," "Full Throttle" and "Broken Down Car."

Kun-Tajus did a decent job on the performance front. All four members are instrumentally solid, with Chad and Mike doing respectable jobs on the vocal end. They played good, sturdy rock'n'roll and kept the mood upbeat, making for a pleasant evening for the folks in attendance.

It was an enjoyable time while I was there. Shortly after Kun-Tajus started into their second set, I had to depart the party, as there was another important show happening in the Altoona vicinity that I needed to attend.

Kun-Tajus, with Mike Clapper’s daughter, Sarah, singing lead.

Again, Kun-Tajus with Sarah singing.

Again, Sarah singing lead.

Chad Patterson of Kun-Tajus.

Dave Wagner of Kun-Tajus.

Jack Carrigan of Kun-Tajus.

Mike Clapper of Kun-Tajus.

Kun-Tajus gets some folks dancing.

Jack and Chad of Kun-Tajus.

Chad Patterson of Kun-Tajus, blowing some harp.

Mike and Jack of Kun-Tajus.

JEFF WALLACK TRIBUTE SHOW @ ALDO'S, ALTOONA 4/5/08

Of course, the event I needed to get to in Altoona was happening at Aldo's. Besides myself, a number of Altoona area bands, musicians, friends and fans were again gathering at Aldo's to celebrate the memory of friend and guitarist Jeff Wallack and raise money for the St. Vincent DePaul Food Kitchen. This year's annual Jeff Wallack Tribute Show featured performances from The Flame Sky, Felix & the Hurricanes and Half Tempted; each featuring guest performers as they celebrated the music that Jeff Wallack used to play and enjoy.

The Flame Sky soon kicked off the proceedings shortly after my arrival. Singer Steve Oswalt and guitarist Scott Botteicher joined The Flame Sky for several Iron Maiden numbers, including "Wrathchild," "Transylvania" into "Remember Tomorrow" and "Phantom of the Opera;" before doing a Black Label Society number, "In This River." Keyboardist Phil Steele then joined the musicians on Ozzy Osbourne's "Mr. Crowley" and UFO's "Let It Roll," before the musicians dazzled the house with a rendition of Pink Floyd's "Pigs (Three Different Ones)." The Flame Sky and their guests set the bar high for the evening with this entire set, and electrified the near packed-house audience. We knew we were in for a special night!

Here is video from The Flame Sky's performance:

http://www.rockpage.net/users/jprice/video/MOV00659.MPG

The Flame Sky, with guests Steve Oswalt and Scott Botteicher.

Shawn Shultz and Ed Brinkel of The Flame Sky.

Again, The Flame Sky and guests kick off the evening.

Jason Feathers of The Flame Sky.

Steve Oswalt and Jason Feathers.

Jason Feathers and Scott Botteicher.

Ed Brinkel and Steve Oswalt.

Matching wits on guitars, Jason Feathers and Scott Botteicher.

Jason and Scott, with Phil Steele joining in on keys.

Next up was a band rarely ever seen on Aldo's stage, Felix & the Hurricanes. But as drummer Bob Watters explained shortly into their set, Jeff Wallack was a Hurricane early on, and contributed guitarwork to songs on the second Hurricanes album, Travelers Not Forgotten. Jeff contributed something else to the Hurricanes as well; illuminating the stage with a rotating color light Jeff playfully donated to them years ago, Felix & the Hurricanes performed their blend of classics and original songs. Bob, singer and guitar man Felix Kos and bassist and singer Jeff Clapper performed original song favorites such as "Issues," "Walking a Straight Line," "Black Widow," "Lonely One," "Just a Fool," "Backyard Rocker Rocks" and "Free." They also broke out versions of Santana's "Europa," Ted Nugent's "Free for All," the Allman Brothers' "Soulshine" and Pat Travers' "Boom Boom (Out Go the Lights)." The centerpiece of the Hurricanes' set, though, was a free-for-all jam session edition of the Doors' "Roadhouse Blues" where they were joined by Phil Steele on keys, Joe George and The Flame Sky's Jason Feathers on guitars, and Steve Oswalt going full Morrison meltdown on lead vocals. The musicians then closed out the Hurricanes' set with Steppenwolf's "Born to Be Wild."

Here is video from Felix & the Hurricanes' performance:

http://www.rockpage.net/users/jprice/video/MOV00661.MPG

Felix & the Hurricanes commence their Jeff Wallack Tribute Show performance.

Jeff Clapper of the Hurricanes.

Again, the Hurricanes.

Two things that should arguably never appear together in the same picture; Felix Kos and a disco ball (left hanging from the rafters after Aldo's 'Prom Night' the weekend before).

Hurricane Felix with the special "light show" Jeff Wallack contributed to the Hurricanes in the early 90's, resurrected this night.

Steve Oswalt fronts a Hurricanes jam session on “Roadhouse Blues.”

Steve delivers a Jim Morrison meltdown as the jam continues.

After a short intermission, Half Tempted played a brief set with Joe George helping on guitar. Joe, singer/guitarist Ron Dalansky, bassist Paul Barsom and drummer Clint Carothers played renditions of Buckcherry's "Crazy Bitch," Drivin' N'Cryin's "Fly Me Courageous," Kiss' "Detroit Rock City" and AC/DC's "You Shook Me All Night Long."

Half Tempted kicks off their brief set.

Again, Half Tempted.

Ronny D of Half Tempted.

Clint Carothers of Half Tempted.

Paul Barsom of Half Tempted.

Once again, Half Tempted.

Joe George joins in with Half Tempted.

Paul Barsom and Joe George.

Again, Clint Carothers of Half Tempted.

At this point, Ron announced that a special collaboration would be convening on stage. Called Iron Sausage, this gathering of various musicians finished the night with a set of special song selections that Jeff Wallack performed and/or enjoyed. Ron, Joe, Steve and Clint started off with Def Leppard’s “Wasted” and Queen’s “Tie Your Mother Down.” Then Phil on keys and Todd Lane on acoustic guitar joined the group onstage, and Clint introduced a special rendition of Jeff's favorite song, Kansas' "Hold On." This came off beautifully, followed by a rendition of Queensryche’s “Silent Lucidity.” Steve then introduced a variation on Elton John’s early 70’s hit “Daniel,” retitled “Jeffrey.” The Flame Sky’s Jason Feathers then joined in for the scorching, night-ending rendition of UFO's "Lights Out."

Here are the "Iron Sausages" doing Kansas' "Hold On:"

http://www.rockpage.net/users/jprice/video/MOV00670.MPG

“Iron Sausage” begins their collaborative tribute to Jeff.

Joe George, Steve Oswalt and Ron Dalansky.

Todd Lane and Phil Steele join in as “Iron Sausage” commences their performance of Kansas’ “Hold On.”

The "Iron Sausage" collaboration pays homage to Jeff with their performance of Kansas' "Hold On."

Again, "Iron Sausage."

Steve Oswalt, Joe George and Todd Lane.

Clint Carothers and Phil Steele.

Once again, “Iron Sausage.”

Steve Oswalt and Todd Lane of "Iron Sausage."

Jason Feathers, Steve Oswalt and Ronny D jam out on some UFO.

Again, Jason, Steve and Ron.

Jason and Steve.

Ron Dalansky.

The "Iron Sausage" UFO rockfest continues.

Jason, Joe and Ron.

Jason Feathers and Joe George.

This capped another evening of great musical performances and fond remembrances of Jeff Wallack. As with Jeff Wallack Tribute Shows before, this night featured inspired musical performances, camaraderie among the musicians and fans, and lots of Jeff stories being swapped both on and off the stage. And it all helped out a good cause, with several hundred dollars being raised for the St. Vincent DePaul Food Kitchen.

GREEN EGGS @ PELLEGRINE'S, ALTOONA 4/6/08

Originally, I didn't think I would be able to be out and checking out live music on this particular Sunday night. Weeks before, I had received notification in the mail that I was to serve federal jury duty in Johnstown District Court starting early on Monday morning. I sent two letters to the court requesting my exemption from serving jury duty. The first request had been turned down. I don't know if my second letter was successful, or if some other circumstance (such as the case being settled out of court prior to the trial's start) was responsible, but I learned on Friday that my jury service had been cancelled. So I was in good spirits this Sunday night, because I could be out and enjoying myself, instead of catching Z's at home for a drive to Johnstown the next morning.

Of course, assisting in my festive mood was Green Eggs, firing up the party on Pellegrine's stage this night. As expected, the party juggernaut of singer/keyboardist Brian Nicarry, bassist/keyboardist Brad Nicarry, guitarist Matt Day and drummer Doug Black already had a crowd on Pelly’s dance floor as I arrived early in their second set. Green Eggs again proceeded to merge a kitchen sink selection of tunes into nonstop, uptempo grooves that kept the dance floor busy. This set included freewheeling numbers from Buckcherry, Dexy’s Midnight Runners, James, Blur, Jackson 5, Bon Jovi, Twisted Sister, Guns N’Roses, Beastie Boys, Isley Brothers, House Of Pain, Journey and more. Brian and Brad swapped and handled the lion’s share of lead vocal duties, with Matt singing the occasional song or two.

During the intermission, I learned that Brian was on the mend this night; his wrists bandaged after treatments for carpal tunnel. It wasn’t hindering him much, if any; he was still bringing the energy and enthusiasm behind the keyboard.

Soon Green Eggs was back to fire up the party for one more set, opening with Lustra’s “Scotty Doesn’t Know,” and firing through more diverse favorites from Tommy James, Queen, Green Day, Ratt, Quiet Riot, AC/DC, some urban hip hop sounds and more. Once again the dance floor remained busy through it all, as Green Eggs kept the party firing on all cylinders.

After the show ended, “Big Jim” Ricotta and I chatted with Brian, who gave us a little insight into what Green Eggs does, and their objective of keeping the folks dancing and happy on any given night. We chatted about Brian’s past original band, the 80’s Christian-metal band Messiah Prophet. Brian realizes the struggles of going the original route, and he and his bandmates made the decision that they prefer playing to crowded dance floors. And as he said, they are still having fun doing it, a dozen years after Green Eggs first hit regional stages!

Green Eggs provided a fun finish to my weekend, and the knowledge that I wouldn’t have to serve the federal judicial system the next morning made it even more enjoyable!

Green Eggs brings the party to Pellegrine’s.

With his wrists in bandages, Brian Nicarry of Green Eggs.

Brad Nicarry of Green Eggs.

Again, Green Eggs.

Matt Day of Green Eggs.

Again, Brian Nicarry of Green Eggs.

Again, Matt Day of Green Eggs.

JP’s HAIKU

Jeff Wallack Tribute
Musicians, friends honor Jeff
Special, heartfelt night

http://pamusician.net
 Back to top »
Jim Price