· The Forums
· The Final Cut
WEEK/WEEKEND RECAP 4/21/08
ROCKPAGE Forum Index » JP's Corner
previous topic :: next topic  
Jim Price

Post Posted: Wednesday May 14, 2008 

WEEK/WEEKEND RECAP 4/21/08

ST. FRANCIS UNIVERSITY WORLD DRUMMING ENSEMBLE @ JFK AUDITORIUM, ST. FRANCIS UNIVERSITY, LORETTO 4/14/08

It's a rare occasion that I ever check out live music on Monday nights. Usually, there's not much happening on Mondays to begin with, plus Monday is my acknowledged "night off" from my bandwatching endeavors, so I'm usually feasting on wings with friends at Pellegrine's. But this Monday night provided an extremely rare situation; not only was I witnessing live music this night, I actually did a live music doubleheader!

The front end of that doubleheader happened at St. Francis University's JFK Auditorium, where the spring concert of St. Francis University's World Drumming Ensemble was taking place. I had been invited by Ensemble members to come check it out before, but work schedule and winter weather conditions always conspired to derail my plans until this night. The weather was perfect, and my work duties this night minimal, so I did the haul up the hill to Loretto to see what this was all about.

I arrived just in the nick of time, stepping in the doors of the auditorium just seconds before the lights dimmed. It was a capacity audience in attendance, and I actually had to stand in the back of the auditorium, as mostly all the seats were taken.

Arranged and directed by Rusted Root drummer Jim Donovan, the Ensemble features over 30 musicians of varying experience levels, hand drumming on djembes and ashikos and performing a wide repertoire of material. During this night's hour-long free performance, the Ensemble performed traditional African percussion numbers, starting with “Mutwashi” from the Congo region, followed by “Kpanlogo” from Ghana, “Fanga Al Afia” from Liberia, “Ajaja” from Nigeria, and “Kakilambe” from Guinea. Next was a percussive arrangement of Led Zeppelin's "Four Sticks," with two familiar area music faces, Kirk and Kent Tonkin of The Grimm, playing guitar and bass respectively, and Rebecca Wojtaszek singing the lead vocal. Next the ensemble took on a Rusted Root number, "Back to the Earth;" with Kaylyn Oshaben on guitar. Jim Donovan then went behind his own drum kit for his own original composition, “Drum the Ecstatic.” The Ensemble then did the Santana arrangement of "Jingo," before the performance concluded with Bob Marley’s “Three Little Birds,” sung by keyboard player Brandon King.

This entire performance maintained a joyous, uplifting vibe as the performers – including St. Francis students, faculty and area residents – celebrated togetherness through rhythm. You could tell by the smiles on the stage that everyone was having fun creating their wide array of percussion-based sounds this night.

As the auditorium lights came up, I quickly learned that there were several musicians in the house and taking in the performance, including members of Chris V. & the Stanley Street Band, Kitty Whip and Loudmouth.

The Saint Francis World Drumming Ensemble takes a break during the summer months, but will reconvene during fall semester. They welcome new members, including beginners. They meet on Monday evenings, and drums are provided.

I have a set of bongos and a cajon. I wonder if the Ensemble could use an inexperienced cajon player?

The Saint Francis University World Drumming Ensemble, presenting their Spring Concert.

I see Missy Bailey (center, in green); yes, Missy is part of the Ensemble!

Again, the Saint Francis University World Drumming Ensemble.

Ensemble director Jim Donovan.

Singing lead on Led Zeppelin’s “Four Sticks,” Rebecca Wojtaszek of the St. Francis World Drumming Ensemble.

Once again, the Saint Francis University World Drumming Ensemble.

Kirk Tonkin, playing guitar with the Ensemble.

Both Tonkin brothers, Kirk and Kent, perform with the Ensemble.

Brandon King sings and plays keys with the Ensemble on Bob Marley’s “Three Little Birds.”

ADAM D @ PELLEGRINE'S, ALTOONA 4/14/08

For the second half of my live music doubleheader, I headed to my usual Monday night destination, Pellegrine's, where my weekly wing feast would be serenaded with live tunes, courtesy of Adam D. This was the return of a longtime stint from years before, when Adam D and Zupe used to grace Pelly's stage on Monday nights. The tradition was restored after the recent successful Big Jim & Bad Daze Rob Monday St. Patrick's night performance; the folks at Pelly's decided to give live music on Mondays another go.

Armed with his keyboards, Adam D entertained the wing-eating Pelly's audience with a wide variety of sounds old and new. He was performing Jethro Tull’s “Locomotive Breath” as I arrived and ordered up my fix of hot-sauce coated poultry limbs. Adam continued with ZZ Top’s “La Grange,” and a lounge-flavored spin on Nirvana's "Come As You Are." The set continued with tunes from the Beatles, Counting Crows, Guns N’Roses and Aerosmith, before finishing with David Essex’s “Rock On.”

Adam D’s presence was achieving the desired purpose, as a good-sized contingent of folks populated Pellegrine’s main bar and a number of the tables. And a few folks were singing and grooving along, and even dancing, to Adam’s sounds.

Adam’s next set launched with a logical keyboard favorite, Billy Joel’s “Piano Man.” Adam’s musical journey this time included tunes from Billy Idol, Dream Theater, a ZZ Top medley, 3 Doors Down, Eric Clapton, Rick Springfield, Prince, Bad Company, Fuel, Wild Cherry and more. Also included were the album version of Argent’s “Hold Your Head Up,” and Adam’s variation on Queen’s “Bohemian Rhapsody.”

An Adam D tradition made its return along the way as well, given I was in the audience…”Stump the Professor.” A few times during the show, Adam would put my musical knowledge to the test. This first night back at Pelly’s, his only success was stumping me on an obscure Dream Theater number.

After the second intermission, Meat Loaf’s “Paradise By the Dashboard Light” kicked off the nightcap set. After Bryan Adams’ “Summer of ’69,” Adam sent his rendition of Buckcherry’s “Crazy Bitch” to Pelly’s main lady Natalie behind the bar. The set continued with favorites from Violent Femmes, Styx, Bon Jovi, Dead Or Alive, Radiohead, Ramones, Pearl Jam, Prince, Blur, David Bowie, and finally, Marc Cohn’s “Walking in Memphis” to end the set. The Pellegrine’s crowd wanted an encore, and Adam responded with his own take on “Folsom Prison Blues.”

Live music’s return to Mondays at Pellegrine’s was a success. Adam D is one of several acts providing Monday music at Pellegrine's. Needless to say, it’s a no-brainer that with live music to go with the best wings in town, Pellegrine’s has further sealed the deal and will remain my Monday night hangout!

Back playing on select Monday nights at Pellegrine’s, Adam D.

Again, Adam D.

Non-musical highlight of the night was watching Pelly’s staffer Misty taking down challengers in arm-wrasslin.’

ROCK & RYE @ THE BELMAR HOTEL, ALTOONA 4/17/08

It had been a little while since I had witnessed the dynamic duo of Greg “Rock” Burley and Ryan “Rye” Clark in action. So, able to escape the workplace at a relatively early hour this Thursday night, I headed over to the Belmar Hotel to grab a bite to eat and catch the latter part of Rock & Rye’s performance.

A good-sized grouping of folks was gathered around the Belmar main bar, and several were seated in the music room and taking in Rock & Rye’s performance. I was able to procure a stagefront table to view the pair from, and soon ordered up a brew, a few wings and nachos.

Greg and Ryan were again providing their “acoustic intoxication” mix of current and classic favorites, offering some lighthearted humor in between songs along the way. (One patron joked to me, “Don’t laugh at them, it just encourages them!”) I arrived as the pair was doing Puddle Of Mudd’s “She Hates Me;” they continued with versions of Billy Joel’s “You May Be Right,” Kenny Wayne Shepherd’s “Bloe on Black,” Steely Dan’s “Rikki Don’t Lose That Number,” CCR’s “Lodi,” Bob Dylan’s “Like a Hurricane” and Bad Company’s “Feel Like Makin’ Love.” Greg then demonstrated his convincing Man-In Black groan on Johnny’s “Folsom Prison Blues,” followed by Metallica’s “Nothing Else Matters,” a Stone Sour tune, Van Morrison’s “Brown-Eyed Girl” and Hootie & the Blowfish’s “Hold My Hand.” At this point, an apparently acoustically intoxicated young lady loudly demanded to hear a song the pair had performed earlier, Lynyrd Skynyrd’s ever-popular “Free Bird.” The pair hesitated to grant this request, but the lady was persistent and was rewarded. She rewarded the pair by joining them to help sing the song. You gotta love drunk women! It was all in good fun, and Rock & Rye had fun as they cavorted their way through the Skynyrd classic to finish the night.

It was another laid-back, fun acoustic party as only Rock & Rye can deliver it. And coupled with the Belmar’s Cajun wings and huge nacho platter (somehow I was able to eat the whole thing, although fitting behind the steering wheel of my car afterward was a challenge), it was a good way to unwind after a day at the workplace.

Serving up another round of “acoustic intoxication,” Rock & Rye.

A happy fan helps Rock & Rye sing “Free Bird.”

NOTHING SACRED @ ALDO’S, ALTOONA 4/17/08

I wasn’t done yet this night, though. Since Rock & Rye were done shortly after 11 PM, I decided to head over to Aldo’s and check in with another acoustic entity, Nothing Sacred.

Aldo’s wasn’t especially crowded when I arrived during Nothing Sacred’s second set. Tim Mort and Tom Noel on acoustic guitars, and Cheeze on voice entertained the onlookers with their unique mixture of select favorites, a few original songs and acoustic punk numbers. The remainder of this second set included select numbers from Against Me and The Cure, as well as a request for Tom Petty’s “American Girl” for a group of rowdy ladies in front of the stage, Johnny Cash’s “Folsom Prison Blues” and Rancid’s “Ruby Soho” to close the set.

Nothing Sacred’s nightcap set included songs from the Dropkick Murphys, Misfits, and Alice In Chains; also renditions of Red Hot Chili Peppers’ “Under the Bridge,” Social Distortion’s “Ball and Chain,” and the trio’s usual finisher, Prince’s “Purple Rain.” Along the way, the rowdy group of ladies danced and cheered the group as they performed. After the show, the ladies perpetrated sex crimes against Cheeze, and then on each other as the night drew to a close. You gotta love drunk women!

Nothing Sacred, entertaining some frisky female fans.

Cheeze of Nothing Sacred.

UNDERGROUND TV “PIRATES VS. NINJAS” NIGHT w/WHITE WITCH/BLAKKJAK/STUCK IN KAOS @ ALDO’S, ALTOONA 4/18/08

This night, my destination was Aldo’s, as The Underground Television presented a hard-hitting triple-bill. As the Underground was filming this night, they were also presenting an interesting theme night, "Pirates vs. Ninjas night." As a number of folks decked out in costume; White Witch, Blakkjak and Stuck In Kaos brought three different flavors of heavy rock to Aldo's stage. (As for me, I couldn’t find my Pittsburgh Pirates ballcap, but I did eat at Hong Kong Buffet before coming to Aldo’s this night, so I guess that puts me closer to the “ninja” side of the spectrum…)

Williamsport's White Witch kicked off the night with their classic 70's/80's-geared heavy rock sound, as they performed tunes off both of their CD's. Singer Jeff Pittinger, guitarist Doug Lehman, bassist Bill Zimmerman and drummer Carl Berry had to battle some mic cord issues after opening the set with their title song “White Witch;” but once this problem was resolved, the group performed such numbers as the title track to their first album, The Power, “Slaughter in Salem” off their new Never Dies the Dream disc, “Marrianne,” “Game That I Play,” “The Crutch” and “25 Hours to Live.” White Witch also did renditions of Alice Cooper's "No More Mr. Nice Guy" and Black Sabbath's "Paranoid." The group was again instrumentally solid, with Doug again showing some fiery lead solo work along the way. Jeff vented a little bit on how screwed up the streets in Altoona are (apparently this was his first time trying to find Juniata – welcome to the club Jeff!). Despite the technical problems early on, White Witch received a favorable response from the Aldo’s audience.

With the Underground Television cameras rolling, White Witch opens the night at Aldo’s.

Jeff Pittinger of White Witch.

Doug Lehman and Jeff Pittinger of White Witch.

Bill Zimmerman of White Witch.

Again, Doug Lehman of White Witch.

Carl Berry of White Witch.

Once again, Doug Lehman of White Witch.

Again, Carl Berry of White Witch.

One more time, Doug Lehman and Jeff Pittinger of White Witch.

Next was young McConnellsburg-based foursome Blakkjak. Singer/guitarist Trent Sowers, guitarist Hunter Homistek, bassist Zakk Deshong and drummer Logan Peck introduced their brand of melody-geared hard rock as they did a series of original numbers such as "Haze," "Faded," “Albatross,” “Little Girl,” the acoustic "Step Back" and the closer "Blitzkrieg Destruction." The group did one cover song, a Black Stone Cherry number. Blakkjak sounded good overall, as this young quartet was tight on their instruments, and Trent demonstrated a strong mid-ranged voice in the Creed/Godsmack vein. Blakkjak received rousing applause from the Aldo’s audience; this group should be one to watch out for as they continue to develop!

The night’s second band, Blakkjak.

Trent Sowers of Blakkjak.

Again, Blakkjak.

Again, Trent Sowers of Blakkjak.

The winner of TheUnderground TV's Online Battle of the Bands contest, West Virginia's Stuck In Kaos, capped the night with their blistering brand of intense cyber-flavored metalcore. I have seen this band a time or two before, but was particularly blown away by their set this night –especially with drummer Chris Faircloth; this guy was an absolute maniac, slamming the splinters out of his kit and doing frequent stick acrobatics, yet displaying precision and not missing a beat! Stuck In Kaos played blistering original numbers such as “Vicious Reign,” “Cut Tongue,” “Down,” “Away,” “Anti Trust,” “Reclamation” and “Chemical Mind;” before finishing the night with their own pounding take on House Of Pain’s “Jump Around.” Chris, guitarist Jeremy Dove, keyboard/sample man Mike Cloud and an unidentified bass player kept the sound tight and agitated, setting the turbulent backdrop for frontman Jeff Deeds’ tension-and-release singing and venting. Stuck In Kaos kept a rowdy contingent of Aldo’s fans cheering at the front of the stage.

Here is some rough video footage of Stuck In Kaos:

http://www.rockpage.net/users/jprice/video/MOV00748.MPG

Stuck In Kaos kicks off their explosive set at Aldo’s.

Again, Stuck In Kaos.

Jeff Deeds of Stuck In Kaos sings to the Underground Street Team.

Jeff and unidentified bass player dude from Stuck In Kaos (sorry, his name is nowhere on their website or Myspace!).

Mike Cloud of Stuck In Kaos.

Again, the unidentified bass player for Stuck In Kaos.

Jeremy Dove of Stuck In Kaos.

Again, Stuck In Kaos.

Again, Jeff Deeds of Stuck In Kaos.

Chris Faircloth of Stuck In Kaos.

A gathering of fans looks on as Stuck In Kaos continues their set.

Again, Chris Faircloth of Stuck In Kaos. This guy was an absolute maniac behind the kit!

After all three bands delivered their musical goods onstage, Rockpager Esa provided post-game highlights with her uncontrollable “Weet” laugh-fest by Aldo’s front door, with hubby DMFJ03 and yours truly pouring gasoline on the fire.

Here is some rough video footage of Esa laughing…the video is very dark, but you should hear her laughter quite well!

http://www.rockpage.net/users/jprice/video/MOV00753.MPG

I don’t know who won between the pirates and the ninjas in the house, but the music fans won as they witnessed three original bands with distinct styles and flavors. Good show!

After the show, the Deathmaster drives Esa into hysterical laughter.

A ninja and a pirate do battle after the show.

LIMB BY LIMB/FISTFUL OF HATE/DRAGON FIRE @ ALDO’S, ALTOONA 4/19/08

Aldo’s was again my live music destination this Saturday night, as, I caught two-thirds of the hard-hitting triple-bill featuring Dragon Fire, Fistful of Hate and Limb By Limb.

I arrived too late for the opening band and missed Limb By Limb’s set, but arrived in time to catch my first look at Clearfield County thrashcore rockers Fistful of Hate. Lead vocalist Todd, guitarists Travis and Twang and drummer Jay brought forth a full-out, intense and focused sound as they roared out original songs such as “Lethal,” “My Demons,” “Limb By Limb,” “Finger on the Trigger” and “Gone Forever” (about a friend lost to drugs); the group also performed a version of Slayer’s “Bloodline.” Todd’s feral howls were intense, and Jay’s forceful drumming packed ample wallop behind Fistful of Hate’s sound. I was impressed with Fistful of Hate’s firepower and tightness, as well as their busy and shifting rhythms and tempos. For fans of the heavy arts, these guys are well worth seeing!

Todd of Fistful of Hate.

It’s fist-raising fun as Fistful of Hate rocks Aldo’s.

Twang and Todd of Fistful of Hate.

Jay of Fistful of Hate.

Again, Fistful of Hate with stagefront fans.

More Fistful of Hate.

Once again, Fistful of Hate.

A good-sized crowd was in attendance and started congregating at the front of the stage in anticipation of Dragon Fire’s set. There was a slight delay to the start of their set as one of the speakers on stage went bad. As soundman Steve and the band realized this couldn’t be remedied quickly, Dragon Fire decided that the show must go on, and made the best of it. Dragon Fire played up the problem as a part of their usual self-depreciation, not taking it or themselves seriously. Lead growler “Robo” Ron Riley, guitarist Chris Peters, bassist Eric Shumac and drummer Steve Stuckey piledrove punishing favorites like “Rush,” “Unstoppable,” “Speak,” “You Thought,” “Cutting Dead Weight,” “Decoration on Darkened Days” and more, along with several newer assaults, and their popular finishing rendition of Green Jello’s “Three Little Pigs.” Once again, I witnessed the appeal of this band and their one-on-one connection with their fans. Dragon Fire’s caustic brand of hard-hitting music addressed serious themes from D.C. warmongering to abuse of our planet to the horrors of drug addiction – real, down-to-earth themes and concerns we all worry about every day. But while their subject matter was serious and their delivery brutal and intense, this band never took themselves too seriously or acted preachy, putting themselves on the same level as their fans and having fun with them along the way.

It capped a night of hard-hitting music and fun. Even a blown speaker couldn’t derail this show!

Steve Stuckey of Dragon Fire.

Chris Peters of Dragon Fire.

Rowdy fans cheer on “Robo” Ron and Chris of Dragon Fire.

Eric Shumac of Dragon Fire.

“Robo” Ron Riley of Dragon Fire, out in the crowd.

Again, “Robo” Ron.

A big crowd of fans looks on as Dragon Fire rocks Aldo’s.

Again, Dragon Fire.

Again, Chris Peters of Dragon Fire.

Once again, “Robo” Ron.

The Underground Street Team ladies do some speaker dancing to Dragon Fire.

Again, Dragon Fire and rowdy fans.

One more time, Dragon Fire and fans.

FLIGHT 19 @ PELLEGRINE’S, ALTOONA 4/20/08

My weekend reached its conclusion with a trip aboard the “Party Plane,” as Flight 19 capped the weekend this Sunday night at Pellegrine’s.

After cleaning up after a rousing “Backyard Rocker” jam session with Chris V. & the Stanley Street Band, I arrived at Pellegrine’s well after midnight, during Flight 19’s second intermission. A good-sized contingent of revelers was in the house and having a good time.

The trusty flight crew of singer Brian Thomas, guitarists John McKelvey and Scott Imler, keyboardist Phil Steele, bassist Tim Kelly and drummer Darin Hand fired up the party during their third set with favorites from John Cafferty & the Beaver Brown Band, Poison, AC/DC, Seether, Ramones, Buckcherry and more. The group broke out their disco/funk medley, as well as a rendition of My Chemical Romance’s “Teenagers.” When the Pelly’s dance floor partiers demanded an encore at night’s end, light technician Bob Canistraci joined Flight 19 onstage to help bark out the words to Drowning Pool’s “Bodies” and the Linkin Park spin on “Faith.”

The “Party Plane” had landed, and the weekend was over. What I witnessed was a good time, as Flight 19 again fired on all cylinders and delivered the good time.

Scott Imler of Flight 19.

Tim Kelly and Scott Imler of Flight 19.

John McKelvey and Scott Imler of Flight 19.

Phil Steele of Flight 19.

Flight 19 gets ‘em dancing at Pellegrine’s.

Again, Flight 19.

Darin Hand of Flight 19.

The “Party Plane” takes flight again.

Tim Kelly and Brian Thomas of Flight 19.

John McKelvey and Brian Thomas of Flight 19.

Light tech Bob Canistraci belts out some voice with Flight 19.

Flight 19’s party continues.

Two ladies display back-to-back dance moves on stage with Flight 19.

Bob and Brian belt out voices towards the end of the “Party Plane’s” flight.

Scott Imler of Flight 19, with the Iceman helping out on backing vocals.

A lady busts some dance moves alongside Scott Imler of Flight 19.

One more time, Scott Imler of Flight 19, with guest backing singer the Iceman.

JP’S HAIKU

Saint Francis drum fest
Togetherness through rhythm
World drumming gang bang!

http://pamusician.net
 Back to top »
Jim Price

Post Posted: Saturday Dec 19, 2009 

http://pamusician.net
 Back to top »
ROCKPAGE Forum Index » JP's Corner
Page 1 of 1