· The Final Cut
WEEK/WEEKEND RECAP 5/5/08
ROCKPAGE Forum Index » JP's Corner
previous topic :: next topic  
Jim Price

Post Posted: Friday May 16, 2008 

WEEK/WEEKEND RECAP 5/5/08

ADAM D @ PELLEGRINE'S, ALTOONA 4/28/08

Monday wing night at Pelly’s again provided live music, with Adam D flying solo this night.

I arrived just before the start of Adam’s set, and again, a good-sized contingent of wing-eaters and revelers were in the house to unwind with food, brew and Adam.

Adam mixed up the setlist this night, doing a number of tunes I hadn’t heard him do during the previous two weeks with and without Big Jim Ricotta. During his second set, for example, the only two songs he carried over from the previous week were Guns N’Roses’ “Sweet Child O’ Mine” and Wild Cherry’s “Play That Funky Music. The rest of the set was different, and provided a few surprises; opening up with Pink Floyd’s “Money,” and including Live’s “Lightning Crashes,” the Manfred Mann’s Earth Band variation on Bruce Springsteen’s “Blinded By the Light” (which Adam used in a vain attempt to “stump the Professor”), Simon & Garfunkel’s “Hazy Shade of Winter” (which he also quizzed me on), Steve Miller Band’s “Rock N’ Me,” Type O Negative’s “Love You to Death” (another “stump the Professor” attempt that didn’t succeed), Crosby Stills Nash & Young’s “Ohio” and Kid Rock’s “Cowboy.”

Likewise, Adam’s final set featured a lot of different song material not performed the previous two weeks. Meat Loaf’s “Paradise by the Dashboard Light” from the previous two weeks was replaced by “Bat Out of Hell” to open the set, followed by Van Morrison’s “Brown Eyed Girl,” the Bee Gees’ “You Should Be Dancing,” Gary Wright’s “Love Is Alive,” Marc Cohn’s “Walking to Memphis,” Prince’s “Kiss,” Robert Palmer’s “Bad Case of Loving You,” Buckcherry’s “Crazy Bitch” (again sent out to Natalie behind the bar), Alice In Chains’ “Man in the Box,” Eddy Arnold’s “Make the World Go Away” (ten days before Eddy passed away, who knew?) and Billy Idol’s “Rebel Yell” to cap the night. And Adam did eventually “stump the Professor,” but had to pull out an Ultravox song to do it.

Adam’s performance was jovial and bright, as he frequently addressed the Pelly’s crowd and kept them interested in the show. He mixed up the textures and sounds emanating from his keyboards as well, keeping the sound fresh and changing throughout the show.

Once again, live music and wings converged at Pellegrine’s to put life into an otherwise dull Monday night.

STEAM CITY RIDERS/HEAVY RADIO @ THE HITCHING POST, ALTOONA 5/2/08

When I saw Colin Lennox and his didjeridoo sitting in with Chris V & the Stanley Street Band the previous week at Al's Tavern, Colin had mentioned that he had a project together called the Steam City Riders. This night, they were performing at the Hitching Post, so I stopped by to discover what they were about.

The musicians were on break when I arrived, and unfortunately, given it was a new band name in town on a Friday night, the crowd at the Hitching Post was minimal.

When the music soon resumed, it was a guest who took the stage, singer/guitarist Harold Taddy of Heavy Radio, backed by Colin on didjeridoo and Jon on djembe. Harold performed a few original songs such as “Friends,” “Purple Rose” and “Lifetime,” demonstrating a slight Perry Farrell/Janes’ Addiction acoustic sound. Then after playing musical chairs (well, they are musicians), the Steam City Riders took the forefront, with Jon singing and playing guitar, Colin on didj, Harold tapping out rhythms on the djembe, and another friend and guest, Sav Sankaran, playing bass. This combination of musicians continued with a psychedelic folk-flavored spin on “Miss Me When I’m Gone,” followed by Eric Clapton’s “After Midnight,” another song that turned into a freewheeling jam, and “Cannonball” to close the set.

This Steam City Riders/Heavy Radio collaboration was yielding some interesting sounds so far, as the musicians’ blending of their various instrumental elements and a few effects created a collective, psychedelic-geared folk sound. And these players were having fun, not letting the lack of audience bother them as they enjoyed making music together.

Soon the musicians returned to their instruments to perform a few more numbers. This short set touched on a few traditional folk, bluegrass and blues numbers, as well as some more free form jamming. Eventually, though the musicians surrendered to the lack of audience and called it a night.

It was cool while it lasted. Both the Steam City Riders and Heavy Radio contingents and guests brought an interesting array of instruments and styles to the Hitching Post stage, and provided a different listening experience. Hopefully I’ll get to witness both projects again – together or separately – sometime soon.

Harold “Harlo” Taddy performs some original songs with Colin Lennox and Jon from Steam City Riders.

It’s an interesting fusion of sounds as Jon, Colin, Harlo and Sav jam at the Hitching Post.

Again, the Steam City Riders and friends.

KILLER BOOTS @ 4D'S LOUNGE, ALTOONA 5/2/08

After Steam City Riders and friends finished out their performance at the Hitching Post, I headed over the hill to the 4D's Lounge to catch my first official look at the current inception of the former Matt Wagner Band, now called The Killer Boots. I arrived just as the group was capping their second set with Tool’s “Stinkfist” before a small-ish Dees crowd.

Matt Wagner is still front and center, singing and playing acoustic guitar; flanked by former Third Standard members Joe Scott on lead guitar and Manny Barbazzeni on drums, bassist Mark Cooper and keyboardist Scott Pappal.

Once the Killer Boots kicked into their nightcap set, they mixed up a variety of rocking favorites from the 70’s to present. They opened the set with Live’s “I Alone,” before Joe sang the lead on the Bloodhound Gang’s “The Bad Touch.” After another song, Matt worked the dance floor crowd as he sang Journey’s “Don’t Stop Believin,’” followed by The Darkness’ “I Believe in a Thing Called Love,” Rick Springfield’s “Jessie’s Girl,” The Outfield’s “Your Love,” Eddie Money’s “Take Me Home Tonight,” Bon Jovi’s “You Give Love a Bad Name,” Buckcherry’s “Crazy Bitch,” Big & Rich’s “Save a Horse, Ride a Cowboy” and more.

These Boots were made for rocking, and that’s just what they did. Matt’s voice was in good form and handled the variety of material well. Instrumentally the group was on the mark, and again I was impressed by Joe’s fluid and dazzling guitar solo displays along the way. They kept the music moving, and although the Dees wasn’t heavily populated, the group drew people onto the dance floor consistently and kept them there. The Killer Boots seem to be progressing well, and this night showed why they are becoming busier on regional stages.

Some non-musical entertainment closed out the night, as during the Killer Boots’ last song, two ladies on the dance floor got into a skirmish. They were quickly separated, but when the apparent aggressor, a diminutive and somewhat plump blonde, was instructed to leave the premises, she went drama queen and threw an all-out tantrum, resisting any and all efforts to remove her from the building. This was actually comical to watch, this bawling blonde trying to resist the Dees’ security staffers’ and management’s efforts to remove her from the premises, and losing the battle. Memo to drama queen: If you get into a scuffle and are told to leave the building, just grab your belongings and head out the door. Do you actually think if you bawl, kick and scream that the security staff will change their minds and let you STAY!? Hilarious!

This woman’s stupid human tricks provided a humorous end of the night. And it likely wasn’t humorous for her in the end, as I noted an Altoona police cruiser parked outside the door of the Dees as I departed, shortly after this skirmish took place…

Matt Wagner of the Killer Boots.

Matt and the Killer Boots.

Manny Barbazzeni of The Killer Boots.

Matt Wagner and the Killer Boots generate some dance floor traffic.

Joe Scott of the Killer Boots.

Scott Pappal of the Killer Boots.

Again, the Killer Boots with dance floor celebrants.

Again, Matt Wagner.

The Killer Boots’ party continues.

Once again, Matt Wagner of the Killer Boots.

More fun with the Killer Boots.

One more time, Matt Wagner and the Killer Boots.

SILVER SUNDAY @ SHAW'S BAR, ALTOONA 5/3/08

Silver Sunday was marking a half-decade on stage this night, with a special 5th anniversary party at Shaw's Bar in Juniata. Since Silver Sunday sightings in the 'Toona have become a rarity in recent months, I decided to take in the festivities.

I arrived just before the start of Silver Sunday’s first set, and a good-sized crowd of celebrants had already arrived at Shaw’s. I procured a vantage point at the main bar and ordered up a brew as singer Cathy, guitarist/singer Buck Dickson, bassist Mike Stanley and drummer Todd Harshbarger – plus the first of several special guests, former guitarist Jason Wechs – started off the night with Blondie’s “One Way or Another,” which transitioned into the Buggles’ “Video Killed the Radio Star.” By the time Silver Sunday started into the Mike-sung Sublime double-shot of “What I Got” and “Santeria,” dancers were already gracing Shaw’s small stagefront dancing space. Soon another guest would join the group onstage, as Rik “riksylvania” Golden played guitar during Silver Sunday’s fast-firing medley of Joan Jett’s “I Love Rock & Roll” into the Rolling Stones’ “Satisfaction” into Pat Benatar’s “Hit Me with Your Best Shot.” Another medley ensued, as the group bridged together John Mellencamp’s “R.O.C.K. in the U.S.A.,” the Romantics’ “What I Like About You” and the Buck-voiced Billy Idol favorite “Dancing with Myself.” Hole’s “Celebrity Skin” and Veruca Salt’s “Volcano Girls” brought the set to a close.

I was at Silver Sunday’s first show five years ago at Peter C’s, and I thought about how this band has come along since then to become one of this region’s established onstage parties. I recalled how timid Cathy was during that first show, as she was just getting her first taste of performing with a band. Fast forward to this night, as I watched Cathy constantly venturing off the stage and into the crowd, maneuvering throughout the Shaw’s complex and serenading audience members, whipping everybody into party mode!

After a short 15-minute intermission, Silver Sunday was back to continue the party, this time kicking off with Til Tuesday’s “Voices Carry.” The Toadies’ “Possum Kingdom” led into a ska-flavored take on Outfield’s “Your Love,” followed by Goldfinger’s “Here in Your Bedroom” and Fallout Boy’s “Sugar We’re Going Down.” Mike then fronted the group on a funk/hip-hop medley that pieced together House Of Paijn’s “Jump Around,” James Brown’s “Sex Machine (Get on Up),” Vanilla Ice’s “Ice Ice Baby” and more. At this point, another Silver Sunday alumnus, bassist Steve Seymore, joined the party, joining Jason Wechs and Silver Sunday onstage for Gloria Gaynor’s “I Will Survive,” the ‘Bucky Spears’ spin on Britney’s “…Baby One More Time” and the original tune “Cathedral Lights.” This was followed by another original tune, “I Know,” before Silver Sunday finished up the set with No Doubt’s “Just a Girl” and Alanis Morisette’s “You Oughts Know.”

The party was in high gear, and the booze was flowing freely throughout the house…apparently leading to one woman throwing up on the bar a few feet away from where I was sitting!

After another short 15-minute break, Silver Sunday returned for round three, kicking off in funky mode with the Mike Stanley-fronted rendition of the Commodores’ “Brick House,” continuing into Wild Cherry’s “Play That Funky Music.” I was logging some dance floor time and taking pictures during this set, but noted the group performing the Buck-fronted edition of Loverboy’s “Working for the Weekend,” Journey’s “Don’t Stop Believin,’” the soundman fronting the group on Black Sabbath’s “Paranoid,” and towards night’s end, Fallout Boy’s “Dance Dance.”

This was a fun celebration that quickly elevated to a festive high and never relinquished that energy the rest of the way. Silver Sunday cranked out the tunes at an uptempo and constant clip, with Cathy making frequent circuits around the room to keep everybody involved and prevent anyone from being left out. The group’s varied setlist and the frequent musical guest appearances kept the show fresh and exciting throughout. The night moved along at such a brisk clip, it didn’t feel like a full three sets!

Congratulations to Silver Sunday for achieving the five-year milestone. And here’s hoping this group delivers the pep and energy of this special night for at least another five years!

Cathy of Silver Sunday takes the party to the fans.

“Princess Truckstop” of Silver Sunday.

Yours truly getting serenaded by Cathy of Silver Sunday. The guy on the left popped his head into the picture as I pushed the shutter…

Returning alumnus Jason Wechs and Buck Dickson of Silver Sunday.

Todd Harshbarger of Silver Sunday.

Again out in the crowd, Cathy of Silver Sunday.

Cathy and Silver Sunday.

More Cathy of Silver Sunday.

Mike Stanley of Silver Sunday.

Cathy with another Silver Sunday alumnus, Steve Seymore.

Yet more Cathy of Silver Sunday!

Cathy primps her hair as Buck does the singing.

Again, Todd “Skate Toad” Harshbarger of Silver Sunday.

Silver Sunday’s soundman steps up to sing some Sabbath. (Try saying that five times real fast…)

Jason Wechs, the soundman and Buck.

Yours truly, obviously having a good time during the Silver Sunday 5th anniversary bash.

Todd and Buck of Silver Sunday. Check out the group’s lighted sign behind them!

Back to celebrate on Silver Sunday’s fifth anniversary, Steve Seymore and Jason Wechs.

One more time, Todd Harshbarger of Silver Sunday.

BAD DAZE @ PELLEGRINE'S, ALTOONA 5/4/08

The end of my weekend again traversed through Pellegrine’s, for the latest installment of Bad Daze’s rocking party.

This was pretty much business as usual, which was a good thing. I arrived early in Bad Daze’s second set, and found a good crowd on hand, and people on the dance floor partying down. Bad Daze Rob, Old Skool Kenny, Paul and Eric kept ‘em hopping with tunes from Green Day, Puddle Of Mudd, Buckcherry, Ozzy, Billy Idol, Nickelback, Weezer and more. And oh yeah, they did a rocking take on Elvis’ “Suspicious Minds.” Thank you very much…

The nightcap set rocked out the gates hard with Godsmack’s “Keep Away,” and charged along with tunes from Eminem, Rage Against the Machine, Jimmy Eats World, Disturbed, Drowning Pool, Saliva, Def Leppard and Blink 182. When the crowd demanded the encore at night’s end, Bad Daze capped the night with the Beastie Boys’ “Fight for Your Right (to Party).”

Again, it was business as usual, as Bad Daze kept the energy level high, the dance floor busy and the people happy.

A familiar sight: Bad Daze and a busy dance floor.

No, it’s not a Shaolin monk; it’s Eric Wertz of Bad Daze.

Rob Carolus of Bad Daze.

The party continues with Bad Daze.

Kenny Murdick of Bad Daze.

Another familiar sight: Ladies adorn the stage during a Bad Daze party at Pellegrine’s.

JP's HAIKU

Silver Sunday’s fifth
Half-decade of Bucky Spears
Cathy’s shy no more

http://pamusician.net
 Back to top »
Jim Price

Post Posted: Sunday Dec 20, 2009 

http://pamusician.net
 Back to top »
ROCKPAGE Forum Index » JP's Corner
Page 1 of 1