· The Forums
· The Final Cut
WEEK RECAP 7/31/08
ROCKPAGE Forum Index » JP's Corner
previous topic :: next topic  
Jim Price

Post Posted: Wednesday Aug 13, 2008 

WEEK RECAP 7/31/08

(Yes, just a “week recap,” as I departed for vacation on Friday…the “Vacation Recap” will be up later…)

SHARK BITE @ PELLEGRINE’S, ALTOONA 7/28/08

It was another edition of Pelly’s wings and Shark Bite to cap a Monday night.

As I arrived at Pellegrine’s, Shark Bite was joined by a special guest, Big Jim’s BluesMoon bandmate, Trace Baker, who belted out lead voice on renditions of Heart’s “Crazy on You” and Led Zeppelin’s “Rock and Roll,” before playing Jim’s acoustic guitar and singing Janis Joplin’s “Me and Bobby McGee” to end the set.

That didn’t close the book on special guests for the evening, though. During the last set, Phil Wagner joined Adam D to play guitar on versions of Radiohead’s “Creep” and the Doors’ “Roadhouse Blues.” The rest of the set featured other interesting highlights, including Adam pulling out an obscure Steely Dan number, his lounge renditions of Michael Jackson’s “Billie Jean” and Madonna’s “Like a Virgin,” requests for Emerson Lake & Palmer’s “Lucky Man” and the Police’s “Don’t Stand So Close to Me,” Queen’s “Bohemian Rhapsody” and more.

The wings were meaty, tender and heavy on the sauce (the way I like ‘em), and Shark Bite provided the jovial soundtrack to make it a fun wing-eating experience.

Big Jim plays Adam’s keys while guest Trace Baker sings and plays guitar.

Big Jim of Shark Bite.

Adam D of Shark Bite.

There’s a happy guy! With great wings and Shark Bite playing the tunes, why wouldn’t I be?

SQUARE ONE @ LAKEMONT PARK WING-OFF, ALTOONA 7/31/08

The fourth installment of this year’s Lakemont Park Wing-Off’s featured Square One providing the music. Usually, this band is always cursed with rainy weather during the Wing-Off. But for the most part, they avoided the rain curse this year. Just one narrow band of sprinkles passed over during their three-set performance (and I later learned that other nearby areas received downpours).

I arrived towards the end of Square One’s first set, as singer/guitarist Don Osborn, bassist/singer Bill Smith and drummer Jeff Crownover finished with renditions of the Beatles’ “I Saw Her Standing There” and Edgar Winter Group’s “Free Ride.”

I procured my first wings of the evening from Pellegrine’s pavilion, and sampled two flavors I usually don’t experience during Monday wing night – 5 mango habanero wings, and 5 “foose” wings (hot sauce with sesame seeds). Both were tasty!

During the intermission, Don’s son, Sean Osborn – half of acoustic duo Born & the Beanstalk – stepped up to perform a few songs. Born without the Beanstalk did good-sounding renditions of Led Zeppelin’s “Thank You,” Neil Young’s “The Needle and the Damage Done,” and a Dave Matthews number.

Sean remained onstage as Square One returned to begin their next set. Sean contributed voice and played acoustic guitar on the group’s renditions of Crosby Stills Nash & Young’s “Cost of Freedom” into “Ohio,” the Doobie Brothers’ “Long Train Runnin’” and the Eagles’ “Hotel California.” From there, Square One continued to entertain the wing-eating masses with classics from Lynyrd Skynyrd, Bad Company, the Allman Brothers, ZZ Top and more.

I soon headed back to the wing pavilions for my second round of chicken. TRhis time, I hit up the Belmar Hotel pavilion for five Cajun wings and 5 Italian parmesan…also tasty!

The second intermission saw Sean Osborn return to the stage, this time with a guest singer. Among the songs they did were Pearl Jam’s “Hearts and Thoughts,” the Beatles’ “Norwegian Wood,” and to close out their mini-set, Pink Floyd’s “Wish You Were Here,” which Sean sent out in memory of his mother (and Don’s wife), Debbie Osborn, who passed away last winter. Debbie could always be seen enjoying the Wing-Off’s every year, and her presence this year is indeed missed!

Square One soon returned to cap the evening, this time rocking with tunes from Rare Earth, Wild Cherry, the Smithereens, Robert Palmer, the Doors, the CCR combo of “Green River” and “Born on the Bayou,” and to close out the show, the Bill-fronted rendition of Free’s “All Right Now.”

Square One did a solid job overall, sounding both instrumentally and vocally on target. And they held their audience for the duration of the Wing-Off, even prompting some limited dance action along the way.

Four Wing-Off’s down, and just two remaining (and for me, just one)…This summer is moving along fast!

Son and father…Sean Osborn performs alongside Don Osborn of Square One.

Bill Smith of Square One.

Again, Sean Osborn.

Making their annual Wing-Off appearance, Square One.

Again with Sean Osborn sitting in, Square One.

Square One rocks the Wing-Off into the night.

JP’s HAIKU

Lakemont Park Wing-Off
Square One with guest Sean Osborn
Rock and roll, wings, fun!

http://pamusician.net
 Back to top »
Jim Price

Post Posted: Sunday Dec 20, 2009 

http://pamusician.net
 Back to top »
ROCKPAGE Forum Index » JP's Corner
Page 1 of 1