· The Final Cut
WEEK/WEEKEND RECAP 8/25/08 PT. 2
ROCKPAGE Forum Index » JP's Corner
previous topic :: next topic  
Jim Price

Post Posted: Thursday Sep 18, 2008 

WEEK/WEEKEND RECAP 8/25/08 PT. 2

18TH ANNUAL END OF SUMMER JAM @ KOOK’S KORNER, CHEST SPRINGS 8/24/08

After a short night’s sleep and breakfast at the ‘Pennsylvania Musician Bed & Breakfast’ (thanks Robin!), I was quickly on the road and headed homeward to shoot up the mountain to Kook’s Korner to emcee the 18th annual End Of Summer Jam benefit, with proceeds going to Children’s Hospital of Pittsburgh.

As has already been documented previously on Rockpage, this year’s End Of Summer Jam was a bit of a challenge to pull off. To make a long story short, the event’s previous home, the Cresson Sportsmen’s Club, informed organizer Mickey Luckenbaugh on short notice that they didn’t want to host the concert this year. (The organization’s board of directors changed hands in the past couple of years, and the current regime was first lukewarm, and then cold to the idea of continuing the concert there, despite last year’s smoothly-run event.) Mickey then had to quickly secure a new location for the event (he was even considering obtaining a parade permit and holding it in his own backyard in Sankertown); fortunately Kook’s Korner in Chest Springs was available. Mickey then had to book sound, rent porta-jonnies, establish a stage and prepare the grounds for the concert all within the space of about three weeks and two weekends, all while commuting to State College daily and logging 50-plus hour work weeks. And by the time I was able to firm up all the bands and set the schedule for this year’s concert, we had barely over a week to promote it. As I drove back, I was apprehensive, hoping that things would go smoothly at this new location, the weather would cooperate, and that people would show up and support the concert at its new home.

I arrived later than I had hoped, around 12:30 – a half-hour after the concert was scheduled to begin. But I arrived to discover that things were still getting set up, and that there had been some complications establishing power at the site to run the stage. But Mickey, the property owner and soundman Brad Hawken soon figured everything out, and were able to get the stage up and running. Unfortunately, it came at the cost of the first scheduled band of the afternoon, The Red Arrow, whose schedule limitations required them to get their performance in before 1:30. Fortunately, they were good sports about the situation, and singer Deb and drummer Mike stuck around for most of the rest of the show to support and cheer on the other bands.

With everything set to go by 1:30, Moxie instead kicked off the show. I was pretty impressed with this group when I saw them at the Biker Billy Bash on Memorial Day weekend, and was looking forward to hearing how they were coming along. Singer Ryan Dibert, guitarist Spencer Peterman, new bassist TJ and J.D. Heverly on drums played a strong set mixing current and 90’s hard rock. Kicking off with Weezer’s “Hashpipe,” Moxie rocked out on tunes by Lit, Silvertide, Blur, Bush, Alice In Chains, Wheatus, Collective Soul, Seether, Live and Velvet Revolver. For TJ only being with the group a short while, Moxie did a solid job overall, as they were on target on their instruments, and Ryan carried things well on the vocal end. Although not too many people were in attendance at this point, those who were there seemed to dig what Moxie was doing.

Kicking off End Of Summer Jam, Moxie.

Ryan Dibert of Moxie.

Moxie, making their End Of Summer Jam debut.

Moxie’s new bass player, TJ.

Spencer Peterman of Moxie.

J.D. Heverly of Moxie.

Although a momentary power glitch silenced things for a few seconds during Moxie’s set, things ran fairly smoothly the rest of the way once the concert began. After a short intermission to change over gear, the afternoon’s next band, Sunset Strip, was ready to go.

Sunset Strip had a different look since I first saw them a couple of months ago. Now joining singer Scott Mulligan, bassman Frank Rodes and drummer Jared Michaels are “the kilted one,” Jimi Hatt, and Mel Deneen on guitars. The Strip kicked off their set with Motley Crue’s “Wild Side,” commencing a celebration of the hair-band 80’s. The group fired things up with Guns N’Roses’ “Nighttrain,” the Poison double-shot of “Fallen Angel” and “Talk Dirty to Me,” Jackyl’s “Down On Me,” The Cult’s “Fire Woman,” Bon Jovi’s “Raise Your Hands,” Motley Crue’s “Looks That Kill,” Quiet Riot’s “Metal Health (Bang Your Head)” and more. Scott’s voice was in good form, and unlike the previous time I had seen this band at Magoo’s, the improved sound mix here enabled Scott’s voice to come through clearly and strongly. Instrumentally these guys were clicking on all cylinders, and built momentum as the set progressed. Overall, this was a strong and confident set that went over well with the slowly growing audience.

Bringing the 80’s rock to End Of Summer Jam, Sunset Strip.

Scott Mulligan and Frank Rodes of Sunset Strip.

Jimi Hatt of Sunset Strip.

Again, Sunset Strip.

Again, Scott and Frank of Sunset Strip.

The kilt has returned! Jimi Hatt of Sunset Strip.

Scott Mulligan takes the Sunset Strip party out to the audience.

Jared Michaels of Sunset Strip.

Mel Deneen of Sunset Strip.

Once again, Sunset Strip.

Again, Jared Michaels of Sunset Strip.

I was happy to see at least a few folks showing up. I sensed that with a new location that a lot of folks weren’t familiar with, that attendance might be a bit low this year. But at least a few fans were finding the new Kook’s Korner location, and giving the bands some faces to play their music to.

Appearing next on the trailer stage was Driving Sideways, returning to End Of Summer Jam after a few years away. The reunited edition of the group features Paul Miller and Tracy Felton on guitars, Ed Somerville on lead voice, Troy Laney on bass and Jim Griffiths on drums. Driving Sideways played an interesting variety of hard-rocking fare, mixing classic and current rock numbers and some interesting twists along the way. After starting off with Nickelback’s “Never Again,” the group broke out Led Zeppelin’s “Kashmir,” Black Sabbath’s “N.I.B.” and Dream Theater’s “The Big Medley” – all tunes that the group minus Jim had carried over from the short-lived Red Eye. Driving Sideways then pulled out Paul McCartney’s “Maybe I’m Amazed,” followed by Ozzy Osbourne’s “Gets Me Through” and Coney Hatch’s “Monkey Bars.” After Green Day’s “Brain Stew,” the group closed out the set with Alice In Chains’ “Man in the Box.” Driving Sideways did a very good job; “Kashmir” and the Dream Theater medley wre very impressive, and made a number of observers sit up and take notice. Their instrumental execution was tight, and Ed’s voice handled the variety of material well. It capped a welcome return to action – and to End Of Summer Jam – for Driving Sideways; good job!

Making their return to End Of Summer Jam, Driving Sideways.

Paul Miller of Driving Sideways.

Again, Driving Sideways.

Once again, Driving Sideways.

Ed Somerville of Driving Sideways.

Again, Paul Miller of Driving Sideways.

Tracy Felton of Driving Sideways.

Once again, Paul Miller of Driving Sideways.

One more time, Driving Sideways.

This shirt said it all…

As the afternoon progressed, I was appreciating this new setting for End Of Summer Jam. Kook’s Korner is a nice location, with the hillside making for a sort of natural amphitheater; plus a few shade trees around and ample room for parking. It's also off the beaten path and far enough away from neighbors that complaints about noise weren’t an issue.

Prior to Felix & the Hurricanes’ set, the audience was treated to some interesting sounds courtesy of Heavy Radio. Armed with his guitar and some effects pedals and gear, Harlo Taddy performed four original numbers, with an eclectic style ranging between alternative, space rock and folk. His last number, “Close Your Eyes,” was an a cappella number during which Harlo looped his voice and harmonized with himself. It was definitely different, and offered something unique to the afternoon.

Harlo Taddy of Heavy Radio.

The only band to play at all 18 End Of Summer Jam benefits, The Hurricanes triggered some ‘dance-lawn’ action during the course of their set, as they mixed original songs with southern, classic rock and blues favorites. Lead ‘Cane, singer and guitarist Felix Kos, bassist/singer Jeff Clapper and drummer Bob Watters did original song favorites like “Cut That Line,” “Keep On Rockin’” and “Walking a Straight Line;” and introduced a few new original tunes as well. And the group smoked on renditions of the Allman’s “Statesboro Blues” and “Whipping Post,” and Eric Clapton’s “I’ve Got a Rock and Roll Heart.” Towards set’s end, the group invited show organizer Mickey Luckenbaugh up to the stage to take over behind the drum kit, and relieve some show-related stress by banging out the beats behind Stevie Ray Vaughan’s “Pride and Joy” and Jimi Hendrix’s “Red House.” Consistent with their other End Of Summer Jam performances, The Hurricanes again drew some fans up in front of the stage to dance, and inspired other fans to cheer with their tight and inspired musicianship.

Two ladies dance to Felix & the Hurricanes.

Lead ‘Cane Felix Kos.

Felix & the Hurricanes, making another End Of Summer Jam appearance.

Again, the Hurricanes.

A “Hurricaniac” cuts loose.

Again, Hurricane Felix.

Jeff Clapper of the Hurricanes.

Bob Watters of the Hurricanes.

More dancing to the Hurricanes.

Sitting in behind the drum kit, show organizer Mickey Luckenbaugh.

As the sun set on Kook’s Korner, Radiofuel took the stage. This was the first time I had seen Jim Veasey in action in several years; but this time, he has moved out from behind the drum kit, and now plays guitar and sings. His son, Matt DeStefano, now plays drums; while Todd Belardi plays lead guitar, and another name I haven’t seen in action in a long time, Justin Lefevre, plays bass. After some initial technical issues with Todd’s guitar were worked out, Radiofuel played a solid set that blended rocking current and 90’s numbers. Opening with Fuel’s “Bittersweet,” Radiofuel performed tunes from Seven Mary Three, Three Doors Down, Candlebox, Puddle Of Mudd, Caroline Spine, Shinedown, Velvet Revolver and more. Along the way, the group broke out a few tunes I hadn’t heard in a long time, such as Seven Mary Three’s “Water’s Edge” and Candlebox’s “Cover Me.” Jim successfully has made the transition from drums to guitar, and displayed a steady voice up front. The rest of the group was fairly tight and on target, and their set picked up momentum as it progressed. It was another good display; hopefully we’ll be hearing more from these guys on area stages soon.

Radiofuel continues the musical action at End Of Summer Jam.

Jim Veasey of Radiofuel.

Again, Radiofuel.

Justin Lefevre of Radiofuel.

Once again, Radiofuel.

Todd Belardi of Radiofuel.

Again, although attendance wasn’t strong at End Of Summer Jam, a number of the folks who did show up were sticking around for the duration, and braved the cooling mountain air as Nitekast next took the stage. I was interested to witness this band’s progress as new singer Lily Taylor continued to settle into the lineup, alongside singer/guitarist Brandon Scalese, new bassist Bobby Boring and former-bassist-turned-drummer Josh Oaks. Lily took the spotlight early on as she fronted the group on the opening rendition of the Cranberries’ “Zombie,” followed by a new original tune and her Bon Scott growl on AC/DC’s “Dirty Deeds Done Dirt Cheap.” Brandon then took over lead mic duties on The Cure’s “Love Song” and Green Day’s “She.” Lily then came back with one of her strongest displays, on Alannah Myles’ “Black Velvet,” followed by Alanis Morisette’s “You Oughta Know” and ZZ Top’s “Sharp Dressed Man.” Back to Brandon for one of the group’s new original tunes, “This One’s For You,” followed by Modern English’s “I Melt With You.” Lily again went Bon Scott on “It’s a Long Way to the Top (If You Want to Rock and Roll),” followed by Loverboy’s “Working for the Weekend.” Brandon sang lead on Cream’s “Sunshine of Your Love,” before Lily’s pipes closed out the set on Foreigner’s “Juke Box Hero.” This new edition of Nitekast appeared to be settling in well, with each member looking and sounding more comfortable in their respective roles. The chord arrangement on “Sunshine of Your Love” sounded a little awkward; but other than that, this was a good display, and this young band will continue to be one to keep an eye on.

Under cover of night, Nitekast performs at End Of Summer Jam.

Lily Taylor of Nitekast.

Josh Oaks of Nitekast.

Again, Lily Taylor of Nitekast.

Brandon Scalese of Nitekast.

She turned demonic! Lily Taylor of Nitekast.

Bobby Boring of Nitekast.

No End Of Summer Jam is complete without the bonfire!

The bonfire gets bigger.

One band remained; End Of Summer Jam vets Half Tempted. This night the basic trio of singer/guitarist Ron Dalansky, bassist Joe George and drummer Clint Carothers; Half Tempted sent the show out in a blaze of rocking glory, firing off hard-rocking classics from Black Sabbath, AC/DC, Drivin’n’Cryin,’ Judas Priest, Kiss, John Mellencamp, Aerosmith, Steve Miller Band, Free, Cheap Trick, Brownsville Station, Metallica and more. Early on, the group did include one more recent number, Buckcherry’s ever-popular “Crazy Bitch.” Ron, Joe and Clint kept it fiery and lively, and kept the remaining fans cheering and attentive, enough so that they didn’t want the show to end when AC/DC’s “You Shook Me All Night Long” closed the night. As expected, Half Tempted provided the strong finishing touch to the day.

Ron Dalansky of Half Tempted.

Clint Carothers of Half Tempted.

Joe George of Half Tempted.

Two ladies dance and have fun in front of Ronny D and Half Tempted.

Half Tempted’s party continues.

Again, Ronny D of Half Tempted.

Again, Joe George of Half Tempted.

One more time, Ron Dalansky of Half Tempted.

End Of Summer Jam survived in this year of transition, and while the proceeds for Children’s Hospital of Pittsburgh were not huge, the show overall was a fun event for those who attended. The bands all represented well, and all likely gained at least a few new fans this day. This new location seemed to go over well with most of the folks in attendance; and if End Of Summer Jam returns here in the future, this year’s experience will hopefully contribute to smoother shows here in years to come.

Again, big thanks to Brad Hawken for putting in the long day behind the sound board. Once everything got under way, Brad gave everybody a good mix, and was able to help get everyone set up and ready to play in a reasonable time frame. And he was flexible when the show fell a little behind schedule, allowing each band to be able to play most of their full sets. Thanks to all the bands who performed. And hats off again to Mickey Luckenbaugh for keeping this tradition alive for another year. This year was clearly a drain on Mickey; hopefully the kudos from the musicians and fans in attendance will encourage him to keep this going for number 19 next year. And of course, thanks to the folks who came out and supported this year's concert, making the effort to follow End Of Summer Jam to its new location.

FLIGHT 19 @ PELLEGRINE’S, ALTOONA 8/24/08

Not tired after a whole day of live bands at End Of Summer Jam, I headed down the hill to Pellegrine’s to catch the remainder of Flight 19’s weekend-closing party.

The ‘Party Plane’ was airborne and taking its passengers on a rocking ride as I arrived in time for the third set. The group delivered their freewheeling brand of original tunes and favorites, keeping a contingent of fans in front of the stage dancing and cheering. The flight crew of singer Brian Thomas, guitarists Scott Imler and John McKelvey, bassist Tim Kelly, keyboard man Phil Steele and drummer Darin Hand rocked the house with tunes from Bon Jovi, Honeymoon Suite, AC/DC, Nickelback, Buckcherry and more. Along the way, they did their 70’s/80’s funk medley, and also broke out two of their own numbers, “Hands” and the night-ending “Crank It Up.”

It was rowdy and fun. Brian served as the main frontman and ringleader, trading playful barbs with his bandmates and keeping the onstage mood jovial. The stagefront fans fed off the happy vibe and partied down. Again, a reliably good journey aboard Flight 19’s ‘Party Plane.’

Scott Imler of Flight 19.

Brian Thomas of Flight 19.

Tim Kelly of Flight 19.

Flight 19 parties down Pellegrine’s.

Again, Scott Imler of Flight 19.

Darin Hand of Flight 19.

Phil Steele of Flight 19. Cool shirt, Phil!

Cruising at high altitude, the Flight 19 ‘Party Plane.’

Again, Flight 19.

John McKelvey of Flight 19.

Again, Brian Thomas of Flight 19.

Again, Tim Kelly of Flight 19.

Again, Phil Steele of Flight 19.

Again, Darin Hand of Flight 19.

More Flight 19.

Yet again, Brian Thomas of Flight 19.

John and Brian of Flight 19.

Going full vent, Brian Thomas of Flight 19.

JP’s HAIKU

End Of Summer Jam
New location, Kook’s Korner
Thanks to all who came!

http://pamusician.net
 Back to top »
Jim Price

Post Posted: Sunday Dec 20, 2009 

http://pamusician.net
 Back to top »
ROCKPAGE Forum Index » JP's Corner
Page 1 of 1