· The Final Cut
WEEK/WEEKEND RECAP 9/15/08 PT. 2
ROCKPAGE Forum Index » JP's Corner
previous topic :: next topic  
Jim Price

Post Posted: Thursday Dec 11, 2008 

WEEK/WEEKEND RECAP 9/15/08 PT. 2

THE YORK FAIR, YORK 9/12/08

I had decided to burn a vacation day this Friday, and mapped out an ambitious mini-“tour” to check out several bands and events over the next two days at several locations further east. The first of these would be, for the second year in a row, my visit to the annual York Fair. Last year when I attended, it was to see Sterling Koch and one of the final performances of his band at that time, the Victory In Heaven Band. This year, I was returning to see Sterling with his current blues band project, 61 South.

But unlike last year’s journey, this year’s trek to York would be made in a steady, drenching rain deluge. The rain did not thwart me as I proceeded southward to Route 30 and did the journey over mountains and through the succession of small towns leading to York. The trip took about 3½ hours, and I arrived at the York Fairgrounds just shy of 5:30 PM. The rainy weather did provide a side benefit, though – it had significantly stunted attendance at the York Fair this day, and I encountered no gridlock waiting in traffic to get into the parking area. (Last year, I had to wait some 25 minutes in traffic to get in.)

Now more familiar with the layout of the York Fairgrounds, I was able to make my way to the performance tent and arrive well in advance of 61 South’s first of three sets. As I arrived, another group, The Keystoners, was performing a selection of country gospel sounds. I got to hear them do the songs “Put It Into God’s Hands,” “Too Far Too Fast” and “Healing Waters.”

The Keystoners.

Already set up on the opposite side of the front of the tent, 61 South immediately started their first set after the Keystoners finished. 61 South teams the father and daughter tandem of steel guitarist/singer Sterling Koch and bassist Kate Koch with drummer John Goba. 61 South played hard-nosed blues, gospel blues and blues rock, mixing original songs and remakes along the way. Included in their first set was a rendition of Rev. Gary Davis’ “Twelve Gates to the City,” which segued directly into ZZ Top’s “Jesus Just Left Chicago,” and a set-ending rendition of the Pat Travers-popularized “Boom Boom Out Go The Lights.” 61 South was sounding very good so far, with Sterling offering some exciting and fiery steel guitar solo work along the way, and Kate and John backing him with tight, crisp rhythms.

Here is some video footage of 61 South’s performance at the York Fair:

http://www.rockpage.net/users/jprice/video/MOV00784.MPG

Sterling Koch of 61 South.

Kate Koch of 61 South.

John Goba of 61 South.

61 South, bringing blues to the York Fair.

Just a few feet away from the stage, these youngsters were having fun with a slide while 61 South played.

After 61 South’s first 30-minute set, I stuck around to watch the next performers, Somerset-based inspirational duo Last Generation (somebody had traveled further than me through the rain to be here!). A husband and wife duo, Mike and Karen Matieszyn displayed nice harmonies as they sang their hopeful compositions. A special guest, Brant Kerstetter, offered a bassy backing voice during the duo’s set-closing rendition of Charlie Daniels’ “Somebody Was Prayin’ for Me.”

Karen and Mike Matieszyn of Last Generation.

Guest Brant Kerstetter joins Last Generation.

Following Last Generation’s set, I exited the tent to grab a bite to eat and take a look around the fairgrounds. The rain indeed had hurt attendance at the York Fair this night; the fairgrounds were like a ghost town with only a few brave folks enduring the raindrops (which actually had tapered off since my arrival) this night. I enjoyed an EXCELLENT bowl of Manhattan clam chowder from one stand (it had a bit of a peppery bite to it), and grabbed a hot sausage sandwich from another vendor. Since I hadn’t eaten anything else since breakfast, I knew I would probably indulge in more fair edibles before my time here was done.

After a half hour of exploring the fairground environs, I returned to the tent just in time for 61 South’s second set of the night. This set commenced with a version of Blind Willie Johnson’s “Let Your Light Shine On Me,” and also included fiery blues-rock treatments of Robert Johnson’s “Crossroads,” Willie Dixon’s “You Can Judge a Book By Looking at Its Cover,” Rev. Gary Davis’ “You Got to Move” (featured on 61 South’s self-titled CD) and more. Again 61 South sounded sharp and powerful; of the three groups rotating performances under the tent this night, clearly 61 South was the rowdiest!

Again, John Goba of 61 South.

Again, Sterling Koch of 61 South.

Sterling Koch, working his steel guitar.

At this point, I again left the tent to take in more of the York Fair. I arrived at another performance stage, where a group called Vocal Trash was giving their unique performance. Five members strong, this Texas-based group made music with some off-the-wall household instruments, including trashcans, empty bottled water jugs and more. There was also a more conventional guitar, drums, and a deejay/midi setup. These folks gave a charged, high-flying set as they played hits from the Strangeloves, Toni Basil, Romantics, Knack, and a rendition of the Four Seasons’ “December 1963” to end their performance. Vocal Trash was entertaining and sounded good at what they did, and the small, rain-soaked audience seemed to appreciate the performance.

Vocal Trash.

A member of Vocal Trash, playing empty water jugs.

Pots and pans percussion with Vocal Trash.

Metal barrel drums!

Vocal Trash’s lead singer.

One more time, two members of Vocal Trash.

After Vocal Trash’s performance ended, I continued to walk through the York Fairgrounds. Although it was just past 9 PM, the combination of wet conditions and lack of crowd was causing a number of the food and game vendors to hang it up for the day early, and I noticed a lot of booths and stands going dark. I happened upon the York Jaycees’ stand, selling stuffed baked potatoes. Since they were ready to close up shop for the night, they gave me a special price to take 3 of their stuffed potatoes from them. Little did I realize how big these spuds were; I could only get through two of them!

Stuffed, I returned to the performance tent in time to see 61 South’s nightcap performance. Again the group made it count, delivering stirring renditions of Wilbert Harrison’s “Let’s Work Together,” their original “Kiss the Blues Goodbye,” J.J. Cale/Lynyrd Skynyrd’s “Call Me The Breeze” and more. A big highlight of this set was Sterling’s dazzling steel guitar display during “Further On Up the Road!” As said before, of the three performing entities under the tent, 61 South clearly represented the more robust side of the spectrum, and their brand of joyous noise rocked the tent!

Again, 61 South.

Once again, John Goba of 61 South.

Again, Kate Koch of 61 South.

One more time, John Goba of 61 South.

At this point, pretty much the entire York Fair had closed down for the day (at 10 PM; during nicer weather this Fair was still cranking after 11 PM last year!). I made my way out of the grounds and through the muddy parking area to my car. I then discovered that not only had the fair closed for the day, but most of the gates to the outside world had been closed as well! I had to drive around for almost 15 minutes before I found a security officer who told me the only open gate was on a side entrance away from the main entrance gate. Finally finding my way out of this maze, I headed towards downtown York to check out live music at one of the town’s nightspots.

HEAD CASE @ FAT DADDY’S, YORK 9/12/08

Although it took me a little while to get my bearings and find it, I eventually arrived at Fat Daddy’s in York to catch my first look at local heavy rockers Head Case. I learned that I missed an opening act, Stone Blue, as well as my Pennsylvania Musican cohort RachelRocks, who had left the venue just minutes earlier.

But I did arrive in time to procure a seat and watch Head Case fire up the crowd. From the start, these guys brought the firepower, with two sets blending aggressive original modern rock with hard-hitting favorites from the 80’s to present. After an opening song I didn’t recognize (possibly an original), Head Case unleashed some old-school Skid Row with “Piece of Me,” followed by Velvet Revolver’s “Slither” and Pat Travers’ “Snortin’ Whiskey.” The group continued with Theory of a Deadman’s “Bad Girlfriend,” followed by another song and a powerful version of Tool’s “Sober.” Head Case then did one of their own, performing the leadoff from their self-titled CD, “Become.” Then it was more old-school metal, as the group broke out Judas Priest’s “Hellion/Electric Eye,” followed by a Godsmack number, Marilyn Manson’s “The Beautiful People,” Drowning Pool’s “Bodies,” Static X’s “Push It,” and a Disturbed number to end the set.

I was liking Head Case’s assault thus far. Singer Dave Zienkiewicz is a commanding presence, and a fiery howler who constantly takes his game to the crowd, backed by the powerful corps of guitarists Joe Nelson and John Golzari, bassist Earl Ruppert and drummer Ryan Bencak. These guys sounded tight and powerful, and had the large Fat Daddy’s crowd cheering from the get-go.

Head Case continued to pound the York audience into submission in their nightcap set, including more original songs such as “Reality Check” and F.T.F,” as well as Buckcherry’s “Crazy Bitch,” Rage Against the Machine’s “Sleep Down with the Fire,” Limp Bizkit’s “Breakstuff,” Seether’s “Fake It” and more. The party continued to heat up as this set progressed, and as the group started into Pink Floyd’s “Another Brick in the Wall” late in the set, ladies began to party down alongside band members on stage! Head Case slammed the door on the night with a fierce rendition of Pantera’s “Walk.”

As said before, I was impressed with the firepower Head Case brought to the live stage. This band delivered the goods, and gave a tough, powerful performance that took no prisoners. If you like tough, hard-hitting modern rock, definitely watch out for this group!

Dave Zienkiewicz of Head Case.

Head Case, rocking Fat Daddy’s.

John Golzari and Earl Ruppert of Head Case.

Again, Head Case.

Joe Nelson and John Golzari of Head Case.

Again, Joe and John of Head Case.

Again, Dave Zienkiewicz of Head Case.

Earl Ruppert of Head Case.

Ryan Bencak of Head Case.

Once again, Dave Zienkiewicz.

Again, Earl Ruppert.

Yet again, Dave of Head Case.

Again, John Golzari of Head Case.

Again, Ryan Bencak of Head Case.

More of Head Case, rocking Fat Daddy’s.

Head Case, getting the crowd rowdy.

Joe Nelson of Head Case.

With ladies joining them on stage, Head Case’s party gets wilder.

More ladies and Head Case.

More craziness with Head Case.

Dave Zienkiewicz of Head Case enjoys a refreshing massage.

More rowdiness with Dave of Head Case and the ladies.

One more time, Head Case and ladies.

MUTUAL OF OMAHA’S “WILD KINGDOM” @ PENNSYLVANIA MUSICIAN BED & BREAKFAST near LIVERPOOL 9/13/08

After departing Fat Daddy’s on Friday night, I roadtripped an hour northward to my overnight accommodations for this night, at Pennsylvania Musician Magazine headquarters, publisher Whitey and editor Robin Noll’s farmhouse residence near Liverpool, about two miles west of the Susquehanna River. What I affectionately refer to as ‘The Pennsylvania Musician Bed & Breakfast’ is a farmhouse in rural Perry County, and the house is surrounded by farmland. I was reminded of this when I was awakened the next morning by the sound of a cow mooing in the pasture up the hill from my window!

Anyway, after awakening, I showered and went downstairs, and enjoyed Robin’s breakfast cuisine of bacon, eggs, home fries and toast. (Whitey says he likes when I stay overnight, because he actually gets served breakfast the next morning!) We were just finishing up breakfast when Whitey looked out the kitchen window and said, “Hey Jim, come over and take a look at this!” I went over to the window, and he pointed and said, “See that black thing that looks like a bike tire innertube?” I looked and saw it, and the ‘innertube’ was moving. Obviously, it wasn’t an innertube, but a snake…and a large one! I quickly ran upstairs to grab my camera, and all three of us headed outside for a closer look.

The snake was a black rat snake, and it was slowly slithering through the lawn towards a line of brush and trees bordering the lawn. Outstretched, this snake looked to be just over six feet in length! Whitey and I walked up slowly behind the snake, and the reptile slowed, raising its head a few inches off the ground to look around. Whitey took his walking stick and gently tapped the tip of the snake’s tail, prompting the snake to quickly coil into defensive posture, its head raised and its black tongue quickly flicking in and out of its mouth. Obviously we had its attention! I took several pictures of the snake, which remained coiled in anticipation of any possible further moves by either of us. I sat down at a picnic bench about 10 feet from the reptile and continued to take pictures, while Robin and Whitey both sat down on a nearby swing about 15 feet from the snake. As I took pictures, Whitey and Robin explained that several snakes lived in the vicinity of their farmhouse, including black rat snakes, black racers, and a corn snake. Whitey said he has even seen a king snake and a hognose snake in the 20 years they’ve lived here (fortunately, no poisonous ones). They have seen this particular snake before, as it frequently makes the rounds in search of rodents and the occasional bird; it has even hibernated in their attic and basement! (This is not uncommon for old farmhouses such as this one, the snakes find cracks in the stone foundations and make their winter homes there.)

The black rat snake, as it made its approach towards brush and trees. Stretched out, this beast was over six feet in length!

Coiled in defensive position after Whitey tapped its tail, the black rat snake.

Getting face to face with a black rat snake!

The snake flickers its tongue.

Coiled up and ready for action, the black rat snake.

Another view of the snake.

Convinced that we no longer posed a threat, the snake began to uncoil and resume its journey.

After a few minutes, the snake started to relax, realizing that we were not an imminent threat to it. The snake started to uncoil and resume its slow journey across the lawn.

Then the cat showed up.

Also residing in the vicinity of ‘The Pennsylvania Musician Bed & Breakfast’ are several semi-wild farm cats. These cats stroll and wander around the yard and will walk up close to you, but refuse to be petted, retreating several feet if you advance towards them. One of these, a small black cat not much larger than a kitten, walked over and sat down about three feet in front of the snake’s path and began cleaning itself. The snake slowly advanced, with the cat seemingly oblivious to its presence. Robin started to worry about the ensuing confrontation, but Whitey told her to stay calm; he wanted to observe nature in action.

To borrow a line from Jethro Tull’s “Bungle in the Jungle”…“And he who made kittens put snakes in the grass.”

The snake, likely thinking to itself, “What the heck do I have to do to get to those darn woods?”

With the snake about two feet from the cat, the cat suddenly took notice of the reptile, and started curiously approaching for a closer look. The snake apprehensively raised its head a couple of inches off the ground and closely monitored this newcomer. The tension grew, as the cat inched ever closer to the snake, and the snake moved its head to match the cat’s moves. The cat was a foot away, and inched still closer. A half foot away…The cat stretched its nose towards the snake for a sniff…

The cat moves in for a closer look.

And a closer look...

Then suddenly, in a flash of motion, the snake huffed and wildly coiled back into defensive position, its black tongue again flickering. The startled cat lept about a foot off the ground and landed about two feet back from the snake. The two creatures glared at each other, with the cat slowly stalking a one-foot perimeter around the coiled snake. The snake was again tense and waiting the cat’s next move.

A classic standoff…Black cat vs. black snake!

The cat continues to study this new foe.

The snake maintains its defensive posture.

What a classic showdown!

The cat continues to size up the snake, shortly before retreating to the porch.

Fortunately, that move never came, as after a couple of minutes, the cat decided it didn’t want any piece of the snake, and slowly retreated back towards the rear step of the house. After a few more minutes, the snake relaxed and again started stretching out to continue its journey towards the brush. This time the reptile proceeded uninterrupted, although I got up and followed it from about 15 feet away as it gathered speed and started slithering in an ‘S’ pattern. Shortly before entering the brush, the snake stopped and lifted its head about a foot and a half off the ground, apparently studying its destination and where it would go next, before dropping its head and slithering off into the brush.

It was an impromptu episode of Mutual of Omaha’s Wild Kingdom, right in Whitey and Robin’s back yard! I hadn’t seen a snake that large in the wild since my early years growing up in Sinking Valley! This was an interesting and unexpected thrill that provided an early highlight on my Saturday morning, as well as another highlight in what was turning into a great weekend for me!

“SMILES FOR SOLDIERS” @ ARD’S FARM MARKET, LEWISBURG 9/13/08

After the wildlife adventure had concluded at the Pennsylvania Musician Bed & Breakfast, I headed north on Routes 11 and 15 to Ard's Farm Market near Lewisburg to check out "Smiles for Soldiers," an event to raise proceeds and supplies for local Pennsylvania Army National Guard troops serving in Iraq and Afghanistan. Several bands and performers were slated to take the stage this day, including a band whose CD had piqued my interest in seeing them live, Kinsey.

Kinsey was just getting started as I arrived. Singers/guitarists John Springer and Josh Krebs, bassist Mike Krebs and drummer J.B. Swope mixed melody-based, alternative-rooted original songs with varied covers. All four of these guys shared singing duties, and I particularly liked Kinsey’s vocal arrangements, especially the layered harmonies on the lead-off song “After All;” and their crisp, tight presentation overall. Another highlight was their fast-paced, U2-flavored original number “Something Underneath; and they introduced a few new songs such as “Perfect Ten” and “Take Me Home.” Kinsey also displayed good vocals and harmonies on tunes from Tonic, Cars, Tom Petty, Georgia Satellites, Rolling Stones, Queens Of The Stone Age and more. This was a good, solid set, and hopefully I’ll have more opportunities to see Kinsey in action down the road.

Kinsey, kicking off their set during “Smiles for Soldiers.”

Again, Kinsey.

John Springer of Kinsey.

Josh Krebs of Kinsey.

Once again, Kinsey.

Mike Krebs of Kinsey.

J.B. Swope of Kinsey.

Yet again, Kinsey.

Again, John Springer of Kinsey.

Again, Josh Krebs of Kinsey.

Once again, John Springer of Kinsey.

One more time, Kinsey.

I browsed around the Ard’s grounds in between bands, and took in more of the other activities associated with Smiles for Soldiers. There were children’s activities, a pet fair, some yard sale/flea market tables, and a military truck on hand for the collection of food and supplies to be sent to the troops. Ard’s Market also had their own kitchen area that sold food, as well as an ice cream stand. And in back, not too far from the stage, was a penned goat area, complete with a tower and ramp for the goats to climb. At the top of the tower, a conveyer belt stretched to the ground level. Kids could purchase and put food on the conveyer and turn a crank to send the food up to the goats on top of the tower.

A good amount of items were being collected throughout the day for National Guard troops serving overseas.

A local veteran’s group conducted a motorcycle run, which arrived at Ard’s during the “Smiles for Soldiers” event. These were a few of the bikes that pulled in.

More of the bikes, along with the supply collection truck and a merchandise stand for the National Guard unit.

Some of the food tents and picnic table area at Ard’s Market.

The goat tower.

Some kids send food up to the occupants of the goat tower.

The National Guard stand and supply collection truck.

A youngster climbs aboard an old tractor embedded in the Ard’s grounds.

Next onstage was a young Selinsgrove-based group, The Last Aviators. Featuring singer Josh Carper, guitarists Jon Becker and Alex Dufford, bassist Mark Minori, drummer Cameron Wolfberg, and special guest singer/sax player Jordan Harris; The Last Aviators performed a freewheeling blend of sounds. Their set list included tunes from Dave Matthews Band, Sublime and Dispatch, John Mayer, Sister Hazel and more, as well as a fast and thrashy take on Jimi Hendrix’s “Fire.” The Last Aviators were good overall, especially given their young ages.

The Last Aviators.

Jordan Harris of The Last Aviators.

Jon Becker of The Last Aviators.

Alex Dufford and Mark Minori of The Last Aviators.

One more time, The Last Aviators.

And I stuck around for the following group, Selinsgrove-based Christian praise/rock group Saline. Comprised of lead singer and guitarist John Messner, guitarist Dan Maurer, bassist Matt Kahn and drummer John Kramer (a fifth member, lead guitarist Eugene Korn, was missing this day); Saline combined strong melodies, tight musicianship and hopeful messages in their song selection, as they did original numbers from their two full-length CD’s, Listen and Loss Of Me, as well as their new single “Carry Me.” Saline’s performance was upbeat, and they encouraged audience participation on a few numbers. The group ended their set with an a cappella rendition of “The Star Spangled Banner.”

Selinsgrove’s Saline.

John Messner of Saline.

Matt Kahn of Saline.

Dan Maurer of Saline.

Getting a kick out of their performance, Saline.

Once again, Saline.

Playing guitar and holding his daughter at the same time, Dan Maurer of Saline.

John Kramer of Saline.

It was late afternoon at this point, and I decided to depart for the return trip home, missing the last band on the bill, The Midlife Cowboys. (I also missed Daryl Willow, who had performed prior to my arrival.) Smiles for Soldiers was a fun time, and judging by the growing attendance throughout the afternoon, a successful event in raising money, food, supplies and support for the Pennsylvania National Guard troops. I was glad I decided to make the extra roadtrip side journey to Lewisburg to check it out.

SKELL @ ALDO’S, ALTOONA 9/13/08

After returning to the ‘Toona and resting up from my travels, I made my way over the railroad tracks to Aldo’s to check in with Pittsburgh heavy-hitters Skell.

A mid-sized crowd was on hand as Skell was throttling the house with their mix of metal originals and covers. Lead howler Pat “Bones” Bono was delivering his best Anselmo roar as Skell blasted Pantera’s “Walk” upon my arrival, and followed it with another Pantera classic, “F**king Hostile.” Bones, guitarist Mike Palone, bassist Mike Ekis and drummer Keith Kweder then entered the Tool realm to perform “The Pot.” Bones then introduced a new original tune, “Snow Plow,” which led into a stunning Keith drum solo display, as he displayed speed, power and finesse. Skell did another new original, “Fight,” before renditions of System of a Down’s “Sugar,” Buckcherry’s “Crazy Bitch,” and an excellent version of Prong’s “Snap Your Fingers, Snap Your Neck.” Skell’s modern metal fest continued with tunes from Static X, Slipknot and Sevendust, before versions of Coal Chamber’s “Loco” and Big Truck” sandwiched Korn’s “Blind.” Skell then closed out the set with another new original crusher, “Slo-Mo.” When the Aldo’s crowd demanded more, the group returned to do one more, Slayer’s “South of Heaven.”

Skell was reliably savage and heavy as hell. Bones was fierce on the microphone, and Mike Palone demonstrated his skill both at delivering bone-crushing, brutal guitar chords and searing solo work. Mike Ekis and Keith Kweder again proved to be a formidable rhythm tandem, both displaying speed and accuracy on their respective instruments, and blending for booming and furious rhythms.

Skell again reaffirmed that they are an elite force in western PA metal, and this show amped up hopes towards the group’s long-awaited sophomore studio CD, which Bones promised would be available whenever these guys next return.

Mike Ekis of Skell.

Skell, rocking down Juniata again.

Again, Skell.

Keith Kweder of Skell.

In mid-solo, Keith Kweder of Skell.

Again, Keith Kweder of Skell.

Skell and fans.

Pat “Bones” Bono of Skell.

Again, Bones of Skell.

Again, Skell and fans.

Once again, Keith Kweder of Skell.

Mike Palone of Skell.

More of Skell and the fans.

Again, Mike Ekis of Skell.

Again, Mike Palone of Skell.

One more time, Mike Palone of Skell.

SLACKER THEORY @ PELLEGRINE’S, ALTOONA 9/14/08

Pellegrine’s was again my Sunday night destination, with Slacker Theory helping close the lid on the weekend.

It was a normal mid-sized attendance as I got there during the second set, as the group was doing their acoustic-geared original song “Here’s to You.” Conversations in the back room near the door kept me from paying close attention during the remainder of this set, but I heard the Slackers doing Nickelback’s “Rockstar,” and closing the set with their hard-edged take on Michael Jackson’s “Beat It.”

I was able to take in more of Slacker Theory’s nightcap set. The group opened with Metallica’s “Sad But True,” and followed with Finger Eleven’s “Paralyzer,” Bon Jovi’s “Wanted Dead or Alive,” Tool’s “Sober,” Nickelback’s “Animal,” and their original tune “Shake,” before another song ended the night.

Slacker Theory sounded in good form. “Slacker Steve” Danfelt gave another strong showing on voice. And playing rhythm guitar; he, lead guitarist Dalton McDonald, bassist Ryan George and drum man Rob Bonsell were tight and powerful on the execution. Slacker Theory kept fans riveted at the front of the stage for the duration. Again, a good show.

Steve Danfelt and Dalton McDonald of Slacker Theory.

Rob Bonsell of Slacker Theory.

Again, Steve Danfelt of Slacker Theory.

Slacker Theory’s rhythm section, Ryan George and Rob Bonsell.

Again, Slacker Steve.

One more time, Slacker Theory.

JP’s HAIKU

61 South blues
Glorious noise at York Fair
Sterling smoked on steel!

http://pamusician.net
 Back to top »
Jim Price

Post Posted: Sunday Dec 20, 2009 

http://pamusician.net
 Back to top »