· The Final Cut
Guitarist Looking To Join/Form A Band
ROCKPAGE Forum Index » Musicians / Bands Wanted / Available
previous topic :: next topic  
Dark Soul
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Posted: Monday Jan 04, 2010 

I've been playing guitar for over twenty years. Mostly I'm into progressive rock and metal. My influences include Dream Theater, Opeth, Rush, Kansas, Pink Floyd, Porcupine Tree, Circus Maximus, Yes, etc. I want to join or create a unique band project that isn't doing the same thing everyone else is doing. I love metal and classic rock, but I'm tired of such bands doing either the same old standards everyone plays or whatever's new regardless of how good it is. I'd like to play a mix of cover songs from admired bands and/or original material. Basically what I want to do here is actually play some truly great music. I want to give people a chance to hear some unique music they wouldn't be able to hear anywhere else. There are incredibly few musicians in the area doing this kind of music. So here's a call for anyone interested in something like this to email me and get something started. Or if you're a group looking for a guitarist, let me know.

However, I know the limitations of the area so I'm willing to play in just about any metal or classic rock group if the music is good.

Last edited by Dark Soul on Wednesday Jan 13, 2010; edited 1 time in total
 Back to top »
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
beachcomberusa

Post Posted: Tuesday Jan 05, 2010 

I am a drummer with similar musical interests looking for a new project, hit me up and we can see where it goes.
Dark Soul
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Posted: Wednesday Jan 06, 2010 

I've been getting a lot of responses here, but few seem interested in the kind of music I want to do.

So to clarify: I am NOT interested in doing country, 80s hair metal, hardcore/grindcore, oldies, punk, or top 40.

I'd like to play metal or classic rock as far as covers go. Ideally, I'd like to do original music in the vein of progressive rock/metal/fusion, but I don't mind being in a cover band if the music being chosen is tasteful and not the same thing every other band in the world is playing. I don't care how "danceable" (oh, how I loathe that ubiquitous word) a song is or if the audience will know the words or not. I want to do music people aren't expecting to hear; music chosen primarily for its aesthetic merit. I don't give a rat's ass if people have heard it on the radio or not. As far as I'm concerned, the radio is a good way to hear music I DON'T want to do for the most part.

I realize the odds of getting something like this together in this area are slim, but that's the kind of music I love and I'm willing to compromise to a point, but if I'm going spend time and effort putting together a band, I want to be playing music I like. Come on folks! There's gotta be some prog lovers out there! Hit me up!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
DirtySanchez
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Post Posted: Thursday Jan 07, 2010 

Dark Soul wrote:
Come on folks! There's gotta be some prog lovers out there! Hit me up!

They're all too busy listening to Dream Theater and playing in their mom's basements. And using the internet for what it was intended: RPG's!!!

J/K man. Good luck with your search. Be patient, it will be tough. That stuff is not mainstream for a reason.
Dark Soul
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Posted: Saturday Jan 09, 2010 

Yeah I know. I have my own theories on why it's not more mainstream, but in the interests of peace, I will not rant about that here. Smile
Unholy

Post Posted: Monday Jan 18, 2010 

Good luck finding people dude. I've only tried out for a few bands, but I am certainly noticing a pattern in what is played around here. I'd try to join ya, but I fear that my skill isn't where it needs to be for the stuff you wanna do, and I generally play in the punk/90's rock style as that's what I like.
 Back to top »
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
RFBuck
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Posted: Monday Jan 18, 2010 

Best of luck with that. It's hard to make anything stick in this area that people don't know. I've pondered this for years, actually...and tried the "Road Of The Originals." While a lot of the popular songs are fun to play, it can get frustrating at times when you venture off the beaten path with a different cover for the sake of diversity and people turn and walk away or wait until you're done and yell "play something GOOD!"
It wasn't until my last band played a bogus competition in Pittsburgh that allowed us to experience people who appreciated original music. A long way from home and a lot of time spent for some people to say "Hey, you guys write some great stuff"...but it was worth it. They didn't want Nickleback, or Buckcherry, or whatever...they wanted US, or whatever other bands were playing.
Dark Soul
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Posted: Tuesday Jan 19, 2010 

I know what you mean. I think it's funny that people would yell "Play something good!" when what they really mean is, "Play something I already know!" If people want to hear tunes they know, that's what a stereo is for. I want to be in a band that earns a reputation for playing unusual or original music you won't hear anywhere else.

I'm not trying to bash cover bands. I've done my share of playing covers. To each their own. If that's what makes you happy, there's tons of cover bands out there that will provide, but that's not what I want to do. I wouldn't mind playing a cover band just for fun but even that's difficult around here. Trying to get a band together doing truly creative songs that haven't already been played to death is damn near impossible.

Maybe it's something in the water...
RFBuck
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

I've already pondered the water Laughing Laughing
Merge
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

I think it's caused by living in an area that's either in a time warp or loaded with narrow minded people. We have the same problem down here.
Randy

Post Posted: Thursday Jan 21, 2010 

Sounds like you don't want to do yhe same old I would be interested in getting togeyher. I am from Altoona play harmonica and sing. I hear local bands doing the same stuff for the past 10 years or more. It gets boring a new sound would be good with a new variety. Gte in touch with me if you are still looking. 942-1632
Dark Soul
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Posted: Thursday Jan 21, 2010 

How well can you sing? Could you cover vocals along the lines of James LaBrie, Ian Gillian, Layne Staley, or Bruce Dickinson? Not that I'd expect a singer to cover such vocals exactly, but we'd need someone who can at least come close.
Randy

Post Posted: Monday Jan 25, 2010 

I could do most of this other stuff like ozzie,judas priest and ronnie james dio I have done covers from.
Dark Soul
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Posted: Friday Jan 29, 2010 

Excellent. I will keep you in mind for sure. For right now, still looking for players.
nonamenogenre

Post Posted: Saturday Jan 30, 2010 

DirtySanchez wrote:
Dark Soul wrote:

They're all too busy listening to Dream Theater and playing in their mom's basements. And using the internet for what it was intended: RPG's!!!

Funny story, It's an apartment. But I love playing RPGs.

Unholy wrote:
Good luck finding people dude. I'd try to join ya, but I fear that my skill isn't where it needs to be for the stuff you wanna do, and I generally play in the punk/90's rock style as that's what I like.

I'm a little like that too, but I know compound meter, and I have a big enough kit.

Dark Soul wrote:
I know what you mean. I think it's funny that people would yell "Play something good!" when what they really mean is, "Play something I already know!" If people want to hear tunes they know, that's what a stereo is for. I want to be in a band that earns a reputation for playing unusual or original music you won't hear anywhere else.

I'm not trying to bash cover bands. I've done my share of playing covers. To each their own. If that's what makes you happy, there's tons of cover bands out there that will provide, but that's not what I want to do. I wouldn't mind playing a cover band just for fun but even that's difficult around here. Trying to get a band together doing truly creative songs that haven't already been played to death is damn near impossible.

Maybe it's something in the water...

I agree with that statement passionately.

I've been in a couple nowhere bands, the one I drummed for www.Myspace.com/Dangerousbd didnt play a single cover. But everything was in 4/4, and no one knew what notes they were playing.
You are most likely my elder, but do you need a drummer?
 Back to top »
Dark Soul
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Posted: Sunday Jan 31, 2010 

Hey, doesn't matter to me how old or young someone is. If you can play well, that's good enough for me. I may very well end up needing a drummer. How well do you play?
ROCKPAGE Forum Index » Musicians / Bands Wanted / Available
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: