· The Final Cut
ST. PATRICK'S WEEK/WEEKEND RECAP 3/22/10
ROCKPAGE Forum Index » JP's Corner
previous topic :: next topic  
Jim Price

Post Posted: Wednesday Mar 31, 2010 

ST. PATRICK’S WEEK/WEEKEND RECAP 3/22/10

THAT’S WHAT SHE SAID/GAMBER GONE WILD @ PELLEGRINE’S, ALTOONA 3/15/10

After recent crazy Monday night episodes, I wondered what other hell could possibly break loose during this week’s edition of wings and live music at Pellegrine’s.

Compared to the two previous two weeks, things were a little tamer this week. Adam D, Eric D and Jess P filled the night with tunes, joined along the way by the regularly-scheduled “Gamber Gone Wild.” Chris Vipond & Stanley Street Band guitarist Phil Wagner made a cameo appearance prior to my arrival.

Other noteworthy stuff that happened this week: The first “Gamber Gone Wild” appearance, with Jerry singing lead on Dylan’s “Knockin’ on Heaven’s Door” – at least to my ears – sounded eerily similar to The Embalmed’s “Heaven Below.” No, I don’t think Jason from The Embalmed has been giving The Gambino voice lessons!

Also, That’s What She Said femme fatale Jess P. seems to be developing quite the posse to assist her at these shows…First it was “Jenn The Heckler” stepping up as Jess’ bodyguard (mainly against Adam D). Now I’m noticing Pelly’s legend “Earl” providing roadie services for Jess. I wonder if she needs a press agent?

Tune-wise, it was pretty much the routine mix of favorites and occasional curios. Two notable songs that Jess has added to her arsenal in recent weeks include the Dixie Chicks’ “Goodbye Earl,” which she sent out to her new roadie (kind of morbid, though!). And then there’s that cat-themed song Jess has been singing in recent weeks, which uses double-entendre lyrics and coaxes audience members to meow along during the choruses…cheap thrills on a Monday night!

Late in the show, frequent-flyer guest Bryan provided the lead voice on That’s What She Said’s version of Harry Chapin’s “Cat’s in the Cradle.”

In all, although a little tamer than recent weeks, still a fun Monday night of wings and music, ‘nuff said!

Gamber Gone Wild…or Gamber Gone Embalmed?

The Gambino entertains the Pelly’s partiers.

Again, Gamber Gone Wild.

THE PRIMER GREYS/JUST US/THE LONE RANGERS @ HILLBILLY ROY’S, ALTOONA 3/17/10

St. Patrick’s Day featured lots of live music throughout the area, and a lot of options to consider. I was curious to see Ed McDonald’s new post-Rusty Gun Revival band project, The Primer Greys; and I was also curious to check out the new Altoona venue where this group was slated to perform this night, Hillbilly Roy’s, operated by former Hitching Post proprietor Butch. So I decided to head there to begin my St. Patty’s live music enjoyment.

Housed in the former Hollywood Video (?) and Ebersole Beverage location along Pleasant Valley Boulevard, Hillbilly Roy’s is a small venue. But what it lacked in size, it more than made up for in good food, fun and hospitality this night! If you miss those delectable Hitching Post barbecue ribs, they thrive here! And thanks to Butch’s mom for the complimentary bowl of corned beef and cabbage to start the night!

As I arrived, the other advertised band on the bill, Just Us, was performing – unplugged and un-amped! All three members – Steve Koval, his son Eric and Fred Aughenbaugh – strum acoustic guitars; Steve sings lead. During their two sets this night, Just Us played a variety of classics with a down-homey, Americana vibe. Steve sang with a hearty voice, and this band clearly had fun as they did songs from Lynyrd Skynyrd, Steve Earle, Georgia Satellites, Stevie Ray Vaughan, Tom Petty, The Hollies, Steppenwolf and more. I especially liked their acoustic take on Joe Walsh’s “Rocky Mountain Way,” Steve’s hearty vocals on CCR hits like “Green River” and “Travelin’ Man,” and more.

Eric Koval was doing double-duty, as he also sang and played guitar for The Primer Greys. Eric, Ed on upright bass and Ian on snare drum played charged roots rock and rockabilly during several appearances throughout the evening. The trio did several catchy originals like the shout-along “Switchblade,” as well as rowdy versions of Johnny Cash’s “Folsom Prison Blues” (by request), The Crickets/Bobby Fuller’s “I Fought the Law” and Reverend Horton Heat’s “Baddest of the Bad.” These guys were fun and energetic just strumming acoustic; I’ll have to catch a plugged-in performance sometime soon!

And then there were the guests. A steady stream of musicians arrived during the course of the night, both to check things out, and some to perform. The Lone Rangers were one of the latter; they stepped up after The Primer Greys’ first set to perform unplugged tunes from John Mellencamp, Proclaimers, Bob Dylan, Sublime, Old Crow Medicine Show and more.

Several individual performers joined along the way, as the night evolved into one nice, unplugged jam session! There was “Gene the Banjo Machine” picking and grinning on the banjo; he sat in with Just Us and The Primer Greys, plus did a few uproarious banjo numbers on his own – my favorite had to be his rendition of the traditional number “Johnny Be Fair!” Jarrett Bickel and Hunter James from Rain Must Fall stepped up to perform Tom Petty’s “Mary Jane’s Last Dance” and the Beatles’ “A Hard Day’s Night.” Former Hitching Post regular Darren sat in to play guitar on a few numbers; there was also a fiddle player in the mix. And Hillbilly Roy’s main man Butch broke out the spoons and played them several times during the evening, literally playing until his fingers bled!

Although I knew I wanted to catch another band in town, I had great difficulty leaving this party, as it was a continuous fun vibe, and every time I wanted to leave, different musicians would step up and do something else off the wall! Eventually, though, duty pulled me out the door of Hillbilly Roy’s to catch other band entertainment in the ‘Toona this night. But after the good time I had in this room, guaranteed I will be back!

The Primer Greys.

With shamrocks sprouting up before them, The Primer Greys.

Just Us.

The Lone Rangers.

With a few additional guests joining them, The Lone Rangers.

THE CLOVER @ ALDO’S, ALTOONA 3/17/10

I then headed to Aldo’s to cap the night with plugged-in Irish flavored tunes courtesy of The Clover.

Aldo’s was filled with St. Patty’s revelers, including at least a couple of guys sporting kilts! Shortly after my arrival, The Clover kicked into their last set of the evening. Singer/bassist Greg “Mudzo” Mudzinsky, guitarists/singers Patrick Newby and Lance T. Burgess, and drummer Matt Floravit fired off old and new Irish/folk-driven, punk-rocking odes to raise adult beverage bottles and glasses to. The group did songs from their 13 Steps disc such as “Last Rock Soldiers” and “Let ‘Em Go.” They also introduced several newer originals such as “One More Mile,” “The Night the Savior Shotgunned My Last Pounder,” the whisky ode “Mr. Jameson” and “All for the Grog.” Things got crazier as the set progressed, with former Clover guitarist Dan Johnstone, The Whatleys’ Eddie Fraud and other musical guests replacing The Clover onstage to do a Clover number, “It’s Time for Work (And I’m Still Drunk)”; before the night ended with the combo of “Old German/Drink This Problem Away,” containing a wild medley of favorites refitted with drink-friendly lyrics!

The Clover was in good form, and sounded appropriately rowdy and tight on their instruments. Mudzo had fun with the crowd, rallying them to raise drinks and firing off witty one-liners along the way.

It all amounted to an uproariously good time, and a rowdy and fitting finale to slam the lid on St. Patty’s Day.

With shot glasses raised toward the wearin’ of the green, The Clover.

Patrick Newby of The Clover.

Mudzo of The Clover.

Again, The Clover.

Matt Floravit of The Clover.

Again, Mudzo of The Clover.

Eddie Fraud and another guest musician, introducing “The New Clover.”

The New Clover. When the old Clover steps off stage to drink their problems away, these guys can fill in.

Old and new Clovers join forces.

The Clover’s St. Patty’s merriment continues.

Lance T. Burgess of The Clover.

THE NIGHTHAWKS/FELIX & THE HURRICANES @ PELLEGRINE’S, ALTOONA 3/19/10

I was excited about this night ever since Pat McGinnis first informed me about it. Renowned D.C. blues artists The Nighthawks were coming to Altoona for the first time to perform at Pellegrine’s this night, with the trusty Hurricanes opening. If this initial show was successful, it might pave the way for more big name blues acts performing at this location.

I arrived early, and was invited to join both bands for the pre-game meal. I met the Nighthawks; what a great down-to-earth bunch of guys! This meal set the tone for what would be a totally fun evening.

With our supper ending right at show time, The Hurricanes took to the stage and went about warming up the growing audience for the Nighthawks. Felix, Bob and Jeff provided a selection of original songs and classics, including a new song Jeff wrote about the group’s recent Memphis sojourn, “Walkin’ Down Beale Street.” The ‘Canes also did original song favorites such as “Who’s Hurting Who,” “Icy You,” “I Just Had to Play the Blues” and “Walking A Straight Line.” And when Felix fractured a guitar string, Jeff and Bob took over to cover for the string change with a bass and drum rendition of the original “Cut That Line,” with Jeff’s bass mastery and voice doing such an effective job serving up the melody that Felix’s guitar almost wasn’t needed! Toward set’s end, Felix issued the invitation through the microphone for Mark Wenner of The Nighthawks to step up to play some harmonica. Mark quickly accepted the invitation and stepped in for several songs, including Elmore James’ “Done Somebody Wrong” and a song The Nighthawks recorded, Rosco Gordon’s “Just a Little Bit” to close the set. Very cool!

Mark Wenner of The Nighthawks joins Felix & the Hurricanes.

The Hurricanes with Mark Wenner.

Mark Wenner and Felix Kos.

Once again, Mark and Felix.

Once again, The Hurricanes with Mark Wenner.

After a short intermission, The Nighthawks stepped up to perform two sets of gritty blues, with an emphasis on material from their latest two albums, Last Train to Bluesville and American Landscape. Mark Wenner displayed his trademark gravelly howl and hearty harmonica wail, backed by the seasoned corps of guitarist Paul Bell, bassist/singer Johnny Castle and their new drummer, Pittsburgh’s Mark Stutso. The Nighthawks kept Pellegrine’s dance floor busy with such tunes as “Jana Lea,” “Made Up My Mind,” “You Don’t Love Me,” “Don’t Turn Your Heater Down,” “The Chicken and the Hawk,” a song from Mark Stutso’s solo CD and more. The musicianship was excellent, especially Mark Wenner’s harmonica playing; and vocally, Mark Stutso and Johnny Castle both could hold their own well as singers. Into the show’s homestretch, Mark Wenner returned the favor, inviting Hurricane Felix to the stage to play guitar on several numbers, including Sonny Boy Williamson’s “Good Morning Little Schoolgirl,” Willie Dixon’s “Hoochie Coochie Man” and Muddy Waters’ “Got My Mojo Working” to end the night.

Paul Bell of The Nighthawks.

Mark Stutso of The Nighthawks.

The Nighthawks.

Mark Wenner of The Nighthawks.

The Nighthawks trigger some dance floor activity.

Again, Mark Wenner.

Again, The Nighthawks.

Johnny Castle of The Nighthawks.

Hurricane Felix joins the Nighthawks’ party.

Paul Bell and Felix.

Once again, Mark Wenner.

Again, Paul Bell of The Nighthawks.

Mark Wenner and Hurricane Felix got their mojo working.

The atmosphere was fun and festive throughout this show; with both bands triggering abundant dance floor action. The turnout was good, with many blues fans in the house; boding well for future blues shows in at Pellegrine’s in coming months. As expected, this was a special night!

A little post-game celebrating with The Nighthawks and The Hurricanes.

A little more chicanery with The Nighthawks and The Hurricanes.

814 RIOT @ CASTLE PUB, EBENSBURG 3/20/10

You can’t keep a good party down!

Last year’s edition of the popular St. Patrick’s weekend tradition, the 814 Riot, was supposed to be the event’s swan song. But the musicians and fans wouldn’t let this shindig die and go away, and the Riot was brought back this year to its home for the past few years, the Castle Pub. You can’t keep a good party down!

Since I had two articles to complete under deadline for Pennsylvania Musician this weekend, I had to join this year’s Riot in progress. I stepped into the Castle Pub just as Top Dead Center had finished their set on the upstairs stage. I also missed an earlier set by American Made Soul Grenade. But at music was ready to kick off downstairs in the Dungeon, so I procured my first beverage and descended the steps.

Happy Valley’s happy punks, The Whatleys, were ready to go. I’ve been running into this band a lot lately! Singer/bassist Eddie Fraud, guitarist/singer Hiro, guitarist T.J. Fadehawk and drummer Jimmy Whatley cut loose with their torrid brand of old-school flavored punk rock originals and a few select covers. The group fired off one of their many drinking odes, “One More Drink,” “One Last Time,” their throttling version of the Misfits’ “I Want Your Skull,” a Bouncing Souls cover and more. The Whatleys were a good fit for the 814 Riot, and their performance received abundant applause from the Dungeon crowd.

Hiro of The Whatleys.

Eddie Fraud of The Whatleys.

Again, Eddie Fraud.

T.J. Fadehawk of The Whatleys.

Jimmy Whatley of The Whatleys.

The party then continued on the upstairs stage with Dick Shack Posse. As expected, the Posse kept the steadily growing crowd happy with their glorious renditions of old-school punk and hardcore classics. Frontman Scoob Lanzendorfer, guitarists Jeff Reid and Brian Weibley, bassist Andrea Weibley and drummer Bob Brunner fired off tunes from Agnostic Front, Rancid, Black Flag, Fear, Misfits and more. The group welcomed a female guest singer up to duet with Scoob on Dropkick Murphys’ “The Dirty Glass.” And fully decked out in a kilt, guest Tim Gatehouse stepped up to play bagpipes on another song. Eddie from The Whatleys and Justin from The Side Effects also provided some gang shouts on a song or two.

Dick Shack Posse.

Grant Matthews captures some video of Andrea of Dick Shack Posse in action as Jeff Reid looks on.

Scoob of Dick Shack Posse.

Jeff Reid of Dick Shack Posse.

A guest singer steps in during Dick Shack Posse’s rendition of “The Dirty Glass.”

Scoob and the guest continue their duet.

Justin Cuff and Eddie Fraud join Dick Shack Posse’s party.

Scoob and Eddie.

Dick Shack Posse and their guests whoop it up.

Again, Justin and Eddie.

Guest Tim Gatehouse brings his bagpipes into the equation.

Again, Tim Gatehouse.

Tim Gatehouse and Jeff Reid.

Yours truly and an 814 Riot fan, having a good time.

Back to the Dungeon I headed for the next band, Pittsburgh trio Supercharged Suicide. These guys were badass, unleashing supercharged, scathing punk-fueled psychobilly sounds. Singer/guitarist El Toro, pompadoured upright bass man Beezlebob and drummer Brian Smith exploded out the gate and went for broke with breakneck original tunes. Their sound hinted at what it might sound like if Motorhead tried their hand at rockabilly. Supercharged Suicide also delivered a torrid take on Charlie Daniels’ “Leave This Long Haired Country Boy Alone.” These guys set a feverish pace from the get-go, and never let up…insane!

Commencing their set, Pittsburgh’s Supercharged Suicide.

El Toro of Supercharged Suicide.

Beezlebob of Supercharged Suicide.

Again, Supercharged Suicide.

Again, Beezlebob.

Brian Smith of Supercharged Suicide.

Once again, Beezlebob of Supercharged Suicide.

Again, El Toro of Supercharged Suicide.

Next up on the upstairs stage was Locked Inside. Singer/guitarist Grant Matthews, guitarist Mike Lanzendorfer, bassist Matt Meguess and drummer Mike Masone drilled their hard-hitting brand of punk rock, and kept the Riot crowd rowdy with tunes like “Beatdown,” “No Way to Live,” “Keep Us Alive,” the slower “Me and You” and my favorite, the motorcycle ode “Bastard ’68.” Locked Inside sounded sharp and on target, and kept their velocity constant throughout the set. Good stuff.

Locked Inside.

Grant Matthews of Locked Inside.

The crowd looks on as Locked Inside performs.

Mike Lanzendorfer of Locked Inside.

Again, Locked Inside.

Mike Masone of Locked Inside.

Again, Grant Matthews of Locked Inside.

Again, Mike Lanzendorfer.

Again, Locked Inside and crowd.

Wrapping up action on the Dungeon stage was Pittsburgh’s Atomic Drops, who maintained their own brisk tempo with high-velocity punk-driven sounds. These guys have changed some personnel since the last time I saw them; the current edition features Scott Terz on vocals, Luke and Phil on guitars, Mike Lux on bass and P.J. on drums. Atomic Drops were caution-to-the-wind on original songs such as “Say What You Mean” and “Fistfight,” as well as a ripping edition of Thin Lizzy’s “Cowboy Song.” It was all high-octane and kickass…And what the hell, I gotta like a band that puts the legendary Bruno Sammartino on their Myspace page!

Phil and Scott Terz of The Atomic Drops.

Scott Terz of The Atomic Drops.

Scott and Luke of The Atomic Drops.

Phil of The Atomic Drops.

The Atomic Drops.

Again, Scott Terz.

One more time, The Atomic Drops.

Solegion then slammed the lid on the upstairs Riot activities with their own high-velocity brand of metal-driven rock. Singer Jarrod Bartock dedicated the group’s original tune “Run Riot” to the 814 Riot, and he and Solegion also hammered forth originals such as “Vicious Vixen,” “The Plastic Image” and the thunderous “Sovereign Mantra.” Drummer Nick Tercek was again a flat-out beast behind the kit; this guy is all-out velocity, yet precise with his beats and fills! Although a few folks had filed out of the Castle Pub at this late juncture, those who remained stayed rowdy for Solegion’s offerings this night, providing a strong finish to a wild night.

Adam Getty of Solegion.

Kyle Cameron of Solegion.

Jarrod Bartock of Solegion.

Solegion and the crowd.

Nick Tercek of Solegion.

Simon Lieb of Solegion.

Again, Solegion and the Castle crowd.

Again, Adam Getty of Solegion.

Based on the support and energy in the room this night, I get the distinct feeling nobody will make the mistake of pulling the plug on this party again any time soon! The bands and fans have spoken, and the 814 Riot lives!

Some cheap thrills during the 814 Riot…when this couple requested I take their picture, one of the Castle Pub’s security guys got his finger in on the act just as I took the picture. Good timing…

Couple picture, take two…It’s always interesting that in most cases, strangers who ask me to take their picture never ask me about getting their own copy of the shot!

WITHOUT ZERB @ PELLEGRINE’S, ALTOONA 3/21/10

After finishing my “Homegrown Rocker” duties for another Sunday night, Pellegrine’s was again my destination. Making their first-ever appearance on Pelly’s stage this week was Without Zerb.

Despite being captivated by a reshowing of the 300 DVD on the rear room widescreen telly, I still caught a good portion of Without Zerb’s latter two sets. One thing that stood out to me this night is how far group namesake Bryan “Zerb” Zerbee has evolved as a singer. Zerb’s boisterous onstage personality was his focal point during this group’s early stages; but his singing abilities have steadily evolved, and he can now carry a tune quite well.

Zerb, guitarists P.J. Kelly and Scott Jurzik, bassist Brian Mannarino and drummer Steve Bidoli entertained the slowly-growing crowd with a blend of ‘80s, ‘90s and current rock and alternative favorites. At least early on, the group pulled out a few songs not commonly covered on area stages; including The Cure’s “Lovesong,” Cracker’s “Low” and Pearl Jam’s “Yellow Ledbetter.” The group also did good work on Foo Fighters’ new one, “Wheels,” plus tunes from Blur, Radiohead, Green Day, Greg Kihn Band, Seven Mary Three and more.

Without Zerb’s nightcap set featured more popular favorites from Jimmy Eats World, 3 Doors Down, Bryan Adams, Soft Cell, Cheap Trick, Georgia Satellites, Big & Rich, Wild Cherry and more. The group broke out a rollicking version of Stray Cats’ “Rock This Town,” as well as Kenny Loggins’ “Footloose.” They closed out the night strong with Nirvana’s “Rape Me.”

Although the crowd was thin early on, more folks showed up as the night progressed, and by night’s end a decent contingent was on hand. At least a few of them visited the dance floor before all was said and done.

Based on what I saw, Without Zerb represented well enough this night that their future Sundays on this stage may be in order.

Without Zerb finishes up the weekend at Pellegrine’s.

Namesake Zerb of Without Zerb.

Again, Without Zerb.

Scott Jurzik of Without Zerb.

Steve Bidoli of Without Zerb.

P.J. Kelly of Without Zerb.

Once again, Without Zerb.

One more time, Zerb.

http://pamusician.net
 Back to top »
Jim Price

Post Posted: Thursday May 26, 2011 

http://pamusician.net