· The Final Cut
WEEK/WEEKEND RECAP 4/5/10
ROCKPAGE Forum Index » JP's Corner
previous topic :: next topic  
Jim Price

Post Posted: Wednesday Apr 14, 2010 

WEEK/WEEKEND RECAP 4/5/10

THAT’S WHAT SHE SAID @ PELLEGRINE’S, ALTOONA 3/29/10

Monday night returned to being rowdy this week at Pellegrine’s, as That’s What She Said hosted their weekly three-ring circus of music and merriment.

With Adam D battling some laryngitis issues, Jess P handled the lion’s share of singing duties this night; and did much of her standard repertoire of pop, rock and country favorites and curios. Altoona’s favorite singing 9-1-1 operator was in the house, and provided his regularly-scheduled “Gamber Gone Wild” send-ups of Bob Dylan’s “Knockin’ on Heaven’s Door” and Looking Glass’ “Brandy.” And the night wasn’t without Zerb, as Without Zerb frontman/namesake Bryan Zerbee fronted That’s What She Said” on Johnny Cash’s “Ring of Fire” and dueted with Adam D on Styx’s “Come Sail Away.”

A large contingent of revelers and wing-eaters was in the house, raucously cheering on the proceedings. I even spotted “Hurricane” Bob pop his head in the door for a little while to check out the happenings.

That’s What She Said with Gamber Gone Wild…thrills on a Monday night!

JAM NIGHT @ PELLEGRINE’S, ALTOONA 3/31/10

As has been the case in recent weeks, Pellegrine’s Wednesday “Jam Night” again saw some new faces and more good jamming!

Kael Weis and Tony Tamburini – teaming together as Eventide – were in the house as I arrived, and they performed a couple of mini-sets during the night. Tony brought his digital drum set and provided percussion behind much of the jam sessions that erupted as the night progressed. And Colton Fouse of The Hawks showed up later and sat in on the fun as well, fronting the gathered contingent of musicians on several blues classics like Stevie Ray Vaughan’s “Mary Had a Little Lamb” and Pride and Joy,” and Jonny Lang’s “Rack ‘Em Up.”

Also participating in the festivities were Pelly’s “Jam Night” frequent flyers Adam D (well, he does organize the thing!), Eric D, Rich “Allheart” Edmundson, Big Jim, Don Osborn, and yours truly on hand percussion.

Besides the aforementioned jam session excursions, my favorite highlights had to be “Allheart” again demonstrating his percussive guitar techniques. This night, Rich also tapped his guitar strings with a bow during two numbers.

It again amounted to a fun night of musicians and friends generating music and good vibes together. If you haven’t checked out Pelly’s “Jam Night,” come be a part of one soon…these are fast becoming a big highlight of my week!

Rich “Allheart” Edmundson.

Tony Tamburini and Kael Weis of Eventide.
(The following pictures were taken by Deb Greene.)

Colton Fouse of The Hawks partakes in his first Pellegrine’s Jam Night.

A Professor plays his hand drums.

Big Jim jams on guitar.

A Professor plays his cajon.

Don Osborn.

Colton and Don trade licks.

Again, Colton and Don.

VOODOO BULLET @ 30 SOMETHING, ALTOONA 4/2/10

I first saw an earlier version of Voodoo Bullet a few years ago at The Brewery in State College. I remember that night well because (A) Voodoo Bullet was performing in place of another group I had intended to see, Tokyo Vertigo, and (B) a bar stabbing murder took place across the street from the parking garage where I parked my car…wild night!

Voodoo Bullet disappeared shortly after that, but a new version is now out and making the rounds. I decided to catch up with them this night at 30 Something.

Singer Brant Levi, guitarist Dan Rowley and drummer Troy Orner are carryovers from the earlier line-up I witnessed. Joining them these days are bassist Chris Prisk and lead guitarist Jeff McCloskey.

I arrived shortly into their second set. Not surprising for an unfamiliar band name (at least to Altoona) at 30 Something on a Friday night, nil crowd. However, one of the peeps that did show up was a lively lady, who started cavorting around the 30 Something complex and pulling people up on the dance floor. These types of fans need to be cloned so every show has one to pull people off of their butts and up in front of the stage!

Beyond that exuberant fan, Voodoo Bullet did a decent job themselves in getting a few folks up to the dance floor with their crisp mix of hard-rocking favorites from the ‘80s to present. Voodoo Bullet’s second set featured tunes from Guns N’Roses, Stone Temple Pilots, Cars, Roxette, Lit, Tom Petty and Motley Crue; and ended with a fast-paced original tune.

Voodoo Bullet amped it up a notch for the nightcap set, launching with Rage Against the Machine’s “Killing in the Name,” and pounding out numbers from Breaking Benjamin, Ozzy Osbourne, Bush, Billy Idol, more Guns N’Roses, Alice In Chains, and the Metallica double-shot of “Enter Sandman” and “For Whom the Bell Tolls” to end the night.

I was pretty satisfied with what I witnessed from Voodoo Bullet this night. They were instrumentally on target, and singer Brant showed energy and the ability to work the stage and dance floor. If this band can get an Altoona crowd in front of them, I’d predict they can keep that crowd until the end of the night.

Voodoo Bullet returns to 30 Something May 28, so perhaps my hypothesis will be put to the test.

Voodoo Bullet.

Jeff McCloskey of Voodoo Bullet.

Again, Voodoo Bullet.

Troy Orner of Voodoo Bullet.

Once again, Voodoo Bullet.

Brant Levi of Voodoo Bullet.

Dan Rowley of Voodoo Bullet.

More Voodoo Bullet.

Brant and Jeff of Voodoo Bullet.

6TH ANNUAL JEFF WALLACK MEMORIAL JAM @ ALDO’S, ALTOONA 4/3/10

It was 5 years and one day ago that an apparent brain aneurysm silenced one of the Altoona area’s most talented and popular guitar players, Jeff Wallack, at age 40. Shortly following his death, and every year after, a benefit concert and jam has been staged in Jeff’s memory. These have grown bigger and better each year, and this one, the 6th annual Jeff Wallack Memorial Jam at Aldo’s, promised to be the biggest and best yet!

Things were already looking good early as I first arrived, with a big crowd in place and steadily growing. Jeff’s fans, friends, and musical peers were in abundance, including a few I hadn’t seen in over two decades! The stage was being readied, with pictures of Jeff being projected behind and above the stage to bring back memories and set the mood.

One of Jeff’s musical peers, Adam D, soon took the stage and kicked off the night with his solo keyboard performance. Adam celebrated Jeff’s memory by sharing a few Jeff anecdotes and playing several songs that Jeff liked, including Kansas’ “The Wall,” and a Dream Theater number. Adam mentioned that he and Jeff briefly jammed together in a short-lived project that never played out on stages. It made for a fitting start to the night, and gave the acts to follow something to build on.

Kicking off this year’s Jeff Wallack Memorial Jam, Adam D.

Hurricane Bob and yours truly in a psychedelic haze. (Picture by Pam Hiles.)

The first full band of the night was I-Enemy, who took the stage next. This new edition of I-Enemy kicked ass and took names! Singer Ryan Dibert, guitarists Rich Johnson and Jody Earnest, bassist Jim Stephanic and drummer Dave Russell bristled on songs from Rage Against the Machine, P.O.D., Audioslave, Tool, Soundgarden and more. The instrumental firepower was tight and aggressive, and Ryan has stepped it up a notch as a singer since his Moxie stint; singing, snarling, growling and barking with confidence and poise. What I’ve seen of the new I-Enemy through the two performances I’ve witnessed has been impressive; hopefully they keep it moving forward and upward!

With a photo of Jeff Wallack and Dash Rip Rock overlooking them, I-Enemy launches their set.

Again, I-Enemy.

Ryan Dibert of I-Enemy.

Jim Stephanic of I-Enemy.

Rich Johnson of I-Enemy.

A large audience looks on.

Because Jeff Wallack liked to laugh, a comedian was part of this year’s show. John Anderson stepped up to the mic and did a short routine that brought a number of ladies up in front of the stage to listen and cheer him on.

Comedian John Anderson.

As happened the past couple of years, a few collaborations between musicians were planned for this year’s event. The first of those assembled on stage next. Named just seconds before starting their performance, “Mushroom Stamp” brought together Flight 19 members Brian Thomas on vocals, Phil Steele on keys and Mark Triforo on guitar; Paul Carraciolo on drums, and Jeff Wallack’s former Rapid Fire bandmate John Scarfone on bass. These musicians did two current rock favorites from Theory Of A Deadman and Puddle Of Mudd, and classics from The Knack and The Cult; before closing with a surprise, Pink Floyd’s “Shine on You Crazy Diamond!” These guys sounded good together despite only a few limited rehearsals, and the Pink Floyd finale brought jubilant cheers from the large Aldo’s crowd.

Mushroom Stamp commences their set.

Mark Triforo of Mushroom Stamp.

Paul Carraciolo of Mushroom Stamp.

Mushroom Stamp continues their set, as a projected photo image of a young Jeff Wallack looks on.

Phil Steele of Mushroom Stamp.

Once again, Mushroom Stamp.

A subplot of this year’s Jeff Wallack Memorial Jam was the return of NailDriver after a two-year absence on area stages. This group underwent a few changes over that span; the new edition features founding frontman Floyd Hunter and guitarist Scott Botteicher, joined by guitarist Scott Bush (fresh from the short-lived Voice Of Chaos) and long-dormant drummer Kevin Siegel. This performance turned into another highlight of many this night, as a focused NailDriver drilled forth five sharp-sounding original metal assaults. The group opened with their title “Naildriver,” and continued with the bristling tunes “Divided,” “We the People,” “In God We Trust” and “The Enemy.” Their music rode the fine line of aggression and melody; highlighted by Floyd’s tenacious howl, the clockwork precision of both Scott’s on their respective instruments, and Kevin’s leviathan drum pummeling! The large audience roared approval throughout the set, marking NailDriver’s triumphant return.

With the late Jeff Wallack looking on, Floyd Hunter and NailDriver.

Again, Floyd Hunter of NailDriver.

Scott Bush of NailDriver.

Scott Botteicher of NailDriver.

Kevin Siegel of NailDriver.

The two Scott’s of NailDriver, Bush and Botteicher.

Again, NailDriver.

Again, Kevin Siegel of NailDriver.

NailDriver performs to a packed crowd in front of the stage.

Another collaboration followed. The Half Tempted tandem of guitarist Ron Dalansky and bassist Joe George, Phil Steele on keys, Steve Oswalt on vocals and Steve Bidoli on drums dubbed themselves “Fried Pickle” moments before their performance began. This performance celebrated the ‘70s and ‘80s classic metal that Jeff Wallack enjoyed most, as “Fried Pickle” did renditions of Def Leppard’s “Wasted,” Dio’s “Holy Diver” and Black Sabbath’s “Sweet Leaf.” Semi-retired frontman Jim Mincin – who wrote the feature story in the Altoona Mirror about Jeff Wallack and this night’s benefit – was invited up on stage to introduce the group’s rendition of Judas Priest’s (Joan Baez’s) “Diamonds and Rust.” After the group performed the Scorpions’ “Still Loving You,” another surprise ended the set, as another of Jeff’s former bandmates – drummer Bob Weidmann – stepped in behind the drum kit to provide the beats behind Rush’s “Working Man.” By his own admission, this was Bob’s first serious performance behind a drum kit in nearly two decades! He hasn’t lost it – Bob did an impressive job as he quickly shook any apparent rust and delivered the thunder!

Fried Pickle commences their performance.

Steve Oswalt of Fried Pickle.

Again, Steve Oswalt.

Again, Fried Pickle.

Overlooked by a slide image of himself over 20 years ago with the band Rapid Fire, Steve Oswalt and Fried Pickle continue their set.

Once again, Fried Pickle.

Steve Oswalt and Ron Dalansky of Fried Pickle.

Ron Dalansky.

Back behind the kit for the first time in nearly two decades, Bob Weidmann.

One more time, Fried Pickle.

These two fans whoop it up during the Jeff Wallack Memorial Jam.

The night continued to escalate. Next was an eagerly-anticipated reunion, as four-fifths of Fatal Maim reconvened onstage for the first time in at least 18 years! Singer Troy Earnest, guitarist Rich Piccerillo, bassist John Scarfone and drummer Bob Watters – returning to the band where he earned his nickname of “Thunderfoot” – lit up the Aldo’s stage with a powerful set resurrecting some of Fatal Maim’s power metal original assaults, plus renditions of classic power, thrash and old-school metal favorites. With honorary soundman Jim Dickson overseeing the console, Fatal Maim fired off renditions of Megadeth’s “Wake Up Dead,” Slayer’s “Spill the Blood,” Motorhead’s “Ace of Spades” and Metallica’s “Seek and Destroy.” Troy thanked the crowd for the support, and providing a sentimental highlight, brought his daughters and mother onstage. The reunited Fatal Maim then closed out the set with another Jeff Wallack favorite, Judas Priest’s “Victim of Changes.” Their execution was sharp, and Troy’s voice still reaches most of the high notes. But after this amount of onstage exertion after all these years, the group joked they would all need hot tubs the next day to recover!

Rich Piccerillo of Fatal Maim.

John Scarfone of Fatal Maim.

Troy Earnest of Fatal Maim.

With a video slide image of Jeff Wallack looking down upon them, Fatal Maim brings the metal again.

Troy Earnest and Rich Piccerillo of Fatal Maim.

Again, Rich Piccerillo of Fatal Maim.

The reunited Fatal Maim with a multitude of fans.

Troy Earnest brings his daughters on stage.

Troys’s mother joins in as well.

Drummer Bob didn’t have that luxury, though…He and his current band endeavor, Felix & the Hurricanes, finished out the night. As the screen footage behind the band changed to show a lighthearted black-and-white video featuring Jeff Wallack, Tina Lamertina and Christine Collier called “If I Was a Train,” the Hurricanes closed out the event with a set of their blues-rocking originals and select favorites. Among the Hurricanes highlights this night was bassman Jeff Clapper’s new ode to the group’s recent Memphis sojourn, “Walkin’ on Beale Street,” along with faves like “The Lonely One” and “Walking a Straight Line,” a rendition of Stevie Ray Vaughan’s “Tightrope” and more.

With a video of Jeff Wallack playing behind them, Felix & the Hurricanes close out the benefit jam in Jeff’s honor.

Again, the Hurricanes with more Jeff video footage.

Jeff Clapper of the Hurricanes.

Felix of the Hurricanes.

One more time, the Hurricanes.

This night indeed did live up to its promise and hype, providing the biggest and best Jeff Wallack Memorial Jam yet! The music and musical memories were top notch from start to finish, and the celebratory theme of Jeff Wallack’s life and friendship was first and foremost the entire night. And in perhaps what was the best way to pay homage to Jeff, musicians and music fans from years past and present all converged, had fun, shared memories, and displayed camaraderie and togetherness in Jeff’s memory! It was cool to chat with and see folks like Todd Giornesto, “Bellwood Bruce,” Shawn Gioiosa, and many others I haven’t seen in a long time!

To echo the accolades and credits I read onstage this night, the Wallack family would again like to thank everyone for coming out and supporting the event. Specifically, thanks to Aldo and his staff for their support each year; John Scarfone for printing up posters, tickets and artwork; Mark Triforo for organizing the bands; all the bands, musicians and John Anderson for donating their talents; Jim Mincin for the Altoona Mirror article; the production contingent of Matt Picano, Ron Nearhoof, Steve Seymore and Jim Dickson; Music Emporium for selling tickets, and Glenda Rutherford for everything from selling tickets to getting prize donations to setting up the show’s Facebook page to assembling the slide show and more.

Needless to say, one helluva night, and a clear frontrunner as one of my favorite highlights of this year!

VS. THE EARTH/MISEUPHORIA @ PELLEGRINE’S, ALTOONA 4/4/10

In the aftermath of their recent signing with Waveland Music Group and E1 Records, Vs. the Earth officially graduated from the bar scene this night, playing their final bar gig at Pellegrine’s in Altoona, the town where it all began for a band once named Nevermore.

Per the instructions from their new employers, Vs. the Earth would just be playing their own original music this night sans cover tunes. As such, they would need the services of an opening act, and fellow Baltimore compatriots MisEuphoria got the nod to open Vs. the Earth’s final bar show.

A sizable crowd was in place at Pellegrine’s as I arrived toward the end of MisEuphoria’s first of two sets. This band turned out to be pretty good and entertaining. Comprised of Eric Nicholls on lead vocals and rhythm guitar, Billy Jack Mast on lead guitar and backing vocals, Melanie Mast on bass guitar and Chris on drums and percussion; MisEuphoria took care of the cover song portion of the evening. Displaying abundant energy and enthusiasm, the group mixed current and classic favorites from Green Day, Goo Goo Dolls, Tom Petty, Lit, Kings Of Leon, Loverboy, Proclaimers, Queens Of the Stone Age, Better Than Ezra, Rage Against the Machine and more. MisEuphoria had fun along the way, with Eric frequently bantering with the crowd, and welcoming a guest singer from the audience up to sing lead on Kings Of Leon’s “Your Sex is on Fire” and Queens of the Stone Age’s “No One Knows.” Their set was fun and their presentation energetic and polished; and MisEuphoria’s first Altoona appearance was well-received by the Pelly’s crowd. Hopefully this won’t be the last time we see this band on an Altoona stage.

MisEuphoria.

Eric Nicholls of MisEuphoria.

Billy Jack Mast of MisEuphoria.

Again, MisEuphoria.

Melanie Mast of MisEuphoria.

Again, Melanie Mast.

Once again, MisEuphoria.

A guest singer from the audience fronts MisEuphoria. This guy was actually pretty good!

Once again, MisEuphoria with a guest singer from the audience.

After the changeover, Vs. the Earth took the stage to cap their bar career. Singer/guitarist Adam Marino, guitarist Mike Ritchey, bassist Eric “Dawg” Swander and drummer Elliot Wiley uncorked a vibrant set of punchy power pop/punk original tunes, mixing songs from the forthcoming new CD and established Vs. the Earth favorites. Among the song fare the group offered up this night were “Story of My Life,” “Psycho,” “Goodbye to You,” “Who He’ll Be Tonight,” “The American Teenage Anthem,” “Carolina Sky,” “Lightswitch,” “Forever Yours,” “The Passing of Theodore Reilly” (which is actually a partial recycling of an old Nevermore song, “Sea Lullaby”) and more. Vs. the Earth displayed their trademark bounce-off-the-4-walls energy and spark, while displaying tight execution, enthusiasm and a Jager-fueled intensity. At night’s end, the Altoona throngs weren’t ready to say goodbye to this band just yet, and demanded an encore. Vs. the Earth answered those demands by bending the rules and breaking out one cover song, Poison’s “Nothing But a Good Time,” to end the night. The end of an era.

Dawg of Vs. the Earth.

Adam Marino and Dawg of Vs. the Earth.

Mike Ritchey of Vs. the Earth.

Again, Dawg of Vs. the Earth.

Elliot Wiley of Vs. the Earth.

Again, Vs. the Earth.

Again, Vs. the Earth and fans.

More of Vs. the Earth.

Again, Elliot Wiley of Vs. the Earth.

Yet more Vs. the Earth.

Ritchey and Adam of Vs. the Earth.

Once again, Dawg of Vs. the Earth.

Again, Mike Ritchey.

One more time, Vs. the Earth and a pumped-up audience.

For their next chapter on the path to the ultimate destiny of “lunchboxes and action figures,” Vs. the Earth embarks on a promotional tour of college campuses during the remainder of April and May. Their debut CD for Waveland and E1, The Initiative, is then slated to hit the streets on June 15, with more national touring to follow. The video for their song “Better Off Dead” is expected to debut on MTV on April 20. (I didn’t know MTV still even showed music videos!)

It’s been a wild decade of a ride so far. Here’s hoping Vs. the Earth hooks up with a good tour and lands a radio hit (or two or three), achieves their ultimate goal of national stardom and puts Altoona on the map!

http://pamusician.net
 Back to top »
Jim Price

Post Posted: Thursday May 26, 2011 

http://pamusician.net
 Back to top »
ROCKPAGE Forum Index » JP's Corner
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: