· The Final Cut
WEEK/WEEKEND RECAP 5/3/10
ROCKPAGE Forum Index » JP's Corner
previous topic :: next topic  
Jim Price

Post Posted: Friday May 14, 2010 

WEEK/WEEKEND RECAP 5/3/10

DOUBLE-D-n-A @ PELLEGRINE’S, ALTOONA 4/26/10

Adam D was in the house. Jess P wasn’t in the house this week, so it wasn’t That’s What She Said. Eric D was in the house, so it was Double-D. And Dwane Edmiston was in the house, so it was also D-n-A. So this Monday night at Pellegrines, the musical entertainment was provided by…Double-D-n-A!

Most of the singing duties were handled by Adam and Eric, who alternated back and forth on a variety of favorites. Some of the more interesting songs performed this night included Adam’s rendition of “Dead Puppies” from the Dr. Demento show, also his versions of Neil Young’s “Harvest Moon,” Bruce Springsteen’s “Thunder Road” and more. As expected, Eric broke out some interesting selections as well, including Todd Snider’s “Side Show Blues” and “Ballad of the Kingsmen,” The Devil Makes Three’s “Old Number Seven” and his fusion of the Rolling Stones’ “You Can’t Always Get What You Want” into Lou Reed’s “Walk on the Wild Side.” Dwane sang on several numbers, including Sublime’s “What I Got,” Grand Funk Railroad’s “I’m Your Captain (Closer to Home)” and the Allman Brothers’ “Midnight Rider.”

Along the way, a few guests joined in the tunes, including the regularly-scheduled Gamber Gone Wild marking of Looking Glass’ “Brandy,” guest singer Brian tackling “Just a Gigolo” and Styx’s “Come Sail Away,” and Pelly’s frequent flyer Rupp singing Jimmy Buffett’s “Margaritaville.”

In all, a laid-back Monday night of wings and music…

JAM NIGHT @ PELLEGRINE’S, ALTOONA 4/28/10

Wednesday Jam Night provided another fun evening of tunes and musical camaraderie.

The general format of Jam Night starts with host Adam D introducing various individual performers to do short sets. After these individual performances end, the jam sessions begin.

This night, Adam and Big Jim started things off with a short Sharkbite performance, followed by Rich “Allheart” Edmundson, who freestyled a song about boobs. A newcomer, Joe Plunket, stepped in to sing two songs, U2’s “Hawkmoon 269” (interesting choice!) and an original song called “Expired.” Next was Eric D with his short set of acoustic rock, folk and Americana. Sharkbite then returned with a guest singer from the audience named Joyce; a karaoke singer, Joyce did a respectable job singing on renditions of Bette Midler’s “The Rose,” CCR’s “Proud Mary” and Bob Seger’s “Old Time Rock’n’Roll.”

Then the jams began in earnest, with Adam, Big Jim, Phil Steele, “Allheart,” Eric D, Don Osborn, Priscilla the Tambourine Lady, a percussioning Professor and a few other participants platooning on and off the stage area to do songs from The Who, Rolling Stones, Tom Petty, Hollies, and more.

Rich “Allheart” Edmundson demonstrates his “percussive guitar” technique during Pelly’s Jam Night.

Again, Rich “Allheart” Edmundson.

One more time, “Allheart.”

BATTLE OF THE ACOUSTICS (PT. I) @ CITY HOTEL, NORTHERN CAMBRIA 4/29/10

This was the first installment of the first-ever “Battle of the Acoustics,” a showcase for area acoustic talent that would take place over several Thursdays at the City Hotel in Northern Cambria. Initially, the game plan was for two nights of preliminary rounds followed by a final round; however, response was so heavy to this event that City Hotel main man Robert had to expand the event to a five-night span stretching to the end of May.

The format was that seven acoustic acts would perform on alternating stage areas in both ends of the City Hotel’s main dining area. Each arriving audience member was handed a ballot with the seven names listed, and was told to circle the two acts they liked best. The votes would be counted up at the end of the night, and two winners would be picked from each round to advance to the finals on May 27. The contestants were performing and vying for a $600 cash first prize, a $100 cash second prize, and a $50 City Hotel gift certificate for third prize.

After Angelo and Alan from Sage Productions had everything set up and in place, the first contestant was ready to kick things off. That was Lou O’Hara, who performed a 20-25 minute selection of tunes from Led Zeppelin, Tom Petty, Seven Mary Three, Marshall Tucker Band, Steve Miller Band and the Black Crowes.

Kicking off “Battle of the Acoustics,” Lou O’Hara.

Folks continued to arrive as the second contestant, a duo, then performed on the rear stage. This was a father-and-son duo called A Lad And His Dad. Son Aaron and father Mike McGuire performed a selection of traditional Irish and folk sounds; including versions of “The Taxi,” “The Moonshiner,” “All for the Grog” and John Denver’s “Take Me Home Country Roads.”

The father-and-son duo of Mike and Aaron McGuire, performing as A Lad And His Dad.

Back on the front stage, the third contestant was solo performer Eric Story. Eric did a selection of country-geared folk, including a railroad song, versions of Steve Earle’s “Copperhead Road” and Johnny Cash’s “Folsom Prison Blues,” and more.

Singing, strumming acoustic and playing harp, Eric Story.

Stating his case next on the rear stage was Craig Fitzpatrick, former bassist of Tie Down and (the now defunct) Flatline. This was my first time seeing Craig perform solo. He performed a bright mix of acoustic rock favorites, including songs from Billy Joel, Pearl Jam, Foo Fighters, Violent Femmes, and double-shots of Pink Floyd and Bon Jovi.

Playing a six-string instead of four, Craig Fitzpatrick.

Another duo was next on the front stage, Ganister/Hi-Tyde guitarist Rob Sottile and Scott Henry. It was apparent by the instant crowd response that this pair were already local favorites, and they entertained the audience with renditions of The Clarks’ “Caroline,” Steve Miller’s “Dance Dance Dance,” REO Speedwagon’s “Take It on the Run,” Zac Brown Band’s “Chicken Fried,” Sister Hazel’s “Just for You,” and a special drink-friendly version of Social Distortion’s “Ball and Chain,” which paused at the end of every verse so the crowd could quaff another gulp of their beverage…In a battle determined by audience votes, audience participation songs could be key!

Rob Sottile and Scott Henry, performing as Rob & Scott.

Another pair next performed on the back stage. 6-String Redemption featured Chris Hepfer and Steve Duffalo. They also had some fans in the house, who cheered them on as they performed a mix of acoustic country and rock favorites, including John Prine’s “Angel from Montgomery,” Zac Brown Band’s “Toes,” Bon Jovi’s “Wanted Dead or Alive,” Pink Floyd’s “Wish You Were Here,” Collective Soul’s “Shine” and more.

6-String Redemption states their case onstage during “Battle of the Acoustics.”

Again, 6-String Redemption.

Closing out the competition for this first night was Rob Allen, alias Jumpin’ Rob, who performed a set of Americana-geared sounds on the front stage. Rob calmly performed his selection with a smooth voice and solid guitar playing. I didn’t recognize the songs other than a version of “Wagon Wheel,” but what he did sounded good.

“Jumpin’ Rob” Allen closes out the first round of “Battle of the Acoustics.”

At this point, the audience ballots were collected at the main bar and the votes were counted. After about 20 minutes, the two winners were announced for this round: Rob & Scott, and 6-String Redemption. These two duos would move on to the final round May 27.

The first night went off fairly smoothly, and the audience and musicians seemed to enjoy it. Hopefully this event will keep building steam from week to week. Congratulations to the first two winners, and kudos to all who took the stage. And thanks to Rob and the staff at the City Hotel for the hospitality!

City Hotel barkeep Marina and yours truly.

BRIAN CUPPLES @ LONDON WOLFE COFFEE SHOPPE, ALTOONA 4/30/10

London Wolfe Photography in downtown Altoona recently started operating a coffee shop in addition to their photo business. And they began running live entertainment on Friday evenings. I had wanted to check this out, and after Brian Cupples invited me to come see him, the opportunity had arrived.

Brian was performing as I arrived, and a few folks were seated and taking in the music and relaxed atmosphere. Brian mixed up an interesting selection of tunes during the set-and-a-half that I witnessed; performing a blend of early rock’n’roll, honky tonk, folk, Americana, blues and original songs. Brian was into some roots country when I first got there, doing Buck Owens’ “Close Up the Honky Tonks,” before doing Lucinda Williams’ “World Without Tears.” Next was an twangy instrumental number with a Duane Eddy/Merle Travis flavor, followed by Brian’s rendition of Del Shannon’s classic “Runaway” and Willie Nelson’s “Angel Flying Too Close to the Ground.” Brian then closed the set with two original numbers; first relating the real-life misadventure in Jamaica that inspired his calypso-flavored song “No Problem,” before following with his rip-roaring joyride-down-Kittanning Point Road-inspired “Gotta Go.”

I ordered up a latte and took in the environs and décor of the London Wolfe Coffee Shop. This was a nice, cozy setting for live music, and I can see why this room has been becoming a popular spot to check out performers over the past few months.

Soon “Brian Mortal” was back to perform one more set. Brian started this set with a surprise rendition of Chicago’s “Beginnings,” before shifting into Archie Bell & the Drells’ ‘60s classic “Tighten Up” and Bad Company’s “Feel Like Making Love.” He then dug back into the Lucinda Williams catalog for “Essence,” before doing a Dwight Yoakam double-shot of “Guitars Cadillacs” and “Things Change.” The eclectic selection continued with U2’s “With or Without You,” Amy Winehouse’s “Back to Black” and Jonny Lang’s “Still Wonder.” Brian then dazzled with a ‘tonked-out’ version of Jimi Hendrix’s “Little Wing” and a Hank Ballard number, before closing the night with another Amy Winehouse number, “Love Is a Losing Game.”

Brian took us on a fun and fascinating journey, using his classic rock’n’roll, honky-tonk and blues foundation to tie together his diverse and eclectic set list. It was interesting to hear Brian’s signature on this song selection, and his relaxed mood and presentation helped draw the small audience into his musical world.

It was a good update to Brian’s current musical soundscape, as well as a nice introduction to music at the London Wolfe Coffee House. I plan to take in more performers at this venue, for sure!

Performing as “Brian Mortal Music,” Brian Cupples.

Again, Brian Cupples.

“EYE ROCK FOR LEAH” BENEFIT @ 30 SOMETHING, ALTOONA 4/30/10

When “Big John” Kenawell owned and operated Peter C’s, the venue played host to more than its fair share of benefit events to help out individuals, families, nonprofit organizations and other aspects of the local community. Peter C’s also hosted several Rockpage Jam benefits to help keep this local music website in operation.

This night, the area music community gave back to a member of John’s family. John’s granddaughter, Leah, was born with an eye defect, and surgeries to attempt to correct the problem had not only been unsuccessful, but reportedly caused additional problems that needed corrected. The medical expenses incurred, along with missed work for Leah’s parents as they transported her for surgeries and treatments, were costing the family money. So the “Eye Rock for Leah” benefit was organized at 30 Something, with the proceeds helping out Leah and her parents.

The person this night was set up to help, young Leah.

Since I had to take care of some broadcast employer duties after leaving the London Wolfe Coffee Shop, I arrived at 30 Something too late to see the opening sets by Half Tempted and The Hawks; but eyewitness accounts reported that both bands represented well. The House Band was on the stage when I did arrive, and it wasn’t just The House Band, but a reunion of the U.S. House Band! Joining singer/keyboard man Mark Rossi, guitarist/singer Tom Rhodes and drummer Ed Murvine were Randy “Jackson” Rutherford on guitar, Pat McGinnis on bass, and for part of the set, Tim Yingling on drums! It was the first time these musicians convened on stage in 8 years! It was like old times, as the U.S. House Band did their Latin-driven spin on “All Along the Watchtower,” the James Gang’s “Funk #49,” Stevie Wonder’s “Superstition” and T-Bone Walker’s “T-Bone Shuffle” to close out the set. Guest trombone player Matt Brown stepped up to contribute some brassy edge to this last number.

Randy “Jackson” Rutherford and Tom Rhodes of the reunited U.S. House Band.

Mark Rossi of the U.S. House Band.

Again, Mark Rossi.

Tim Yingling and Pat McGinnis of the U.S. House Band.

Tom Rhodes, Tim and Pat of the U.S. House Band.

Again, Tom Rhodes.

Tim Yingling of the U.S. House Band.

Audience members Robert and Priscilla (without tambourine) watch the U.S. House Band.

Again, Randy “Jackson” Rutherford and Tom Rhodes.

The Hurricanes, who spent many a Thursday night jamming on the stage of Peter C’s during the venue’s run, took the stage next. Lead Hurricane/singer/guitar man Felix Kos, bassist/singer Jeff Clapper and drummer Bob Watters took the large 30 Something audience on a tour of their best-known original songs, plus a few new numbers. The ‘Canes quickly filled the dance floor with blues-rooted favorites such as “Walking A Straight Line,” “The Lonely One,” “Keep On Rockin,’” “Cut That Line,” “Icy You,” “Free” and “Black Widow.” Jeff sang his new song about the group’s recent Memphis journey, “Beale Street,” and the group also sang what sounded like a new original ballad, possibly titled “Comin’ Home to You.” In the latter stages of the set, the Hurricanes cut loose with some popular classic rocking covers, including The Outlaws’ “Green Grass and High Tides,” Blackfoot’s “Train Train” (highlighted by some smoking Felix slide guitar!) and Lynyrd Skynyrd’s “Ballad of Curtis Loew” (sent out to Jodie K). Trace Baker joined the group on stage to belt out voice on Led Zeppelin’s “Rock and Roll,” before the Hurricanes closed their set with the Allman Brothers’ “Blue Skys.”

The Hurricanes continue the “Eye Rock for Leah” benefit.

Lead Hurricane Felix Kos.

Jeff Clapper of the Hurricanes.

Again, Hurricane Felix.

Again, Jeff Clapper.

The Hurricanes inspire some rug-cutting.

An exuberant fan air-jams to Felix.

Bob Watters of the Hurricanes.

Once again, Felix of the Hurricanes.

Some ladies take in Felix’s performance.

It’s Peter C’s ladydom admiring Felix’s handiwork.

Kelly, Julia and Jodie K groove to Felix.

The ladies continue to groove to Felix.

Trace Baker joins in the fun.

Again, Trace Baker.

Felix and Trace.

Once again, Trace Baker.

Leah’s mom, former Peter C’s Julia (center) and her friends, enjoying the evening.

With the end of the night nearing, there was only a short amount of time left for a jam session, but one did take place. Hawks drummer Bill Hocherl and off-duty 7th Gear drummer Randy Servello started off the jam with a drum duet, before Felix Kos, Mark Rossi and Pat McGinnis took up positions on their respective instruments and joined the jam. Eventually the musicians culminated on two final songs to close out the night, Eric Clapton’s “I’ve Got a Rock’n’Roll Heart” and the Allman Brothers’ “Whipping Post.” It was cool to again see Mark’s keys and Felix’s guitar match wits with one another; too long since we’ve seen that virtuosic combination!

Bill Hocherl and Randy Servello kick off the night-closing jam session.

Again, Bill and Randy.

Mark Rossi and Felix Kos.

Mark, Felix and the drummers continue.

Once again, Bill and Randy.

Again, Mark and Felix.

Randy Servello and Pat McGinnis.

The jam session inspires some dancers.

Again, Randy Servello.

At the very end of the night, Autumn Shiffler, one of Julia’s friends, stepped up to the stage and sang a song a cappella, sending the tune out to Julia and providing a nice finishing touch to the night.

Autumn Shiffler, providing the finishing touch to the night.

It was a happy and memorable night, with lots of Peter C’s fans and regulars, musicians and friends in the house. Over $1,300 was raised to help out Leah and her parents with the expenses, and it was good to see the outpouring of support and appreciation to a family whose friendship to the Altoona area music scene hasn’t been forgotten!

Former Peter C’s main man Big John (right) with a former Peter C’s patron.

NIGHT TRAIN @ CITY HOTEL, NORTHERN CAMBRIA 5/1/10

For the second time in three days, I headed up the hill to Northern Cambria to check out more entertainment at the City Hotel, this time catching up with local favorites Night Train.

The City Hotel was doing good business as I arrived, with a sizable crowd in the house, including a wedding party. Night Train was just starting their second set, reconvening the music with Matchbox 20’s “3 AM.” Through the two sets I witnessed, singer Don Duriez, the father-and-son guitar-playing tandem of Jerry and Jared Carnevali, bassist/singer Ken Pompa and drummer Tim fired through a variety of rocking favorites from the ‘60s to present. Their repertoire stretched from ‘60s chestnuts like Crazy Elephant’s “Gimme Gimme Good Lovin’” and Van Morrison’s “Brown Eyed Girl” to Sammy Hagar’s “Mas Tequila,” The Clarks’ “Shimmy Low,” Three Doors Down’s “Kryptonite,” Santana’s “Smooth” and more. The group kept the dance floor busy through it all with numbers from Eddie Money, Billy Idol, Bon Jovi, Tom Petty, Gin Blossoms, Rare Earth, Guns N’Roses, Doobie Brothers and more.

The band was tight and together, and vocally Night Train was on the mark with solid voices and harmonies. I liked their song selection, energy level and pace; they kept the music constant, never giving the dance floor crowd much opportunity or reason to want to sit back down.

Clearly the hometown crowd liked these guys, because at night’s end Night Train got called back up for not one, but two encores! The group answered the first with Billy Idol’s “Rebel Yell,” and rewarded the second encore demands with The Cult’s “Fire Woman.”

This Train kept a rollin’ all night long, and delivered the good time!

Don Duriez of Night Train.

Ken Pompa of Night Train.

Night Train brings the party to the City Hotel.

A guest singer joins Don Duriez of Night Train.

The singing guest, Don Duriez and Jared Carnevali of Night Train.

Son and father; Jared and Jerry Carnevali of Night Train.

Again, Jared Carnevali.

Don and his guest harmonize.

Once again, Jared Carnevali.

Again, Don and Jared of Night Train.

Don, Jared and Jerry.

Tim of Night Train.

Ken and Tim of Night Train.

One more time, Don Duriez of Night Train.

VENT @ PELLEGRINE’S, ALTOONA 5/2/10

The end of my weekend again channeled through Pellegrine’s, where Vent was performing. I was hoping that unlike their last visit, that some other folks might actually come out, give this band a shot and see what they were about.

Although by no means packed, at least a few more people did show up and cheer Vent on. Singer Tom Getz, guitarist Dave Plisco, bassist Rob Staph and drummer Jason Houser did good work mixing favorites from the ‘80s to today. Their second set featured tunes from Jimmy Eat World, Stone Temple Pilots, Candlebox, Red Hot Chili Peppers, Pearl Jam, Matchbox 20, Toadies, Bloodhound Gang, Billy Squier, My Chemical Romance, Seven Mary Three, Duran Duran, Green Day, Blink 182 and more. At least a few dancers graced the floor during this set, and business seemed a little better than during this band’s last visit.

Tom and Dave started off the nightcap set with a few acoustic numbers, including The Church’s “Under the Milky Way” and a Pearl Jam number. The full group then picked up the tempo and brought some folks back onto the dance floor with tunes from Red Hot Chili Peppers, Nena, Fountains Of Wayne, Puddle Of Mudd, Ugly Kid Joe, Ataris, CCR, Soft Cell, Violent Femmes, Lit, and Johnny Cash-by-way-of-Social Distortion’s “Ring of Fire” to close the night.

While still a slow night by Pellegrine’s standards, at least there were enough signs of life this night to indicate that Vent might be starting to catch on with the Altoona fan base; and hopefully they’ll be able to grow that fan base with subsequent visits.

Vent, firing up the party at Pellegrine’s.

Dave Plisco and Tom Getz of Vent.

Again, Dave Plisco.

Performing acoustic, Dave and Tom of Vent.

Again, Vent.

Again, Tom Getz of Vent.

Once again, Dave Plisco.

More of Vent.

Jason Houser of Vent.

Rob Staph of Vent.

One more time, Vent.

http://pamusician.net
 Back to top »
Jim Price

Post Posted: Thursday May 26, 2011 

http://pamusician.net