· The Final Cut
WEEK/WEEKEND RECAP 5/17/10
ROCKPAGE Forum Index » JP's Corner
previous topic :: next topic  
Jim Price

Post Posted: Tuesday Jun 01, 2010 

WEEK/WEEKEND RECAP 5/17/10

THAT’S WHAT SHE SAID @ PELLEGRINE’S, ALTOONA 5/10/10

Once again, it was Adam D and Jess P as That’s What She Said, entertaining Monday night patrons and wing-eaters at Pellegrine’s.

This night was a bit of a split bill, as Jess P had to cut out early, leaving Adam to go it alone the rest of the way. Prior to her departure, Jess and Adam mixed vocal chores as they did favorites from Poison, Aerosmith, Carrie Underwood, Sublime, Joan Jett, Nirvana, 4 Non Blondes and more. Gamber Gone Wild turned in his weekly performance of Looking Glass’ “Brandy” as well.

After Jess’ departure, Adam entertained with an interesting selection of material, including tunes from Bad Company, Radiohead, Clash, Supertramp, Doors, Marc Cohn, Wang Chung, U2 and more. Some of Adam’s more interesting highlights included Aerosmith’s “Seasons of Wither,” a request for Chicago’s “Make Me Smile,” The Hooters’ “All You Zombies,” The Verve’s “Bitter Sweet Symphony” and more.

Good tunes, good wings, good time!

It’s a “Gamber Gone Wild”/Jess P duet!

JAM NIGHT @ PELLEGRINE’S, ALTOONA 5/12/10

This week’s Wednesday “Jam Night” at Pellegrine’s featured a blend of moods…Joy was in the air with the news that Harry Jr.’s wife, Robin, would be bringing a new Pellegrine into the world within the next 24 hours. There was also disappointment in the house with the Pittsburgh Penguins bowing out of the Stanley Cup playoffs with their 5-2 Game 7 loss to Montreal. The latter probably was the main reason for a lighter turnout of musicians and crowd this week. But the folks who did show up, both fans and musicians, had a great night.

The Shark Bite contingent of keyboardist/singer Adam D and Big Jim strumming acoustic started off the night with various favorites, and soon welcomed some guest singers up to take part. Kira Burley joined the duo to sing on Heart’s “Straight On,” before Alicia Hritzko stepped up to sing lead on “House of the Rising Sun.”

Next, Rich Dash stepped up to perform a short set of tunes from Bob Seger, Tom Petty and the Beatles; joined by Adam, Big Jim and Brian Weston on cajon.

Eric D then took up position to sing a few, doing a mix of classics and folk-geared numbers. Alicia joined him to sing on Johnny Cash’s “Folsom Prison Blues.”

Making his first Pelly’s Jam Night appearance, Ken Gray stepped up to perform versions of Pearl Jam’s “Black” and Lady GaGa’s “Poker Face,” plus an original tune, “Breathe.”

Gamber Gone Wild then made a special Wednesday appearance to perform Looking Glass’ “Brandy,” before the jam session kicked into full gear with various musicians stepping on and off the stage to partake. Participants in the proceedings included most of the aforementioned performers, plus Pat “Kibby” Kibler with his percussion arsenal (thanks for letting me bang on the drums, Kibby!), and Pelly’s Sunday door man Tony “T’wan”), who tapped out some beats on the cajon in the night’s late stages. And I did double duty this night, playing both percussion and tooting out the Robby Steinhardt fiddle solo on Kansas’ “Dust in the Wind.”

Again, it was a fun time for the musicians getting together to see what musical fireworks they could ignite, and for the audience taking in all the musical fun.

Making her Pellegrine’s Jam Night debut, Alicia Hritzko sings with accompaniment from Rich Dash and Big Jim.

Rich Dash, Brian Weston on cajon and Big Jim.

Adam D, Alicia, Pat “Kibby” Kibler and Eric D.

It’s a full-scale jam session, with Rich, Priscilla the Tambourine Lady, Adam, Terry Wilt, Kibby, Big Jim and Don Osborn.

Yours truly, trying out Kibby’s percussion set-up. (photos of me taken by Deb Greene)

I like this…I’ll have to look into purchasing a stand to position my own hand drums on.

Yours truly and Big Jim.

Adam, Priscilla, JP Kazoo, Big Jim and Don.

Yours truly buzzes out some kazoo.

A kazoo close up, or Adam is trying to light my kazoo...

Adam coaxes vocal participation from Alicia and Kira Burley.

Pelly’s doorman T’wan on cajon and Eric D.

Adam, T’wan, Kibby and Eric D.

BATTLE OF THE ACOUSTICS (PT. 3) @ CITY HOTEL, NORTHERN CAMBRIA 5/13/10

The third installment of “Battle of the Acoustics” at the City Hotel featured eight different acoustic performers, with two more advancing to join Rob & Scott, 6-String Redemption, Ken Gray and Acoustic Stew in the event’s final round on May 27 for a shot at a $600 first prize. A few different musical flavors showed up on the stages this night, as well as a few thrills and chills.

Up first was a local trio called Why Blue, specializing in bluegrass, folk and Americana-geared sounds. Featuring Nick Brumm on upright bass and vocals, Matt Sherry on guitar and Andrew Lieb on banjo; Why Blue did folksy renditions of Bob Seger’s “Turn the Page” and Social Distortion’s “Ball and Chain,” but ran into problems on Steve Earle’s “Copperhead Road” when Nick inadvertantly ripped the guts out of his upright bass. The group winged it the rest of the way, doing a guitar and banjo instrumental before finishing with a version of “Wagon Wheel.”

Kicking off the night, Why Blue.

Kicking off the music on the rear stage was another trio called Swine Divine. This group was based out of the Coalport/Blandburg vicinity, and featured former Cut The Mustard singer Rick Swauger, along with Ron Bintliff and Tom Skebeck on guitars. Likewise, technical issues plagued them off the bat with a broken string on their first song. The group regrouped as the afflicted string was replaced, and proceeded to play some classic and folk-geared sounds, including a version of Cat Stevens’ “Wild World.”

From the Coalport area, Swine Divine.

Bodacious B continued the music on the front stage. Matt Burns on guitar and vocals and Steve Brulia on drums played a fast-firing and variable mixture of favorites. They opened with an attention-getter off the bat, doing the “Free Credit Report.com” commercial jingle; and continued with tunes from The Outfield, Kid Rock, Bon Jovi, Chumbawumba, Journey, and a fusion of Ritchie Valens’ “La Bamba” with Ricky Martin’s “Livin’ La Vida Loca.”

Steve Brulia and Matt Burns of Bodacious B.

Up next on the rear stage was the duo of Matt Wagner and Joe Scott, half of area party rockers The Killer Boots. Both strummed and sang on a selection of favorites, including numbers from Sister Hazel, Kings Of Leon, Dave Matthews Band, Johnny Cash and more. Matt’s voice was strong and expressive, and he and Joe harmonized very well. Their guitar work was tight and precise as well. Their quality set brought a strong response from the City Hotel crowd; I got the feeling that these two might end up being one of the two finalists from this round.

Matt Wagner and Joe Scott.

The next performers on the front stage were 2nd Street, the father-and-son pairing of Jerry and Jared Carnevali (of local Northern Cambria rockers Night Train). This pair also offered tight playing and crisp harmonies as they performed a mixture of hits, including songs from Matchbox 20, The Clarks, Everly Brothers, Deep Blue Something, Gin Blossoms, Jimmy Buffett and more. Jerry and Jared also put in a strong effort, and kept the bar high for the acts to follow.

Jerry and Jared Carnevali as 2nd Street.

On the rear stage, another duo stated their case; Joe Konior and Alicia Hritzko. I had just experienced Alicia’s voice the night before during Pellegrine’s Jam Night, and would discover even more just how talented this singer is. With Joe providing guitar accompaniment, Alicia sang a stirring and passionate rendition of Patsy Cline’s “Crazy” to open the set, and followed with her rendition of “Folsom Prison Blues.” Joe chimed in to sing lead on the Rolling Stones’ “Ruby Tuesday,” before Alicia sang K.T. Tunstall’s “Black Horse and the Cherry Tree.” The two then dueted on a lesser-known Bob Dylan classic, “It’s All Over Now Baby Blue,” before closing with the spiritual “I’ll Fly Away.” Joe and Alicia also offered a strong and impressive performance; I was starting to be quite glad I wasn’t judging this contest!

Alicia Hritzko and Joe Konior.

Again, Alicia Hritzko.

Another duo continued the music on the front stage, Big Soul. Featuring Joe Sral on guitar and Dubois’ Paul McLaughlin on voice, soprano saxophone and flute. This pair brought a different flavor to the battle, performing a mixture of old-school blues, jazz, rock and R&B. Their eclectic song selection included Otis Redding’s “Sittin’ on the Dock of the Bay,” “Chevrolet,” the Rolling Stones’ “As Tears Go By,” a Cab Calloway-popularized number and more. I liked Big Soul’s song diversity and instrumental versatility, and thought they made a good argument in favor of advancing to the finals as well.

Paul McLaughlin and Joe Sral of Big Soul.

Again, Paul McLaughlin of Big Soul.

This round of the battle then closed with the evening’s only solo performer, Johnstown-based singer, songwriter and guitarist Mike Vavrek. Mike blended original song compositions with some rock’n’roll and reggae-tones numbers, offering an overall sound slightly hinting a Grateful Dead influence. I didn’t catch any of Mike’s original song titles, but did recognize a rendition of “Iko Iko” and Jimmy Cliff’s “Sitting in Limbo.” Overall, I thought Mike represented himself well and put his music out there in front of the large City Hotel crowd; hopefully a few folks would remember his name and make the point to catch his upcoming shows.

Closing the evening’s performers, Johnstown’s Mike Vavrek.

The ballots were then collected and the votes counted to determine the next two finalists to advance to the May 27 championship. When the numbers came in, it was Matt Wagner & Joe Scott and 2nd Street punching their tickets to the finals. The voting was reportedly close, and given the level of the competition this night, I likened this round of the contest to an NCAA basketball tournament bracket that had Kansas, Duke, Georgetown, UConn and Pitt…There were some quality acts on the stage this night!

“I HATE CANCER” CHRIS YOUNG BENEFIT @ YESTERDAY’S PARTY, EBENSBURG 5/14/10

The local music scene was coming together again to help out somebody in need this night, and I was there.

The person in need is Chris Young, who is battling cancer. Chris is the son of Terry Malchan, who operates Guitars ‘n Stuff in Mineral Point. Four bands were donating their talents this night to help out Chris with medical expenses in the “I Hate Cancer” benefit at Yesterday’s Party.

Show beneficiary Chris Young (at right), with Terry (at left).

With Chris and his father in the house to take in the event, Giants Of Science kicked off the night, followed by Without Warning. Soundman Brad Hawken played guitar for Without Warning, who are soldiering on following the unexpected passing of singer/guitarist Mike Burda in April.

I arrived prior to the third band on the bill, Sunset Strip, and observed a jam-packed house to support the event…very cool!

Sunset Strip proceeded to celebrate hair band rock of the ‘80s. This was my first look at this group following the recent additions of Al Kizina on drums and Tom Brown on guitar, joining singer Scott Mulligan and bassist Frankie Lyxxx. Returning to the live stage after a 20-year absence, Tom sounded and even looked Yngwie-esque as his fretboard pyrotechnics gave extra bite to Sunset Strip’s treatments of ‘80s classics. The Strip let it rip with tunes from Motley Crue, Kiss, Fastway, Coney Hatch, Ratt, Poison, Bon Jovi, Cinderella, LA Guns, Autograph and more. At one point, Tom uncorked a full-shred solo display to lead off Quiet Riot’s “Metal Health.” Y-P was partying like it was 1988 on the Sunset Strip, and the band Sunset Strip kept the dance floor packed through it all!

Sunset Strip kicks off their set.

Showing no signs of pensive fear this night, Tom Brown of Sunset Strip.

Al Kizina of Sunset Strip.

Scott Mulligan of Sunset Strip.

Still strickly wikkid on the guitar strings after all these years, Tom Brown of Sunset Strip.

Scott Mulligan of Sunset Strip takes it to the fans.

Tom Brown and Scott Mulligan.

Frankie Lyxxx of Sunset Strip.

Again, Tom and Scott of Sunset Strip.

Again, Frankie Lyxxx.

Again, Al Kizina of Sunset Strip.

Sunset Strip and fans.

Once again, Tom Brown.

Scott and Frankie of Sunset Strip.

Hello, Vixen then capped the night with their full-tilt party, firing off modern-rocking favorites from Weezer, Kings Of Leon, Quietdrive, Taking Back Sunday and more. The group didn’t let a few feedback issues thwart their effort to keep the crowd festive and engaged. Parading back and forth across the stage, singer Mark Simanski fired up the dance floor crowd and made them part of the show, backed by the fast-firing corps of guitarist Bill Maguire, bassist Ty Ayers and drummer Steve Holtz. When the crowd demanded more at night’s end, Hello,Vixen slammed the exclamation point on the evening with their explosive spin on Bouncing Souls’ “Olé.”

Capping the “I Hate Cancer” benefit, Hello, Vixen.

Steve Holtz of Hello, Vixen.

Ty Ayers of Hello, Vixen.

Again, Hello, Vixen.

Mark Simanski of Hello, Vixen.

Once again, Hello, Vixen.

A large crowd looks on as Hello, Vixen closes out the night.

It was a good night; and the bottom line: The “I Hate Cancer” benefit raised more than $1,500 to help out Chris Young. Hats off to the organizers, the bands, and everyone who came out to show their support!

BLAIR COUNTY ARTS FESTIVAL @ PENN STATE ALTOONA 5/15/10

Another of Spring’s milestone events arrived in this part of the world; the 42nd annual Blair County Arts Festival at Penn State Altoona.

First, in a rare anomaly, the weather was actually nice for BOTH DAYS OF THE FESTIVAL! No rain or monsoonal moisture, no frigid cold temperatures, no combinations of the previous two meteorological phenomena, and only minimal wind. Sunshine both days, with temperatures near 70…I made sure to take in both days of this year’s Festival, because great weather for this event happens only about once or twice a decade!

I arrived just in time to see the first of the day’s rock bands, R2B2, performing at the Food Court stage. This is the new collaboration of local music vets Rick Wertz on guitar and vocals, Bill Smith on bass and vocals, Rik Criste on guitar and vocals, and Beau Saller on drums. R2B2 performed a wide-ranging mix of classic rock and hits, pulling out a few unexpected surprises along the way. Their set list varied from Thin Lizzy’s “The Boys Are Back in Town” and Foreigner’s “Dirty White Boy” to Kentucky Headhunters’ “Dumas Walker,” to INXS’ “Need You Tonight” and Wang Chung’s “Everybody Have Fun Tonight.” After the latter song, a power failure cut the group’s set short. But what I heard was pretty strong; as Rick, Rik and Bill all displayed good singing voices up front, and the instrumental execution was solid as well.

Rick Wertz of R2B2.

Beau Saller of R2B2.

Ric Criste of R2B2.

Bill Smith of R2B2.

R2B2 entertains at the Blair County Arts Festival.

Again, Beau Saller.

Again, Bill Smith.

Again, Rick Wertz of R2B2.

I liked this year’s changed arrangement of the Food Court stage; now actually with a slightly raised wooden stage, this stage has been moved to the end of the Food Court area instead of smack-dab in the middle of it. So now the music doesn’t blast out the food tables, and if people dining nearby want to see and dance to the band, they can walk a few feet over to do so. Also, this stage would appear to be positioned a little farther away from the Laurel Pavilion stage, hopefully resulting in less interference and clashing of sounds between the two performance stages.

In between bands, with smoke from the nearby barbecue vendor snaring me in, I broke down and bought a barbecue chicken dinner, and grubbed at one of the nearby picnic tables. I chatted with several area musicians and a couple from Dubois who had made the roadtrip down the hill on their motorcycles to take in the Festival.

Tom Rhodes chats with an on-duty Frank Ciccarella at the Blair County Arts Festival.

Next up musically was Chris Vipond & the Stanley Street Band, also performing at the Food Court stage. The group opened and closed with covers, doing Bill Withers’ “Use Me” and the Rolling Stones’ “Sympathy for the Devil” respectively. In between those two cover song bookends, Chris and company featured their colorful original song variety, including “Media Controls the World,” “Shine” (which Chris dedicated in memory of his brother, Matt Vipond, who collaborated on the Arts Festival in recent years; he passed away last summer), “Be,” “Pink Parking Ticket” and “Freedom.” Chris on keys and vocals, Phil Wagner on guitar and vocals, Mike Stanley on bass and Jacob Smith on drums turned each song into a freewheeling joyride, following their muse to extend some of the tunes into energetic jam session workouts that entranced the crowd. I heard several onlookers who hadn’t seen this band before remark that they had been converted into believers by this strong display.

Chris Vipond and the Stanley Street Band.

Mike Stanley of Chris Vipond and the Stanley Street Band.

Phil Wagner of Chris Vipond and the Stanley Street Band.

Again, Chris Vipond and the Stanley Street Band.

Chris Vipond.

Once again, Chris Vipond and the Stanley Street Band.

Again, Chris Vipond.

Again, Phil Wagner.

Again, Mike Stanley.

Some youngsters watch as Chris Vipond and the Stanley Street Band perform.

Once again, Chris Vipond.

A succession of photographers try to get pictures of Chris Vipond and the Stanley Street Band.

Toward the end of Chris Vipond and the Stanley Street Band’s set, a banner is held up to salute the late Matt Vipond, who helped behind the scenes of the Blair County Arts Festival in recent years.

At this point, I headed to the Laurel Pavilion stage to watch the finalists for the Arts Festival’s second annual Pop Songwriting Contest, sponsored by Data Music Services. Finalists in both the youth and adult songwriter divisions performed their song entries, and a judging panel comprised of Randy “Jackson” Rutherford, folk singer/songwriter Jay Smar and my former broadcast coworker Adam Erikson would judge the songs and pick winners in both divisions. All the entrants did well in performing their creations; and again, I was glad I didn’t have to pick the winners here. After the dust settled from the judging panel’s deliberations, Jordan Futrick of Tyrone won the youth division with her original song called “Backwards Silence,” and Scott Elkins of Hollidaysburg won the adult division with his song called “Ever After.” Both won a demo recording session at Data Music Services.

One of the youth contestants at the Pop Songwriting Contest, Brittany Boyles of Altoona, performs her song, “Free.”

Eventual youth winner Jordan Futrick of Tyrone performs her winning song composition “Backwards Science.”

Another youth contestant, Ben Unpingco of New Enterprise, performs his song “Me and You.”

Kicking off the adult contestants, James Lee Ayers of Petersburg (on right) with Alan on banjo performs the song “Road to Paradise.” James and Alan are both members of a Huntingdon County-based group called Open Timber.

Eventual adult division winner Scott Elkins of Hollidaysburg presents his song “Ever After.”

Performing his song “Day By Day,” adult contestant Tim Kargo of Portage.

Jim Sherkel of Smithmill musically states his case with a song called “Mindless.”

Paul Shimmel of Rockton performs his ode to an ill-fated past relationship, called “Carousel.”

Closing out the adult division, State College’s Kerri Lee Smith presents her song creation, called “Songbird.”

Contest host and organizer Dave Villani with all of the youth and adult songwriting contestants.

The three judges – Jay Smar, Randy Rutherford and Adam Erikson – offer words of encouragement to the contestants.

I returned to the Food Court stage for the final performance of the day, offered up by Your Dad’s Friends. Guitarist/singer Rick Herbster, bassist/singer Don Bedell, keyboardist/singer Roger Corey and drummer/singer Dave Misera threw a good-time oldies party with their fast-firing performance of hits primarily from the ‘60s. I enjoyed the wide range of material Your Dad’s Friends covered, from Bobby Fuller Four’s “I Fought the Law” to Elvis’ “Little Sister” to Three Dog Night’s “Mama Told Me (Not to Come)” and a lot more. The group several times strung together medleys of hits; one included songs from the Yardbirds, Nashville Teens, Wayne Fontana & the Mindbenders and Standells; and another which closed the set featured early rock’n’roll from Big Bopper, Jerry Lee Lewis, Buddy Knox and more. All four of these musicians can carry a tune, and their harmonies sounded strong. Your Dad’s Friends kept the energy level constant as well, and triggered some dancing – not by the older folks in the crowd, but by little kids whose parents probably hadn’t even been born at the time many of these songs were hits! When the audience called for an encore at set’s end, Your Dad’s Friends capped their performance with the Monkees’ “I’m A Believer,” bringing the first day of the Blair County Arts Festival to a close on a bright note.

Your Dad’s Friends cap the first day’s music at the Blair County Arts Festival.

Some youngsters train-dance to Your Dad’s Friends oldies party.

Youngsters dancing to the oldies!

Rick Herbster of Your Dad’s Friends.

Roger Corey of Your Dad’s Friends.

Dave Misera of Your Dad’s Friends.

Again, Roger Corey.

More dancing with Your Dad’s Friends.

Again, Your Dad’s Friends.

The dance party continues.

Again, Rick Herbster of Your Dad’s Friends.

Once again, Your Dad’s Friends.

More dancing with Your Dad’s Friends.

One more time, dancing fun with Your Dad’s Friends.

THE INSOMNIACS @ ZENO’S, STATE COLLEGE 5/15/10

My quest to seek out and discover new bands landed me in the State College quadrant this night to catch my first look at The Insomniacs, playing at Zeno’s.

It was the Saturday night following Penn State graduation, so Zeno’s was packed to the rafters with celebrating new graduates, graduating bar tour teams, and several celebrating graduate parents as well…the family that tosses a few back together stays together!

About The Insomniacs; this band merges Spider Kelly guitarist Chris Hescox with former Plush singer Brian Bumbarger and drummer Travis Kramer; Dave Skipper plays bass, and Erek Kapusta plays keys and rhythm guitar.

As I arrived at Zeno’s during the second set, The Insomniacs were partying down the jam-packed house, keeping them awake and happy with their fast-firing mixture of rock favorites from the past three decades. The Insomniacs rocked rowdily with tunes from Rage Against the Machine, Foo Fighters, Refreshments, Cars, Better Than Ezra, Clash, Wheatus, Green Day, Superdrag and Harvey Danger. The band was tight and on their game, and Brian was cordial and friendly with the crowd, rallying them along and keeping the mood festive.

The Insomniacs kept the fun going in the third set, as they unleashed favorites from Weezer, Pearl Jam, Foo Fighters, Styx, Violent Femmes, Toto, Soft Cell and more. One big surprise was hearing the group break out the Toadies’ “I Come from the Water”; it had been years since I heard anyone do that one! The Insomniacs kept the music constant and the mood festive; triggering grooving, dancing and sing-alongs through to the end of the night.

The combination of The Insomniacs’ uptempo rocking sounds and the celebratory mood in Happy Valley this night made for a fun time. Clearly these Insomniacs succeeded in keeping Zeno’s awake and rocking for the whole night; catch this band on a stage near you soon!

Erek Kapusta of The Insomniacs.

Chris Hescox and Brian Bumbarger of The Insomniacs.

The Insomniacs party down at Zeno’s.

Chris, Brian and Dave of The Insomniacs.

Travis Kramer of The Insomniacs.

Again, The Insomniacs.

Brian Bumbarger of The Insomniacs.

More Insomniacs.

Chris Hescox of The Insomniacs.

Again, Chris Hescox and Brian Bumbarger of The Insomniacs.

Once again, The Insomniacs.

BLAIR COUNTY ARTS FESTIVAL @ PENN STATE ALTOONA 5/16/10

With the meteorological gods smiling upon the 42nd annual Blair County Arts Festival for a second day in a row, I was back to partake!

Upon my arrival, I headed immediately to the Food Court stage area to catch a musical ride with Mysterytrain. Since I was penning the group’s cover story feature for the June edition of Pennsylvania Musician during the coming week, I needed a little update of where this group’s “rockin’ psychedelic hoedown” was currently headed. As I arrived, the cast of guitarist/singer Dan Klock, keyboardist/singer Gina Riggio, bassist Kevin Share, drummer Chuck Bailey and hand percussionist Jacob Haqq-Misra already had some youngsters dancing in front of the stage; as they performed their update of Spinal Tap’s “All the Way Home.” Mysterytrain geared this performance to their more melodic side, and focused on the more structured songs from their arsenal rather than some of their more expansive and improvisational creations. The group did such numbers as the Gina-fronted “Busted for Nothin,’” “Chateau in the Shade” and others. It all sounded good, and provided an upbeat and friendly start to the afternoon’s music.

Mysterytrain kicks off the second day of the Blair County Arts Festival.

Dan Klock of Mysterytrain.

Jacob Haqq-Misra of Mysterytrain.

Kevin Share of Mysterytrain.

Chuck Bailey of Mysterytrain.

Again, Dan Klock of Mysterytrain.

Again, Jacob Haqq-Misra of Mysterytrain.

Again, Kevin Share of Mysterytrain.

Mysterytrain attracts some young dancers.

More happy dancing with Mysterytrain.

Again, Dan Klock.

Gina Riggio of Mysterytrain.

Again, Jacob of Mysterytrain.

Again, Mysterytrain.

More dancing with Mysterytrain.

One more time, Mysterytrain and young dancers.

I then wandered over to the Misciagna Community Arts Center patio, where acoustic duo Sam & Rach were performing. An improvement had been made at this stage area as well, as bench seating was actually provided for people to sit on. To the duo; Sam played guitar, and both he and Rach sang. Sam & Rach took a number of ‘60s, ‘70s and ‘80s hits and made them their own, performing the songs in their own distinct style. The two took turns singing lead; with Sam fronting on songs like John Mellencamp’s “Jack and Diane” and the Beatles’ “Hey Jude,” and Rach singing on Paul Simon’s “You Can Call Me Al,” Stealer’s Wheel’s “Stuck in the Middle (with You),” the Eagles’ “Heartache Tonight,” the Beatles “I Want to Hold Your Hand,” 4 Non Blondes’ “What’s Up” and more. Late in their performance, the duo drew cheers from the crowd when they announced that they were tying the knot in another two weeks; congratulations!

Rach and Sam of Sam & Rach.

Again, Rach and Sam.

Balloon artist and magic man Dennie Huber serves his young customers a few feet away from the Misciagna stage area.

I then returned to the Food Court stage for my first taste of Celtic-geared sounds this day, courtesy of Full Kilt. A large crowd was already gathered as singer/guitarist Mike Zerbee, bassist/singer Chris Myers, fiddler Mandy Passmore and drummer Pat Boland played an energetic mixture of Irish folk and rock favorites, their own original songs, and Celt-ified rock classics. Full Kilt delivered a number of highlights; including Mike, Chris and Pat teaming up a cappella on “Grace of God,” the group getting their Irish up on Queen’s “Fat Bottomed Girls,” their original song “Plastic Paddies” (addressing traditional Irish artists who frown upon Americans doing Celtic music), and Mandy’s blistering fiddle display on the group’s Irish spin on a Charlie Daniels favorite, “The Devil Went Down to (Dublin).”

Mandy Passmore of Full Kilt.

Full Kilt, getting their Irish up at the Blair County Arts Festival.

Mike Zerbee of Full Kilt takes the party to the kids.

Chris Myers of Full Kilt.

Again, Mandy Passmore of Full Kilt.

Again, Chris Myers of Full Kilt.

Singing a cappella, Pat, Chris and Mike of Full Kilt.

Pat Boland of Full Kilt.

Mike Zerbee of Full Kilt.

I then used a break in the musical action between Food Court performers to return to the Misciagna Arts Center and check out the juried art exhibit. But before I went inside, I took in part of the performance by KANit, the garbage can percussion ensemble based out of Hollidaysburg Area Junior High School. These youngsters showed coordination, choreography and precision with their displays, and clicked like a well-oiled machine as they banged out their percussive exercises.

Hollidaysburg Area Junior High School ensemble KANit.

Once again, KANit.

I then took in the juried art exhibition inside the Arts Center, perusing the various paintings, sketch art, sculptures, mixed media creations, photography and more.

One of the paintings at this year’s juried art exhibit was a depiction of this familiar sight along Route 26 near Hopewell, “Tony & Lola’s.”

Another piece of art at the juried art exhibit depicted our society’s hard times, with a red cross surrounded by current-day news headlines. It’s title: “Trouble.”

If you’re last in line during Dennie Huber’s balloon art extravaganza, you might wear this sign.

Then it was back to the Food Court to witness the latest phoenix-like reunion of Altoona’s U.S. Sound Theatre. Singer and ringleader Jim Pastore, Mike Pastore on bass, Rick Wertz and Ric Criste on guitars, Harold Hayford on keys, Jeff Crownover on drums, and the four-piece brass section of trombonist Brian Rutter, saxman Bob Scholl, and trumpeters Jay Arnold and Don Emery lit up the stage with loud, proud, bold and brassy horn rock favorites of the ‘70s. Much of their performance focused on Chicago classics, as the group did stunning renditions of “Does Anybody Really Know What Time It Is,” “Beginnings,” “Saturday in the Park” and “25 or 6 to 4,” and Brian sang lead along Harold’s keyboard accompaniment on Chicago’s hit ballad “Colour My World.” The group celebrated other brass rock classics as well, doing spirited reads of the Grass Roots’ “Temptation Eyes,” Ides Of March’s “Vehicle,” Steely Dan’s “My Old School,” and Tower Of Power’s “So Very Hard to Go” and “Down to the Nightclub.” It all sounded great, tight and together; even though this group only gets together once or twice a year, their chemistry immediately clicks when they hit the stage! The crowd loved each and every minute of it, and demanded encores at set’s end; unfortunately, to accommodate the next nearby performance, the group had to decline the encore invite this day.

The U.S. Sound Theatre kicks off their performance.

Part of the U.S. Sound Theatre’s horn section.

Rick Wertz of the U.S. Sound Theatre.

Jim Pastore of the U.S. Sound Theatre.

Again, the U.S. Sound Theatre’s brass attack.

Again, Rick Wertz.

Jeff Crownover of the U.S. Sound Theatre.

Again, Jeff Crownover.

Brian Rutter of the U.S. Sound Theatre sings lead on Chicago’s “Colour My World.”

Sax man Bob Scholl of the U.S. Sound Theatre.

Once again, Rick Wertz, singing lead on Wild Cherry’s “Play That Funky Music.”

One more time, the U.S. Sound Theatre.

That next performance the Sound Theatre didn’t want to walk on was up next on the nearby Laurel Pavilion stage, as the Michael O’Brian Band provided more Celtic-geared musical excitement to close out the festival. Mike Zerbee and Brian Anderson performed a playful blend of Irish pub and folk favorites, incorporating their witty humor and banter along the way. These two always get me howling with their antics; my favorite this day was Brian’s shocked response when audience members started ‘woot-woot’-ing during the pair’s rendition of the “Unicorn Song.” This also featured some youngsters joining the pair to act out the various animal characters in the song, which also provided some laughs when the kids improvised on Brian’s and Mike’s leads.

Brian Anderson and Mike Zerbee, the Michael O’Brian Band.

The audience looks on as the Michael O’Brian Band gets their Irish up.

Again, the Michael O’Brian Band and the Arts Festival audience.

Brian Anderson shows some children the moves of the “Unicorn Song.”

More unicorn moves with the Michael O’Brian Band.

A dog ponders the madness of it all.

Due to my regularly-scheduled “Homegrown Rocker” duties this night, I had to depart the Arts Festival midway through the Michael O’Brian Band’s performance. But they delivered a fun ending to this year’s Festival, and thanks to the cooperative weather and quality musical performances, this year’s edition of the Festival will go down as one of the better ones in recent years.

MIA MANIA @ PELLEGRINE’S, ALTOONA 5/16/10

After completing my weekly “Homegrown Rocker” duties, I headed to Pellegrine’s to let Mia Mania slam the lid on my weekend.

Although again not blessed with a packed house, Mia Mania had at least a few bodies in the room to coax onto the dance floor, and they successfully triggered dancing with their crisp and upbeat mixture of dance and rock favorites. Singer Brian Storm, guitarist/singer Chris Lee, bassist/singer Jason Dumm and drummer Justin Betz were cutting loose with dance tunes from Metro Station, Black Eyed Peas, Lady GaGa, Buggles and more as I arrived. A technical snafu prompted the end of the set and intermission.

Mia Mania’s last set of the night was a little more rocking in tone, as the group generated the party with tunes from Bryan Adams, B-52s, Violent Femmes, Harvey Danger, Weezer, Proclaimers, Duran Duran, Nena, Billy Idol, Kings Of Leon, Fuel, Verve Pipe, Rage Against the Machine and more. The group kept the music nonstop, and even continuous as a medley through much of the set, giving the dancers no reason or opportunity to sit back down.

It was the type of energized dance-friendly party we have come to expect from Mia Mania in recent months. Although attendance wasn’t blockbuster, it seems this group is slowly building a fan base in this room, and their consistent and reliable dance-rock party should continue to add to that fan base with subsequent visits.

Jason Dumm of Mia Mania, overshadowed by one of the biggest fans in the house this night.

Brian and Jason of Mia Mania ponder a children’s riding toy that was comandeered to the stage by audience members.

Again, Jason Dumm of Mia Mania.

Mia Mania triggers some dance floor action.

Chris Lee of Mia Mania.

Brian Storm of Mia Mania.

Justin Betz of Mia Mania.

Again, Brian Storm.

Again, Chris Lee of Mia Mania.

http://pamusician.net
 Back to top »
Jim Price

Post Posted: Thursday May 26, 2011 

http://pamusician.net
 Back to top »
ROCKPAGE Forum Index » JP's Corner