· The Final Cut
WEEK/WEEKEND RECAP 5/24/10
ROCKPAGE Forum Index » JP's Corner
previous topic :: next topic  
Jim Price

Post Posted: Wednesday Jun 09, 2010 

WEEK/WEEKEND RECAP 5/24/10

THAT’S WHAT SHE SAID @ PELLEGRINE’S, ALTOONA 5/17/10

It was a rather uneventful night of wings and music this Monday night at Pellegrine’s. The music was presented by That’s What She Said, with a cameo appearance by Eric D as I first arrived. I heard Eric do some folk-geared tunes, including his own takes on Grateful Dead’s “Friend of the Devil” and the Rolling Stones’ “Honky Tonk Woman.”

Adam D and Jess P then alternated singing assignments for the duration of the night on their respective selections of favorites. Since Ronnie James Dio had just passed days before, Adam broke out his own solo tributes to Dio, performing “The Last in Line” and “Man on a Silver Mountain.” Jess sang her usual repertoire of tunes, including John Denver’s “Take Me Home Country Roads,” KT Tunstall’s “Black Horse and the Cherry Tree,” the “Pussycat Song” meow-along and to end the night, her spin on Soul Asylum’s “Runaway Train.”

And Gamber Gone Wild again this night with his fractured take on Looking Glass’ “Brandy.” Lately, the former broadcaster and Jess P have coordinated a little dance routine to go along with the tune, prompting Adam to label the duet the modern-day ‘Captain & Tennille’ – or is that ‘The Captain’s Toenail?’

In the end, another night of thrills, chills, spills and wings at Pellegrine’s, and life was good.

Song and dance moves with Gamber Gone Wild and Jess P.

Gamber and Jess in action.

JAM NIGHT @ PELLEGRINE’S, ALTOONA 5/19/10

This week’s edition of Pellegrine’s Jam Night again featured a number of highlights, a good contingent of musicians in the house to participate, and even an esteemed out-of-town guest.

That out-of-town guest was Harrisburg-based singer, songwriter and guitarist Mycenea Worley. Mycenea was in town to record her interview for the forthcoming Sunday’s edition of the “Homegrown Rocker,” and she joined me at Pellegrine’s afterward to take in some of Jam Night and play a few songs to her first-ever Altoona audience.

As we arrived, Shark Bite was leading things off with their selection of favorites, joined by several guest musicians. Tony Tamburini of Eventide and Priscilla the Tambourine Lady joined the sharkbitten duo of Adam D and Big Jim on Stealer’s Wheel’s “Stuck in the Middle (with You),” and Jam Night frequent flyer Jamie Shumac sang lead on the Eagles’ “Hotel California” and Three Doors Down’s “Kryptonite.”

Eventide was next. Now comprised of Tony on drums and Mark Holland on guitar and vocals, Eventide did several numbers, tapping into some more obscure alternative, garage-rock and rockabilly hybrid territory, and also doing a version of Flaming Lips’ “She Don’t Use Jelly.” Eventide’s performance was graced by Mark’s lively female companion, who improvised her own rhythm instrumentation using Pelly’s plastic pretzel bowls near the stage!

Phil Wagner was in the house this night, and did two songs, the latter a solo version of “Shine” from his current parent band, Chris Vipond & the Stanley Street Band.

The moment I had eagerly awaited was next, as Mycenea Worley made her Altoona live debut. She was immediately at home with the Pellegrine’s audience, and quickly won fans and applause as she mixed some of her original songs and favorites. She opened with Black Crowes’ “She Talks to Angels,” and followed it with one of her own, “100 Days,” from her Love EP. Next was KT Tunstall’s “Black Horse and the Cherry Tree,” my favorite of her original songs, “Low,” and her spin on Janis Joplin’s “Me and Bobby McGee.” Mycenea’s voice was in excellent form, and the applause for her grew with each song. Her informal Altoona debut was a hit with the Pelly’s audience, and more than a few folks looked forward to Mycenea’s possible future return visits to this neck of the woods; one observer said he would definitely seek out her shows whenever business brought him to the Harrisburg neck of the woods. Very cool!

Shark Bite again took the stage, doing CCR’s “Bad Moon Rising” and Emerson Lake & Palmer’s “Lucky Man,” with a cameo “Moog kazoo” blast from yours truly. Then, as Don Osborn took the stage, the jam session portion of the night kicked in, and soon various musicians were platooning on and off the stage to partake. Additional participants in the jam festivities this night included Rich Dash on guitar, Terry Wilt and Steve Brulia on drums, Brian Weston on vocals and cajon, Eric D’s lady friend on backing vocals, and yours truly doing some bongo-ing and cajon-ing along the way.

Needless to say, another fun and action-packed Jam Night!

Tony Tamburini and Mark Holland perform as Eventide.

Again, Eventide.

Making her Altoona debut, Harrisburg’s Mycenea Worley.

Again, Mycenea Worley.

Adam D, Priscilla the Tambourine Lady and Terry Wilt on drums as the jam session portion of the night starts heating up.

Don Osborn, Adam, Priscilla, Jamie Shumac and Big Jim.

The jam festivities continue with Priscilla, Don, Adam, Eric D and Steve Brulia behind the kit.

We be jamming!

Don, along with the hand percussion tandem of yours truly on bongos and Brian Weston on cajon. (photo by Deb Greene)

Again, yours truly and Brian. (photo by Deb Greene)

Don, myself and Brian. (photo by Deb Greene)

BATTLE OF THE ACOUSTICS (PT. 4) @ CITY HOTEL, NORTHERN CAMBRIA 5/20/10

It was the fourth and final preliminary round of City Hotel’s “Battle of the Acoustics.” Eight acoustic entities would state their cases on the two stage areas, and two would advance to the following week’s final round for a possible date with destiny and a cash prize. A huge crowd was already in the house as things got started this week, evidence that this event’s popularity was growing by leaps and bounds!

This week’s slate of contestants presented one of the more diverse ranges of music thus far in the preliminary rounds, evidenced from the get-go by the night’s first performers, Tree. The husband-and-wife duo of Matt Harnett on guitar and vocals and Jen Harnett on violin – marking their 15th anniversary this night – did a selection of Celtic and folk numbers in their upbeat, energetic style. Some of their selection included renditions of Flogging Molly’s “Drunken Lullabies,” along with traditional favorites “Wagon Wheel” and “Rocky Top.” Matt and Jen were precise and on their respective games, tightly firing on their instruments.

Jen and Matt Harnett of Tree.

Again, Jen and Matt.

Jen was using a local product on the stage this night, a violin constructed by Indiana-based violin maker Robert Gordon III. I had met Robert during the course of the first few rounds of “Battle of the Acoustics,” and it was cool to see Robert in the house this night, watching one of his creations being put to use. Kudos to Robert’s wife, Sally, who did a caricature sketch of me on a napkin…cool!

Immortalized on a napkin!

Meal-wise, I went for broke this night and did the steak dinner. Wow, what a slab of meat! I had to multi-task between eating bites of steak and fries, taking notes, venturing between both stages to emcee and photograph the performers…But eventually, I did complete the meal. It’s the crazy life I lead…

Some drama ensued early on, as the next scheduled contestant, Aaron Puglia, had not yet arrived (he was traveling in from out of town). After some quick deliberations, Huge Midgets agreed to set up their gear on the front stage and perform next. Some technical issues with monitor speakers delayed their set (and one annoying drunk who loudly complained about the delay and hounded sound techs, musicians and the battle emcee almost got gang bitch-slapped out the door by all of the aforementioned). Once the problems were resolved, Huge Midgets – Angelo Pompa, Bob Gray and Josh Yahner – made the best of the situation and performed select classics by Alice In Chains, Allman Brothers, Eagles and more.

Angelo Pompa, Bob Gray and Josh Yahner perform as Huge Midgets.

Performing in front of the big City Hotel audience, Huge Midgets.

Better late than never, Aaron Puglia (pronounced ‘PULL-ya’) next set up and performed on the rear stage. Aaron did an interesting mixture of classic rock and pop favorites, pulling out versions of Led Zeppelin’s “Rock and Roll,” Jim Croce’s “You Don’t Mess Around with Jim,” Aerosmith’s “Pink” and an original song, “Bring Your Loving.” Aaron displayed a strong, clear voice and was sturdy on his guitar; and he represented well, hopefully winning some new fans with his efforts.

Aaron Puglia.

Next was a pair of young performers, Alex Ramsdell and Nate Burkhart. Students at Cambria Heights High School in Patton and members of the school’s rock band Synergy, Alex and Nate performed a selection of favorites and original compositions, with an extra surprise along the way. After opening with versions of Hootie & the Blowfish’s “I Only Want to Be With You” and Matchbox 20’s “3 AM,” Alex positioned his microphone and guitar and did an instrumental called “Drift,” demonstrating his own brand of percussive guitar playing (similar to Hollidaysburg’s Rich “Allheart” Edmundson, for recent “JP’s Corner” readers). Alex nailed it, earning a loud round of applause from the full house. The pair continued with several more numbers, closing with a version of Billy Joel’s “You May Be Right.”

Alex Ramsdell displays his percussive acoustic technique.

Nate Burkhart and Alex Ramsdell.

Another performer I anticipated seeing was Jim Zemlock, who was up next on the front page. Jim paints outside the lines and does music differently; what would he have in store this night? As it turns out, Jim did a number of original numbers, along with one cover I recognized, John Lennon’s “Nobody Told Me,” done in his own distinct style. I didn’t know the titles to Jim’s other selections, but one song in particular with “Repent” in the chorus held my attention (Jim, if you have this one recorded, I want to play it on the “Homegrown Rocker!”).

Jim Zemlock.

Half of Nitekast would state their case on the rear stage next. Singer Lily Taylor and guitarist Brandon Scalese did an interesting selection of pop-geared favorites not usually performed during their full-band electric sets; including Gwen Stefani’s “Underneath It All” and Boys Like Girls’ “Two Is Better Than One.” Lily’s clear, smooth and high-ranging voice was in the spotlight for much of the set, with Brandon spotting her a break to sing Green Day’s “Good Riddance.” Acoustic Nitekast drew increasing cheers from the audience as they progressed, and they represented very well.

Lily Taylor and Brandon Scalese of Nitekast.

Again, Lily and Brandon.

Once again, Lily Taylor of Nitekast.

Next on the front stage was another contingent from Cambria Heights High School, Titra (pronounced “TIGHT-ra”). Featuring Damian Falatek on bass and vocals, Shawn Hollen on acoustic guitar and Matt Albright on drums, Titra played a mixture of jam-flavored, funk and rock sounds, doing original songs and select covers. Their cover selection included renditions of Pearl Jam’s “Jeremy,” Jimi Hendrix’s “Manic Depression” and their set-ending version of Rusted Root’s “Send Me on My Way.” Although the sound mix wasn’t well-balanced and unclear in spots, Titra’s instrumental chops were good, and their no-holds-barred approach to music made for an interesting display. Along with the earlier performance by Alex Ramsdell and Nate Burkhart, I was getting an impressive crash course on the cool musical happenings emanating from Cambria Heights High School!

Young trio Titra states their case during “Battle of the Acoustics.”

One more duo closed out this night’s battle on the rear stage, Luke Schiff and Kim McCarty. Luke played guitar, and Kim sang, demonstrating another potent and rangeful set of pipes! These two blended a variety of favorites, spanning rock, country and ballads. Their song repertoire this night included CCR’s “Have You Ever Seen the Rain,” John Mellencamp’s “Hurts So Good,” Melissa Etheridge’s “I’m Not the Only One,” Sugarland’s “Why Don’t You Stay” and Luke’s lone singing display on Johnny Cash’s “Folsom Prison Blues.” Luke and Kim stated their case strongly on the stage, providing a good cap to the night’s performance slate.

Luke Schiff and Kim McCarty.

Again, Luke and Kim.

At this point, the ballots were collected and audience votes were again counted. This night’s tale of the tape sent Tree and Alex & Nate to the finals the following week. The field was now set: Rob & Scott, 6-String Redemption, Acoustic Stew, Ken Gray, Matt & Joe, 2nd Street, Tree and Alex & Nate would return to the City Hotel in one week to state their cases on the stages once again, and one of these performing entities would be $600 richer at the end of it all. To be continued…

EVENTIDE @ PELLEGRINE’S, ALTOONA 5/21/10

After pondering several options on the Friday night area live music slate, I decided to stick close to home, and explore Eventide’s musical world a little more in depth at Pellegrine’s.

Unfortunately, it turned out I was only one of a handful of people to decide on this option, as singer/guitarist Mark Holland and drummer Tony Tamburini were playing mostly to crickets (well, not really, I don’t think there were insect life forms in Pelly’s band room this night) and Mark’s lady friend (the one who played the pretzel bowls during Jam Night two nights earlier) as I arrived. As a result, I only got to hear four songs to end Eventide’s performance, before they and Pelly’s mutually agreed to call it a night early.

As they did during Jam Night two nights earlier, Eventide mixed popular and obscure material for the four songs I witnessed; I recognized Collective Soul’s “Why Pt. 2” and Fountains Of Wayne’s “Sink to the Bottom” as two of the songs.

What I heard sounded good…Too bad there weren’t enough people in attendance to enable Eventide to perform later this night. Hopefully I’ll get to hear more from them down the road.

Eventide.

Tony Tamburini of Eventide.

Mark Holland of Eventide.

SHOT IN THE DARK @ 30 SOMETHING, ALTOONA 5/21/10

After departing Pellegrine’s, I headed to 30 Something, where a band called Shot In The Dark was advertised. The first thing that came to my mind when I noticed this name was that perhaps this was an Ozzy Osbourne tribute. But Tony from Eventide informed me earlier that such was not the case, and that this group actually did a mix of country and rock. Okay, so it wasn't an Ozzy tribute...I decided to investigate anyway.

I’m glad I did. This four-piece, co-ed, mixed-ages group from the Moshannon/Beech Creek area was good at what they did. And they did a lot, as far as range of material. As singer A.J., guitarist/singer Chris Schenck, bassist/singer John Hagyard and drummer Brandon McCloskey opened their third set with an old-school country-flavored original and Little Big Town’s “Proud of Where I Came From,” I figured I was in for a country music ride for the duration. But the group then broke out Kid Rock’s “All Summer Long,” and then followed it with a Chris-fronted take on Bloodhound Gang’s “Bad Touch.” Wow, what a stylistic shift!

Shot In The Dark continued to venture back and forth between the rock and country spectrums. They rocked the mid-sized 30 Something crowd with the Chris-fronted Metallica spin on “Whiskey in the Jar,” Joan Jett’s “I Love Rock & Roll,” ZZ Top’s “Tush,” Finger Eleven’s “Paralyzer,” Judas Priest’s “Breakin’ the Law,” and drummer Brandon singing lead on Robert Palmer’s “Bad Case of Loving You.” They returned to country once or twice more; I didn’t recognize this side of their repertoire, except for a version of David Allan Coe’s “You Don’t Even Call Me By My Name.”

The clincher was that Shot In The Dark did this entire range of material quite well. They sounded reasonably sharp on all of it, and showed enthusiasm on all of the songs. Versatility is never a bad thing in a band, and this group showed me they had a broad enough repertoire to satisfy a wide variety of musical tastes, depending on the make-up of a crowd at a given venue on a given night.

It worked this night, as the 30 Something audience stuck around until the end. You won’t hear this Shot In the Dark at Ozzfest any time soon, but with their wide musical expanse, you might see them in a variety of other live music settings throughout the region.

Shot In The Dark, mixing rock and country at 30 Something.

Chris Schenck of Shot In The Dark.

A.J. of Shot In The Dark.

Again, Shot In The Dark.

Shot In The Dark triggers some dance floor activity at 30 Something.

Brandon McCloskey of Shot In The Dark.

John Hagyard of Shot In The Dark; very solid and versatile bass player!

One more time, Shot In The Dark.

SHALLOW9/MAEQUEEN @ 30 SOMETHING, ALTOONA 5/22/10

I had been hoping to catch Shallow9 again for several months, and found out that their latest appearance at 30 Something would be coiciding with my Rocky 104.9 cohort Jay Randyll’s birthday. So I returned to 30 Something this night to celebrate both!

A good-sized crowd was already in place as I arrived, and as it turned out, a guest band as well. Making their onstage debut this night, Maequeen warmed up the crowd with their mixture of punk-infused modern and classic rock favorites. Maequeen marks the return to action of former Rise Phoenix Rise singer/guitarist Jarrod Spinazzola, flanked by Dan McNulty on bass and Mike Greenwood on drums. Maequeen did solid energetic reads of tunes from Gin Blossoms, Harvey Danger, Jimmy Eat World, Pink Floyd and Bryan Adams; and also broke out a Green Day medley and a rocked-up version of Rihanna’s “My Umbrella.” The group was poised and confident, and their official stage launch was a successful one that got some folks up and dancing.

Maequeen makes their debut.

Jarrod Spinazzola of Maequeen.

Dan McNulty of Maequeen.

Mike Greenwood of Maequeen.

Shallow9 then picked up the ball and ran with it, rocking the house with two strong and confident sets. Front and center was Erika Marino with her powerful voice, handling a wide range of material from female rock and pop songs from No Doubt, Pat Benatar, Cranberries and Alanis Morisette to male-fronted rockers from Black Crowes, Foo Fighters, Audioslave, Nickelback, Theory Of A Deadman, Seether and more.

Instrumentally, Shallow9 was tight and on the money the whole night. Drummer Zac Grace and bass man Mitch Neuder executed like a precision machine, and Kenton’s guitar work was sharp and accurate. These guys were totally in synch and clicked on all cylinders.

Highlights during the group’s two sets included a crunchy update of Firehouse’s “Don’t Treat Me Bad,” and Kenton Sitch’s nails-on guitar solo during Michael Jackson’s “Beat It.” As Erika’s voice started straining some late in the show, Jarrod from Maequeen spotted her some relief and dueted with her on Lady GaGa’s “Poker Face.”

Shallow9 kept the dance floor busy the rest of the night, and kept the folks happy and cheering.

Bottom line, a good double-bill that showcased two rising band names on the area music scene; both Shallow9 and Maequeen appear poised to become frequent flyers on stages throughout the region in short order, based on their displays this night.

Erika Marino of Shallow9.

Again, Erika Marino.

Mitch Neuder of Shallow9.

Once again, Erika Marino of Shallow9.

Jarrod Spinazzola of Maequeen joins Shallow9 onstage.

Jarrod and Erika switch off vocals.

Once again, Erika Marino.

Zac Grace of Shallow9.

Shallow9 gets them dancing at 30 Something.

Kenton Sitch of Shallow9.
Once again, Shallow9.

Again, Zac Grace of Shallow 9. Cool shirt, Zac!

One more time, Zac Grace.

FELIX & THE HURRICANES @ SHAW’S BAR, ALTOONA 5/23/10

I was overdue to enjoy some Sunday Hurricaning, so I was off to Shaw’s after my weekly “Homegrown Rocker” duties to enjoy a few cold ones to the music of Felix and the boys.

And girls…As I stepped inside Shaw’s, I heard a female voice emanating from the stage area, tearing it up on “Me and Bobby McGee.” It was a voice I hadn’t heard in quite a while, Dubois songbird Jen Bertieux. Jen continued to front Felix, Bob and Sunday night bassman Pat McGinnis on a rendition of Bob Dylan’s “Meet Me in the Morning,” and provided a lively display as she sang, played harmonica and danced around the microphone and out into the seated audience. It was cool to witness her happy-go-lucky energy!

The Hurricanes continued with their abundant display of stellar chops, rocking with the original “The Lonely One” before launching into an audience request for the Allman Brothers’ “Whipping Post.” This song continued into a funky interlude where Felix went to town with some fiery slide guitar work; before coming out on the other side to kick into another Allmans request, “Soulshine.” After Pat fronted the group on a number, the Hurricanes honored yet another audience request, this time for their own tune “Issues.” Pat led the group on a version of “Wagon Wheel,” before one last request for the Grateful Dead’s “Alabama Getaway” finished off the night.

The Hurricanes’ stellar musicianship and fun improvisations again won the night, and Jen Bertieux’s bright cameo appearance was the icing on the cake. Another Hurricaning good time!

Guest Jen Bertieux fronts Felix & the Hurricanes.

http://pamusician.net
 Back to top »
Jim Price

Post Posted: Thursday May 26, 2011 

http://pamusician.net
 Back to top »
ROCKPAGE Forum Index » JP's Corner
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: