· The Final Cut
WEEK/WEEKEND RECAP 6/14/10
ROCKPAGE Forum Index » JP's Corner
previous topic :: next topic  
Jim Price

Post Posted: Tuesday Jun 29, 2010 

WEEK/WEEKEND RECAP 6/14/10

JESS P @ PELLEGRINE’S, ALTOONA 6/7/10

Perhaps due to the huge turnout at Pellegrine’s the previous day for “Benefit for Eugene,” only a handful of folks showed up this night for Monday night wings and That’s What She Said. So Adam D didn’t set up gear to perform, and in the end, it was just “She Said,” as Jess P played her acoustic guitar unplugged and unamped and serenaded some folks at the main bar. There were no real musical revelations during this performance; one patron stepped up to sing with Jess on CCR’s “Have You Ever Seen the Rain.”

Overall, a bit lower key than usual. But the wings were still good…

JAM NIGHT @ PELLEGRINE’S, ALTOONA 6/9/10

Another Wednesday Jam Night at Pellegrine’s produced some new participants and more happy jams.

G211 provided two of the new participants, as guitarist/singer Dale Hart and bassist Barry Hamilton did the roadtrip from Centre County to perform for the Jam Night crowd. I arrived during their mini-set, and got to witness them perform Green Day’s “American Idiot” and a few other tunes.

G211 makes their Pellegrine’s Jam Night debut.

We hadn’t seen Rich “Allheart” Edmundson during the past few weeks, but he was in attendance this night and took the stage next. Allheart was playing in spite of recovering from a back injury incurred during a fall from a balcony. This didn’t stop him from doing some of his original songs such as “Bar Stool,” his guitar-tapping instrumental “Percussive Guitar,” and his spins on “Somewhere Over the Rainbow” and “Wild Thing.”

Cove-based folk and bluegrassers The Up Downs then performed a short set, which included such highlights as the Felice Brothers’ “Frankie’s Gun,” “Wagon Wheel” and more.

Making another appearance during Pellegrine’s Wednesday Jam Night, the Up Downs.

Another long-distance attendee was Mark Sopic of Clearfield County’s Harmonious Funk, who next did a short set with Terry Wilt sitting in on drums. Mark sang a John Prine number, the Beatles’ “Rocky Raccoon,” the “Organ Donor Song” and more. As he did during his first visit to Jam Night, Mark again demonstrated a clear, high-ranging voice…nice!

Again demonstrating his excellent voice during Pellegrine’s Jam Night, Mark Sopic.

Jam Night frequent flyer Eric D then stepped up to perform, and the jam sessions developed from here. Highlights included Shallow9 frontlady Erika Marino displaying her powerful pipes on Janis’ “Me and Bobby McGee,” Pat Benatar’s “Hit Me with Your Best Shot” and 4 Non Blondes’ “What’s Up”; and another female singer named Amanda who stepped up later in the night to do her own excellent spin on “Me and Bobby McGee.” Other jam participants this night included Tony Tamburini and Evan Rutherford on drums; Big Jim, Johnny Blaze and Bloody Fingers on guitars, and a bongo- and kazoo-playing Professor…

In all, another fun Jam Night with a lot of musicians and musical variety.

Shallow9’s Erika Marino sings alongside Big Jim during Pellegrine’s Jam Night.

Once again, Erika Marino fronts another Pellegrine’s jam session.

FLIGHT 19 ON THE DIAMOND, HOLLIDAYSBURG 6/10/10

When I spoke with him during the aforementioned Pellegrine’s Jam Night, Rich “Allheart” Edmundson told me that downtown Hollidaysburg would be the place to be on this Thursday night, as the town’s first “Downtown Live” concert of the summer season was taking place, and several of the town’s eateries and watering holes were featuring specials and entertainment as well. Allheart told me it would be like a big street party zone. This sounded appealing to me, and worth checking out.

Of course, another big reason to do the short journey out Hollidaysburg way was the entertainment for this first “Downtown Live” concert, Flight 19, who I hadn’t seen in several months. I arrived at The Diamond in downtown Hollidaysburg to find – as Rich had forecasted – a big street party zone surrounding the stage area. Lots of people were out in the street, kicking back cold ones, enjoying food and friends, and taking in the music.

A few minutes after my arrival, the Flight 19 “Party Plane” crew of singer Brian Thomas, guitarist/singer John McKelvey, bassist/singer Mark Triforo, keyboardist/singer Phil Steele and drummer Darin Hand returned to the stage for their final set. The group quickly triggered dancing in the street with their mixture of modern, classic rock and original tunes; performing numbers from Lit, Nickelback, The Clash, Jimmy Eat World, Three Days Grace and more. This band executed like a tightly-tuned machine, and kept the musical action constant from start to end. For their set finale, Brian coaxed “Hell, Yeah!” shouts from the crowd during Flight 19’s original song favorite “Hands.” But Hollidaysburg wasn’t done partying down yet, and quickly demanded more. Flight 19 answered the encore demands with their spin on George Michael’s “Faith.”

I only got to see part of the show, but Flight 19 was in good form and brought the party, and they can now say that they literally had people dancing in the streets!

Bringing the party to downtown Hollidaysburg, Flight 19.

Again, Flight 19.

Brian Thomas of Flight 19 holds the microphone out to a lady who wants to sing.

Brian Thomas of Flight 19.

Once again, Flight 19.

John McKelvey of Flight 19.

PAT McGINNIS @ SHAW’S BAR, ALTOONA 6/10/10

After leaving Hollidaysburg, I pondered between two live music options happening in the ‘Toona this night; checking back in with The Hurricanes and Dave Villani during their new Thursday night venture at Pellegrine’s, or heading to the Juniata part of the world to see the Hurricanes’ Sunday night bass man, Pat McGinnis, during his bi-weekly Thursday solo acoustic show at Shaw’s Bar. Since I hadn’t seen Pat’s solo gig in a while, I opted for the Juniata option.

And I’m glad I did; this turned into a fun night in ways I wasn’t expecting! I found a strategic bar stool location near where Pat was performing, and soon got to chatting with several of Shaw’s regulars…Stephanie, a couple named Mark and Beth, and an old high-school classmate, Tom, who I hadn’t talked with in a few years. We all were having a good time enjoying Pat’s music and conversation. But then Mark and Beth did something that made me a friend for life…Beth had ordered a plate of Shaw’s wings, but hardly touched them. After a while, Mark soon said the magic words to me…”Help yourself to some wings!” You didn’t have to ask me twice! I had been curious about trying Shaw’s wings anyway, and sure enough, Shaw’s wings are good eating! Thanks Mark and Beth for the hospitality!

On to Pat McGinnis and his performance…Pat demonstrated a hearty singing voice and cordial presentation as he once again satisfied with a diverse selection of classic rock, folk, blues and Americana sounds. I always like the song surprises Pat pulls out on any given night; some of the curios Pat performed this night included Guy Clark’s “Homegrown Tomatoes,” Bob Dylan’s “Easy Chair,” Delbert McClinton’s “Two More Bottles of Wine” and Lucinda Williams’ “Drunken Angel.” Pat also played original songs such as “Shades of Gray” and a song he wrote about former State College songbird Dawn Kinnard (I didn’t catch the title). Pat also did favorites from the Eagles, Hank Williams, Jimmy Buffett, Grateful Dead, Tom Petty, Rolling Stones and more. Guest Colton Fouse from The Hawks joined Pat on guitar on renditions of the Doors’ “Love Me Two Times,” Jerry Jeff Walker’s “Up Against the Wall, Redneck Mothers” and more. Another highlight was during the Fabulous Thunderbirds’ “She’s Tuff,” when a Shaw’s staffer provided her own hearty laugh at the end of each chorus – great!

It all added up to a fun night in Juniata, fun enough that I will have to catch Pat McGinnis’ Shaw’s visits more frequently.

Pat McGinnis, entertaining at Shaw’s.

RANDY JACKSON JAZZ QUARTET @ HERITAGE PLAZA, ALTOONA 6/11/10

What has become a live music highglight in Altoona during summer season was returning this night…Live jazz was back at downtown Altoona’s Heritage Plaza with the kickoff of the annual Hippo-Fleming 2010 Concert Series. With The Randy Jackson Jazz Quartet as the scheduled series openers, I was there!

As expected, a huge crowd was already in the Plaza as I arrived, set up my chair near the soundboard and did my penance of standing in line to get my beer-drinking bracelet. After procuring said bracelet, brew and a roast beef sandwich from the Mike’s Court food stand for my taste buds to savor, I returned to my seat so my ears could savor some jazz.

Group namesake Randy “Jackson” Rutherford on guitar, bass and vocals; Bob Scholl on sax and bass, Dave Villani on keys and Randy Servello on drums performed a tasty mixture of traditional and modern jazz. All four musicians were each on top of their respective games, displaying abundant solo talents and blending their skills into exemplary displays throughout the evening. They were into a Miles Davis number as I first arrived, and soon took things in a funkier direction with Average White Band’s “Pick Up the Pieces.” The group did wide-ranging jazz numbers during this set, including Duke Ellington’s “Take the A Train,” Horace Silver’s “Song for My Father,” David Sanborn’s “Chicago Song” and more.

Again, the musicianship was great; Randy “Jackson” would often venture between guitar and bass, doing excellent solo work on both. Bob Scholl was stellar on sax, and would take over bass duties whenever Randy switched to guitar. Dave’s key work was busy and smooth, and new man Randy behind the drum kit kept a steady rhythm and showed he was comfortable in a jazz setting as well.

After a brief intermission, The Randy Jackson Jazz Quartet returned for more, kicking off with Weather Report’s “Birdland.” This set found the group venturing into blues briefly, and also performing numbers such as Herbie Hancock’s “Watermelon Man,” another David Sanborn number and more. Again, these musicians were fluent on it all, again flexing their individual chops while blending their talents into a cohesive, flowing whole sound.

The group’s final set started with a pleasant surprise, as Shallow9 singer Erika Marino stepped up to sing lead on Norah Jones’ “Turn Me On.” The group did several more selections, including a fine read of Santana’s “Europa.”

It was a successful kickoff to the downtown jazz concert series, as lots of people took advantage of the warm weather to enjoy the music and festivities. For me, it was an opportunity not only to witness some excellent musicianship, but widen my limited jazz lexicon as well; I learned the identities of a few more jazz numbers I had heard before but whose titles or creators I didn’t know.

If you missed it, kick yourself, but not too hard…The Randy Jackson Jazz Quartet returns to close out the concert series Aug. 27, so you have another chance to experience this group of musicians in this setting.

The Randy Jackson Jazz Quartet.

Dave Villani of the Randy Jackson Jazz Quartet.

Randy Servello of the Randy Jackson Jazz Quartet.

Randy “Jackson” Rutherford of the Randy Jackson Jazz Quartet.

Bob Scholl of the Randy Jackson Jazz Quartet.

On the bass, Randy Jackson.

Working that bottom end, Randy Jackson.

Again, Randy Servello.

Again, Dave Villani.

Once again, Bob Scholl.

A good-sized audience takes in the Randy Jackson Jazz Quartet.

Erika Marino steps up to sing with the Randy Jackson Jazz Quartet.

Erika Marino and Bob Scholl.

Randy Jackson, Erika Marino and Bob Scholl.

PAPERTHIN ALIBI/CRISIS HOLLYWOOD/PROMISING ATTEMPT @ ALDO’S, ALTOONA 6/11/10

Following the downtown jazz concert, I had to take care of some broadcast employer duties, before continuing on with the remainder of my Friday live music adventure. I decided to catch a new band name in town this night, as a group called Crisis In Hollywood was listed on the marquee at Aldo’s. It was again time to explore the unknown…

Unfortunately, as I arrived at Aldo’s, I discovered that I was one of very few to explore the unknown. But I did discover upon arriving that there was not just one band, but three on the bill. I already missed the first, Philadelphia’s Paper Thin Alibi.

The band on the marquee, Crisis In Hollywood, was already on stage and finishing up their set. I got to see all of two songs from this Florida-based foursome. Lead singer/guitarist Adrian Snyder, guitarist Daniel Valery, bassist Will Brotz and drummer Andy Wambach sounded sharp and crisp on the two songs, demonstrating a driving power-pop/rock sound. It quickly crossed my mind that this band would probably be a better fit at one of the Emergency Scene all-agers at the Eldolyn Terrace; certainly they would have more crowd to see them than what showed up here this night.

Crisis In Hollywood.

Adrian Snyder of Crisis In Hollywood.

One more band followed. From near Philadelphia, Collegeville-based foursome Promising Attempt closed out the show with a set of high-velocity, punk-driven rock. Featuring lead howler/guitarist Terrell Atrophy, guitarist Joe Janton, bassist Charley Birkhead and drummer Tim Balch; Promising Attempt drilled fast-paced original songs, along with an amped-up Weezer remake. I didn’t catch any song titles, but thought this group was solid in their delivery, and their blend of melody, velocity and jagged edge was probably a better fit for Aldo’s than the band that preceded them. Maybe we’ll see these guys return sometime down the road.

Based near Philadelphia, Promising Attempt.

Charley Birkhead of Promising Attempt.

Terrell Atrophy of Promising Attempt.

Joe Janton of Promising Attempt.

Alas, if only one Professor, owner Aldo, Rich the bartender and members of the bands were essentially the only audience in the house, did a show actually happen? (Kind of like the old question about a tree making a sound when it falls in the woods if there isn’t anyone around to hear it.) I saw it and wrote about it, so I guess it did happen…

MYSTERYTRAIN’S SUNRIZE FEST @ SINKING VALLEY FAIRGROUNDS, SKELP 6/12/10

As documented previously, I had wanted to attend Mysterytrain’s “Depot Fest” at the PPG Pavilion in Tipton the weekend before, but too many other things got in the way and prevented it. So Mysterytrain became the focus of my live music adventures this Saturday, as I set off to attend their “Sunrize Fest,” taking place at the Sinking Valley Fairgrounds in Skelp (north and over the mountain from Altoona).

I actually spent most of my single-digit age years growing up not too far from this location, near the Sickle’s Corner section of Sinking Valley. I had never been to the Sinking Valley Fairgrounds before until now. This was a nice setting for a music event like this; pastoral, rural, relaxed and away from civilization. As such, this event provided not only a nice setting for music, but also a nice release from the daily grind and the troubles of the day. A setting like this enabled me and the other attendees of Sunrize Fest to enjoy music and forget about oil spills, political bickering, wars and other stressful crap for little while. It was very welcome!

I arrived in time to see part of the set by Huntingdon-based solo performer Nick Miller, performing at the stage area at the entrance to one of the livestock barns. Armed with guitars, percussion instruments and loop pedals, Nick displayed his talent of building looping, layering walls of sound to provide backdrops as he sang and played guitar on original songs and select covers. Nick showed some improvisation on the number he was doing as I arrived. He then used a bow on his guitar strings during a rendition of the Rolling Stones’ “Sympathy for the Devil,” before closing out his performance with another looping display to back himself on Albert King/Cream’s “Born Under a Bad Sign.”

Huntingdon’s Nick Miller performs at Sunrize Fest.

Nick Miller, under the Sam E. Hayes Jr. pavilion.

A canine observer takes a break during Nick Miller’s performance.

Once again, Nick Miller.

During the intermission, I relaxed and took in the surroundings, and watched as people kicked back and relaxed, and some walked around the grounds and took in the rural setting. As I ate a Sheetz sub I brought along in my beverage cooler, Steam City Riders set up and took the stage to do their unique didgeridoo-accented folk and rock. Didj player/singer Colin Lennox and acoustic guitarist/singer Jon Wittmer played a diverse set of material, spanning original tunes like “Gatorade and Granola” to the Grateful Dead’s “Mr. Charlie,” Phish’s “You Enjoy Myself,” “I Know You Rider” and more.

The Steam City Riders.

Playing his didgeridoo, Colin Lennox of the Steam City Riders.

Jon Wittmer of the Steam City Riders.

Again, Jon Wittmer.

Again, the Steam City Riders.

One more time, the Steam City Riders.

Enjoying the peace, tranquility and a beer, yours truly.

I observed that besides people, there were a number of dogs enjoying the event as well, and several canine types were wandering around the grounds, running with and wrasslin’ with one another. People and dogs were having fun, all was good!

The host band, Mysterytrain, set up shop and embarked on a two-set episode of their “rocking psychedelic hoedown.” Both sets mixed structured melodies and more improvisational adventures. I didn’t recognize all of Mysterytrain’s original song selections this night; but some of the numbers performed included the Gina Riggio-fronted “Busted for Nothing” and “What Would It Take,” “Firedancing Maiden,” the group’s folksy send-up of Spinal Tap’s “All the Way Home,” and “Chateau in the Shade.”

As is always the case with this band, dazzling musicianship was constantly in the spotlight, including Jacob Haqq-Misra’s varied percussion mixes and vibraphone solos, percussion duels between Jacob and drummer Chuck Bailey, Gina’s colorful and playful keyboard solos and more. It was again cool to witness the unique chemistry of this band in action, as they wove together their diverse musical stews and never stayed in one place for too long.

Several fans await Mysterytrain’s performance.

Gina Riggio of Mysterytrain.

Again, Gina Riggio.

Gina Riggio and Dan Klock of Mysterytrain.

Mysterytrain performs during their own Sunrize Fest.

Again, Mysterytrain.

Kevin Share of Mysterytrain. Kevin served as the emcee of Sunrize Fest.

Dan Klock of Mysterytrain.

A dog plays near the stage area during Mysterytrain’s performance.

Once again, Gina Riggio of Mysterytrain.

Playing under an FFA pavilion, Mysterytrain.

Mysterytrain, playing out toward some of the fans and campers at Sunrize Fest.

Chuck Bailey of Mysterytrain.

Once again, Mysterytrain.

As the sun sets, a couple of ladies dance to Mysterytrain’s music.

Again, some dancers and Mysterytrain.

Dan Klock and Kevin Share of Mysterytrain, with a canine observer taking in the action onstage.

Engaging in a percussion display, Chuck Bailey and Jacob Haqq-Misra of Mysterytrain.

Several fans get their groove on to Mysterytrain.

Caught just a split second after he turned away from playing the vibraphone, Jacob Haqq-Misra of Mysterytrain.

More Mysterytrain.

Yet again, Mysterytrain.

Again, Dan Klock of Mysterytrain.

One more time, Gina Riggio of Mysterytrain.

Per their agreement with this venue, Mysterytrain wrapped up their performance around 11 PM, and the festivities retreated to the bonfire area. It provided more relaxing fun, as I brought my bongos and engaged in some attempted drum circle action with two djembes. Nick Miller, Gina Riggio, Dan Klock and others also picked up and strummed guitars at various points, and food-wise, moon pies and sausage sandwiches were served up til the wee hours of the morning.

The combination of music, friends, cordial vibe and natural surroundings successfully soothed nerves and carried the audience away from the troubles of the real world for a little while. There’s real value in that. I was glad I made it to Mysterytrain’s Sunrize Fest, and appreciate this band for setting up events like this. And in all likelihood, I will be back for more Mysterytrain festival action before this summer season is done!

FELIX & THE HURRICANES @ SHAW’S BAR, ALTOONA 6/13/10

Since I bypassed them on Thursday night, I decided some Sunday Hurricaning at Shaw’s Bar was again appropriate to close out another weekend.

I stepped in the door just as the group was closing out a set with Steve Miller Band’s “The Joker.” I procured my first Genny from Erika the barkeep and sat down with some friends to await the Hurricanes’ next set.

Guest singer Preston Lance belted out voice with the ‘Canes in their set-opening rendition of the Doors’ “Love Me Two Times,” as he went all-out Morrison for a strong display. Hurricanes Felix, Bob and Pat continued with the Stray Cats’ “Rock This Town,” before slowing things down for an excellent read of the Allman Brothers’ “Soulshine.” Bob then growled out the intro to ZZ Top’s ever-popular “La Grange,” before the Hurricanes returned to their own song catalog for “The Lonely One.” Pat then fronted the group on a song I didn’t readily recognize, before the Hurricanes returned to the Allman Brothers for “Sweet Melissa,” two country-flavored tunes and the Grateful Dead’s “Alabana Getaway” to end the set.

During the ensuing intermission, Hurricanes “Hall of Famer” Phil Kolarczyk arrived in the house, and Felix and Bob put him to work in the nightcap set playing bass. This gave the Hurricanes an opportunity to go old school and break out some classics I hadn’t heard them do in a while. The first of these was Fleetwood Mac’s “Oh Well,” before the group jumped into the ZZ Top back catalog for “Balinese” and “Heard It on the X.” The group stayed Southern, doing Molly Hatchet’s “Flirtin’ with Disaster,” Lynyrd Skynyrd’s “Tuesday’s Gone” and “Don’t Ask Me No Questions,” before finishing the night with Bob Seger’s “Turn the Page.”

It all sounded great as usual, and the Hurricanes again demonstrated their knack of smoothly adapting their set list to fit the audience and other musicians in the room. Again, the Hurricanes successfully sent another of my weekends into the books.

The Hurricanes with guest singer Preston Lance (on right).

The Hurricanes with Phil Kolarczyk on bass.

http://pamusician.net
 Back to top »
Jim Price

Post Posted: Thursday May 26, 2011 

http://pamusician.net
 Back to top »
ROCKPAGE Forum Index » JP's Corner
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: