· The Final Cut
WEEK/WEEKEND RECAP 8/23/10
ROCKPAGE Forum Index » JP's Corner
previous topic :: next topic  
Jim Price

Post Posted: Thursday Oct 14, 2010 

WEEK/WEEKEND RECAP 8/23/10

DOUBLE D @ PELLEGRINE’S, ALTOONA 8/16/10

Providing accompaniment to gorging mass quantities of chicken limbs this Monday night was the pairing of Adam D and Eric D, Double D.

For much of the night, Adam on keys and Eric on guitar alternated singing duties, as they fronted on their respective varieties of music. Eric perused the folk and classic rock side of the spectrum, singing numbers spanning the Rolling Stones’ “Sympathy for the Devil” and “You Can’t Always Get What You Want,” Bob Dylan’s “Subterranean Homesick Blues,” Bob Seger’s “Turn the Page,” Grateful Dead’s “Friend of the Devil,” Todd Snider’s “Alright Guy” and more. Adam reprised his knack for performing the unexpected, from Bob Dylan’s “Serve Somebody,” Ten CC’s “I’m Not In Love,” Phil Collins’ “In the Air Tonight” and Bruce Springsteen’s “Thunder Road” to The Flys’ “Got You Where I Want You,” Counting Crows’ “Round Here” and more. Late in the night, a guest joined in, as Kira Burley helped the duo close the night by singing lead on Rod Stewart’s “The First Cut Is the Deepest.”

JAM NIGHT @ PELLEGRINE’S, ALTOONA 8/18/10

This edition of Pellegrine’s weekly Wednesday Open Mic/Jam Night turned out to be spirited affair, as approximately 16 different musicians and performers took part; including a number of new faces.

Adam D and Big Jim were reprising Sharkbite as I arrived; and performed favorites from CCR, Boston, Journey, Doors, Bob Seger and more. Making his Open Mic/Jam Night debut, Dan Myers II stepped up and performed a mix of original songs and covers; along the way joined by four other newcomers, Kayla Feaster on guitar, Fran Wertz on backing vocals, and the Hot Wax contingent of Mike Crocetti on drums and Larry on bass. Dan’s song selection included numbers from Simon & Garfunkel, The Who, Lynyrd Skynyrd, Fastball and more.

Next was another Wednesday newcomer, as Peter Wolf stepped to the stage to play guitar with Terry Wilt backing him on drums. The two did a pair of Bob Dylan numbers, “Tangled Up in Blue” and “Knockin’ on Heaven’s Door.”

Ray Springsteel also made his Pelly’s Wednesday debut this night, stepping up to perform renditions of Elton John’s “Rocket Man” and the Allman Brothers’ “Soulshine.”

Pelly’s frequent flyer Eric D then performed a set that mixed acoustic rock and folk numbers; including tunes from Neil Young, Tom Petty, Rolling Stones, Bob Dylan, Grateful Dead, Todd Snider, The Devil Makes Three and more.

During Eric’s set, the jam session portion of the night kicked in, as various musicians began to join in. Participants included many of the aforementioned musicians, along with Jamie Shumac on drums, Kira Burley on vocals, JP the bongo man and more. Near night’s end, Issues Entertainment comedian Adam Banks stepped up to do a solo set, showcasing an excellent singing voice on tunes from Neil Young, Grateful Dead, Bob Marley and Marvin Gaye.

Once again, the jams were plentiful and fun, and plentiful musicians and fans made for good times.

Fran Wertz, Kayla Feaster and Dan Myers II.

Peter Wolf, Adam D, Jamie Shumac and Big Jim.

Larry, Peter Wolf and Dan Myers II.

FULL KILT/JOHNNY UNIT @ LAKEMONT PARK WINGOFF, ALTOONA 8/19/10

It is extremely rare that I ever miss two Lakemont Park WingOff’s in a row. It is downright impossible for me to miss three in a row, and I returned to Lakemont this evening to make sure it remained impossible.

Performing under the pavilion to start off the music was Full Kilt. After procuring half dozens of parmesan ranch and hot wings from the Buccinese Society, I found a picnic table and feasted while observing Full Kilt’s brand of rocking Irish-geared merriment. Back at full strength for this WingOff, the full-kilted contingent of frontman/guitarist Mike Zerbee, fiddle chick Mandy Passmore, bass/bodhran guy Chris Myers and drummer Pat Boland mixed traditional Celtic favorites with Irished-up rock numbers and original songs. Among the tunes this night were Gaelic Storm’s “Darcy’s Drunken Donkey,” “Whiskey in the Jar,” the original number “Come Have a Drink With the Band,” and the set-ending rendition of Lynyrd Skynyrd’s “Free Bird,” capped with Mandy’s blistering fiddle solo work in the homestretch…awesome!

Continuing music on the main stage was the Altoona debut of Johnny Unit. Based in Lewistown, Johnny Unit lit up the WingOff crowd with their strong, rocking party. Singer Ryan Russler, lead guitarist Adam Becker, rhythm guitarist Jordan Krepps, bassist Justin Bumgardner and drummer Jeb Stroup set a brisk pace as they fired off modern and classic rock favorites; displaying crisp harmonies and tight execution along the way. These guys were tight, energetic and go-for-broke as they did tunes from Maroon 5, Third Eye Blind, Journey, Smashmouth, Proclaimers, CCR, Fallout Boy, Bon Jovi, Bryan Adams and many more. Several times the group strung songs together into fast-firing medleys, and kept the energy level constant. Johnny Unit convincingly brought the party, and slammed the exclamation point on the good time that was this week’s WingOff. Hopefully we’ll see this crew back in the ‘Toona again soon!

A non-musical highlight of this WingOff was the flyover by this B-17 Flying Fortress, part of the “Wings Of Freedom” historic aircraft tour that visited Blair County Airport in Martinsburg this week.

Making their Altoona and WingOff debut, Johnny Unit.

Again, Johnny Unit.

Ryan Russler of Johnny Unit.

Adam Becker of Johnny Unit.

Jordan Krepps of Johnny Unit.

Justin Bumgardner of Johnny Unit.

Again, Ryan Russler.

Ryan Russler takes the party to the crowd.

Once again, Johnny Unit.

WingOff attendees look on as Johnny Unit performs.

FELIX & THE HURRICANES @ PELLEGRINE’S, ALTOONA 8/19/10

After attending to some post WingOff radio station duties, I made my way to Pellegrine’s for a dose of Thursday Hurricaning.

I missed the opening act this night, youth rockers E.V.K., but understand they went over well. The E.V.K. contingent of Chelsea and Stevie were still in the house as I arrived.

The Hurricanes with keyboard man Dave Villani were on stage and doing what they do best, bringing their crisp blend of classic rock, blues, country and original tunes. The group did original song favorites like “Black Widow,” “Walking a Straight Line” and “La La Land”; broke out Stevie Ray Vaughan’s “Rude Mood,” Marshall Tucker Band’s “Heard It in a Love Song,” the Doors’ “Love Her Madly,” the Allmans’ “Midnight Rider” and more.

The group capped the night with another short set, performing Los Lonely Boys’ “Heaven,” Ted Nugent’s “Stranglehold” and the Allman Brothers’ “Dreams.”

Musicianship was again top shelf, with Felix Kos’ guitar and Dave Villani’s keys chatting back and forth, blending and yielding impressive results. Jeff Clapper’s bass work again sounded masterful, and Bob Watters’ drum beats were punchy and commanding. The Pelly’s fans enjoyed it; again a good time!

The Hurricanes with Dave Villani on keys, entertaining at Pellegrine’s.

Dave Villani.

Dave and lead ‘Cane Felix Kos.

Again, The Hurricanes.

EXES FOR EYES/DRAIN THE SORROW/THIS CALLING @ ALDO’S, ALTOONA 8/20/10

I had experienced several near misses while trying to check back in with Altoona heavy rockers This Calling in recent months; this night I finally caught up with them at Aldo’s.

This show was in fact a triple-bill, and a new band was kicking off the night. A new local punk group, Exes for Eyes features several familiar names of the Altoona area punk scene; including Tom Noel in his first role as frontman, Shaun Barr on guitar, Oob on bass and Justin Fair on drums. Exes for Eyes slammed out high-adrenaline punk numbers from Screeching Weasel, Dropkick Murphys, Against Me, Rancid and more. Former Suicide Switch frontman Cheeze provided backing vocals on one number. Tight and volatile, Exes For Eyes made an impressive first showing this night, and served notice that they should be a force on local stages in coming months.

Exes For Eyes and some fans.

Tom and Shaun would return to action shortly, as Drain The Sorrow soon followed with their volatile brand of hardcore. Parading the front of the stage like a caged animal, vocalist Troy Mort brought enraged fury; backed by guitarists Shaun Barr and Tom Noel, bassist Joe Neary and drummer Andy Hicks. Drain The Sorrow crushed with bone-jarring originals like “Parking Lot Hero,” “N.S.C. Anthem,” “My Choice” and more. The group also dedicated a song in memory of Andy’s brother, Michael “2-Fists” Hicks and Steve McCulley.

Drain The Sorrow.

Troy Mort of Drain The Sorrow.

Drain The Sorrow and some fans, including Troy’s mom, Denise (on left).

Again, Troy and Drain The Sorrow.

Joe Neary and Tom Noel of Drain The Sorrow.

Andy Hicks of Drain The Sorrow.

And This Calling closed the night with their fierce brand of hardcore-laced metal. Singer/guitarist Joe Neary, lead guitarist Chris Silva, bassist Paul Greiner and drummer Justin Fair introduced scathing new assaults such as “Creation” and “Salvation,” and did numerous numbers from their debut disc Witness the Fall such as “My Turning Point,” “Disguise,” “Taste of Victory,” the slower “1,000 Words” and more; before ending the night with a torrid update of Iron Maiden’s “Hallowed Be Thy Name.” This Calling sounded in good form; Joe’s howl was savage, and Chris demonstrated some clean and precise guitar solo work. The new song material sounded strong, and this group sounded totally in control on their arsenal of tunes.

Serving double-duty with two bands this night, Joe Neary of This Calling.

Again, Joe Neary and This Calling.

Chris Silva of This Calling.

Again, This Calling.

More of This Calling.

Paul Greiner of This Calling.

Once again, Joe Neary.

A couple of fans (including Rockpager “Naga,” second from right) join Joe Neary and Chris Silva of This Calling.

Again, Joe Neary and Chris Silva.

Naga and another fan, helping with vocals.

One more time, Joe and Chris.

This turned into a good triple-bill, with all three bands displaying distinctive flavors. It was also good to see a good crowd turnout for this, as original rock was supported this night on the Aldo’s stage.

SPIRIT LOST/SAVING JAKE/HALF TEMPTED/MYSTERYTRAIN @ JEFFY SHOWALTER MEMORIAL RIDE POST-PARTY, CAMPBELL HILL REC ROOM, GEESEYTOWN 8/21/10

Musicians, motorcycle and music fans again came together this night to remember a friend during the 7th annual Jeffy Showalter Memorial Ride and after-party.

What this day was all about.

Jeff Showalter, for those who did not know him, was a friend to the Altoona area music scene and motorcycle community. He was an avid rider, and when he wasn’t riding, he could often be found checking out and supporting live bands. He frequently helped roadie, and helped haul gear in and out of venues for such names as Korruption, Felix & the Hurricanes, Half Tempted and more. I used to speak with him frequently when I saw him out; and remember numerous nights chatting with him at Peter C’s or even after shows across the street at King’s Restaurant. He was always friendly, helpful and down to earth.

Jeff lost his life on Sunday night, April 18, 2004 in a motorcycle crash. The first Jeffy Showalter Memorial Ride was staged later that year, and has happened every year since. Each ride finishes up at the ABATE of Blair County headquarters, the Campbell Hill Rec Room just east of Geeseytown. The ride and post-party are co-sponsored by the Iron Horse RailRiders of Blair County.

Unlike past years, I actually was able to arrive before the bands started playing, and got to witness many of the riders arriving at the site. Once again, hundreds took part to remember Jeff and raise money for the memorial scholarship fund in his name.

Some of the motorcycles parked at the Jeffy Showalter post-party.

More bikes and their riders.

Some more bikes.

An impressive-looking fleet of machines.

Cool-looking trike!

Soon the music began inside the garage area. With Ed Murvine filling in on drums last minute for Sam Thurau, Spirit Lost kicked off the music with their set of modern-geared rock. Ed, singer Tyler Hull, lead guitarist Brian Smith, rhythm guitarist Austin Tepsic and bassist Russ Patterson performed hard-hitting numbers from Poison, Bush, Nirvana, Nickelback, Theory Of A Deadman, Linkin Park, Seether, Seven Mary Three, Lit and more. Ed filled the gap well, enabling Spirit Lost to do good work on their song selection. This performance set an upbeat mood for the night, as riders arrived and dined on the post-ride food spread.

The band line-up for the Jeffy Showalter post-party.

Commencing the music, Spirit Lost.

Tyler Hull of Spirit Lost.

Covering behind the drum kit last minute, Ed Murvine.

Again, Spirit Lost.

Brian Smith of Spirit Lost.

Next, Saving Jake took things in an acoustic direction, as they mixed classic and modern favorites from The Who, Kenny Wayne Shepherd, Steve Earle, Sublime, Guns N’Roses and more. Singer/guitarist James Musselman, guitarists Jordan Ferraro and Josh Michael displayed good voices and smooth harmonies, and also kept spirits high with their sounds. With many of the riders eating while they played, Saving Jake’s acoustic sounds provided timely and suitable dinner music.

A view of the mountains from the Campbell Hill Rec Room.

Saving Jake.

Again, Saving Jake.

One more time, Saving Jake.

Half Tempted then cranked up the party with their blazing classic rock. The trusty crew of singer/guitar man Ron Dalansky, bassist Joe George and drummer Clint Carothers quickly triggered busy dance action as they fired off tunes from Kiss, Cheap Trick, AC/DC, Black Sabbath and more. The set picked up energy and momentum as the band played, and reached a high crescendo toward the end when Denise McCulley – whose late husband, Steve, drummed for Half Tempted at this event in the previous years of this event – added her fiery voice to the set-ending rendition of AC/DC’s “Highway to Hell.” By song’s end, every person in the garage was cheering wildly and showing solidarity with Denise. For me, this adrenaline-rush moment was the biggest highlight of the night.

With the arrival of night, a bonfire is started.

Photo memories of Jeff Showalter.

Half Tempted.

Again, Half Tempted.

Clint Carothers of Half Tempted.

Once again, Half Tempted.

Joe George of Half Tempted.

Ron Dalansky of Half Tempted.

Again, Clint Carothers.

Denise McCulley joins in the action with Half Tempted.

Ronny D and Denise, belting out some AC/DC.

Again, Joe George and Clint Carothers.

Once again, Ron Dalansky.

Half Tempted, Denise and fans.

One more time, Half Tempted and fans.

There was a break between bands at this point, to both allow the next band, Mysterytrain, to set up gear, and for the “adult entertainment” portion of the proceedings to take place. It took a while for female contestants to step forward for this year’s competition, but eventually five did, and the contest took place for a cash prize. I won’t go into details, except to say that the headlights seen on the Rec Room grounds at this point of the night weren’t from bikes and cars!

Clouds had been thickening through much of the evening, and rain arrived as the night’s final band, Mysterytrain, kicked off their psychedelic hoedown. Sans keyboardist Gina Riggio this night (who was logging hospital time in Pittsburgh), Mysterytrain sparked dancing and grooving by bikers and hippies alike on their selection of original music; doing such upbeat numbers as “Chateau in the Shade,” their update of Spinal Tap’s “All the Way Home” and more.

Commencing their psychedelic hoedown, Mysterytrain.

Dan Klock of Mysterytrain.

Several people get their groove on with Mysterytrain.

Mysterytrain’s percussion section, Chuck Bailey and Jacob Haqq-Misra.

Once again, Mysterytrain and fans.

The increasing rainfall corresponded to a decrease in crowd, as folks started to filter off the grounds for the night. I decided to depart about 40 minutes into Mysterytrain’s set, to catch other musical activity in the Altoona vicinity. But the Jeffy Showalter Memorial Ride was another big success, with many participants in both the ride and post party, remembering Jeff’s memory and raising money for his scholarship fund.

SHALLOW9 @ 30 SOMETHING, ALTOONA 8/21/10

I headed to 30 Something to cap the night, by catching the latest party by Shallow9.

A sizable crowd was in the house as I got there during Shallow9’s second set. Many of those in attendance were on the dance floor as leading lady Erika Marino, guitarist Kenton Sitch, bassist Mitch Neuder and drummer Zac Grace played mostly modern-rocking favorites. As she has demonstrated before, Erika didn’t just dazzle on the expected female-rock favorites from No Doubt, Cranberries, Alanis Morisette and Lady GaGa; but also held her own on the guy-rock of artists like Buckcherry, Foo Fighters, Audioslave, Nickelback, Kid Rock, Jet and more.

Shallow9 was instrumentally on the money as well, with Kenton showing some clean and precise lead work on his guitar, and Zac and Mitch anchoring the sound with full-sounding, commanding rhythms. The dance floor stayed busy throughout the second and third sets, and the party reached its crescendo with blowout renditions of Nena’s “99 Redballoons” and Buckcherry’s “Crazy Bitch” to send everyone home happy.

This was another good party, and provided further evidence that Shallow9 is catching on and building a good fan base in the Altoona locale.

Shallow9.

Kenton Sitch of Shallow9.

Erika Marino of Shallow9.

Again, Kenton Sitch.

Again, Shallow9.

Zac Grace of Shallow9.

Again, Erika Marino.

One more time, Shallow9.

7TH GEAR @ PELLEGRINE’S, ALTOONA 8/22/10

As it usually does, my weekend came to a close at Pellegrine’s, where 7th Gear was providing the tunes.

Providing the tunes to mostly crickets, that is…Once again, the crowd was almost non-existent this night, leaving the band playing to an empty band room, while the folks who did show up largely congregated around the main bar. While a number of factors have impacted bad attendance at Pellegrine’s in the past year; 7th Gear’s crowd here may also be impacted by the fact that they play shows with no cover charge every other Wednesday at the 4D’s Lounge. Why would fans pay a cover to see them at Pelly’s when they can see them for free at the Dees?

7th Gear rocked those who did show up, having fun as they did their upbeat mixture of current and classic hits. Singer/guitarist Brendon Burns, bassist Kelly Montgomery and drummer Randy Servello kept it lively with tunes from Sublime, Van Morrison, Violent Femmes, Wheatus, Wild Cherry, Blues Traveler, Tom Petty, Stevie Wonder, Def Leppard, Steve Miller Band, Black Crowes, Aerosmith and more.

I divided my time between the band and the “DVD of the week” in the rear room by the door. This week’s selection was The Losers starring Jeffrey Dean Morgan, Zoe Saldana and Chris Evans; about a U.S. Special Forces unit gaining revenge on an enemy named Max who hung them out to dry during a search and destroy mission in Bolivia. Decent action flick.

7th Gear.

Brendon Burns of 7th Gear.

Again, 7th Gear.

http://pamusician.net
 Back to top »
Jim Price

Post Posted: Friday May 27, 2011 

http://pamusician.net
 Back to top »
ROCKPAGE Forum Index » JP's Corner
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: