· The Final Cut
Earvana Compensated Nut
ROCKPAGE Forum Index » Tech Sector
previous topic :: next topic  
tonefight
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Post Posted: Wednesday Jan 18, 2012 

I've got 2 guitars fitted with em now, I played one of the ones with a standard nut the other night and I almost couldn't stand it. If ya haven't tried one do yourself a favor and do it. I fit one on one of my Frankenstrats, it was supposed to be a drop in for a 12" radius but I did have to sand the radius a bit and ya have to file the depth too. So it was a little tough getting it right but well worth it.
If it drives you nuts when you tune all your strings open, hit a G cord and it sounds perfect but hit an Emaj or A maj only to hear a not so perfect sounding cord it will fix that. ( if you've never noticed this then don't bother )
I think this is the best advance it guitar technology since the invention of the pickup !!!!! Seriously !!!!! I Love it !!!!!
Slothkill
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Posted: Sunday Jan 22, 2012 

I installed one about 8 years ago on a friends tele. I do have to agree the intonation of your guitar with open tunings is fantastic!
Have you ever seen or had any experiance with the flip tuning bridge Stew MAc sells?
tonefight
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Slothkill wrote:
I installed one about 8 years ago on a friends tele. I do have to agree the intonation of your guitar with open tunings is fantastic!
Have you ever seen or had any experiance with the flip tuning bridge Stew MAc sells?

No never heard of that, I'll have to check it out.
tonefight
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

tonefight wrote:
Slothkill wrote:

No never heard of that, I'll have to check it out.

Can't find it I even typed "flip tuning bridge" in their search box.
MOONDOGGY
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Post Posted: Monday Jan 23, 2012 

Are you thinking of the Hipshot Trilogy bridge? I've been tempted to put one of these on a Tele I'm building up, and I've been looking for feedback on how well they perform.

All kinetic, no potential.

Back to top »
tonefight
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Post Posted: Wednesday Jan 25, 2012 

Can't imagine a bridge would do what the compensated nut does but I could be wrong. The compensated nut actually changes the open to 1st string distance. Check this page out :
http://earvana.com/technology.htm
lonewolf
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Post Posted: Wednesday Jan 25, 2012 

tonefight wrote:
Can't imagine a bridge would do what the compensated nut does but I could be wrong. The compensated nut actually changes the open to 1st string distance. Check this page out :

They've been making wraparound compensated bridges for decades. Just about all PRS hardtails have them. They come in different designs for different string gauge ranges.

I would expect that the compensated nut would actually screw up the intonation on a fixed compensated bridge. Too much compensation goin' on there!
tonefight
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Post Posted: Sunday Jan 29, 2012 

lonewolf wrote:
tonefight wrote:

They've been making wraparound compensated bridges for decades. Just about all PRS hardtails have them. They come in different designs for different string gauge ranges.

I would expect that the compensated nut would actually screw up the intonation on a fixed compensated bridge. Too much compensation goin' on there!

This is a whole different concept than a compensated bridge, you should seriously do yourself a favor and look into it. I agree a compensated nut on a non compensated bridge may really screw things up but we're talkin apples and oranges. You will need to reintonate after installing the nut and the the common saddle position changes. Go to that link above and look at the tuning chart of the fretboard with an earvanna nut and without. That's on paper but after playing some open cords is when you'll hear it.
lonewolf
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

tonefight wrote:
lonewolf wrote:
tonefight wrote:

This is a whole different concept than a compensated bridge, you should seriously do yourself a favor and look into it. I agree a compensated nut on a non compensated bridge may really screw things up but we're talkin apples and oranges. You will need to reintonate after installing the nut and the the common saddle position changes. Go to that link above and look at the tuning chart of the fretboard with an earvanna nut and without. That's on paper but after playing some open cords is when you'll hear it.

Its exactly the same concept as a fixed compensated bridge except that its at the other end of the strings and does some slightly different pitch "shifting". I like the idea since looks like it takes intonation about as close to perfect as you can get. This nut should work great with bridges with individual saddle adjustment.

I was talking about a FIXED compensated bridge Tony...they don't have saddles to adjust...This kind of bridge might have some problems with the nut:

tonefight
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Yeah, that bridge definatly wouldn't work. The Earvanna nut takes the bridge saddles to an unconventional position when setting intonation.
Ya gotta check out that chart in the link I provided. It does way more than at the bridge.
lonewolf
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

tonefight wrote:
Yeah, that bridge definatly wouldn't work. The Earvanna nut takes the bridge saddles to an unconventional position when setting intonation.
Ya gotta check out that chart in the link I provided. It does way more than at the bridge.

I did look at the chart before...it does exactly the same kind of pitch shifting, only in the other direction and a hell of a lot less than the bridge I pictured. The changes the nut makes are only a few cents and much more subtle than the tens of cents of change on that compensated bridge.

The "typical" pitches on that chart represent a fully intonated guitar, not the pitch changes on a compensated bridge.
tonefight
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

lonewolf wrote:
tonefight wrote:

I did look at the chart before...it does exactly the same kind of pitch shifting, only in the other direction and a hell of a lot less than the bridge I pictured. The changes the nut makes are only a few cents and much more subtle than the tens of cents of change on that compensated bridge.

The "typical" pitches on that chart represent a fully intonated guitar, not the pitch changes on a compensated bridge.

Yes Jeff I am sure that chart represents a guitar with the intonation set wich proves the point. You can set the intonation at the bridge but the guitar will still not be in tune throughout the fretboard that is what the compensated nut does. I think the point is to use the compensated nut with an adjustable bridge. Have you played a guitar with one of these ? I'm tellin ya it works.
Slothkill
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Posted: Monday Jan 30, 2012 

Yes it was the Hipshot Bridge.
The Eavana nut makes the guitar MORE playable for certain players. if your a jazz player that plays some more elaborate chords this wil make a noteable difference. If your just banging "5" chords you will never notice.
tonefight
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Post Posted: Monday Jan 30, 2012 

Correct not noticable when playing power cords, regular open cords however really clean up. Mainly Emaj, Amaj. The main difference is in the 1st to the 4th frets on the 2nd and 3rd strings.
Slothkill
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Posted: Tuesday Jan 31, 2012 

I think that was the idea behind the Eavana. you can intonate the guitar normally and it sounds great. But if your ear goes beyond it helps to bring in evererything below the seventh fret.
Build a better mousetrap in my opinion.
Id like to see a compensated Floyd Nut.. That would be awesome
tonefight
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Slothkill wrote:
Id like to see a compensated Floyd Nut.. That would be awesome

They make em, check the link I posted and go to the home page.
lonewolf
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

They don't seem to have any that match PRS specs.
ROCKPAGE Forum Index » Tech Sector
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: