· The Final Cut
New Bass Rig
ROCKPAGE Forum Index » Tech Sector
previous topic :: next topic  
riksylvania
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Posted: Thursday May 17, 2012 

After all of that discussion, and my power amp dying and then replaced, I finally got to play my new rig for a short while this morning before work. It's big and tight and transparent, but with enough bark when I lay in to it to push the right notes out front if I need to. Thanks Bassist_25 and CMOR for the Ampeg push, it was just what I was looking for. (Although I did play through an old Bandmaster the other night that was exactly what I was looking for for electric bass only, so all tube is still on the menu for some time in the future.)

Back to top »
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
bassist_25

That's bad ass Rik. I'm sure the Ampeg's character really comes out well with the relative transparency of the HyDrive cab. Now all you need is a tube power amp, ha ha. I saw a used Aguilar DB728 for $1400 the other day. Someone needs to step it up around here with a 400 watt tube bass amp. *lol*
riksylvania
Gold Member
Gold Member

hell yes! That Fender 300 ps that I was looking at has a 400 watt big brother. the 400 ps blew tubes a lot from what I was reading.
I'm really digging this sound with the Jazz Bass, upright's getting a new bridge so I have to wait a few weeks to hear that combo.
 Back to top »
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
ToonaRockGuy
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Post Posted: Wednesday Jun 06, 2012 

Being a drummer, I'm probably missing something, but I see absolutley nothing on that rig that says Ampeg. What gives?
sunsetbass
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Posted: Wednesday Jun 06, 2012 

look at the unit right above the power amp. to the right side there is the ampeg logo. lol but we bass players understand..........it doesnt say pearl or dw on it. just kidding.
riksylvania
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Posted: Thursday Jun 07, 2012 

The SVP is the Ampeg tube preamp, the same tube pre section of the big SVT all tube heads.
 Back to top »
TheBMC
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Posted: Thursday Jun 07, 2012 

Do you notice a big difference with the Tube preamp as apposed to a solid state? I was thinking about going from the GK mb series head to a GK fusion head which has a tube preamp.

"Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."

www.facebook.com/thesitchrocks
 Back to top »
riksylvania
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Posted: Friday Jun 08, 2012 

Big time.

I use tube guitar amps (class A, point to point wired), tube bass pres, and tube pres to do all tracking in my studio. They are always warmer sounding and can break up well if necessary.

As far as bass, i love this new pre. I have it set where the jazz bass breaks a little when i dig in to it a little, but the upright stays clean as a whistle, even when i'm really pounding the shit out of it. I love it. Never played a tube GK, let us know how it sounds if you get one!
 Back to top »
TheBMC
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Will do, I'm pretty sure i'm going to make the change. I've heard nothing but good things about the Fusion line up of heads as well as switching to Tube pre amp in general. First I am working on getting my cabs identical which hopefully happen in the next couple weeks... then on to the head.

Thanks for your input.

"Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."

Back to top »
riksylvania
Gold Member
Gold Member

No sweat, post sounds and pics when you're done!
 Back to top »
TheBMC
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Of course! All though in the short time that I have been playing I've realized I will probably never be "done"... Always somthing new to try or add to the mix. it seems every time I learn somthing new there is somthing else to swap, upgrade or add lol.

Back to top »
riksylvania
Gold Member
Gold Member

There's always a better tone out there
 Back to top »
bassist_25

Post Posted: Tuesday Jun 12, 2012 

riksylvania wrote:
There's always a better tone out there

Indeed, but once you get to a certain point, I find that you're just moving sideways.
riksylvania
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Posted: Tuesday Jun 12, 2012 

That's where 'better' becomes less objective, IMHO.
 Back to top »
ROCKPAGE Forum Index » Tech Sector
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: