· Show Schedule
· The Forums
· The Final Cut
Help with a mixer
ROCKPAGE Forum Index » Tech Sector
previous topic :: next topic  
rikguy33

Post Posted: Wednesday Sep 19, 2012 

I'm a drummer & i wanted to mic my drums. I bought the mics & a small used mixer, a Behringer EURORACK UB1204FX-PRO. I'm not sure what the right setup is for this. Is it as simple as plugging mics to the inputs then running an output line into the amp? If so, does it matter which output I use?
I'm a drummer, not a sound guy but I thought that I could use this mixer with my acoustic set and run my edrum thru it too.
Anyone that can help talk me through the right way to set this up?

http://www.behringer.com/assets/UB1204FX-PRO_P0160_M_EN.pdf

Thanks -Rick.
Craven Sound
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

What mics did you get? You may need phantom power for some of them. I always wire drum kits the same way every time so I can completely wire a stage without having to write anything down. My drum inputs are usually as follows:

K, S, H, F, R, R, OH (house left), OH (house right)

I usually go left to right with my toms to make it easier to remember where they are plugged in. Also, OH mics are overkill for small venues where the drummer is hamfisted.
 Back to top »
lonewolf
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Without external preamps, you can only use 4 microphones with that mixer. With only 4 mics, I recommend a bass drum mic, snare drum mic and two condenser overheads. When running condenser mics, you must switch the 48V phantom power ON. Also, that mixer doesn't have balanced outputs, so you are limited to about a 30' run or so from your mixer to the power amp.

Plug the mics into the 4 mic channels with balanced XLR cables. Plug your e-drums into a stereo channel with TS instrument cables.

If you have two speakers, plug a TS instrument cable from each MAIN OUT into each amp channel. If you only have one speaker, use the LEFT MAIN OUT only.

This is not a configuration that I would recommend for a pro audio stage setup. Going directly to the main console is much better.

I don't know what mics you have, but the Audix F15 is an excellent condenser overhead for the money...2 for $130 and sometimes 2 for $99 on special.
rikguy33

Post Posted: Thursday Sep 20, 2012 

Thanks guys. i had borrowed an overhead and used a snare & bass mic. I'll keep an eye out for those Audix mics on sale.
I have an old Marboro amp and PA speakers. I was hoping to use this mixer in place of a snake and run my drums into it and then run it to the amp and then the speakers from the amp. Does that sound right? If so, which outputs on the mixer do I run to the amp?
I'm looking to combine some of the edrum pads with my accoustic set for effects. So i would have 3 or 4 drum mics and the edrums all run into the mixer. This mixer does have phantom power.
I don't know if the "main console" that my guitar player is using has enough inputs for all of my mics in addition to what everyone else is using, that's why I thought that this setup might be a good idea.

Thanks!
Craven Sound
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Posted: Saturday Sep 22, 2012 

Honestly, I'd rather run two overheads than one + a snare. Depending on the player, the snare is the loudest drum on the set and I occasionally don't need any in the mix.
 Back to top »
ROCKPAGE Forum Index » Tech Sector
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: