· The Final Cut
Amp Placement
ROCKPAGE Forum Index » Tech Sector
previous topic :: next topic  
kayla
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Posted: Tuesday Jan 20, 2015 

I've wondered about amp placement for a bit. I run a 1x12 Tube combo so mines usually up on a stand behind me.

But i've seen some people place their amps (all combo's) on the side, facing towards the wall, on the floor etc etc. The one that puzzles me is facing the amp towards the wall - anyone have the logic for this? i'm sure there is something i'm missing.

so whats the thoughts on amp placement?

- kayla.
StumbleFingers
Gold Member
Gold Member

The amp facing the wall is mainly to let you crank it up without murdering the audience (and yourself) with volume. And it makes life much easier for the sound crew because you aren't competing with the FOH. If you aren't mic'ing the amp, facing the wall obviously isn't as good of an option.

Facing sideways has the same advantages, plus the other side of the stage gets to hear you. I tend to avoid facing sideways because if the rest of the band actually heard my playing they might be looking for a new guitarist...
bassist_25

A lot of national bands also face amps towards the back, set them backstage, or put covers over the speakers in order to hit the sweet spot on tube amps without creating insane stage volume.

Kenny and I used to sidewash our rigs for years when we played together. I really liked it. I never needed guitar in my monitor and he never needed bass in his. Guitars beam a lot, which makes it an easy to do trick to help ease some phasing issues with the front of house. With pro-level production companies, that's less of an issue since they should be delaying the FOH with a Driverack to be in sync with the backline. But since we don't live in a perfect world, we don't always have pro-level production. *lol*
JackANSI
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Location: Workin' in a Soylent factory, Waitin' for the Malthusian catastrophe.

In my opinion, if your amp isn't a vital part of creating the sound level in the room, your amp is just there for you and the people on the stage to hear you (if there are no quality stage monitors). So place it accordingly, the mic you put in front of the amp will take your tone to the house. Definitely don't be afraid to try a few positions out in each place you play.

If you don't have sound reinforcement, just try not to stand in front of your amp.

There is also a lot to be said for the high-end "speaker cabinet simulators" instead of actual cabs these days, if an adequate PA/monitor system is available though.

I just always kept my bass amp close to the drummer.
 Back to top »
kayla
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Posted: Wednesday Jan 21, 2015 

ahh thanks guys. all that makes sense. the amp facing the wall really threw me off.

- kayla.
ToonaRockGuy
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Post Posted: Thursday Jan 22, 2015 

That's why a lot of nights at Shaw's Felix would put his custom-made Fender Amp case in front of his rig. Even that Twin that he plays through can tear your head off, especially in a bar as small as that one.
old Skool
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Posted: Thursday Jan 22, 2015 

When I started playing out a good friend of mine who had a lot of experience gigging said he didn't understand why people always want to put their amps behind them. He said our ears are on the side of our head, not on the back. Makes sense so I started side washing and still do as long as set up permits. Makes it easier for FOH to mix and can control volume, etc better on stage. Another one of those things that's not right or wrong, just what works for you.
The Shadow
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Posted: Friday Jan 23, 2015 

I set my amp up wherever it fits and I don't usually turn it up very loud. I get what I need to hear guitarwise out of my monitor, for two main reasons.

1. I'm parked out there because of singing duties and my pedalboard is there.
2. By the second set there's a solid wall of bimbo dancing in front of my amp, which makes hearing it almost impossible.
 Back to top »
ROCKPAGE Forum Index » Tech Sector
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: