Traveling with gear
ROCKPAGE Forum Index » Tech Sector
previous topic :: next topic  
jon5150
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Posted: Wednesday Oct 29, 2014 

I have a question for all.

Our band will be doing a lot of out of state traveling this summer.
I am a guitar player and my normal stage gear is:
120 Watt Fender Mustang IV (2 12 Combo amp)
2 Electric guitars
1 Acoustic Guitar

Some of these places we are going will be a really long drive or Plane Ride...With that said, Is it common for guitar players just to take a Pedal Board (Floor Processor) and a guitar...to minimize what is taken? Not have the Bulky amp to worry about space and or prices to ship...

I know some players rent the equipment there...but that is a wild card...My thinking is Loose the amp...get in touch with a stand alone floor Processor with ear phones, to minimize the hassle of unknown sound guys trying to get my mix in the monitors.
So basically my thoughts. One Guitar with a Floor Processor...all fixed up to my standards and what's needed....

Will this work or is there a better solution?

Looking forward to some thoughts and solutions

Thanks
 Back to top »
floodcitybrass
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Many smaller touring acts only carry minimal stuff.
Guitar/bass players might only carry a guitar and pedals.
Drummer might only bring some sticks and cymbals.

But these touring acts have enough authority to specify required back line equipment months in advance. It is up to the venue/promoter to take care of the back line ( and other specifications in a technical rider, hospitality rider, etc.)

So if your tour is set up to have back line available, then leave the amp at home.

Be aware that many smaller venues and promoters have no clue and you can specify a pre cbs blackface fender twin and you may instead get a 10 watt crate amp that was borrowed from someones nephew. Maybe take a blues Jr on the road just in case.

I used to do back line rentals and sound rentals around Johnstown and its how I came up with my current guitar amp collection.
 Back to top »
floodcitybrass
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

jon5150 wrote:
I have a question for all.

120 Watt Fender Mustang IV (2 12 Combo amp)

PS - This is going to cost you a ton of money to take it on a plane. Probably at least $75 per trip. There's typically about a 50lb limit before they start charging. Plus you better have a nice flight case for amp.
 Back to top »
jon5150
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Posted: Thursday Oct 30, 2014 

I will not be bringing the Mustang on the long trips. Its heavy enough without the flight case.

The only thing that will be provided is a full PA, Drums (Without Cymbals) and light show from there end.. we bring the rest. (I have options to rent, and or find a loaner..but...im not into the wild card kinda thing)

I do have a small Fender Super Champ to take if anything. A good friend of mine Terry Welsh played one live almost everywhere the past 2 years in his last band, and just mic'ed it. The sound was great and not expected from that little amp... Id probably want to have some extra tubes on hand though...

FloodCity...have you ever just went Processor to PA?

Is this a viable way to go if so?
Before I pull the trigger and buy a Floor Processor I want to get some more intell from the field...
or just bring the Small Amp...

Thanks so far!
floodcitybrass
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

jon5150 wrote:

FloodCity...have you ever just went Processor to PA?

Is this a viable way to go if so?
Before I pull the trigger and buy a Floor Processor I want to get some more intell from the field...
or just bring the Small Amp...

Thanks so far!

I haven't personally done a processor only. But I only own analog pedals.

However I have done sound for bands that use processors only. It might depend on the type of music you play. For example, JD Eicher and the Goodnights played Potatofest many times. Here is a video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R_852wQxhy4 Sound is recorded with a an iphone mic (It's a little high endy and crispy).
You'll see there's no guitar amp. You need a sound guys that can give you a decent monitor feed.
If you go that route, make sure you get one that is designed to go straight into a PA. It would most likely have some kind of amp modeling that basically simulates a speaker box of midrange.
 Back to top »
Jasaoke
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

I (and my band) have been playing processor only for several years now. We call it Zero Stage Volume. The idea is to be as universally mixable as possible. I think it's the best thing ever and I will never carry an amp again. I use a POD X3 Live from Line 6. It is an amp modeler and FX processor with more sounds than anyone would ever need, and it sounds good. It is slightly larger and heavier than a laptop computer, but much easier to deal with than a traditional pedalboard. In a case or gig bag it is easily carried in one hand, requires only one outlet, has lights and an LCD screen so I know what's going on, even on a dark stage. And it has a ridiculous amount of connectivity; XLR, 1/4", SPDIF, MIDI, & USB.

It does require a decent PA, but we've only encountered one "soundguy" who didn't seem to get it. (He also had trouble with boom stands, so...)

It's not for beginners. The factory presets are lackluster and the depth of control can be overwhelming. It takes a bit of tweaking but it's all tweakable.

I could go on and on...
 Back to top »
bassist_25

Post Posted: Friday Oct 31, 2014 

Sometimes playing live is a series of compromises. Generally, to have a good direct out sound to a board with guitar, the unit you're DIing from is going to need a speaker emulator. Otherwise, the sound may be brittle. If you only need a few basic sounds, the Tech21 Character Series pedals may be the way to go. If you require something with multiple colors and MIDI capability, then you may need a processor or emulator. If sound quality is of the utmost importance, that generally means using a unit that says either "Fractal Audio" or "Kemper" on the front - neither solution is cheap. This is where Jason and I disagree. Line 6 stuff sounds alright to my ears for low-gain or clean sounds, but it seriously starts to sound canned and compressed for anything that requires gain or the sensitivity of a true tube amp.
jon5150
Gold Member
Gold Member

good info guys....thanks

I may pull the trigger on something like this (it will do what I need plus always have the sound set....coming out of the monitor speaker....I guess?

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/HD500X-L2T

But that's a pretty big investment....my plan b:

Fender Mustang Floor Processor. (With an ear bud...) My fender mustang amp...In my opinion blows away any of the processing amp products within that price range. Before I bought, With an open ear, it I lined up all the Processing amps out at the time at Rainbow...and went through them till I found the one I liked most.

I could take all my setting from my amp and just copy them onto the pedal board and or vise versa...

Seems like I'm talking myself into a Fender Mustang Floor...

Still seeking some more though and suggestions.

Thanks
bassist_25

If you dig the Fender Mustang, then I think it's a pretty safe move to go with the floor processor.
Jasaoke
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

What I've found with Line 6 is that they offer a greater sonic spectrum than necessary - to the point where it is difficult to control. When I first got it, I had trouble getting things to sound right, particularly with higher gain sounds. There is a depth of control that gets out of hand. For each amp model, there's also a speaker cab model, a mic model, and channel strip functions (EQ, compressor). Switching mods yeilds the same type of sonic disparity that would come from changing all of those things in the real world.

It's certainly not for beginners.

When I bought mine, it was $500. It's worth twice that in reverb alone.
 Back to top »
Jasaoke
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Posted: Sunday Nov 02, 2014 

I'm very curious about the Hughes & Kettner Redbox. I think it would be great to put together an all-analog direct system.
 Back to top »
bassist_25

Post Posted: Tuesday Nov 04, 2014 

There are a couple speaker simulator DI boxes. Palmer makes a really good one. But that Hughes & Kettner does look like a really handy unit.

For a small amp solution, check out the Yamaha THR10. I detect a little bit of harshness in the top-end, but man all of the clips I've heard of it sound really good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vWjUVQbHLnM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mcZxn9OZp48
StumbleFingers
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Posted: Tuesday Nov 04, 2014 

I'm intrigued by the Tech 21 Fly Rig 5. Super compact and dead simple. It'd make a great backup rig.

jon5150
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Posted: Wednesday Nov 05, 2014 

I agree StumbleFingers. I want to try one of those out real bad, just not sure who would have one. May stop by State College area guitar stores here some time this week. Im gona call first. If you find any stores within the area that have one of those keep me posted...

Robert M sides will more than likely not have that though
Rainbow could
Alley Cat may....(Yep Alley Cat is back btw)
Altoona's Music Emporium is a mabe...
Spots...not sure only been there once...

watching youtube on the Fly rig here soon...mabe....
jon5150
Gold Member
Gold Member

Here is the best demo I found for that....seems pretty cool....Just wondering how it would go direct

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bjQTBDSieUs
old Skool
Gold Member
Gold Member

I was going to suggest that Tech 21 Fly Rig if you're looking for something simple. I've used Tech 21 Sansamps for years. They sound good and never had a problem. Would expect the same of the Fly Rig.
StumbleFingers
Gold Member
Gold Member

Bassists have always been way ahead of the game on this one. Back when we were hauling around racks the size of a refrigerator, they already knew the joys of running direct with a SansAmp.
bassist_25

StumbleFingers wrote:
Bassists have always been way ahead of the game on this one. Back when we were hauling around racks the size of a refrigerator, they already knew the joys of running direct with a SansAmp.

Speaking purely personally, I have a VT Deluxe pedal that I really dig, and I've used it in front of an amp as an effect and as a DI straight to the board. However, I've never been a big fan of the more ubiquitous Bass Driver pedals. I've always found that they sucked too much tone, even when in bypass mode. The only way I'd ever use one on a pedal board would be if it were in a true bypass loop or maybe right in front of a really good line buffer. Again, purely IME and my tastes.
lynch1
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Posted: Saturday Nov 08, 2014 

CJ at CJays music was just telling me a story about having to travel last minute to play a show with Ricky Lee. He took his guitar as a carryon, downloaded an effects simulator like Guitar Rig on his ipad. had a couple days to mess with it before he had to go, but got stuff dialed in. at the show went from the ipad to the board with a patch, had his monitor in front of him. said it sounded good. he had the ipad infront of him on a music stand, just reached over turned effects off and on as needed or could even tweak right there on the ipad. pretty cool stuff.
jon5150
Gold Member
Gold Member

I have an Ipad...but still not sold on that route...It would be a good one in a last straw scenario. If I cant find a Tech 21 Fly Rig 5 to play within a month or so Im going to pull the trigger on the Mustang Floor.

Thanks fellas,

JP
Jasaoke
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

As cool as I think the iPad would be, I can't see using it onstage. It's probably the best idea for a backup ever. But you couldn't expect it to handle regular stage use.

Consider connectivity. If the processor you go with doesn't have an XLR out, you may want to get a DI box as well. I like being able to deliver a balanced XLR signal; I can plug right in to any PA.
 Back to top »
jon5150
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Posted: Thursday Dec 18, 2014 

Pulled the trigger on a Boss GT-6. (Traded some gear) better than spending cash....

Used In Ear Monitors last show (With the amp behind me) and Id have to say....as long as my stage mates don't mind me going "Ampless" It may even happen for local stuff... our sound man Steve Shutt from SLP Pro Sound is one of the best and highly doubt it will be a problem for him and his crew.

We will see.... \m/

Twisted Evil
VENTGtr
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Post Posted: Friday Dec 19, 2014 

JP,

To the contrary, yer soundguy will LOVE you. Anything that helps their managing stage vs. to F.O.H. volume to a minimum'll be havin' 'em happier'n a gopher in soft dirt.

"You must be this beautiful to ride the Quagmire."
 Back to top »
jon5150
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Posted: Friday Dec 19, 2014 

Thanks guys...Ill keep ya all updated!
jon5150
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Posted: Thursday Jun 18, 2015 

From our last recent trip to Nashville..all I have to say is wow...is the music scene on fire down there. Every bar has 2-3 bands playing in them..and believe it or not, All the musicians walk in with there guitar and pedals...all the rest seems to be provided...(Meaning stacks of amps sitting in the background for easy on and off).

Surprisingly enough, nobody had a processor. It was all pedals..

I went down with a guitar and processor and it was more than enough. heck I really didn't even need the processor considering all the amps we picked from had dual channels.

Seems to be a pretty solid place, everybody is there for music, and all the musicians we talked to didn't have there better than thou shirt on..lol...

All the back lines we used were cream of the crop type amps and drums.

For the close trips im sticking with what works...amp guitars and all the fun stuff

For the long hauls...guitar and pedal board.
ROCKPAGE Forum Index » Tech Sector
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: