· The Forums
· The Final Cut
WEEK/WEEKEND RECAP 5/2/03
ROCKPAGE Forum Index » JP's Corner
previous topic :: next topic  
Jim Price

Post Posted: Friday May 02, 2003 

WEEK/WEEKEND RECAP 5/2/03:

Again, sorry for this week’s report being late. As you will see, I had lots to write about, and I spent half the week recovering from the sensory overload from everything I saw and experienced this past week and weekend! Enjoy…

TUESDAY AFTERNOON 4/22 – Earth Day at Penn State Altoona provided me an opportunity to catch at least a few minutes of live music. Early on I heard PnEumatic soundchecking with a Tool song (I know, that doesn't count!). Later, as I was wrapping up my day-job geared duties at Earth Day, I caught some of Hedgerow Red's set; a couple of original songs and an unplugged Foo Fighters tune. Scott on guitar and Woo on congas did a decent job on the tunes I heard; too bad the weather this Earth Day was crappy and not a lot of people were in attendance to check it out.

Hedgerow Red entertains at Penn State Altoona’s Earth Day.

Scott of Hedgerow Red.

Woo of Hedgerow Red.

THURSDAY NIGHT 4/24 - It had been over a month since I had done any Thursday Hurricaning, so I headed to Peter C's to see what was new with Felix & the gang. Light night attendance-wise, but good night music-wise, especially when guest singer Steve Oswalt made his phoenix-like appearance and joined the 'Canes onstage, reuniting with his former Rapidfire bandmate Bob Watters. No, we didn’t witness any performances from lawnchairs this night, but Steve did belt some powerful voice on tunes from Steppenwolf, Robin Trower, Lynyrd Skynyrd and Jethro Tull; Steve also wailed some blues on “Sweet Home Chicago,” and went full-out Jim Morrison on “Roadhouse Blues.” But the big surprise was he and the ‘Canes attempting Led Zeppelin’s “Stairway to Heaven.” The Hurricanes don’t usually do this Zep classic, so there were a few bumps and bruises along the way, but Steve and the ‘Canes maneuvered their way through it, and it was still fun to watch. Other ‘Canes highlights this night included Felix breaking out the slide on ZZ’s “Just Got Paid” and “Dust My Broom;” and the night-ending blend of Skynyrd’s “Ballad of Curtis Lowe” into “When The Saints Go Marching In.”

Steve Oswalt sings while a fan celebrates Thursday night Hurricaning.

Steve Oswalt sings while TWO fans celebrate Thursday night Hurricaning.

Stepping to the plate and belting one out like Rusty Staub (for you kiddies who don’t know who Rusty Staub is/was, dig out your parents’ baseball card collection), Steve Oswalt supplies the voice for The Hurricanes.

FRIDAY NIGHT 4/25 - For the record, I headed to Peter C's this night to report on the double-bill of Choking Faith and The Grimm, and a bunch of semi-naked women got in the way when I tried to photograph the equipment! (If you believe that, I have acres of land in Antarctica I'd like to sell you.). Yes, it was the night of “Bikini Contest 3” at Peter C’s, and it was all good. I arrived midway through Choking Faith’s set, and observed as this group cleansed the room of all impurities with their set of scathing metal sounds. Guitarists Dan and Punkinhead sliced and diced with razor-sharp fretboard fireworks and monster chords, and frontman Jason was pure evil on voice. Several original songs plus versions of Down’s “New Orleans Is A Dying Whore,” Sepultura’s “Roots” and Machine Head’s “Davidian” all sounded ferocious and merciless, and had Peter C’s paying full attention. After their set concluded, Dan handed me a copy of the group’s new 3-song EP – in a word, BADASS!!! The Bikini Contest then took place, with six contestants (seven if you count Bob from The Grimm, but his bikini was covered up and he was disqualified). All strode and shook their talents onstage to the rabid cheers of the mostly male viewership, who then voted on the participants. When the dust cleared, the Peter C’s waitressing tandem of Ang and Theresa captured first and second place respectively (hometown crowd, what did ya expect?) The Grimm then provided the nightcap, mixing numerous “Resurruption” and other originals with select hard-hitting tunes from Alice In Chains, Tool, Motley Crue, Black Sabbath, and a surprise rendition of the Beatles’ “Helter Skelter.” And Bob’s Big Bad Bag’o’Stuff made its nightly appearance (I procured an agricultural implement, a packet of garden seeds). Making the night more festive was that it was Chell’s birthday; I didn’t get any good drunken chair-dancing photos this night! A fun evening was had by all.

Choking Faith, cleansing the room of impurities before the bikini contest.

Jason of Choking Faith.

Punkinhead of Choking Faith.

Peter C’s Bikini Contest is under way.

Contestant #6, and eventual winner, Ang.

The Bikini Contest contestants, including Bob from The Grimm in his medieval dungeon-era bikini…

Bob receives the accolades of his adoring minion.

Bob and ‘Baby,’ striking a pose for the Rockpage camera…

The contestants and audience cheer as Ang is voted the winner.

Big John and Bikini Contest runner-up, Theresa.

The Grimm begins the post-Bikini Contest celebration.

Kent Tonkin of The Grimm.

Ron Brode of The Grimm.

Big Bad Bob from The Grimm receives some audience assistance during the singing of “Suckupon.”

Kirk “Otto” Tonkin of The Grimm.

An audience member demonstrates his balloon hacky-sacking talents during The Grimm’s set.

Again, Otto from The Grimm.

Big Bad Bob and The Grimm.

Kent and Otto of The Grimm.

Kent and Big Bad Bob of The Grimm.

Offering a different slant on The Grimm…

SATURDAY NIGHT 4/26 - Day job and night job collided in the early going, as I caught a set from Not Them Guys at Blue Knob Clubhouse Bar & Grill following a Q94 live broadcast. The crowd was already fired up from a hot dog-eating contest during the broadcast (the winner won ZZ Top concert tickets, but the dogs were slopped up with numerous condiments, including jalapenos, and the contestants had to eat EVERYTHING). Steve Shiffler and Jim High sounded good and harmonized well on tunes from the Beatles, Sister Hazel, Marshall Tucker Band, Georgia Satellites and more. The highlight of their first set, though, was Steve’s daughter, Autumn, stepping to the mic and demonstrating her excellent voice on country tunes from Dixie Chicks (not the most popular group to cover these days, evidenced by a few catcalls of “Dixie Chicks suck!” from the audience), Alison Krause and Patsy Cline/Lee Ann Rimes. Despite the Dixie Chicks song, the audience quickly warmed up to Autumn’s vocal talents, enough so that when a hat was passed around in her behalf, it filled quickly with bills! After the set, the crowd was treated to a wet T-shirt contest. Before the band started their second set, though, a brawl broke out, and the rest of the Q94 contingent and I decided to depart at this point…

Before Not Them Guys performed, Q94 Calendar Girl Kim celebrates as an audience member wins a colorful pair of boxer shorts.

More gratuitous Calendar Girl shots, Billie Jo and Kim give away prizes from atop the bar…

The hot dog eating contest; I hope these contestants had their Alka Seltzers ready for later in the night…

Steve Shiffler of Not Them Guys and daughter Autumn, singing to the Blue Knob Clubhouse audience.

Again, Autumn Shiffler, fronting Not Them Guys.

After descending the mountain from Blue Knob, I headed to the Victory Lane Saloon to check in with Bleech. At least a few fans were in the house (including two members of The Grimm representing) as Bleech kicked into their last set of the night, mixing a number of classic-geared original songs – both from their "Faded Memories" CD and several newer numbers – with classics from AC/DC, BTO, Neil Young, Jimi Hendrix and more. Highlights included the rowdy version of Chuck Berry’s “Reelin’ & Rockin,’” where drummer Bud’s chicken got choked; and the night-closing renditions of Neil Young’s “Like A Hurricane” and Jimi Hendrix’s “Voodoo Chile,” where guitarist Mike Harper unleashed the beast on his axe and went full-tilt on the distortion, feedback and other guitar abuse, making for an intense display. As expected, Bleech was good for some rowdy, straight-down-the-middle, rock’n’roll fun. A good time.

Bill Haney of Bleech.

Mike Harper of Bleech.

Bud Beals of Bleech.

Mike Harper of Bleech, let the guitar insanity begin!

Again, Mike Harper of Bleech.

What the hell is Mike doing to that guitar!?

Again, Mike Harper and Bleech.

And yet more Mike Harper guitar fireworks…

SUNDAY AFTERNOON 4/27 - The 13th annual "Crazy Fest" Amateur Talent Show took place at the Greenwood Firehall in Altoona, as young entertainers from Cresson to Reedsville and points in between strutted their talents onstage for awards, trophies, and their moment in the limelight. With the talent level seemingly improving every year, I always enter this event wondering how this year's cast of performers can possibly top the year before. Guess what? They did it again! The talent level for this year's "Crazy Fest" was incredible, particularly in the upper age divisions. And the audience and yours truly were served notice of some excellent young performers whose names you can expect to hear plenty from in the coming months and years.

While introducing the show, host Dennie Huber was quick to assure contestants and their families that "Crazy Fest" isn't like "American Idol" or the nationally-televised talent search programs where contestants are bashed and torn apart by judges; every performer is supported and encouraged at "Crazy Fest." Dennie added that the superstar judges on these national shows should remember back to where they came from and how tough it likely was for them to get started in the entertainment world.

”Crazy Fest” organizer, executive director and emcee, Dennie Huber.

After former "Crazy Fest" winner and guest judge Crystal Marie sang the National Anthem to start the afternoon, the "Crazy Fest" competition began with the age 6 and under division. Only one contestant in this division this year, so Carley Ingold of Cresson brought home the gold with her lighthearted performance of "Put On A Happy Face." Several youngsters performed in the age 7-9 division. A young clog dancer, Athena Rice of Hollidaysburg, won this division. (My favorite performer was 7-year-old Mikey Pfeffer of Hollidaysburg, playing John Denver's "Take Me Home Country Roads" on the banjo - the instrument was bigger than he was!) Next was an exhibition performer, a former Crazy Fest winner and current performer on the festival circuit, 8-year-old Elaini Arthur sang a song she wrote called "My Angel," leading to the first entrant in the amateur band division, Animosity.

Young Mikey Pfeffer, pickin’ and a’grinnin.’

Because of the setting up of instruments and equipment plus soundchecking, the amateur band division of Crazy Fest was spread out throughout the day; and Animosity was the first of three bands to perform. A young junior-high-aged foursome from the Altoona area, Animosity played a hard-rocking, punkish-leaning instrumental. The group sounded pretty solid on their instruments given their ages, and the instrumental they performed featured a few interesting chord and tempo shifts. Obviously these guys sank some time into creating it. A good showing for Animosity; it's quite possible you will be seeing these musicians down the road on area stages.

Animosity kicks off the “Crazy Fest” band division.

Because of the large number of the entrants in the ages 10-12 division, Dennie Huber used his "executive director" powers at Crazy Fest to split the division into two divisions, 10-11 and 12 years old. In the 10-11-year-old division, Marci Crawford of Claysburg - decked in a colorful outfit - won with her jazz-dance performance. In the 12-year-old class, Tesla Rice of Hollidaysburg - older sister of the aforementioned Athena - likewise won for her clog-dancing performance. This division also featured an aspiring young drummer, 12-year-old Alex Hilton of Duncansville, pounding out the beat to Journey's "Separate Ways." After this division concluded, Crystal Marie made her second appearance of the afternoon to sing a country song. In introducing her, Dennie Huber mentioned that Crystal performed at her first "Crazy Fest" when she was 5 years old. Now 17, Crystal has evolved into a first-rate performer who combines a great singing voice with poise and a friendly stage persona; it was easy to see by this performance why she is very much in demand on the festival and fair circuit. Crystal is putting her talents to good use; she recently performed in front of 5,000 kids at PNC Park in Pittsburgh, as part of an anti-drug rally.

Crystal Marie gives an exhibition performance at “Crazy Fest.”

Next was the 13-15 division, and three entrants. Jayme Lee of Williamsburg, doing a modern dance routine, won top honors over good vocal performances by Altoona's Kristin Zircosky and Brittany Bovard. This was followed by the second entrant in the amateur band division, Altoona trio Destroy Elroy. Destroy Elroy gave a strong showing, playing a high-powered punk-driven number. This was the strongest I've heard from this teenaged trio yet; they will be appearing at Teenfest near the Altoona Area High School June 21. Following Destroy Elroy was another exhibition performer, singer and former "Crazy Fest" winner Pam Dietrich.

Kristin Zircosky of Altoona demonstrates her singing skills at “Crazy Fest.”

Entrant number two in the “Crazy Fest” amateur band division, Destroy Elroy.

While the talent had been good at "Crazy Fest" thus far, the best was yet to come; and business was to pick up dramatically as the contest entered the 16-17 age division. Any of the six performers who took the stage during this division could have won top honors, they were all stellar in their performances. Angela Dodson of Roaring Spring, Autumn Shiffler of Altoona (daughter of Not Them Guys frontman Steve Shiffler, in the audience and taping her performance) and Lauren Albright of East Freedom all did excellent work on country songs; Jacqueline Chilcote of Altoona showed a remarkable voice on a Broadway-type show tune; and Crystal Noonan of Altoona did a very nice job singing an R&B number. But it was Anthony Harrison of Altoona who took the top honors, singing and playing the keyboard. Anthony performed an R&B-geared song he had just written two days before, and demonstrated an excellent voice reminiscent of 70's-era soul. Anthony was excellent as a soloist, and he wasn't finished just yet.

Autumn Shiffler sings Patsi Cline’s “Blue” during “Crazy Fest.”

A proud father videotapes his daughter’s performance.

Anthony Harrison gives his “Crazy Fest”-winning performance.

After another exhibition performance from Lewistown country singer and "Crazy Fest" judge Chris Ruble, it was time for the final age division of "Crazy Fest," the 19-21 division. Here we witnessed three performers, starting with repeat "Crazy Fest" contestant Don Hughes of Altoona, who did an interesting medley of rock songs on keyboard; seguing Van Halen's "Right Now" into the "Rocky" theme into Journey's "Open Arms" into Metallica's One," before returning to "Right Now" to conclude the medley. Except for a meltdown while seguing into "Rocky," Don showed a lot of talent on the keys; he wound up the second runner up. Next was Biranda "Honey Brown" Goodman," singing an original R&B/hip-hop-geared tune; she demonstrated a strong voice and showed lots of passion and intensity in her performance, leading to her winning top honors. And Biranda's friend, Elisha Gonzales, also did an R&B-geared pop ballad, also showing off a quality singing voice. Again, the talent level displayed at this point of the show was incredible! The day's last exhibition performer, Typhani Russo, sang a selection from the musical "Jekyll & Hyde," and received a lifetime achievement award from host Dennie Huber (presented to a past "Crazy Fest" winner who has gone on to bigger success in the entertainment industry).

Don Hughes of Altoona rocks out on the keys.

Biranda Goodman, during her “Crazy Fest”-winning performance.

Also showing off a good voice, Elisha Gonzales.

Performing in exhibition, Typhani Russo.

The next category was the duos. Five different duos of various ages did a wide range of performances, from young Mikey and Danielle Pfeffer’s piano duet rendition of “America The Beautiful” to Kayla Shriver and Jeremy Dellinger’s hip-hop dance routine; from the sister duo of Athena and Tesla Rice’s clog-dancing duet to Angela Dodson and Lauren Albright teaming for an excellent-sounding country singing duet. But the winners in this division were the young sister duo of Kelsey and Devon Ingold of Cresson, doing the show tune “Anything You Can Do I Can do Better.” These two youngsters (and younger sister Carley) appear to have a bright future in theatre stage performing; they already have the enthusiasm and acting abilities down, and their voices are developing fine. After this division was completed, Dennie Huber presented the first ever “Crazy Fest Hall of Fame” Award, given to a past “Crazy Fest” winner who has gone on to do well in the entertainment business, and give something back to the contest over the years. The first recipient of this award was Crystal Marie.

In the duo division, Mikey and Danielle Pfeffer.

Next was the final entrant in the band division, SingNature & the Sound Brigade. Central PA, get ready for this group! Billing themselves as the area’s first hip-hop soul group, SingNature & the Sound Brigade performed an original slow soul groove number, “The Game.” The song featured three singers – Biranda Goodman and Chet Denni as the primary co-ed female/male lead singers, and keyboard man Anthony Harrison chiming in on the choruses. Jarret Bickel plays the guitar, and Justin Grimminger the bass. This song sounded smooth and sweet, with both Biranda’s and Chet’s voices complementing each other, with some soulful passion and drama in the lyrics, too! This was the band that captured top honors for the amateur band division, and I could easily envision this band playing on a hit radio station someday soon if they keep at it and get their music out there. (You can catch SingNature & the Sound Brigade this Friday night at the Ground Floor Coffeehouse in Altoona.)

Eventual winners of “Crazy Fest’s” amateur band division, SingNature & the Sound Brigade.

After this, the hardware was handed out, with all age division awards presented, the duo and band awards, plus a few other awards. The "Fan Favorite" Awards, as voted by the fans, went to Animosity, 1st runner up Brittany Matthews from Reedsville and 2nd runner up Destroy Elroy. Typhani Russo and her family introduced two awards this year: the "Broadway Bound" Award went to Kelsey and Devon Ingold, and the "TNT" ("Top Notch Talent") Award went to Angela Dodson. And the "Future Star" Awards, given out to the performers the judges deem to have the most potential for a successful career in entertainment, were issued in two age classes. In the 15 and under class, young Carley Ingold of Cresson won top honors; and in the 16 and older class, Anthony Harrison captured top honors.

”Crazy Fest” top winners: 1st (front) row: Carley Ingold. 2nd row: Athena Rice, Marci Crawford, Kelsey Ingold. 3rd row: Jayme Lee, Devon Ingold, Tesla Rice. 4th row: Anthony Harrison, Biranda Goodman, Chet Denni, Justin Grimminger, Jarret Bickel (all five performers are from the band SingNature & the Sound Brigade).

Another "Crazy Fest" had concluded, and I was quite amazed by the talent I witnessed this afternoon. If this year's "Crazy Fest" provided a preview of faces we will see on our area's music scene in a few years, the scene's future is very bright indeed!

SUNDAY NIGHT 4/27 - Green Eggs made their first visit to the 'Toona in 2 years, wrapping up the weekend at Pellegrine's. Among the reasons Green Eggs finally returned to Pellegrine's were that they always had a good time there, and the big reason - Harry Jr. has the coldest Jagermeister on the East Coast! Altoona showed Green Eggs some love in the early going, as a brawl broke out before the band even started playing! It took the Pelly's audience into the second set to finally start populating the dance floor, but the festivities finally heated up as Green Eggs played their nonstop mix of tunes, spanning modern rock, rap and hip-hop favorites to classics, country and more. The group's show remains nonstop high energy, with Brian Nicarry, Brad Nicarry and Steve Nelson continually swapping lead vocal duties, jumping up and down and taking the party to the audience. Lots of songs became audience singalongs, such as the Steve-sung version of Garth Brooks' "Friends in Low Places," Neil Diamond's "Sweet Caroline," Dexy's Midnight Runners' "Come On Eileen" and more. This band has become a well-tuned party machine, Green Eggs shifts the party into high gear from the get-go and never lets up! Fortunately, no apparent further brawl problems the rest of the night, and in all, a good party to close the weekend.

Brad Nicarry of Green Eggs.

Steve Nelson of Green Eggs.

Again, Steve Nelson of Green Eggs.

Brian Nicarry of Green Eggs.

Caught in mid-jump, Brad Nicarry of Green Eggs.

Steven Nelson of Green Eggs, singing about his ‘friends in low places.’

Doug Black of Green Eggs.

Again, Brian Nicarry of Green Eggs.

Green Eggs, partying down Pellegrines.

Taking over lead mic, Brian Nicarry of Green Eggs.

Girls just wanna have fun during Green Eggs’ party at Pellegrines.

Oooh Baby! Baby (that’s her name), belly dancing for the Rockpage camera. (I love this job!)
 Back to top »
ROCKPAGE Forum Index » JP's Corner
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: