· The Forums
· The Final Cut
WEEKEND RECAP 7/14/03
ROCKPAGE Forum Index » JP's Corner
previous topic :: next topic  
Jim Price

Post Posted: Monday Aug 04, 2003 

WEEKEND RECAP 7/14/03:

THE 2003 WING OFF CHRONICLES, CHAPTER I: SQUARE ONE @ LAKEMONT PARK, ALTOONA 7/10/03

This Thursday night became a band tripleheader for me, starting with Square One at the kickoff to the 2003 Lakemont Park Wing-Offs.

Can you say "monsoon?" It had been overcast and spitting showers all day long, and the forecast called for more of the same this night, with steadier rain later on. I had checked the weather radar before heading out to the Wing Off, and saw rain on the approach. So I wasn't at all surprised that we got rain during the kickoff Wing Off, but I was surprised by the torrential downpours that prevailed as the evening progressed.

Fortunately, there was still at least some crowd in attendance to consume wings and watch Square One. But it wasn't nearly the large crowd that usually attends the first Wing-Off each year. The rain-stunted crowd also meant virtually no waiting time in line to get wings, so I quickly procured my initial batch from the Mueller's Pub pavilion. (Mueller's hot garlic wings kick total ass!) And as the rain-fearful crowd was largely hanging out under the pavilions instead of the stagefront picnic bench area in front of Square One, I had my pick of picnic benches to set up shop and observe Square One from.

Square One - these days the trio of singer/guitarist Don Osborn, bassist Bill Hunter and drummer Jeff Crownover - entertained with their mix of 60's, 70's and 80's classic rock from the Beatles, Van Morrison, ZZ Top, Robert Palmer, Wilson Pickett, Rare Earth, Doors, Bryan Adams and more. The band was instrumentally solid, and Don showed good range on voice, particularly on higher-ranged numbers like Roy Orbison's "Oh Pretty Woman" and Wilson Pickett's "Mustang Sally."

The group maintained their composure and good sense of humor as the rains began to fall on the Wing Off. I had just finished my first batch of wings, so I quickly retreated back under the sound tent (being a PA Musician/Rockpage correspondent has its privileges), and was joined by local singing legend Jerrone Barnes. Square One advertised for contestants to step forward for a wet T-shirt contest, and a wet jockey shorts contest. As the rains became steadier and heavier, the group began to dodge raindrops as leaks developed in the stage area roof. What crowd there was did largely stick around during the rains, but stayed dry under the wing and beer pavilions a short distance from Square One and the stage.

So it was a soggy and inauspicious start to this year's Lakemont Park Wing-Off's. The wings and music were good, but the huge Wing-Off crowds would have to wait at least another week, when the weather would hopefully be better.

Square One, at a dryer moment, during the Wing-Off.

And the rains come pouring down as Square One rocks at the Wing-Off.

Don Osborn of Square One.

Bill Hunter of Square One.

Not even monsoon-like rain conditions could thwart Bobby “The Lakemonster” (left) from partying down with Square One.

FAT VINNY & THE WISEGUYS @ BEERBELLIES, DUNCANSVILLE 7/10/03

After the Wing-Off, I made my way to Beerbellies in Duncansville to check in with Fat Vinny & the Wiseguys. This was actually my first time seeing a band at this venue since it became Beerbellies; I had seen a few bands here during the venue's past life as Mike's Brass Rail Lounge.

It was still raining the proverbial cats and dogs as I made my way out old Route 22 to Beerbellies, and the heavy rains were likely a factor in the sparse attendance this night. Fat Vinny, Dawg and Mark made the best of it, firing off blues and blues-rocking originals, select covers, and even a few audience requests along the way. I heard at least one new original tune, “Rock Me Baby;” plus versions of Muddy Waters’ “Mannish Boy” (by request), Van Morrison’s “Tupelo Honey,” Willie Dixon’s “Back Door Man,” B.B. King’s “The Thrill Is Gone” and more; this is the first time I’ve heard the Wiseguys break out “Crème-Filled Blues” in quite a while. The group ended the night with their double-entendre ditty, “Vet Bill Blues,” with Randy “Dawg” Ketner kicking the tune off with a Thorogood “One Bourbon, One Scotch, One Beer”-styled rant. Cool stuff. Fat Vinny & the Wiseguys may have rocked four walls this night, but rock them they did.

Fat Vinny & the Wiseguys bluesing out at Beerbellies.

Fat Vinny belts out the blues.

FELIX & THE HURRICANES @ PETER C’S, ALTOONA 7/10/03

After the Wiseguys finished at around midnight, I headed back into the ‘Toona to finish out the night with Felix & the Hurricanes at Peter C’s. A few more people were here than at the previous Beerbellies gig, but rain still appeared to stunt the crowd for the ‘Canes this night as well. But it did not stunt the music. I caught the last two songs of the Hurricanes’ second set, versions of Lynyrd Skynyrd’s “Simple Man” and the Jeff Clapper-fronted edition of the Doors’ “Love Me Two Times.” For the third set, the ‘Canes gave the Peter C’s audience a bluesy take on the Beatles’ “Something,” and broke out tunes from Stevie Ray Vaughan, ZZ Top, the original tune “Little Ears,” and for the finale, the unlikely pairing of Lynyrd Skynyrd’s “The Ballad of Curtis Lowe” seguing directly into Ted Nugent’s “Cat Scratch Fever.” The Hurricanes’ onstage mood was laid-back and relaxed, and the fans in the house were festive and appreciative. A good end to the weekend’s Thursday kickoff.

The Hurricanes, tearing it up at Peter C’s.

In the heat of slamming out the beat, Bob Watters of The Hurricanes.

THE GRIMM/SPINEBELT @ PETER C’S, ALTOONA 7/11/03

It had been at least two or three years since Harrisburg’s Spinebelt last played in the Altoona area, so I took in Spinebelt’s return visit to Peter C’s this night, as half of an original metallic double-bill with The Grimm.

Since their last visit, Spinebelt has further developed their style, sound and live show, and has become one of the more talked-about bands out of the Harrisburg area, particularly in the music industry. I was curious to see how Spinebelt’s style of rock would go over, particularly with the original music community that usually supports The Grimm.

Peter C’s wasn’t heavily populated when I first arrived, and I hoped that at least a few more curious music fans would show up and catch at least part of Spinebelt’s set. Spinebelt soon commenced their set, opening with the turbulent “Change Adapt Evolve” from their latest CD, “Beautiful Songs for Ugly Children.” Although recent throat surgery prevented him from singing backing vocals this night, keyboard man Josh Warsteiner’s presence was still strongly felt, as he used his keys and electronics to paint terse aural images; cold industrial settings and backdrops. Atop those textures, Butch Lloyd generated swarming guitar rhythms, and barked out desolate vocals evoking angst and anger, and bassist Bill Atkinson accented the songs with his trademark bestial growl, which has become almost an instrument unto itself in the Spinebelt framework. The group proceeded to mix material from their albums and EP’s, including “Buckle & Strap,” “It’s All Running Out,” their breakthrough song “Christopher Walken,” the current single “Losing All,” “The Politics of Breaking Down,” the uptempo “Mother Blood and Moving Earth,” “Army of One” and “Needle, Prick.” Along the way, more audience members arrived, including one fan who went gung-ho over drummer John K’s slamming beats, screaming and whooping it up from the bar-level ‘peanut gallery’ to cheer John on. Spinebelt finished their set with a surprise, at least for anybody who has seen them before; the group broke out a cover song, interpreting Nine Inch Nails’ “Head Like A Hole.” Spinebelt didn’t simply cover the song, but transformed it into their own unique style and sound. Supportive response steadily grew as Spinebelt’s set progressed, and the audience started connecting with what Spinebelt was about. It was likely the best crowd and response Spinebelt has seen of their visits to this area thus far. (And at least this time, the lead singer of the other band didn’t get the crap beaten out of him in the parking lot!)

After a brief intermission, The Grimm commenced their set, starting with their trademark opener “Enough.” Like Spinebelt, The Grimm mixed songs from throughout their song library, tapping both their self-titled album, their recent “resurruption” release, and even their “Cleansing the Pit” EP of early material. After “My God It’s Full of Stars” and “Burning Embers,” singer Bob Lee broke out the ‘Big Bad Bag’O’Stuff ‘ (I came away with a Chinese manufacture diecast Ferrari, probably the closest I’ll ever come to owning a Ferrari). The group also did “Forced Reflection,” “Suicide Knob,” “Dead Time,” “Fade,” and “Black Sheep,” before Bob led the group in a rowsing rendition of the tomfoolery anthem “Suckupon,” recruiting unsuspecting audience members – including Rockpage reporters – to sing the explicit lyrics. The group continued with “Flatline Part I,” “Raise The Line,” a version of Tool’s “Aenima,” and ended the night with “Angry & Shirtless.”

While not a huge crowd, at least it was a supportive and appreciative crowd this night, and it is likely that both bands won at least a few new fans this night.

Butch Lloyd of Spinebelt.

Josh Warsteiner of Spinebelt.

Spinebelt introduces Peter C’s to their harsh musical world.

Bill Atkinson of Spinebelt unleashes the beast.

John K of Spinebelt.

Spinebelt, again delivering the intensity at Peter C’s.

Again, John K of Spinebelt.

Again, Butch Lloyd of Spinebelt.

One more time with charm, John K of Spinebelt, slamming out the beat.

The Grimm kicks off the nightcap at Peter C’s.

Kent Tonkin of The Grimm.

Big Bad Bob of The Grimm.

Otto of The Grimm.

Once again, The Grimm capping a night of fiery original rock at Peter C’s.

A Phantom X guy, hard at work.

Behind the bar, Ashley and Julia.

CENTRAL PENNSYLVANIA FESTIVAL OF THE ARTS, STATE COLLEGE 7/12/03

Believe it or not, I did something this day that I have not done in 20 years…I actually attended the Central PA Festival of the Arts in State College! I know what you’re thinking, why haven’t I been to this thing in 20 years? Part of it was fear of the driving hassles getting there, dealing with finding parking spaces, heavy traffic, etc. Part of it also was that there were either other events or work-related stuff going on during Arts Festival weekend that took priority. And then there was the bad PR regarding student riots a few years ago. But this year, the planets aligned correctly, and I had no prior commitments. Plus, you can now pay the five bucks and park at Beaver Stadium, and take the free shuttle bus downtown to the Festival (far less stressful and worth the five bucks, the shuttles come by every 5-10 minutes).

As expected, downtown State College was a mass of humanity for the Arts Festival. After first procuring some food upon my arrival, I headed to the Allen Street stage to catch part of Eric Himan’s set. I caught Eric’s last three songs; the original songs “Did Ya Know” and “The Man You Had In Mind,” and a version of Charlie Daniels/Lynyrd Skynyrd’s “Simple Man” to end the set. Singing and playing acoustic guitar, Eric took time to introduce and explain a little bit about every song before he began. What I heard from Eric was interesting and insightful; hopefully I’ll get to catch more of this performer down the road.

A large crowd takes in Eric Himan’s performance at the Arts Festival.

Eric Himan.

From there, I headed to the Festival main stage, in front of Old Main on the Penn State main campus. Maxwell Strait had just begun their set as I arrived, and I sat down on the stagefront lawn to observe. This band had blown me away before, and this day they did it again! Now seven members strong with the recent addition of former Original Soul Project keyboard man Mark Daubert, Maxwell Strait put on an incredible set loaded with premium musicianship, enthusiasm, excitement and sass! The group blended several styles of attack, from rock to pop to blues to funk, mixing original songs and select remakes. Each song enabled various members of this band to shine. The sly and jazzy “Babblefish” showcased the sultry voice of frontlady Molly Countermine, while “Shake Everything You Got” allowed her to showcase her trumpet-playing abilities. The funky “You Can Stay (But That Noise Gotta Go)” shifted the attention to drummer Jack Wilkinson (formerly of Queen Bee & the Blue Hornet Band), who sang lead. Ted McCloskey flashed hot lead guitarwork throughout the set, and showcased his songwriting and singing abilities on “Siamese Sisters” from his solo album from last year, “One Man Misery Parade.” But Ted can also blow some harp, evidenced on the bluesy “Sweet Honky Tonk,” with acoustic guitarist Scott Mangene singing some sassy lead. Another song, “Lonely,” finished with a round-robin solo run-through showcasing Molly, Ted, Jack, Mark, bassist Rene Witzske and sax player Terry Owen. The group finished their set with two remakes; the Scott-fronted version of “Steamroller Blues,” and the uptempo rocking version of Al Green’s “Take Me To The River.” Maxwell Strait are seven players at the top of their game, mixing it up constantly and never staying in one place for too long. Backed by an excellent sound system that gave them punch, balance and crispness, Maxwell Strait kept me and the rest of the audience awestruck by their tightness and talent. This set was perhaps the strongest I’ve seen from them yet, making it a certainty that I will be making nore roadtrips to their weekly Happy Valley hangouts to catch more shows.

Scott Mangene and Ted McCloskey of Maxwell Strait.

Ted McCloskey of Maxwell Strait.

Molly Countermine of Maxwell Strait.

Terry Owen of Maxwell Strait.

Again, Scott Mangene and Ted McCloskey of Maxwell Strait.

On the trumpet, Molly Countermine of Maxwell Strait.

Mark Daubert of Maxwell Strait.

I then headed back to the Allen Street stage to check in with Mike Swavely & the Chrome Magnatones. This group specializes in the early sound of rock’n’roll, tapping rock’s roots with original songs and tunes from Elvis, Carl Perkins, Johnny Horton, Commander Cody, Johnny Rivers and more. Band singer and ringleader Mike Swavely doesn’t just perform this music, he LIVES this music onstage, doing the movements, mannerisms, Elvis hip gyrations and the whole nine yards! He and the Chrome Magnatones kept the Arts Fest crowd happy with tunes like Johnny Rivers’ “Secret Agent Man,” Commander Cody’s “Hot Rod Lincoln,” Elvis’ “Little Sister,” “I Can’t Help Falling In Love with You” and “Suspicious Minds” (with double-time ending), Johnny Horton’s “Battle of New Orleans” and even a version of Stray Cats’ “Rock This Town.” Mike also dug into his own archives for “Brown-Eyed Handsome Man,” the title song from one of his previous bands, Mike Swavely & the Brown-Eyed Handsome Men. This was fun set that had much of the seated and standing masses grooving along.

Mike Swavely & the Chrome Magnatones entertain on the Allen Street Stage.

Designated hitter on guitar this day, Dave Mudgett of Mike Swavely & the Chrome Magnatones.

Rockin’ and a rollin,’ Mike Swavely.

After procuring some dinnertime edibles, I returned to the main stage to see Michelle Willson and the Evil Gal Festival Orchestra. I had seen this band for the first time last year at Johnstown Folkfest; they dazzled again this day. The group’s obvious focal point is frontlady Michelle Willson, who belted out powerful bluesy voice on her group’s selection of original songs and blues-geared remakes. Michelle and her band tapped into several obscure and lesser-known artists; such as 50’s soul singer Ann Cole and big band performer Buddy Johnson, doing the latter’s “They Don’t Want Me to Rock No More” to finish their set. Michelle was an upfront, robust performer who commanded the audience’s attention, and her band was tight and solid behind her.

Michelle Willson & the Evil Gal Festival Orchestra.

After Michelle Willson's set concluded, I checked out a few of the art tents along the sidewalk, and returned to the Allen Street stage one more time, to check out Urban Fusion. This collaboration of State College area musicians has been playing Happy Valley stages for over a dozen years, performing their blend of jazz, blues, funk and pop. The group fused these styles together during this set, mixing original compositions with select remakes. They did a progressive jazz-flavored piece called “Mother Earth,” and with Abe Byrne handling lead voice, a version of Joan Osborne’s “Spiderweb.” They mixed several light funk and jazz numbers, and finished with a danceable composition dedicated to a group of audience members who had congregated to dance and groove at stagefront. Urban Fusion’s musicianship was excellent, with drummer Ephraim McKenzie and percussionist/conga player Andrew Jackson, Sr. supplying busy and steady rhythms and Tom Jordan the full-sounding bass to underscore the sound. Duane Bullock furnished tasty sax work; Chris Byrne provided flute, sax and keyboard work; and Abe Byrne played flute and keys, plus demonstrated a smooth and rangeful singing voice. For me, Urban Fusion was a nice discovery, and ended my 2003 Arts Festival experience on a high note.

As the sun sets, Urban Fusion lights up the evening at the Allen Street Stage.

Abe Byrne and Andrew Jackson of Urban Fusion.

Urban Fusion breaks out the brass at the Arts Festival.

Chris Byrne, Ephraim McKenzie and Abe Byrne of Urban Fusion.

BUCK-IT @ THE WILDWOOD INN, GRAMPIAN 7/12/03

After leaving the Arts Festival, I roadtripped to the Wildwood Inn near Grampian to check out Buck-It. It was an interesting journey getting there. First, Philipsburg was celebrating Heritage Days, and I was passing through town just as their fireworks display started lighting up the night. Route 879 between Curwensville and Grampian was still closed due to road work; but thanks to the local shortcut detour that Calvin Walls and Wildwood owner Tammy told me about when I was at the Wildwood two weeks prior, I easily wound my way around the roadwork, and arrived at the Wildwood just as the opening band, X-Calibur, was finishing up their set.

I hadn't known that there was an opening band on the bill this night; I watched as X-Calibur did a decent job on a version of Metallica's "Fade to Black" to conclude their set. From Dubois and together three years, X-Calibur features lead singer and rhythm guitarist Paul McCloskey, lead guitarist Jaysun Shimmel, bassist Dario Wayne and drummer Brian Wells. Eyewitness accounts all gave X-Calibur a big thumbs up; hopefully I'll get to catch a full set from them soon.

Buck-It had undergone some personnel changes since the first time I had seen them (actually, at their debut performance at the first Boyd-a-Thon benefit in fall of 2000 at Electric Avenue in Houtzdale). Two members of that original line-up remain: guitarist Bob Haight and drummer Dave Read. Matt Morgan now plays bass, and Greg Mallon has taken over lead mic duties. Buck-It mixed hard-hitting current and classic rock over their two sets, from names like Seven Mary Three, Ted Nugent, Local H, Collective Soul, Pearl Jam, Metallica, Stone Temple Pilots and more. During their first set, the group pulled out a few lesser-known heavy-rocking covers, which seemed to work against their building any early momentum on the dance floor. As the group got past the set's midway point, though, the tempo stayed upbeat and the song list familiar, and the dancefloor stayed busier through the rest of the set. Bob's guitar was undermixed during the first set, but this problem appeared to get resolved during the group's nightcap set. Once all cylinders were firing, Buck-It generated a good, solid rocking party that kept the Wildwood festive. The group was instrumentally powerful, highlighted by Dave's sharp and busy beats and Bob's accurate guitar leads. Greg gave an upbeat performance and demonstrated a solid, powerful voice.

In all, a good performance from Buck-It. If they can shift a few songs around and improve their overall pacing, I think this group has the potential for an excellent run on area stages. And based on the huge turnout this night, the Wildwood Inn will likely continue to be one of this group's regular tour stops.

There were Buck-It beer specials to go along with Buck-It music this night at the Wildwood Inn.

Matt Morgan of Buck-It.

Dave Read of Buck-It.

Greg Mallon of Buck-It.

Bob Haight of Buck-It.

Bob Haight and Greg Mallon of Buck-It.

FELIX & THE HURRICANES "BIKINI BLUES CRUISE" ABOARD THE "PROUD MARY" @ LAKE RAYSTOWN 7/13/03

The lure of sun, blues and bikinis was too much for me to resist, so I headed to Lake Raystown to take in the Hurricanes' "Bikini Blues Cruise" aboard the Proud Mary. I attended my first Hurricanes “Blues Cruise” late last October, and had a great time enjoying fall foliage and the ‘Canes’ music on the lake. This summertime “Blues Cruise” promised to be a good time as well.

The weather conditions were near perfect, with clear blue skies and temperatures in the upper 70’s as designated wheelman Big Jim and I arrived in time to enjoy some of the pre-cruise picnic under the pavilion, complete with hot wings and brew! The mood was festive as the cruise participants made their way to the dock and boarded the “Proud Mary.” The cast of revelers this day included many regular “Hurricaniacs,” a contingent from Peter C’s, and several musical guests, including representatives from the Flame Sky and Acid Reflux organizations, and more. The boat left the dock nearly perfectly on schedule at 5 PM. As the boat departed the dock, the Hurricanes got underway with their performance of original songs, southern, classic and blues-rock favorites. The Allman Brothers’ “Blue Skys,” the Jeff Clapper-sung “I Got A Line On You,” and Stevie Ray Vaughan’s “Pride and Joy” quickly had several folks up and dancing on the upper deck. We soon noticed a growing flotilla of smaller boats following the “Proud Mary,” as other boaters were apparently enjoying the musical entertainment. The musical guests started making their presence known during the Allman Brothers’ “No One to Run With,” as Kent Martin broke out the flute and piped accompaniment, also lending some Ian Anderson-like flute flavor to Jethro Tull’s “Locomotive Breath.” The party continued with tunes such as Rufus Thomas’ “Barefootin’” and Ted Nugent’s “Stranglehold,” before the second musical guest of the cruise, former Bottoms Up/Shattered China/Rapidfire frontman Steve Oswalt took over lead mic for renditions of Steppenwolf’s “Born to Be Wild” and the Doors’ “Roadhouse Blues.”

It was at some point during these two songs that the “Proud Mary” approached the Route 994 highway overpass. We had seen one of the boat’s crew come up to the upper deck and lower the exhaust stacks so the boat could clear the overpass; but only as we drew nearer to it did we notice that the overpass was almost exactly at eye level with everybody on the upper deck! With all the recent rains in our region, we figured Lake Raystown’s water level would be higher, but we didn’t think this high! Everybody sounded ample warnings atop the upper deck, and as the boat’s high points cleared the bottom of the overpass by mere inches (2-3” by my estimation, tight fit!), we laughed as everybody – musicians included – had to duck down while the boat passed under the highway!

Flame Sky guitarist Jason Feathers joined the Hurricanes for a version of Lynyrd Skynyrd’s “Sweet Home Alabama” as the “Proud Mary” proceeded back towards the Coffee Run cove and under a second, HIGHER Route 994 overpass. Then, as the group performed Robin Trower’s “Too Rolling Stoned,” the comedy highlight of the cruise took place. In midsong, Felix handed his guitar to Acid Reflux’s Dwane Edmiston, took off his shirt and DOVE INTO THE LAKE FROM THE UPPER DECK! Felix’s dive was funny enough, but then the plot thickened…Apparently, this had been planned beforehand, and a friend with a jetski was supposed to pick up Felix from the lake and return him to the “Proud Mary.” We saw a jetski, but the “Proud Mary” continued to pull away from it, and the jet ski didn’t appear to be moving! Eventually, the “Proud Mary” had to turn around and head back to retrieve Felix (who caught a ride on another boat). The jet ski RAN OUT OF FUEL!

The waterlogged Hurricane climbed back aboard the boat and made his way back to the upper deck as the ‘Canes completed their extended version of “Too Rolling Stoned,” the song elongated by the wait for Felix’s return to the boat! Felix strapped his guitar back on, and the party proceeded with the Hurricanes’ recent number one song on the Garageband.com pop chart, the reggae-flavored “Talk About Love.”

By this point, the “Proud Mary” had turned around, and was on its return trip back to the dock at Lake Raystown Resort. The ‘Canes continued with more music, including several of their new songs from their forthcoming second CD. Kent Martin and his flute rejoined the band on ZZ Top’s “Tush,” and the group continued with Wilson Pickett’s “Mustang Sally.” As this song began, Big Jim noted that the “Proud Mary” was on the approach to that low Route 994 overpass once again, and he made his way forward to warn the band that they would soon have to duck again. Felix handed Big Jim his guitar, and it was Big Jim and Kent who would have to do the ducking as the boat cleared the overpass once again! Once the overpass was cleared, the music and merriment continued, with several of the ladies engaging in a hula hoop contest in front of the band. And as the “Proud Mary” made its final approach to the dock area, the Hurricanes launched into the appropriate final song to end their set – Creedence Clearwater Revival’s “Proud Mary!”

As expected and anticipated, the Hurricanes “Bikini Blues Cruise” was an excellent time, and beyond that, one of the highlights of my summer so far. As enjoyable as this cruise was, I eagerly anticipate doing it again very soon!

Happy to be blues-cruisin,’ Jeff Clapper of The Hurricanes.

Hurricane Felix, also happy to be blues-cruisin.’

Kent Martin joins Jeff Clapper and the Hurricanes on deck.

A young guest gets her first taste of a Hurricanes Blues Cruise.

Lots of happy cruisers take in the sun, the lake and the Hurricanes.

Guest singer Steve Oswalt fronts the Hurricanes.

Catching some rays and supplying the beats, Bob Watters of The Hurricanes.

The Flame Sky’s Jason Feathers joins Hurricane Felix.

Once again, Felix Kos of The Hurricanes.

”Tickets for the Blues Cruise only cost $20 a person, you didn’t have to buy a whole boat!”

Making his belated return to the “Proud Mary” after diving off the top deck, Hurricane Felix.

Even soaking wet, Felix Kos still plays a mean guitar…

Having fun on the Blues Cruise, Peter C’s Julia.

Jeff Clapper of The Hurricanes.

Joining the Hurricanes onstage, Kent Martin, “Big Jim” Ricotta, and Hurricaniac Beth Ann on the washboard.

”DU-U-UCK!! BRIDGE!!” Kent Martin and “Big Jim” crouch under the Route 994 overpass.

Why should Felix have all the fun? Hurricane Bob also decides to test the ‘watters.’

Big John and Julia of Peter C’s, enjoying the sights and sounds of the Blues Cruise.

Peter C’s Julia shows off her hula-hoop talents.

Low overpasses! Musicians diving overboard! Hula hoop contests on deck! Who is the damn captain of this boat, anyway? (Answer: The Iceman!)

Back in dock, the “Proud Mary” after another successful “Blues Cruise.

SOMETHING FLUID @ PELLEGRINE'S, ALTOONA 7/13/03

Several months and visits later after first debuting in our fair town, Something Fluid seems to be catching on more and more in the 'Toona neck of the woods. How can I tell? At least based on their forays into Pellegrine's thus far, the male members of the band have already won the hearts of Altoona Stripper Nation. And this night at least, Altoona’s freak and lunatic populace was in attendance as well. There was one bespectacled woman who kept wanting frontlady Gretchen to make an announcement, and then was nowhere to be found when Gretchen finally invited her to make the announcement! Dance floor action was insane this night as well, with the aforementioned off-duty strippers bumping and grinding with Something Fluid personnel onstage, and offstage, near sex acts taking place on the dance floor!

Oh, and during this freakshow, a band actually broke out…Something Fluid kept this party hot and upbeat with their mix of favorites from Jimmy Eats World, Bon Jovi, Beastie Boys, Lit, 80’s hair band and new wave favorites, Rage and more. I was particularly impressed with new drummer Len Lechene, this guy was total intensity and power behind the drum kit this night – no wonder Something Fluid’s party kicked ass! Singer Gretchen was the people person, working her way back and forth among the stagefront masses and taking the party to the people. While sidestepping onstage dancers and appreciative off-duty strippers, bassist Jerry, and guitarists CJ and Chris laid down solid, energized musicianship, riding atop Len’s slamming beats and supporting Gretchen’s voice.

This was a wild and crazed evening that served further notice that Something Fluid is fast becoming one of this state’s most popular onstage parties.

A constant threat to turn his kit into kindling, Something Fluid drummer Len Lechene.

Gretchen and Chris of Something Fluid fire up the stagefront revelers.

Chris of Something Fluid.

Once again, Chris and Gretchen of Something Fluid.

Chris of Something Fluid always seems to get this kind of greeting from some female fans when he visits town…

Celebrating after that last picture, Chris of Something Fluid.

Jerry of Something Fluid.
 Back to top »
ROCKPAGE Forum Index » JP's Corner
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: