· The Final Cut
WEEKEND RECAP 10/6/03
ROCKPAGE Forum Index » JP's Corner
previous topic :: next topic  
Jim Price

Post Posted: Tuesday Dec 02, 2003 

WEEKEND RECAP 10/6/03

FELIX & THE HURRICANES @ PETER C’S, ALTOONA 10/2/03

Another Thursday night, and another Thursday night when day job duties kept me late at the office, and didn’t allow me to explore other live music options, either out of town or earlier in the evening. So again, it was that ever-reliable Thursday bluesday with Felix & the Hurricanes.

I arrived just as the last set of the night was getting under way, and a decent-sized crowd was on hand, including Ron the Rockpage Webmaster! The Hurricanes began with the Rolling Stones’ double-shot of “Jumping Jack Flash” and “It’s All Over Now,” during which special guest Skip Stone of Rolling Stones tribute band Jumping Jack Flash joined the group onstage to sing the lead vocal. Skip was one of several guests to join the ‘Canes onstage this set; Steve Bidoli helped with additional percussion throughout the set. The Hurricanes kept the Peter C’s populace hootin’ and hollerin’ with their mix of original tunes and classics; eventually a guest named Ed fronted the group on a version. of ZZ Top’s “Waitin’ for the Bus/Jesus Just Left Chicago.” This led into a percussion jam between Steve Bidoli and ‘Canes drummer Bob Watters, which developed into a full band blues/rock/funk jam. The Hurricanes then brought revelers onto the dance floor with the ever-popular “Sweet Home Alabama,” before Steve took over for Bob behind the drum kit for the original tune “On The Bottom Again,” which closed the night. Although the Peter C’s fans loudly called for another song, the clock had reached 2 AM and the night was over.

Again, it was a crisp and fiery Hurricanes set, as the band, their guests and the appreciative audience fed off each other’s energy to produce another fun evening, and the appropriate jumpstart to another weekend.

The Hurricanes, with guest singer Ed.

The percussion duo of Steve Bidoli and Bob Watters.

Bob Watters of The Hurricanes.

THE FLAME SKY @ ALDO’S, ALTOONA 10/3/03

I remember the first time I ever saw The Flame Sky perform, six years ago at “Nut-a-Palooza,” an outdoor kegger party in the deep backwoods outside of Bellwood. At that point called The Flame-Sky Orchestra; guitarists Jason Feathers and Ed Brinkel, bassist Matt Burns and drummer Nate Woods introduced a nearly all-instrumental fusion of rock, jazz, blues and even classical elements. It was curious and surprising, especially given the setting of a kegger party. I remembered wondering to myself what future a band like this would have on area stages, and if this area was ready for such a progressive-minded and experimental band.

Six years later, after dropping ‘Orchestra’ from their handle and establishing Aldo’s as their primary onstage base of operations; The Flame Sky has grown and developed their brand of music, style and stage persona on their own terms, along the way building a loyal area fan base that appreciates and “gets it.” And as the group continues to create, experiment and bring their eclectic mix to the Aldo’s stage; I’m compelled to keep checking in every now and then to see what they’re up to.

That curiosity brought to me to Aldo’s this night. A small but attentive audience was on hand to take in this latest Flame Sky adventure, as the group was executing a version of Iron Maiden’s “Remember Tomorrow.” The group then shifted into bluesy mode, as Jason Feathers fronted the group on a fiery version of “Stormy Monday” which, like most of the songs The Flame Sky would do this night, escalated into a full-fury jam. The group then broke out one of their most popular original compositions, “Woodcutter,” before introducing a new original described by Jason as being “…psychedelic enough to NOT dance to.” I didn’t catch the title of this new Flame Sky composition, but I detected a bit of a Celtic-styled vibe going on. The Flame Sky’s journey then shifted heavier with a version of Metallica’s “Fade to Black,” with both Ed and Matt handling lead vocals on respective verses. The group then closed out this set with a scorching version of Jimi Hendrix’s “Voodoo Chile,” with all four band members again carrying the tune to a full-tilt climax.

More onlookers arrived during the intermission, including members of the Hurricanes and Chapter 5 representing and supporting their fellow musicians.

As their previous set did, The Flame Sky’s last set of the evening ventured in eclectic and unpredictable directions. I didn’t recognize the first two instrumental compositions the group opened the set with; I assumed they were probably new Flame Sky original creations I had not yet heard, or adventurous and obscure remakes. The group then did a song off their recent EP, “So Much Left Undone.” The group then shifted Southern, breaking out a version of the Allman Brothers’ “Hot ‘Lanta,” which unexpectedly then veered into Led Zeppelin’s “Moby Dick,” showcasing a powerful Nate Woods drum solo display that drew rowdy applause from the smallish Aldo’s audience. The Flame Sky then finished out the night with a heated and intense version of the Allman Brothers’ “Whipping Post,” which again escalated to a furious, jamming crescendo.

Once again, The Flame Sky this night demonstrated the qualities that have carved their musical identity on local stages and earned them their growing fan base: a flare for the unpredictable; a diverse range of sounds, both original and cover; and the investment of heart and passion into each song to build it into a intense, fiery performance. These qualities make each Flame Sky performance a unique adventure that is never routine. And it’s that sense of adventure and unpredictability that keeps the show fresh, and keeps fans like me coming back to partake in whatever musical whims The Flame Sky might indulge on a given night.

Nate Woods of The Flame Sky.

Jason Feathers of The Flame Sky.

”…Psychedelic enough to NOT dance to;” Jason Feathers of The Flame Sky.

Again, Nate Woods of The Flame Sky.

With Matt Burns on lead mic, The Flame Sky.

PA GIANT PUMPKIN GROWERS’ PUMPKIN WEIGH-OFF, ALTOONA 10/4/03

It’s not music-related, but every year one of the signature events that triggers autumn for me is the Pennsylvania Giant Pumpkin Growers’ Association’s annual Pumpkin Weigh-Off, which happens outside Sam’s Club in Altoona. This is serious business, as pumpkin growers from Pennsylvania and nearby states contend to see who can grow the largest pumpkins, and possibly set a national or international record for the largest grown.

With the rainy season Pennsylvania and the Northeast experienced this year, there was a question mark about how the giant pumpkin crop would do; was the moisture favorable for a record pumpkin to be grown this year, or did excessive moisture cause pumpkin contenders to rot in the fields?

It was a raw, rainy and windy morning; and I ended up doing my Q94 remote broadcast on the air and holding onto a tent to keep it from blowing away at the same time; I felt like one of those Weather Channel meteorologists holding on for dear life during Hurricane Isabel! The weather did not deter the crowds, though, as several hundred onlookers braved the elements to see if pumpkin-growing history would be made this day.

When all was said, weighed and done, a new state record pumpkin had been grown: Larry Checkon of Northern Cambria (Spangler) set the record with a 1,242-pound pumpkin. Larry’s wife, Gerry, captured second place with one weighing 1,162 pounds. Two pumpkins, together weighing well over a ton!

Larry’s pumpkin set a new Pennsylvania state record. On the national scale, the largest pumpkin was grown in New Hampshire last year, and weighed in at 1,337 pounds. The pumpkin weights steadily increase year after year, as the science of growing these behemoths is refined and further developed. It’s not inconceivable that a one-ton pumpkin could be grown someday soon!

Other monster vegetables were weighed this day as well, including field pumpkins (the “jack-o-lantern” types used to make pies), melons, gourds, tomatoes, carrots and beets. There was also a pumpkin-carving artist, milk-drinking and pumpkin pie-eating contests, and a petting zoo. Sam’s Club kicked in food for sale, with the proceeds going to the American Heart Association.

The Great Pumpkin comes to visit…Larry and Gerry Checkon with their 1,242-pound pumpkin.

ROSIE & THE JAMMERS/ARAN @ EBENSBURG POTATOFEST 10/4/03

After the Pumpkin Weigh-Off, I made my way up the mountain to Ebensburg, and another event I regularly take in every year, Ebensburg Potatofest. Because potatoes are one of the primary crops grown in Cambria County, Ebensburg celebrates the potato by closing off several blocks of its downtown area for Potatofest. The event features various organizations and vendors dishing out every sort of potato-related food item, along with craft vendors, and entertainment.

The weather was still windy and somewhat raw as I arrived. It was sunny, but that would soon change. After procuring my initial potato foodstuffs, I took in part of Rosie & the Jammers’ set. I give this trio – which includes veteran area musician Jim Mosey – credit just for standing outside and braving the elements to entertain the Potatofest passers-by with their selection of oldies, country and polkas. Soon dark clouds rolled in, and wind-blown rains started up again. The Ebensburg Potatofest mascot (a woman decked out as a huge spud) quickly retreated under the tent where the band was performing. What a drenched, depressed-looking potato! The band played on, grinning and bearing it, even though much of their audience was scattering for cover.

Soon, I scattered for cover as well. I ducked inside The Castle Pub, and discovered entertainment happening onstage. One of the scheduled Potatofest performers, traditional Irish music ensemble Aran, was originally slated to perform across the street at Ebensburg’s Memorial Park. But when the rains arrived, the group asked if they could move their instruments and gear inside the Castle Pub to perform. Castle Pub main man Dean immediately obliged, creating a win-all situation for everybody involved. Aran got to play on a dry, cozy stage; their audience could enjoy their music in a dry setting; and the Castle Pub, serving a special potato buffet this day, suddenly had a number of extra customers, including yours truly!

I sat and enjoyed the potato buffet while taking in Aran’s performance. A five-piece group, Aran performed traditional Irish and Celtic music, including at least one jig (which the group labeled “Irish rock and roll”). They performed all of it well, and the seated audience politely applauded after each song. I had to chuckle to myself, though, because I knew that later in the evening, Emily’s Toybox would be performing on this same Castle Pub stage, and their brand of music would be radically different than the soothing sounds Aran was offering up this afternoon!

Rosie & the Jammers, braving the elements at Ebensburg Potatofest.

A dry Aran, getting their Irish up at the Castle Pub.

SERIOUS JONES @ WILDWOOD INN, GRAMPIAN 10/4/03

OBSERVATION #1: Clearfield County rocks! Or, at least, the Wildwood Inn near Grampian rocks! Ever since those feral Tyrone women abducted me back in January and drove me to this place for the first time, the Wildwood has become one of my favorite out-of-town (town=Altoona) venues to catch live bands. Each of the five visits I’ve made there thus far – this night included – have resulted in excellent times. Excellent atmosphere, great sound, good bands, very cool owner, and friendly patrons all combine to make the Wildwood well worth my hour-plus roadtrip to get there.

Even with a $152 cover charge this night…well, sorta.

OBSERVATION #2: Speeding tickets suck. I achieved a first this night en route to the Wildwood that I hoped I never would achieve, my first speeding ticket. So anxious I was to get to the Wildwood, I was clocked doing 54 in Ashville’s 35 mph zone, and one of PSP’s finest – apparently stockpiling donut funds for when the new Altoona Krispy Kreme location opened in a few weeks – wrote me up a $152 bill. Oh well, given the mileage I’ve logged over the years doing this, the odds eventually caught up with me. And I deserved it, it was one of those stupid mental mistakes coming down off the Buckhorn grade on Route 36, and just not slowing down enough upon entering metropolitan Ashville. Lesson learned, to the tune of $152. Ouch. Be forewarned if you go through Ashville, slow down…

OBSERVATION #3: Did I say the Wildwood rocks? Upon arriving at the Wildwood, the mood of the place was so festive, I was quickly laughing and smiling within a minute of my arrival, even despite the aforementioned speeding ticket! Even the Genesee was anxious to see me, erupting foam like Mount Vesuvius as the first foamy adult beverage of the night was handed to me. And a full-fledged party was going full-force on the Wildwood dance floor, as the official debut of Serious Jones was obviously going quite well.

OBSERVATION #4: Wildwood owner Tammy rocks! And a trend I’ve observed in my years of covering live music, is that often the atmosphere of a venue reflects the mood and personality of its owner and management. If the owner is friendly, fun and enthusiastic; it’s infectious and the whole room seems to be friendly, fun and enthusiastic. Conversely, if the club owner or management isn’t fun or friendly, either the audience is less upbeat and more prone to fighting, or people just get turned off and stop coming to the venue. Wildwood owner Tammy is definitely in the former category. This night, she was pulling patrons – myself included – onto the dance floor; helping one of her bar staff, Tina, celebrate a birthday; and being an all-around fun hostess for this Saturday night party. And it was infectious, the whole Wildwood crowd was smiling, laughing, dancing and rocking to Serious Jones. It was a party!

OBSERVATION #5: Serious Jones rocks! This band already had the party going full-throttle as I entered the Wildwood, nearly seamlessly shifting from Billy Joel's “It's Only Rock'n'Roll to Me” into Aldo Nova's “Fantasy.” Singer Dennis Wood, guitarists Tom Zattoni and Darren Elensky, keyboardist Richard “Doc” Horton, bassist Erik Elensky and drummer Calvin Walls had the Wildwood dance floor well-packed as they jumped through songs from Jimmy Eats World, Cars and ZZ Top to end their second set.

Serious Jones didn't give dance floor participants too long to sit on their butts; after only a 14-minute intermission (very cool!), the group was cranking up the party once again, instantly filling the Wildwood dance floor with Autograph's “Turn Up The Radio.” This band demonstrated the knack for turning each song into its own unique mini-party. Frontman Dennis brandished his 80's big-hair wig on the Autograph tune, and then donned a gangster hat as he and the band shifted into Rare Earth/The Temptations' “Get Ready.” Serious Jones kept the party high-octane as they rocked the house with tunes from Grand Funk Railroad, Sammy Hagar, Bon Jovi, Cheap Trick, Fountains of Wayne and more. While Dennis handled the lion's share of lead vocal duties, Erik fronted the group during Blue Oyster Cult's “Don't Fear the Reaper,” and drummer Calvin stepped out front to handle lead mic duties while Simon Sez (western PA) drummer Mark Neiswonger took over behind the kit. And if the Wildwood wasn't already partying heartily enough, a bridal party showed up during the late stages of the evening and further packed the dance floor. At night's end, the group broke out a rocking version of Lipps Inc's “Funkytown;” and answered loud and rowdy dancefloor encore demands with a repeat performance of Jimmy Eat World's “Middle” to end the night.

For their maiden voyage, this new incarnation of the former Wildwood House Band did extremely well. Their musicianship was tight and charged, and the group combined their instrumental prowess and energy with constant stage movement that kept the presentation continually exciting. New man Dennis' combination of strong voice, friendly stagefront personality and enthusiasm made the Wildwood crowd feel at home and a part of this party. On the production front, the sound crew was dead on with Serious Jones' mix; enabling the drums and bass to pack that needed wallop, while giving the guitars, keys and vocals ample sharpness and balance.

According to Calvin, Serious Jones plans to take this show beyond its Wildwood Inn home base and expand to stages throughout the region. Based on the show I witnessed this night, Serious Jones is a serious threat to accomplish this objective, combining sharp musicianship with lots of onstage energy and a varied selection of current and classic rock favorites. I recommend seeing this band when they invade your town!

Tom Zattoni of Serious Jones.

Sporting a full head of 80’s hair, Dennis Wood of Serious Jones.

Richard “Doc” Horton of Serious Jones.

Tom Zattoni and Darren Elensky of Serious Jones.

Getting serious: Tom Zattoni and Richard “Doc” Horton of Serious Jones.

Darren Elensky of Serious Jones.

Calvin Walls of Serious Jones.

Joined onstage by birthday gal Suzy and Wildwood management, Tom Zattoni of Serious Jones.

The birthday ladies celebrate: Suzy and Teena onstage at the Wildwood Inn.

Girls just wanna have fun…Suzy, Wildwood owner Tammy and Teena.

The party continues; Tammy and Teena onstage at the Wildwood Inn.

Back to our regularly-scheduled music show…Big hair Dennis Wood of Serious Jones.

Dennis Wood and Tom Zattoni of Serious Jones.

Erik Elensky of Serious Jones.

Again, Calvin Walls of Serious Jones.

Again, Darren Elensky of Serious Jones.

Taking over lead mic, Calvin Walls of Serious Jones.

Taking over for Calvin behind the drum kit, Mark Neiswonger of Simon Sez.

Two drummers in action; Calvin Walls sings while Mark Neiswonger pounds out the beats.

THE SMOKE RUN BAND @ APPLE CIDER FESTIVAL, PRINCE GALLITZIN STATE PARK 10/5/03

Another event that ushers in Fall for me is the annual Apple Cider Festival at Prince Gallitzin State Park, which always happens on the first Sunday in October. This event is always very well attended, and features apple cider (duh), various crafts, foods, children's activities, and usually a live band of some sort.

The weather was much improved over the day before, with sunny skies and temperatures reaching the low 60's before all was said and done. As I arrived and parked, I had no idea who would be performing at this year's Apple Cider Festival; I decided to attend anyway and hoped I would be pleasantly surprised.

I was. One of this area's longest-running bands, The Smoke Run Band, was performing. Lead singer Wendell Hullihen has had a version of The Smoke Run Band active on area stages for as long as I can remember; and a lot of area musicians have called this group home through the years. It had been a few years since I last saw Smoke Run, probably dating back to the 90's on a winter night at the Beccaria Inn.

This day, Wendell and his assembled cast – guitarists Bill Farrell and Rob Kruis, bassist Bill Glasgow and drummer Kenny Slovikosky – entertained festival-goers with a feel-good blend of classic rock, oldies and country. Wendell's voice handled all of it well, from Billy Joel's “You May Be Right” to Elvis Presley's “Burning Love;” from the polka favorite “In Heaven There Is No Beer” to Led Zeppelin's “Rock and Roll;” to tunes from the Doors, Van Morrison, John Mellencamp, Mickey Gilley and more. This assembled cast of area music veterans was solid and sturdy over the entire set; and festival-goers could be seen tapping their feet and swaying to the beat, from youngsters to senior citizens.

The Smoke Run Band has been a fixture on Clearfield, Cambria, Centre and Blair County stages; it was cool to see this band still in action and having fun; and brightening up the mood at this festive event.

The Smoke Run Band entertains at Prince Gallitzin State Park’s Apple Cider Festival.

Wendell Hullihen of The Smoke Run Band.

UUU @ PELLEGRINE’S, ALTOONA 10/5/03

Pellegrine’s in a word this night…FREEEEEAK-SHOOOOWWWW!!!!!

I don’t know what it was this night, although a few folks mused that it might have been “Bulls-Crickers’ Night Out” at Pelly’s. (For non-Blair County readers, Bulls Creek is an extremely rural suburb of Claysburg in southern Blair County. REPLACE your own redneck jokes at this point) Whatever the actual reason this night, there were some ver-r-r-ry interesting people in the house and on the dance floor. Part of it appeared to be the Night of the Living Surviving 60's Hippies, who were out in full force on the dance floor and doing all sorts of odd calisthenics to UUU’s music. The Right Honorable Guv’nor Jesse and his trusty pitcher of brew were onstage with the band. There were other crazies present as well, this night just had one of those vibes suggesting that normalcy was not in great abundance. I had a feeling some strange things might happen before night’s end (namely, fights).

For veteran party animals UUU, it was a day at the office; sizing up this oddball crowd and figuring out what configuration of tunage might get them into a festive mood. Singer Jason, guitarist Doug and company threw the kitchen sink mixture at the Pelly’s dancefloor all night, seeing what would stick and what would not. The Commodores’ “Brick House,” Olivia Newton John’s and John Travolta’s “You’re The One That I Want” from “Grease,” Kenny Rogers’ “The Gambler,” “Rocky Top,” John Denver’s “Thank God I’m a Country Boy,” Charlie Daniels’ “The Devil Went Down to Georgia” (the band must have recognized the presence of rednecks in the dancefloor audience), Papa Roach’s “Last Resort,” Poison’s “Talk Dirty To Me” and more were fired at the dancefloor in rapid succession to try to escalate this freakshow into some semblance of a party. Eventually, a fight did break out in the back of the room, prompting a scrum of fight participant weirdos and Pelly’s security to dispense with it. (I’ve said before, I usually can always sense a fight before it breaks out!) Although the fight was quickly dealt with and the rest of the night was incident-free, the trademark party vibe usually inherent with UUU performances never did seem to surface this night; not because the band wasn’t trying, but because of the odd make-up of Pelly’s crowd this night. For UUU, an interesting lesson about the quarkiness of Toonaland sometimes; even I haven’t yet figured out what makes this area tick some nights. Weird night, and weird end to the weekend…

With the Right Honorable Guv’nor Jesse seated onstage, Jason of UUU.

With the Right Honorable Guv’nor Jesse taking a siesta onstage, Doug and Jason of UUU.

The Guv’nor demonstrates his dance moves while Doug and Jason of UUU look on…

UUU cranks up the party.

Jason of UUU.

Doug of UUU.

Guv’nor Jesse wants YOU to join the party on the dancefloor with UUU.

http://pamusician.net
 Back to top »
ROCKPAGE Forum Index » JP's Corner
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: