Go to page Previous  1, 2
ROCKPAGE Forum Index » The Law
previous topic :: next topic  
g1wgs

Post Posted: Wednesday Jun 21, 2006 

lonewolf wrote:
g1wgs wrote:
lonewolf wrote:
Just like DUI quotas, smoking is now "in season" and will be held hostage by a small group of hypocrits. There goes another hole in the Constitution

So you have a problem with the law hunting down the fucking MORONS that decide to drive home intoxicated.

Keep them coming this stuff is good.

PAY ATTENTION! I have a problem with quotas, not legitimate law enforcement.

So let me get this straight... you have a problem with quotas... but not with a cancer causing habit that affects the others around you?

Wow.
 Back to top »
g1wgs

lonewolf wrote:
g1wgs wrote:
The Tobaco companies in this country are causing the cost of healthcare to go up an extroidinary amount and no one is saying two shits about it.

Its because the anti-smoking crowd keeps missing the target. Instead of tramping on our rights, they should go after the source and just focus on banning tobacco.

Ahhhhhhhhhhh OK... now that we know your agenda!... Jezzus.

Look dude, it doesn't matter how you ban it... I don't care, I'm all for letting people destroy their OWN lives if they want to. But NOT mine. And in the meantime... I want to enjoy life and go listen to some bands at local bars. NOT get lung cancer and ruin my clothes.

Quote:
Meanwhile, don't tell me where I can and cannot use a legal substance.

(unless, of course, you are the PLCB...which needs dismantled)

Welcome to the world of regulations. There are HUNDREDS (maybe thousands) of legal products that you are NOT permitted to use in certain places. Ever read the back of a f'ing windex bottle? Go make some explosives out of the chemicals in household cleaners and someone will be knocking on your door.

Regulating where you can use a product is part of life. It's why you don't have morons driving their cars through your yard. It's also why you are't dodging bullets in the streets like in other countries.

Regulation is a good thing, get used to it.
 Back to top »
g1wgs

DirtySanchez wrote:
G1wgs is right, if shit were deadly his posts would have killed us long ago.
I mean my mom's allergic to bee's and bee's are nowhere specifically mentioned in the constitution so I'm gonna fight to have them banned.
One bee sting could kill her, I never heard of one cigarette killing anybody.

Right... But I'm not allowed to take a hive full of bees and release in your house or hell even at the bar.

So... good luck with your bee ban.
 Back to top »
songsmith

Post Posted: Tuesday Jul 11, 2006 

Whew!! I just discovered this thread (I seldom prowl the Law section) and it's a case study in smokers vs. nonsmokers. Nothing more. Near as I can tell, all the smokers feel smoking is a right, and can think up myriad ways to rationalize it, right down to the usual I've-smoked-for-years-and-I'm-still-not-dead-so-you're-wrong routine. The nonsmokers are generally dismissed as PC p*ssies. Nothing ever changes.
Here's my angle:
My wife is a hospice nurse, meaning she deals with dead and dying people. Many of them are dying of lung cancer, which is excruciatingly painful and a slow way to die, and when people find out you were a smoker, they say, "oh well, he knew he was killing himself," but I digress. She has a patient who owns a bar east of here. She won't say who it is, or what bar, because that would violate the patient's privacy, but he had to declare the place smoke-free because he has emphysema, and lives above the bar. As his health has declined, his bar business has skyrocketed. It seems his clientele are now professional types who would go to bars more if they weren't so smoky. There are more customers, and they spend more money because they stay longer. He says he wishes he had come up with the idea years ago, when he could have enjoyed the extra money.
So... please notice I haven't denied anyone the chance to light up, I've just pointed out anecdotal evidence that not everybody likes cigarette smoke. Seems like an untapped market to me, as a business-oriented guy.---------------->JMS
 Back to top »
KMFDM ROB
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Posted: Tuesday Aug 01, 2006 

I personally could care less if they ban it or not. I don't smoke, and I don't like smelling like it...however I know that if I'm going to a bar, or a rest. that offers a smoking section, then I am willingly going there, and I've got no right to complain.

Yeah, you could argue the non-smoker has rights and blah blah blah, but for me, I could care less.
ToonaRockGuy
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Post Posted: Wednesday Aug 02, 2006 

KMFDM ROB wrote:
Ihowever I know that if I'm going to a bar, or a rest. that offers a smoking section, then I am willingly going there, and I've got no right to complain.

Quote of the month!!!

My point on the whole smoking issue has been this: I am a smoker, and I recognize the rights of non-smokers to breathe clean, smoke free air. I'm polite about my smoking, and if you ask me nicely to put it out, I will.

But nobody makes a non-smoker go to, or work at, a bar where people smoke. If you don't like the smoke, then don't go.
KMFDM ROB
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Posted: Wednesday Aug 02, 2006 

Exactly. I know when I go to a bar, I'm coming out smelling like bar. If I didn't like it, I shouldn't go. That's like going to a gun range and saying "I don't want to hear you shoot guns"....well...that's what happens at the range!

Also, when I think of playing a club, I don't think of this clear aired atmosphere. I think of a smoke filled haze.
blackout14

Post Posted: Friday Aug 25, 2006 

Did anyone stop and think that maybe the lower attendance at the local bar scene is due to the major crack down on DUI's in the last 10 year?????
As far as smoking, if you can't walk out on the deck to spark one up then that pittyful. How would you like it if someone shit their pants and set beside you at the bar all night. There is no law that says I can't shit my pants in public and that if I do I have to leave Right?? So there you have it from now on all the non smokers, shit youself and find the nearest smoker to set beside, we will see how long it takes them to get up and go outside. If this happened on a larger enough scale then, the bar owners would have no choice but to band smoking or run a risk of having a bar that smell like shit, oh wait they already do. Oh well at least it wouldn't smell like smoke and probably wouldn't kill anyone like smoking does. NO TOILET PAPER NEEDED>
bassist_25

Post Posted: Friday Aug 25, 2006 

I think that everyone is failing to take into consideration that shit is indeed as potentially harmful as smoking. Along with shit comes a large amount of methane gas. You get that stuff near an open flame then KA-POW!!!!

So yeah, the cigerrette/shit analogies don't hold any water...I should I say that they don't hold any slimey, runny, green, diarrhea?

BTW, I stand by my libertarian view - It's the owner's right to have smoking at his or her establishment. If people think that nonsmoking is the way to go, then open a smoke-free establishment and let the free market decide. I'm a non-smoker and there are bigger political issues to worry about than people smoking. Maybe it doesn't bother me because I grew up with my mother being a chain smoker, but unless it's being blown directly in my face, I don't even notice it.

P.s. It's good to know that Zilly makes us pound at City Limits. Very Happy
BDR

Post Posted: Friday Sep 01, 2006 

I am adamantly AGAINST people shitting themselves in bars and restaurants.

r:>)
BDR

Post Posted: Friday Sep 01, 2006 

Alcohol doesn't hurt others ...

g1wgs wrote:
It's a childish and selfish standpoint to take in that smoking is your "RIGHT." There is nothing in the constitution that states as such, and you ruin not only your own health, but that of others... that's the largest difference I see between drinking beer. That only affects YOUR liver, and only if you drink a whole f'ing lot of it.

Alcohol hurts others ...

g1wgs wrote:
Quote:
Just like DUI quotas, smoking is now "in season" and will be held hostage by a small group of hypocrits. There goes another hole in the Constitution

So you have a problem with the law hunting down the fucking MORONS that decide to drive home intoxicated.

I don't drink because of the affects it has on other people. Drunk people get stupid, start fights and morph into something other than themselves, more often than not, in a bad way. People make poor decisions when they're drunk (driving, jealous rage fighting, screwing ugly people and other people's partners, etc.) and it has an adverse (and many times DEADLY) effect on those around them.

To say alcohol consumption is harmless to others is RETARDED. Pick up a paper sometime and read about the domestic disputes, testosterone-and-vodka inspired brawls, the DUI arrests and traffic deaths caused by drunk people. At least with a smoke-filled club, you can turn around and leave if you don't like it. If a drunk person kills your family on the highway, those dearly departed loved ones are not given the option of whether they wanted to participate in the crash.

All smoking bans do (any bans, for that matter) is piss off the "other half" of a demographic. My wife and I like to enjoy a smoke after a meal so we select restaurants based on whether there is a smoking section. Restaurants that stop offering smoking fall off of our list of places to go. I'm sure those opposed to smoking in public places add these places to their lists of places to go.

However, there is an expectation that you can smoke in a bar. It's part of the atmosphere.

I have two solutions for this argument.

SOLUTION # 1: I think someone should open a non smoking bar in the area to test the theories being offered in this thread. Question is, does g1wgs or someone else on the other side of the debate have the nuts to do it? I bet not.

SOLUTION # 2: Everyone just smoke weed and quit goddamn arguing.

r:>)
Gorr

Post Posted: Saturday Oct 14, 2006 

bassist_25 wrote:
Thank God!

If they had banned smoking in bars, we might as well have all put our equipment up on Ebay.

maybe we should let them talk to this guy about it!

http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e245/k-skell/scan0007-3.jpg
is it 4:20 yet?
 Back to top »
Trucula
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Post Posted: Wednesday Nov 01, 2006 

This reminds me of a comedian doing a line the other day..
He was talking about smoking in bars and said," Excuse me bartender!, I am here drinking ALCOHOL and getting ready to DRIVE to my place and have UNPROTECTED SEX with a SKANK I just met here at the bar, and this guy is BLOWING smoke in my face!!"

To me it doesn't matter, I don't smoke and don't really notice it till i pick up my clothes from the night before to throw in the hamper and go like "Whew!" Laughing
 Back to top »
RAM Z
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Posted: Monday Nov 06, 2006 

I smoke but, if I'm with friends who don't and we go into a place to eat that doesn't have a smoke'n section I don't bitch about it, I just wait untill we are done eating then I fire one up outside. No big deal at all but, if I can't smoke in a bar I will not go in period ! It does however bother me that people who don't smoke that complain nonstop about others who do smoke killing them also with second hand smoke. If they don't like it why do THEY go to places that are not smoke free ? So they have something to bitch about and that's all and when some asshole looks at me in a place that you can smoke and bitches about smoke'n he better hope I didn't have a bad day or a couple of shots of whoop ass and a few cans of liquid courage that's for sure ! I like the smoke in bars it saves on fog juice and hides all the ugly people !
ROCKPAGE Forum Index » The Law
Go to page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: