· The Final Cut
Shade Gap Borough meeting in regards to EYES OF ANGUISH
Go to page 1, 2  Next
ROCKPAGE Forum Index » The Law
previous topic :: next topic  
AtoMikEnRtiA
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Location: Palmyra, Pennsylvania - Where only the Strong Survive.. kinda like New Jersey...

Post Posted: Wednesday Jul 05, 2006 

I was just informed a few moments ago, by a reliable source that this Monday (July 10th) at 7:00 PM, a public meeting will be held in Shade Gap in regards to EYES OF ANGUISH in which an attempt to "turn off" E.o.A in dublin township limits will be brought up.

This meeting has been roughly 1 year in the making, as E.o.A has used a shed in bassist Dusty Clark's backyard in residental Shade Gap, in which the neighbors, an elderly woman by the name of Flora Parsons on several ocassions politely asked Eyes of Anguish to 'tone' down their practice, which was done to suit Ms. Parsons and her family. However in the time this has occured, not one single complaint was filed to any member of E.o.A, E.o.A Management, or Ron and Anita Clark (owners of E.o.A practice facility).

In the recent weeks, it has become very public that Ms. Parsons has grown discontent with Eyes of Anguish, which for the record - practices not 1 mile up the road from where Sound of Silence currently rehearses. E.o.A has not practiced since June, as a guitarist has moved and E.o.A is playing on a weekly basis, yet Ms. Parsons has repeatedly harassed Eyes of Anguish, insisting to them that they will "surely burn in hell". A charge which was unresponded to, in any way, shape, or form.

On June 17th, 2006 - Eyes of Anguish were preparing to head to Reading for a show at Chucker Chubbs Family Restaurant, Bar & Grille. While rehearsing, a man - on behalf of Ms. Parsons, donning a suit and tie approached the shed in which E.o.A rehearses in, and personally approaches me (E.o.A Management) asking if it's necessary to be playing and I quote "that noise" - he then stated, and once again I quote "They can hear it inside their house".. keep in mind, June 17th was the day of the Shade Gap Band Jam at Harpers' Memorial Park, and the events going on there were audible for miles, much moreso than E.o.A practice. Upon their request, we packed it in, and havent practiced since.

This Monday, Dublin Township Supervisors, and Shade Gap Borough will be holding a Public Meeting in regards of silencing Eyes of Anguish. I, on behalf of Eyes of Anguish, the families of Eyes of Anguish, and the fans of Eyes of Anguish - feel this is a personal attack on style of music, and not sound levels heard. We feel this is an attack on heavy, secular music - and not on the level in which it is heard. It is a fact that Eyes of Anguish practice at a low level, and never do they practice at night, or early in the morning. Not to mention multiple times, E.o.A members have been harassed in a religious way, including a very irrational cry of "you're going to burn in hell". We feel that you, the rockpage community, need to know where we stand, and what we stand for, and we ask you for your support and your "vote of confidence"

Thank You,

Gary E. Waite II

Head of Management/Promotions
Eyes of Anguish

- Keith Reyn on Chinese Waiters at IHOP
 Back to top »
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
MeYatch
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

hey, good luck with that guys, there's nothing worse than somebody that causes trouble just for the sake of drama. Even though your style of music isn't my bag either, I completely respect your right to play it, and you should have just as much a chance to practice as any other band.

by the way, I love the intro to that live song on your myspace.
bassist_25

I just find it fucking funny that this woman has nothing better to do than whine and bitch about a band practicing down the road. I wish that the biggest problem in my life was a band practicing. I have real problems in life. If this were an urban area, would they really waste a meeting on this assinine crap?

Good luck, Gary. I hope that small town political bullshit doesn't win.
f.sciarrillo
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Post Posted: Thursday Jul 06, 2006 

She sounds like the old lady in the appartment building who calls the cops from the noise; since she was the only one who wasn't invited to the party ...
songsmith

I find it hard to believe that a meeting to run a rock band out of town on a rail will ever happen. It sounds like somebody's B.S.-ing you. If the meeting actually takes place, you now have a good reason to gather local media around the "controversy," (art vs. smalltown conservatism) and you get free press and MUCH street credibility with the Clearasil crowd. Of course, if, on the outside chance, that all happens, you'll have to stay mature and cool, or they'll crucify you as a bunch of punks. The whole situation would've given me a boner back in the day, I lived for stuff like that, but your mileage may vary.
Until the meeting happens, watch the movie, "Footloose," and learn how to play, "Amazing Grace." My first band practiced in a barn near an old man's house... he came over threatening to call the cops. We launched into a perfect three-part harmony, "A-mazing Grace! How sweet the sound..." He left, shaking his head, and never came back. We proved we could play whatever we wanted, and we wanted to play metal... plus, how do you complain about Amazing Grace?----------->JMS
 Back to top »
RAM Z
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

First how old "elderly" is this lady ? Is she ill or something , bad ticker maybe ? When and how long do you guys practice ? I totally agree with you that it sounds like she doesn't like your music and it seems to stem from a church type point of view but honestly you guys can't seriously think they would wanna listen to Hardcore Metal all the time do ya ? Trust me I don't think it's right either but, why piss off people you have to live beside it only makes things worse further on down the road ,I know cause I'm like that alot and I've delt with neighbors shooting guns towards my house over loud music from my old band and I delt with that as I saw fit ! They however , were not old because if they were I prolly wouldn't have been playing at my house in the first place but, that's just me. I'm not try'n to be a dick Gary but after the first couple of complaints you should've considered a new place to jam, you guys know how it is down here ,churches run everything ! Let "THEM" win the battle , "YOU'LL " win the war when you are famous some day and then rub it in real damn good !

My Aunt is fighting with the chruch in Rockhill because they play 2 songs every hour all day , everyday over the outside p.a. speakers ,which sounds like ice cream truck music played backwards I might add ! She sent numerous letters to the town council and never got any response so she started mowing her grass during their sunday services and what do ya know , she got her letter and it wasn't in regards to the church's music it was about the noise of the mower and now the council wants to pass an ordinace against sunday mowing and what not, go figure !

We practice at Curt our bass player's house "which is not part of the Shade Gap Borough" and his next door neighbors come hang out with us and the other one's house sits on part of Curt's property so they don't say anything about it either. His other closest neighbor comes to some of our shows not to mention the fact that Curt's house is located behind a loud wood factory which everyone at that end is used to ,so I would say you guys are just at the wrong end. I can't see how the township could prevent you guys from jam'n but , I can almost bet ya that the borough will , after all there could only be about 200 people who live within the borough and that would make it pretty easy to get such a ordinace passed ! It sucks to lose a good place to practice but, it helps if it's not in town . Maybe it would help if Dusty put some stickers of puppies and flowers on the hearse ! L.O.L
BDR

Sounds to me like you may be getting your panties in a bunch over nothing. First, this sounds like the borough's or the township's regular monthly meeting that's taking place, second Monday of the month at 7 p.m., not a special meeting just for Eyes Of Anguish. These municipal governing bodies field complaints like this all the time during public comment and rarely does anything come of it, especailly if the complaint is coming from only one person. I highly doubt they'd call a special meeting just to address a bitch from one little old lady.

The important thing you need to find out about is whether the borough or township where you're practicing has a noise ordinance in place. It sounds to me like you're practices are happening on Saturday afternoons. If that's the case, I don't think the old lady has a gripe. Most noise ordinances kick in at 9 p.m., 10 p.m.

This is private property you're dealing with here, as well, not a bar that's overregulated by the PLCB. It's a totally different ball game than what bars must put up with. You can make as much damn noise on private property as you want, as long as it's not in conflict with any prevailing noise ordinance.

I'd verify with the townshp or borough what, if any, noise stipulations they have in place and then just abide by them. The neighbor lady can't do jack shit if you're complying with the law.

r:>)
orangekick
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

This really does sound like an attack on the band for who they are, not just the fact that they are playing. Have you tried soundproofing the area that you practice in as much as possible? Have someone else go outside while you guys are practicing and see just how far you guys can actually hear the music.

Personally, I'd tell that old lady that she's the one going to hell for passing judgement on others. Twisted Evil
 Back to top »
DirtySanchez
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

The police can and will shut you down if there is any type of complaint.
Believe me , a band I was in before Fedup got shut down in the middle of the woods up in blue Knob by the state police. The closest neighbor was 1/2 a mile away. I tried to argue BaddazeRob's point and ended up in the back of a cruiser. Close scenario too, the guy complaining was a preacher and said we were satanic. If anything I'm agnostic and the band I was in was more political punk, but the stupid old bastard just heard heavy music and started casting stones. Oh well if there's a hell I hope it's got enough room for all these fucking hypocrites. In the meantime, like Songsmith said milk it for what it's worth.
Trucula
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Ouch!!...This can be a touchy subject..its gonna be hard to please everyone...I use to practice all the time in Shirleysburg...and I live next to a retirement home....But had cool neighbors...never complained..even tho they knew what day it was...I use to do alot for mine...I mowed their grass every week along with mine for years and never charged them or asked for gas.....helped them everytime I saw they needed something..I do one of the areas biggest partys on the 4th with ALOT of fireworks and the retirement home wheels the folks to the windows to watch..(they even ask now when it will be so they can be ready)...Some neighbors even came to watch at practice and I always invite them 1st when partys happen..(people don't bitch if they are invited, even if they don't show up)
I know this old lady won't come but just saying what worked for me!!

Some suggestions...Go to the meeting...see what the hipe is about...show them you care about what your doing as much as you do about meeting them halfway...Show them you care for the neighbors and want to help in whatever way you can...don't be an outcast...it only gives them a chance to pass judgement ...
Check on your volume...you don't have to practice LOUD...I've always said "If you sound good quiet ,you'll sound great loud"...Practice don't have to be a concert..(tho sometimes it can turn into one!!) Twisted Evil
Maybe even talk to the lady(if you haven't tried already)...don't make enemies....cause it could have a domino effect. and alot will respect you trying to do whats right...Just remember old people around this area are afraid of change and anything they can't understand or new to them!..Remember she has been there alot longer than all of us!
 Back to top »
drums=life
Gold Member
Gold Member

Just one more time before the meeting, TURN UP TO 11, fuck em.

thats just my opinion
 Back to top »
ToonaRockGuy
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

gazoo17 wrote:
Maybe you should look for somwhere else to play and make everybody happy?

Dude, WTF is your problem? If you're not here to support live and local music, then get the fuck off Rockpage. If we all "looked for somewhere else to play and made everyone happy", we'd all be playing frickin' polkas in VFW's and Private Clubs for 75 year old men. Get a life, man, support EoA in this! Christ Almighty.
ChaosRisingRice
Gold Member
Gold Member

Hell yeah!!!!!!!!! stay where you are dont move. Plenty of support here for ya

www.myspace.com/iamcondemned
www.myspace.com/awakenedpa
 Back to top »
AtoMikEnRtiA
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Location: Palmyra, Pennsylvania - Where only the Strong Survive.. kinda like New Jersey...

a few things, after skimming through responses..

RAM Z - You understand what I mean though, it may not be "shade gap borough" - but in small towns, townships and boroughs are often run by the same people. The guy in charge at this meeting, is Van Montague.. (I know it's not polite to give out names, but in this case - I find it acceptable).

The woman is elderly as in older, but I feel if the woman has enough fire in her spirit to on multiple ocassions scream "You're going to burn in hell", then she is in fine enough health to NOT be bothered by it..

Like I said, practice hasnt occured since May (Jessy works in Hanover, the only time he is up is on weekends for shows) - and when practice did occur, it would be between 5:00 - 7:00 PM, no later, sometimes earlier.. and the noise level isn't even that bad, seeing as all doors are shut and the sound is lower..

Also, none of her accusations or outcries have been responded too - other than last year when David Welsh told her to shove a hymnal up her ass.. and the ONLY spoken complaint is coming from her - the other neighbors (including Rev. Robert Benson) have shown NO distaste and in some other cases have applauded the efforts. Granted, Im not always there (I live 2 hours away) - but if there is practice, or rehearsal, Im usually there, and use the "shed" as a place to conduct my own business inside the band (a lot more to it than just 'showing up' and booking shows - I actually consider this a business on my behalf, and have business cards now (special thanks to a friend for printing them up for me))

Rob - Dooly noted (or how the fuck ever you spell it)

Paul - You seem like you understand the situation, small town politics can sometimes be a little "over the top" when it comes to certain things, thanks alot brah

Matt (FedUP) - Go read your myspace.. have a laugh there!

basically - I dont care if this is something that may be premature or being taken over the top or what, but when you have people extremely pissed off because they hear they may face problems.. you tend to be outraged, fact is. I dont care if this is country music, rap, blues, jazz, or if it's original, cover, a little of both - this could be Bad DaZe, Sound of Silence, Felix and the Hurricanes, Scream, FedUP, 4 Days Dirty, ANYBODY.. fact is, they're attacking ART. That's my problem.

I'm not a musician, I dont claim to be - I consider myself a hell of a marketer and salesman (in levels not always shown on rockpage) - but Im also an ARTIST. We all know that Music is the greatest driving force in the world, and it's an ART that no matter what should be exhibited in it's purest and truest form. No harm to the community has or ever will be done - we're not selling heroin on the street corners, we're not burning crosses or destroying schools - and we're not raping teenagers (..yet, haha) - I dont see what the issue is. If there is a noise ordinance, and it is presented to us on Monday night (we will be present and represented well) I will personally ask for a test to be conducted - and if things are too loud, we will go about finding a new location (again, none of this matters, practice doesnt occur anymore anyways) - but yeah, thats how we feel about this.

One other thing I should state - This wasnt brought up to us... a band member's parents found out from a source, told them, and I found out. I just feel it's bunk nobody approached us with ANYTHING except religious psychobabble..

Thats where I stand

Back to top »
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Trucula
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Well Good Luck with this!!...you kno S.O.S is behind you guys..and sounds like Rev. Benson would be a great witness for you guys if he would attend the meeting...If he don't have a problem then that might be some help on your part and turns some heads your way...Just a thought! Twisted Evil ..(whoops !!! evil face...hope she don't see that!....)

Hey I kno ,,,when ya practice change the word "baby" to "Jesus" and tell her your a christian rock group...A.K.A South Park!...just kiddin!... Twisted Evil (shoot!!...I did it again!)
 Back to top »
DirtySanchez
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

In general 90% of people are pussies.
So it should be no surprise if they didn't tell you about the meeting.
Sounds like the old bitch is suckerpunchin' ya Evil or Very Mad
brokenstrings
Gold Member
Gold Member

There is no way the borough council is having a special meeting for this matter. Every council has a point in the monthly meeting where the public can bring up comments or concerns.

My band has run into the same problem. We received a noise complaint months ago but we were smart enough not to ignore it. We started to practice with the windows of the house closed rather than open. It is a hell of a lot hotter but we got an air conditioner to compensate. We used to play until 10pm now we quit no later than 930pm. We really didn’t change much but it made a difference and now we don’t have these stupid problems. If you don’t show that you are at least attempting to lower the volume, chances are your gonna loose the battle.

I guess my point is that you need to give a little sometimes. If your completely defiant you gonna get your dick kicked in the dirt.
 Back to top »
brokenstrings
Gold Member
Gold Member

If you really want to dazzle em, show up to the council meeting yourself and bring up in open forum that you are aware that the music is upsetting people and discuss the ways you are going to attempt to reduce the volume. If the members of the council see that you’re not a dick head and that you really don’t want to offend anyone you should get some support. If your not at the meeting its your fault you didn’t defend yourself. The council proceedings of any municipality is open to any member of the public under the sunshine law. Everyone has their right to pursue happiness as long as it doesn’t infringe on anyone else’s same right under the US constitution and Pennsylvania Constitution. That’s what you have to keep in mind.
 Back to top »
zman1200
Gold Member
Gold Member

Acoustic tile,Nice Paint,and invite the eldery lady for Tea! The Enemy of my Enemy is my FREIND Idea

http://theguitarworx.intuitwebsites.com
 Back to top »
Trucula
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Yeah whats the old saying?.."Keep your friends close, and your enemies even closer" Twisted Evil
 Back to top »
ZappasXWife

Quote:
I will personally ask for a test to be conducted - and if things are too loud, we will go about finding a new location

well we all know thats a problem, there is no test or 'acceptable' decibal level that is used even by the cops or the PLCB, let alone a borough council. The 'test' is that they can hear it. Between 5 & 7 in the evening? How ridiculous...
That was funny about the guy telling her to shove a hymnal up her ass!
Charltor
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

steal the batteries outta her hearing aid. Rolling Eyes
 Back to top »
EyesOfAnguishbassist
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Yeah its definetely a sucky situation.....

We NEVER have practiced later than 8 at night, usually practice is 5-7 P.M., there have been exeptions where we played earlier in the day but no earlier than 10 AM. We never practice more than probably 2 hours and never more than 2 days a week. We haven't even practiced as a full band since probably the beginning of June. And as far as if ppl think we're just punk kids she's the one who told us we could "burn in hell" which we never caused a fuss about, shes supposed to be the adult (and christian at that). Goes to show whos being immature about it. Its really ironic when someone comes up to tell us to "turn down our music cuz you can hear it in their house" even though at that EXACT moment the band jam Relay for Life is going on at the Shade Gap picnic grounds and you can hear it from MILES away inside your house. Its not like when she mows her grass I go down and tell her to turn her mower down because I can hear it in my house, I don't give a fuck as long as she isn't doing it past a certain time. I agree with Ram - Z, I doubt she likes listening to hardcore/metal music, but we don't practice ''all the time".(We just got stuck at the shitty end of town lol, seems like the other end where SOS practices everyone is awesome) Also if we could practice somehwere else we would but right now we don't have any options. Baker lives in Rockhill so thats even less rural than where I live, Caleb lives right across the street from me so we would have the same problem with the same lady, and Jessy lives in Three Springs which is less rural also. I don't think theres an ordinance so I doubt theres much they can do but if they do stop us from playing we'll just have to suck it up and find somewhere else, sitting and whining isn't gonna do shit, it just sucks cuz I feel if we played gospel and/or country we wouldn't even be having this conversation lol....

It isn't fair but as my parents always tell me......life isnt fair Rolling Eyes Laughing
Primates
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Posted: Friday Jul 07, 2006 

its all bullshit in my opinion guys, E.o.A did what they could to reduce the levels but yet this old women is still bitching.

but look at the bright side, their dedicating an entire town meeting to you guys, how many times can you say that in a life time? lol

im sure itll work out. see you guys soon.
 Back to top »
AtoMikEnRtiA
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Post Posted: Friday Jul 07, 2006 

gazoo17 wrote:
You could Just Burn Her House down and Put in An old Age home! lfao

isnt there some sort of DJ convention that you could be attending right now? Im sure somebody is planning a Rave tonight in State College.. you could always prepare some techno music for them..

Back to top »
ROCKPAGE Forum Index » The Law
Go to page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: