· The Final Cut
WEEK/WEEKEND RECAP 9/29/08 PT. 2
ROCKPAGE Forum Index » JP's Corner
previous topic :: next topic  
Jim Price

Post Posted: Tuesday Dec 30, 2008 

WEEK/WEEKEND RECAP 9/29/08 PT. 2

DELTAPALOOZA @ ST. FRANCIS UNIVERSITY, LORETTO 9/27/08

Delta Sigma Phi Fraternity was presenting the third annual DeltaPalooza benefit for the American Red Cross, outside of St. Francis University’s JFK Student Center. The day featured music from six area bands, as well as other activities, tables and displays from student organizations and more.

Contacted to help emcee the event, I arrived in advance of the scheduled 2:30 start time and set up shop in the lawn in front of the soundboard. Beau Saller and Ricky Lee were finishing up sound preparations, with Ricky Lee himself providing the system and running sound for much of the day.

Chris V. & the Stanley Street Band soon kicked off the music with their freewheeling blend of rock, funk and jam-flavored sounds. Singer/guitarist Chris Vipond, bassist Mike Stanley, mandolin player Mike Wertz and drummer Sam Thurau started off with the tune “Yourself,” and played original tunes such as “Be,” “Media Controls the World,” “Freedom” and “Shine,” and closed with a rocking rendition of the Stones’ “Sympathy for the Devil.” Once again, Chris V. and company went with the flow, and let the grooves breathe and expand on their own. Their mood was laid-back and fun, and their set provided a good low-key kickoff to the DeltaPalooza event.

Chris V. & the Stanley Street Band kick off DeltaPalooza.

Group namesake Chris “V” Vipond.

Mike Wertz of Chris V. & the Stanley Street Band.

The group’s other namesake, Mike Stanley of Chris V. & the Stanley Street Band.

Again, Chris V.

Mike Wertz and Chris V.

The Satan’s Taint T-shirt arrives onstage at DeltaPalooza.

During the first intermission, I took a look around the various tables and other happenings at DeltaPalooza. There was a paintball demonstration, with a firing range and targets. The local ROTC had provided a rock climbing wall, which several participants were trying. The ladies of the St. Francis Dance Club showed up to do a brief dance routine. Although overcast skies were keeping some student organizations away, there was still some activity happening at this year’s DeltaPalooza.

An ROTC armored vehicle was one of the other attractions at DeltaPalooza.

Early on, the bonfire is lit at DeltaPalooza.

The rock climbing wall at DeltaPalooza.

The paintball demonstration at DeltaPalooza.

The St. Francis Dance Club kicks up their heels during DeltaPalooza.

Again, the St. Francis Dance Club.

A lady and her canine take in the music at DeltaPalooza.

Next was a band I hadn’t seen in a few years, Indiana’s Soundrive. This band’s roster had changed since I last saw them; now featuring singer Bryan Kish, guitarists Jason Kish and Ed Plummer, bassist Toby Bialas and drummer Tony Vigilotti. Starting with Counting Crows’ “Mr. Jones,” Soundrive mixed original songs with an eclectic selection of classics. Along the way, Soundrive did solid work on original tunes such as “The Way It Oughta Be” and “Cool Summer Night,” as well as songs from the Rolling Stones, Bob Dylan, The Troggs and more. Several songs especially stood out, including a sharp rockabilly-flavored spin on Johnny Cash’s “Folsom Prison Blues,” an extended version of Them’s “Gloria” with some improvised vocal harmonies, and the set-ending rendition of Velvet Underground’s “Sweet Jane.” Soundrive sounded good overall, especially on the extended numbers where they were able to build some momentum and crank up the energy level.

Soundrive is under way at DeltaPalooza.

Toby Bialas of Soundrive.

Jason Kish of Soundrive.

Tony Vigilotti of Soundrive.

Bryan Kish of Soundrive.

Ed Plummer of Soundrive.

Again, Bryan Kish of Soundrive.

One more time, Soundrive.

As the day progressed, the Delta Sigma Phi brothers weren’t just standing by and sponsoring this concert; they were active participants in it, even taking the stage a few times to perform some songs themselves. During this intermission, DeltaPalooza chief organizer Justin Long and another brother performed a short acoustic set. They did a song called “Everything Changes.”

Two of the Delta brothers perform acoustic.

One of the organizers of DeltaPalooza, Justin Long.

Altoona’s Moxie then took the stage, and escalated the party with their hard-hitting set of current and 90’s rock. Singer Ryan Dibert, bassist T.J., drummer J.D. Heverly and substitute guitarist Todd Belardi started off with Bush’s “Machinehead,” and continued with tunes from Fuel, Offspring, Lit, Seven Mar Three, Alice In Chains, Live, Weezer, Caroline’s Spine, Collective Soul, Seether and more. By the time the group reached Alice In Chains’ “Man in the Box,” a number of the Delta brothers had gathered before the stage and started some happy-go-lucky moshing, followed by stage-diving and body surfing. The stage-diving even got creative, I was almost expecting to see score cards after some of these dives! Bassist TJ even got involved in the moshing, bouncing off some of the Delta brothers with bass in hand! Clearly the Delta guys liked Moxie, and the feeling was mutual; both forces had escalated this into a party!

Moxie rocks DeltaPalooza.

Filling in on guitar, Todd Belardi.

T.J. of Moxie.

Ryan Dibert of Moxie.

Again, Ryan Dibert.

J.D. Heverly of Moxie.

Once again, Ryan of Moxie.

One of the Delta pledges is made to get onstage and dance during Moxie’s set.

It’s a party!

The Delta moshpit begins.

Caught in a mosh!

The moshing fun continues.

The party moves in front of the stage.

More of Moxie and the Delta brothers.

Stage-diving is set to begin.

Crowd-surfing, Delta style.

The crowd-surfing fun continues.

Crowd surf’s up at DeltaPalooza!

Night appropriately started to arrive as Northern Cambria’s Night Train arrived onstage. Singer Don Duriez was a bit under the weather, but nonetheless did a good job fronting the group as they did a strong mixture of classic and current rocking favorites. I was impressed by Night Train’s strong harmonies as they did tunes from 3 Doors Down, Bon Jovi, Gin Blossoms, Allman Brothers, Doobie Brothers, Three Days Grace, Billy Idol and more. Perhaps my favorite highlight of their set was when they broke out Sammy Hagar’s “Mas Tequila.” The father and son tandem of Jerry and Jarrod Carnevali frequently displayed strong guitarwork and dual guitar harmonies along the way. It was a strong and sturdy set that reminded me that I don’t get to see this band nearly enough, and that I need to make the effort to trek up the hill to catch them again sometime soon.

As night starts to arrive, the bonfire is still going at DeltaPalooza.

Son and father; Jarrod and Jerry Carnevali of Night Train.

Don Duriez of Night Train.

Again, Jarrod and Jerry of Night Train.

Night Train, bringing more rock to DeltaPalooza.

Again, Jarrod Carnevali of Night Train.

Once again, Night Train.

Again, Don Duriez of Night Train.

Again, Jerry Carnevali of Night Train.

Ken Pompa of Night Train.

More of Night Train.

Once again, Jarrod and Jerry Carnevali of Night Train.

One more time, Night Train.

More Delta brothers got up and performed songs during the intermission, with fellow fraternity brothers and audience members cheering them on. Although attendance wasn’t heavy for DeltaPalooza, the folks who were here, mostly St. Francis students, were enthusiastic in their support and having fun.

Two more of the Delta brothers perform during DeltaPalooza.

Next was Johnstown’s Shades Of June. This was the first I had seen this group since they were female fronted. Frontlady Jess Maguire is now gone, and guitarist and group founder Ryan Krinjeck handles most of the lead vocal duties. The rest of the group now includes bassist Chris Myer, new guitarist Alex Davis and new drummer Jesse August. Shades Of June kept spirits high with their rousing set of rocking original songs and favorites. The group started off with a torrid take on John Denver’s “Take Me Home Country Roads,” before Ryan introduced one of the group’s new original tunes, “Get Over You.” Then in an interesting twist, Shades Of June broke out Lil Wayne’s “Lollipop,” and continued with favorites from Violent Femmes, Johnny Cash and Bryan Adams. The group did another original tune, followed by tunes by Prince, Neil Diamond (I think you know the one), and Journey, before versions of the Beatles’ “Hey Jude” and The Clarks’ “Cigarette” closed out the set. I liked this new look Shades Of June, especially their adrenaline as they kept things riding at a charged high from the get-go and never let off the accelerator. The new cast sounds just fine, and I think if they keep it together, this Shades Of June roster can make a serious mark on area stages.

Shades Of June cranks up the party at DeltaPalooza.

Ryan Krinjeck of Shades Of June.

Alex Davis of Shades Of June.

Again, Ryan Krinjeck of Shades Of June.

New drummer Jesse August of Shades Of June.

Shades Of June and the DeltaPalooza crowd.

One act remained, headliners Ricky Lee & the Mustangs. When I was here for the inaugural DeltaPalooza two years ago, Ricky Lee and his band went over like gangbusters, and the St. Francis crowd couldn’t get enough of them. That turned out to again be the case this year, as Ricky Lee & the Mustangs delivered a fun set of original country tunes, plus country and rock’n’roll favorites. Ricky was again an instant hit with this mostly college-aged crowd, stepping off stage to serenade audience members directly, and even accepting the Delta brothers’ invitation to do a stage dive during the song “Who’s Counting!” Ricky’s corps of Mustangs this night; guitarists Rick Wertz and C.J. Castello, bassist Fritz Wyland, keyboardist Mary Villani and drummer Beau Saller; provided a strong and upbeat backdrop. Ricky & the Mustangs kicked off the party with Big & Rich’s “Save a Horse, Ride a Cowboy,” and kept it cranking with tunes from Travis Tritt, Loggins & Messina, Brooks & Dunn, John Mellencamp, Maverick and others. They also did plenty of Ricky’s original tunes, such as “My Kind of Girl,” “Give the Devil a Ride,” “Barbecue Snake and Apple Pie,” his new song “Country Fried Girl” and more. Later in their set, the group funked it up and shifted the spotlight to Rick Wertz to sing Wild Cherry’s “Play That Funky Music.”

Ricky Lee & the Mustangs kick off their party at DeltaPalooza.

Ricky Lee.

C.J. Castello of Ricky Lee & the Mustangs.

Mary Villani of Ricky Lee & the Mustangs.

Once again, Ricky Lee.

Again, Ricky Lee & the Mustangs.

Fritz Wyland and C.J. Castello of Ricky Lee & the Mustangs.

Rick Wertz of Ricky Lee & the Mustangs.

Fritz Wyland, Rick Wertz and C.J. Castello.

The mostly student crowd parties down with Ricky Lee & the Mustangs.

Ricky Lee, out and singing to the crowd.

Beau Saller of Ricky Lee & the Mustangs.

This year’s DeltaPalooza was again a good time. Overcast skies and some light drizzle late in the day probably scared off some attendance, but those who did come out seemed to have a good time, especially the brothers of Delta Sigma Phi. The fraternity intends to keep making this event bigger and better each year, and a fourth DeltaPalooza next year appears likely.

MYSTERYTRAIN @ 30 SOMETHING, ALTOONA 9/27/08

After DeltaPalooza concluded, I still wasn’t done with live music for this day, and made my way down the hill to 30 Something to see a new local ensemble called Mysterytrain. This new group was playing a special benefit show, with proceeds helping out Penn State Altoona’s Eco-Action organization.

The brainchild of singer and lead guitarist Dan Klock, Mysterytrain also features Brian on rhythm guitar, Gina on keys, Kevin on bass, Chuck on drums, Erro on African percussion and Jacob on Latin percussion. Mysterytrain offers adventurous original jam-geared sounds as they mix elements of rock, country, Americana, funk and worldbeat into constant, freewheeling grooves. As I first arrived during their first set, Mysterytrain launched into a jam – “Across the Road,” if I kept accurate notes and read the group’s website right – that lasted over 20 minutes! This was followed by the compositions “Aries” and “Flow River Flow,” which closed the set.

Mysterytrain’s nightcap set seemed to use improvisational jams to interconnect several songs for nonstop music from start to finish. Two portions of “Summertime Gone” enveloped “Summertime Jam,” along with Chuck, Erro and Jacob engaging in a heated percussion jam! There was a rural hoedown-flavored number called “That’s Alright,” followed by “Sundown Jam” and “All the Way Home” to finish out the night.

Mysterytrain’s musicianship was fluid and ever-changing throughout the course of the show. There were interesting twists, turns and instrumental emphases during each song, and their constant grooves kept folks moving and dancing in front of the stage throughout the course of the show.

It was definitely something different! Mysterytrain’s open-ended, exploratory style of music offers a breath of fresh air on area stages, and would appear to be a serious threat to fill the jam band void that has existed in this town since Gin & Juice, Soundriven and Cloud 9 all drifted away. It will be interesting to see what musical excursions this ‘Train takes us on in future shows!

Mysterytrain, making their first 30 Something appearance.

Kevin and Erro of Mysterytrain.

Again, Kevin of Mysterytrain.

Again, Mysterytrain.

Chuck of Mysterytrain.

Dan Klock of Mysterytrain.

Once again, Mysterytrain.

Mysterytrain, kicking out the jam.

Gina of Mysterytrain.

Again, Dan Klock of Mysterytrain.

Again, Erro of Mysterytrain.

Dan and Brian of Mysterytrain.

Once again, Dan Klock.

The Mysterytrain excursion continues.

Gina and Jacob of Mysterytrain.

More of Mysterytrain.

Again, Gina of Mysterytrain.

Mysterytrain mastermind Dan Klock.

Once again, Brian of Mysterytrain.

RONNIE McDOWELL @ HARVESTFEST, DELGROSSO’S AMUSEMENT PARK, TIPTON 9/28/08

Since I hadn’t attended this event in a couple of years, I decided to head to DelGrosso’s Amusement Park in Tipton to take in the final day of the annual two-day Harvestfest, the Park’s final weekend of the season. Playing two performances on the main stage was an artist making his eleventh consecutive appearance at this event, country/pop star Ronnie McDowell.

I arrived just prior to Ronnie’s first of two performances, and with a huge audience already in place, maneuvered to find a vantage point along the perimeter of the crowd to view the show and take a few long-distance photos. Ronnie and his band; including son Ronnie Jr. on drums, nephew Jody McDowell on keys and vocals, lead guitarist Lee Bogan and bassist Wade Bernard; entertained the large audience with a wide variety of hits and favorites. I was impressed by Ronnie’s repertoire beyond the scope of country and his own song catalog; besides playing his hits such as “In a New York Minute,” “Watchin’ Girls Go By” and “It’s Only Make Believe” during this initial set, Ronnie and his band also played early rock’n’roll, country and R&B favorites. Ronnie was a personable and charismatic entertainer as well, who freely addressed and befriended the large audience and made them feel at home. Highlights throughout this set were numerous, including keyboardist Jody doing his best Archie and Edith Bunker voices on a lighthearted version of the All In the Family theme “Those Were the Days,” Ronnie’s heartfelt salute to the veterans in the audience (Ronnie himself served in Vietnam), his 1977 song tribute to Elvis Presley “The King Is Gone” (Ronnie is well-known as an Elvis impersonator), Jody’s wild footwork on the keys during Jerry Lee Lewis’ “Great Balls of Fire,” Ronnie Jr.’s drum solo displays during “Wipe Out,” a rendition of the Temptations’ “My Girl,” and Ronnie’s newest single about high gas prices, “Hey Mr. Oilman.” Capping the set, Ronnie honored a special request for another Elvis-popularized gospel number, “How Great Thou Art,” and dedicated it to the parish members of St. Joseph’s Catholic Church in Coupon, which had burned down just days before. I was quite impressed with Ronnie and his band during this set; enough so that despite planning to only catch this first performance, I changed my mind and stuck around for Ronnie’s nightcap performance later on.

Ronnie McDowell and his band.

Again, Ronnie McDowell.

Once again, Ronnie McDowell.

Ronnie and his band entertain a large Harvestfest audience.

Ronnie McDowell, accepting a request from an audience member.

Jody McDowell.

Jody, about to play keys with his foot.

Ronnie McDowell, Jr.

Ronnie McDowell strolls through the audience.

Ronnie McDowell interrogates some children.

Lee Bogan of Ronnie McDowell’s band.

Between Ronnie’s performances, I passed the time enjoying the foodstuffs served up at Harvestfest, and taking in some of the other entertainment and attractions. I headed over to the Tipton Creek Railroad area to witness the Civil War encampment and battle reenactments, watched Dennie Huber and his show for the kids, and also took in part of vocal oldies act The Sharptones.

Dennie Huber, keeping the kids happy.

It’s the annual civil war between Bellwood and Tyrone, as the football rivalry game wasn’t quite enough to decide who gets jurisdiction over Songsmith’s ‘bean’ fields near Fostoria. Here the Tyrone troops are making their advance.

Tyrone fires first.

The Bellwood troops prepare to return fire.

Bellwood fires back.

More Tyrone troops amass. This is gonna get ugly...

Bellwood opens another round of fire.

A medic comes to the aid as Bellwood suffers its first casualties.

Bellwood regroups.

Another Bellwood troop is down.

Bellwood draws its first blood of the night from a Tyrone troop.

Bellwood’s rally leaves Tyrone bodies strewn on the ground.

But a late Tyrone rally wins the war, and Tyrone controls the ‘beans’ for another year.

I then returned to the main stage area to take in Ronnie McDowell’s early evening nightcap performance. Again Ronnie and his band were amazing both as musicians and entertainers, and Ronnie again celebrated his audience and made them feel at home. Musical highlights this time around included Ronnie’s hits and “I Dream of Living Like You;” a mini-set of Elvis Presley hits, including a version of “Always on My Mind” where Ronnie sang the Elvis voice opposite Lee’s Willie Nelson voice; Jody’s Louie Armstrong growl on “What a Wonderful World;” Ronnie’s celebration of a couple celebrating their 61st wedding anniversary with a singalong version of “You Are My Sunshine;” a rendition of the Righteous Brothers’ “Unchained Melody” that filled the stagefront area with slow-dancing couples; an early rock’n’roll medley fusing together “The Twist,” “Whole Lotta Shakin’ Going On” and “Living in the U.S.A.;” and a closing salute to the veterans that paired “Dixieland” with “The Battle Hymn of the Republic.” I could again tell that Ronnie and his band were all about the audience, and were enjoying every minute of this opportunity to again share music and memories with them. The audience clearly enjoyed it as well, with rousing applause following each and every song. Ronnie McDowell has entertained at Harvestfest for eleven consecutive years, and this day’s shows offered clear testimony as to why he has become a favorite at this event.

Ronnie McDowell and his band trigger some slow-dance action during the nightcap set.

RISE PHOENIX RISE @ PELLEGRINE’S, ALTOONA 9/28/08

Sunday night again brought me to Pellegrine’s, this night to witness Rise Phoenix Rise’s revised lineup, with Hollidaysburg’s Jarrod Spinazzola replacing Ronnie Williams on bass.

Rise Phoenix Rise’s first set instantly turned into a party-hardy medley of favorites, as Jarrod, lead singer Gibson, guitarist Chris Bishop and drummer Rob Hampton fused together hits from Joan Jett, Beastie Boys, Lit, Gin Blossoms, Harvey Danger, Romantics, Rick Springfield, Ray Parker Jr. and more. The group’s pace was tight, and the tempo fast and driving, with Gibson’s rapid fire cadence and constant movement quickly setting the tone for the night. The group continued with numbers from Sublime and Fuel, before Rob sang lead on The Vapors’ “Turning Japanese.” New guy Jarrod (who Gibson dubbed “J-Spin”) then got to show off his vocal credentials, singing lead on the Ataris’ take on “Boys of Summer.” More hits from Jimmy Eats World, Oasis and Green Day led to guitarist Chris singing on Dead Or Alive’s “You Spin Me (Like a Record), before a mini-medley of Corey Hart’s “Sunglasses at Night,” Rage’s “Bulls on Parade” and Led Zeppelin’s “Immigrant Song” closed the set.

Attendance was light early on, but folks began to filter into Pellegrine’s through the course of Rise Phoenix Rise’s first set. The group was opting to do two longer sets this night instead of the standard three shorter ones.

The nightcap set started with a version of The Proclaimers’ “(I’m Gonna Be) 500 Miles,” triggering another freewheeling and action-packed cavalcade of favorites. Rise Phoenix Rise fueled dance floor activity with tunes from Cyndi Lauper, Tommy Tutone, Bryan Adams, Def Leppard, Blink 182, Sublime, Eve 6, Eddie Money, 3 Doors Down and more. Again, the group kept the pacing tight, with no down time between songs, so folks had no excuse or opportunity to want to sit down once they were on the dance floor. Jarrod was having some technical issues with his bass during this latter set, and Rise Phoenix Rise’s technical staff serviced the afflicted bass while Jarrod was playing it! Jarrod demonstrated his voice again on a version of Journey’s “Don’t Stop Believin,’” before Rob again sang lead from behind the kit on Deadeye Dick’s “New Age Girl” and Gary Numan’s “Cars.” The party headed down the homestretch with a medley that combined hits from Blur, Garth Brooks, Sugar Hill Gang, House of Pain, Run DMC, Rick James, Tone Luc, Nirvana and more. When the Pelly’s crowd demanded more at the end of the set, Rise Phoenix Rise answered them with Metallica’s “Enter Sandman” to end the night.

Based on this show, Jarrod seemed to be right at home in this new band setting. Even the bass problems later on didn’t dampen his spirits, and Gibson’s quick wit turned the malfunction into opportunities for humor along the way. Rise Phoenix Rise kept the show riding at a feverish pitch, blending in jumping maneuvers, choreography, mic tosses and more to keep the visual action nonstop. Even breaking in their newest member, Rise Phoenix Rise executed like an efficient, well-oiled performance machine.

While some bands lose momentum when personnel moves take place, Rise Phoenix Rise indicated this night that their momentum shows no signs of a slowdown, and that they were already rapidly charging back up to speed.

Rise Phoenix Rise.

Again, Rise Phoenix Rise.

The new guy in Rise Phoenix Rise, Jarrod “J-Spin” Spinazzola.

Gibson of Rise Phoenix Rise.

Once again, Rise Phoenix Rise.

Rob Hampton of Rise Phoenix Rise.

J-Spin, taking his turn singing lead.

Again, Jarrod Spinazzola of Rise Phoenix Rise.

Again, Rob Hampton of Rise Phoenix Rise.

Once again, Gibson of Rise Phoenix Rise.

Jarrod gets his bass serviced.

Jarrod plays his bass, while a tech’s hand holds a bad plug in place.

Chris Bishop of Rise Phoenix Rise.

One more time, Rob Hampton of Rise Phoenix Rise.

JP’s HAIKU

DeltaPalooza
Six bands, wild Delta brothers
Ricky Lee stage dives!

http://pamusician.net
 Back to top »
Jim Price

Post Posted: Sunday Dec 20, 2009 

http://pamusician.net
 Back to top »
ROCKPAGE Forum Index » JP's Corner
Page 1 of 1