The Musician Death Thread
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12 ... 22, 23, 24  Next
ROCKPAGE Forum Index » General Discussion
previous topic :: next topic  
moxham123
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Post Posted: Monday Feb 20, 2017 

Larry Coryell, "Godfather of Fusion", R.I.P.
 Back to top »
Jim Price

Post Posted: Monday Mar 06, 2017 

Pittsburgh guitarist Pete Rossi passed on March 3. He played with a number of Pittsburgh area groups over the years, including Sanxtion (who played Aldo's once or twice in the late '80s/early '90s), Black Sabbath tribute group Black Sunday, Van Halen tribute group Meanstreet, and he also played alongside members of Savatage and Tokyo Blade in the power metal group Reverence.

http://pamusician.net
 Back to top »
moxham123
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Post Posted: Monday Mar 13, 2017 

Joni Sledge, member of Sister Sledge, R.I.P.

Joni Sledge, who with her sisters recorded the enduring dance anthem "We Are Family," has died at the age of 60, the band's representative said Saturday.

Sledge was found dead in her Arizona home by a friend on Friday, the band's publicist, Biff Warren, said.

The cause of death has not been determined. Warren said Sledge had not been ill.

"Yesterday, numbness fell upon our family. We welcome your prayers as we weep the loss of our sister, mother, aunt, niece and cousin," read a statement from the family.

Sledge and her sisters Debbie, Kim and Kathy formed the Sister Sledge in 1971 in Philadelphia.

Bernard Edwards and Nile Rodgers of the hit group Chic wrote and produced their album "We Are Family," and soon the women had their first major hit with disco jam "The Greatest Dancer," which became a top 10 hit in May 1979.

Their biggest hit came a month later with the title track, an infectious dance anthem that celebrated their familial connection with the refrain, "We are family, I got all my sisters with me." While it celebrated their sisterhood, the 1979 hit so also became an anthem for female empowerment and unity. It would become their signature hit, and was nominated for a Grammy. Both the song and album sold more than one million copies.

The women also had a hit with a cover of the Mary Wells song "My Guy" in 1982.

While Kathy had left the group for a solo career, the trio of sisters continued to perform and record, including a performance for Pope Francis in 2015.

Warren said their last performance together was at a concert in October.

Joni Sledge is survived by an adult son, her sisters and other relatives.

The Associated Press contributed to this report.
 Back to top »
Jim Price

Post Posted: Thursday Mar 16, 2017 

Blues harmonica great James Cotton passes at age 81.

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/james-cotton-blues-harmonica-veteran-dead-at-81-w472545

Several Rockpagers and I went to see James perform at Ace's in Johnstown during the "Night of Rock, Rhythm & Blues" Benefit in November, 2005. Here is the link to my "JP's Corner" write-up of that night (the photo below the link is from that night as well):

http://rockpage.net/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=10018&highlight=cotton

Back to top »
Jim Price

Post Posted: Friday Mar 17, 2017 

From several months back...Erik Petersen, singer/guitarist with Philadelphia folk/punk group Mischief Brew, passed away unexpectedly in July of last year. Mischief Brew played in Altoona at City Limits (now Club Kryptonite) several years ago. Erik was 38.

Back to top »
Jim Price

Post Posted: Saturday Mar 18, 2017 

A biggie... Chuck Berry passes at 90. What would rock and roll music be without his contributions and influence?

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-39318602

Back to top »
moxham123
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Post Posted: Thursday Mar 23, 2017 

Former Boston Drummer Sib Hashian, R.I.P.

http://drummagazine.com/former-boston-drummer-sib-hashian-dead-at-67/
 Back to top »
Jim Price

Post Posted: Thursday Mar 23, 2017 

Sad news about Sib Hashian, and it hits close to home on two fronts...First, the Legends Of Rock Cruise (during which Sib passed) involves regional rockers Hybrid Ice, who played with Sib and several other well-known rock names on the cruise. And second, Sib was scheduled to be part of the Legends Of Rock concert at the Blair County Convention Center in Altoona on May 27. R.I.P.

Back to top »
moxham123
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Post Posted: Monday Apr 03, 2017 

Chicago blues legend Lonnie Brooks, R.I.P.

http://www.nydailynews.com/entertainment/music/chicago-blues-legend-lonnie-brooks-dies-83-article-1.3017355
 Back to top »
moxham123
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Post Posted: Monday Apr 03, 2017 

Ikutaro Kakehashi, Founder Of Roland, R.I.P.

http://www.npr.org/sections/therecord/2017/04/02/522328217/ikutaro-kakehashi-founder-of-roland-drum-machines-dies-at-87
 Back to top »
moxham123
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Post Posted: Tuesday Apr 04, 2017 

Rosie Hamlin of Rosie and The Originals R.I.P.

Rosie Hamlin, the teenager who crooned the eternal classic "Angel Baby," passed away last week. The lead singer of Rosie and the Originals died on Thursday of undisclosed causes. A statement from the family on the band's website noted Hamlin was 71 when she passed in her sleep and didn't perform in her later years because of health concerns.

"It's been difficult for us these past few days and we are heartbroken from our loss," Joey Tafolla, Rosie's son and longtime Orange County resident, told the Weekly. "We are so overwhelmed by the outpouring of love and support by so many people who she has touched with her music. It's truly amazing how the song 'Angel Baby' touched so many people's lives in a positive way."

According to an online autobiography, Hamlin was born on July 21, 1945 in Klamath Falls, Oregon to a white father and Mexican mother. She grew up in Anchorage, Alaska before moving down to National City, California with her family. The singer got her start in music at 13, albeit by fibbing to a country western band about being 16 before taking the mic. But Hamlin's first, and most revered, hit wasn't too far away.

"When I was 14, I wrote a poem about a teenage love called Angel Baby," Hamlin wrote on her website. A group of her musician friends decided to drive to San Marcos to record the tune at a makeshift studio inside an old airplane hanger. After about 30 takes, the band had a demo in "Angel Baby" to shop, but few record companies gave the song the time of day at first.

Rosie and the Originals decided to take "Angel Baby" over to Kresge's Department Store in San Diego and convinced the manager to play the song over loud speakers. A Highland Records representative just happened to be at the store when he heard the tune and tracked the band down. They handed the demo over and soon after KDAY-LA played the song over the radio before it shot all the way to No. 5 on the national charts. Hamlin was just 15 at the time, but the band later broke up over a Highland Records contract that didn't list her as songwriter. She later married Noah Tafolla, the band's guitarist whom she recorded a full-length album with, and started a family.

The day following Hamlin's death, KPFK-FM 90.7's Pocho Hour of Power paid tribute to the singer, with host Lalo Alcaraz announcing news before any media penned obituaries. Since then, Billboard and Rolling Stone both noted the late John Lennon's professed love and cover of the "Angel Baby" in their pieces. But Hamlin's teenage love tune immediately struck a chord with Mexican-Americans who've kept the "Oldie But Goodie" alive for decades ever since.

"Although Rosie and the Originals had a national hit with 'Angel Baby,' it was the Mexican American community that embraced her and showered her with love," writes Ruben Molina in Chicano Soul: Recordings & History of an American Culture. With the first big hit of the 1960s for a Chicano artist, Hamlin also gave young Chicanas their first anthem, Molina adds. The whammy bar-bending opening notes cast a spell that Hamlin's angelic vocals accentuated with her youthful innocence.

The doo-wop "Angel Baby" lived on at gymnasiums where high school couples slow danced in its heyday to Sunday barbecues today where oldies provide the soundtrack to socializing. It's a perennially requested love song on the Art Laboe Connection, a fact acknowledged by the legendary radio host himself. "Your signature song, #AngelBaby, we must have played a million times since it first came out," Laboe wrote on Facebook upon learning of Hamlin's passing. "Your artistry and music has touched so many Rosie and you will be missed." Laboe had always sought to bring "Angel Baby" to his recent concerts, but Hamlin's fibromyalgia prevented her from appearing.

The singer leaves behind three children and a legacy that will endure. "My mom had a tremendous influence on me," Tafolla, also a musician who was in OC on Sunday and saw "Angel Baby" covered by The Creepers, adds. "I met so many of the musicians that helped shaped pop music while with her and I'm grateful for that. By the time Hamlin left music, and this life, behind, she worked with giants like Chuck Berry, Little Richard, Freddy Fender, Malo, Tierra and countless others. Hamlin also became the first Latina honored by the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gson1KDV5VE
 Back to top »
moxham123
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Post Posted: Thursday Apr 06, 2017 

Trans-Siberian Orchestra Founder and former Savatage Member Paul O'Neill R.I.P.

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/trans-siberian-orchestra-founder-paul-oneill-dead-at-61-w475347
 Back to top »
moxham123
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Post Posted: Wednesday Apr 12, 2017 

J. Geils, born John Warren Geils Jr., R.I.P.

Guitarist J. Geils, born John Warren Geils Jr., has reportedly died. He was 71.

WCVB-TV Boston reports Geils was found dead in his Groton, Massachusetts, home. He had lived in the town for 35 years.

As leader of The J. Geils Band, the group had 17 songs on the Billboard Hot 100 chart, including 10 top 40-charting hits. The band's biggest single, "Centerfold," spent six weeks at No. 1 and "Freeze-Frame" peaked at No. 4.

Billboard reached out to the Groton Police Department to confirm the report, but they declined to comment at this time.

Geils formed The J. Geils Band in 1967 with Danny Klein, Magic Dick Salwitz, Stephen Jo Bladd and Peter Wolf (later Seth Justman joined) while studying mechanical engineering at Worcester Polytechnic Institute. They released 11 studio albums before breaking up in 1985. They would reunite on and off over the years following. In 2012, Geils left the band for good.
 Back to top »
lynch1
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Posted: Monday Apr 17, 2017 

Guitarist Allan Holdsworth
moxham123
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Post Posted: Monday Apr 17, 2017 

Sylvia Moy, Musician/Songwriter/Producer, R.I.P.

Sylvia Moy, the Motown songwriter who helped pen Stevie Wonder hits like "Uptight (Everything's Alright)" and "My Cherie Amour," died Saturday at the age of 78.

Moy's sister Anita told the Detroit Free Press that the producer-songwriter died at a Dearborn, Michigan hospital of apparent complications from pneumonia.

Your picks include 'Ain't Too Proud to Beg,' 'Dancing in the Streets' and 'Tracks of My Tears'

Marvin Gaye, then a Motown artist, discovered Moy while she was singing at a Detroit club in 1963. The label signed Moy to a dual songwriting/performing deal, although her talents were largely focused on penning songs for Motown's stable of artists, which included Little Stevie Wonder.

"Motown came forth with a recording contract for me, a management contract and a songwriter's contract - which shocked me," Moy told the Free Press in 2016. "Then I was told, 'Sylvia, we'll get to you as a singer. But in the meantime, we've got all these artists and they have no material. You're going to have to write.' I said OK. Because I was kind of shy anyway. And so that's what I started doing. I got into it, and the hits started coming."

A year after a 13-year-old Wonder topped the Hot 100 with "Fingertips" in 1963 – the youngest artist ever to accomplish that feat – the singer struggled to record another hit, and as his voice began to change, Motown's Berry Gordy debated terminating Wonder's recording contract. It was Moy who is credited with persuading Gordy to keep Wonder.

After dropping the "Little" from his name, Wonder, Moy and songwriter Henry Cosby teamed to write 1965's "Uptight (Everything's Alright)," which quickly became a hit for Motown's Tamla label and Wonder's first hit as a songwriter (even though he, at the time, credited his contribution as "S. Judkins", a nod to his father).

The resulting album, 1966's Up-Tight, also featured "Nothing's Too Good For My Baby", another track penned by the Wonder/Moy/Cosby team.

Over the next three years, Wonder, Moy and Cosby partnered for a string of Hot 100 hits like "I Was Made to Love Her," "Shoo-Be-Doo-Be-Doo-Da-Day," "I'm Wondering," "My Cherie Amour" and Signed, Sealed & Delivered's "Never Had A Dream Come True", the final track the trio co-wrote together; a year later, the Jackson 5 covered the track.

In 2006, when Moy was inducted into the Songwriters Hall of Fame, Wonder made a surprise appearance at the ceremony to perform "Uptight" for his former collaborator.

In addition to Moy's work with Wonder, she also co-wrote Motown/Tamla classics like Marvin Gaye and Kim Weston's "It Takes Two," the Isley Brothers' "This Old Heart of Mine (Is Weak for You)" (a collaboration between Moy and the legendary Holland-Dozier-Holland tandem) and Martha and the Vandellas' "Honey Chile."

After her tenure at a Motown songwriter, Moy remained in her native Detroit to mentor schoolchildren in the arts and operate her own recording studio. In recent years, Moy founded the Center for Creative Communications, which worked with underprivileged Detroit children.
 Back to top »
moxham123
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Post Posted: Friday Apr 21, 2017 

Cuba Gooding Sr., Singer with The Main Ingredient, R.I.P.

Cuba Gooding, Sr., lead singer for the 1970s soul group The Main Ingredient and father to Oscar-winning actor Cuba Gooding, Jr., has reportedly died. He was 72.

According to TMZ, Gooding was found dead in his car on Thursday (April 20) in Woodland Hills, California.

Gooding joined The Main Ingredient in 1971 when the former lead singer Donald McPherson died unexpectedly of leukemia. He had served as a backing vocalist on some of their recordings previously. While he was with the RCA-signed band, the act scored five top 10 hits on the Hot R&B/Hip-Hop Songs chart, including their highest-charting effort: 1972's "Everybody Plays the Fool," which peaked at No. 2 for three weeks. The track also was their biggest hit on the all-genre Billboard Hot 100, climbing to No. 3. The Gooding-led act also notched top 10s on the Hot R&B/Hip-Hop Songs chart with "Just Don't Want to Be Lonely," "Happiness Is Just Around the Bend" and "Rolling Down a Mountainside."

In 1977, Gooding left the band to pursue a solo career on Motown in 1977, releasing two albums. In 1979, he reunited with his Main Ingredient bandmates they continued to work together through the 1980s. Gooding resumed his solo career in 1993 and did not participate in a 1999 reunion of his old band. Gooding also had a minor acting career.

Gooding himself as a solo artist notched two R&B/Hip-Hop Songs chart hits of his own: 1978's "Mind Pleaser" and 1983's "Happiness Is Just Around the Bend," which reached Nos. 91 and 43 on the Hot R&B/Hip-Hop Songs chart, respectively. More than two decades later, Gooding returned to Billboard's charts with the top 10-charting Adult Contemporary airplay chart hit "This Christmas" (Richard Kincaid featuring Cuba Gooding Sr.). It climbed to No. 9 in December of 2012.

The singer had four children with his wife Shirley Gooding: actors Cuba Gooding Jr., Omar Gooding, April Gooding and musician Tommy Gooding.
 Back to top »
moxham123
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Post Posted: Thursday May 18, 2017 

Chris Cornell, R.I.P.

Rocker Chris Cornell, who gained fame as the lead singer of the bands Soundgarden and later Audioslave, has died at age 52, according to his representative.

Cornell, who had been on tour, died Wednesday night in Detroit, Brian Bumbery said in a statement to The Associated Press. Cornell had performed a Detroit concert with Soundgarden that night.

Bumbery called the death "sudden and unexpected" and said his wife and family were shocked by it. The statement said the family would be working closely with the medical examiner to determine the cause and asked for privacy.

News of Cornell's death prompted scores of tweets expressing sadness. Aerosmith guitarist Joe Perry tweeted: "Very sad news about Chris Cornell today. A sad loss of a great talent to the world, his friends and family. Rest In Peace."

With his powerful, nearly four-octave vocal range, Cornell was one of the leading voices of the 1990s grunge movement with Soundgarden, which emerged as one of the biggest bands out of Seattle's emerging music scene, joining the likes of Nirvana, Pearl Jam and Alice in Chains.

Formed in 1984 by Cornell, guitarist Kim Thayil and bassist Hiro Yamamoto, Soundgarden's third studio album, "Badmotorfinger," in 1991 spawned popular singles "Jesus Christ Pose," ''Rusty Cage" and "Outshined" that received regular play on alternative rock radio stations.

Cornell also collaborated with members of what would become Pearl Jam to form Temple of the Dog, which produced a self-titled album in 1991 in tribute to friend Andrew Wood, former frontman for Mother Love Bone.

Three years later, Soundgarden broke through on mainstream radio with the album "Superunknown," which debuted at No. 1 on the Billboard 200 and was nominated for a Grammy for Best Rock Record in 1995. It included hit singles "Spoonman," ''Fell on Black Days," ''Black Hole Sun," ''My Wave" and "The Day I Tried to Live."

Soundgarden disbanded in 1997 due to tensions in the band, and Cornell pursued a solo career. In 2001, he joined Audioslave, a supergroup that included former Rage Against the Machine members Tom Morello, Brad Wilk and Tim Commerford. The band released three albums in six years and also performed at a concert billed as Cuba's first outdoor rock concert by an American band, though some Cuban artists have disputed that claim.

Audioslave disbanded in 2007, but Cornell and Soundgarden reunited in 2012 and released the band's sixth studio album, "King Animal" in 2012.

Cornell also released four solo studio albums and a solo live album. He also released the single "The Promise" in March on iTunes, with all proceeds going to the International Rescue Committee, a global humanitarian aid, relief, and development non-governmental organization.

In addition to his music, Cornell also became involved in philanthropy and started the Chris and Vicky Cornell Foundation to support children facing challenges, including homelessness, poverty, abuse and neglect.
 Back to top »
moxham123
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Post Posted: Tuesday Jun 27, 2017 

Jimmy Nalls, Sea Level Guitarist, R.I.P.
 Back to top »
moxham123
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Post Posted: Tuesday Jul 04, 2017 

Drummer, John Blackwell Jr., R.I.P.

http://people.com/music/john-blackwell-jr-prince-drummer-dead-at-43/
 Back to top »
moxham123
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Post Posted: Friday Jul 21, 2017 

Linkin Park lead singer Chester Bennington, whose screeching vocals helped the rock-rap band become one of the most commercially successful acts in the 2000s, was found dead in his home near Los Angeles on Thursday, the Los Angeles County coroner said.
He was 41.
 Back to top »
moxham123
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Post Posted: Friday Jul 21, 2017 

Kenny Shields of Streetheart R.I.P.

Kenny Shields, lead singer of classic Canadian rock band Streetheart, has died at age 69.

Shields died early Friday morning in a Winnipeg hospital, where he underwent cardiac surgery, bandmate and close friend Jeff Neill confirmed.

Neill said Shields's wife and daughter were with him when he died around 3 a.m.

"The ones that he loved were by his side and he wasn't in pain. And he just slipped away," Neill said.

"He was sort of at peace with the world. It's a very humbling experience when you go in and you see one of your very best friends like that, and the courage that he had there was quite something."

Streetheart had planned a cross-country tour this summer to celebrate the 40th anniversary of the band. The tour was cancelled when Shields fell ill earlier this month.

Neill announced Shields's illness on the official Facebook page for Kenny Shields and Streetheart and continued to post updates about his condition.

"Kenny, as some of you may know and many have speculated on, has a very sick heart. In lay terms, he has approximately 20 per cent efficiency on the left side of his heart, which has caused his right side to become damaged in an attempt to compensate," Neill posted July 5.

"This has created a dangerous buildup of fluid in his lungs along with other serious internal issues."

Born and raised in the farming community of Nokomis, Sask., in 1947, Shields started playing in bands in Saskatoon, where he moved to attend university.

He relocated to Winnipeg in the mid-1970s and became part of a band originally from his home province.

The band soon returned to Saskatoon.

When it broke up in 1976, Shields and some of his bandmates hooked up with a couple of new musicians and began rehearsals in Regina for what would become Streetheart, the prairie powerhouse band of the late 1970s and early 1980s.

The band soon relocated once again to Winnipeg. Its numerous hits, a mix of their own tunes and covers, include:

Action.
Hollywood.
Here Comes the Night.
Under My Thumb.
Tin Soldier.
Look In Your Eyes.
What Kind of Love Is This.
One More Time.
Snow White.
The band earned six gold albums, four platinum albums, a gold single, two Ampex Golden Reel awards, a Music Express People's Choice Award as Most Popular Canadian Act and a Juno Award.

In September 2003, Kenny Shields and Streetheart were inducted into the Western Canadian Music Association Hall of Fame.

Shields became a fixture in the Winnipeg music scene, doing solo shows as well as performing with his old mates.

The band was scheduled for a farewell concert at the Winnipeg Classic RockFest later this summer. The show was slated as the "final farewell performance by members of Streetheart" and an event to "honour the incredible legacy of Kenny Shields."

Other Canadian rockers including Honeymoon Suite, Harlequin, The Pumps and Orphan were also on the bill.

An update on the Facebook page for the event says the show will go on: "Kenny Shields was so looking forward to performing for his fans in Winnipeg where Streetheart first began, so this special tribute will give Winnipeg a chance to honour and thank Kenny for all the great music memories he's given to us all over the last 40 years, he deserves this!"
 Back to top »
moxham123
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Post Posted: Monday Jul 24, 2017 

Motown Singer Bobby Taylor R.I.P.

Bobby Taylor, the veteran singer and producer who brought The Jackson 5 to Motown in the late Sixties, died Saturday morning at a hospital in Hong Kong, where he'd been living for the last several years. He was 83 and had been undergoing treatment for leukemia and tumors in his spine. "Bobby was a producer, creator and mentor to all of the greats in the early Motown days," says Suzy Michelson, a longtime family friend and fellow producer who confirmed Taylor's death to Rolling Stone.

"Bobby had a range that exceeded even Patti LaBelle," recalls Tommy Chong, who played guitar in Bobby Taylor and the Vancouvers, a Motown band famous for 1968's Number Five R&B hit "Does Your Mama Know About Me."
 Back to top »
moxham123
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Post Posted: Thursday Aug 03, 2017 

Goldy McJohn, Original Steppenwolf Keyboardist, R.I.P.

http://ultimateclassicrock.com/goldy-mcjohn-steppenwolf-dead/
 Back to top »
moxham123
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Post Posted: Thursday Aug 03, 2017 

Jazz Guitarist, Chuck Loeb, R.I.P.

https://jazztimes.com/news/chuck-loeb-guitarist-composer-dies-61/
 Back to top »
moxham123
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Post Posted: Thursday Aug 24, 2017 

John Abercrombie, Jazz Guitarist, R.I.P.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/08/23/arts/music/john-abercrombie-lyrical-jazz-guitarist-dies-at-72.html[/img]
 Back to top »
ROCKPAGE Forum Index » General Discussion
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12 ... 22, 23, 24  Next
Page 11 of 24

Jump to: