Post Posted: Sunday Sep 03, 2017 

Walter Becker lead guitarist for Steely Dan
 Back to top »
moxham123
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Post Posted: Thursday Sep 14, 2017 

Hüsker Dü founder Grant Hart R.I.P.

https://blog.thecurrent.org/2017/09/songwriter-and-husker-du-founder-grant-hart-passes-away-at-56/
 Back to top »
moxham123
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Post Posted: Friday Sep 15, 2017 

Virgil Howe, Little Barrie drummer/vocalist and son of Yes guitarist Steve Howe R.I.P.

Virgil Howe, drummer for the band Little Barrie, has died unexpectedly aged 41.

The London-born musician and DJ was the son of Yes guitarist Steve Howe, who confirmed the news of his death on the band's Facebook page.

A statement read: "Due to the tragic, unexpected death of guitarist Steve Howe's beloved younger son, Virgil, YES regrettably announces that the remaining dates of their Yestival tour have been cancelled.

"Ticket refunds for the affected tour dates (in Moorhead, Cedar Rapids, London, Rochester, Boston and Huntington) will be available at point of purchase.

"YES - Steve Howe, Alan White, Geoff Downes, Jon Davison and Billy Sherwood - want to thank all their fans for their support and understanding at this time.

"Steve Howe and family ask for their privacy to be respected during this difficult time."

The team looking after Howe's band Little Barrie also confirmed the news.

Bandmate Barrie Cadogan said: "We are heartbroken that we have lost our dear friend and brother Virgil Howe. Our thoughts are with his daughter, family and partner. Please respect their privacy during their difficult time."

Bassist Lewis Wharton added: "I am utterly devastated to lose my friend and a positive force in my life."

The cause of Howe's death is currently unknown.

Tributes for the musician are being paid by friends, fans and fellow artists.

Eddy Temple-Morris, a British DJ, wrote on Twitter: "A beautiful and brilliant man. Devastated by the news of @LittleBarrie's Virgil Howe today. My heart goes out to all friends and family."

Steve Mason wrote: "A beautiful man and colossal drummer. Horrible news. Will be hugely missed."

London-based musician Jake Bradford-Sharp told The Independent: "I knew him a bit as our paths crossed between my gigs and his DJ sets at the Roadhouse in Covent Garden, and at Dirty Harry's on Wardour Street.

"He had nothing but nice words to say and was always very positive - I couldn't believe it when I read the news this morning."

The band Sisteray wrote: "So sad to hear about [the] passing of Little Barrie's Virgil Howe... god bless ya fella and thoughts to the family. RIP."

False Heads frontman Luke Griffiths told The Independent: "My friend Dom who knew Virgil pretty well introduced us after sending him some of our music. After that I went on his Soho Radio show every now and then and got to know him - he'd bring a few beers in and we'd have a chat beforehand.

"We kept in touch, he was just the nicest bloke going - always interested in what you were doing and wanting the best for you."

Little Barrie's best known song "Better Call Saul" was used as the theme for the hit Netflix drama of the same name.

The band released their fourth album Death Express in July this year and were supposed to set off on tour today [12 September]. They had just released a new music video for their song "Produkt".

Howe is survived by his wife of 10 years, presenter and model Jen Dawson, his daughter, his parents Steve and Janet Howe, and siblings Dylan, Georgia and Stephanie.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HPOFw0WVd-I

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XWKqwV3PJZg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yy2QAiewwWE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8mCmxhOLQ30
 Back to top »
Pizon

Post Posted: Thursday Oct 05, 2017 

Rock legend Tom Petty
 Back to top »
moxham123
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Post Posted: Monday Oct 09, 2017 

Bunny Sigler, R.I.P.

Walter "Bunny" Sigler, the singer and songwriter who aided the legendary production duo Gamble and Huff in crafting the "Philly Sound" of Seventies soul music, died Friday at the age of 76.

Sigler's longtime attorney Lloyd Remick confirmed the singer's death, adding that Sigler suffered a heart attack at his Philadelphia-area home Friday, the Associated Press reports.

"I am truly and deeply saddened by the passing of my very dear friend Walter 'Bunny' Sigler," Kenny Gamble said in a statement. "He was one of the most talented, creative, and great songwriters and music producers I have worked with. He contributed so many great songs to our [Philadelphia International Records] artist roster from the beginning. Bunny also was a great singer, and performed superbly on many of our hit songs as a background vocalist. More importantly, he was like family to us. And he was the best!"

Sigler's biggest hit as a singer came in 1967 with a cover of Leonard Lee's "Let the Good Times Roll," co-produced by Leon Huff, for Cameo-Parkway Records. When the label dissolved that same year, Sigler began working with Gamble and Huff's then-fledgling Philadelphia International Records, which became home to artists like the O'Jays, Harold Melvin and the Blue Notes, the Jacksons, Patti LaBelle and Instant Funk, who often worked as Sigler's backing band on the singer's own LPs.

"Bunny was one of my favorite producers and writers," Huff said in a statement. "I was honored early on to introduce Bunny to the Philadelphia music community, and to producer and songwriter legends John Madara and Dave White. I was privileged to write and produce his first and biggest hit, 'Let the Good Times Roll.' I truly loved Bunny Sigler and will truly miss him."
Sigler co-wrote three songs, performed on and co-produced the O'Jays' hit 1972 album Back Stabbers, which featured the Gamble & Huff-penned classic "Love Train."

One of Sigler's best-known tracks was Patti LaBelle's "Love, Need and Want You," a hit single in 1983 that was later sampled by artists like OutKast ("Ghettomuzick") and Nelly ("Dilemma").

"I'm deeply saddened by the passing of my friend and brother in music," LaBelle said in a statement to the Philadelphia Inquirer. "Bunny spent his life using his talents to bring love and joy to others and for that we are all grateful! He will truly be missed, but his legacy lives on!"

Jackie Moore's 1973 song "If," co-written and co-produced by Sigler and Phil Hurtt, was later sampled for Jay-Z's The Blueprint opener "The Ruler's Back."

In 2006, Sigler appeared on the Roots' Game Theory, providing vocals for "Long Time." On Instagram, Questlove penned a long tribute for the singer.

"Brother Bunny. Philadelphia quiet storm of class, style & hits. A pillar of the #SoundOfPhiladelphia community. He wrote classics that stood the test of time," Questlove wrote, compiling a list of just some of the artists to sample Sigler's music.

"Definitely a highlight for us working with him. He was the DEFINITION of cool man. ALWAYS lookin clean. Whenever you needed him he was there (I asked him to sing at my dad's services and he was like "say no more, you know we were almost in laws once" ----long family joke--) this cat will be missed man. Thank you for all you taught us."
 Back to top »
moxham123
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Post Posted: Monday Oct 09, 2017 

Jimmy Beaumont, frontman for The Skyliners, R.I.P.

Jimmy Beaumont, the golden-voiced singer of the Skyliners, died Saturday in his sleep at his home in McKeesport at age 76 after a career that lasted nearly 60 years.
 Back to top »
moxham123
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Post Posted: Thursday Oct 12, 2017 

Former Johnstown, PA area drummer Danny Adams R.I.P.
 Back to top »
moxham123
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Post Posted: Thursday Oct 12, 2017 

Dave Hlubeck of Molly Hatchet R.I.P.

Dave Hlubek, lead guitarist and co-founder of Southern rock icons Molly Hatchet, died at the age of 66 on September 2, 2017.

They said in a brief message: It is with great sorrow we announce the passing of our beloved friend and band member Dave Hlubek. Amongst his many contributions to southern rock is Flirtin' with Disaster. Our condolences and our prayers go out to his family during this time of loss. He will be missed but never forgotten, as the music lives on through his legacy in Molly Hatchet.
 Back to top »
moxham123
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Post Posted: Wednesday Oct 18, 2017 

Gord Downie of the Tragically Hip R.I.P.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/entertainment/gord-downie-obit-1.4359906
 Back to top »
moxham123
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Post Posted: Monday Oct 23, 2017 

Scott Putesky, (aka Daisy Berkowitz) Marilyn Manson & The Spooky Kids co-founder, R.I.P.
 Back to top »
moxham123
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Post Posted: Wednesday Oct 25, 2017 

Fats Domino R.I.P.
 Back to top »
moxham123
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Post Posted: Monday Nov 20, 2017 

Mel Tillis R.I.P.
 Back to top »
moxham123
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Post Posted: Wednesday Nov 22, 2017 

David Cassidy R.I.P.
 Back to top »
moxham123
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Post Posted: Monday Nov 27, 2017 

Wayne Cochran R.I.P.

Wayne Cochran, the influential singer dubbed "The White Knight of Soul" and writer of songs and original recording artist of "Last Kiss" and "Goin' Back to Miami," died November 21st in Miramar, Florida. He was 78.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yKDMRZv4SYc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w5_GstlPL64

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hTTJNdGHUQ8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EK_InoMOvi8

Cochran's son Christopher confirmed to the Miami Herald that the soul singer died following a battle with cancer. Cochran had resided in Florida since the mid-Eighties, when he left the music industry to become an evangelical minister in Miami.

"He was all about family," Christopher Cochran, also a pastor, told the Miami Herald. "Over the course of his 25-year career in the music industry he employed over 300 people with different members of the band and the people at his church. He always looked after people. He ran his building like a big family."

Known in the Sixties and Seventies for his towering platinum white pompadour, lively performances and volcanic stage presence, the Georgia-born singer penned his classic teen tragedy song "Last Kiss" at the age of 21. However, inspired by his friends and fellow Georgia singers like James Brown, Little Richard and Otis Redding – Cochran had played bass on some early Redding recordings – the crooner shifted towards blue-eyed soul and R&B as frontman of his C.C. Riders.

"I grew up with Otis and James and Little Richard, the horns and everything, I thought that was commonplace," Cochran told Late Night With David Letterman in 1982.

"So that's why we put together an R&B band. And I had been hanging out with them, and to me rhythm and blues was like a more intense rock… it was a little more intense than Top 40 rock, and once you ever sung it and expressed yourself, you really couldn't just go back to Top 40 rock… So I stayed with it, and tried to learn by hanging out with my friends and the people I begin to know in the black community, learn not only the music but the roots of it. I think that was important."

While Cochran himself didn't score many hits, his music would later impact the charts in the hands of other artists. "Last Kiss" largely went unnoticed when Cochran recorded his version in 1961, but a pair of covers – recorded nearly three decades apart – both climbed to Number Two on the Billboard Hot 100. J. Frank Wilson and the Cavaliers' version of "Last Kiss" sold over one million copies to peak at Number Two in 1964.

Thirty-four years later, Pearl Jam's rendition – recorded as a 1998 Christmas single for the band's Ten Club – became charts-wise the biggest hit of the band's Rock Hall career. Cochran would later influence artists ranging from Rod Stewart to the Blues Brothers, who covered "Goin' Back to Miami" in 1980.

Cochran is also credited with discovering legendary jazz bassist Jaco Pastorius, who got his start by playing bass for the C.C. Riders as a teenager after auditioning for Cochran. Pastorius would soon go on to perform alongside Joni Mitchell, Pat Metheny and the Weather Report.

Reflecting on his music and unique look, Cochran told Letterman in 1982, "What I did was naively sit in front of my house… listen to the radio in my daddy's car all night every night, and imagine what was happening at the Metropole [jazz venue] in New York, 'cause I figured one day I was gonna try to get there. So what I did then was put together a band doing what I thought I would have seen if I walked into the Metropole. Only when I got there, I found out there ain't nobody doing it. So from stupidity, I created."
 Back to top »
moxham123
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Post Posted: Thursday Nov 30, 2017 

Jim Nabors R.I.P.

Not only was he an actor (most notably Gomer Pyle), he was an accomplished singer recording 28 albums and numerous singles.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r5KeGccP9Jk
 Back to top »
moxham123
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Post Posted: Tuesday Dec 12, 2017 

Johnstown area musician Bill Venet, Sr. R.I.P.

http://www.hendersonfuneralhome.com/notices/William-VenetSr
 Back to top »
moxham123
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Post Posted: Wednesday Dec 13, 2017 

Pat DiNizio of The Smithereens R.I.P.

https://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-way/2017/12/13/570405135/smithereens-lead-singer-pat-dinizio-dies-at-age-62
 Back to top »
moxham123
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Post Posted: Thursday Dec 14, 2017 

Former Johnstown area drummer Chuck Kerrigan R.I.P.
 Back to top »
moxham123
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Post Posted: Tuesday Dec 26, 2017 

Remembering Those the Music World Lost in 2017

https://reverb.com/news/remembering-those-the-music-world-lost-in-2017
 Back to top »
moxham123
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Post Posted: Wednesday Jan 03, 2018 

Rick Hall, Music Producer Known for Muscle Shoals Sound, R.I.P.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/01/03/obituaries/rick-hall-muscle-shoals-dies.html
 Back to top »
moxham123
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Post Posted: Monday Jan 08, 2018 

Ray Thomas of The Moody Blues R.I.P.

LONDON (AP) - Ray Thomas, a founding member of British rock group The Moody Blues, has died at 76, months before the band is due to be inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame.

His music label, Esoteric Recordings/Cherry Red Records, said Thomas died suddenly Thursday at his home in Surrey, south of London.

"We are deeply shocked by his passing and will miss his warmth, humor and kindness," the label said Sunday. "It was a privilege to have known and worked with him and our thoughts are with his family and his wife Lee at this sad time."

No cause of death was given, but Thomas disclosed in 2014 that he had been diagnosed with prostate cancer.

Born in 1941, Thomas performed in rock and blues bands in the English Midlands city of Birmingham before founding The Moody Blues in 1964 with fellow musicians including Mike Pinder and Denny Laine.

The band's roots lay in blues and R&B, but its 1964 cover hit "Go Now" was a foretaste of the lush, orchestral sound that came to be called progressive rock.

The Moody Blues' 1967 album "Days of Future Passed" is a prog-rock landmark, and Thomas's flute solo on the single "Nights in White Satin" one of its defining moments.

Thomas wrote several songs for the band, including the trippy "Legend of a Mind" and "Veteran Cosmic Rocker."

Thomas released two solo albums after the band broke up in 1974. The Moody Blues later reformed, and Thomas remained a member before leaving around the turn of the millennium due to poor health.

The band is due to be inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in Cleveland, Ohio in April.
 Back to top »
moxham123
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Post Posted: Thursday Jan 11, 2018 

R&B singer songwriter Denise LaSalle R.I.P.
 Back to top »
moxham123
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Post Posted: Thursday Jan 11, 2018 

Motorhead and Fastway Guitarist Fast Eddie Clarke R.I.P.

Eddie Clarke, the last surviving member of Motorhead's classic line-up, has died at the age of 67.

The band's Facebook page announced that the guitarist died in hospital after being admitted with pneumonia.

Clarke, whose nickname was Fast Eddie, played with Lemmy Kilmister and Phil "Philthy Animal" Taylor in the heavy metal band between 1976-82.

He played on the first six Motorhead albums, later going on to form Fastway with UFO bassist Peter Way.

The social media statement also contained tributes from later band members including guitarist Phil Campbell.

He said: "Just heard the sad news that Fast Eddie Clarke has passed away. He will be remembered for his iconic riffs and was a true rock and roller, RIP Eddie."

The band's ex-drummer Mikkey Dee added: "This is terrible news, the last of the three amigos.

"I saw Eddie not too long ago and he was in great shape, so this is a complete shock. I was looking forward to seeing him in the UK this summer.

"Now Lem and Philthy can jam with Eddie again and if you listen carefully I'm sure you'll hear them, so watch out!"
 Back to top »
moxham123
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Post Posted: Monday Jan 15, 2018 

Cranberries singer Dolores O'Riordan dies suddenly aged 46
 Back to top »
moxham123
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Post Posted: Tuesday Jan 16, 2018 

Gospel Performer Edwin Hawkins R.I.P.