The Musician Death Thread
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14 ... 22, 23, 24  Next
ROCKPAGE Forum Index » General Discussion
previous topic :: next topic  
moxham123
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Post Posted: Monday Jan 22, 2018 

Former local musician Mike Laughrey R.I.P.

Mike played in many area bands including Smilin' Dogg.

Michael Patrick Laughrey, 63, passed away January 15, 2018. He was born March 6, 1954 to the late Dorothy and Daniel Laughrey in Johnstown, PA. He was a 1972 graduate of Richland High School, Johnstown, PA and a 1982 graduate of Carpentry Apprentice. He was a member of Prince of Peace Lutheran Church and Aragona Moose Lodge. He worked as a carpenter superintendent for 35 years. His passions were playing guitar, fishing, and the Pittsburgh Steelers. He is survived by his loving wife, Gail Y. Laughrey; two daughters, Rachel M. Grimes and Lindsay Y. Laughrey; one brother, Christopher Laughrey (Cathy); three grandchildren, Kirstin and Austin Grimes and Udica Smith; one nephew, Sean Laughrey (Lindsey); son-in-law, Curtis Crain. A memorial service will be 3PM, Sunday, Prince of Peace Lutheran Church, 424 Kings Grant Rd. Virginia Beach. Pittsburgh Steelers attire is appreciated. In lieu of flowers, donations may be made to a local SPCA in Michael's memory.
 Back to top »
moxham123
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Jim Rodford of The Zombies, Argent, & The Kinks R.I.P.
 Back to top »
moxham123
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Former Judas Priest and Trapeze Drummer Dave Holland R.I.P.
 Back to top »
moxham123
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Post Posted: Tuesday Jan 23, 2018 

Jazz musician Hugh Masekela R.I.P.
 Back to top »
moxham123
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Post Posted: Wednesday Jan 24, 2018 

Country musician and singer Lari White R.I.P.
 Back to top »
moxham123
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Post Posted: Thursday Jan 25, 2018 

Mark E Smith, founder and lead singer with the Fall, R.I.P.
 Back to top »
moxham123
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Post Posted: Friday Feb 02, 2018 

Dennis Edwards of The Temptations R.I.P.

Dennis Edwards, who joined the Temptations in 1968 and sang on a string of the group's hits including "I Can't Get Next to You," "Ball of Confusion" and "Papa Was a Rollin' Stone" in an initial tenure that stretched to 1977 and then other later lineups of the group, has died. His family confirmed the news to CBS News, saying he was in Chicago at the time of his death, though did not disclose a cause of death. He was 74.
 Back to top »
moxham123
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Post Posted: Monday Feb 05, 2018 

Drummer Leon "Ndugu" Chancler R.I.P.

Leon "Ndugu" Chancler, a prolific jazz drummer, producer and session musician who played drums on Michael Jackson's classic "Billie Jean," died Saturday at age 65. His wife, Brenda, confirmed Chancler's death to Rolling Stone. A cause of death was not immediately revealed.

Over the course of Chancler's six-decade career, the drummer collaborated with or performed live alongside jazz legends like Miles Davis, Thelonious Monk, Weather Report and Hugh Masekela, singers like Frank Sinatra, Lionel Richie, James Brown and Tina Turner, rockers like Carlos Santana and Eric Clapton and dozens more artists.
 Back to top »
moxham123
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Post Posted: Thursday Feb 08, 2018 

Drummer and actor Mickey Jones R.I.P.

http://www.latimes.com/local/obituaries/la-me-mickey-jones-20180207-story.html
 Back to top »
moxham123
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Post Posted: Friday Feb 09, 2018 

Longtime Foghat bassist Craig MacGregor has died at age 68. The classic rock band broke the sad news earlier today that MacGregor passed away after a prolonged battle with cancer.
 Back to top »
Jim Price

Post Posted: Saturday Feb 10, 2018 

Former Mr. Big drummer Pat Torpey passes at age 64: http://www.nydailynews.com/entertainment/music/pat-torpey-drummer-mr-big-dead-64-article-1.3809432

http://pamusician.net
 Back to top »
moxham123
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Post Posted: Monday Feb 26, 2018 

Barbara Alston, Singer in '60s Girl Group the Crystals, R.I.P.

https://www.billboard.com/articles/news/8217915/barbara-alston-dead-flu-the-crystals
 Back to top »
moxham123
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Post Posted: Tuesday Feb 27, 2018 

Johnstown area drummer Don Wilson, R.I.P.
 Back to top »
moxham123
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Post Posted: Monday Mar 05, 2018 

Bill Burkette of The Vogues R.I.P.
 Back to top »
moxham123
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Post Posted: Tuesday Mar 13, 2018 

The Ventures Nokie Edwards R.I.P.

http://theventures.com/rip-nokie-edwards-may-9-1935-march-12-2018/
 Back to top »
moxham123
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Post Posted: Wednesday Mar 21, 2018 

Pat Travers Band bassist Peter Mars Cowling R.I.P.
 Back to top »
moxham123
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Post Posted: Friday Apr 27, 2018 

Charles Neville, The Neville Brothers, R.I.P.

http://www.nola.com/music/index.ssf/2018/04/charles_neville_smiling_saxoph.html
 Back to top »
moxham123
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Post Posted: Friday Apr 27, 2018 

Former singer and regional radio station Greg Banks (aka Steve Austin) R.I.P.

I am very sorry to report that my good friend, Greg Banks, passed away on April 19th. Greg was a terrific guy and performed in bands in the 1970s as well as being a radio station DJ in Huntingdon, Altoona, and Johnstown, PA on several stations.

Gregory Banks, 63, of 8954 Standing Stone Road, Apt. 1, Huntingdon, PA, died at 7:13a.m. Thursday, April 19, at his home. Born November 4, 1954, in Huntingdon, PA, he was the son of the late Virgil and Cornelia (Harris) Banks. Mr. Banks is survived by two sons, Josh Banks of North Carolina and Adam Banks of Altoona. Three brothers, Phillip Banks and Chester Banks, both of Altoona, and Jerome Banks of Huntingdon, also survive him. He was preceded in death by his son, Adam's twin brother, Jonathan Banks, May 14, 2004; and three brothers, Virgil III, Cornelius "Corky" and Robert. Mr. Banks was a member of the Payne Church, Huntingdon. He was a member of NAACP, the Johnstown Chapter of the Jaycees and served as the chairman of the board of the Huntingdon County Drop-In Center. Mr. Banks spent over 50 years working in the music broadcasting and production industry. From 1982-1983, he was the first black American on WTAJ television. Mr. Banks worked at many area radio stations, appearing on air under the name "Steve Austin". He was the owner/operator of Banks Grocery & Entertainment Store in Johnstown from 1995-2000. Mr. Banks was the CEO of Banks Entertainment Group from 200-2004 and, from 2010 to the present, was the owner/operator of Banks Media Group, which ran AirNetwork.com, church programs and local sporting events. A Celebration of Life will be held during Juneteenth Saturday June 16, at Portstown Park, Huntingdon, PA.
 Back to top »
moxham123
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Post Posted: Monday Jun 11, 2018 

Former Fleetwood Mac guitarist Danny Kirwan, R.I.P.

Mick Fleetwood says former Fleetwood Mac guitarist Danny Kirwan has died at age 68. Fleetwood says in a Facebook post that Kirwan died Friday in London. No cause of death was given.

Kirwan was part of the iconic band from 1968-1972, playing on the albums "Then Play On," ''Blues Jam at Chess," ''Kiln House," Future Games" and "Bare Trees."

Kirwan was among the eight members of the band -- along with Fleetwood, Stevie Nicks, Lindsey Buckingham, Peter Green, John McVie, Christine McVie and Jeremy Spencer -- who were inducted into the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame in 1998.

Fleetwood Mac's announcement from their Facebook page said "Danny was a huge force in our early years. His love for the Blues led him to being asked to join Fleetwood Mac in 1968, where he made his musical home for many years."
 Back to top »
moxham123
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Post Posted: Thursday Jun 14, 2018 

Elvis Presley Drummer D.J. Fontana R.I.P.

Dominic Joseph "D.J." Fontana, the longtime drummer for Elvis Presley who helped pioneer the backbeat swing of rock and roll, died Wednesday at 87.

Fontana played with Presley for 14 years, accompanying him on over 460 cuts for RCA including rock and roll standards like "Blue Suede Shoes," "Heartbreak Hotel," "Hound Dog" and "Jailhouse Rock." Fontana was with Elvis during his landmark appearance on The Ed Sullivan Show in 1956, as well as his legendary "'68 Comback Special" In 2009, he was inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame.

Known for his no-nonsense style of drumming, Fontana injected early rockabilly with the swing of big band music. At a time when many country and bluegrass groups were shunning drums altogether, Fontana's mere presence behind the kit was revolutionary in its own right. Still, Fontana aimed to keep things simple in a way that complemented not just Elvis, but also his other bandmates, bassist Bill Black and guitarist Scotty Moore (Black and Moore died in 1965 and 2016, respectively). "I just learned how to stay out of their way and let them do what they had to," he said in 1987. "It sounded better to me that way."

Born in Shreveport, Louisiana, Fontana began playing drums in high school and was eventually hired as the in-house drummer on the long-running radio and television show, Louisiana Hayride. He backed an array of famed country artists, including Webb Pierce and Faron Young, on the show and met Elvis there in 1954.

At the time, Sun Records impresario Sam Philips had already paired Presley with Moore and Black, and the trio had already cut Elvis' debut single, "That's All Right, Mama." In a 1984 interview with The Tennessean, Fontana recalled hearing Elvis' early songs, saying, "They sent Elvis' records from Memphis. I thought the sound was really incredible. It was really different… When Elvis, Scotty Moore and Bill Black came down as a trio, Scotty approached me about drumming with them. We ran through about two or three songs backstage, including 'That's All Right, Mama.'"

Over the next 14 years, Fontana would accompany Elvis in the studio, on the road and in several films as well, such Jailhouse Rock and G.I. Blues. During the Sixties, however, he settled in Nashville and became an in-demand session musician just as Elvis' career was hitting its first lull. After reviving his career with the '"68 Comeback Special," Presley invited Fontana to play with him in Las Vegas, but the drummer chose to remain in Nashville instead.

Speaking to Rolling Stone last year, Fontana noted the spontaneity of the comeback special. "We didn't really rehearse," he admitted. "Just go out and wing it and do the best we could. Me and Scotty and Elvis, and that's all we really needed."

Fontana would play with an array of rock and country legends over the next several decades, including Ringo Starr, Paul McCartney, Charlie Pride, Jerry Lee Lewis, Waylon Jennings, Dolly Parton and Roy Orbison. In 1997, Fontana reunited with Moore for an all-star record, All The King's Men, which featured guest appearances from Keith Richards, Levon Helm, Steve Earle, Cheap Trick, Ron Wood and Jeff Beck.

In an interview with Massachusetts television station WGBH, Fontana recalled the first night he, Elvis, Moore and Black played together as the quartet that would go on to launch and define rock and roll. "Well, the first night people were polite, just kind of like the Grand Ol' Opry," he said. "But it was a country, older crowd, and I think what they did, they went home and told their kids, 'There's a boy down at the Louisiana Hayride you got to go see.' The next couple weekends we had nothing but kids, so that was the breaking point actually. The kids would scream and holler, crying and all that stuff. And I think that's what really got it started."
 Back to top »
moxham123
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Post Posted: Monday Jun 18, 2018 

Matt (Guitar) Murphy, notable blues guitarist, R.I.P.

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/ny-news-matt-guitar-murphy-dead-20180616-story.html
 Back to top »
moxham123
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Post Posted: Monday Jun 25, 2018 

Vinnie Paul, Pantera Drummer and Co-Founder, R.I.P.

Vinnie Paul, drummer and founding member of the heavy metal band Pantera, died at the age of 54 Friday night, the band announced on Facebook. No immediate cause of death was provided.
 Back to top »
moxham123
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Post Posted: Wednesday Jul 04, 2018 

Producer, multi-instrumentalist, and singer-songwriter Richard Swift R.I.P.

He was a member of the Shins and worked with The Black Keys and The Arcs

https://pitchfork.com/news/richard-swift-dead-at-41/amp/
 Back to top »
moxham123
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Post Posted: Thursday Aug 16, 2018 

Aretha Franklin R.I.P

https://www.nbcnews.com/pop-culture/pop-culture-news/aretha-franklin-undisputed-queen-soul-dies-age-76-n822841
 Back to top »
moxham123
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Post Posted: Thursday Aug 23, 2018 

Ed King, Lynyrd Skynyrd and Strawberry Alarm Clock Guitarist, R.I.P.

Ed King, the Lynyrd Skynyrd guitarist who joined the band in 1972 to give the Southern rock group its iconic three-guitar sound, died Wednesday in Nashville. He was 68. A cause of death was not specified, though King had been battling lung cancer and had recently been hospitalized for the disease.

A message on King's Facebook confirmed his death: “It is with great sorrow we announce the passing of Ed King who died at his home in Nashville, Tennessee on August 22nd, 2018. We thank his many friends and fans for their love and support of Ed during his life and career.”

A California native, King was a founding member of the psychedelic Sixties band Strawberry Alarm Clock, known for their hit “Incense and Peppermints.” He offered to join Skynyrd when, opening for the band at the Jacksonville, Florida, bar the Comic Book Club in 1968, he heard them rehearsing the song “Need All My Friends.” It wasn’t until 1972, however, when King would sign on with Skynyrd, temporarily replacing bassist Leon Wilkeson and then becoming a full-fledged member as third guitarist.

King played on the band’s first three albums: 1973’s (Pronounced Leh-nerd Skin-nerd), 1974’s Second Helping and 1975’s Nuthin’ Fancy. He most famously co-wrote Second Helping‘s “Sweet Home Alabama” " that’s him counting off “1, 2, 3” in the song’s intro " which, along with “Free Bird,” has become synonymous with the group.

After a dust-up with singer Ronnie Van Zant, King, tired of the Skynyrd drama and propensity for fighting, exited the band in 1975, detailing the incident in the superb new documentary If I Leave Here Tomorrow: A Film About Lynyrd Skynyrd.

“I’m the hippie from Southern California. I’m not digging the violence part,” King said, recounting how a broken string at a show in Pittsburgh earned him the wrath of the mercurial Van Zant. “Ronnie and my guitar roadie who changed my strings were thrown in jail in Ann Arbor. They didn’t arrive … until 10 minutes before we went on. I had to play on old strings and I broke two strings during ‘Free Bird.’ After, Ronnie was riding me, and a lightbulb went off and I said, ‘That’s it.’ I went back to my room, packed up my stuff and left.”

King is a highlight of If I Leave Here Tomorrow, offering keen firsthand insight into the Southern band as an outsider from California. On the album cover for Pronounced, King is pictured far right, a bit detached from the group.

Guitarist Gary Rossington, the lone original member of the Lynyrd Skynyrd that tours today, quipped on King’s aloof, business-minded nature in the documentary. “He’d stop and buy $100 worth of Slim Jims and have them in a briefcase and, driving an hour or two, you get hungry, he’d sell them to us at triple the price,” he said.

Following King’s death, Rossington released a statement. “I’ve just found out about Ed’s passing and I’m shocked and saddened,” he said. “Ed was our brother, and a great songwriter and guitar player. I know he will be reunited with the rest of the boys in Rock and Roll Heaven. Our thoughts and prayers are with his family.”
 Back to top »
ROCKPAGE Forum Index » General Discussion
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14 ... 22, 23, 24  Next
Page 13 of 24

Jump to: