Go to page Previous  1, 2
ROCKPAGE Forum Index » The Law
previous topic :: next topic  
lonewolf
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Post Posted: Thursday Aug 04, 2005 

Bert|Evil wrote:
What motivates the Commonwealth of PA in these witch hunts that are so reminiscent of Holy Roman Empire societies? Do the monies from DUIs, liquor control gestapo raids, and underage drinking fund all of the misappropriation (asphalting the same roads in a yearly basis, over-funded service organizations, etc.) that the Commonwealth refuses to become more efficient upon? Is it that the Commonwealth receives revenue for State Stores that serve alcohol, but yet they pay the salaries of the state workers who man them?

Will the two examples that I’ve listed be the only reasons to why we will not face another prohibition? Once you’ve lived in other commonwealths, you will easily see just how draconian Pennsylvania is!

BERT FOR PRESIDENT!!!!!!!!!!

I doubt if Rendell knows anything about it. It looks like the Altoona office is a rogue group on its own crusade. The Altoona office covers a pretty big area, including Blair, Bedford, Cambria, Huntingdon, Centre and others. Thats where all of the noise busts have been.
Mackovyak

Sorry to hear that Dean,
I've always like hitting the Castle Pub. What sucks worse is the other people who are suffering along with the Musicians and Bar Owners...

The Bar Staff (college kids, bartenders, bouncers, sound guys, ect)

also the local music shops, recording studios, ect ect.

A question for those in the radio industry.....

If a grassroots organization would purchase radio airtime for a commercial about this, what would it cost? Sort of like the Truth ads for cigarettes on T.V. ??

What I'm getting it is that the Altoona area is very much blue collar and many people don't know this is going on unless they are well into the music scene. Especially b/c their not complaining. Why not put some public pressure on the PLCB by bringing it to the attention of the public that they are now taking matters into their own hands when there's not really a public outcry against these live music.

I don't know, just a thought.

On a pillow of your bones
I will lay across the stones
Of your shore until the tide comes crawling back
 Back to top »
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Bert|Evil
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

The more $$$$ that dump into your club, the more that you interest the PLCE. Anyways, that would seem to be the trend.

Shooters, Castle, etc.
 Back to top »
Bert|Evil
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Mackovyak wrote:
Sorry to hear that Dean,
I've always like hitting the Castle Pub. What sucks worse is the other people who are suffering along with the Musicians and Bar Owners...

The Bar Staff (college kids, bartenders, bouncers, sound guys, ect)

also the local music shops, recording studios, ect ect.

If a grassroots organization would purchase radio airtime for a commercial about this, what would it cost? Sort of like the Truth ads for cigarettes on T.V. ??

What I'm getting it is that the Altoona area is very much blue collar and many people don't know this is going on unless they are well into the music scene. Especially b/c their not complaining. Why not put some public pressure on the PLCB by bringing it to the attention of the public that they are now taking matters into their own hands when there's not really a public outcry against these live music.

I don't know, just a thought.

Good point!! As I mentioned in an earlier post, it would appear that we're on our way to another prohibition (if you never mind the $$$ that the state makes out of all of this). Why not have some anti-PLCE T-shirts, bumper stickers, and commercials on our way to the speak-eazy clubs.
 Back to top »
Jim Price

Mackovyak wrote:

Quote:

I'm not sure about the cost of airtime on my station for such spots (I don't deal with the advertising/rates side of it, I just do the on air thing); but if a grass roots organization were to come together to fight this issue, heightening public awareness about the problem and its harmful effects could bring some outcry.

If an organized effort were to come together, I could mention it on the "Backyard Rocker," particularly if the organization schedules meetings or other events that could be publicized as news items or PSA's.

You can also generate publicity about the problem with letters to local newspapers (I had one published last winter, which brought an email response directly to me from a state police official who thought I was merely a mouthpiece for a club that got busted). You can also call in local radio talk shows (WRTA from 9 AM to 11:45 AM) to stir discussion and let people outside the local music scene know what is going on.

I'm not sure what effect the publicity would ultimately have. I know a few years ago, when the state police LCE barred teens from attending the Lakemont Park Wing-Off's, public pressure on the PLCB through letters and publicity resulted in the PLCB telling the local state police to reverse their decision and let teens attend the Wing-Off's. That situation impacted children, which can get people fired up pretty quickly. I'm not sure this situation would generate the same sense of urgency with the public. Public outcry and pressure could work, or it could just give the state police a black eye and piss them off more (resulting in more crackdowns?). And I'm not too hopeful about our state legislators taking an interest, based on their past response to our efforts (and how concerned can we expect them to be about us when they just voted themselves a pay raise?).

An idea I'm considering is drafting a letter to the American Federation of Musicians (AFM), to explain the situation to them, and solicit feedback from them about how we might go about addressing this problem. Perhaps they have dealt with similar situations before in other parts of the country, and might have some wisdom or advice about what course of action we might take.

http://pamusician.net
 Back to top »
redawg
Retroactive Member
Retroactive Member

Post Posted: Friday Aug 05, 2005 

My favorite job in the world is/WAS running sound and lights for bands. Now it's gone Mad Mad Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Sad Sad Sad Confused Shocked Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad

http://www.myspace.com/redawgrocks

http://www.facebook.com/redawgsolinski
 Back to top »
HurricaneBob
AA Member
AA Member

We need someone on the inside...this is just gestapo crap. One mans say against a club and musicians without a complaint. Theres got to be a loophole somewhere, good searches Ron!
 Back to top »
getclosertothemusic
Gold Member
Gold Member

JP you mentioned about the Lakemont Park Wing Off thing and how it affected the kids, the will too. It will discourage kids from getting involved in the music scene. If they feel that there is no future in this area for live local music, they aren't going to get involved. We can't let that happen. We MUST at least try to do something to help this situation. I'm like Griff, I don't have any ideas on how to do this, but we will be monitoring this and will be willing to help any way we can.

Cathy & Ed
GCTTM
 Back to top »
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Jerry C

Post Posted: Saturday Aug 06, 2005 

Hey Dean,
Sorry to hear this. The Inmates always had a great time at the Pub. A citation without a complaint is profiling a business and is ridiculous. It is total discrimination!! Maybe that word should be used more. I know an owner who was to have acoustic music on an outdoor patio, with no one for miles around, and was threatened to be fined by th LCE if they did. They can't be allowed to continue like this.
 Back to top »
ROCKPAGE Forum Index » The Law
Go to page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: